India v England | 5th ODI | Cuttack | 26/11/08

On_the_up

ODI Debutant
Runs
Due to start in 40 mins. Will England finally turn the tide or will team India continue their momentum. England have a pretty good record at this ground. Team news for england, Harmison and Cook come in for Anderson and Bell.

India won the toss and elected to field. Two changes, Irfan Pathan in place of Munaf Patel and Rohit Sharma in place of Gautam Gambhir.

Dhoni, choose to chase 2nd i.e. under the lights due to the dew factor. Apparently the curator thought that dew might play a part later on too.

Maybe Dhoni is just looking for a challenge this game.

let me be the first to request a link
thank you in advance

I hope for england's sake, Bopara does well as an opener, their lack of hitting power in the first power plays is becoming legendary, Bopara could fix that. Not many people have scored 200 in an ODI match.

Bumblebee said:
Anderson and Bell dropped! in come Alistair Cook and Harmison.

KP swapping rubbish for quality there. While it is Test quality not really ODI quality Harmison/Cook>>>>>>>Anderson/Bell

Romali_rotti said:
This is a bit strange by DHoni to not rest Zaheer and drop Munaf...

Yeah Zaheer is right about due an injury I would think.

I guess Patel is the 3rd seamer and Irfan comes in as the 3rd seamer (but really 1st thrower of pies)

60-1 in the ninth over, Pieterson's already hit 5 fours in the 10 balls he's faced.

Smart captaincy by Dhoni keeping a slip in place.

Geordie Ahmed said:
Pietersen playing well BUT needs Shah to stick around aswell

He started well but to be honest I don't think he's played particularly well in the middle overs, somewhat stalled with Colly.

Muhammad said:
He started well but to be honest I don't think he's played particularly well in the middle overs, somewhat stalled with Colly.

Playing with the mackem would stall the best of them

27 run partnership off 7.3 overs, pretty ordinary batting at this stage

Shah is poor at rotating the strike, that cost England the other night even though he ended up scoring 72 off 48 in the end.

Man, England are shyte!

Without labouring a point, they havent recovered from the Stanford debacle - which was of their own making.

And India looking like it'll be 5-0 in a few hours time.

Why was Shah sent in No.6?

Madness!

Random Aussie said:

I guess Patel is the 3rd seamer and Irfan comes in as the 3rd seamer (but really 1st thrower of pies)

:))) :))) That is so true

eng 253-4 after 48, Pieterson 102* from 121 balls and Shah 58 from 52 balls

five single and a four of the penultimate over bowled by Zaheer Khan, 262-4 now

If Sachin Tendulkar had played a similar innings like Pietersen, he would have been castigated as selfish/playing for records and all. i have not looked up at the stats, but Sachin would have had similar scoring rate, while setting up the target in at least 50 innings, including his 100's, 90's many scores of above 70.

England finish on 270-4, 9 singles, 1 dot ball and 2 fours of the last 12 balls, good death bowling by India there

On the Up, cheers! u have literally carried this thread almost on your own.

Decent score from England, but to bat the last 20 overs without losing a wicket and to fail to score at 6 an over is a pretty average effort.

Flintoff really disappointed me with the bat today. I hate to watch my favorite all rounder fail.

Rajan said:
If Sachin Tendulkar had played a similar innings like Pietersen, he would have been castigated as selfish/playing for records and all. i have not looked up at the stats, but Sachin would have had similar scoring rate, while setting up the target in at least 50 innings, including his 100's, 90's many scores of above 70.
For anyone to call a person scoring @ an ODI career strike rate of 86 (approx) selfish, is simply hilarious to say the least.

Yuvraj and Sehwag are key here.

England need them out early to win this one.

I think we could be in for an interesting night if England grab an early breakthrough or two.

Rajan said:

I'm sure thats happening on Eng cricket forums....

It was a good innings from Pietersen, but one that lacked acceleration. I think part of the problem is that he's not a very good slogger. He's not a bad one and has good power, but when he needs to slog, he's not really the man you'd choose in this situation. Since starting his international career he has lost a bit of brutality and become more of a batsman.

The main problem in the innings though was Paul Collingwood; a crabby 40 that robbed England of momentum. Cook and Bopara too didn't score quickly enough. England would easily have made 300 otherwise, but as usual the middle-order has to make up the short-fall.

And England will still lose...

