Indian police arrest Muslim journalist accused of insulting Hindus

Stewie

Test Debutant
Runs
https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/28/india/mohammed-zubair-india-arrest-journalist-intl-hnk/index.html

Delhi police have arrested a prominent Muslim journalist, accusing him of insulting religious beliefs on social media, in a move condemned by free speech advocates.

Mohammed Zubair, co-founder of fact-checking website Alt News, which debunks misinformation in the Indian media, was arrested Monday and remanded overnight in police custody, said KPS Malhotra, a deputy commissioner in Delhi’s Cyber Crime Unit.

Malhotra said Zubair was arrested under two sections of the Indian Penal Code related to maintaining religious harmony.

Zubair often tweets criticism of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) for what he and other critics claim is a crackdown on the rights of the country’s roughly 200 million Muslims.

His arrest comes amid repeated accusations by critics that the BJP is using colonial-era laws to quash any form of criticism and encourage self-censorship.

Zubair’s lawyer, Kawalpreet Kaur, said the journalist had been summoned for questioning in relation to a 2020 criminal investigation into his social media posts – from which he had previously been granted protection from arrest by the Delhi High Court. But when he responded to the summons, police arrested him over a separate case, she said.

Kaur showed CNN a police complaint in which a Twitter user accused Zubair of insulting Hindus on the platform in 2018, in a post about the renaming of a hotel after a Hindu god.

She accused the authorities of not following proper procedure and of giving Zubair no notice.

Malhotra, the deputy commissioner, did not respond to CNN’s questions about whether police had followed proper procedure during the arrest.

India is facing a firestorm over ruling party officials' comments about Islam. Here's what you need to know
Earlier this month, Zubair had criticized the now suspended national spokesperson for the BJP, Nupur Sharma, for making derogatory comments about Islam’s Prophet Mohammed – remarks that had set off a diplomatic row. At least 15 Muslim-majority nations condemned Sharma’s remarks, several of them summoning India’s ambassadors and describing the comments as “Islamophobic.”

Among Zubair’s recent social media posts are videos he claims show Hindu extremists giving hate-speeches against Islam, a minority religion in India where nearly 80% of people are Hindu.

Zubair’s arrest has outraged politicians, journalists and news organizations, who have demanded his release.

The Editors Guild of India in a statement Tuesday said it was “apparent that Alt News’ alert vigilance was resented by those who use disinformation as a tool to polarise society and rake nationalist sentiments.”

Shashi Tharoor, an MP from India’s opposition Congress party, said the arrest was an “assault on truth.”

“India’s few fact-checking services, especially Alt News, perform a vital service in our post-truth political environment, rife with disinformation,” Tharoor wrote on Twitter Monday. “They debunk falsehoods whoever perpetrates them. To arrest (Zubair) is an assault on truth. He should be released immediately.”

The Committee to Protect Journalists on Monday called on Indian authorities to “immediately and unconditionally release” Zubair, and “cease harassing him in retaliation for his work.”

So muslims can insult Hinduism and if arrested its attack on FoE.

This won't wash anymore in India. You insult a religion you face the music. Crying victim wont help.

So muslims can insult Hinduism and if arrested its attack on FoE.

This won't wash anymore in India. You insult a religion you face the music. Crying victim wont help.

Was the Hindu politician who arrested the Holy Prophet arrested?

Also can you provide evidence of how this journalist insulted hinduism?

Let’s compare the two cases and I will agree with your statement if their crimes and punishments are similar.

Anyone who follows @Zoo_Bear's twitter account knows what a venomous person he is. He should have been arrested long time ago. He also got a facebook account from where spreads hatred 24/7...hopefully govt will take action on that account too.

Also, not only him.....police should also arrest likes of Mahua Moitra, Kunal Kamra, Dhruv Rathee, Swara Bhaskar and Yogendra Yadav. These guys are no good for society and only uses social media platform to spread hatred.

I think it is just a start...slowly but surely...sabka time aayega.

Let’s compare the two cases and I will agree with your statement if their crimes and punishments are similar.

Let me tell you,

Kamlesh Tiwari a small time politician insulted the Prophet(pbuh). He was jailed for a year. He was released after 1 year. 2 muslims murdered him later for the insults. Incident is from 2019.

January this year, a Person Kishan Boliya was shot dead for alleged insult to Islam. 2 maulvis had planned the murder and instigated two muslim youths to do it.

Today, 2 muslims beheaded a hindu guy because he had shared a FB post where he supported Nupur Sharma and said it was FoE.

Hindus have been far too tolerant about these insults to religion, in the name of FoE. Nupur Sharma episode has broken the Camel's back. So Zubair has to face the law.

So don't even try to compare the two cases.

Anyone who follows @Zoo_Bear's twitter account knows what a venomous person he is. He should have been arrested long time ago. He also got a facebook account from where spreads hatred 24/7...hopefully govt will take action on that account too.

Also, not only him.....police should also arrest likes of Mahua Moitra, Kunal Kamra, Dhruv Rathee, Swara Bhaskar and Yogendra Yadav. These guys are no good for society and only uses social media platform to spread hatred.

