Is Nankana Sahib potential for becoming a hot bed for religious conflict?

Major

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
Nankana Sahib is a city in Punjab, Pakistan where Guru Nanak was born and started preaching. This city houses alot of sikh families. Many sikhs belonging from Afghanistan or other parts of Pakistan, where they faced religious persecution, shifted here for better self protection.

This city also attracts large number of Sikh foreigners from India, UK, Canada and USA who visit this place during their pilgrimage to Kartarpur.

One issue with this city is that it is surrounded by villages of Punjab, and villages often have lower literacy rate and more prone to religious hate.

What concerns me are the election results of this area.

NA- 118 - Nankana
PTI's Ijaz Shah won with a final vote count of 63,818 in 2018. While PMLN came in second with 63, 413. However, what was more disturbing was the fact that Tehreek e Labbaik Pakistan (TLP), a right wing party, was able to secure 49, 345 votes from this area. TLP's economic policy was to sell blankets to fix the economy.

By elections are scheduled to be held on September 25 2022, after Ijaz Shah resigned; and like last time, TLP is again fielding a candidate from this area.

Could this place become a potential hot bed for religious conflict?

Interesting thread. When I visited Amritsar, there was a signboard in the Partition Museum that said that local families used long range telescopes to get a glimpse of this village from across the border until the Kartarpur corridor has opened recently.

What percentage of the population are Sikhs in Nankana Sahib?
I don't know but there's clearly enough and they've been granted xe facto right to return. I'm not sure what's going on there but it's ripe for an unmitigated disaster that's being promoted by Pakistan. Bizarre.

I don't know but there's clearly enough and they've been granted xe facto right to return. I'm not sure what's going on there but it's ripe for an unmitigated disaster that's being promoted by Pakistan. Bizarre.

I agree with you if that any religion is allowed to settle in large numbers in a particular area, it can potentially lead to a conflict. Sikhs in general are pretty secular by nature. Hope it works out there.

Interesting thread. When I visited Amritsar, there was a signboard in the Partition Museum that said that local families used long range telescopes to get a glimpse of this village from across the border until the Kartarpur corridor has opened recently.

I think that must be for kartarpur as its next to the border. Nankana sahib is pretty from border its further than lahore

I think that must be for kartarpur as its next to the border. Nankana sahib is pretty from border its further than lahore

Its Kartarpur. Its visible from a small hill on the Indian side of the border. So many Sikhs used to climb up that hill to view the Kartarpur Sahib gurudwara

SIKH YATREES ARRIVE IN PAKISTAN TO ATTEND BIRTH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS OF BABA GURU NANAK

NAKNANA SAHAB: About three thousand Sikh Yatrees from India arrived in Pakistan through Wagah Border on Sunday, to attend the birth celebrations of Baba Guru Nanak at Nankana Sahib.

Additional Secretary Shrines, Rana Shahid and President of Sikh Parbandhak Committee, Sardar Amar Singh and government officials warmly received the Yatrees at Wagha Border.

Pakistan Railways has run three special trains for Sikh Yatrees from Wagha station to Nankana Sahib station.

The Yatrees will return to India on the 15th of this month.

ARY

I tried to visit Nankana Sahib recently.

Police stopped the car and told us to turn back, perhaps because the vehicle was registered in Faisalabad

Most of the travelling party had been before so we didnt protest too much.

I tried to visit Nankana Sahib recently.

Police stopped the car and told us to turn back, perhaps because the vehicle was registered in Faisalabad

Most of the travelling party had been before so we didnt protest too much.

The gurdwara or the city?

The gurdwara isnt open for general public at all times and you may need to ask for special permission. If they didnt allow you to enter the city than that is very weird.

The gurdwara or the city?

The gurdwara isnt open for general public at all times and you may need to ask for special permission. If they didnt allow you to enter the city than that is very weird.

Yeah it was at the gurdwaras. Will try to go again at some point.

Some of my Sikh friends have visited and always return back to the UK quite happy.

SIKH YATREES ARRIVE IN PAKISTAN TO ATTEND BIRTH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS OF BABA GURU NANAK

NAKNANA SAHAB: About three thousand Sikh Yatrees from India arrived in Pakistan through Wagah Border on Sunday, to attend the birth celebrations of Baba Guru Nanak at Nankana Sahib.

Additional Secretary Shrines, Rana Shahid and President of Sikh Parbandhak Committee, Sardar Amar Singh and government officials warmly received the Yatrees at Wagha Border.

Pakistan Railways has run three special trains for Sikh Yatrees from Wagha station to Nankana Sahib station.

The Yatrees will return to India on the 15th of this month.

ARY

I've said this before and I'll say it again, we need to thoroughly check every Indian that visits Pakistan before letting them in the country. Letting them come and go without supervision is a security hazard.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, we need to thoroughly check every Indian that visits Pakistan before letting them in the country. Letting them come and go without supervision is a security hazard.

I read that over 500 visas got refused so it seems like they are being checked.

The biggest priority for us is ensuring the safety of the pilgrims.

Nankana Sahib is a city in Punjab, Pakistan where Guru Nanak was born and started preaching. This city houses alot of sikh families. Many sikhs belonging from Afghanistan or other parts of Pakistan, where they faced religious persecution, shifted here for better self protection.

Could this place become a potential hot bed for religious conflict?

Why did the Pakistani govt lets Sikhs from Afghanistan settle in any part of Pakistan? They should have been sent to India.

Absolutely. And I will go further the number of visas Pakistan grants to Indians to visit holy sites in Pakistan should be the same as the number of visas India grants to Pakistanis to visit holy sites in India.

I read that over 500 visas got refused so it seems like they are being checked.

The biggest priority for us is ensuring the safety of the pilgrims.

Wrong. The biggest priority is or should be the safety of Pakistanis. If there is even a 0.1% chance security risk, then that person should be rejected from visiting.

Why did the Pakistani govt lets Sikhs from Afghanistan settle in any part of Pakistan? They should have been sent to India.

Interesting point. Makes me wonder the converse logic too as in, why did many of the Sikhs from Afghanistan choose to settle in Pakistan and not in India. What year did this settlement occur, around the 1980s (Operation Blue Star)?

If it does then blame those Pakistanis who support Khalistan. Such idiot's don't realize that Khalistan's map includes Lahore as it's capital. They can never have Lahore but any group of militants can certainly cause a lot of trouble.

If it does then blame those Pakistanis who support Khalistan. Such idiot's don't realize that Khalistan's map includes Lahore as it's capital. They can never have Lahore but any group of militants can certainly cause a lot of trouble.

Good point

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for top level spies to cause carnage. There were bombings around same time last year.. The Spy is a great movie and it just seems idiotic that two countries in a virtual war and the weaker one gives them a passage. Truly incredulous

Back