Is it high time to suspend BCCI owing to incessant political interference?

Is it high time to suspend BCCI owing to incessant political interference?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
BCCI has brought disgrace to the gentleman's game by toeing the line of its government and consistently bringing politics into cricket. First it tried its best to shut the doors of cricket in Pakistan for over a decade and of late it made the Asia Cup 2023 insipid by bringing Sri Lanka as a co-host and now the Indian government is hell bent to ensure an hybrid model for CT 2025 to be held in Pakistan alongwith influencing ACB to boycott the CT 2025 games in Pakistan.

So the same ICC which was too quick to ban Sri Lankan cricket board owing to political interference, has become totally numb before BCCI. So is it high time by other boards to stand against this politicized BCCI or they should simply accept their whims willy nilly?

I will say publish this post in tps so that all political angles are covered otherwise only indian posts will be objected on basis of political matters

Do it. It'll be fun watching world cricket after that. Did someone tell me that cricket used to survive before BCCI caught hold of power? Yes, it did. Now compare what the game used to be financially for the players back then to what it's now.​

I will say publish this post in tps so that all political angles are covered otherwise only indian posts will be objected on basis of political matters
Done, now lets unearth the main reason behind Indian government's paranoia with an ICC event in Pakistan.

No you can't ban the BCCI over this stance.

Let's say in a hypothetical scenario the BCCI wanted to tour but the GOI never let them. How can you ban the BCCI?

Political interference is when the board is directly being run by politicians. In India's case it's not easy to establish this direct link.

We can disagree with their nonsensical stance on cricket but it is not enough to ban their board.

With regards to the current issue I don't even blame the BCCI too much. They have decided to hold the cricket world hostage but nobody is stopping them.

This type of approach wouldn't be allowed in any sport. The real issue is the toothless nature of the ICC

Define "bringing politics into cricket", is it internal and external relations politics or purely external relations politics. Please do ban BCCI for toeing it's government's line, but also be equal in dishing out the bans, when:

1. CA doesnt want to tour Afg or invite Afg to tour Oz
  2. PCB's patron in chief is Pakistan's PM, with change of govt. the PCB chairman changes, is that political intereference?
  3. BCB chief is an MP, who is member of the ruling party. If the govt. changes the BCB chief changes, is that political interference?
  4. HM's Government advises against all but required travel to Afg, therefore ECB cannot tour Afg, is that political interference?
  5. GOP bans all travel to India and cross border interaction, PCB cannot send team to India for an ICC tourney, is that political interference?

Define "bringing politics into cricket", is it internal and external relations politics or purely external relations politics. Please do ban BCCI for toeing it's government's line, but also be equal in dishing out the bans, when:

2. PCB's patron in chief is Pakistan's PM, with change of govt. the PCB chairman changes, is that political intereference?
  3. BCB chief is an MP, who is member of the ruling party. If the govt. changes the BCB chief changes, is that political interference?
  4. HM's Government advises against all but required travel to Afg, therefore ECB cannot tour Afg, is that political interference?
  5. GOP bans all travel to India and cross border interaction, PCB cannot send team to India for an ICC tourney, is that political interference?
Cricket is getting politicized especially in sub continent but no government is doing it as worse as Indian government. Take actions against others also but start with the big fish.

To add, Govt of RSA has got positive discrimination policy in light of apatheid, due to which more meritous cricketers are being overlooked for national squad selection, is that political intereference?

NZCB has never toured Afg either, who are a full ICC member, is that political interference as well?

Cricket is getting politicized especially in sub continent but no government is doing it as worse as Indian government. Take actions against others also but start with the big fish.
Please do by all means, but be equal in wielding the ban broom and pretty quickly we will find no international cricket possible due to "political interference".

OP has no clue what the term "political intervention" means. Otherwise he'd have called for dissolution of PCB by now.

For starters, it's constitution itself was drafted under an ordinance by the Federal Govt of Pakistan in 2014!

PCB is run as an extension of the ruling government to the extent that a Prime Minister ordered a complete reorganization of the way cricket is run Lol, and another PM dismissed its board unilaterally.