Rajan said:

I wouldn´t be too harsh on Kevin Pietersen but this was typical of him:|.

Damn, England are crap.

Their batting order today made no sense. I have no idea why Bell was dropped because he is a very good player, and I don't think Cook is a talented enough player to be consistent in ODI's. Then Shah was sent in at 6. That is just ludicrous - you want him to bat the whole innings, and then accelerate towards the end. Why send in Collingwood, who is: a) slow and b) crap.

If they get everything right, they can be a pretty formidable ODI team. The thing is, though, they get it right about as often as a horde of pigs if seen flying through the sky.

Augustus said:
It was a good innings from Pietersen, but one that lacked acceleration. I think part of the problem is that he's not a very good slogger. He's not a bad one and has good power, but when he needs to slog, he's not really the man you'd choose in this situation. Since starting his international career he has lost a bit of brutality and become more of a batsman.

The main problem in the innings though was Paul Collingwood; a crabby 40 that robbed England of momentum. Cook and Bopara too didn't score quickly enough. England would easily have made 300 otherwise, but as usual the middle-order has to make up the short-fall.

And England will still lose...

True that Collingwood's effort didn't help and when he finally did get a bit of a move on he then got out, but he wasn't batting in the last 20 or even the last poweplay when quite frankly the batting was very ordinary. Some credit to the Indian bowlers as well though, they bowled well.

Random Aussie said:

And whatever happened to the claim by Dhoni that we can try some youngsters now...I think I read it in one of the threads here?

Irfan Pathan and Sharma are not exactly new comers are they?

Quite a boring performance from ENG.

IND have moved on to 68/0 and amazingly Tendulkar now has a SR of almost 100, i say amazingly because he hasn't been able to time any more than 3 or 4 out of the 30+ balls.

Rajan said:
On the Up, cheers! u have literally carried this thread almost on your own.
LOL, yes bit like KP in englands inns today
india cruising it at the mo, 72-0 in the 12th sachin and veeru, neck and neck 32 and 33 respectively

pieterson can change all the field settings he wants but sehwag will kill you and boy hes in good mood

99 after 14 overs, sehwag just hit swann for 21 off his first over, and gets to his 50 in the process

india 140-1 in the 21st, sachin out for an even 50, veeru on 79, could get a really big one here.

yuvraj comes in at 3, what happened to giving new players more experience, Dhoni learning from Malik it seems.

On_the_up said:
yuvraj comes in at 3, what happened to giving new players more experience, Dhoni learning from Malik it seems.
He's trying to get yuvi more confidence ahead of the test series :D

England making a move here.
Malik has himself gone to India to see who is this Pietersen fella they compare him with

22.6 Bopara to Yuvraj Singh, OUT, Yuvraj's gone, Bopara strikes, a soft dismissal for Yuvraj, the ball might have stopped on him a bit, and his attempted on-drive lobs into Bopara's hands
Yuvraj Singh c & b Bopara 6 (9b 0x4 0x6) SR: 66.66

23.1 Broad to Sehwag, OUT, Sehwag's gone, that's another massive wicket for England, Stuart Broad gets Sehwag lbw
V Sehwag lbw b Broad 91 (73b 15x4 1x6) SR: 124.65

Too little, too late for England really.

Those two breakthroughs have done very little unfortunately, MS Dhoni is pretty much the ideal Indian batsman for a situation like this. They will win this in a canter.

India require another 113 runs with 7 wickets and 26.0 overs remaining. Come on, we want a 7-0 whitewash !!!!!!!!!

Easa said:
Too little, too late for England really.

Those two breakthroughs have done very little unfortunately, MS Dhoni is pretty much the ideal Indian batsman for a situation like this. They will win this in a canter.

the nicest thing you have ever said about MSD , Easa ? :D

RR required is still only 4.5, India can take their time.

Flintoff has bowled really well though, deserves a bit more reward.

How did the YUVI go? Did he destroy this useless Pom attack again?

OZGOD said:
How did the YUVI go? Did he destroy this useless Pom attack again?

Nah the poms destroyed him and his confidence, he only made 6.

Don't think he's going to be able to retain his place in the side after this performance.

jusarrived said:
the nicest thing you have ever said about MSD , Easa ? :D
Hey, I did refer to him as a "batsman" :p

India require another 37 runs with 7 wickets and 11.0 overs remaining

Inching closer & closer ........

Back