IPL to have two-and-a-half month window in ICC's next FTP cycle: Jay Shah/PCB reaction

PCB refute above report:

We have not commented on the BCCI proposal of a 2 ½ months IPL window in the ICC FTP 2023-2007. Having said that, it is public knowledge that the ICC AGM is in Birmingham, but to attribute this to a PCB spokesperson in response to a BCCI statement, is inaccurate and false.

Unko koi call aaya kya?

Because it effects the cricket calendar for everyone.

It does not affect Pakistan as they are not sending players to IPL. Nothing is there which stops other countries from scheduling their own bilateral engagements during IPL. So what am I missing?

As a business deal it's a no brainer but us that love cricket and especially traditional International cricket can see the existential crisis coming its way in the very near future. For example the test yesterday will be remembered for decades but no IPL or any franchise game is remembered for more than a few weeks.

There is no doubt about it. IPL does not and should not cannibalize test cricket. It should instead kill meaningless bilateral limited over games. Especially bilateral t20is.

I do not think IPL will fold, but I do believe IPL is over hyped and the hype will come crashing down.

Need the hype now more than ever since blockbuster IPL players are no more.

I think it's unlikely this will happen. The investments in IPL are too big to let that happen. Not to mention a whole generation of young cricketers who are targeting to play in this league and become instant superstars

Ipl isn't going anywhere but will grow even more. Occupy more space and time. For good or bad. It's inevitable.

I hope PSL is learning. It’s time to up the competition and try and become the second best league after IPL. Start marketing it better, get better processes in place. Make sure that franchises are investing year round in social media campaigns. These owners want all the money but no responsibility. They’ve been given a larger cut of the pie but they don’t really spend it on the teams. I hope they keep the draft system in place. It’s unique to cricket, just maybe needs a bit of refinement.

Either way, I hope the PCB doesn’t drop the ball on this.

I think it's unlikely this will happen. The investments in IPL are too big to let that happen. Not to mention a whole generation of young cricketers who are targeting to play in this league and become instant superstars

Ipl isn't going anywhere but will grow even more. Occupy more space and time. For good or bad. It's inevitable.

Caveat : Investment in IPL is predominately from domestic Indian companies.

IPL can play 12 months a year, but when an ICC world cup in on during the same period, are you telling me IPL players will stick to their franchise teams or play cricket at an International level? If the former, then it may explain why Indian has yet to win a T20WC since inception of IPL.

IPL might be growing within India, but outside of India, it’s a flop. Hence Amazon, Facebook, SKY et al bailed on the rights.

Remember, Viacom18, backed by Mukesh Ambani, 51% owner, bought the rights, not an international owning company, but a V18, registered in India, and HQ’s in India.

Same with Star, an Indian company, part owned by Disney.

There is no international appetite for IPL.

As the saying goes, keeping it within the family.

Also, lets not forget, if IPL is extended for x number of months, are the franchises going to maintain the per weekly/contract salaries for each player, or average out across the month? Where a player is paid 1M for 6 weeks, will a player be paid 2M for 12 weeks?

The dream of IPL becoming a NBA is just that, a pipe dream, remember, there are a number of NBA players that a BILLIONAIRES thanks to NBA.

Excerpts from another Jay Shah interview:

How do you look at the IPL auction? What has been the biggest takeaway from this entire auction experience?

There are many takeaways from the Media Rights auction but if you ask me to pinpoint one, it is the surge in digital. The numbers for digital have exceeded TV rights and it tells you that the cricket-viewing experience has made a big shift. Be it sports, entertainment, or even your daily news, the personal device is now taking precedence over the traditional medium.

Did BCCI expect this big a sum in total when setting up the process?

Before we released the ITT document, we conducted several studies and surveys and roped in professional agencies to guide us further on the prevailing market structure, its mood vis-a-vis the growth of IPL and its position globally. The IPL is the biggest property in world cricket and was among the top 5 sporting leagues in the world and everybody in the Board expected a high sum that a premium property like the IPL commands.

The per match calculation is coming to Rs 118 crore, which is more than 136 per cent of last cycle's count. It is turning out to be the biggest per match value after the NFL. What do you attribute this rise to?

Many factors have contributed to the progressive growth of the IPL. The three biggest reasons are the world-class cricket on display and fan engagement. Right from the first season, the fans have rallied around the teams and have loved the concept of this unique tournament. Its popularity has grown over the years and the Board has pulled out all stops to ensure that IPL's continuity is maintained. When the BCCI conducted the 13th and 14th seasons of the IPL despite the pandemic restrictions, the stakeholders acknowledged the gigantic operation. The trust and faith of our investors grew manifold. Sporting activities across the globe had come to a halt but we still conducted two seasons in the UAE by putting in place a very secured bio-bubble. Over 30,000 RT-PCR tests were conducted, and our expenses nearly doubled but we still went ahead and conducted two seasons during a very difficult phase.

