India v England | 1st Test | Chennai | 11-15 Dec 08

Status
Not open for further replies.
PlanetPakistan said:
yeah...NZ have NOT won a series against PAK(home or away) since 1985, similarly PAK have never lost a series in SL

this current team will spoil that record too. :po:

Yeah, i fear the same. But you never know what can be surprisingly expected from current team :D

I always fail to understand in spite of Pakistan was used to best team struggled to defeat Australia and South Africa on their countries. Pakistan was very close to defeat West Indies twice; The tour of West Indies in 1987 i think and The tour of West Indies in Final Test, 97 or 98 before WC i think. Sadly, Pakistan couldn't achieved those results which could have been great.

MalikMohsin said:
Yeah, i fear the same. But you never know what can be surprisingly expected from current team :D

I always fail to understand in spite of Pakistan was used to best team struggled to defeat Australia and South Africa on their countries. Pakistan was very close to defeat West Indies twice; The tour of West Indies in 1987 i think and The tour of West Indies in Final Test, 97 or 98 before WC i think. Sadly, Pakistan couldn't achieved those results which could have been great.
actually after the 3rd test match of the 1988 WI tour the umpire admitted that he didn't give decisions in PAK's favors because he was worried about his house being burnt down by the locals. Similarly in 2000 PAK were once again victims of horrible umpiring but this time they were most likely honest mistakes.

Random Aussie said:
And once again....

The YUVI :))) :)))
I thought Yuvi lost his concentration. Its slightly disappointing to see him fail so often in tests because if he gets going then he is one of the best players to watch.

PlanetPakistan said:
actually after the 3rd test match of the 1988 WI tour the umpire admitted that he didn't give decisions in PAK's favors because he was worried about his house being burnt down by the locals. Similarly in 2000 PAK were once again victims of horrible umpiring but this time they were most likely honest mistakes.
Hard to imagine, the stupid Windies umpire robbed us of a sure shot victory. I still remember the plumb LBWs of Jimmy Adams that he didn't gave and the bat-pad catch off Saqlain's bowling when Walsh was batting as number 11 which didn't even needed a replay to judge.

gotta love the audacity of tail enders to reverse sweep when theres a 100 run deficit! lol!

India are scoring regularly now. I think England only had lady luck on their side yesterday.

captain to the rescue again

please dravid, stay home and knit your wife a sweater next match. we cant afford a middle order collapse ad nauseum

Poor bowling from England this morning. Monty bowling too flat and fast, Harmison all over the place.

Dhonifan said:
This innings is a battle of 2 giants - Monty vs Bhaji

Monty wins in the end, but a very gutsy innings from Bhaji, which has put India right back in it.

Zaheer Khan survives a plumb LBW shout. Monty seems to be very unlucky with LBW decisions.

Big Harvey said:
Monty wins in the end, but a very gutsy innings from Bhaji, which has put India right back in it.
England still has the upper hand. Even a lead of 50 is too much on this pitch, which is threatening to turn into a Monty-paradise on day 4. We have to get to 300 somehow.

Freddie traps Zaheer Khan LBW. India still trail by 99. Will we see some fireworks from Dhoni?

India in trouble here, England are nearly 100 in front. If they get the last 2 wickets cheaply, Dhoni is injured and India have to bat last against an attack which has looked pretty good in the conditions.

Dhoni panicked too early. Should have waited for the ninth wicket to fall before going for harakiri.

How much can India realistically chase? 300? It means restricting England to 220 or less.

Dhonifan said:
How much can India realistically chase? 300? It means restricting England to 220 or less.
Yes 300 will be difficult to chase, but another variable that could have a say is weather. It is quite likely that a lot of time may be wasted because of rain.

Although the pitch looks worn, it's actually playing like a good batting track. The demons have been largely in the minds of the batsmen. Even so, on any pitch in India you don't want to be chasing more than 300.

Momo said:
Dhoni panicked too early. Should have waited for the ninth wicket to fall before going for harakiri.
dunno, maybe he wasn't so sure about Ishant being able to hang in there.

Momo said:
Yes 300 will be difficult to chase, but another variable that could have a say is weather. It is quite likely that a lot of time may be wasted because of rain.
right, 300 is going to be a mountain to climb and almost impossible with dravid's form
Rain wont affect the outcome, unless it wastes more than a day

Dhonifan said:
dunno, maybe he wasn't so sure about Ishant being able to hang in there.
But he played well (even if it was ugly to watch as always) so will be unfair to criticize him too much.

But he has a very weak ankle which should be a cause for concern for him.

Big Harvey said:
Although the pitch looks worn, it's actually playing like a good batting track. The demons have been largely in the minds of the batsmen. Even so, on any pitch in India you don't want to be chasing more than 300.
I quite agree. In India's case it is because they lost the openers cheap. India is heavily reliant on the opening pair making runs because it takes the pressure off our middle aged, oops, middle order I mean.

Dhonifan said:
I quite agree. In India's case it is because they lost the openers cheap. India is heavily reliant on the opening pair making runs because it takes the pressure off our middle aged, oops, middle order I mean.
:inzi

If we can get the lead down to 50, its would be pretty even, however ENG with a slight advanatage for obvious reasons. Early wickets will be the key for India...

Momo said:

Phew thank god for that :D...

Dhonifan said:
:))

Barring weather I think the Pommies might sneak one here. A 350 run lead might be enough with the Poms unleashing Full Monty in the 2nd dig.

England take a 75 run lead into their second innings.

Normal service resumes, 3/0 from 2 overs. England will look to score sometime around the 15th over.

OZGOD said:
Barring weather I think the Pommies might sneak one here. A 350 run lead might be enough with the Poms unleashing Full Monty in the 2nd dig.