Just today, 2 muslims beheaded a man in Rajasthan because he supported Nupur Sharma. And they cry victim over arrest of Zubair.

Ah yes, the largest democracy where lies are plentiful and hypocrisy is a way of life.

Why don't you google before asking something which you don't know?
They are lot of stuff..just posting few..

FWRyQ-JaAAA8EC2.jpg

FWR_y-VaQAAcF96.jpg

FWRxK6WacAI-p7G.jpg

FWVN-f3akAEZO5y.jpg

Last edited:
Have a look at the posts in this thread, you'll see how even middle class indians have gone rabid crazy with anger/hate in the Modi era, cackling with delight as a citizen gets arrested by the incumbent government for having an opinion. Just depressing.

Some very dark and dangerous times ahead for India.

Have a look at the posts in this thread, you'll see how even middle class indians have gone rabid crazy with anger/hate in the Modi era, cackling with delight as a citizen gets arrested by the incumbent government for having an opinion. Just depressing.

Have you liberals ever complained on this?

Vlogger Roddur Roy booked for abusing West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee over KK's last concert

KOLKATA: A case was filed against vlogger Roddur Roy on Saturday for allegedly abusing West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee in a Facebook live, police said.

The case was lodged under relevant sections of the IPC after a complaint was filed by TMC spokesperson Riju Dutta at Chitpur police station, they said.

"An investigation has been started in the matter as per the relevant sections of the IPC. He has been summoned as a part of the probe," he said.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/na...a-banerjee-over-kks-last-concert-2461886.html

Have you liberals ever complained on this?

If you had started a thread on this topic, I would have denounced this as well. I am arguing for the principle of free speech here, I am not anti-BJP, anti-Congress, anti-TMC or anti-anything else.

He was arrested as per the law of the land.

Where was the outrage when Hindus were killed for alleged insults to Islam?

and what is that reason, please elaborate ?

Supreme Court judgement that says arrest isnt necessary if the sections entail a punishment of less than 7 years. Read Rajnesh Kumar judgement.

Ofcourse there are exceptions like, if a person is repeat offender, or if he isn't cooperating with investigations or trying to remove or manipulate evidence.

Sabka time aayega only when the BJP has a state election to win or a score to settle.

In this age where attention spans are 30 seconds or less especially on social media, they have managed to dig up something on somebody from 2018? Go figure. How convenient.

Sabka time aayega only when the BJP has a state election to win or a score to settle.

In this age where attention spans are 30 seconds or less especially on social media, they have managed to dig up something on somebody from 2018? Go figure. How convenient.

Which state election is coming?

I still don’t understand what’s objectionable about what he said. He is trying to find common grounds between abhramic faiths and hinduism based on his tweets.

Can the Hindu posters explain what they find offensive about what he said rather than asking us to Google?

Also let us not try to equate street justice with proper justice. If Hindu alleged offenders were killed by their Muslim citizens, that’s not justice, of course. Can they provide examples of their government and judiciary dolingnout proper justice? Such as arresting nupur woman over what she said. Also do her crimes match the crimes of this journalists or not?

If you want to discuss Muslims In india murdering Hindus and dishing out street justice, please discuss it in a different thread. Let us not try and change the topic here.

Supreme Court judgement that says arrest isnt necessary if the sections entail a punishment of less than 7 years. Read Rajnesh Kumar judgement..

What sections are you talking about? Can you post a link to this judgement ? I've googled it but no luck.

I still don’t understand what’s objectionable about what he said. He is trying to find common grounds between abhramic faiths and hinduism based on his tweets.

Can the Hindu posters explain what they find offensive about what he said rather than asking us to Google?

Also let us not try to equate street justice with proper justice. If Hindu alleged offenders were killed by their Muslim citizens, that’s not justice, of course. Can they provide examples of their government and judiciary dolingnout proper justice? Such as arresting nupur woman over what she said. Also do her crimes match the crimes of this journalists or not?

If you want to discuss Muslims In india murdering Hindus and dishing out street justice, please discuss it in a different thread. Let us not try and change the topic here.

Kamlesh Tiwari was arrested and put in jail for 1 year. Still he was killed by muslims.

Kishan Boliya was shot dead despite FIR being registered and he being questioned by police.

Its obvious that a section muslims believe in street justice. The results of this won't ve very favorable.

Nupur cannot be arrested just like that. There is a process.

Supreme Court judgement that says arrest isnt necessary if the sections entail a punishment of less than 7 years. Read Rajnesh Kumar judgement.

Ofcourse there are exceptions like, if a person is repeat offender, or if he isn't cooperating with investigations or trying to remove or manipulate evidence.

Last edited:
One actor was arrested for insulting Sharad Pawar. She was kept in jail for 40 days.
Not one word from the FoE advocates.

How do you know ? I've commented on both this Pawar issue and the Mamata arrest on my social media accounts.

Why didn't you start a thread about this in Timepass? Seems like you didn't care either.

Can the Hindu posters explain what they find offensive about what he said rather than asking us to .

I don't get it either what's objective about Nupur Sharma said ? She quoted what was written on the Hadith..

Can you answer.

