Is it time for Joe Root to step down as captain?

Is it time for Joe Root to step down as captain?

• Total voters

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Seems a lot of unhappiness with Root's performance as captain - but is it time for him to go?

Go Root go.... ?

==

England all-rounder Chris Woakes has supported Joe Root to continue as the team's Test skipper despite their humiliating Ashes capitulation.

England suffered an innings and 14-run loss to Australia on Tuesday in Melbourne as Root's team surrendered the five-Test Ashes series with two Tests to spare.

Root, who was reluctant to discuss the long-term future of his captaincy after the Ashes defeat in the third test, has not won any of his three Ashes series in charge.

The 30-year-old has also suffered a record nine defeats in 2021 as the captain.

Asked if the England team would support Root's continuation as skipper, Woakes said: "Absolutely.

"It's clear that the captaincy isn't having an effect on his batting, which a lot of the time with captains can be the case."

Root has proved a virtual lone hand with the bat and, after scoring 50 and 28 in Melbourne, he finishes the calendar year with 1,708 runs - the third-highest after Mohammad Yousuf (1,788) and Viv Richards (1,710).

"The fact that he's scoring the runs he is, is great for the team," Woakes added. "It would be great if we could help him out with that and build some partnerships with him, and score a few more runs around him.

"But Joe is a great cricketer, he's got a great cricket brain. I think his record as England captain is pretty good, as far as I'm aware. I definitely feel like Joe will continue."

Former England spinner Monty Panesar believes Joe Root should continue as the Test captain regardless of results in Australia
Asked if coach Chris Silverwood also has the same support, Woakes added: "Who am I to talk about people's futures other than my own, to be brutally honest? We have two more games and we want to show a lot of character, a lot of fight.

"The group of players, the management and the staff we have out here have the backing of the players to hopefully put things right, over the next two games in particular."

The England board's chief executive Tom Harrison reportedly met Root in Melbourne on Wednesday to discuss the reasons behind the failing tour, but the board is said to be supportive of him staying on as captain.

Were Joe Root to step down as England captain, Mark Butcher told Sky Sports News a figure like Nasser Hussain would be required, but the former batter cast his doubts over the current crop.

"As far as Root is concerned, you have to look around and think, 'Who would you give the captaincy to?'," Butcher added.

"I've been thinking of some names who could possibly take over. Ben Stokes is clearly one, but he's England's premium all-rounder playing in all three formats - is it really going to be beneficial towards his performances to take on the extra load as captain?

"He might say yes, but history suggests that's a difficult task to undertake. Just ask Andrew Flintoff.

"And then you're looking at people outside the team altogether. James Vince is captain of Hampshire, has experience of leading, and so you're almost looking outside the current crop of players.

"What England need at this point of time is somebody like Nasser Hussain, as he did in the late 1990s. He came in and demanded changes of the first-class system, demanded the ECB that he get what he wanted in terms of the way players prepare. And was then able to select players on character to stop the bleeding and build a team from there.

"Who is strong enough to have that character that is around at the moment? I have no idea I'm afraid."

SKY

Last edited:
Former England opener Geoffrey Boycott has called on Joe Root to step down as captain after his side were humiliated by Australia in the Ashes.

Boycott took aim at Root for insisting ahead of the third Test that Australia are 'not much better' than England, before going on to lose by an innings and 14-runs in Melbourne.

The 81-year-old accused Root of "trying to kid us" and "treating us ex-players and cricket supporters as idiots", before criticising his captaincy for 'lacking imagination'.

In his latest column for the Telegraph, Boycott said: "Now Australia are 3-0 up and the Ashes have gone, will Root please stop saying Australia are not much better than us?

"I don’t mind him living in cuckoo land but stop trying to kid us. If he really believes what he says then maybe it is time he gave up the captaincy of the England cricket team.

"The facts are staring us all in the face, except Joe doesn’t want to see it. England can’t bat. Our bowling is ordinary. The catching, particularly by the wicket keeper Buttler, has been poor.

"Joe’s captaincy lacks imagination. His team selection and decision making has been staggeringly off the mark.

"Many of us are tired of these interviews where Joe says England will learn from a bad day or Joe says he expects a response after a poor performance.

"We have had enough of this rubbish. Stop treating us ex-players and cricket supporters as idiots."

Before the series began, Root admitted the Ashes would "define my captaincy" and Boycott believes he must step down at the end of the series.

He added: "At the end of this series the question should be asked: would England benefit from a change of captain?

"That’s not me trying to be hurtful to Joe or just being controversial. We all love Joe. It is impossible not to like him, but before the squad left the UK Joe said players and captains are defined by Ashes series, particularly in Australia.

" So far this series we have been dreadful and if Joe believes what he has been saying then it is time for someone else to be given the opportunity to try and galvanise the players.

"Captains accept the accolades when their team wins so they have to accept some blame or criticism when they lose.

"And let’s be honest - we haven’t just lost, we have been smashed."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/ashes-root-boycott-england-australia-25802779

It will make no difference as long as there are rubbish players to select

At the end of the series.

Give the armband to Stokes for the Windies tour, see what he does.

Stokes is far more astute as captain. His brief stint in the 2nd test resulted in perhaps the only period where England were on top and applying pressure. As soon as Root walked in, normal services resumed. However Stokes isn’t mentally or physically fit. Also it’s clear that there is team infighting going on. (Notice how Woakes side steps the question on Silverwood). Also, dropping Broad on green top wickets makes no sense at all.

Reality is if Root is not captain there is no long term candidate alternative; sadly this means England have to stick with Root - though I would take a punt on Broad albeit temporarily.

Yes, Moeen Ali would be the ideal replacement, the PM needs to step in and ask him to lead the team

Stokes is far more astute as captain. His brief stint in the 2nd test resulted in perhaps the only period where England were on top and applying pressure. As soon as Root walked in, normal services resumed. However Stokes isn’t mentally or physically fit. Also it’s clear that there is team infighting going on. (Notice how Woakes side steps the question on Silverwood). Also, dropping Broad on green top wickets makes no sense at all.

