South Africa (163/6) defeat England (156/6) in a thrilling encounter by 7 runs in Super 8 Group 2 clash of ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Would be a shame if Saffers qualify ahead of Windies.

This level of execution in a KO will be severely punished.

Topsy turvy match. SA should have won easily. Then after some time it looked like England should have won easily. Now SA should win early. Good match finally

England will still make it to the semis. They will beat USA very badly in the next game.

We wouldn't have taken half the catches taken today...shows what a huge gulf in fielding between elite sides and Pakistan

a full toss and an over pitched delivery... any other power hitter would have deposited both for sixes!!

WI can still go through by beating RSA and USA big. RSA might regret taking the foot off the pedal against USA when they had them for 76-5.

But if you can see the last over again. Sam Curran got a full toss and an over pitched delivery and failed miserably to put both away for sixes.

Rabada with his 3rd over gave away the game. But then bowled the next over that brought them back in the game. Signs of a great bowler.

This should have never come to this. SA made the match interesting with bad bowling. I think Markram could have bowled one or two more overs

But if you can see the last over again. Sam Curran got a full toss and an over pitched delivery and failed miserably to put both away for sixes.
low full tosses are hard to dispatch. sam curran does nt have that skill. could have tried ramp over fine leg though

He is a 2.26 million dollars player. Don't say a word about him. LOL.hahah

Calm down everyone. Saf was trying to make it close, otherwise you all would have complained that all of the super eight matches have been one sided.

If westindies win remaining games

England will definitely win against USA

Then England, Westindies and South Africa all three team have 4 point each.
Its come down to NRR

West indies needs to win very big against USA to have any chance . Then beat SA in final game

WI can still go through by beating RSA and USA big. RSA might regret taking the foot off the pedal against USA when they had them for 76-5.
Yeah SA didn't beat USA hard enough , just by 18 runs. Now even their last match against WI is a must win match for them.

They can execute better than these guys, by far.
No they can't.

SA have shown in this cup, in 4 games that they can hold their nerve.

Their biggest problem is mid way botches that can potentially cost them but against Nepal, Nedtherlands and England they have held their nerve and delivered at the end.

Pakistan have shown that they can't hold their nerve at end games at all.

For sa they botch in the middle and have to fight for their life at the end

Pakistan on the other hand typically botch at the end from winning positions which is what happened against India and USA.

It also happened against NZ c team in the 2nd t20, happened against Ireland, Also happened a few times in the Australian test series, They also botched it against sa in 2023 wc.

Want more proof? They botched against India in 2022 wc at the end game, they also did so against Australia in 2021 wc.

Sa in this cup have only botched in the middle phases. Heck even in 2023 wc, it was usually middle phase botches that caused the end game to be unwinnable.

SA despite winning 2 matches already , need another victory against WI to seal their semi final spot because of a narrow victory against USA.

Tonight's USA vs wi will be good! If USA can pull off another upset, it opens the group wide open! 🙂

If westindies win remaining games

England will definitely win against USA

Then England, Westindies and South Africa all three team have 4 point each.
Its come down to NRR

South Africa have better NRR but if they lose to Windies and England beat USA, England can end with better NRR.

De Kock stars again as South Africa edge England in Super Eights thriller

Quinton de Kock fired South Africa to victory against England as the Super Eights continued in Gros Islet, where both sides look to prove themselves as real contenders for the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2024 crown.

They racked up 163/6 in their 20 overs, setting England a target of 164 to win.

And England fell just short, despite a brilliant innings from Harry Brook, reaching 156/6 after the loss of three early wickets meant they got only as far as 60/3 in the first ten overs of their chase.

Jos Buttler's side staggered through the group stages but made a bright start to Super Eights action with a fine win over West Indies. What's more, their net run-rate is currently 1.343, putting them on top of Group 2 after the first round of matches.

South Africa have edged over the line in several matches they might have hoped to win more decisively, but Quinton de Kock's spectacular innings against USA in their first Super Eights match looked as if it may be an impetus towards better things.

England did not made any changes since their last outing, while South Africa brought back Ottneil Baartman in place of Tabraiz Shamsi.

De Kock picked up where he left off against the USA, taking on all the bowlers and coming out on top.

