IPL owners to be allowed to rename Hundred franchises after their Indian teams

IPL owners to be allowed to rename Hundred franchises after their Indian teams

View attachment 145748
This is good news for England and The Hundred. More money, following, brand deals and high quality players will follow.

Eventually I see the IPL or their franchises take over the year with their league. We either may see one single league happening in a single or multiple countries all around the year. Or there might be the same players and franchises competing against one another in one big tournament with their legs being played around the world.

The sums quoted are silly for these franchises. The market is small and thei interest is on par with Rugby League

I don't like the renaming stuff. After US, South Africa, Abu Dhabi we might see CSK, MI or KKR stuff here. This looks so boring. Even Real Madrid is a bigger brand but they don't do such stuff.

Countries are stupid to allow IPL owners to take over their leagues. Very shortsighted.

It may get to a point where most major leagues will be owned by Indians. We may see multiple CSK teams, multiple MI teams etc. Where's the fun in that?

As long as the BCCI doesn't send Indian players to play in overseas franchise leagues, none of these gimmicks will work.

Indian audience simply wont watch.

These leagues are not in India.

The Hundred is in England. Why change the names to sound like IPL names? That doesn't seem logical.
They are hoping that the Indian market will watch these leagues and it will make them more money.

Cricket is starting to become a joke. No wonder this sport isnt part of Olympics. Whats next? Soon we will have 200, 300, etc?

Super Kings, Super Giants, Royal Challengers, some of these IPL team names are laughably bad.

And Yet, none are a patch on MI Cape Town.. Probably the worst name of a franchise across sports. They are spreading these trash names wherever they go

The one thing India has going for its country... its people lack taste and have this insatiable desire to watch anything that is Indian
It's quite a big thing one tbh. They dont have as much apathy as we ( Pakistanis) do. They spend money, build enterprises and move forward because of their sense of patriotism. They want to support their country. It deserves a bit of respect imo.

I don't like it because it has ruined cricket for me but I don't blame the Indians for it. Why aren't English fans causing some uproar? Or South Africans? It's because they don't ( or didn't in the past) fight for cricket. Now it is up for grabs, and the Indians are the only ones willing to pay for it.

I don't like the renaming stuff. After US, South Africa, Abu Dhabi we might see CSK, MI or KKR stuff here. This looks so boring. Even Real Madrid is a bigger brand but they don't do such stuff.

Why do IPL owners feel the need to change names? I don't understand.

Very cringy.
Just because Real Madrid did not do it, does not mean the IPL owners should not either. It's their money, their prerogative.

It's a free market. They are allowed to what they want with their $$$$. These are some very sharp and shrewd people that have a track record of making money. They seem to have some strategy in buying up teams in these leagues. Though I am not sure what that strategy is.

But hey, it's their money, they get to do whatever they want. More power to them.

Countries are stupid to allow IPL owners to take over their leagues. Very shortsighted.

It may get to a point where most major leagues will be owned by Indians. We may see multiple CSK teams, multiple MI teams etc. Where's the fun in that?
Just like the ICC and boards, quite happy to take $$$ as they don't have to work for it.

As long as the BCCI doesn't send Indian players to play in overseas franchise leagues, none of these gimmicks will work.

Indian audience simply wont watch.
BCCI will never allow Indian players to play outside the IPL. Only Indian players allowed will be the ones no longer playing in the IPL. The first and only example being Dinesh Karthik.

They are hoping that the Indian market will watch these leagues and it will make them more money.
I guess the jury is out on whether the Indian audience will watch or not.

My guess is that the strategy of IPL owners is to contract many players and control their movements. Make sure they are in every which way beneficial to IPL teams.

Of course, making a bit of $$$ along the way in these leagues does not hurt. But the main show is the IPL and the owners get to control the contracted players and strategize things so as to make it optimal for the IPL franchise.

It's quite a big thing one tbh. They dont have as much apathy as we ( Pakistanis) do. They spend money, build enterprises and move forward because of their sense of patriotism. They want to support their country. It deserves a bit of respect imo.

I don't like it because it has ruined cricket for me but I don't blame the Indians for it. Why aren't English fans causing some uproar? Or South Africans? It's because they don't ( or didn't in the past) fight for cricket. Now it is up for grabs, and the Indians are the only ones willing to pay for it.
English fans aren’t causing “uproar” because they don’t care about the Hundred.
As far as true English cricket fans are concerned it is a noisy irrelevancy.
Example — The Hundred eliminator today at the Oval was not sold out, yet the first three days of the Test Match vs Sri Lanka in one month are virtually sold out.

If the Indians want to waste their money on their dud like The Hundred, more fool them.