Reality is if Root is not captain there is no long term candidate alternative; sadly this means England have to stick with Root - though I would take a punt on Broad albeit temporarily.

That was more a knife in the back than a side step!

He waxed lyrical about Root's cricketing brain but when asked about Silverwood he "said who am I to talk about other people"!

I wouldn't go anywhere near Broad or Jimmy with the captain. They are quite toxic individuals and I think deliberately tried to undermine Joe a bit.

It needs to be Root for the time being but they must dump Silverwood and Giles.

Root is not tactically very astute and doesn't have anybody on the field to rely on. He needs some guidance from the backroom and while I don't discredit the notion of rubbish players becoming coaches, these types of players are usually suited to teams that need administrator type of coaches than tacticians.

Joe needs someone that can plan for him and help him understand team selection, discuss tactics, look at conditions and team combinations. Ideally, this should be someone that has played the game successfully at the highest level and can counter Joe's nice guy and one of the lads type attitude.

England needs to get Gary Kirsten or Jason Gillespie on the phone ASAP. Under the tutelage of better coaches, I think Joe will become a good captain.

Last edited:
Step down ? his crime , being the lone man standing when everyone around him is falling and failing .

Scoring 1700 runs when everyone else has been failing.

Before sacking Root there are a couple of things that should be tried.

Get Anderson and Broad out of the squad and give Root total control of the team, Root is being undermined by these two and on top of that he has to organize his bowling around Anderson, Root has to make sure Anderson is catered for when making bowling changes and planning. He can't plan to win a match he has to plan to take care of a geriatric. Pietersen suffered from outside influences and eventually was discarded due to internal conflict but the same crew are causing internal conflict.

Yes England will struggle for a while but the end results will be players being able to trust and rely on each other which will improve their team performance.

Anderson and Broad are almost certainly at the end. They might get a couple more Tests each, perhaps even a testimonial match, but that would be the maximum I think.

The statement from Woakes in support of Root and completely ambivalent on Silverwood is fascinating. That dressing room will be a dark space at the moment.

I’m fully prepared for the coming inquiry & years of struggle for England to get back up there in Test cricket, but as long as the correct decisions are being made and the team gradually starts to go back in the right direction and improve, then that is ok.

Root being relieved of captaincy duties and the armband passing to Stokes (who would in turn reduce his overs quota and bat down at 6) would be a good start imo.

Changing captaincy won't make the batsmen better. English batting has been garbage for over 5 years now.

The Ashes: Ben Stokes backs Joe Root and Chris Silverwood as England head into fourth Test

Ben Stokes has insisted he has no ambitions to lead England and has given unconditional support to captain Joe Root and coach Chris Silverwood ahead of the fourth Ashes Test at the SCG.

On a day when Covid’s net seemed to close in ever more tightly, with Silverwood himself testing positive for the virus, and England facing two local net bowlers who had to be withdrawn after their lateral-flow tests returned positive results, Stokes played down suggestions he wanted to make the step up from the vice-captaincy.

'I've never really had an ambition to be a captain,' he said. 'That's totally Joe's decision. He shouldn't be forced into doing it.

'I'm sure Cooky felt the same way. He did it for so long: when he knew his time was up, his time was up. Those discussions haven't been entered into anywhere near Joe yet.

'Captaincy is more than about setting fields, picking the team, making decisions out there in the middle. A captain is someone you want to go out and play for. Joe Root is someone I always want to play for.'

Stokes, who has led his country in one Test against West Indies when Root was on paternity leave, and three ODIs against Pakistan last summer when England were hit by a Covid outbreak, has always been a fiercely loyal member of the dressing-room.

That may explain his unconditional backing of Silverwood, who was already in isolation in Melbourne because a family member had tested positive when his own diagnosis came through; a third member of his family has also caught the virus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...hris-Silverwood-England-head-fourth-Test.html

Yeah, its Root's fault that batsmen are not scoring runs and bowlers are unbale to take wickets , lets blame the only player who has been performing consistently.

Ben Stokes has thrown his full support behind Joe Root and Chris Silverwood, insisting any blame for England’s Ashes defeat should be shared around the tour party. The all-rounder has also stated that he has no designs on the Test captaincy himself.

Stokes is arguably the only viable candidate to replace Root should a change of leadership occur after a one-sided series which Australia lead 3-0 going into the fourth Test starting on Wednesday in Sydney. With a fifth Test in Hobart still to come – not a given as Covid-19 continues to loom over proceedings – others are simply playing for their spots.

But while Root has now overseen 59 Tests, the point where a jaded Alastair Cook ended his record stint in charge in early 2017, Stokes is not expecting a similar outcome yet. He also had words of encouragement for Silverwood that were doubtless welcome after it was confirmed the head coach has the virus and will not return until next week.

“I don’t sense that at all with Joe,” Stokes said. “He’s brought this team a long way. He’s done some great things. Obviously this series hasn’t gone too well. Not from a captaincy point of view but from a team and results point of view. Unfortunately, the captain and coach bear the scrutiny for that but there are 10 other guys out there in the field beside the captain.

“At the end of the day, the most important people’s opinions are those guys in the dressing room and [Root and Silverwood] have our thorough support.

“Captaincy is more than about setting fields, picking the team, making decisions out in the middle. A captain is someone you play for. Joe Root is someone I always want to play for. Chris Silverwood is exactly the same. He’s a real players’ coach. He stands up for you as individuals and players as well.”

Asked if he fancied stepping up should Root decide he has run his race, Stokes, the vice-captain, replied: “I’ve said I’ve never really had an ambition to be a captain. That’s totally Joe’s decision. He shouldn’t be forced into doing it. I’m sure Cooky felt the same way. He did it for so long. When he knew his time was up, his time was up. Those discussions haven’t even entered anywhere near Joe yet.”

Root’s commitment was in evidence when England returned to training on Sunday and the captain found himself using the slinger to help his teammates bat in the nets. The coaching staff is now threadbare, Silverwood having tested positive while already isolating with his family in Melbourne, and following on from Jon Lewis (the seam bowling coach), Jeetan Patel (spin coach) and Darren Veness (fitness) last week.

