India v England | 1st Test | Chennai | 11-15 Dec 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now England will start to think about their pathetic RR today, should have scored 60-80 more runs today, they scored at around 2runs per over most of the day.

It's still in England's favour but i they will be a lot more scared now.

Gambhir gets away with one. Lady luck smiling on India at the moment, but all credit to Sehwag and India for making their own luck with their positive approach.

I still dont like sehwag's style of batting but you have to admire hie temperament.

Momo said:
There's a gentleman in the Indian camp with extremely indecently short shorts on.
:)

Get a life and stop judging other people on what they wear. If the guy wants to wear them, why not.

Sehwag having a word with KP on negative bowling. Coming from India a bit rich, but I am against this leg stump bowling stuff. Shameful stuff!

viru was gone man harper should use his eyes man :po: :po: :pissed: :pissed:

legslip said:
Get a life and stop judging other people on what they wear. If the guy wants to wear them, why not.
That was a

J
O
K
E

sir. I apologize for the discomfort caused.
:inzi

Momo said:
Sehwag having a word with KP on negative bowling. Coming from India a bit rich, but I am against this leg stump bowling stuff. Shameful stuff!

England also used these tactics on their previous two tours of India with Ashley Giles in 2001 and Monty Panesar in 2006 and it worked brilliantly.

legslip said:
Fair enough, but it weren't funny.
Well my apologies for that too. To you, to the gentleman with the indecent shorts, and to the mini-shorts themselves.

legslip said:
England also used these tactics on their previous two tours of India with Ashley Giles in 2001 and Monty Panesar in 2006 and it worked brilliantly.
It may have been brilliant, but I am not a fan. India has used that frequently too (Bhajji recently, and Tendulkar when he used to bowl). Not cricket!

Momo said:
Well my apologies for that too. To you, to the gentleman with the indecent shorts, and to the mini-shorts themselves.

Seems legslip likes mini shorts too :yk

Momo said:

LOL, Momo bhaii jaan aap bohat paddai hain.

target certainly looking reachable now .......india require another 281 runs with 10 wickets remaining ....still they have some great work to do alot will depend on Sehwag's dismissal and how Dravid sets up his innings

Xoib said:
Seems legslip likes mini shorts too :yk
Yes. Extremely short. Excessively short. Very short shorts.

P.S. Xoib, you killer!
:))) :))) :)))
Sorry to have been slow on the uptake!
Hahahaha.....

Last edited:
What an innings though! One of the best exhibitions I have witnessed. Well played Viru.

Amazing knock from Sehwag that's given India a genuine chance of winning this game.
I'm very glad to see the back of him!

Mountain of boredom enters the ground. Now see the tempo of the match change.

22.6 Swann to Sehwag, OUT, Swann has his man! Sehwag goes to paddle one across the line, the ball hits him as it turns, he has gotten a ways forward and Harper upholds a massive appeal from the bowler, that one struck the back pad and looked like it would hit leg stump so a fascinating innings comes to a sudden end

117/1 (23.1 ov)
India require another 270 runs with 9 wickets

one of the best knock under pressure for india in recent times ..ideally shoud have played for stumps , but his innings has given us a chance here !

Dravid in next, i don't think people are expecting much from him. Ian botham talking about his terrific record but his stats don't look so good now.

even a 50 under such circumstances would give Dravid alot of confidence and india a good chance

The first 'well-left' by Dravid. Prepare yourselves for hundreds more. I don't know why they named him 'the wall'. Should have called him 'the slow death'.

Dravid exhibiting a pretty straight bat. This youngster's surely got talent.
:)))

jusarrived said:
waht ever the end result , this has been a very good test match to watch !
It has. With the exception of the boring stuff by ENG this afternoon. But overall an exciting match. Going into day 5, all three results possible (if you allow me to use the grandpa of all cliches).
:ibutt

legslip said:
Gotta support England against arch rivals India, and so should you be.
I used to have that policy. Now I operate on the following:

Support any other team against India, except Australia and England.
When it comes to Ind v Aus, or Ind v Eng, enjoy the match without worrying about the result, and subject to humiliation whoever loses.

Momo said:
It has. With the exception of the boring stuff by ENG this afternoon. But overall an exciting match. Going into day 5, all three results possible (if you allow me to use the grandpa of all cliches).
:ibutt

dunno why any one was surprised with that approach ...if you have noticed most teams do that recently ...its not that they cudnt have scored more , but the fact that they had decided to set india a target of around 400 in ~125 overs ..they wer just playing out overs at their own pace to set that total ...!

Big Harvey said:
Is there enough time left for that?
I am afraid not. At this rate (he has scored 1 off 12), he will need 1200 deliveries to get a 100.

Momo said:
I am afraid not. At this rate (he has scored 1 off 12), he will need 1200 deliveries to get a 100.

lol how convenient , its 2 of 15...dravid has changed gears now ...will need only 750 balls @ this rate

What a fantastic Test match!

