India v England | 1st Test | Chennai | 11-15 Dec 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good 100 by Straus. Collingwood deserves the ton too he is probably the most under rated cricketer going around...

Wow, one just kicked up out of nowhere! The pitch starting to misbehave?

India a mile behind on the over rate, Dhoni using that tactic again I see.

Lead 319, India are toast

Random Aussie said:
McGrath/Warne - or do you mean the whole team?

You never know Momo, we might find some new players. But the current team are not going to dominate cricket.
Yes mainly McGrath/Warne. But don't forget Martin and Gilly either. Yes, the current team won't dominate cricket. Without a quality spinner, it will be hard.

Which reminds me of:

Who was the last quality Aussie spinner before Warne?
Benaud?
[I am not talking about the Peter Taylors here.]

Last edited:
Momo said:
Yes mainly McGrath/Warne. But don't forget Martin and Gilly either. Yes, the current team won't dominate cricket. Without a quality spinner, it will be hard.

Which reminds me of:

Who was the last quality Aussie spinner before Warne?
Benaud?
[I am not talking about the Peter Taylors here.]

Yep probably Benaud, who is a bit underrated - he was very very good.

Bruce Yardley was OK, averaged 31 and a half. I may have missed someone here but doubt it.

But it has been either good leg spinner or nothing for most of our cricket.

Random Aussie said:
Yep probably Benaud, who is a bit underrated - he was very very good.

Bruce Yardley was OK, averaged 31 and a half. I may have missed someone here but doubt it.

But it has been either good leg spinner or nothing for most of our cricket.

Ashley Mallett wasn't bad.

anyone know who is showing the game in Pakistan, since GEO super is showing the pentagular cup

Random Aussie said:
Knew I forgot someone!

You must be very happy with England's performance in this game Big Harvey

Happy with the way things are going, certainly.

Having said that, I thought India's batsmen mostly got themselves out. I didn't think our bowlers apart from Flintoff bowled all that well in the first innings.

Momo said:
RA, post the once-in-a-century-combination, I believe it is finally a problem of class, not form.

But hey, after fifteen years as the undisputed kings of cricket, I'd say not a moment too soon.
Come on, not 15 years of domination. Their domination started right after the 1999 World Cup.

Random Aussie said:
Slow start by England, there's a surprise

Collingwood hits a 4444

257 ahead

That dropped catch by the world's greatest skipper of the world's greatest team looks like costing India the match. I believe itduzz called it first. :batman:
Glad you finally accepted that :19:

bublubhuyan said:
Come on, not 15 years of domination. Their domination started right after the 1999 World Cup.

Aus have been the best side in the world since 1993. Not dominant in the early years but better performed than any other team.

But yeah after 1999 when the Waugh era kicked in then we started slaughtering teams.

England lead by 328 and India have the record for the shortest reign as best team in the world :D

Random Aussie said:
Aus have been the best side in the world since 1993. Not dominant in the early years but better performed than any other team.

But yeah after 1999 when the Waugh era kicked in then we started slaughtering teams.
Not a chance. South Africa was the best side from about 1994 till about 1997/98. Sri Lankans were at par with South Africa in 1997. Aussies became the best team after the 1999 World Cup. Even in that WC, they had to struggle big time to reach the Super SIXES. From then onwards it was like magic.

Last edited:
Collingwood brings up his 100 in style with a nudge around the corner for a single, then Strauss goes next ball.

England need to start forcing the pace here. We want to get India batting before tea.

bublubhuyan said:
Not a chance. South Africa was the best side from about 1994 till about 1997/98. Sri Lankans were at par with South Africa in 1997. Aussies became the best team after the 1999 World Cup. Even in that WC, they had to struggle big time to reach the Super SIXES. From then onwards it was like magic.

We beat South Africa 3 nil in 1993 - 1994

Drew with them in SAF in 1994

Beat Sri Lanka 3 nil in 1995-1996

Beat South Africa 1 nil in 1998

:aiqbal

Random Aussie said:
We beat South Africa 3 nil in 1993 - 1994

Drew with them in SAF in 1994

Beat Sri Lanka 3 nil in 1995-1996

Beat South Africa 1 nil in 1998

:aiqbal
At that time even the depleted Indian side defeated Australia on numerous occasions. We defeated Australia every time we met in the 1996 Titan Cup, in fact Australia couldn't even win one game in that tournament (S.A being the other team). Then India defeated Australia in the 1998 Test series, won every match bar the finals in the ODI series, then at Sharjah, then knocked out Australia in the first match in the ICC knockout tournament.