What sections are you talking about? Can you post a link to this judgement ? I've googled it but no luck.

Section 295A of IPC which deals with insults to religion. Its maximum punishment is 3 years if read along with 153.

Rajneesh vs Neha judgement came in 2013. It came after Rajneesh Kumar and his family was arrested under 498A. Supreme court categorically laid down the process for arrests in sections when the punishment is less than 7 years.

How do you know ? I've commented on both this Pawar issue and the Mamata arrest on my social media accounts.

Why didn't you start a thread about this in Timepass? Seems like you didn't care either.

I cared enough to say that Roddur Roy was not arrested when he insulted Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and Rabindra nath Tagore. But arrested for insulting Mamata.

Kamlesh Tiwari was arrested and put in jail for 1 year. Still he was killed by muslims.

Kishan Boliya was shot dead despite FIR being registered and he being questioned by police.

Its obvious that a section muslims believe in street justice. The results of this won't ve very favorable.

Nupur cannot be arrested just like that. There is a process.

My point is keep it equal and level with both sides. How is it that this guy was arrested right away and we have been hearing about Sharma for weeks and she has not been arrested at all.

Besides what did this guy really say that merits his arrest? What Sharma said insinuated that our Prophet was married to a child, which is not true. There is direct historic tradition available that discusses this. But a politician, of all people, bringing this up obviously means she is trying to stoke anti muslim sentiment. But I will still support her freedom and she can say what she wants, as long as she is not inciting violence against someone or some people.
With that being said, you really have to do a better job in backing your case by telling us how this guy insulted Hindus. I, so far, have seen zero evidence of that.

I don't get it either what's objective about Nupur Sharma said ? She quoted what was written on the Hadith..

Can you answer.

what Hadith did she quote? Will you please enlighten us?

If its her personal opinion, I dont care, she is free to say what she wants, but if she is incorrectly quoting Ahadith, then there is a problem.
So what hadith did she quote?

g7iBgY2.png

what Hadith did she quote? Will you please enlighten us?

If its her personal opinion, I dont care, she is free to say what she wants, but if she is incorrectly quoting Ahadith, then there is a problem.
So what hadith did she quote?

This seems to be a normal way to bring in the Hadith topic to derail.

We wont allow.

My point is keep it equal and level with both sides. How is it that this guy was arrested right away and we have been hearing about Sharma for weeks and she has not been arrested at all.

Besides what did this guy really say that merits his arrest? What Sharma said insinuated that our Prophet was married to a child, which is not true. There is direct historic tradition available that discusses this. But a politician, of all people, bringing this up obviously means she is trying to stoke anti muslim sentiment. But I will still support her freedom and she can say what she wants, as long as she is not inciting violence against someone or some people.
With that being said, you really have to do a better job in backing your case by telling us how this guy insulted Hindus. I, so far, have seen zero evidence of that.

He wasn't arrested right away. He was served notice asked to join investigation and questioning, he refused to cooperate. He has been facing cases for some time.

I don't support her insulting the prophet(pbuh). Acts of prophets or avatars are not for the ordinary human being to judge. She should have known this. She should be punished.

He wasn't arrested right away. He was served notice asked to join investigation and questioning, he refused to cooperate. He has been facing cases for some time.

I don't support her insulting the prophet(pbuh). Acts of prophets or avatars are not for the ordinary human being to judge. She should have known this. She should be punished.

It does not seem like he was arrested for other cases here, its quite clear what grounds were used to arrest him and those dont seem to be a solid ground because this is being reported by Media all over the WORLD including CNN.

So one more time, what happened?

Even in Nupur Sharmas case, its jot about quoting Hadith but the way she said in a mocking manner

This Zubair guy took it to extreme level
He is not drawing comparisons between abrahamic religions but just mocking Indian gods. Lord Shiva’s Shivaling is a very sacred thing to religious people. He has drawn stupid comparisons in a very mocking manner. And I am not even talking about his tweets on Lord Hanuman which are even worse.

I have read posts on how to respectfully address Allah PBUH (SWT) here on this forum. Which is fair to keep the rules. But is it not the same for every religion??

Even in Nupur Sharmas case, its jot about quoting Hadith but the way she said in a mocking manner

He is not drawing comparisons between abrahamic religions but just mocking Indian gods. Lord Shiva’s Shivaling is a very sacred thing to religious people. He has drawn stupid comparisons in a very mocking manner. And I am not even talking about his tweets on Lord Hanuman which are even worse.

I have read posts on how to respectfully address Allah PBUH (SWT) here on this forum. Which is fair to keep the rules. But is it not the same for every religion??

I am not being facetious, but I really am struggling to find these alleged transgressions. Does he have a twitter where he said those things? If he wrote in devanagri handscript, of course I cannot read it so I wouldnt know.

Trust me, I would not personally care one bit if you use PBUH with our prophet's name or not or use SWT with God's name or not. Those are trivial and pointless arguments.

But its quite possible this forum has those rules and its a forum run by a private organization or person so they can have whatever rules they want. You cannot compare the situation with this guy who is arrested over some alleged insults with the laws of this forum. Thats comparing apples and oranges and a ridiculous comparison.

