Is it time for Joe Root to step down as captain?

Is it time for Joe Root to step down as captain?

• Total voters
Root should give up captaincy, at this point he can't do anything better, a new captain might bring some freshness into the team. Root isn't inspiring anybody

Stokes Should be Make captain for 2 year in test cricket, maybe it Will motivate him

Stokes is a good option, however mentally not sure if his head would still be in the game pr whether he wants to be captain. Bairstow is a good shout, Sam Billings has been mooted as an outside the box option, need to get him into he team first tho.

Stokes is a quitter. ECB should not trust him with captaincy because he has already proved that he is not shy of putting himself above the team.

Whether he had legitimate reasons or not, the fact is that Stokes pulled out at a very critical period for English cricket - the home Test series vs England and the World T20.

If he is made captain, whose to say that he will not quit after a couple of heavy defeats and won’t play the mental health card again.

Root has always been there for England. You have to give him credit for the way that he has stuck in as captain in spite of all the heavy defeats that England have suffered over the past 12 months.

This is the toughest moment of his captaincy tenure and he deserves loyalty from ECB, especially now when he has disproved his detractors and proved that he can succeed with the bat while captaining the side.

It might appear that way but I don’t think he is selfish - if he thought that his captaincy is holding England back he would have quit.

However, it is obvious that there are major issues with the England Test side and this issues will not be addressed by having a new captain at the helm - it will only increase the instability.

He should lead England at least in the upcoming English summer.

This English summer is going to be massive for England in Test cricket - 6 Tests vs New Zealand and South Africa.

This is certainly not the right time to get a new captain in place.

Captaincy is a concern but I dont see how a captain can prevent regular batting collapses.

Root is the only guaranteed name on the team sheet.

Root is the best choice for captain of England, he just needs to be given the right team.

England are starting again and need to give Root a team he can develop, there is no point in having Root in the team as just a batsman, whats the point of having a batsman who scores a lot of runs while the team is getting beaten all the time.

Root needs players that are going to follow his plan and play the way he wants them to play, ego's need to be put away and dedication to the team to become the goal.

Hes been given mulitple players and combinations and hes failed miserably to produce adequate results

Theres no point having him as captain just because hes the best player in the team Thats not captaincy works A different approach is needed ala stokes as roots is clesrly not working

England when they are under genuine pressure, particularly with the bat, just bottle it and go from a middling side to a dreadful one.

Joe is arguably the world’s best batsman, and we fans really do love him, but as the captain he is accountable for this persistent underlying psychological weakness which runs through HIS team. It has been the biggest failure of his leadership.

The results don’t lie — five consecutive series losses is an unacceptable record — and this time, unfortunately, Joe should be paying for it with his job.

The harsh fact is that there is simply no other option. If there was one, then by now, Root would have been replaced by that option. But they have sticked with Root because there is simply no other way to go. There is just not a single leader in this unit who can do what Root has not been able to do or failed to do.

When there is no solution available, you stick with what you have and wait for the right time/person to come and then make the decision. You don't forcefully declare anyone a solution of the problem even though deep down you know it is not a solution.

Dont see no other option.

Feel for joe though. Decent guy, terrific sportsman, playes the game u'd want ur kid to play. A giant amongst not so good players. My gut feeling - he will continue till either some other guy gets groomed or another gargantuan high profile loss - eg Ashes.

Joe Root made sense because he won’t put IPL before country. Who else can you make the captain? Ben Stokes from now on till the end of his career will be fighting a lot of injuries

None of the younger players have managed to cement their place in the side. I think Dan Lawrence can be looked at but that’s up to England if they want to take a very big gamble. The other option is Ben Foakes who seems like a very assured character.

The harsh fact is that there is simply no other option. If there was one, then by now, Root would have been replaced by that option. But they have sticked with Root because there is simply no other way to go. There is just not a single leader in this unit who can do what Root has not been able to do or failed to do.

When there is no solution available, you stick with what you have and wait for the right time/person to come and then make the decision. You don't forcefully declare anyone a solution of the problem even though deep down you know it is not a solution.