The one thing India has going for its country... its people lack taste and have this insatiable desire to watch anything that is Indian
Taste is subjective and has everything to do with the culture.

Bharatnatyam is taste as is break dancing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that’s the end of Pakistani players in Hundred too now I guess…

Now Babar and Rizwan fans can claim they didn’t get picked for Hundred because Indian owners won’t buy them
What excuse Imad Wasim fans are gonna make if you predict that as well???

What excuse Imad Wasim fans are gonna make if you predict that as well???
They will probably find a way to include Imad and Amir. The guys are worth their salt in T20, unlike the frauds

Counties are desperate for a big fat cash infusion and nothing better than IPL money, Indian private sector investment. Vast majority of the English counties are operating in losses, break even or minor profits.

Counties are desperate for a big fat cash infusion and nothing better than IPL money, Indian private sector investment. Vast majority of the English counties are operating in losses, break even or minor profits.
This is incorrect.
The vast majority of the proceeds of the sale of the franchises (be it to private equity or Indian franchises) will go to the ECB, not the counties.
The counties will receive something, but this is the ECB’s show which is why the counties hate The Hundred and wanted the Vitality Blast prioritised.

These leagues are not in India.

The Hundred is in England. Why change the names to sound like IPL names? That doesn't seem logical.

What a silly logic. What has host country got to do anything with it? It is a franchise league where teams are owned by private owners. They have all the right to name the team as per their brand. When Infosys or TATA (for example) opens a company in London, do they change their name? Why they named Manchester City arena as Etihad Stadium?

Lets be honest, you are simply jealous that Indian owners marking their authority in cricket. Your issue is with Indians and not so much with the name. No one is stopping a businessman from Dhaka to buy a team in Hundreds and name it as per their choice like Mushy's Maniacs or Shakib's Sultans or Tamims Tigers etc.

:ashwin

Are you people not tired of crying about Bharat’s influence in cricket. Please get a life. There is no charity going on here that Bharatiya franchises will play astronomical prices for failing leagues without any branding flex.

I miss the good old days when not everything revolved around money. Players were playing because they loved cricket.

After BCCI became powerful, things became excessively commercialized. They are honestly overdoing certain things which is making cricket unappealing.

One of the reasons why BCCI became powerful was because other boards were shortsighted. Other boards chased short-term profits over self-respect and long-term vision.

Some Pakistanis BRIT pakistanis and Bangladeshis will only complain because this involves Indians.

These Indians are putting in millions of dollars of their hard earned money into cricket, which no one else is.

Convince some Brit or pakistani or Bangladeshi to put their money where their mouth is.

Else this is useless whining. Reeks of jealousy and hatred.

Some Pakistanis BRIT pakistanis and Bangladeshis will only complain because this involves Indians.

These Indians are putting in millions of dollars of their hard earned money into cricket, which no one else is.

Convince some Brit or pakistani or Bangladeshi to put their money where their mouth is.

Else this is useless whining. Reeks of jealousy and hatred.
Jealousy? NO
Hatred? Quiet possibly..

This is incorrect.
The vast majority of the proceeds of the sale of the franchises (be it to private equity or Indian franchises) will go to the ECB, not the counties.
The counties will receive something, but this is the ECB’s show which is why the counties hate The Hundred and wanted the Vitality Blast prioritised.
So, essentially ECB being slowly taken over by private Indian companies. ECB is already under the thumb of BCCI as a very big chunk of their revenue is dependent on India tours and ICC "handouts" that come from $$$ generated by India.

When all is said and done, how much of ECB will be India centric?

I miss the good old days when not everything revolved around money. Players were playing because they loved cricket.

After BCCI became powerful, things became excessively commercialized. They are honestly overdoing certain things which is making cricket unappealing.

One of the reasons why BCCI became powerful was because other boards were shortsighted. Other boards chased short-term profits over self-respect and long-term vision.
I miss those days too.

But I don't blame the Indians for the mess we are in. They have just capitalized on the weakness of most cricket markets.

There you go. But one correction, the other boards ARE not WERE shortsighted. They continue to be greedy and prioritize $$$.

Look at the current twitter trends and this final isnt even in the top 50. If the ECB can manage to get money for this tripe, good job

Every generation played for money. When Kerry Packer launched its world series, most big starts joined the league ditching their national boards.

Same when ICL was launched by Subhas Chandra, most prominent players from Pak & BD joined the zee owner for money.

Most of the match fixing happened in 90s bcoz players were under payed. So much love for cricket and not money, LOL.

Cricket was always going to be commercial after the advent of T20 cricket. If you were thinking that in 2024, cricket will still be a bilateral international sport of test matches and 50 overs cricket only, then you are deluding yourself. The world has moved on....if it was not BCCI, some other board would have kick started the franchise cricket.