Non Muslims are never expected to use the blessings we do when Prophet Muhammed PBUH or God is mentioned.

It does not seem like he was arrested for other cases here, its quite clear what grounds were used to arrest him and those dont seem to be a solid ground because this is being reported by Media all over the WORLD including CNN.

So one more time, what happened?

In India CNN doesn't decide who is guilty who is not. The courts will decide if he is guilty or not. Right now he is in remand.

The remand application says when Zubair was asked to bring his phone, he brought the phone after formatting it. Refused to handover his laptop. Refused to cooperate.

In India CNN doesn't decide who is guilty who is not. The courts will decide if he is guilty or not. Right now he is in remand.

The remand application says when Zubair was asked to bring his phone, he brought the phone after formatting it. Refused to handover his laptop. Refused to cooperate.

CNN does report on the infringement of civil rights and you dont need much to show its taking place. Every time such an arrest is made, the onus is always on the government. You can drive yourself hoarse crying about "In India ... blah lah blah" but the truth is we all live in one world where such transgressions have an effect. Nupur Sharma said something insulting to our Prophet and immediately the government went into damage control mode.

You dont want civil rights groups breathing down your neck, this one is also all over the world media.

Besides, if he committed a grievous crime, on social media, why do you need his devices to prove it? It can easily be proven he wrote what he wrote and if its truly insulting to HINDUS he should be punished according to the laws of "insulting Hindu dieties" transcribed wherever. Indian courts did seem to quickly judge whether hijab is mandatory in Islam or not, so I am hoping to see them pass a similarly educated verdict on Hindu blasphemy laws as well.

CNN does report on the infringement of civil rights and you dont need much to show its taking place. Every time such an arrest is made, the onus is always on the government. You can drive yourself hoarse crying about "In India ... blah lah blah" but the truth is we all live in one world where such transgressions have an effect. Nupur Sharma said something insulting to our Prophet and immediately the government went into damage control mode.

You dont want civil rights groups breathing down your neck, this one is also all over the world media.

Besides, if he committed a grievous crime, on social media, why do you need his devices to prove it? It can easily be proven he wrote what he wrote and if its truly insulting to HINDUS he should be punished according to the laws of "insulting Hindu dieties" transcribed wherever. Indian courts did seem to quickly judge whether hijab is mandatory in Islam or not, so I am hoping to see them pass a similarly educated verdict on Hindu blasphemy laws as well.

Who decides if rights have been infringed or the person is actually guilty? CNN?

Atleast in my country foreign media organisations don't decide that. Courts do.

Nupur Sharma broke Indian laws, if she hadn't no amount of any outrage would do anything.

India has thrown out the likes of Amnesty out of India, no one here is scared of NGOs.

Devices are needed for further investigations. If he had nothing to hide, why did he format his phone? Why refused to cooperate?

There is one law in India and that applies for insult of all religions.

Hijab issue was a constitutional matter and hence was settled soon. This is a criminal matter and trial would start only after investigation.

I like Zubair, he was doing a fine job as a critic and busting myths and false narratives all over. They were gunning for him even before his old posts went viral.

All it did was give the establishment an opportunity. Tbh if he had made those posts in the past he should have really stayed away from getting so entangled in this controversy. Hurting religious beliefs is a slippery slope in this country

Let's see how it goes, may slap with him with other "conspiracies" against the state. But then again he is a lot more famous than an average journalist so media scrutiny, especially from the West, will be a lot more intense. Maybe just release him with just a rap on his knuckles... Interesting nevertheless.

so far not one post on here has been covincing enough that this guy insulted hinduism or hindu dieties. Not one!

Now BBC is giving this guy coverage as well: They are alleging this is payback for being a Modi critic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-61956108

Police in India have arrested the co-founder of a fact-checking website who has been a vocal critic of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government.

Mohammed Zubair of AltNews has been accused of insulting Hindu religious beliefs on Twitter, a network of media organisations said.

Opposition leaders and journalists have condemned the arrest.

They said it was a clear attempt by the Hindu-nationalist government to clamp down on those who expose hate speech.

Mr Zubair recently highlighted comments by a spokesperson of the governing Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) allegedly insulting the Prophet Muhammad during a television debate. His tweet was widely shared and led to several Muslim countries lodging strong protests with India.

In recent weeks, Hindu nationalists have drawn attention to past comments made by Mr Zubair and demanded that he be prosecuted for hurting their religious feelings.

Presentational grey line
Who is Mohammad Zubair?
A prominent Indian journalist, Mohammad Zubair started the fact-checking website AltNews with former engineer Pratik Sinha in 2017.

The website quickly rose to prominence for its diligent work in combating misinformation and fake news in the country.

Fact checks from AltNews are frequently shared by Mr Zubair on Twitter where he has more than half a million followers.

He monitors hate speech and his Twitter posts on comments made by supporters of the BJP have invited intense backlash.

Last week, he posted an e-mail from the microblogging site telling him that his tweet criticising Islamophobic comments by the leader of a Hindu group was being "withheld" - which means it's no longer visible in India - on request from the law enforcement authorities. The letter added that this was "in order to comply with Twitter's obligations under India's local laws".

