India v England : James Anderson set to join squad ahead of first Test

Sherlock

Test Debutant
Runs
rNsHVHct.jpg

England's leading Test wicket-taker James Anderson is set to join the squad ahead of the first Test against India.

Anderson, 34, was left out of the 16-man party to tour India after missing the tour of Bangladesh with a shoulder injury.

He will not play in the first Test but could appear in the second after making a quick recovery.

"It's a credit to the hunger he has shown to get back," captain Alastair Cook told BBC Radio 5 live.

"There's nothing more he can do, apart from coming out here and getting acclimatised and get some more overs in."

England will play five Tests against number one ranked side India, starting in Rajkot on 9 November.

Anderson, who has taken 463 wickets since making his Test debut in 2003, made six Test appearances for England over the summer.

He missed the first Test against Pakistan at Lord's in July due to a shoulder problem but returned to take nine wickets in the remaining three Tests.

England will not play any practice games throughout the Test series, which Cook described as "not ideal".

"I don't think it matters quite so much now after Bangladesh but maybe during the series, the guys who haven't played or haven't done as well as they like, could play a game away from Test cricket," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37882392

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if Indian batsmen are shaking in their pants type situation here. He is good but spin is what England needs in India.

Not sure if Indian batsmen are shaking in their pants type situation here. He is good but spin is what England needs in India.

A fit James Anderson will still be a huge factor. He is good with scuffed up ball and on these rough pitches he'll get to play with that quite early and the edge he has on Kohli who has now become India's main stay can also play a big part.

A fit James Anderson will still be a huge factor. He is good with scuffed up ball and on these rough pitches he'll get to play with that quite early and the edge he has on Kohli who has now become India's main stay can also play a big part.

Kohli in India is "apnay ghar ka Kohli" ie he is an immovable object. I actually feel sorry for Anderson. Atleast an injury was a good excuse.

Kohli in India is "apnay ghar ka Kohli" ie he is an immovable object. I actually feel sorry for Anderson. Atleast an injury was a good excuse.

Kohli in India is actually not so much good as he is overseas. Which is why his record lags behind Root, Williamson and Smith who are beasts at home.

Pujara is by far India's best batsman in India.

Kohli in India is actually not so much good as he is overseas. Which is why his record lags behind Root, Williamson and Smith who are beasts at home.

Pujara is by far India's best batsman in India.

I want Anderson to play. Ghar ka Kohli will get chance to inflict a career end on his nemesis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy averages 29 in India, strike rate 63.

Jimmy averages 29 in India, strike rate 63.

I don't think the Indians have paid too much attention to Anderson and Broad's UAE record. Which might come back to bite them.

The two of them should tie up one end and give away very, very few runs, with Ben Stokes also bowling short bursts at the same end. Meaning that we can rotate Batty, Moeen, Adil and Ansari at the other end.

I don't think the Indians have paid too much attention to Anderson and Broad's UAE record. Which might come back to bite them.

The two of them should tie up one end and give away very, very few runs, with Ben Stokes also bowling short bursts at the same end. Meaning that we can rotate Batty, Moeen, Adil and Ansari at the other end.

If you are talking about tying up ends, who is going to take the wickets? Of the four spinners I think Moeen is the only good/consistent one. Batty and Ansari are still learning and Adil will bowl at the minimum one boundary ball every over. Also how many of the seven are actually going to be in the playing eleven?

Not really.

Dhoni attributed the difference between the two sides during the series loss in 2012 to James Anderson. I'm sure the players wouldn't be taking him lightly, Jimmy has had a lot of great performances against India in his career. If anything, I feel the English pacers will have a bigger role to play than their spinners.

I am sorry but except for the double hundred in NZ series. In fact he has underachieved in home big time in tests. He has a better record, average wise and no. of centuries away from India than in India.

So I don't see any weight in the label 'apnay ghar ka Kohli' at all.

England bowler James Anderson to be overlooked for second Test with India

JAMES ANDERSON looks as though he will have to wait for his England comeback after coach Trevor Bayliss indicated he will name an unchanged team for this week’s second Test against India.

Anderson, whose shoulder injury has prevented him from playing since the Oval Test against Pakistan in August, has progressed well in the nets since arriving in India last Tuesday.

There were fears the 34-year-old’s whole winter was under threat when he was initially left out of England’s squad for this five-match series.

But even though Anderson’s recovery puts him in contention for a return in Visakhapatnam on Thursday, Bayliss is ready to keep faith with the XI who gave India such a scare in Rajkot.

England may have only drawn that match but in reducing the world’s No1 side to 172-6 on the final evening they made a statement of intent for the rest of the series.

Bayliss hailed that performance the best of his 18 months in charge of the team.

And it means the Australian feels he can now hold back England’s all-time record wicket-taker for the third Test at Mohali, where conditions are expected to be more favourable for his seamers.

“We will look at Jimmy, he’s coming along pretty well, and make that decision in the coming days,” he said.

“But we did say before Bangladesh that seven Tests in eight weeks this winter would be difficult and we would change guys but I’m not envisaging any changes.”

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/cric...ews-James-Anderson-selected-India-Test-series

You have to ask whom Anderson would displace at the moment.

Back