ICC T20 World Cup 2022 | Pakistan v South Africa | Group 2 | SCG | 03 November | Pakistan innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
eRGcZUt.png

South Africa look locked and loaded for the semi-finals. Pakistan seem set on an early trip home. Another win for Temba Bavuma's team at the SCG on Thursday would all but confirm both of those looming realities.

The South Africans were on the verge of beating Zimbabwe in Hobart on October 24 when the game was washed out. They responded by winning against Bangladesh in Sydney last Thursday and against India in Perth on Sunday, and finding different ways to do so into the bargain. Babar Azam's side have undertaken the reverse journey. Having squandered a bulletproof position to lose, to India, the greatest T20I yet played at the MCG on October 23, Pakistan then crashed to Zimbabwe by a single run in Perth four days later. No doubt still shellshocked by what happened at the MCG, the Pakistanis were ripe for the picking by the ambitious, feisty Zimbos.

In their most recent match, in Perth on Sunday, Pakistan dealt emphatically with the Netherlands; limiting them to 91/9 and polishing off the target with 6.1 overs to spare. But the damage of those two early defeats, particularly the way they went down to India, clearly run deep.

The South Africans are quietly building up a serious head of steam. They had to work harder to beat India in challenging conditions, in the second half of the doubleheader in Perth on Sunday, than they might have thought after they held Rohit Sharma's team to 133/9. But even getting home with two balls remaining couldn't dull the salient truth that they are the only team to beat India at this tournament so far.

All of which says South Africa should win at the SCG on Thursday. Except that they've never beaten Pakistan in this tournament.

When: Thursday, November 3, 7pm Local Time (1.30pm IST)

Where: Sydney Cricket Ground

What to expect: A 40% chance of showers in the evening, which is pretty much the standard Sydney forecast. That means it probably won't rain. Despite the SCG's historically sluggish runrate in T20Is - only the MCG's was lower in Australia going into the tournament - three of the top five totals in the T20 World Cup, including both 200 toppers ahead of Wednesday's games, have been recorded here.

Head to head: Pakistan have won 11 of their 21 T20Is against South Africa, including all three games when the teams have met in previous editions of what is now called the T20 World Cup.

Team watch:

Pakistan:

Injured/Unavailable: Fakhar Zaman's ongoing knee injury will keep him out of the match. He is likely to be replaced in the XI by Mohammad Haris, one of Pakistan's travelling reserves.

Tactics/Matchups: With Zaman out, the performance of Shan Masood, already Pakistan's most consistent batter in the tournament, becomes even more key to their chances.

Probable XI: Mohammad Rizwan, Babar Azam (capt), Mohammad Haris, Shan Masood, Iftikhar Ahmed, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Wasim, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Haris Rauf, Naseem Shah

South Africa:

Injured/Unavailable: No outstanding issues.

Tactics/Matchups: Although it can seem as if South Africa's entire game revolves around booming fast bowling and Quinton de Kock, players like Rilee Rossouw, Aiden Markram, David Miller and Wayne Parnell have emphasised their worth during the tournament.

Probable XI: Quinton de Kock, Temba Bavuma (capt), Rilee Rossouw, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Tristan Stubbs, Wayne Parnell, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Lungi Ngidi

Did you know?

- The last time South Africa beat Pakistan in either kind of World Cup Mark Boucher and Saqlain Mushtaq were in the XIs. They prevailed by three wickets at Trent Bridge in June 1999.

- Teams batting first have won all four T20 World Cup matches played at the SCG, and all by convincing margins - India's 56-run thumping of the Netherlands is the smallest.

What they said:

"I don't think anyone is thinking about the India game, because as a professional you can't dwell on the past - especially when you lose. Everyone was positive after that game." - Naseem Shah tries to explain away the lingering effects of losing the tournament's biggest game.

"In the past year we've found ourselves in tricky situations and managed to get over the line. The guys have managed to find their roles. If one of us is not doing well, another one picks up the slack. It's difficult to do well in this format because there are a lot of variables, but we've managed to do well as a team." - David Miller on South Africa's increasing versatility.