He later received another e-mail saying that two of his other tweets - about provocative comments made by a Hindu priest threatening to kidnap and rape Muslim women - were also being "withheld in India" under the country's IT laws.

Presentational grey line
On Monday, Mr Zubair was detained over a complaint from a Twitter account that said he insulted Hindus in a 2018 post commenting on the renaming of a hotel after the Hindu monkey god Hanuman, the ANI news agency reported, citing senior Delhi police officials.

A statement by the police later said that the tweet had been amplified by Mr Zubair's Twitter followers and "created a series of debates/hate mongering".

Police claim their investigation found Mr Zubair's conduct "questionable" which "warranted his custodial interrogation".

Pratik Sinha, also a co-founder of AltNews, who accompanied him to the police, said neither he nor Mr Zubair's lawyers were provided with a copy of the complaint on which the arrest was made.

They were also initially not told where he was being taken after being detained.

Mr Zubair was produced before a local magistrate late on Monday night who granted the police one day's custody. Following this, he was allowed to meet his lawyer. A court on Tuesday remanded him in custody for a further four days.

Journalists hold placards as they attend a protest against the communication blockade by Indian government in Srinagar on October 03, 2019

Critics have accused Mr Modi's government of clamping down on free speech
Many journalists and activists have been demanding his immediate release.

"Zubair who routinely busted fake news, exposed the hate machinery in India has just been arrested," said Rana Ayyub, a Muslim journalist. "The country is punishing those who reported, documented the decline."

Opposition Congress party leader Rahul Gandhi tweeted: "Every person exposing BJP's hate, bigotry and lies is a threat to them. Arresting one voice of truth will only give rise to a thousand more."

Presentational grey line
What did Zubair tweet?
Police said at the centre of the arrest was a 2018 tweet by Mr Zubair in which he had shared a photo of a hotel signboard, modified from 'Honeymoon Hotel' to 'Hanuman Hotel'.

The photo was actually a screengrab from a 1983 Bollywood comedy by acclaimed director Hrishikesh Mukherjee.

But a Twitter account called Hanuman Bhakt, meaning worshipper of the monkey god Hanuman, recently shared the four-year-old tweet and called it a "direct insult" to Hindus.

The account also tagged the Delhi police, asking them to take "immediate action" against Mr Zubair.

The anonymous account, created last October, had just one follower until Tuesday morning. It has since risen rapidly to cross 1,500 followers.

He never insulted Hanuman, he posted a picture of the hotel which had been modified to say Hanuman Hotel, a screen grab from a movie. He never invented it, nor was he the first one to share it, But this is blowback for being critical of Modi and exposing his news as fake. It is quote clear the draconian INdian mafia style government is using vindictive methods to persecute this guy. The convinced someone to file a complaint using his tweet from 2018 now because this will take the attention away from the Nupur Sharma case.

Its all vindictive politics with diversionary tactics, try to take the attention away from real problems. LOL

They did not even share details of the charges being filed againsst him. They just want some public spotlight on it, and they will eventually let him go because they have nothing on him. But by then the job will be done. The attention will be away from the N Sharma comments. and Hindu extremists will be out burning Muslims and their properties for a few days.

Excellent job by the biggest democracy of the world!

The innocent Muslim journalist caused a riot, a beheading and rape and death threats to a women with a half-baked truth where only one side of an offensive statement was shown.

What do you expect, a gallantry award?

Obviously he is not being lynched or beheaded. He will be let off with a slap on the wrist.

Whatever happened to all those missing persons in Balochistan which is actually a big humanitarian crisis but obviously it’s “boring” to discuss on a rainy afternoon in Bradford.

The innocent Muslim journalist caused a riot, a beheading and rape and death threats to a women with a half-baked truth where only one side of an offensive statement was shown.

What do you expect, a gallantry award?

Obviously he is not being lynched or beheaded. He will be let off with a slap on the wrist.

Whatever happened to all those missing persons in Balochistan which is actually a big humanitarian crisis but obviously it’s “boring” to discuss on a rainy afternoon in Bradford.

You mean the people who were probably recruited by the Indian spy who is also rotting in prison there?

Nice way to divert attention from the topic at hand again.. But not good enough.

P.S: Not all posters here are from the UK. Another sign of ignorance. God help you lot!

You mean the people who were probably recruited by the Indian spy who is also rotting in prison there?

Nice way to divert attention from the topic at hand again.. But not good enough.

P.S: Not all posters here are from the UK. Another sign of ignorance. God help you lot!

So they were spies who were recruited so they just vanished in thin air without a trial but you want to do all kinds of gymnastics when what this Zubair guy has been doing in front of everyone.

If people stormed into alt news office a la Sialkot I don’t think anyone would justify that. In fact we would ask Modi to quit if that’s what happening.

A couple of days of jail and some bail expenses is a fair deal. And 100% he will be back to his ways after release. Happens all the time.

I think he is probably a relative. My condolences.

So they were spies who were recruited so they just vanished in thin air without a trial but you want to do all kinds of gymnastics when what this Zubair guy has been doing in front of everyone.

