Status
Not open for further replies.

RamLakhan

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
Probable Teams:

South Africa
1 Richard Levi, 2 Farhaan Behardian, 3 Jacques Kallis, 4 Faf du Plessis, 5 Colin Ingram, 6 Albie Morkel, 7 Dane Vilas/Morne van Wyk (wk), 8 Johan Botha (capt), 9 Wayne Parnell, 10 Rusty Theron, 11 Lonwabo Tsotsobe

India
1 Gautam Gambhir, 2 Robin Uthappa, 3 Virat Kohli, 4 Rohit Sharma, 5 Suresh Raina, 6 Ravindra Jadeja, 7 MS Dhoni (capt/wk), 8 Irfan Pathan, 9 R Ashwin, 10 Praveen Kumar, 11 Ashok Dinda

Anybody interested in this match? What to look out for?

Not really , its pointless match.

Bet you guys will be sitting in front of your tv and watch this match with all interest. :p

India wont be playing international cricket for good 4-5 months now. and Its a t20 so it will be fun.

Will watch this for checking how Uthappa is playing.if in good form a very useful player in shorter formats of the game.

Will Manoj Tiwary get a chance to bat after warming benches for 3-4 months?

Why this India-South Africa T20I Now?

It has gone beyond any reason. We have come to expect the cricket boards to not really have the welfare of the players or the sport foremost in their minds. But this move by BCCI to honor Cricket South Africa’s request to play a singular Twenty20 on March 30, 2012 at Johannesburg, South Africa? One Twenty20 match. Not part of any tour, or a series, just one isolated T20 match. Why oh why?

The lone T20 game has been called the “Jacques Kallis Appreciation Night”. Kallis, arguably amongst the greatest cricketers of this generation and perhaps the greatest allrounder the game has seen since Sir Garfield Sobers, thoroughly deserves to be appreciated as such. If the appreciation of Kallis were indeed high on the list of Cricket South Africa (CSA) priorities, wouldn’t it make more sense to host the game at the Newlands ground in Cape Town, the home ground of Kallis? Why is this match being held at The Wanderers Stadium in Johannesburg, in Gauteng Province?

After the great success of the Twenty20 game between India and South Africa in 2011, held in Durban- which was incidentally dubbed “Makhaya Ntini Celebration Night”- it was announced that this T20 game between these two countries would become an annual affair. CSA proposed and the BCCI agreed. Why?

South Africa is coming home after a long tour of New Zealand and will be asked to play the match right away. Even the final of South Africa’s domestic T20 competition, The Miway cup, was moved to make way for this inconsequential T20I.

It is interesting to note that almost none of South Africa’s test match players will be playing in the T20 but yet, India has sent its full strength squad. Kallis, himself was held back from the third test against New Zealand with a stiff neck and is doubtful for the game. India had a long tour of Australia, which was followed by the Asia Cup in Bangladesh. Soon, all their players will be taking part in the seven-week IPL tourney crisscrossing the nation in April and May, and yet they have now been shipped off to South Africa for a T20I. Why is the BCCI being so courteous to CSA? Are they repaying their debt from South Africa’s magnanimous gesture in hosting IPL 2 (in 2009) at short notice? Or is it something else?

To understand the various reasons why this T20I might be happening and the ramifications of such a pointless exercise, it may be helpful to understand the mess that the CSA has become since hosting IPL 2. The tussle between CSA and the Gauteng cricket board, the power play within Cricket South Africa and the central figure in all this, the now suspended Chief executive of Cricket South Africa, Gerald Majola, and the interplay with BCCI.

Majola recently announced that he would be taking a self-imposed vacation from his job. It has been reported that South Africa’s top police unit, Hawks, are investigating him over the 1.8 million Rand in unauthorized bonuses that he pocketed himself (of the 4.7 million Rand doled out to other members of the CSA board), for hosting the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the Champions Trophy tournament in 2009.

The Gauteng Story

During IPL 2009, Lalit Modi, the then commissioner of IPL came under severe criticism from the Gauteng Cricket Board (GCB) on several issues ranging from sharing of VIP suites to the price of alcohol. CSA then promptly suspended The Wanderers Stadium as an international venue. The then CSA President Mtutuzeli Nyoka had issued a statement that Wanderers will not be reinstated till an apology from the GCB was received. Of course, GCB Chairman Barry Skjoldhammer responded strongly to the statement by Nyoka that he did not touch upon several key issues raised by the GCB and also said there were no grounds for GCB to apologize to the BCCI and IPL. Following this dispute, Wanderers was stripped of the rights to host the marquee test match against England in 2009, which prompted GCB to seek resolution of the disputes with CSA. CSA then submitted a request to the South African sports ministry to mediate on the issue. After three days of negotiations, the two parties resolved their differences and Wanderers was reinstated as an international venue and went on to host a test match versus England in January 2010.

Firdose Moonda, writing for ESPNCricinfo on August 14 2009, mentioned the following:

What has gone unnoticed is the fine print and CSA’s perfectly executed trade-off. In return for lifting the ban on the Wanderers, the mediation agreement between the parties stipulated that the GCB has to undergo a management makeover and make greater commitments to transformation. The GCB are required to change the representation on its board so that 50% of the members are from previously disadvantaged (black) clubs, and the remaining 50% are from advantaged clubs (traditionally white clubs). Once the new board is in office, a committee of six will be chosen, whose job it will be to specifically address transformation.