BCCI may have its share of political intrigue but it has always remained a separate organization independent from the executive of India. It remains a private trust , that has 100% autonomy over how it works. Someone like Rajiv Shukla who is an out and out Congress guy (Chief opposition party in India) continues to be a prominent figure in BCCI - he was named Chairman of IPL Governing council in 2017 and in 2020 was made the Vice President of BCCI unopposed despite it being BJP being the ruling party, thus demonstrating the political secularism within the organization.

Of course it is an Indian organization and like ifs citizens and fellow registered organizations it has to operate within the larger framework laid down by the Govt. It cannot explicitly go against the larger direction set out for the country by the executive. Not touring Pakistan comes within this ambit. You see USA using its influence to stop Russian athletes and sports people from appearing in all major world competitions. If hypothetically Israel were to be a cricketing country, would PCB agreed to host it or tour them ?

Please do by all means, but be equal in wielding the ban broom and pretty quickly we will find no international cricket possible due to "political interference".
Well my point is that if actions are taken like penalization, deduction of points, forfeiting of match and results in case of non compliance then we will see much more international cricket than we have currently.

Well my point is that if actions are taken like penalization, deduction of points, forfeiting of match and results in case of non compliance then we will see much more international cricket than we have currently.
You believe what you have laid out will convince CA to tour Afg or invite them to tour?

OP has no clue what the term "political intervention" means. Otherwise he'd have called for dissolution of PCB by now.

For starters, it's constitution itself was drafted under an ordinance by the Federal Govt of Pakistan in 2014!

PCB is run as an extension of the ruling government to the extent that a Prime Minister ordered a complete reorganization of the way cricket is run Lol, and another PM dismissed its board unilaterally.

BCCI may have its share of political intrigue but it has always remained a separate organization independent from the executive of India. It remains a private trust , that has 100% autonomy over how it works. Someone like Rajiv Shukla who is an out and out Congress guy (Chief opposition party in India) continues to be a prominent figure in BCCI - he was named Chairman of IPL Governing council in 2017 and in 2020 was made the Vice President of BCCI unopposed despite it being BJP being the ruling party, thus demonstrating the political secularism within the organization.

Of course it is an Indian organization and like ifs citizens and fellow registered organizations it has to operate within the larger framework laid down by the Govt. It cannot explicitly go against the larger direction set out for the country by the executive. Not touring Pakistan comes within this ambit. You see USA using its influence to stop Russian athletes and sports people from appearing in all major world competitions. If hypothetically Israel were to be a cricketing country, would PCB agreed to host it or tour them ?
Yep and Jay Shah is a veteran cricketer with no political background and affiliations. Bravo

In an ideal scenario, the ICC should enforce these rules. We would have a proper test championship and bilateral series schedules. If a team refuses to comply with something the ICC has put into place, they should be penalised. That's how it happens in most sports.

However, in cricket, the ICC has let itself get fat from the money the BCCI brings in and hasn't sought to diversify. They are happy to cut corners to make India happy.

You believe what you have laid out will convince CA to tour Afg or invite them to tour?
I am not here to convince any board but what i am suggesting is the end to the menace of political interference be it from any country and currently the biggest casualty of it is going to be CT 2025 event.

Yep and Jay Shah is a veteran cricketer with no political background and affiliations. Bravo
Jay Shah also happens to be involved in Cricket Administration for a long time - He was not parachuted into the BCCI but worked his way up just like most of them do, by serving as administrator at the district and then state levels.

How many other BJP party members can you show me in the BCCI top brass ?

I am not here to convince any board but what i am suggesting is the end to the menace of political interference be it from any country and currently the biggest casualty of it is going to be CT 2025 event.
Then you agree to suspending PCB, BCB,ECB, BCCI,ACB, RSACB at the same time , cricket's suffering to varying degrees due to "political interference". You have straight away suspended 6 full member boards.

For the record personally I want ICT to tour Pakistan for CT'25.

