South Africa (60/1) thrash Afghanistan (56) by 9 wickets to advance to the final of ICC T20 World Cup 2024

Markram is decimating Afghanistan and sounding out a warning to India/England. They are here to win the cup

Arguably the best cricket world cup.song ever and South Africa in the final. This world cup is already a hit. India vs Eng will be a cracker too.

Arguably the best cricket world cup.song ever and South Africa in the final. This world cup is already a hit. India vs Eng will be a cracker too.
Hopefully a nerve wracking thriller. and not a one sided game like this one

that temptation may have won India the cup finally
What you keep.forgetting is, India is the team that knocked aussies off in this world cup. Aussies could have gone through if they beat India. But they didn't so they went

pakistan did nt get eliminated coz of pitches.. we failed to defend 12 off 3 against USA and bottled the run a ball 50 run chase after 10 overs against India
Australia scored only 80 runs in the last 10 overs at Gros let against INdia with 8 wickets in hand. You are talking about Pakistan scoring 63 runs in the last 10 at New york. with 8 wickets in hand.

What you keep.forgetting is, India is the team that knocked aussies off in this world cup. Aussies could have gone through if they beat India. But they didn't so they went
Aussies had genuine chance when BD only needed to be bit more sensible in chase. 12.1 was not happening after 3 wickets fell under 30. they still went for it. plus some poor game awareness by litton, took single and exposed the bowlers

I’m not sure what your point is? Do I prefer these kind of pitches? No, but all the matches have been played throughout on these type of pitches and you lot have been jumping up and down and calling it the best T20 world up ever. Why did you guys not complain about the pitches before and how top teams are struggling? You were so happy about low scoring thrillers before.
Which lot. I never called it good. Too many low scores. I am never a fan of WI pitches. Their standard has gone down significantly.

Lol Afghanistan embarrassed like no other team in a semi final.
Most embarrassing performance from a team in a semi final.

Great for SA and great for the game. A premium.team finally broke the shackles and this belief could make them a true contender in the future along with this one. A pernnial.neutral.fan fav conquered pressure in almost every game and deserved an easy pass through in the SF. Congrats SA!!

Australia scored only 80 runs in the last 10 overs at Gros let against INdia with 8 wickets in hand. You are talking about Pakistan scoring 63 runs in the last 10 at New york. with 8 wickets in hand.
im pretty sure if Fakhar zaman was bit more sensible , instead of taking on Hardik’s short ball.. should have taken chances against akshar. pretty sure he could have extracted 10 off him , imad only scored 1.. that was criminal. final margin was 6 runs

Congrats SA for their maiden final entry. Guys instead of sulking why Australia didn't reach semi (which is not the team of yours) just be happy with SA reaching the final. Gosh. too much whining about this Aussie noa making. They have enough trophies in their cup board. Just let someone else win.

Absolutely zero heart and fight by Afghanistan. Just a little bit of extra pace and bounce by South Africa and Afghanistani batsmen shat themselves

I hope everyone is happy.

Listen to me kiddos.

This match was the most one sided semi final in history.

Stop making associate sides playing main rounds of World Cup.

im pretty sure if Fakhar zaman was bit more sensible , instead of taking on Hardik’s short ball.. should have taken chances against akshar. pretty sure he could have extracted 10 off him , imad only scored 1.. that was criminal. final margin was 6 runs
Do you realize how India gifted wickets in their innings? None of them was wicket taking deliveries. India committed way more harakiri than Pakistan.

Kudos to Afghans as well!! Any team that beats two semi final.teams in Australia and New Zealand deserves to be in the Semi final. They deserved a better pitch and should have controlled their nerves but a great platform to build on. If Afg beats your team in the future, don't be surprised because they will. Congrats on the great performance in this WC

Aussies had genuine chance when BD only needed to be bit more sensible in chase. 12.1 was not happening after 3 wickets fell under 30. they still went for it. plus some poor game awareness by litton, took single and exposed the bowlers
Genuine chance is gone when you lose to two.teams in super 8

Kudos to Afghans as well!! Any team that beats two semi final.teams in Australia and New Zealand deserves to be in the Semi final. They deserved a better pitch and should have controlled their nerves but a great platform to build on. If Afg beats your team in the future, don't be surprised because they will. Congrats on the great performance in this WC
Just case your memory back to 2007 world cup. South Africa had to lose gracefully. Lose by 37 runs in a T20 game. India reduced SA to 15/4 or something in no time. They were the Afghanistan we see now. This is the first time Afghanistan is making a semi final that too on a dodgy pitch.