The Sunday Times leaked a report submitted to the CSA internal commission of inquiry, which was written by the then CSA President Nyoka, that indicated that he confirmed the allegations of financial impropriety made against Gerald Majola. Majola however felt he would be cleared of the charges by the internal commission, and so he was.

his caused a rift amongst the members of the CSA board. Soon there was a no confidence motion against President Nyoka (you can connect the dots as to who may have initiated the motion) and he was ousted. After his ousting, Nyoka went to court and got reinstated. He then arranged an independent inquiry by auditors KPMG, who found Majola to have breached the Companies Act in respect of corporate governance. This prompted a second no-confidence vote against President Nyoka allegedly bringing CSA into disrepute and he was ousted again. This time he chose not to contest it.

All of these issues prompted sports minister Fikile Mbalula, a staunch loyalist of African National Congress (ANC) and the country’s President Jacob Zuma, to call for an independent inquiry headed by retired Judge Nicholson. It was reported, as per the findings of this inquiry, that Ajay Sooklal, the then chairman of legal and governance committee of CSA, was tasked with going around the country with Ray Mali to persuade the 11 affiliates to oust Nyoka.

It is interesting to note that the Gauteng Cricket Board (GCB) – the one that had issues with Majola and CSA board and has since reconciled – is now headed by Ray Mali. The lone T20I is called the “New Age Cup” sponsored by the newspaper “The New Age” which is seen to be more sympathetic to the ANC. It may or may not have any implications, but it is important to point out that The New Age is owned by the Gupta family, who also have stake in the Indian newspaper Times of India.

Why This T20I Now?

Is it possible that Gerald Majola wanted to show the rest of the powers that be in the South African establishment that he holds considerable sway with the most powerful cricket board in the world, the BCCI, by having it send its full strength squad for a meaningless T20I, even when the schedules of the Indian players are jam packed? This could be a sop to the GCB to compensate for the way they were treated during the IPL 2009 saga and the fact that Wanderers gets to host this T20I with Ray Mali, who lobbied (as indicated by Ajay Sooklal) on behalf of Majola to oust Nyoka, at the helm is not lost on anybody.

What does the BCCI stand to gain from all this? Is it just a gesture from them to repay CSA’s prompt magnanimity in hosting IPL 2? Or, as Gideon Haigh suggested in this podcast, are the various national boards “girding their loins” to shoot down the Woolf report that recommended dramatic changes to ICC governance? It has already been reported that the BCCI is not happy with and has rejected the recommendations of the Woolf report.

The tenure of Haroon Lorgat, the Chief Executive of the ICC is coming to an end in 2012. It is all but certain that he will be replaced by David Collier from England. Is the BCCI getting its ducks in a row for a power struggle within the ICC, if they choose to perhaps push the candidacy of someone they would like to see as Chief Executive? That remains to be seen.

On the surface, this T20I looks quite pointless and adding to the workload of the players. Under the surface, there seem to be many different dimensions to the reasons why it may actually be happening. As meaningless as this T20I is, the possible reasons, and the ramifications, point to an intriguing power struggle that involves the cricket boards of many nations and the ICC itself.

http://www.thesightscreen.com/post-match-opinions/why-this-india-south-africa-t20i-now/

Last edited:
International cricket as a practice for club cricket. Glad India got its priorities right at last. :)

wow great idea play international cricket just for practing club cricket indian team is going in good way

IPL is the next big thing happened in cricket after worldcup.

You missed my sarcasm :yk

Last edited:
they want to buy some chocolates for their kids and nephews and nieces. also, take some pictures at locations of jo'burg which they didnt visit last time around.

What a pointless match, I didn't even know that it was happening today and I stay 10 minutes from the stadium! It's bad enough that players are fatigued from the excess cricket and travelling, and this doesn't do anything to remedy that.

Also you don't honour a guy like Kallis by throwing together a rushed one-off match, you do so with a proper ceremony! And being the philanthropist that he is, I'm sure that he would have much rather appreciated the time and money being spent on the development of cricket for kids than this.

Also you don't honour a guy like Kallis by throwing together a rushed one-off match, you do so with a proper ceremony! And being the philanthropist that he is, I'm sure that he would have much rather appreciated the time and money being spent on the development of cricket for kids than this.

Agree. Poor from CSA , can't expect much from BCCI , they are anyways morons.

Let's be honest though, honoring Kallis is just the excuse, it's all about making money.

Let's be honest though, honoring Kallis is just the excuse, it's all about making money.

Tomorrow's match is dedicated to Jacques Kallis, and the proceeds will go to his scholarship foundation.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-india-2012/content/current/story/559237.html

So , this charity thing here is fake news?
Neither team has played any cricket for last 10 days , Kallis missed the 3rd test. Fatigue will only come in the IPL which is only starting next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Btw Ten Sports is telecasting the match! Guess Manjrekar will be the main man in commentary board! (Probably Rameez Raja too)

Gonna be a great occasion. Kallis truly deserves the honour. Haters need to shut up :facepalm:

Hmm if any player picks up an injury putting his IPL participation in jeopardy,it would be interesting to see how the franchises whine.

Woah.

How do you get battered by Kallis?

How....

Looks like SA are trying out some fringe players here, their team looks pretty average.

Are there not any ODIs or anything to follow? Don't tell me India have travelled all the way to SA to play one game of T20. :facepalm:

Is Vinay Kumar Dhoni's favourite player or something? He seems to have a few bros who he loves to keep close - kept Raina in test cricket far too long and we all know about Jadeja's free passes in LOIs.

Vinay.. why? Just why?

India receiving :133:

SA 171/3 after 17.3 overs.

179/3 after 18 overs.

200 on the cards here

Dont understand why is dhoni still picking praveen kumar and vinay kumar over Umesh Yadav or Ishant. Even Munaf Patel is far better than Praveen or Vinay.

Praveen is only good on swinging wickets. Vinay is useless everywhere.

Lols I was searching for the match thread and didn't find it so I created a new one.

Anyways India receiving some serious :133: here

So India have to chace 220 from 20 overs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back