BCCI has brought disgrace to the gentleman's game by toeing the line of its government and consistently bringing politics into cricket. First it tried its best to shut the doors of cricket in Pakistan for over a decade and of late it made the Asia Cup 2023 insipid by bringing Sri Lanka as a co-host and now the Indian government is hell bent to ensure an hybrid model for CT 2025 to be held in Pakistan alongwith influencing ACB to boycott the CT 2025 games in Pakistan.

So the same ICC which was too quick to ban Sri Lankan cricket board owing to political interference, has become totally numb before BCCI. So is it high time by other boards to stand against this politicized BCCI or they should simply accept their whims willy nilly?
I don't think you can really eliminate political interference from Sport.
- Should Taiwan be allowed to play as a country in the Olympics? They fit almost every definition
- Should South African athletes (and cricketers) be allowed to participate in tournaments and tour countries during the apartheid era?
- Should Russian players have been allowed to play under their flag?
- The Football world cup has banned plenty of countries over the years

So many such questions.

Especially in the subcontinent where cricket is so closely tied to people's emotions, politics is virtually tied into the sport. India cricket actually after the Lodha committee reforms is less political than some of the other countries like Pakistan, Sri Lanka which actually are blatant about it.

Jay Shah also happens to be involved in Cricket Administration for a long time - He was not parachuted into the BCCI but worked his way up just like most of them do, by serving as administrator at the district and then state levels.

How many other BJP party members can you show me in the BCCI top brass ?
Anurag Thakur comes to mind...

Yet you created the thread, so really interested in knowing what is your definition of "political interference" and will you be happy if PCB,BCB, ECB, ACB, BCCI, RSACB are all suspended at the same time for the said interference?

Then you agree to suspending PCB, BCB,ECB, BCCI,ACB, RSACB at the same time , cricket's suffering to varying degrees due to "political interference". You have straight away suspended 6 full member boards.

For the record personally I want ICT to tour Pakistan for CT'25.
Yep if Sri lankan board could be suspended for same reasons then others could be too. Depending on the gravity of their case varying degree of actions could be taken as i already mentioned above. If ICC is a body run by rules then there should be implementation of them too.

And i appreciate your Idea of ICT touring Pakistan.

Even if ICC will. (Which they won't). BCCI can just establish a new international cricket body and/or have IPL all year long.

Yet you created the thread, so really interested in knowing what is your definition of "political interference" and will you be happy if PCB,BCB, ECB, ACB, BCCI, RSACB are all suspended at the same time for the said interference?
Political interference is a self explanatory term. If you still need a textbook example then consider BCCI stubborness to visit Pakistan without any reason. Of course BCCI here is following the directives of its BJP led government.

Political interference is a self explanatory term. If you still need a textbook example then consider BCCI stubborness to visit Pakistan without any reason. Of course BCCI here is following the directives of its BJP led government.
It isnt mate, because another textbook example is RSACB's policy of positive affirmation and racial quotas, which has caused quite of South African white cricketers flight and some mediocre cricketers playing for RSA and over all diluting the cricketing quality.

I can understand why you are singling out BCCI because it impacts CT in Pakistan, but taking a macro view, quite a few boards are guiltybeing under the said "political interference".

Is this some kind of joke? Which sports body in the world can go against the will of its own government?

By that metric, PCB will be the first one to be banned. Every regime change brings instantly new PCB governing members.
ACB should be banned with regards to politicking of Afghan Taliban issue.
Bangladesh has literal politician playing their cricket, Shakib Al Hasan, Ban BCB too.
Entire SA T20 is owned by IPL owners, I guess CSA would get the boot too.
WI cricket is always involved with corruption.. lets ban that.
Zimbabwe doesnt need a case, insta ban with its policies.

Are we left with anything?

Do it. It'll be fun watching world cricket after that. Did someone tell me that cricket used to survive before BCCI caught hold of power? Yes, it did. Now compare what the game used to be financially for the players back then to what it's now.​
We want to go back to the world where the English had a veto in ICC decision making and players were fixing international matches and were under the threat of D company. It was good when the white teams used to ditch coming to Pakistan for one reason or another.