Squads:

Pakistan Squad: Mohammad Rizwan(w), Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Haris, Shan Masood, Iftikhar Ahmed, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Wasim Jr, Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, Naseem Shah, Mohammad Hasnain, Khushdil Shah, Haider Ali, Asif Ali

South Africa Squad: Quinton de Kock(w), Temba Bavuma(c), Rilee Rossouw, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Tristan Stubbs, Wayne Parnell, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Tabraiz Shamsi, Marco Jansen, Heinrich Klaasen, Reeza Hendricks

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Last edited:
Fakhar Zaman ruled out.

Asif Ali (c) returns. Is he due his 1 in 10 innings yet?

Come on Pak, you can do this. Give your best. Pakistan is winning this one

If Pakistan bat first and make 160+ run then Pakistan will win.

If bat second then target should be between 145-160

All the hype about pacers and Shadab or Maharaj will steal the show

Will be interesting to see if SA drop Ngidi after a good outing against India on this track for Shamsi.

Chance to salvage some pride otherwise the WC will be a complete disaster, win today and they can gloat about the two narrow defeats

Scared of decock Russow and Miller.
Just let bavuma bat at least 60 balls.

Pakistan might win this. If it would have been Perth, Saffers would have had the edge.

No way Pakistan or Bangladesh getting into the semis. It's decided already that India and South Africa will go into semis. The brand of cricket they are playing,they are really the deserving team to reach semi.

Drop the tension from your head of equations to reach semi, take a popcorn and enjoy. SA is clear favourite today. Can Pakistan beat them?

Tpday Pakistan will be officially out of the semifinals race . rooting for South Africa win today .

After losing to Zim, there is no reason for us to go to Semis, hopefully there be a new captain and batting order after WC.

Babar should stop acting like that bully street cricket kid who will always open batting.

Come on boys give your best and win both games, ned can beat SA and zim can beat india.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Sydney which should help Pak players. Need a spinner to turn the ball away from the lefties. Ifthikhar should ball i think. 50-50 this game

Win - win situation for indian fans
If Pakistan win this match then we might not face Nz in semi
If South Africa win then confirm our place in semifinal.

Pakistan cannot afford another slip-up as they take on the only unbeaten team in the tournament, South Africa, at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Thursday.

It's a must-win game for Pakistan and they have a potent, in-form South African attack, fresh off devouring India, to conquer. That Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan, the two pillars of their batting line-up, have struggled sums up Pakistan's woes this tournament.

If the loss to India was a bitter pill to swallow, following that was a nail-biting finish against Zimbabwe, where they ended up on the wrong side. A convincing win against Netherlands, their first in Australia in this format, gave them a bit of a relief.

Two narrow losses to kick start the campaign isn't exactly how Pakistan would have planned for their tournament to go, and it has left them needing to win their big game against South Africa and hoping other results go their way.

Can Pakistan still qualify?

But South Africa could pose big headaches to this Pakistan team. They are the only unbeaten team in this T20 World Cup, and more importantly, they have shown strengths in different departments to possibly go all the way this time around.

For one, the Proteas batting line-up is a never-ending string of pace hitters, who don't just counter pace, but smash it. The South African middle order is arguably the best in this tournament and it has stepped up more than once already in this short event.

However, Pakistan would hope to use the spin duo of Mohammad Nawaz and Shadab Khan to stifle South Africa's charge in the middle overs, especially if the SCG offers turn, which is likely given the ground's history.

Pakistan's reliance on high pace could well backfire against South Africa. On top of that, the Proteas can dish them out at equally good pace with the ball. Anrich Nortje has been pushing the speed gun consistently. Lungi Ngidi comes off the back of a Player of the Match showing against India and Wayne Parnell was equally effective that game.

Kagiso Rabada hasn't even hit his best yet but South Africa are already on a roll. That speaks volumes about the mountain of work that awaits Pakistan. Their best bet would be to dent South Africa early, which could force the middle order to delay their attack, like against India.

While they were bailed out by Aiden Markram and David Miller that game, Pakistan will know it's probably South Africa's weak spot this tournament. The absence of Dwaine Pretorius, who was injured and ruled out pre-tournament, has made their tail a bit longer than they would like even if Parnell is more than a decent all-rounder to have.

For Pakistan, the template remains pretty much the same with the bat. Babar and Rizwan need to ward off South Africa's quicks with the new ball to give them a shot at a decent score.