Australia was never the top team until 1999. I have no ill feelings towards Australia, in fact I'm the first one to admire the way they dominated world cricket for so many years. But fact remains, Australia was never the best side in the world until 1999.

Random Aussie said:
In a total surprise to everyone, Flintoff fails with the bat.

5/263 lead is 338
Hate to watch Flintoff fail at any department. Love the guy, my favorite all rounder.

bublubhuyan said:

Random Aussie said:

The Aussies have been the dominant cricket force since 1993.

I'd say they have been pretty much the best cricket team in the world since 1987-88 considering everything, even though WI were the unofficial Test champions till 1993.

23 runs in 12 overs! What are the England players thinking?

bublubhuyan said:
At that time even the depleted Indian side defeated Australia on numerous occasions. We defeated Australia every time we met in the 1996 Titan Cup, in fact Australia couldn't even win one game in that tournament (S.A being the other team). Then India defeated Australia in the 1998 Test series, won every match bar the finals in the ODI series, then at Sharjah, then knocked out Australia in the first match in the ICC knockout tournament.

Australia was never the top team until 1999. I have no ill feelings towards Australia, in fact I'm the first one to admire the way they dominated world cricket for so many years. But fact remains, Australia was never the best side in the world until 1999.

If Australia were not the top team who was? You said Sth Africa, well we beat them. You said Sri Lanka we beat them.

ODI cricket we won 1987 WC, final of 1996 WC, won 1999 WC, won 2003 WC, won 2007 WC.

Momo said:
23 runs in 12 overs! What are the England players thinking?

Maybe trying to take the option of a win away from India by soaking up overs. But yes this is a strange strategy when you are 342 runs ahead with a five man bowling attack on 4th/5th day pitch.

Dhoni going to get a fine for his over rate here.

Momo said:
The Aussies have been the dominant cricket force since 1993.

I'd say they have been pretty much the best cricket team in the world since 1987-88 considering everything, even though WI were the unofficial Test champions till 1993.

Really? Better than the West Indies in the 80s, sorry can't agree their.
On this match, England have enough runs already, they should declare and stop giving the Indians an opportunity to save the match. If England declare now they have the match won.

Zaheer Khan caught smuggling a banana in his hat. Tip of the iceberg?
:inzi

Last edited:
Random Aussie said:
If Australia were not the top team who was? You said Sth Africa, well we beat them. You said Sri Lanka we beat them.

ODI cricket we won 1987 WC, final of 1996 WC, won 1999 WC, won 2003 WC, won 2007 WC.

During this period their was no real standout team, Australia and South Africa were good but were by no means will ahead of other teams such as Pakistan, West Indies etc...

Only in late 99 after the Gilchrist/Langer partnership in Hobart did Australia become the dominate no.1. Who knows if Langer was given out when he nicked it the whole cricketing landscape could have changed.

diondublin said:
Really? Better than the West Indies in the 80s, sorry can't agree their.
The great West Indies team of the 80s is a myth (it was more like mid 70s - mid 80s). And I didn't say 80s; I said 87-88 onwards.

West Indies deteriorated emponentially after that, with a slight recovery in early 90s, but at the same time Aussies just went on improving and improving.

diondublin said:
During this period their was no real standout team, Australia and South Africa were good but were by no means will ahead of other teams such as Pakistan, West Indies etc...

Only in late 99 after the Gilchrist/Langer partnership in Hobart did Australia become the dominate no.1. Who knows if Langer was given out when he nicked it the whole cricketing landscape could have changed.

From 1993 to 1998 Australia played 19 Test series and lost 4.

Those 4 series losses were by a single Test.

South Africa's record is not that good and neither are any of the other teams.

But each to their own

England making this game very very boring, and trying their best to snatch a draw from the jaws of victory.

I don't understand what these two are playing at. We want quick runs to take the game completely away from India and get as long as possible to bowl them out. This reminds me of Nagpur in 2006 when instead of going on the offensive in the final session on day 4 we got bogged down.

It's almost like KP is afraid if England force a win here, his IPL contract will somehow be in jeopardy.

Botham is pissed. Is keeping on repeating 4th highest ever fourth innings total. LOL

I don't blame him though.

Romali:

Must be delighted? These guys don't have any intentions of winning whatsoever. And you thought yesterday that the match was over!

Momo said:
Botham is pissed. Is keeping on repeating 4th highest ever fourth innings total. LOL

I don't blame him though.