If people stormed into alt news office a la Sialkot I don’t think anyone would justify that. In fact we would ask Modi to quit if that’s what happening.

A couple of days of jail and some bail expenses is a fair deal. And 100% he will be back to his ways after release. Happens all the time.

I think he is probably a relative. My condolences.

I think its quite clear from this post who is doing the gymnastics. Can we stick to the topic? Everything is about comparing your inner struggles with Pakistan's. How can you expect to improve and make your country better if you just like to get into a wang measuring contest with everyone?

I How can you expect to improve and make your country better if you just like to get into a wang measuring contest with everyone?

How is that your concern lol? It’s becoming a measuring contest because of the intent behind most of these posts and the constant rhetoric.

Not sure if you think people are really that naive.

How is that your concern lol? It’s becoming a measuring contest because of the intent behind most of these posts and the constant rhetoric.

Not sure if you think people are really that naive.

whats the intent, pray tell? God forbid, its not that we have a sense of brotherhood with Muslims of India, now is it? OH NO!!!!

whats the intent, pray tell? God forbid, its not that we have a sense of brotherhood with Muslims of India, now is it? OH NO!!!!

That’s exactly where common sense kicks in because of this so called brother hood.

Just because you have some sort of emotional bonding to Indian Muslims doesn’t mean all Muslims are outstanding citizens.

This is where people need to step in and show examples that “hey look apparently there are some bad apples as well, so use some common sense”. You are interpreting that as a measuring contest because clearly the answers are not what you are looking for.

If you are one of those OBl is shaheed types and Taliban are saintly people then obviously no point reasoning

That’s exactly where common sense kicks in because of this so called brother hood.

Just because you have some sort of emotional bonding to Indian Muslims doesn’t mean all Muslims are outstanding citizens.

This is where people need to step in and show examples that “hey look apparently there are some bad apples as well, so use some common sense”. You are interpreting that as a measuring contest because clearly the answers are not what you are looking for.

If you are one of those OBl is shaheed types and Taliban are saintly people then obviously no point reasoning

Just out of interest, do you feel that these are universal and indisputable truths?

Just out of interest, do you feel that these are universal and indisputable truths?

Fair enough I am a non-Muslim. I might be biased.Do you agree with Taliban or OBL as a Muslim? Let me put that back to you.

Indians should just admit they want a Hindu version of Shariah law. I must admit I am at a loss to know why, I always thought Islamic countries were too restrictive, but seems like hindus really admire the Islamic way. I mean they could consider converting to Islam? Would solve the problem of communal strife if all were on the same page.

Fair enough I am a non-Muslim. I might be biased.Do you agree with Taliban or OBL as a Muslim? Let me put that back to you.

What I feel about it is not representative of others.

Having said that, I hated OBL for what he did and also Taliban are not my ideal but I do not agree that others are any better.

Washington Post is reporting with a damning headline:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/06/28/mohammed-zubair-arrest-twitter-alt-news/

Indian Muslim journalist, critic of Modi, arrested over tweets
NEW DELHI — Mohammed Zubair, a Muslim Indian journalist and prominent critic of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, was arrested Monday over posts he made on Twitter, with press freedom groups swiftly condemning the charges.

Zubair, co-founder of the fact-checking site Alt News, was charged with “deliberate and malicious acts intended to outrage religious feelings” over a post he shared in 2018 that referred to the Hindu god Hanuman. He was sentenced to a four days in jail late Tuesday.

The arrest came weeks after Zubair, who has more than a half-million Twitter followers, gained international prominence by calling attention to controversial remarks about the prophet Muhammad by an official from Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party. The derogatory comments about Muhammad’s marriages by BJP spokeswoman Nupur Sharma led to widespread condemnation from the Islamic world and apologies from the Indian government.

The timing of Zubair’s arrest — and the nature of the charges — have raised suspicions that he is facing retribution at a time when the Modi government and its supporters are increasingly hitting back at critics who are active on social media. In recent years, Indian authorities have arrested opposition politicians for their tweets and pressured Twitter to remove posts by protesting farmers criticizing Modi.

In 2021, the government also asked Twitter to censor tweets from the advocacy group Freedom House, which has written negatively about the Indian government, the tech blog Entrackr and the Press Trust of India news agency reported this week, citing a new Twitter document.

Zubair said last week that he had received notice from Twitter that the Indian government had told the social media company that his account — in its entirety, rather than specific tweets — “violates the law(s) of India.”

A police investigation into Zubair’s account was spurred by a tweet earlier this month from an anonymous account calling out a post by Zubair in 2018 about the name of a hotel, according to local media. “Before 2014 : Honeymoon Hotel,” the tweet read. “After 2014 : Hanuman Hotel.”

The anonymous account — which used the name Hanuman Bhakt, an apparent reference to the Hindu god mentioned in Zubair’s post — asked the Delhi police to “kindly take action against this guy.” The linking of Hanuman, who is said to be celibate, to “Honeymoon” was a “direct insult of Hindus,” the account said in the tweet last week.