Just case your memory back to 2007 world cup. South Africa had to lose gracefully. Lose by 37 runs in a T20 game. India reduced SA to 15/4 or something in no time. They were the Afghanistan we see now. This is the first time Afghanistan is making a semi final that too on a dodgy pitch.
Yep. Things will only look up for Afg from here.

This Afghanistan team ruined semi final just like that usa ruined super 8 group.
This was a terrible format from ICC
The pitches haven been just abysmal.

point is Pak should have won it after India gave them such a huge opportunity.
Yea.. But India had arsenal to snuff them out. They did that successfully. You are over-rating Pakistan batting. They scored a mere 159 at Dallas. That is where you lost. Not super over. Not 12 runs 3 balls. You should have scored 190 on that wicket. Canada scored 193 on the same venue against USA.

These terrible pitches made these teams like Afghanistan look good.

Afganistan has only one t20i batsman and one odi batsman in that zadran.

No way they should have progressed to semi final with this terrible team.

2nd best team in sub-continent produces this stinker

yea.. In the one dayer they beat England, gave Australia a run for money, beat Pakistan. What else you want? This is T20 on a dodgy pitch in a knock out game for the first time. Things can go south. No big deal.

yea.. In the one dayer they beat England, gave Australia a run for money, beat Pakistan. What else you want? This is T20 on a dodgy pitch in a knock out game for the first time. Things can go south. No big deal.
No man they are not good enough not with this terrible batting line-up.
No way this team is a good T20 team certainly not on a true T20 pitch.

No man they are not good enough not with this terrible batting line-up.
No way this team is a good T20 team certainly not on a true T20 pitch.
This is not a true T20 pitch. ON a true T20 pitch they would have batted well. THey scored 240 against the same SA attack in the world cup 2023.

Yea.. But India had arsenal to snuff them out. They did that successfully. You are over-rating Pakistan batting. They scored a mere 159 at Dallas. That is where you lost. Not super over. Not 12 runs 3 balls. You should have scored 190 on that wicket. Canada scored 193 on the same venue against USA.
im not over rating Pakistan’s batting. given the situations in both games Pak should have won both. 119 chase suited Pak style of batting. slow burn. India definitely had chance but 90% from both countries thought Pakistan won it after 11 overs were done. infact legendary Tendulkar congratulated Fakhar Alam in media box according to his interview

This is not a true T20 pitch. ON a true T20 pitch they would have batted well. THey scored 240 against the same SA attack in the world cup 2023.
That was a odi match and they still struggle to put 300 on board.
Their bowling is decent but their batting is just abysmal.

im not over rating Pakistan’s batting. given the situations in both games Pak should have won both. 119 chase suited Pak style of batting. slow burn. India definitely had chance but 90% from both countries thought Pakistan won it after 11 overs were done. infact legendary Tendulkar congratulated Fakhar Alam in media box according to his interview
Batting in the 2nd half was insanely impossible at new york. Every team suffered during that phase.

Nobody realized how treacherous that pitch was after 15 overs. Every team lost their way after 15 overs on that pitch.

That was a odi match and they still struggle to put 300 on board.
Their bowling is decent but their batting is just abysmal.
Yea.. their batting is not suitable for T20. But their bowling is very good. No.1 and No.3 bowler in the tournaments are afghanistan. They got here because of their bowling. That is a bit like Pakistan style.

Batting in the 2nd half was insanely impossible at new york. Every team suffered during that phase.
all other small teams . like i said with right strategy Pak had one foot through the gate after 11 overs. 1 run off Akshar is not pitch’s doing. that was imad bottling it

all other small teams . like i said with right strategy Pak had one foot through the gate after 11 overs. 1 run off Akshar is not pitch’s doing. that was imad bottling it
Not bottling. Variable bounce. After pitching the bounce was unpredictable. It was tough. Everyone struggled there. Only Pant and Miller looked to have any sort of control.

Good, now I don't have to deal with the dissapointnent of beating my second team for the World Cup title.

Bring on the Saffas :akhtar

And bad luck to Afgans. Pitches like these, batting first just kills your chances completely. India too almost lost to Pakistan this world cup, we were lucky to win.

No one is rooting for South Africa, but this treatment of Afghanistan was necessary.

Just like it is necessary for England to once again remind Indian fans that their superstars don’t have the chops to win white ball trophies.