Predicted Playing XI

Pakistan: Mohammad Rizwan, Babar Azam (capt), Mohammad Haris, Shan Masood, Iftikhar Ahmed, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Wasim, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Haris Rauf, Naseem Shah

South Africa: Quinton de Kock, Temba Bavuma (capt), Rilee Rossouw, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Tristan Stubbs, Wayne Parnell, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Lungi Ngidi

Key Players

David Miller: The South African has matured into one of the best finishers in the world, combining an ability to hold the innings together at a good rate through the middle overs before going berserk in the death overs. Against a quality bowling attack, the Proteas will need their main man to step up again.

Babar Azam: The South African attack screams of pace and if Pakistan are to counter them, they need skipper Babar Azam to step out of his poor form and go big. Pakistan thrive on his, and Rizwan's, starts and with all on the line in this contest, they'll hope Babar stands between the middle-order and South African quicks.

ICC

If this game was played in Perth, I'd give Pakistan virtually no chance because their batsmen wouldn't be able to handle the SA bowler's pace and bounce, but being at the SCG brings Pakistan back into the contest slightly.

That said SA looks so much stronger on paper, it's hard to see Pakistan winning even at the SCG

I have seen previous pakistani teams turn it around and play like a complete different team after very bad starts in tournaments but I have no hope for this pakistani team probably one of the worst teams we ever had

I am boycotting this match, reason is very simple, i can not support babur & saqi anymore. Infact i am off today from work so if i want i could watch this match end to end.

I watched them 6 times in Asia cup + 8 T20’s v Eng including warm up + 5 matches of banglawash series and 3 times in world cup

Total 22 matches

What did i get
3 + 2 + 5 + 1 = 11 defeats

Out of 11 wins many of them are v minnows
Afghanistan (1) bangla (2) holland (1) hongkong (1)

Not enough sample size to support this sorry bunch of players.

I am boycotting this match, reason is very simple, i can not support babur & saqi anymore. Infact i am off today from work so if i want i could watch this match end to end.

I watched them 6 times in Asia cup + 8 T20’s v Eng including warm up + 5 matches of banglawash series and 3 times in world cup

Total 22 matches

What did i get
3 + 2 + 5 + 1 = 11 defeats

Out of 11 wins many of them are v minnows
Afghanistan (1) bangla (2) holland (1) hongkong (1)

Not enough sample size to support this sorry bunch of players.

Hello dear.

I hope u remember my words.

This World Cup Will end in tears for Pakistan because of the approach they have.

You didnt believe me then.

You are welcome.

Hello dear.

I hope u remember my words.

This World Cup Will end in tears for Pakistan because of the approach they have.

You didnt believe me then.

You are welcome.

I gave opinion based on existing talent & skill they had. Which turned out to be insufficient.
Team did not execute it at biggest stage, not your fault or mine.

So yes you are right.

I have seen previous pakistani teams turn it around and play like a complete different team after very bad starts in tournaments but I have no hope for this pakistani team probably one of the worst teams we ever had

The problem is there is no surprise factor it’s the same stale top 3 of Babar Rizwan Shan they aren’t going to suddenly become match winners in fact the performances from the top order are bordering on minnow level in tournaments now.

If they bothered to select power hitters who can play on the backfoot fresh hope could’ve been given against Zimbabwe by bringing them in and today the momentum could’ve been with Pakistan.

Then there are fans who have a go at you and tear you apart with ridicule for saying this when all I’m doing is trying to help the team win which is what matters not sentiments towards certain players.

Muhammed Rizwan
Asif Ali
Babar Azam
Shan masood
Iftkhar Ahmed
Shadab khan
M nawaz
M waseem
Shaheen Afridi
Harris Rauf
Naseem Shah

Play asif up the order and get him to build the innings rather than blind sloging he can make use of the PP overs

If asif fails babar and shan can steady the ship
Babar can anchor, rizwan and shan hit the shots

Bring in iftikhar and shadab to finish

The problem is there is no surprise factor it’s the same stale top 3 of Babar Rizwan Shan they aren’t going to suddenly become match winners in fact the performances from the top order are bordering on minnow level in tournaments now.

If they bothered to select power hitters who can play on the backfoot fresh hope could’ve been given against Zimbabwe by bringing them in and today the momentum could’ve been with Pakistan.