We want to go back to the world where the English had a veto in ICC decision making and players were fixing international matches and were under the threat of D company. It was good when the white teams used to ditch coming to Pakistan for one reason or another.

ICC should be run by gentlemen from MCC. England invented cricket and they should be the caretaker of it.

Suspend BCCI.

Even as Indian fan, I won't mind it.

Some Pakistani ppers live in delusion and only this way, they might wake up from the unrealistic surrounding that they have created and indulged themselves (hopefully).

ICC should be run by gentlemen from MCC. England invented cricket and they should be the caretaker of it.
Agreed.

Even these Indians go back to that period when discussing the glory days of cricket.

The way the MCC remained guardians and protectors of cricket was commendable.

Until this day players dream of scoring a century at Lords and being clapped and cheered at by the members.

Fully agreed and while we are at it let it be declared that Bharat will now be considered an island nation, all its gold reserves to be immediately transferred to Islamabad and all its citizens to wear pink clothing on every Thursday because some are angry that BCCI won’t send its team to Pakistan for the Champions Trophy 2025.

Last edited by a moderator:

The real problem is revealed when you scroll down from this/your post....

The Indian posters here to give two hoots about Pakistan let alone Pakistan Cricket. There is no empathy whatsoever towards Pakistan.

They would be happy playing IPL year in and year out with a few matches against the Sena nations.

At the end of the day it's the Indian people that have the final say, through their votes and how they want to spend their money... being a two billion people population there is literally nothing anyone can do, even if the BCCI was a politically appointed organisation.

Pakistan fans should be grateful that the BCCI has not got PCB banned till now. If you provoke the BCCI, the consequences can be severe. So it's not wise to mess with the Big Daddy.

With regards to the current issue I don't even blame the BCCI too much. They have decided to hold the cricket world hostage but nobody is stopping them.

This type of approach wouldn't be allowed in any sport. The real issue is the toothless nature of the ICC
This type of approach was part of cricket for 50 years beneficiary being Aus and Eng.

The mighty Windies cricket team made them bleed and Sachin Star Sports made BCCI kill their influence off.

The gentleman from MCC considered Bangladesh cricket to be worth less than dirt of their feet
He doesn’t care until India doesn’t get a say. Gentleman it seems lol, man Thank God for Marshall Holding Roberts and Viv made English and Aussies bleed and suffer.

Agreed.

Even these Indians go back to that period when discussing the glory days of cricket.

Until this day players dream of scoring a century at Lords and being clapped and cheered at by the members.
By the same logic, Pakistan should go back to the British Raj and revert back to British colony. The educated , cultured British gentleman wud do a better job ruling your country & managing your economy than what your own rulers are doing !

Yep if Sri lankan board could be suspended for same reasons then others could be too. Depending on the gravity of their case varying degree of actions could be taken as i already mentioned above. If ICC is a body run by rules then there should be implementation of them too.

And i appreciate your Idea of ICT touring Pakistan.
PCB is the most politically influenced board- Ramiz Sethi Zaka Mohsin being chairmen is not political?

ICC should give a warning to BCCI. If political interference doesn't stop, BCCI should be temporarily suspended just like Zimbabwe Cricket Board and SLCB in the past.

Right now, ICC is behaving like a branch of BCCI.
lol keep dreaming.

By the same logic, Pakistan should go back to the British Raj and revert back to British colony. The educated , cultured British gentleman wud do a better job ruling your country & managing your economy than what your own rulers are doing !
No it's not the same logic.

BCCI has shown its power whether right or wrong they are doing this post 2011 WC, now its time for PCB to tighten its trousers and look for alternatives be it going aloof from ICC, surely this cannot work.

PSL T10 league and may be some tournament like Hundred , PCB has to think out of the box or become a proper slave, BCCI has already eaten up their territory IPl being elongated to 70 days and now with CT , PSL shifted to early April.

Why not the Real bosses hand over PCB to some serving Journal to come out from this mess.

The real problem is revealed when you scroll down from this/your post....