Suman Nalwa, a spokeswoman for the Delhi police, confirmed in a phone interview that the charges were based on Zubair’s Twitter posts. “He had posted some things on his Twitter handle which were demeaning to one community,” she said. “They were highly provocative, and it is assumed that he had done it deliberately.”

Steven Butler, the Asia program coordinator of the Committee to Protect Journalists, a nonprofit that advocates for press freedoms around the world, said in a statement: “The arrest of journalist Mohammad Zubair marks another low for press freedom in India, where the government has created a hostile and unsafe environment for members of the press reporting on sectarian issues. Authorities must immediately and unconditionally release Zubair, and allow him to pursue his journalistic work without further interference.”

Digipub, a group of news sites in India, also condemned the arrest, saying “it is unjustifiable that such stringent laws are being used as tools against journalists.” The Press Club of India called Modi hypocritical for signing on to a Group of Seven commitment the same day that promises to protect “freedom of thought, conscience, religion or belief” and promote “inter-faith dialogue.”

Modi has been widely criticized for taking a Hindu-nationalist approach to managing India’s religious tensions and for his treatment of the country’s minority Muslim population. In 2002, when he was chief minister of the state of Gujarat, he was accused of inaction after communal violence resulted in the brutal killings of 1,000 to 2,000 Muslims.

Communal clashes have escalated across India in recent months, and tensions over Sharma’s remarks about the prophet have had deadly consequences. On Tuesday, two men in the state of Rajasthan hacked to death a tailor who had voiced support for the BJP spokeswoman on social media. The killing, which was recorded by the two perpetrators, set off mass protests in the western city of Udaipur, where police cut internet service to contain unrest.

Zubair has used social media in the past to expose hate speech against Muslims and was previously reprimanded by police for a tweet calling out right-wing Hindu activists, according to Digipub.

Pratik Sinha, who co-founded Alt News with Zubair, said his colleague was detained despite having received previous protection from the High Court, and that neither he nor Zubair was given proper notice of his arrest “despite repeated requests.”

Pietsch reported from Seoul. Amy Cheng contributed to this report.

Seems a targeted arrest against someone who is anti-Modi.

Desperation of RSS after their leading lady caused a stir in the Muslim world so had to back down and dump her. Now they want their hardline followers to see they will punish journalists to keep them happy.

A cuckoo nutter party with similar followers.

The same Taliban which your extremist government are cuddling up to, I guess theirs similarities in ideologies.

Fact-checker Mohammed Zubair was arrested by the Delhi Police on Monday after an anonymous Twitter user flagged one of his tweets. The anonymous Twitter handle, [MENTION=29037]balaji[/MENTION]kijaiin', does on exist on the microblogging platform.
"We are trying to identify and trace the user of the Twitter account to ascertain the reason behind him or her deleting the account. However, we suspect that the person must be scared after the matter came to the limelight," a source in the Delhi police told PTI.

Mohammed Zubair, the co-founder of the fact-checking website Alt News, was arrested by the Delhi Police on Monday He has been charged with allegedly hurting religious sentiments and promoting enmity. He has been sent to police custody for four days.

According to the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zubair was arrested in connection with one of his tweets that had a questionable image with the purpose of deliberately insulting the god of a particular religion.

Mr Zubair's arrest came just days after he flagged a video of since-suspended BJP leader Nupur Sharma's remarks against Prophet Mohammed on a TV show. He had been called for questioning in a 2020 case, in which the Delhi High Court had already granted him protection against arrest.

The Twitter user [MENTION=29037]balaji[/MENTION]kijaiiin' had shared a 2018 tweet of Zubair which said 'Before 2014: Honeymoon Hotel. After 2014: Hanuman Hotel' along with a picture of a signboard of a hotel named "Honeymoon Hotel" changed to "Hanuman Hotel".

According to Delhi's first information report, [MENTION=29037]balaji[/MENTION]kijaiiin tweeted: "Linking our God Hanuman ji with Honey Moon is direct insult of Hindus because he is brahmchari (bachelor). Kindly take action against this guy."

The number of followers of the Twitter handle, which had flagged the tweet by Zubair, went from 1 to 1,200 within a day of Delhi police filing the complaint.

NDTV

I for one don't know whats offensive about the Hanuman tweet.

Heck...half the ones cheering his arrest would have sent similar forwards as jokes back in 2000s.

Just need to find a way to arrest him.

Then decide on his crime later on.
That's the biggest travesty. Atmosphere has become so vitiated under the bigot that people have started taking offence to anything and everything.

This is still nothing. That journalist Kappan was arrested just because he dared to report on that Hathras rape and murder and apparently he is still jailed 18-odd months later.

This is what we have got under the sanghis. Unprecedented economic slump and hatred for whosoever doesn't agree with you.

Udaipur tailor's heart rending beheading episode shows the manifestation of the same mindset.

This is what that poisonous ideology has given us since '14. Sooner or later this had to happen. All the blame lies on bigot's door for actively promoting hate ever since he got in the saddle.

Look at the glee of his bhakts. As if they are saying we told you so about these Muslims.

Loss of life is loss of life whether it's Hindu's life or a Muslim's life.