Then there are fans who have a go at you and tear you apart with ridicule for saying this when all I’m doing is trying to help the team win which is what matters not sentiments towards certain players.

3 out of our top 4 are anchors this style is only suitable for odis

What does this match matter anymore?

Why the need for a thread? We should ignore this game as a sign of protest!

Pakistan have won the toss and have opted to bat in their Group 2 game against South Africa - one change to the XI, Mohammad Haris comes in place of Fakhar Zaman who has been ruled out of the tournament due to injury

97d09792-9ed9-4bfb-8de4-c87ee7cdb951.jpg9878f14f-b22f-42d0-843c-45f4809fcfc1.jpg4abfd2d2-83c4-493c-99e6-dd2926f67200.jpg

Last edited:
Pakistan batting first at SCG. And no Miller as well. It won't get any better for Pakistan. Should win this :inti

Great toss to win. Any score in the vicinity of 160 would be hard to chase considering the used pitch and Pak attack.

Doesn't matter they qualify or not, I'll support this team through their thick and thin

Every one has given up on asif Haider and khushdil this will be their last outing with Pakistan team for I believe good 2-3 years

No Miller and Klassen right hand replaces him. Great news for Pakistan and advantage match up wise as well.

Mohammad Haris straight into the XI?

Why have Khushdil and Asif Ali (c) been bypassed lol. Surely Haris should have been in the main squad in that case.

Shamsi is a wicket taker but Pakistan would have found Maharaj tougher to negotiate.

Babar's day, he will shine today vs SA but..I thought Pak would have preffered to chase

I hope muhammed harris can justify is place or it will be the biggest blunder of this tournament

How is he in Australian conditions?

Haris couldn't do anything even in Pakistan how he is gonna do well in these conditions.

He should not have played here but others are even more useless.

If Pakistan bat first and make 160+ run then Pakistan will win.

If bat second then target should be between 145-160

The SCG is one of the best batting surfaces in Australia. Pakistan need to make 180-200 to put de Kok Markram, Roussow and Klassen under any pressure.

160 will be easy pickings for SA.

Kagiso rabada has turned into a trundler nowadays and he averages over 50 in t20is in 2022

The SCG is one of the best batting surfaces in Australia. Pakistan need to make 180-200 to put de Kok Markram, Roussow and Klassen under any pressure.

160 will be easy pickings for SA.

South African batting is very thin. With Bavuma being a complete joke of a player, it is a basically 3 batter team Markram, Dekock and Miller. Rossouw too generally goes missing unless it is a batting paradise and avg bowling attack.

Surprising that both sides are playing only one spinner at the SCG.

Tpday Pakistan will be officially out of the semifinals race . rooting for South Africa win today .

M rooting for Pakistan so that India tops the group and meet England in semi final who are likely to end up second in their group. But a pak win is very unlikely

This is a must win game for SA and Pakistan. This is where SA choke and Pakistan are dangerous. Will be a fun match to follow.

Babar is getting ripped apart from all corners. There was always this risk, that when Rizwan and Babar see a loss of form, the batting will fall apart so spectacularly that it opens the team to criticism from all corners.

Tom Moody of all people being very critical of the politics involved with the current Pakistan batting setup and more importantly Babar’s questionable role in that.

Babar is getting ripped apart from all corners. There was always this risk, that when Rizwan and Babar see a loss of form, the batting will fall apart so spectacularly that it opens the team to criticism from all corners.

Tom Moody of all people being very critical of the politics involved with the current Pakistan batting setup and more importantly Babar’s questionable role in that.

Source? where did Moody said that. I thought politics went away in the current Pakistan unit and they are a tight bunch.

Source? where did Moody said that. I thought politics went away in the current Pakistan unit and they are a tight bunch.
Cannot cite the source as that’s probably not allowed here, but the passion in his argument was quite surprising. Babar has to be mentally strong to take this and come out of this as a better captain, if he crumbles and doesn’t learn, will break him as a player too.

Cannot cite the source as that’s probably not allowed here, but the passion in his argument was quite surprising. Babar has to be mentally strong to take this and come out of this as a better captain, if he crumbles and doesn’t learn, will break him as a player too.

Strange. I always thought that this current team under Babar has it flaws..But no politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back