The Indian posters here to give two hoots about Pakistan let alone Pakistan Cricket. There is no empathy whatsoever towards Pakistan.

They would be happy playing IPL year in and year out with a few matches against the Sena nations.

At the end of the day it's the Indian people that have the final say, through their votes and how they want to spend their money... being a two billion people population there is literally nothing anyone can do, even if the BCCI was a politically appointed organisation.
There is no empathy from either side, PCB refused to tour India when they were better off.

Bcci/GOI is being UNFAIR but empathy is never a thing with government on either side.

It’s literally the Establishment running PCB now, they have always been at odds with India since 1947.

BCCI has shown its power whether right or wrong they are doing this post 2011 WC, now its time for PCB to tighten its trousers and look for alternatives be it going aloof from ICC, surely this cannot work.

PSL T10 league and may be some tournament like Hundred , PCB has to think out of the box or become a proper slave, BCCI has already eaten up their territory IPl being elongated to 70 days and now with CT , PSL shifted to early April.

Why not the Real bosses hand over PCB to some serving Journal to come out from this mess.
PCB isn’t under a General now? Hope you are kidding

It's not the toothless nature of ICC, it's that they don't have any bargaining chips. Most other sports don't have an extremely lopsided revenue generation model. Football is fairly distributed well and other extremely rich sports are only in the US.

The counterweight to BCCI would be Pakistan and Bangladesh allying with each other because they have the population numbers. But they have poorer economies than India and the broadcast rights don't sell for a lot yet.

England and Australia are richer but cricket is a niche sport in those countries and the population is lower too so in aggregate, India is much bigger than anyone else even though India is a far poorer nation as per capita GDP.

In all honesty I would save a lot of time if BCCI is banned though, cricket takes up a lot of my time :sachin and IPL can keep happening 6 months ,which I can easily skip unlike the newer generation that will probably skip Internationals

Hate being so invested in cricket.

ICC is dead , don't expect anything sensible from ICC, the only way BCCI can be convinced is via strong political leadership or networking, knowing Modi the butcher at the helm may be the Al Capone of Pakistan NS should do his networking to convince GOI.

This is a task too far from the reach of puppet PCB chairman's.

ICC should give a warning to BCCI. If political interference doesn't stop, BCCI should be temporarily suspended just like Zimbabwe Cricket Board and SLCB in the past.

Right now, ICC is behaving like a branch of BCCI.
Fixing it for You : Right now, ICC is BCCI pretty much for all practical purposes.

This type of approach was part of cricket for 50 years beneficiary being Aus and Eng.

The mighty Windies cricket team made them bleed and Sachin Star Sports made BCCI kill their influence off.

So, India being beneficiary is okay but not okay if it is England or Australia. Is that what you are saying?

Why not a neutral governing body?

So, India being beneficiary is okay but not okay if it is England or Australia. Is that what you are saying?

Define neutral governing body please? Perhaps a body incorporated, located and run by a non cricketing country, for example Israel or Saudis or Italy or Chile?

They would be neutrals innit bruv...

Lol you are the one who said you want Aus and Eng back “gentleman’s”

Yeah we can go back to 1800's and just watch England and Australia playing ashes, that will be the only international cricket left, even that will be boring as majority of the big players would have quit international cricket to play in the BCCI rebel leagues like IPL, SA T20 etc. Sponsors will pull out as TV viewership will drop with India no longer participating in international cricket. ICC will no longer get the broadcasting deals they are getting now. Cricket will become a hard product to sell with India not playing international cricket and sponsor from India for sure will not be there anymore. It will be interesting to see how cricket runs if that happens, I would love ICC to try that. BCCI will still survive with IPL and other leagues as players will still play there even if that means leaving their national teams. We can all scream on top of our lungs as to how important it is to play for the national side but no one will care as $1-$2 m for couple of months of cricket will be hard to skip.

The funniest part is that Pak fans cry for ICC to come for their help and ban BCCI etc while acknowledging at the same time that ICC is controlled by BCCI.