England lost their way this afternoon, and Sehwag's assault on the new ball has left the game wide open. Anything could happen tomorrow.

Man, this test is more exciting than that crappy series with Australia

There are three possible options:

1. England win: Hats of to KP and his boys. You have done your supporters very proud

2 Indian win: Dhoni needs to be knighted for the belief he has instilled in this team ever since we departed the world cup in such disgraceful circumstances

3. Draw: Dear Santa. Give me an early Christmas present in the form of an Indian win. Either way, England have to be commended for a brilliant and inspiring effort

What are your bets chaps?

jusarrived said:
dunno why any one was surprised with that approach ...if you have noticed most teams do that recently ...its not that they cudnt have scored more , but the fact that they had decided to set india a target of around 400 in ~125 overs ..they wer just playing out overs at their own pace to set that total ...!
Fair enough. But why not score at 4 and set 410 instead of 380 in the same 125 overs?

Momo said:
Looking forward to Dravid's exciting strokeplay tomorrow.
I wonder what would happen if Dravid reads your message. Poor chap wouldn't even be able to sleep tonight.

Last edited:
Sehwag really, really is under rated

If India win this, then ..... wow!!!!!!!!!

If England get Dravid and SRT out before lunch I think the rest will collapse.

Robert said:
If England get Dravid and SRT out before lunch I think the rest will collapse.

Dravid is woeful atm and when has Sachin done anything in a 4th innings chase.

Gambhir, Dhoni and Bhaji will be the key.

What on earth were England playing at during the afternoon session today.

They had the opposition on its knees and proceeded to score less than 60 runs and lose 5 wickets in that session.

I was expecting an attacking team now that KP is in charge, but that was woeful stuff.

Will be very exciting to watch the last day´s play:)! So far good going by India:19:!

Momo said:
I used to have that policy. Now I operate on the following:

Support any other team against India, except Australia and England.
When it comes to Ind v Aus, or Ind v Eng, enjoy the match without worrying about the result, and subject to humiliation whoever loses.

Good policy to adopt, but having been born and bred in England, thori see wafadari to dekhane parte hai England ko hum British desion ko, Momo bhaii, or we're accused of not integrating into British society.

Last edited:
we have a chance now! I told all y'all yesterday...we can do this. Come on India!

Virender sehwag is the best batsman in the world, I have been saying this for forever now. and he always performs and seems to be getting better every day.

Sehwag's the best batsman in the world because he has scored 92 runs in the match?

A good knock today, and all that, but he won't be there for the crunch and has not played the match-winning innings, as is usually the case. One of the Indian batsmen to come shall do that, or else Andrew Strauss has already done so. Sehwag is clearly a long way from being anything other than a gifted entertainer. The best batsmen in the world, meanwhile, continue to win matches for their team.

As for the match, the psychology of the chase will be difficult, as is often the case with big scores. India may ONLY be 250 away, but they've still got an awful long way to go. I still fancy India to win this, but more because England aren't good enough or mentally strong enough to secure victory than because India are outstanding.

What this match has shown me is that the title of 'world champions' is very much up for grabs for any side willing to take it, for India are not a special side by any stretch of the imagination. Their pace attack is ordinary and their spin attack is ordinary. When Tendulkar retires, they shall only have an above average batting line-up, held together by their opening pair.

South Africa, the world is yours if you want it.

undisputed said:
Virender sehwag is the best batsman in the world, I have been saying this for forever now. and he always performs and seems to be getting better every day.
Keep on saying it some more and you might even convince yourself.

Augustus said:
Sehwag's the best batsman in the world because he has scored 92 runs in the match?

A good knock today, and all that, but he won't be there for the crunch and has not played the match-winning innings, as is usually the case. One of the Indian batsmen to come shall do that, or else Andrew Strauss has already done so. Sehwag is clearly a long way from being anything other than a gifted entertainer. The best batsmen in the world, meanwhile, continue to win matches for their team.

Although I agree 110% that Sehwag is far from being the BEST batsman in the world, I somehow fail to understand this "match-winning" innings requirement for being the best.
So what exactly is the match-winning performance? If you play an excellent knock and rest of the team fails to support you, does that make you any less skilled batsman? Or is this term invented just to play down great performances by batsmen that you dont really want to appreciate?

Hail-Akram said:
Although I agree 110% that Sehwag is far from being the BEST batsman in the world, I somehow fail to understand this "match-winning" innings requirement for being the best.
So what exactly is the match-winning performance? If you play an excellent knock and rest of the team fails to support you, does that make you any less skilled batsman? Or is this term invented just to play down great performances by batsmen that you dont really want to appreciate?
I agree, just because the rest of the team fails to support it doesn't mean that he is any less of a player. Although saying he is the best Batsman in the world is a very brash statement to make, we can clearly see he is talented. If he continues to perform like this for the next couple of years he has last, it wouldn't surprise me if he does become the best batsman in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back