To sum things up, the former captain Adam Hollioake drove down from Queensland to Sydney over the weekend after being asked to help out by Graham Thorpe, the acting head coach, only to discover he was a close contact of a positive case and needed to immediately isolate. Soon after, the local net bowlers were forced out of England’s session midway through after one of them received a positive result.

“You almost go back to club cricket where you have to do your own stuff,” Stokes said, regarding the farcical situation. “The next couple of days are about getting what you can out of the resources we have available. It’s not ideal but it’s also Sydney at new year, so you’ve got to look for the positives – in a non‑Covid sense.”

Among these is simply a return to the international arena for Stokes, the 30-year-old having taken four months out in the summer to address a finger injury and his mental health. By his own admission his output so far – 101 runs with the bat at 16, four wickets with the ball at 62 – has been “pretty average”. To continue a theme of England’s recent press interactions, he too now wants to put “pride back into the badge”.

There was also an acceptance that Australia have been outstanding with the ball, never more so than the second evening in Melbourne when Mitchell Starc reduced England to 31 for four in the final hour and Stokes found himself walking out in front of 49,000 baying home fans after Jack Leach’s appearance as nightwatchman lasted two balls.

Stokes, who admitted to delaying his entrance in the hope of shaving off an over before stumps, said: “When I look back at that hour, with Pat Cummins and Mitch Starc bowling, even I was watching that going, ‘I don’t know what I would do to counteract that’. That was some of the highest quality bowling I think I’ve seen in a Test match.

“I said to some of the guys the next morning, it’s the first time I’ve actually been taken aback by the atmosphere in a cricket ground. Although we were on the receiving end of that, it was pretty special to feel that at the MCG.”

Though England’s resources are reduced, they appear unlikely to call on any players featuring in the Big Bash League. On Sunday those in the Twenty20 squad who will face West Indies this month – Sam Billings, Saqib Mahmood, Tymal Mills, James Vince, Reece Topley and George Garton – were told to return to the UK by 7 January.

Reported initially as if it was a Dunkirk-style evacuation in response to the rising number of Covid cases in Australia, this was always their intended departure in order to begin “safe living guidelines and Covid-19 protocols” before the squad’s flight to Barbados.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...says-he-has-no-ambition-to-be-england-captain

Yeah, its Root's fault that batsmen are not scoring runs and bowlers are unbale to take wickets , lets blame the only player who has been performing consistently.

The criticism of Root is based on not handling his bowlers well, letting Silverwood pick the wrong bed for a given wicket, and setting wrong fields.

The criticism of Root is based on not handling his bowlers well, letting Silverwood pick the wrong bed for a given wicket, and setting wrong fields.

And having a passive demeanour on the field, not being able to create pressure or intensity.

Joe Root's England captaincy may have been questioned by a number of former players but his former Test team mate Moeen Ali has said that he has more of an "emotional connect" with his team mates than his predecessor Alastair Cook had. Moeen, who retired from Test cricket earlier this year, said that he saw Root spend more time with the players than Cook did as captain while referring to footage of the England skipper giving throwdowns to his team mates at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

"Cooky would never give me throw downs," Ali said in the Fox Sports studio. "Rooty has a bit more of, I would say, an emotional attachment with the players. He probably spends a bit more time with the players."

Cook, who was sitting beside him, responded to that by saying: "Are you just criticising my captaincy?" to which Moeen replied, "I am a little bit, yeah."

"They’re both very different. I did do better with the bat under Cooky but with the ball I was better with Rooty," Moeen further said.

Coook then said that he never dropped Moeen. "I was going to say, I never dropped Mo. So you might criticise me, but I never dropped you. How many times did Rooty drop you?” said Cook.

"That’s true, but he also batted me from one to nine in my first year of international cricket," Moeen hit back.

Cook retired from international cricket as England's all-time highest run scorer in Tests in September 2018. Moeen scored 1927 runs in 37 Test matches under Cook, scoring all five of his centuries, and averaged 35.03 while with Root as captain, he score 987 runs in 27 matches, averaging 20.56.

As a bowler, Moeen took 98 wickets under Cook while he took 97 under Root.

"To go back to my point, Rooty was a little bit more involved with the players, in my opinion," Ali said. "Not that Cooky didn't care, but I think Rooty is a bit more arm-over-the-shoulder kind of guy."

"I'm not sure how to take this anymore. I've just come back from a nice holiday and I've walked straight into Moeen Ali off his long run," said Cook.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cr...root-alastair-cook-captain-1896801-2022-01-06

I think Joe has to go now. I don’t think he has anything more to give. England have imploded. Very sad.

I think Joe has to go now. I don’t think he has anything more to give. England have imploded. Very sad.

Yeah, i think he will himself give up the captaincy at the end of the series, if not the very next match.

Yeah, i think he will himself give up the captaincy at the end of the series, if not the very next match.

Yes indeed. The situation has become untenable.

There is no way that Joe can stay on as captain after a Test series like this, with such consistently huge holes being painfully exposed within both his leadership and the team that he has built. He must resign.

Perhaps if England had played well and lost 3-2 or 2-1 then Root could have held on to his captaincy (a drawn series meanwhile would have been a very good result). But it’s looking like 5-0 to Australia as things stand & possibly only some bad weather could reduce that deficit.

Joe is a world class batter and he will retain his position as England’s star player at no.4 — but when it comes to the hot seat, the poisoned chalice, the whirlwind that is the England cricket captaincy, it’s time to hand over the reins to somebody else.

Joe Root is a great player but I believe his position as a captain has become untenable. It has to change as it's not working.

As of now, Ben Stokes is the only real successor IMO. Hope his physical and mental fitness issues will be sorted by then.

Joe Root is a great player but I believe his position as a captain has become untenable. It has to change as it's not working.

As of now, Ben Stokes is the only real successor IMO. Hope his physical and mental fitness issues will be sorted by then.