I see none of these people protested that old Hindu man's killing in MP when he was beaten to death by sanghis on suspicions of him being a Muslim.

Where was the outrage then?

I read by an Indian twitter handle, with proof, that the account which complained about Zubair was owned and ran by a BJP IT cell.

Account is inactive btw

Pathetic sad bhakts

Fact-checker Mohammed Zubair was arrested by the Delhi Police on Monday after an anonymous Twitter user flagged one of his tweets. The anonymous Twitter handle, [MENTION=29037]balaji[/MENTION]kijaiin', does on exist on the microblogging platform.
"We are trying to identify and trace the user of the Twitter account to ascertain the reason behind him or her deleting the account. However, we suspect that the person must be scared after the matter came to the limelight," a source in the Delhi police told PTI.

Mohammed Zubair, the co-founder of the fact-checking website Alt News, was arrested by the Delhi Police on Monday He has been charged with allegedly hurting religious sentiments and promoting enmity. He has been sent to police custody for four days.

According to the Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zubair was arrested in connection with one of his tweets that had a questionable image with the purpose of deliberately insulting the god of a particular religion.

Mr Zubair's arrest came just days after he flagged a video of since-suspended BJP leader Nupur Sharma's remarks against Prophet Mohammed on a TV show. He had been called for questioning in a 2020 case, in which the Delhi High Court had already granted him protection against arrest.

The Twitter user [MENTION=29037]balaji[/MENTION]kijaiiin' had shared a 2018 tweet of Zubair which said 'Before 2014: Honeymoon Hotel. After 2014: Hanuman Hotel' along with a picture of a signboard of a hotel named "Honeymoon Hotel" changed to "Hanuman Hotel".

According to Delhi's first information report, [MENTION=29037]balaji[/MENTION]kijaiiin tweeted: "Linking our God Hanuman ji with Honey Moon is direct insult of Hindus because he is brahmchari (bachelor). Kindly take action against this guy."

The number of followers of the Twitter handle, which had flagged the tweet by Zubair, went from 1 to 1,200 within a day of Delhi police filing the complaint.

NDTV

For those who havent seen this.

I read by an Indian twitter handle, with proof, that the account which complained about Zubair was owned and ran by a BJP IT cell.

Account is inactive btw

Pathetic sad bhakts

No surprise. We have a rabid BJP hindutva acolyte in the other thread about the murder of the tailor claiming that TRUE SECULARISM is what will make India great. They don't even see the irony.

No surprise. We have a rabid BJP hindutva acolyte in the other thread about the murder of the tailor claiming that TRUE SECULARISM is what will make India great. They don't even see the irony.

As you can see, not much participation here, which is expected. They know this guys arrest is indefensible.

As you can see, not much participation here, which is expected. They know this guys arrest is indefensible.

Actually if they would just say openly that they want a Hindu Rashtra, then lay out the terms under which the Hindu faith would be protected with historical reference, then no one could object. It is the hiding behind fake secularism which is causing anger and confusion across the country.

Actually if they would just say openly that they want a Hindu Rashtra, then lay out the terms under which the Hindu faith would be protected with historical reference, then no one could object. It is the hiding behind fake secularism which is causing anger and confusion across the country.

Hence the problem. We are expected to condemn any actions by Islamic extremists in their country, which most of us do, but its somehow unfair of us to question the hindu extremism brewing in their country under the guise of secularism. I actually admire the hindus who in real life are condemning the arrest of this guy, including his own partner, who is a hindu. But the Hindu PPers here are quite clear to see which camp they belong with, with a few exceptions.

Udaipur tailor's heart rending beheading episode shows the manifestation of the same mindset.

This is what that poisonous ideology has given us since '14. Sooner or later this had to happen. All the blame lies on bigot's door for actively promoting hate ever since he got in the saddle.

Look at the glee of his bhakts. As if they are saying we told you so about these Muslims.

Loss of life is loss of life whether it's Hindu's life or a Muslim's life.

I see none of these people protested that old Hindu man's killing in MP when he was beaten to death by sanghis on suspicions of him being a Muslim.

Where was the outrage then?

What about the ideology to pander to minority extremists since 1947?

You are only looking at the past 7 years. I am looking at it since 1947. Looks like you do not count anything before 2014.

Account is inactive btw

Pathetic sad bhakts

Probably by Barkha Dutt the Congress Stooge.

What about the ideology to pander to minority extremists since 1947?

You are only looking at the past 7 years. I am looking at it since 1947. Looks like you do not count anything before 2014.
Don't blame me. Feku and his dear bhakts don't believe that India used to exist pre 2014. Everything in India has been created by the feku.

Even Vajpayee (a sanghi himself) doesn't have any role in building India as per these gullible creatures.

So just because there were attempts of appeasing minorities by earlier governments, it's justified for present day Hitler in his latest avatar to completely subjugate Muslims?

What's the difference between the two then? If anything, the way this despotic regime has systematically worked towards its goal of getting rid of minorities, all of India's past 'secular' governments appear saintly.

No one, absolutely no one has ever been this vindictive towards 1 particular religion as the bigot is for over 8 years now.

Last edited:
Back