Last edited by a moderator:
And bad luck to Afgans. Pitches like these, batting first just kills your chances completely. India too almost lost to Pakistan this world cup, we were lucky to win.
Defending is the way to go for a team like Afghanistan. But on an up and down pitch Afghanistan is no match against 3 pacers who are rapid and they are also tall.

No one is rooting for South Africa, but this treatment of Afghanistan was necessary.

Just like it is necessary for England to once again remind Indian fans that their superstars don’t have the chops to win white ball trophies.

India sent England home in 2023 world cup for that :) Above all 4-1 thrashing that will stay in history for life.

Saw the fall of wickets. Some brutal timber destruction from Rabada
Seen him bowl a the stadium he's got the most effortless run-up and action and bowls rapid

Defending is the way to go for a team like Afghanistan. But on an up and down pitch Afghanistan is no match against 3 pacers who are rapid and they are also tall.
I always feel you bat second on these pitches. Guessing the wrong par score just kills the game for you first innings.

Didn't watch this match tbh .. but I guess wickets fell trying to up the run-rate too? Or was it all pitch?

The way Indians have embraced the Afghanistan team is quite amusing. Many Indians posted comments mocking Bangladesh for not trying to win the match in 12.1 overs—not because they wanted Bangladesh to reach the semifinals, but because they knew that achieving such a target was impossible and would result in the loss of wickets.

I always feel you bat second on these pitches. Guessing the wrong par score just kills the game for you first innings.

India could have easily scored 140 against Pakistan, but we got bundled out for 119 because we wanted 150-160.

Didn't watch this match tbh .. but I guess wickets fell trying to up the run-rate too? Or was it all pitch?
Even good teams will struggle to chase. If they score 130 they can easily defend after triggering a collapse. Did you see the amount of cracks the pitch had. Some balls just kept low. Some ball kicked off a length. For a team that depends on 2 batsmen this is too much. That is why Afghanistan looked worse than they are.

Even good teams will struggle to chase. If they score 130 they can easily defend after triggering a collapse. Did you see the amount of cracks the pitch had. Some balls just kept low. Some ball kicked off a length. For a team that depends on 2 batsmen this is too much. That is why Afghanistan looked worse than they are.
No, did not watch anything. I see.

Seeing many Afghan's including some of their social media influencers coping with this defeat by dragging Pakistan into it i.e. atleast we guys made the semi's unlike you.

This is Afghanistan's best white ball side with the best spinners and with the perfect conditions for them, they will not get a better opportunity. Teams from now on will take them very seriously and not give them an inch going forward.

Great to see RSA thrash Afghanistan like their grandpa. Our annoying neighbours had been getting up my nose for a while now thinking of themselves as world beaters. They are still a rookie side depending mostly on Rashid Khan who got lucky in the tournament, that's all. RSA versus India or England will make for a much better final then Afghanistan who would have got crushed by these two sides. We all know how the Afghan's always lay down in front of India to keep their IPL contacts in tact. It would have been nothing short of a joke, a travesty to see Afghanistan play in the final.

Okay, the pitch was pathetic for a major semi but it was also the same for both sides. Most if not all of these Afghan players don't live in Afghanistan such is their love for their country. Some live in the UAE where as others do in India. I was rockin' like Elvis for the rainbow nation even wearing their colours:cool:. Was awesome to see them get a bit heavy with the Afghan's when they were bowling. I am okay if India win the tournament however these Afghans you've got the be kiddin' me!.

I wanted Bangladesh to tank them in the last match good and proper thereby wiping the smiles of their smug faces. Can hear the needle drop in Kandahar and Kabul!:LOL: They will never tell you that that Afghan cricket was built by Pakistan. At least we have won ICC tournaments unlike them!

Partly down to scheduling. I think Afghanistan were cooked. The match a couple of nights ago was a psychological rollercoaster and was their cup final really. They didn’t have much chance at all to rest/prepare after that one & couldn’t get themselves up for this. They’ll go again.

I think Afghanistan were cooked. The match a couple of nights ago was a psychological rollercoaster and was their cup final really. They didn’t have much chance at all to rest/prepare after that one & couldn’t get themselves up for this. They’ll go again.
One reason. They played their last match barely 48 hours ago. They were in celebration mode all night. Just one day later they had to be up for the next match. They were not switched on how one should be switched on for a semi final. It happens to the most experienced teams at times. That and combination of pitch and the bowling attack made them look far worse than they can be.

Back