Agree — Stokes as captain (with reduced bowling duties) is the way to go, even if it’s short term while England blood someone else for the role.

What's the problem between moeen ali and Alistair cook ? supposedly he's made a few digs at cook:

[MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] / [MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] / [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] what's the history between the two ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Root's England captaincy may have been questioned by a number of former players but his former Test team mate Moeen Ali has said that he has more of an "emotional connect" with his team mates than his predecessor Alastair Cook had. Moeen, who retired from Test cricket earlier this year, said that he saw Root spend more time with the players than Cook did as captain while referring to footage of the England skipper giving throwdowns to his team mates at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

"Cooky would never give me throw downs," Ali said in the Fox Sports studio. "Rooty has a bit more of, I would say, an emotional attachment with the players. He probably spends a bit more time with the players."

Cook, who was sitting beside him, responded to that by saying: "Are you just criticising my captaincy?" to which Moeen replied, "I am a little bit, yeah."

"They’re both very different. I did do better with the bat under Cooky but with the ball I was better with Rooty," Moeen further said.

Coook then said that he never dropped Moeen. "I was going to say, I never dropped Mo. So you might criticise me, but I never dropped you. How many times did Rooty drop you?” said Cook.

"That’s true, but he also batted me from one to nine in my first year of international cricket," Moeen hit back.

Cook retired from international cricket as England's all-time highest run scorer in Tests in September 2018. Moeen scored 1927 runs in 37 Test matches under Cook, scoring all five of his centuries, and averaged 35.03 while with Root as captain, he score 987 runs in 27 matches, averaging 20.56.

As a bowler, Moeen took 98 wickets under Cook while he took 97 under Root.

"To go back to my point, Rooty was a little bit more involved with the players, in my opinion," Ali said. "Not that Cooky didn't care, but I think Rooty is a bit more arm-over-the-shoulder kind of guy."

"I'm not sure how to take this anymore. I've just come back from a nice holiday and I've walked straight into Moeen Ali off his long run," said Cook.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cr...root-alastair-cook-captain-1896801-2022-01-06

It seems very awkward, but it's clear that Moeen bears a bit of a grudge due to Cook shuffling him up and down the batting order.

What's the problem between moeen ali and Alistair cook ? supposedly he's made a few digs at cook:

[MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] / [MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] / [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] what's the history between the two ?

None that I knew of previously, but clearly from this meeting of minds then there was/is an issue.

Cook’s naive obliviousness to it all is also no surprise given that he was not the best of man-managers during his captaincy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Joe Root off the long run! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ashes?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Ashes</a> <a href="https://t.co/K3Vpics1ZE">pic.twitter.com/K3Vpics1ZE</a></p>— cricket.com.au (@cricketcomau) <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketcomau/status/1479667572370927616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 8, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ben Stokes is the only man who can lead the revival of England's Test side, believes Ricky Ponting, who warned Joe Root that staying on as captain beyond this Ashes series would wear him down.

Barring a final-day miracle in Sydney, Root will be staring down the barrel of 10 straight Tests in Australia as skipper without victory as numerous senior English figures face questions over their futures.

Root has acknowledged as much, signalling that he will consider his position after the Vodafone Ashes series concludes in Hobart later this month.

Ponting, who sees parallels with the final days of his own captaincy tenure and Root's present situation, believes Stokes could improve his own game with the leadership.

"I think Stokes would actually grow as a player if he was the captain of that side," Ponting told cricket.com.au

"The only person that can take over is Ben Stokes.

"I think with a bit of extra responsibility, he might become an even better player and that might have a good impact on the rest of the team."

England may be accused of not learning from history if they were to saddle Stokes with the Test captaincy given how their previous once-in-a-generation allrounders fared in the role.

Ian Botham famously won England the 1981 Ashes off his own bat after he gave up the captaincy mid-series following 12 winless Tests in the job.

Andrew Flintoff had similar struggles, presiding over the 2006-07 Ashes whitewash in Australia and failing to reach the heights of his incredible series in 2005 before later admitting the captaincy was "the worst job I've ever had".

But Ponting pointed out that many specialist batters have also struggled with the pressures of leading their country and highlighting how allrounders like Shaun Pollock and Wasim Akram have previously had success as leaders.

He also suggested Stokes' fighting qualities, on display in his gritty first-innings knock of 66 in which he batted through a side injury that left him in clear discomfort, would lift his teammates.

"You'll find instances right the way through even with top order batters where it hasn't worked," said Ponting.

"It just sits well with some, and doesn't with others.

"I don't know Ben Stokes that well, but if I was trying to change the face of English cricket and trying to give a bit more of a heartbeat and a bit more soul, then I think he'd be the one that I'd be looking at to lead the team.

"Even with what we saw yesterday, to stand up under that much physical pain says a lot about him, and his teammates will thrive off that.

"Anyone that plays underneath him, I'm sure will grow an arm and a leg."

Root arrived in Australia in the form of his life but was under no illusions that a second Ashes tour defeat could spell the end of the road as skipper.

"Of course it will define my captaincy – I'm not naive enough to think that it won't – but again, what a great opportunity," he said before the series.

Root has three half-centuries to his name in the series and has been his side's leading batter but has not replicated his dominant form of 2021, with Australia remaining the only nation in which he has played at least four Tests where he has not scored a century.

The ongoing Sydney Test marks his 60th match charge of the side, more than any of his predecessors.

"I just think it's going to grind him down," said Ponting.

"Even looking back on my career, I played a couple of years longer – and potentially even captained a couple of years longer – than I should have.

"The challenge just gets harder and harder, and it weighs you down.

"Where England cricket are right now, they're looking at a pretty ordinary last eight or 10 test matches, they might just need a complete reboot with a fresh face in charge.

"I'm not saying that he needs to go or that he has to stand down. But I reckon it will be a conversation in the back in the backrooms of at the ECB."

"I absolutely think they batted too long – 288 the highest ever (fourth-innings) chase (at the SCG), an England batting order that's been under the pump right through the summer, three guys potentially injured.