What was the reasoning behind introducing Package C which turned out to be a game-changer?

In 2008 when the IPL started, digital rights were considered an offshoot; we are now in 2022 and India has witnessed a digital revolution. The digital content platforms have changed the landscape. As I mentioned in my tweet, the potential in this sector is endless. The advent of 5G will take it to another level. We had put in considerable thought before announcing two sets of digital rights. The competition among the OTT platforms is intense and the new category meant that more bidders could still be in the race even if they missed out on Package B, which is the exclusive rights.

What is your view on having two different broadcast partners now? Is it beneficial for them, do they see it as being beneficial for the viewers?

The NFL is the biggest sporting league in the world and it has five different broadcast partners. If you remember, we were close to having multiple broadcasters during the last cycle itself before Star's consolidated bid outbid others. Having multiple broadcast partners means the game will reach a wider pool of audience and it will grow further. The BCCI has a duty to promote the game within India and globally. It surely benefits the audience as cricket-loving fans will now have more access to IPL matches.

How do you see this auction and the price paid changing the global cricket market?

The IPL has laid down a marker for other cricket leagues, for the global market and also for major sporting leagues in terms of broadcast and the future of sports. There have been instances where conglomerates have purchased the ITT to understand the structure and get an insight into broadcasting valuations. International cricket works a lot differently while the IPL is a completely different tournament.

With so much investment, do you see the possibility of expanding the IPL in the future in terms of teams?

We have just had two new teams coming into the IPL fold and both were amazing. While Gujarat Titans won the title, Lucknow Super Giants made it to the playoffs and were even No. 1 team on quite a few occasions during the league stage. It was a tight contest to get to the playoffs. Expansion of the IPL in terms of teams depends on many factors and for now, the league will continue to have 10 teams.

The deal has been praised for its transparency but was the e-auction difficult to pull off?

We were very clear that the process that we go ahead with must be fully transparent and that is why it was suggested that we take the E-Auction route. The bidders were only seeing figures on their screens. I am pleased with the way it turned out. There were difficulties initially but as I had said we had done our research before we released the ITT and were confident that this method will fetch us optimum value.

Did you expect more participation from other global media platforms such as Amazon and Google?

We had both Indian and global media companies showing interest in the ITT at the time of the auction. The game of cricket must continue to grow and we have to reach out to as many fans as possible via different platforms. Our auction process and the four packages were also designed in a way that it would allow for maximum participation from the interested parties. As the Board secretary, it isn't right for me to talk about any particular platforms and their strategy, but it is always better to have more bidders competing.

The BCCI has hinted at 84 or 94 games. Is a window possible for so many games?

We have been talking with our fellow Member Boards and the ICC about having a bigger dedicated window for the IPL. The IPL is a marquee event on the annual cricket calendar, and it is now only behind the NFL. The quality of cricket that you witness in IPL is world-class with senior international stars coming and playing with and against their Indian counterparts. Not just cricketers but the IPL has some legends of the game now turning up as coaches. It is a fantastic platform and benefits everyone as the experience one gets here is priceless. There will be an increase in the number of games as we go ahead.

Days after the BCCI bagged a whopping amount of over Rs 48,000 crore for the Indian Premier League (IPL) media rights for the 2023-27 cycle, former IPL chairman Lalit Modi, in an exclusive interview to NDTV, said the IPL will become the No. 1 sports league in the world. The former chairman of the franchise cricket league added that he believes that IPL media rights valuation will double again in the next cycle.

"It is the fan base that has done it (increase IPL's valuation). I have always said that in three or four years it will double. The price of IPL will continue to double. If you look at all my interviews from 2008, I said that IPL value will double in terms of media rights. It has gone up by 98 per cent from the last cycle. From the last cycle to this cycle is 98 per cent and I am telling you going forward in the next cycle, it will double again," Modi said.

"It will definitely overtake and I have always said IPL will become No. 1 sports league sooner than later. It all depends on the innovation for the OTT platforms, the digital rights. If we are able to do our act right in digital, you will see digital overtaking television in terms of viewership and in terms of revenue. I think the digital rights will go three-four times of television in the next five years. That is if we get our act right. Money should be spent on technology on the digital platforms. The feel has to change. New technologies will bring user experience to a better level. Right now we are not doing it. BCCI needs to put in the money."