By the end of the tenth over, South Africa were 87/1, having lost only Reeza Hendricks, caught by Harry Brook off Moeen Ali.

However, there was certainly a shout for a De Kock dismissal as Mark Wood thought he had caught him at the start of the ninth - but TV umpire Joel Wilson judged that his fingers had been pointing downwards and not taken the catch cleanly.

Still, there was some stellar fielding to come, primarily from captain Buttler behind the stumps.

First he removed De Kock with a magnificent leaping one-handed catch off the bowling of Jofra Archer.

And then he ran out Heinrich Klaasen with an exceptional piece of work, picking up the ball and turning quickly to throw a direct hit at the stumps.

His opposite number Aiden Markram had a less successful time of it, dragging Adil Rashid on to the stumps for just a single run.

And at the start of the last over, Archer took two in two balls, with Brook's catch to dismiss David Miller for a creditable 43 before Marco Jansen chipped to Sam Curran at cover for a duck.

Heroics from Harry Brook were not enough to get England over the line.

The openers fell early, with Phil Salt making just 11 (caught Hendricks and bowled by Kagiso Rabada), Jonny Bairstow 16 (caught Anrich Nortje and bowled by Keshav Maharaj), and Buttler 17 (caught Klaasen and bowled by Maharaj).

It left them at 54/3, and when Moeen Ali went for 9, it left Brook at the crease with Liam Livingstone. The pair put on a sensational partnership of 78 runs off 42 balls, with Brook making a classy half-century.

After their departures, though - Livingstone caught by Tristan Stubbs off the bowling of Rabada, and Brook caught by Markram off Nortje - there was too much for Sam Curran and Jofra Archer to do.

ICC

South Africa have better NRR but if they lose to Windies and England beat USA, England can end with better NRR.
Westindies definitely want to win big against USA to improve the NRR and also beat South Africa then South Africa likely to out due to NRR

SA victory margin was only 18 against USA, and only 7 against England in total only 25 runs margin. If WI can defeat USA by 40 runs they will Max only need a 1 run victory over SA to qualify.

SA victories have not been by a big margin so why will WI victories will have to be by bigger margins ? A team hardly gains any advantage by winning by 18 and 7 runs, that too 18 runs against a minnow like USA.

Saw end of the match. Brook should've finished it for ENG. Missed opportunity especially as SAF didn't execute particularly well at the death.

This will be the tighter of the Super 8 groups with the other already looking a foregone conclusion.

WI vs SA match will be a do or die match for WI. WI will target winning big against USA. Once that is done it will be a must win match for SA which is where their real choking may happen.

Quinton de Kock (South Africa player) post-match Press Conference - 22nd June 2024

[Reporter:]

Jos has said that, effectively, the way you went about things right at the start of the game in the powerplay was where the match was won. Did it feel like that at the time?

[Quinton De Kock:]

I think I wouldn't say it was won or lost. Obviously, it makes a massive impact. I've played a lot of day T20s in cricket in the West Indies and generally that is the most important time to score runs, it was the easiest time to score runs. I was in the power play and the ball was old, as the wicket deteriorates it gets harder. Look I think our bowlers also bowled really well, one or two key moments that could have also been a standout over I think KG's final over was also could be potential match winning. I think there was other moments but obviously that's probably one of our better power players this whole World Cup so could be you never know.

And then yeah as you said that for every boundary you got away in the power play England actually couldn't match that and your bowlers tied them up, I guess conversely was that where you felt from a target of one six three you actually moved into in favourites when you shut them down in that powerplay?

No, definitely not. I've played against enough of the England boys around the world. You get one of them get going. They're all match winners; they can win games from anywhere. Looked like Harry was well on the way to be doing that then obviously Aidan just took a stunner which was a big moment for us in the context of the game so yeah, I'm not saying that just the time we won it but just small moments.

The catching across the board was excellent that you fell to a really good catch as well – with that Markram one can you can you talk us through it explain how hard it is to do what he did?