"But that's a decision that they've made and let's hope it pays off for them tomorrow, hopefully they've left themselves plenty of time.

"Who knows what's going to happen with weather, those are things they've probably had to factor in as well. I'm sure that's been part of their thinking.

"If they win halfway through tomorrow, it doesn't matter. But if they don't, then they'll have some questions to answer."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ric...ben-stokes-ashes-series-defeat-scg/2022-01-08

If Rory Burns sorts his technical issues out then I don't see any reason why he can't be the England captain. Tactically very astute, been a excellent captain for Surrey and led them to the championship title.

Only option right now is Stokes.

Though it's not Root's fault that Eng batting is poor, however, change in captaincy may work for ENG.

Stokes the obvious candidate but I believe he has expressed that he doesn't want the job. Which means Root is likely to hold onto the position. You cannot give it to anyone as there is noone else in the side capable of nailing down a place.

Australians are always too fast to making changes when it comes to captaincy. Alastair Cook copped a lot of flak during his tumultuous run from late 2013 to mid 2014 before eventually turning it around in the 3rd home test against India. The difference here is Cook was a definite leader (albeit defensive but a leader nonetheless) something Root isn't. 60 tests are enough of a sample size for that. I do agree with Ponting here.

MJ Clarke was forced to retire as well with just one poor series when he had gotten over his fitness issues finally (presumptively)
Although I won't be surprised to see Warne harping about it every time he has a mic.

<b>Ashes: England captain Joe Root relived and proud with draw in fourth Test.</b>

Captain Joe Root said he was relieved and proud that England clung on for a draw in the fourth Ashes Test to remove the possibility of another 5-0 defeat.

Last man James Anderson batted out the final over in Sydney to leave England 270-9 after they had been set an unlikely 388 to win.

"To do that was really pleasing," Root told Test Match Special.

"Clearly there are a lot of improvements we can make, but it's a step in the right direction."

England had already lost the series after an innings defeat in the third Test in Melbourne ensured the Ashes were lost at the earliest possible moment.

That left the tourists battling to avoid being beaten 5-0 for the third time in 15 years, with England also losing 4-0 on their last trip in 2017-18.

The draw in Sydney came after a number of Covid cases in their backroom staff - head coach Chris Silverwood was in isolation and missed the match.

England also had to deal with injuries to Jonny Bairstow, Ben Stokes and Jos Buttler, the latter set to fly home and miss the final Test because of a broken finger.

"Relief is the overwhelming emotion," said Root.

"We've had quite a lot thrown at us - guys have stood up and showed a lot of character, showed a lot of pride and showed how much they care about playing for this team."

Silverwood is now out of isolation and will be in charge for the fifth Test, a day-nighter in Hobart that begins on Friday.

Sam Billings could make his Test debut in place of Buttler, while England will assess Bairstow's thumb injury and Stokes' side strain.

All three injured players batted on the final day in Sydney, which England began on 30-0.

After Zak Crawley's entertaining 77, Stokes made 60 and Bairstow 41, while Buttler used up 38 balls for his 11.

In the fading light, Jack Leach edged Steve Smith's leg-spin to slip with 12 balls remaining, only for Stuart Broad to defend an over from Nathan Lyon before number 11 Anderson resisted Smith.

"We never make it easy for ourselves, do we?" said Root.

"Before this match, I spoke about putting some pride back into English cricket. The fight, desire and character shown in the five days has done that in a small way.

"It was a dark day at the end of the last Test. It would have been very easy to roll over for the last two.

"When you find yourself out of the series, it's really important that you front up. Everyone has done that this week."

— — —

Don’t think avoiding the whitewash with this result will be enough for Joe to hold on to the captaincy job though…

Joe Root says he wants to stay on as England Test captain after the 4-0 Ashes defeat by Australia - but admits the decision could be taken out of his hands.

A 146-run thrashing in Hobart on Sunday condemned England to a 10th defeat in their last 14 Test matches, with just one victory coming in that time.

Root was also captain when England lost their previous away Ashes series 4-0 in 2017/18 and in charge for the home series in 2019 which was drawn 2-2.

The 31-year-old has led England in a record 61 Tests, winning 27, losing 25 and drawing nine.

Root said: "I believe that I am the right man to take this team forward. I have an appetite to carry on and turn things around. If that decision is taken out of my hands, so be it.

"At the minute we are going through a real tough stage as a group of players and the performances haven't been good enough.

"But I'd love the opportunity to try to turn things around and for us to start putting in performances from an English Test team."

England were rolled for just 124 in their second innings of the pink-ball fifth Test, losing 10 wickets for 56 runs having reached 68-0 in a chase of 271 for victory.

The tourists only passed 200 four times in 10 innings during the series, with a best of 297.

Root said: "It's disappointing to be beaten as heavily as that. It's a difficult one to take yet again. It's clear and very evident what we need to do to improve, the adjustments that need to be made.

"There are certain things that definitely need to change. We've got an opportunity to really prioritise Test cricket off the back of this and make a real significant change to the game, prioritise this team.

"Let's hope that happens in due course. I think there's a lot of things to consider, going from some long-term things to some short-term things.

"I'm sure I will get an opportunity to express my views on things and how I think we can make significant changes to the red-ball game in our country. Let's see how things progress in the coming weeks."

Speaking to BT Sport, Root said: "There were some really soft dismissals. We have to be better as a batting group. You can't win Test matches if you are not getting 200.

"Guys have to learn quickly. If you want to survive at this level, you have to learn quickly. What they are lacking is the opportunities to do that at the level beforehand."

Speaking at his post-match press conference, Root added: "A lot of guys will look at themselves in the mirror and say 'I've not given a very good account of myself'.

"We have let ourselves down because we've not given not given a fair account of what we're capable of. At the same time, it's quite evident that Australia, at this moment in time, are a better team than us in all areas.

"It hurts me to say that but it's the reality of things. We've got to accept that and find a way of being better."

England's torrid year in Test cricket included a 3-1 series defeat in India, a home series defeat to New Zealand and then the Ashes loss as they failed in their bid to regain the urn.