Again, going back to my original point, your issue is not with T20 or league cricket, your issue is that Indians & their cricket board pioneered it. It is your personal jealousy which is clouding your judgement. Had it been pioneered by a white board like ECB or ACB, you will be lapping into it as sub servient fan.

#FACTS

Look at the current twitter trends and this final isnt even in the top 50. If the ECB can manage to get money for this tripe, good job
Exactly
An average tournament and if a load of Indian multimillionaires/billionaires are prepared to throw their money at it, why should the ECB care.
They will gain a lot of cash and move on.

It is a poor tournament. I tuned in for sometime as it was sunday and finals but it was so boring that I switched off after few overs. The fixture is so so confusing, concept of 5 balls (per over?), super 5 in case of a drawn game etc etc. Cant relate to it at all. I understand ECB wanted to be different but this is a flop experiment. I prefer Vitality Blast anyday over this Hundreds tournament.

It is a poor tournament. I tuned in for sometime as it was sunday and finals but it was so boring that I switched off after few overs. The fixture is so so confusing, concept of 5 balls (per over?), super 5 in case of a drawn game etc etc. Cant relate to it at all. I understand ECB wanted to be different but this is a flop experiment. I prefer Vitality Blast anyday over this Hundreds tournament.
And yet somehow they will sell it to some rich people or private equity.
As the saying goes, if someone does buy a Hundred franchise, I have a bridge to sell them….

As the saying goes, if someone does buy a Hundred franchise, I have a bridge to sell them….
Does the ECB currently fully own all Hundred franchises?

The fact is that bar the desis and the private school educated cohort, cricket is dying. Bizarrely England sacrificed the timing of the Ashes( which has a good following amongst the casual Sports fans) to play this tripe.

Exactly
An average tournament and if a load of Indian multimillionaires/billionaires are prepared to throw their money at it, why should the ECB care.
They will gain a lot of cash and move on.
In India teams aren't supported as much as the star players( just my reading) but in England none of the players are known by anyone. So Joe Root could walk through Leeds and the odd person might recognise him but most will have no idea, and then on top, playing for franchises that have no history or following means no one cares for who wins or loses, or which player does well or poorly.

I think the intention is to cancel the 100 format. Make it t20 (will still be called the 100) and replace the blast.

I guess the jury is out on whether the Indian audience will watch or not.

My guess is that the strategy of IPL owners is to contract many players and control their movements. Make sure they are in every which way beneficial to IPL teams.

Of course, making a bit of $$$ along the way in these leagues does not hurt. But the main show is the IPL and the owners get to control the contracted players and strategize things so as to make it optimal for the IPL franchise.
I don't think this strategy will make money. The IPL is big but is it really big enough to support multiple loss making leagues?

You are also severely diminishing the value of these leagues to locals of that country if they just become experimentation sessions for the IPL.

Ultimately India will have to release the grip on its players. These millionaires and billionaires will demand it. Maybe not the tier one players but more junior non centrally contracted or platinum IPL players will be allowed to play overseas leagues ( I think).

Top quality post, and i agree with this.

Cricket as a sports market was always undervalued, but the indian population and good business sense of BCCI (although unethical) has done wonders.

The only issue i have with bcci is its discriminating policies and racism

IPL owners will ultimately have multiple teams across all major leagues and have similar set of players playing for them in multiple leagues.

They will have a massive influence on players and boards and will become the second most powerful entity in cricket after BCCI.

They will not be able to control the BCCI because BCCI will always have a very powerful political backing, something corporates will not mess with.

Secondly they will not want to do anything that will upset the Indian fans.

It remains to be seen if India get all the 8 teams or if someone else from UK or other place steps in.

All the IPL teams except RR and KKR are owned by billionaires or billion dollar corporations. Entities who may not be bothered by losing a few millions as long as they get branding and advertising opportunities throughout the year via their cricket teams.

Does the ECB currently fully own all Hundred franchises?
Yes.
The purpose of the ECB setting up the Hundred was they wanted a short format competition that they owned and that they could subsequently monetarise.
They plan to sell 51% of the stake in the franchises this year, (hoping to raise £500 mill, according to The Times) — a combination of private equity and foreign franchises (Reliance with the Ambanis are obvious purchasers of the London franchise).

So, for the ECB a large cash bolus, followed by a revenue stream.
It’ll be interesting to see if the preeminent timing (mid-summer) remains once the ECB no longer control it (they control scheduling for the season).

Except London and oval teams rest won't get big bids. Hampshire is already sold.

My guess is except Birmingham, rest teams will be owned by Indian owners.