Yeah, I don't think the TV does it justice when people are watching from the outside. From the angle of the wicket, coming straight down, there's a massive left to right wind from my direction. I don't know, maybe like 40km an hour, 50km an hour. So, it's not the ball's just getting pushed, but also getting moved that way. And he actually turned on the inside. So, the ball's always moving towards the boundary. And credit to - I've seen Aiden, I think a lot of the guys, everybody takes the high catches but he practices those catches all the time. So, you don't really see it when I play in other teams around the world, you've got different captains, I don't see them really practicing that sort of, those catches, but I see him did it and he won us a game well won us a moment in the game today.

Just picking up on what you said there, so when you walked out to bat were you pretty clear that the pass score today would be a bit lower than it was in the previous night games here?

Yeah, I was, I don't know if the rest of the guys knew, but I had a fair sense. I've played here quite a bit in the Caribbean League. Same thing, Wicket looks beautiful at night, plays most differently, but at the day 160 - 170 are winning scores here in the day. I think generally it goes by like that in the Caribbean. I think the lights and maybe a bit of dew at night help the ball skid on a bit better. But I could be wrong, but that's what I saw today.

You mentioned the wind as well, can you just tell us a bit about how you try and use that when you're batting?

Yeah, I think wins definitely a big factor especially open the batting when you've only got two guys out you've got to use that win as much as you can don't fight it just try and use it but yeah, I think it's going to be like that the whole the rest of the World Cup when win definitely plays a big factor.

Do you think it plays a bigger factor in the Caribbean than just about anywhere else in the world in terms of the impact it has on games?

I think generally wherever in the world there's wind you're going to try and use it anyway. So, whether it's the Caribbean, South Africa, England, India, it doesn't matter. Wherever there's wind you're generally just going to use it.

When the final equation of this group is set up and you find out whether you go through again, might you end up extremely thankful to Harry Brooke that this was a defeat but not a big one?

[Jos Buttler:]

Yeah, I think we played really well there. I think Brooke and Livingston had a fantastic partnership, like I say on a slow wicket where other guys struggled and I thought their partnership was brilliant and they've got us a tour a position where , you're probably looking like your favourites at one point to go on and win the game. So, yeah, I think not really. The big picture is obviously net run rate is that's that. But yeah, I thought that was an awesome partnership and just couldn't quite finish it off.

And I know it's quite fresh after the game but can you allow yourself to feel positive-ish about a single figures defeat because it is that tight?

Yeah.

Have you changed the balance of the side a wee bit since the start of the tournament and what's the thinking behind that?

I wanted to have four seam options. So that's the reason for changing the balance. Sam gives us that four seamer option and also another left-handed batter.

Would that be more useful generally on wickets that were more like they were the other night really high scoring wickets it I mean did you think it was going to be that sort of wicket again did it look very similar it does from where we are?

Yeah, it looked a similar wicket the games have this has been so far in the tournament the best batting - pitch now We're very happy with the side we picked.

Joss, you're not taking many early wickets, but seem to get into a position with the ball where you'd probably be quite happy with, I guess. Is that fair and why do you think you're not getting the wickets but are getting to where you want to be? How do you sum up how you're going with the ball?

You're not taking too many wickets with the new ball, but are probably getting to where you want to be with the targets? I don't know if you agree. What do you think, and why do you think you're not getting wickets to the ball with the new ball, and what do you think of how you've gone generally as a result of that?

Yeah, I think everyone's striving for early wickets in T20 cricket. It's the best time to bat obviously and but the ball can swing a bit so I thought Topley was bowled really well. The tougher overs in the power play today were from the bottom end which De Kock really took on and took some risks and played well so as I've mentioned I felt like the power play was the difference in the game I think the way Quinny could bat at the rate that none of us could bat at for - but like I say, yeah, we fought back brilliantly well with the ball and restricted a really strong line-up to what was about a par score probably.

Can I just ask about the wind? It feels like it's played a massive role in the two games here. Could you just talk a bit about how you tried to use that both as a batting side and a bowling side and I suppose whether today's was even bigger than a couple of nights ago?

Yeah, the wind's been playing a big part in all the games. It was just a simple plan to try and get people to hit into the wind as opposed to with it. That's another reason for the team balance like we have to have that four-seamer and another left-handed batter. So, it gives us another option, the left-hand, right-hand combination, to try and have somebody hitting with the wind.

Back