Root told BT Sport: "The pandemic has made things extremely challenging. The amount of cricket we have played on the road in restrictive environments does take its toll on you.

"Not necessarily out on the field in terms of performances but it does have a knock-on effect.

"It wears you down over a long period of time. It is a challenge no one has really had before and we have done it more than anyone else. That doesn't excuse a performance like that."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...d-test-captain-after-4-0-defeat-by-austeralia

He should step down. Not due to this loss. I have not seen any inspired leadership from Root. It may even help him to focus on his batting.

There is no other option, so it doesn't matter. Stokes misses every other test and has a large workload already due to being an allrounder

Stokes would have been a good replacement and have mentioned it previously but, with his current mental health issues, tragedy in his life with passing of his father and his own lack of form and much cricket behind him it can be tricky.

If Stokes is willing to do so and is serious about the job then I think its time for Root to leave the captaincy and focus on his batting, Root's growth as leader seams to have been stagnant in last year or so where it looks like he has reached a saturation point which currently doesn't seem to be enough.

A happy man is a dangerous man, Stokes is no longer the same he use to be or fit enough.

Unfortunately, among active cricketers Root is the only option. If Mo was around he’d be a serious contender. Broad could get it but he’a not a long term option.

Barrel is dry, who has the personality to lead but can also stay fit and hold their place in the team?

Root should continue until a suitable option is groomed.

Root should step down himself if he is feeling this as a burden or so.

England management know that there is no other alternative of Root so they will never sack him for captaincy. But Root should do what works best for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Root should step up himself if he is feeling this as a burden or so.

England management know that there is no other alternative of Root so they will never sack him for captaincy. But Root should do what works best for him.

Just because there is no clear alternative does not mean you keep sticking to someone horribly out of his depth as captain. Take a gamble and give the leadership to someone with actual leadership qualities.

Just because there is no clear alternative does not mean you keep sticking to someone horribly out of his depth as captain. Take a gamble and give the leadership to someone with <B>actual leadership qualities</B>.

I think that's where the problem lies. There is just no one in that setup who you could point out and say that this is the man for them who can take over the mantle and hopefully turn it around.

ECB is well aware that Stokes is not the guy who can handle this pressure and others are simply not good enough to have cemented their place. There is no one coming from the younger generation and showing the consistency like say, Root did in his initial years.

I think that's where the problem lies. There is just no one in that setup who you could point out and say that this is the man for them who can take over the mantle and hopefully turn it around.

ECB is well aware that Stokes is not the guy who can handle this pressure and others are simply not good enough to have cemented their place. There is no one coming from the younger generation and showing the consistency like say, Root did in his initial years.

Then they will need to consider Stuart Broad in a caretaker role. Root has been a failure and does not deserve to retain the captaincy

Being consistent is not the criteria for captaincy. We have seen that Root is consistant with his runs, but as a captain, an abject failure.

Then they will need to consider Stuart Broad in a caretaker role. Root has been a failure and does not deserve to retain the captaincy

Characters like Anderson and Broad should be kept away from the team. This Ashes series is a good opportunity to lay them out to pasture. They have dragged England cricket to mediocrity on and off the field through the 2010s - don't need to repeat the same mistakes in the 2020s as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">They’re saying, SACK THE COACH! SACK THE CAPTAIN! <br>Who else is going to coach or captain this England Test team any better? <br>If you name me some world class players to replace the current underperforming ones, I’ll agree. <br>But, there isn’t! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlameTheSystem?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BlameTheSystem</a></p>— Kevin Pietersen&#55358;&#56719; (@KP24) <a href="https://twitter.com/KP24/status/1483067507153977346?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 17, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think that's nonsense from Pietersen (as usual). There has to be accountability for decision-making, otherwise, there's really no point of doing anything. There can be no immunity for losses and shambolic mistakes, which has been a regular part of English cricket since Andrew Strauss left his role as Director of England Cricket. There has to be someone accountable for the decline of county cricket, for the tactical mistakes in Australia, for the promotion of Chris Silverwood to be both chief selector and head coach, and for the ludicrous rotation policy in place for the last 12 months.

There are always alternatives for leadership positions, the cowardly decision will be to hide behind an excuse of there being no replacement for Root or Silverwood, or Giles. If it were me, I'd do all possible to appoint someone like Mahela Jayawardene or Stephen Fleming - or even Ravi Shastri (not kidding) - as head coach, and appoint Stokes as captain. English cricket needs a significant change in mentality.

Being consistent is not the criteria for captaincy. We have seen that Root is consistant with his runs, but as a captain, an abject failure.

He has in fact won more tests than any other England captain.

But English cricket has still had a very bad year.

Sir Andrew Strauss has confirmed that Joe Root will continue as captain of the England men's Test team for the upcoming tour of the West Indies.

Strauss, addressing the media for the first time in his new role as the interim managing director of England men's cricket, said Root's commitment as captain of the Test team was "absolutely clear", despite a hugely difficult winter which saw his side beaten 4-0 in The Ashes series in Australia.

Head coach Chris Silverwood and former managing director Ashley Giles were both sacked this week, while it has also been confirmed that Graham Thorpe has left his position as assistant coach.

Strauss stressed that his appointment was purely on an 'interim' basis, saying: "my role is to prepare the team for the West Indies series and potentially recommend some structural changes to the England cricket department. However long that takes, I'm willing to play that role."

Strauss said: "It goes without saying it has been a particularly bruising period for the England Test team in particular over the last few months. No one likes to see English cricket in the headlines in the way it has been recently.

"When Tom [Harrison] asked me to step in on an interim basis, anyone who has a passion for English cricket wants to play their role and I'm very happy to do so.

He added: "I don't pretend to have all of the answers to all of the potential issues in English cricket at the moment but, obviously, I'll be working hard to try and navigate our way through that."

On Root remaining as England Test skipper, Strauss said: "Having spoken to him, it is absolutely clear the extent of his commitment to taking this England cricket team forward. He has got incredible motivation and energy to do that.