:)):))

Lulz, what is happening with "The Best Team in the World" India? If England can somehow pull off a series win in India, you Aussies are gone for the Ashes. :afridi

United Kingdom openers quickly taking the game away from India in a breathtaking display of enterprising strokeplay.

Ishant Sharma 14 Tests for 39 wickets with one innings to go.

Mitchell Johnson 15 Tests for 61 wickets. :batman:

Random Aussie said:

But you miss one fact RA. Ishant is 'promising'; Johnson is not.

Random Aussie said:
England take a 75 run lead into their second innings.

Normal service resumes, 3/0 from 2 overs. England will look to score sometime around the 15th over.

Hey, we're winning the test match. How many test matches did you win last time you were there?

The two most favourite shots of United Kingdom openers: Leg bye and off bye.
:D

Robert said:
Hey, we're winning the test match. How many test matches did you win last time you were there?

About zero :D

Good on you for being ahead in the match and I am barracking for England.

Does not change the fact that your openers are deathly dull though.

Random Aussie said:

No need to, we can do it in extras.

Momo said:
But you miss one fact RA. Ishant is 'promising'; Johnson is not.

Johnson's lack of promise appears to be taking a fair few more wickets than Ishant's mighty promise.

:rao

Edit - lol Big Harvey

Random Aussie said:

No comparison IMO:

Mitchell Johnson aged 27, Ishant Sharma aged 20. Sharma in 7 years wow.

Haven't seen a young bowler at sharma's age be as impressive in along time, especially since the majority of his tests have been against good teams in Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka. Johnson has played the weaker NZ and West Indies (Pains me to say being a WI fan).

diondublin said:
No comparison IMO:

Sharma in 7 years:

skeleton.jpg

Wow!

diondublin said:
No comparison IMO:

Haven't seen a young bowler at sharma's age be as impressive in along time, especially since the majority of his tests have been against good teams in Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka. Johnson has played the weaker NZ and West Indies (Pains me to say being a WI fan).

Ishant and MJ have played 8 Tests on the same wickets, a more direct comparision in cricket would be hard to find.

Not arguing that MJ>Ishant because he does not. But MJ is considered an OK bowler while Ishant is considered a gun, so the stats are interesting.

Some other bowler I recall looked great and promising but never actually got people out :Sami

Personal milestone for Ishant Sharma - 50 no balls in Test cricket.

Dhoni's had enough of Ishant's no balls. Gives him an earfull.
LOL

Random Aussie said:
About zero :D

Good on you for being ahead in the match and I am barracking for England.

Does not change the fact that your openers are deathly dull though.

:D

Yeah, it does look defensive, especially with Dingdong at first drop.

Strauss used to have some shots. He spanked Pollock and Ntini all over SA. Then when poor Tres went loopy, Strauss went into his shell. He doesn't drive any more.

Random Aussie said:
Ishant and MJ have played 8 Tests on the same wickets, a more direct comparision in cricket would be hard to find.

Not arguing that MJ>Ishant because he does not. But MJ is considered an OK bowler while Ishant is considered a gun, so the stats are interesting.

Some other bowler I recall looked great and promising but never actually got people out :Sami
Actually BA, MJ>>Ishant atm.

Ishant has only one problem. He doesn't pick up wickets.

I believe the other ant- sreesanth is a better bowler who actually picks up wickets but is let down by his joker antics.

FCCO said:

I believe the other ant- sreesanth is a better bowler who actually picks up wickets but is let down by his joker antics.

And by the fact he's a trundler. Otherwise he'd be good. :inzi

FCCO said:

FCH Ishant>>lunatic goon bowler

Ishant gets Cook, lead is 103 with 9 wickets in hand.

Random Aussie said:
FCH Ishant>>lunatic goon bowler

Ishant gets Cook, lead is 103 with 9 wickets in hand.
Ishant only looks great. Kinda like Sami. His figures are one of the worst among upcoming fast bowlers. He is nothing what he is hyped up to be.

Eng 37/1 - lead 112

I recon England need a lead of 250 atleast to feel they have a chance of winning the game and they have to bat more postively then they did in 1st inns.

The Dhoni-Narbi partnership was always going to be pivitol and so it proved as India are back in the game.

All 3 Indian spinners getting more out of this pitch than England's did.

Strauss survives big appeal for bat-pad catch. replay showed no bat involved, but every other ball is going through the surface now.

The match proving why Test cricket on a good wicket is the ultimate form of cricket. This series is already more enthralling than the previous Aust/Ind one.

Screw the records, stats, figs etc

Ishant is gold. I am sure he'll become a 500 + bowler

dell said:
Screw the records, stats, figs etc

Ishant is gold. I am sure he'll become a 500 + bowler

At his current rate that will take him about 170 Tests :wasim :younis

Hmm a couple of 4's and the lead is now 137. Dhoni has to be careful here, he needs wickets but these runs are not going to be easy to chase. Quick 50 run partnership and things will look very different.

Random Aussie said:
At his current rate that will take him about 170 Tests :wasim :younis

Given the amount of cricket India play, that'll be about 5 years then.

Random Aussie said:
Hmm a couple of 4's and the lead is now 137. Dhoni has to be careful here, he needs wickets but these runs are not going to be easy to chase. Quick 50 run partnership and things will look very different.

I think I remember one of the commentators saying the record successful run chase here is 155!

Unless we bowl better in the second innings than we did in the first, I wouldn't fancy defending a lead of less than 220 though.

Big Harvey said:
I think I remember one of the commentators saying the record successful run chase here is 155!

And we are 142-3 in effect, already.

Big Harvey said:

Unless we bowl better in the second innings than we did in the first, I wouldn't fancy defending a lead of less than 220 though.

220 would be very hard for India to chase, anything over 200 really. If this was Australia I can be quite confident of India chasing and winning but not against England...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back