Yes those mythical "good ol days" when cricketers were so patriotic they eschewed country duty for lucrative county contracts and Kerry Packer contracts which you miss because you never watched that era anyway.

Yes those mythical "good ol days" when cricketers were so patriotic they eschewed country duty for lucrative county contracts and Kerry Packer contracts which you miss because you never watched that era anyway.
Kerry era is better than Kumar era for sure.

Because that era was ruled by England and Australia.

He hates that Cricket is ruled by India now.

I hope Mumbai Indians come up with a good name for their team, it feels really weird with their team name. like MI New York. it feels to me Mumbai Indians New York. this just feels not right. USA league cant have Mumbai in their team name. just feels weird

New York Indians would have been a better name

I don't think this strategy will make money. The IPL is big but is it really big enough to support multiple loss making leagues?

You are also severely diminishing the value of these leagues to locals of that country if they just become experimentation sessions for the IPL.

Ultimately India will have to release the grip on its players. These millionaires and billionaires will demand it. Maybe not the tier one players but more junior non centrally contracted or platinum IPL players will be allowed to play overseas leagues ( I think).
I agree. This can't be the long term strategy. The IPL has to grow - there is too much pent up demand in India and second tier cities will eventually want teams. How will there be room for all the smaller leagues and the growing IPL?

From my perspective, the Indian board will have to give a little. IPL TV rights currently sell for about $1.2Bn a year. An expanded IPL could easily go to $1.5Bn or more. Handing out about $100m of this money to the other boards could guarantee a clear cricket calendar for 5 months or so.

CA - I'm not sure but maybe about $50m annually is their profit from the BBL
ECB - Maybe $40m
CPL, SA20 - $10m each
BCB, SL - $5m each

So totally $120m.

Of course that doesn't account for all the other leagues like Dubai, US, Canada and there's the big exclusion of the PSL but even so, I think this makes more sense for a logical calendar. 7 months of international cricket, 5 months of IPL. Becomes a bit like Basketball and NBA.

This is probably the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

The Hundred may be frowned upon with the traditionalists, but it is a real hit with the kids. My kids love it so do all their friends. Over the course of generations, it will attract more interest. Let it grow organically rather than try to artificially inject cash

IPL which is controlled by BCCI and IPL franchises who are independent business ventures should not be conflated.

BCCI would not want the franchises to dilute the IPL brand name. In fact, I am surprised they have allowed the franchises to use their IPL names elsewhere.

India's paying public is not going to bother with foreign leagues with IPL names either. But nevertheless, BCCI should make sure names associated with IPL do not become an undifferentiated mess with all these foreign leagues using them.

This is probably the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

The Hundred may be frowned upon with the traditionalists, but it is a real hit with the kids. My kids love it so do all their friends. Over the course of generations, it will attract more interest. Let it grow organically rather than try to artificially inject cash
They are just plunging it into a marketing abyss

I hope Mumbai Indians come up with a good name for their team, it feels really weird with their team name. like MI New York. it feels to me Mumbai Indians New York. this just feels not right. USA league cant have Mumbai in their team name. just feels weird

New York Indians would have been a better name

Even New York Indians would be an odd name for a franchise.

It is like naming the team "California Bolivians".

the name indians due to the american history don't feel that odd

If the team doesn't have a single native American, why name it Indians? It makes no sense.

Also, this "Indians" is obviously referring to Indian people from subcontinent.

If the team doesn't have a single native American, why name it Indians? It makes no sense.

Also, this "Indians" is obviously referring to Indian people from subcontinent.
Indians is the better of the two words that make up MI, you cant have mumbai in another city team name, so Indians will have to do I guess, thats why they named it MI new york to make it less obvious, I might be a smaller demo but "MI" screams mumbai indians to me.

I understand the franchise owners though, they are making a brand and need to name the team based on the IPL team. its just mumbai owners because of their team name is in this situation. other IPL teams have no issue

Point was money was always a factor. Nobody ever played just for the "love" of cricket.
Exactly this.
Most of the fans on here are too young to remember when Mushtaq Mohammed, Majid Khan, Zaheer Abbas, Imran went “on strike” for more money. It was during Kardar’s time as head of the BCCP.

Packer followed after this and the players joined that for the same reason.

Money has always been a factor — whilst players are justifiably proud to play for their country, when money was pouring into the game they deserved and expected a proportion of that.

Point was money was always a factor. Nobody ever played just for the "love" of cricket.
Add subtle racism on top of it from counties.Ambrose in his book mentioned how Shane warne used to get more than him even when Shane warne was still not as big star as him .His county simply said warne will bowl more overs than ambrose and so they were justified in giving more to warne.

Back