Shouldn't the easier thing be PCB to come out of ICC altogether and have its own independent cricket ?

It's like going to a party organized by your enemy at school and asking for the guy and his gang to evict themselves. :D

Why suffer such ignominy and insult and still cling onto ICC ? Have year round PSL and departmental cricket with overseas discards and retirees

Anurag Thakur comes to mind...
That was like 7 years back right ? I don't.think he'd part of BCCI national executive.
Also AT is someone who came up through the ranks after serving in state association for a while.

In both the cases, Pakistan suffers and infact in your case Paksitan cricket would go bankrupt.

Give one neutral sports body that you see in any any sports please. Your arguments would have some weight if they didnt make things horribly worse for Pakistan itself or had some sort of practically feasible solution.

Can anyone tell me why will ICC ban BCCI?

The government isn't running BCCI but the government have every right to deny security and travel clearance to any citizen.

Schedule 7 of Indian constitution gives power to the GoI to decide regarding foreign policy.

Can anyone tell me why will ICC ban BCCI?

The government isn't running BCCI but the government have every right to deny security and travel clearance to any citizen.

Schedule 7 of Indian constitution gives power to the GoI to decide regarding foreign policy.
Australia has declined to tour or host Afg since Taliban took over. By the same yardstick, ACB should be banned too ?

Or PCB itself for refusing to tour Afg or even host them citing "security reasons" - essentially the same reason BCCI has used.

There is no empathy from either side, PCB refused to tour India when they were better off.

Bcci/GOI is being UNFAIR but empathy is never a thing with government on either side.

It’s literally the Establishment running PCB now, they have always been at odds with India since 1947.
The establishment has always used India as en excuse, it seems India are now no longer tolerating this.

In an ideal world cricket would flourish as a sport but alas this hadn't been the case and now with the present and future being T20 cricket I for one have will go back to the 70's and 80's and try to catch any test cricket on radio or tv and that will be that.

Agreed.

That has a lot to do with slave psychology and Stockholm syndrome.

Indians are slowly getting our of it after realising their global importance while other colonized countries are still looking at Europeans as their massiahs.

This is just an extension of centuries of foreign rule and being told that brown people are not intelligent enough to rule themselves.

Sharam aani chahiye.

The establishment has always used India as en excuse, it seems India are now no longer tolerating this.

In an ideal world cricket would flourish as a sport but alas this hadn't been the case and now with the present and future being T20 cricket I for one have will go back to the 70's and 80's and try to catch any test cricket on radio or tv and that will be that.
Which is fair, my core memories of cricket are from 1990s but it was an era rampant with match fixing.

2. HM's Government advises against all but required travel to Afg, therefore ECB cannot tour Afg, is that political interference?

Neither of these are political interference. CA refuse to play Afghanistan in bilaterals on the basis of their stance on women's rights and the impact that has on their (non-existent) women's cricket. Afghanistan should be outcast as a full member currently and the only reason they aren't is because that harms the BCCI.

General advise against travel is not interference. Anyone from the UK is free to travel to Afghanistan if they really want to.

Neither of these are political interference. CA refuse to play Afghanistan in bilaterals on the basis of their stance on women's rights. Afghanistan should be outcast as a full member currently and the only reason they aren't is because that harms the BCCI.

General advise against travel is not interference. Anyone from the UK is free to travel to Afghanistan if they really want to.
Their stance of women rights is not political?
India can easily have a stance for something.. will that not be political too then?

That has a lot to do with slave psychology and Stockholm syndrome.

Indians are slowly getting our of it after realising their global importance while other colonized countries are still looking at Europeans as their massiahs.

This is just an extension of centuries of foreign rule and being told that brown people are not intelligent enough to rule themselves.

Sharam aani chahiye.
We are happy to rule ourselves but picking between a noble white and brown Indian to rule cricket we will pick the white for sure. The white didn't try to isolate us and play petty games. In fact they worked for the betterment of the sport.

During the Indian regime the game has went backwards on all positive metrics and has been infused by darkness.

Their stance of women rights is not political?
India can easily have a stance for something.. will that not be political too then?