"He is bruised, hugely disappointed by what went on in the Ashes - that goes without saying and many others are in the same boat - but he has the respect of the players, they all play for him and obviously he sets a magnificent example both on and off the field.

"I'm very happy to give him my support, and make sure that we've got the right sort of structure around him to take the pressure off him and allow him to do his job on the pitch."

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/n...e-as-england-test-captain-says-andrew-strauss

They realised that nobody else could do it I guess.

Joe Root says he thought "long and hard" about his future as England captain - but he is the right man to "take the team forward".

Root's captaincy came under intense scrutiny following the disastrous Ashes defeat by Australia.

Since then, head coach Chris Silverwood and director of cricket Ashley Giles have departed, but Root says he still has the appetite to lead England.

"I've got a lot of energy for it," added the 31-year-old Yorkshireman.

Root added: "I obviously had a long, hard think about things. I feel I'm the right man for the job and I'm very energised in hoping to take this team forward."

He was speaking ahead of the first Test against West Indies, which starts on Tuesday and his team looking to become only the second England side since 1968 to win a Test series in the Caribbean.

Root, who has led the Test side on 61 occasions, says the series represents an opportunity for England to move past the Ashes defeat.

"I'm very grateful to get the opportunity - and hopefully this can be a real start of change in our performances," he added.

"It's a real chance to start getting back to where we need to be, which is one of the leading teams in Test cricket."

'A great opportunity for a number of guys to step up'

Pressed on whether he considered stepping down as captain following the Ashes, Root said: "As with everything, when it comes to playing for England, that always comes first, and whatever I think is best for the team is what I will do.

"I think I'm the right person to take this team forward. I thought long and hard about that and I'm very much looking forward to that opportunity now.

"When I was weighing that up, it would have been wrong to just commit to a short-term thing.

"I always try to do what I think is best for this group of players, whether that is with the bat in hand or as captain of this team."

England are embarking on the three-match West Indies tour without their top two leading Test wicket-takers in James Anderson and Stuart Broad, who were dropped by interim managing director Andrew Strauss.

When asked if he considers this a "fresh start" for England, Root added: "This is a great opportunity for a number of guys to step up, take on some different roles, really develop themselves as players and become more leaders within this group.

"We've seen that in small snippets so far. The real test will be, can the guys do it in the Test matches?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60654838

Not a great start to 3rd test, but how can he or ECB justify him remaining as captain if they do lose the test and series in WI?

I don't think he has it in him to step down, it would be admitting failure and no one likes to do that, so it has to ECB who needs to just lift the burden off him and let him contribute as batsman without all this added pressure.

Last edited:
Joe is one of the world’s best batsmen if not the best, but he should hand over the captaincy reigns as soon as possible.

Last edited:
I don't think Stokes can handle captaincy due to mental health problems.
Ben Foakes is a good candidate.

He has to go. The team’s results in Test cricket have been absolutely atrocious under him for way too long now.

1F825267-C2A7-4B65-8ED1-AA9C5B2D156D.jpg

Stop doing this to yourself, Joe.

Step aside.

Bairstow for captain?

Might be a good shout.

Hes clearly not a leader who can inspire and get the best out of the players he has at his disposal

Reminds me similarly to babar

Hes clearly not a leader who can inspire and get the best out of the players he has at his disposal

Yes, definitely (bad) parallels.

Root and Babar are in
Unique positions.

Both are not captain material and both ecb and pcb have no alternative.

Bairstow for captain?

Might be a good shout.

He isnt a dead cert for me in this team Bairstows been around for ages but still avges in his mid 30s with poor to avge performances in more innings than not

Hes one of the many reasons why roots in this position now

Yep no doubt, Root should step down and be replaced by stokes. This will inevitably put more on stokes plate but it's absolutely required.

Root on the captaincy, after series loss to the West Indies:

"I think I've made it quite clear at the start of this game and throughout this tour, I'm very passionate about taking this team forward and I will control what I can.

"I don't think it is ever in your hands completely. I feel like the group are very much behind me, we're doing a lot of good things and we just need to turn that into results now."

Root on the captaincy, after series loss to the West Indies:

"I think I've made it quite clear at the start of this game and throughout this tour, I'm very passionate about taking this team forward and I will control what I can.

"I don't think it is ever in your hands completely. I feel like the group are very much behind me, we're doing a lot of good things and we just need to turn that into results now."

Same things he said in Australia, like a broken record. England need fresh captaincy ideas.

Root doing the Babar Azam style denial...

“Throughout this series we’ve played some really good cricket, shown what we’re capable of as a group. We’ve grown over first two games as a batting group - we’ve shown big strides in that department.”

His time is up.

They need a new skipper, Root looks lost.

1 win in 17 Tests is unacceptable.

Stokes as skipper I reckon.

Joe Root has reiterated his desire to remain England captain after his side's series defeat by West Indies.

England slumped to a 10-wicket defeat in the third Test in Grenada as their winless run stretched to nine Tests.

Root, who has been captain since 2017, has now overseen four series defeats in a row, this loss coming on the back of the 4-0 Ashes humbling by Australia.

"I'm still very passionate about taking this team forward," said Root, who has won a record 27 Tests leading England.

"I feel there's the support of the dressing room behind me and I'm desperate to see them smile and celebrating because we don't feel that far away."

England have only won one of 17 Tests going back to February 2021 - their worst run since the 1980s.

They also trail India 2-1 in a five-Test series that was postponed last summer with one game left to play.

After the Ashes, Root said he wanted to continue as skipper, but after day three against West Indies, when England collapsed towards defeat, former captain Michael Vaughan said he felt Root may step down.

However, asked if he wanted to continue, Root said: "I've made that quite clear.

"All I can control is what's in my power and in my hands and I will do whatever I can in whatever capacity to help England win games of cricket and that will never change."

England are currently without a managing director and head coach after Ashley Giles stood down from the first of those positions and coach Chris Silverwood left following the Ashes.