Why isnt Stokes an option in your eyes?

This “no other option” stuff is a cop out. I thought we were the only team with that mentality. Seems England are too

There is always an option. England need to pick someone and back them. It might be a caretaker captain like Stokes or Bairstow or Buttler. But you have to move on.

Root is probably the worst option right now. So “no other option” is no longer an option

A team can’t lose five Test series in a row and there still be “no other option” for the team’s leader or their captain be “the best option right now”.

It is time for either the vice (Stokes) to be stepped up, or a more unorthodox / slight risk of a choice who will bring a different spin on leadership — Bairstow, Foakes, Broad? etc.

Root has had a long run. Some good and some bad. What’s certain now is that he has nothing new and indeed nothing else to offer as the captain of England.

I would tell Joe Root to step down as England skipper, says former captain Michael Vaughan

Former England captain Michael Vaughan says he would tell Joe Root to step down if he asked for his advice.

Root, who has been Test captain since 2017, is under pressure with England winless in nine games and having only won one of their past 17.

They have lost their last four series, including a 4-0 Ashes defeat and a 1-0 loss in West Indies, which ended with a 10-wicket defeat on Sunday.

"He's taken it as far as he possibly can," Vaughan told BBC Radio 5 Live.

Vaughan, who has known Root since he played for Sheffield Collegiate growing up, added: "If he rings me in the next week and asks for some advice I'll be dead honest - I'd tell him to step down.

"Will England be any worse off not having him as a captain? I don't think they would, because they are going to get his runs and a senior player.

"They'll get a great role model - I don't think there is a better role model in English cricket."

Read more:

Root has led England in a record 64 Tests, winning 27 games - more than any other captain - but losing on 26 occasions, which is also more than any other skipper.

His position came under pressure after the Ashes defeat but said he wanted to continue, and he reiterated that on Sunday, saying he is "very passionate about taking the team forward" and he had "the support of the changing room".

England are without a director of cricket and head coach after Ashley Giles and Chris Silverwood left the respective roles following the Ashes, with Sir Andrew Strauss and Paul Collingwood taking up interim roles for the West Indies series.

Both permanent appointments - and a decision about the captaincy - are expected before England's next Test against New Zealand on 2 June.

Vaughan, who captained England 51 times between 2003 and 2008, added: "I wouldn't want the new director of cricket or head coach to sack him - he's deserved the right to go on his own ground.

"During his reign I don't think he has been helped at all. His first Ashes series there was the Ben Stokes incident, then we had the white-ball reset, then he's had Covid and it's been very difficult.

"But, I always think captains should pride themselves on maximising every ounce of potential in the changing room. I just look at the team and ask why did they perform so under their potential? That would be a real concern for me.

"Tactically he has been poor. It has been a common trend under Joe - he hasn't managed to grab a game. If he does carry on he'll really need someone who can drive the tactical side of the game with him."

Former England assistant coach Paul Farbrace told 5 Live that he would decide it was "probably time for a change" if he took up the vacant head coach role.

"He is still England's best player but we've got a stage where we probably need to say 'come on, we need someone'. When he gets home he may think very differently about this," said Farbrace.

However, James Anderson, who is England's all-time leading Test wicket-taker, voiced his support for Root: "If you get the right people in those two jobs above him then he can still do a really good job."

Collingwood, who is interested in the permanent coaching role, also told BBC Sport that Root had been "magnificent" in the West Indies and "shown a real drive and determination to turn things around".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/60908459

England's record of one win in their last 17 Tests is clearly not good enough but Joe Root is still the right man to skipper the side, former bowler Darren Gough told Reuters.

Root has come under pressure after England slumped to a 4-0 defeat in the last Ashes series and lost 1-0 in West Indies, with former captains Michael Atherton and Nasser Hussain among those saying it was time for a leadership change.

Since taking charge in 2017, Root has led the side in a record 64 Tests. His 27 wins and 26 defeats as captain are also records.

Gough, who had a stint as England's fast bowling consultant in 2019, said Root enjoyed the utmost respect of players in the dressing room and that there was no clear "natural successor".