Modi added that his prediction that IPL is recession proof has come true. "The viewership is now probably highest in the world in terms of number of people watching and the eye balls getting attracted to the game. I have always maintained, and everybody laughed at me, that IPL is recession proof. It really is coming out to be true that is recession proof as far as India is concerned. We have got newer and newer fan bases that are joining in. But we have to be careful going forward. Because the younger age group is mostly on digital, that is why the digital rights have gone up tremendously in price but their experience has not been so good in India today as far as watching it on a particular platform," Modi told NDTV.

"The Jio platform that has it, is not very user-friendly at the current moment. When you turn the phone around from horizontal to vertical, it doesn't capture that...that loses the faith in the fans."

Modi was the first chairman and commissioner of the IPL. He was instrumental in running the league from 2008 till 2010. He was also a vice-president of the BCCI from 2005–10.

The former cricket administrator added that the infrastructure needs to be improved in the Indian cricket stadiums. "The IPL has contributed Rs 100,000 crore to the BCCI in total. Rs 58,000 crore last eight years alone. Fifty per cent of the money remains with the BCCI, fifty per cent is shared with the IPL franchises. What has BCCI done to upgrade the infrastructure? You look at Kotla. They should demolish Kotla. They should most of the stadiums and build fresh. You can put world class infrastructure in, air-condition, good toilet, good hygienic eating places, good viewer experience, car parks. You need to put that money in in order to build world-class stadium," he said.

Modi left India in 2010 amid allegations of tax evasion, money-laundering and proxy ownership and is based in London since the last few years. The BCCI has suspended him in 2010 following allegations of financial irregularity and then in 2013, Modi was banned for life by the cricket governing body.

"It (IPL) has really been able to do that (clean-up act). It's moving up in the right direction with the Gujarat Titans performing tremendously in the first season from scratch. That has shown that there is faith now in the game. There is no fixing any more and that it has taken a new turn," he added.

At the IPL media rights e-auction Disney Star retained the TV telecast rights with a bid price of Rs 23,575 crore. “I am thrilled to announce that STAR INDIA wins India TV rights with their bid of Rs 23,575 crores. The bid is a direct testimony to the BCCI's organizational capabilities despite two pandemic years,” BCCI secretary Jay Shah wrote in a tweet.

"Viacom18 bags digital rights with its winning bid of Rs 23,758 cr. India has seen a digital revolution & the sector has endless potential. The digital landscape has changed the way cricket is watched. It has been a big factor in the growth of the game & the Digital India vision," Shah confirmed in another tweet.

Reliance's Viacom18, won the rights for package C with a Rs 3,258 crore winning bid. As a result of this, Viacom, who also won the rights for Package B with a pay out of Rs 20,500 crore (Rs 50 crore per match for 410 matches), ended up paying Rs 23,758 crore for the entire bouquet of digital rights.

The Package D, which included rights for the Rest of the world, was won for a bid of Rs 1058 crore.

In the end it was the BCCI that laughed its way to the bank, raking in a total sum of Rs 48,390 crore for the packages A, B, C and D.

NDTV

If Disney-Star and more importantly Jio manage to break even the cost they've incurred and would incur over the next 5 years, Lalit Modi's prediction is bound to come true.

Hotstar did a truly commendable job over the last 5 years and Jio - with 0 experience in OTT business - have a formidable task cut out for them. If they can make it work, then they would truly position themselves as a massive rival to Amazon Prime and Disney-Hotstar.

Lalit Modi is also spot on about the need to build more modern stadiums like Wankhede/Amdavad or even renovated like Eden Gardens. There's one coming up in Jaipur. Same in Mohali. The one in Lucknow is brand new but the design is meh. Maybe the amenities and facilities are still top notch.

Over the next 5 years, I'd like to see 5-6 new stadiums come up with 75k+ capacity.

If Disney-Star and more importantly Jio manage to break even the cost they've incurred and would incur over the next 5 years, Lalit Modi's prediction is bound to come true.

Hotstar did a truly commendable job over the last 5 years and Jio - with 0 experience in OTT business - have a formidable task cut out for them. If they can make it work, then they would truly position themselves as a massive rival to Amazon Prime and Disney-Hotstar.

Lalit Modi is also spot on about the need to build more modern stadiums like Wankhede/Amdavad or even renovated like Eden Gardens. There's one coming up in Jaipur. Same in Mohali. The one in Lucknow is brand new but the design is meh. Maybe the amenities and facilities are still top notch.

Over the next 5 years, I'd like to see 5-6 new stadiums come up with 75k+ capacity.

From what I have read, Reliance is partnered with Viacom and Paramount on this. They are going to use Paramount+ infrastructure and expertise to do the streaming. So they will be just fine.

Looks Paramount strategy is to make a big splash with IPL on their entry into the Indian market.

It was a good bidding process so congratulations on that and thank God no more teams in the future.

Back