Andrew Strauss and Paul Collingwood have performed the respective roles on an interim basis for this tour, with permanent appointments set to be made before England's next Test against New Zealand, which starts on 2 June.

'Poor decision making and a lack of skill'

England were the better team in the opening two Tests of the series but were unable to force victory on the final day. However, they were outplayed for large periods in the series decider in Grenada.

Having been put in after losing the toss, they batted poorly and slipped to 90-8 before a 91-run last-wicket stand between Jack Leach and Saqib Mahmood hauled them to a more respectful 204.

They reduced the hosts to 95-6 but were unable to wrap up the tail and gave up a 93-run deficit after the first innings, with Joshua da Silva making his maiden Test century.

In their second innings, England were guilty of causing their own downfall with poor shot selections and a needless run out of Ben Foakes - to leave them 83-6, still 10 runs behind.

They were eventually bowled out for 120, leaving the West Indies 28 to win, which they chased down in 4.5 overs.

"It is a punch to take because for the majority of this series we have played so much good cricket," Root told BBC Sport.

"It's a big frustration. We have put so much into this trip and I think our attitude has been exceptional - you can see it is clear as day there has been a big shift forward in a number of areas.

"It is a body blow what happened yesterday but we have to take it on the chin and learn and not forget a lot of the good things we have done until now.

"The guys have worked so hard and done so much good stuff throughout and some poor decision making and, at times a lack of skill, has probably just let us down when we really needed to stand up."

Vote: Who should captain England in first New Zealand Test?
After the Ashes series we asked you who you wanted to be England captain on this tour of West Indies. The vote saw 58% keeping faith with Root.

Is that still the case now? Pick who you want to captain England in the first Test against New Zealand.

BBC

Yes.

Yes.

And yes again please.

It’s Stokes time.

<b>NASSER HUSSAIN: England's defeat by West Indies should signal the END of Joe Root's captaincy... he is a world-class batsman and a likeable lad but the team needs tougher characters</b>

Joe Root may have won more Test matches than any England captain but only one of those victories has come in his last 18 games now and the time has come for a change at the top.

For me the England captaincy was the best job in the world and it is not one you keep doing simply because there is a perception no-one else is capable of taking over. We are talking about the England captaincy. It is too important for that.

Root is a world-class batsman and a very likeable lad but I feel he has never had that instinctive feel for the game as captain. Clearly under Joe and Paul Collingwood in the West Indies England tried to create this atmosphere where they were all mates and all in it together. They want to be a likeable team but you need more than that to win Tests.

Sometimes you need those tough characters even if they are difficult to captain and coach. It’s such a cop out to leave out people who are perhaps difficult to manage and pick a team of 10 yes men and yourself.

The whole point of captaincy, and the aspect of the role I enjoyed the most, was trying to get the most out of people who did things differently. Those who were a little difficult.

The first thing Andrew Strauss will do in the aftermath of another series defeat is appoint a new managing director and then it will be up to them to appoint a new head coach and consider the captaincy.

And if Joe does not decide to step down himself the decision should be taken out of his hands. Then the new coach should sit down with Ben Stokes and ask him where he is off the field mentally and where he is with his game.

Ben seems to be playing with passion and fire again and if the coach likes what he hears from him then Stokes should get the job.

It does not need hindsight to say England have made serious mistakes on this tour and before it. I never understood the decision to leave out Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad. Why would you drop your two greatest bowlers when you are at your lowest ebb?

England have only won once in the Caribbean in the last 54 years but seemed to be saying they did not rate West Indies. It is a mistake they have made in the past, too, and there is nothing West Indies like more than to use that sort of thing as motivation.

The decision was clearly disrespectful to West Indies and I never believe you should use Test matches just to experiment and try new people for the sake of it, especially when you’re leaving people of the quality of Broad and Anderson at home.

They would not have made a difference in the first two Tests but they certainly would have done in Grenada, that is certain.

England had a side with two great bowlers and a misfiring batting line up in the Ashes but all they did in the West Indies was send another misfiring batting line-up and a samey attack, certainly once Mark Wood was injured.

It just defied logic not to take those two with them. They would have set the tone for the rest of the attack there, not least with their fitness where a bowler they did take in Ollie Robinson has been found wanting.

Then someone new they did take to the West Indies and needed to look at in Matt Parkinson did not get a game, even though the second Test pitch in Barbados in particular could well have suited the leg-spinner.

I’m not saying Parkinson would have made a difference to the outcome of the series but what have England learnt playing Craig Overton and Chris Woakes?

Fair play to West Indies. A side often ends up in the mould of their captain and in Kraigg Brathwaite they have a very disciplined leader with a lot of fight and character. Brathwaite and his team have shown a lot of class to win this Test in Grenada.

But for England a very difficult winter comes to an end with much work to do. And a lot of questions to answer, not least for Joe Root.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...st-Indies-signal-end-Joe-Roots-captaincy.html

Not the worst result for England considering they are rebuilding and Root is not wrong in suggesting there were positives to take away because there were, we saw potential with a new look pace attack and while Leach will never reach Mo’s level, he did fine as the solitary specialist spinner. Batting remains a problem but wont solve over night.

Root is desperate to continue but that adds more pressure each time things don’t go his way, England need a fresh pair of eyes and a good way to do that would be to kindly request Root take a mandatory mental well being break and allow Stokes to lead in the interim

Long overdue. Useless captain, uninspiring, no presence, scared little schoolboy.

You can apply that to both Root and babar Azam. England are stuck in “no other option” syndrome and have been for years. It’s best Pakistan learn from that and remove Babar now.

Unfortunately for England there’s no one else who’s “face fits”. Maybe Broad but he’s on his last legs and everything in my first paragraph applies to him too. But his “face fits”.

Root is the best choice for captain of England, he just needs to be given the right team.

England are starting again and need to give Root a team he can develop, there is no point in having Root in the team as just a batsman, whats the point of having a batsman who scores a lot of runs while the team is getting beaten all the time.

Root needs players that are going to follow his plan and play the way he wants them to play, ego's need to be put away and dedication to the team to become the goal.

Back