No, believing everyone should have basic human rights isn't political, it's common sense and human decency.

We are happy to rule ourselves but picking between a noble white and brown Indian to rule cricket we will pick the white for sure. The white didn't try to isolate us and play petty games. In fact they worked for the betterment of the sport.

During the Indian regime the game has went backwards on all positive metrics and has been infused by darkness.
Whites worked for the betterment of the sport by having veto power and making sure only they can host?

You are from UK and that’s fair and maybe same logic somehow you don’t seem to agree on Pakistan becoming a colony of Britain again? Wasn’t it ruled better than, Lahore was better in British Raj?

No, believing everyone should have basic human rights isn't political, it's common sense and human decency.
Are you telling me Aus has embassies and foreign relations only with countries that have equal rights for its citizens?

Are you telling me Aus has embassies and foreign relations only with countries that have equal rights for its citizens?

No, the Australian government have embassies all over the place. Cricket Australia aren't the Australian government though.

Whites worked for the betterment of the sport by having veto power and making sure only they can host?

You are from UK and that’s fair and maybe same logic somehow you don’t seem to agree on Pakistan becoming a colony of Britain again? Wasn’t it ruled better than, Lahore was better in British Raj?

Why would someone choose between Independence and being ruled by someone? It is the wrong question being asked, and you are trying to draw parallels between things that are not similar.

The ideal is always self-sufficiency. However, in cricket, Pakistan are not at that point yet and are debating the merits of different game rulers. I hope Pakistan can work towards being self-sufficient, but in the meantime, there is no doubt that cricket overall was much better under the stewardship of the MCC than it has been under the de facto dictatorship of the Indians.

You find me one fan from any country that can find one positive thing about this era of cricket that isn't related to TV rights or players salaries.

No, the Australian government have embassies all over the place. Cricket Australia aren't the Australian government though.
So Aus government has no issues but CA does on rights of women.

In that logic then you are probably right.

BCCI should take a stand themselves on Indian soldiers and not hide behind GOI.

Why would someone choose between Independence and being ruled by someone? It is the wrong question being asked, and you are trying to draw parallels between things that are not similar.

The ideal is always self-sufficiency. However, in cricket, Pakistan are not at that point yet and are debating the merits of different game rulers. I hope Pakistan can work towards being self-sufficient, but in the meantime, there is no doubt that cricket overall was much better under the stewardship of the MCC than it has been under the de facto dictatorship of the Indians.

You find me one fan from any country that can find one positive thing about this era of cricket that isn't related to TV rights or players salaries.
The only difference is the monetary benefit nothing else..
Cricket didn’t provide that before, most Indian players had jobs etc..

Pakistan can go back to the MCC time and open up department cricket again and have no funding for players..

The only major difference is finance, PCB can easily get boards together and knock India out replace with Lanka as in your opinion money doesn’t matter as when MCC ruled..

All PCB has to do is host one ICC tournament without Indian cricket and sponsors , make it successful and BCCI will fall in line.
All that the mice needed was just one mouse tying that bell on the cat's neck.

I would say eulogising the golden past is a common affliction among sports fans.

I used to be on a Manchester United forum 10-12 years ago where all the old guys used to talk about how Football was great in the 80s when men were men and not these diving pansy foreigners we have today.

I've lived in the States in the South where colleagues used to talk about American football and Baseball and how it was a purer game in the 70s when players played for limited salaries, you could run into them at the neighborhood bar and (subtext) it wasn't full of these uppity.

There is no doubt the game is better today. More countries play than in the old MCC days - Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan. More poor kids can aspire to greatness - the likes of Jaiswal, Rinku Singh. Player health and fitness is better taken care of. I could go on.

Pakistan unfortunately has the short end of the stick since it has the enmity of the the most powerful country in this particular sport. Sort of like Cuba in baseball where the moment any kid gets good at the game, they find a way to defect. You're seeing it from that one particular perspective.

I do not mind if England host every single tournament. Great venues. Great crowd. Great atmosphere.

Back