Botham repeating himself? Surely not

375 runs ahead now

England need to declare when they're 400-415 runs ahead. Getting 400+ runs in one day and approx 20 overs in not an easy task at all.

However most probably it'll be a draw. India will be happy to draw the match. No need to play fast and try to win the match, you'll just consistently lose wickets. Just like Australia in the last match of the BG trophy :D

Zaheer gets Harmison.
poor Prior might get stranded trying to make a half-century in both innings :D

Wont be a draw, India are going to lose (unless weather intervenes).

375 on day 4/5 Indian pitch? Not going to happen.

Robert said:
Maybe he needs it to get reverse swing?
A distinct possibility.

(I will never allow myself to even consider the other sinister possibility. :yk )

India will be happy with that session. I was hoping England would set them 400 in four and a bit sessions. Instead it's looking like three and a bit sessions, which gives them more chance of saving the game.

Random Aussie said:
Wont be a draw, India are going to lose (unless weather intervenes).

375 on day 4/5 Indian pitch? Not going to happen.
It seems you are not considering the YUVI factor.

Momo said:
It seems you are not considering the YUVI factor.

You, sir, think highly of this "Yuvi" who is capable of nothing much in Test matches

387 to win for india.......Dravid is due big time......i have a feeling India will lose this one until dravid scores a hundred.....Yuvi is also due .intesresting match on our hands.flintoff will be the key for england

natalia said:
You, sir, think highly of this "Yuvi" who is capable of nothing much in Test matches

I don't know - he looks quite a useful occasional spinner.

India's batting is bipolar with strength at the top of the order (opening partnership to be exact), and then the Dhoni-Bhajji-Zaka trio.

The rest of the material can be roughly termed as 'filler'.

lol..cuptaan nudge made a 100..what a great bowling attack..lol..teeli sharma couldnt stop the nudges...and teh caricature so called reverse swinger couldnt do jack too..lol..

cmon england, pound these mentally deficiant losers into the ground!!...hopefully petersingh can now go allout and attack!!

Great Khan i was watching their inings and Zak and Sharma bowled pretty well

That's a good shot, problem for India is one wicket falls and the cancer known as Dravid infects the innings momentum.

Last edited:
Yeah Dravid has the ability to nullify Sehwag.

More so, no matter how well Sehwag goes the following batsmen all score progressively slower so by the end of the innings the run rate is normal.

jusarrived said:
as usual Shewag wants to finish this of before end of today's play !

If he keeps getting fed with the kind of garbage Harmison's serving up, they'll be half way there by the close.

diondublin said:
That's a good shot, problem for India is one wicket falls and the cancer known as Dravid infects the innings momentum.
First time have heard Dravid being described as cancer. But coming to think of it, he does possess some cancerous qualities.

the Great Khan said:
lol..cuptaan nudge made a 100..what a great bowling attack..lol..teeli sharma couldnt stop the nudges...and teh caricature so called reverse swinger couldnt do jack too..lol..

cmon england, pound these mentally deficiant losers into the ground!!...hopefully petersingh can now go allout and attack!!

Easy with the name calling pls.

5.3 Panesar to Sehwag, SIX, oh good grief he's smacked his 62nd six in Test cricket! Of all things Panesar serves up a full toss on leg stump and Sehwag sweeps it into the midwicket stands and India have their 50 in the sixth over

54/0 (5.5 ov)

Bear in mind Sehwag has been dropped once already and had at least 2 shots go through the infield at catching height.

Plus a six that should have been caught were KP not using a fly slip.

KP just needs to hold his nerve and Sehwag will give away his wicket...

Random Aussie said:
Bear in mind Sehwag has been dropped once already and had at least 2 shots go through the infield at catching height.

Plus a six that should have been caught were KP not using a fly slip.

KP just needs to hold his nerve and Sehwag will give away his wicket...

Your logic holds true to normal batman but this is Sehwag. He scored 300 of as many balls at this ground. Flintoff is the key.

I sense another Harmison retirement pretty soon.
:)

Last edited:
11.2 Panesar to Sehwag, SIX, its so easy for him, just sizes up the length and goes downtown against the spin with a stunning six over long-on, man oh man oh man ...
11.1 Panesar to Sehwag, FOUR, and the fun continues as Sehwag slog-sweeps one from middle and leg over midwicket for four more, clearing the front leg and just swinging freely

80/0 (12 ov)
India require another 307 runs with 10 wickets

There's a gentleman in the Indian camp with extremely indecently short shorts on.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back