India's National Anthem written by Pakistani Dr. Allama Iqbal

Mian Hassan

First Class Star
Runs
India's National Song written by Pakistani Dr. Allama Iqbal

He attended the meetings of Anjuman Himayat-I-Islam regularly at Lahore. The epoch making poems, Shikwa and Jawab-e-Shikwa, which he read out in the annual convention of it one year after another, sparkled with the glow of his genius and made him immensely popular. They became the national songs of Millet.Iqbal’s other poems Tarana-e-Hind (The Indian anthem) and Tarana-e-Milli (the Muslim Anthem) also became very popular among masses and used to be sung as symbols of National or Muslim identity at public meetings.The Balkan wars and the Battle of Tripoli, in 1910, shook Iqbal powerfully and inflicted a deep wound upon his heart. In his mood of anger and frustration, he wrote a number of stirring poems, which together with portraying the anguish of Muslims were severely critical of the West.
www.allamaiqbal.com

"Saare Jahan Se Achcha"

Indians should be thankfull 2 this guys its a good song you know

Last edited:
I believe it was the nantional song (Sare Jahan se accha) which was written by Iqbal. A truly amazing song. India's national anthem (Jana Gana Mana) was written by Rabindranath Tagore

He was Indian then or whatever the subcontinent region was called. But if this refers to "Saare Jahan Se Achcha", it is not the official Indian National Anthem.

poisonjet said:
is this related to cricket
It will be soon. Just wait. there will be mention of patriotisim and thenof some players. This is how great novels start

12thMan said:
It will be soon. Just wait. there will be mention of patriotisim and thenof some players. This is how great novels start

and how bad novels end im afraid.... :)))

someone has some knowledge to tell me about

Hindustan, Baharat, India

the names of India for example the time period they were used and if they are all still (surely I am asking about Hindustan from above list) used are they by regions. And if some are new (like if came in last 100 years) then when they came. If I miss other popular names please add

Last edited:
Bharat is the hindi name for India. Likely origin is the name of an ancient king. Hindustan is the urdu name. India come from the Indus river and is the english name. All 3 names are still used

Thanks Indiafan.

Just to make something clear for me, Baharat is not a replacement for Hindustan. Hindustan might be looked like region ruled by Hindus so to make it more inclusive use Baharat. A good move if that is the case. I am guessing Hindustan is probably used more by older people and not something country promotes (or maybe likes). Or let's say something that was okay pre-partition but doesn't fit in now. One way to judge will be school books, politicians, TV and movies. Not many here call India Hindustan but call it India and I think on Pakistan news channels it is India or Baharat (not sure)

Last edited:
India and Hindustan both come form Sanskrit root word Sindhu (Indus), S changing to H in Persian and to I in western languages.

I am not sure what the political implications of Hindustan Vs Bharat are but Hindustan is used in so many other contexts (such as Hindustani music) that it won't be easy to remove it from common usage.

thank you mottay mou walay or the artist formally known as moumotta

12thMan said:
thank you mottay mou walay or the artist formally known as moumotta

Strangely I do have a swollen mouth and a painful tooth ache at the moment. :(

12thMan said:
Thanks Indiafan.

Just to make something clear for me, Baharat is not a replacement for Hindustan. Hindustan might be looked like region ruled by Hindus so to make it more inclusive use Baharat. A good move if that is the case. I am guessing Hindustan is probably used more by older people and not something country promotes (or maybe likes). Or let's say something that was okay pre-partition but doesn't fit in now. One way to judge will be school books, politicians, TV and movies. Not many here call India Hindustan but call it India and I think on Pakistan news channels it is India or Baharat (not sure)

When the term Hindustan was coined, hindus merely meant people living on the Indian subcontinent. The term hindu was never meant to denote any religion. It just so happened that these people were following a certain set of beliefs thus the religion got its name. Nothing religious about the name. I think even officially its Bharat and not Hindustan.

Last edited:
well the first qumi tarana of pakistan was also written by a pakistani hindu poet Jagannath Azad and quaid azam specially asked him to write but then later hafez jalandhris pak sar zameen was chosed as national anthem i think under liaqat ali khan..

That popular nationalist narration was written in 1904, a year before he left for Europe. When he came back from Europe in 1908, Iqbal was a changed man, disillusioned with modern nationalism, which he observed from close quarters and came to see as divisive and the cause of many problems in Europe. From 1908 onwards, it was not Indian nationalist poems that he wrote, but those extolling the virtues of Islam as a form universal solidarity. Whilst not rejecting the idea of love of one's 'homeland', he was disenchanted by the artificial divisions imposed by nationalism, which reduced 'human' outlooks to purely 'national' and racial ones. But most of all he severely castigated modern nationalism for separating religion and the state, which for him was an anathema to Islam.

In the 1930s, Iqbal, faced by the threat of what he saw as homogenising claims of Indian nationalism and the unitary state, which he felt left little space for a Muslim identity, proclaimed the right of a “communal entity” to “retain its private individuality.” As such in the 1930s Iqbal would become a proponent of a separate Muslim homeland and as such provided much of the intellectual justification for the creation of Pakistan.

nikred said:
When the term Hindustan was coined, hindus merely meant people living on the Indian subcontinent. The term hindu was never meant to denote any religion. It just so happened that these people were following a certain set of beliefs thus the religion got its name. Nothing religious about the name. I think even officially its Bharat and not Hindustan.

Hindu, Hindi and Hindustan are arabic terms given by Persia. So when Iqbal says 'Hindi hai hum watan hai Hindustan hamaara', he is just referring to the people residing by the river Indus. In fact a lot of present day language is borrowed from Arabic/Persian.

In Egypt, I was amazed to know that a cat is called 'Kutta'. It certainly clarifies that a lot of language exchange used to happen in the past along with some 'Chinese whispers'.

To this point of India's names, I dont quite identify with this name "India" It sounds English obviously. We should have used a more native word for official purpose. I have to introduce my nationality quite often in USA since 6 years now and "India" just doesnt sound native.

Bharat - as an Aryan leader - is mentioned in the Vedas, with the name deriving from the goddess of goodness. In the Rigveda Bharat referred to an Aryan victory in the battle of 10 kings (in present day Pakistani territory) where the Bharatas tribe prevailed.

It can be a controversial term as historically it makes a claim on various territories outside India, including Pakistan.

India as a term may be the Anglicised version of Indica, a Greek term that gained prominence when Alexander the Great conquered the Indus Valley.

The Archaemenid Persians on the other hand seemed to use the term Hind, in reference to the Indus. The Arabs applied the term Al-Hind. Hind thus retained geographic rather than religious connotations for a considerable period.

Back