"If you're looking at results alone, one win in 17 is not good enough, of course," Gough said.

"But having been in the England dressing room, I can assure you that he's so well respected by every single player in that team. He's the natural captain."

Gough considers Ben Stokes the best all-rounder in contemporary cricket and a possible future skipper but said it was not the right time for Root to leave the role.

"If we had someone that was really putting their hands up and saying, 'I'm your natural successor', you could make an argument for a change," Gough said.

"But I honestly believe Joe Root is still the right man for the job at this moment in time. I don't think it's time for Ben Stokes to take over.

"Other than that, there's no one else who you can turn to who could do a different job to Joe Root."

England's struggles in the Test arena have prompted calls for a red-ball reset but Gough said they should first start getting their team selections right.

The 51-year-old was surprised England did not take veteran seamers James Anderson and Stuart Broad to West Indies.

England next hosts New Zealand in June before India and South Africa come calling.

Gough called for Anderson and Broad, "arguably the greatest two England bowlers", to be alternated on away tours.

"That would have been my plan, I'd have always one of them there all the time," said Gough, who played 58 Tests for England during his 12 years in international cricket.

"I believe one of them will come back in, I don't think both will come back. I've no idea which one, that's a very hard pick because both are still unbelievable cricketers."

England has a big summer of cricket ahead and they are capable of turning things around under Root, especially if fast bowlers Jofra Archer and Mark Wood return from injuries, Gough said.

"We need to get Jofra Archer and Mark Wood back. If we can get everybody back on the field, we can scare anyone," he added.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/cric...england-says-darren-gough/article38469244.ece

England will probably lose to New Zealand, then they might win the one off Test against India, and then I think they will find a way to beat South Africa.

Probably enough for Joe to continue hanging on as captain by a thread.

England will probably lose to New Zealand, then they might win the one off Test against India, and then I think they will find a way to beat South Africa.

Probably enough for Joe to continue hanging on as captain by a thread.

Lets see what Joe has to say after his break, I think after the recent beatings he was a bit punch drunk due to the number of blows to the head. He may see sense potentially after he recovers

It’s not a straight forward task for the ECB to remove their loyal puppet / star batter just like that

Lets see what Joe has to say after his break, I think after the recent beatings he was a bit punch drunk due to the number of blows to the head. He may see sense potentially after he recovers

Yes, good point.

The ECB seem to be really afraid of change. As if the world will come crashing down if Root isn’t captain. How much worse can it be than now?

This where Australia have learned. They were forced to have a change with Payne and it wasn’t too bad. Now they’ve done the unthinkable and made a fast bowler captain who’s also doing a good job.

Root himself is not much of a strategist. He’s not a much of anything as captain. Hardly inspiring, doesn’t have a cricket brain, very defensive. The only thing he is, is the best batsman but so what?

I think the problem for England is there arent many captains in the waiting, similar situation when Joe Root took over i dont think he was the best choice as captain, like Pakistan when in doubt give the job to the best player in the team. England need to find someone similar to Michael Vaughan otherwise i can see them struggling for a while.

I think the problem for England is there arent many captains in the waiting, similar situation when Joe Root took over i dont think he was the best choice as captain, like Pakistan when in doubt give the job to the best player in the team. England need to find someone similar to Michael Vaughan otherwise i can see them struggling for a while.

When in doubt you can pick the best player, problem is that solution has been a disaster recently. It’s time to move on, pick anyone they’ll do equally as bad or better

When in doubt you can pick the best player, problem is that solution has been a disaster recently. It’s time to move on, pick anyone they’ll do equally as bad or better

1 win in 17 Tests.

5 lost series in a row.

Anyone else could do at least as “well” as this, if not better surely.

Amazed that he’s still in the job.

1 win in 17 Tests.

5 lost series in a row.

Anyone else could do at least as “well” as this, if not better surely.

Amazed that he’s still in the job.

Yup exactly my point. This is my problem with the “no better options” argument. How bad can a change, any change be?

Joe Root wants to leave the role like the ending of Braveheart

Back