Is RCB the most unfortunate franchise in the history of league cricket or is it just the Kohli effect holding them back?

Is RCB the most unfortunate franchise in the history of league cricket or is it just the Kohli effec

• Total voters
Kohli has been brilliant this season like he has been most seasons. He is not the reason for RCB’s poor returns. Far from it.

RCB winning the IPL will be one the greatest moments in cricket and I hope it happens during Kohli’s playing career. No player is more deserving of an IPL trophy than him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gavaskar was in no mood to let Kohli get away for speaking out against commentators, saying if his strike rate was low he deserves to be criticised.

'If you have a strike rate of 118, you come and face the first ball, and then you get out in the 14th or 15th over and your strike rate is 118 -- if you want applause for that, then that's a little bit different,' the batting great told Star Sports.
Mad respect to Gavaskar for not backing down and calling a spade, spade. Kohli needs to be cut to size. He always thought the Indian cricket is his ancestral property.

Kohli has been brilliant this season like he has been most seasons. He is not the reason for RCB’s poor returns. Far from it.

RCB winning the IPL will be one the greatest moments in cricket and I hope it happens during Kohli’s playing career. No player is more deserving of an IPL trophy than him.
Yeah, we cannot say that kohli has been the reason for their defeats. Their batting was always top class but the main thing they are lacking is Bowling I guess, They have been pretty mediocre when it comes to selecting a bowling line-up. Management needs an overhaul in RCB IMO.

Not gonna happen as long as Kohli is in the team. 15-16 seasons of evidence disagree. Really there is just overwhelming evidence to suggest that Kohli and RCB will not win IPL.

Kohli got kicked out as Indian team captain and rohit won every thing ?? (no disrespect to rohit) did not rohit loose t20, world test champion ship, asia cup and 2023 odi final with pitch doctoring( expecting AUS to bat first on slow/sluggish pitch) .
Rohit’s abysmal record as Indian cricket captain doesn’t justify Kohli’s even more abysmal records. At least Rohit won IPl and other tournaments to justify taking a punt on him. What did Kohli ever win to justify giving him longer rein as captain?

Generally RCB has lacked patience in terms of roster development and almost always never seem to have balance in their side. I believe the core problems are:

- The lack of a strong Indian core, particularly in batting. This creates a reliance on foreign players to fill out the batting. Even then I don't remember a season where RCB has had a great middle order.

- The reliance on foreign players for batting also impacts their bowling strength. Apart from 2021, when they had both Hazelwood and Hasaranga, you have always felt that RCB bowling is light. Even this season you could see this play out - because they had to play 3-4 foreigners always in their batting, they couldn't afford to have more than one foreign bowler.

- This season they had a pretty good Indian bowling core, but have suffered due to strange selection tactics. For example, they didn't play a leg spinner for many games, and the arrival of Karn Sharma immediately made their bowling more potent. Similarly Vyshak bowled well in the few chances he got, and has performed well in domestic - strangely, he has barely gotten any games this season.

It might be easy to blame Kohli for RCBs bare trophy cabinet, but for the most part he has been a solid performer across seasons albeit without consistent support.

Kohli was like a god with bat in 2016. Averaged 76 in Tests, 92 in ODIs, 106 in T20is, He made 973 runs in the IPL. That year changed his life as a cricketer. The also reached the final.

No team has bottled a final chase like this.

Gayle/KOhli 114/0 in 10.2 overs chasing 209

Essentially they needed 95 runs in 9.4 overs with following guys to come in

ABDV, KL Rahul, Watson, Sachini baby, Stuart Binny, Chris Jordan Iqbal Abdulla

They lost by 9 runs against bowling of Bhuvi, Barinder san, Ben Cutting, Fiz, Henrqiues, Bipul.
Ben cutting won man of the match for a cameo and 4 tight overs.

I think RCB should try Virat as captain again.

With such a fantastic captaincy record he might get RCB back on track.

4gsJXP7.jpeg

The things with Kohli in RCB is that the whole set up, team works to make Kohli look good. Winning tournaments or matches even is secondary many times. Kohli has had unparalleled (not the only one but very huge) say and influence in getting the players who play for RCB. The Women’s RCB team already one tournament while Kohli couldn’t do it for so many years. The common denominator in all the failures is Kohli and how he has influenced the team so far.

I am so glad Kohli got kicked out as Indian Team captain. The way Kohli plays now, there is no reason to select him for T20 World Cup except the sentiments about his past great innings. Unfortunately Father Time doesn’t wait for no one. Time to move on from Kohli for both RCB and ICT. Will they have the guts? Doubt it.

Chris Gayle himself in an interview stated that the entire RCB management focuses way too much on the A listers like Kohli, Gayle, ABD but they ignored the rest of the squad and in fact even created a haves vs haves not situation. The most successful T-20 teams have an entire unit playing together and being treated like one.

Kohli rohit jadeja- these guys are done. If I was tcb management- i would not pick kohli in the next auction. Also maybe make the chinnaswamy track very very bowler friendly rank turner or exaggerated seam deck- just to change things.

I think RCB should try Virat as captain again.

With such a fantastic captaincy record he might get RCB back on track.

4gsJXP7.jpeg
It is not that batting is the problem for RCB. It is always other departments, especially bowling. RCB needs to fix their bowling otherwise they will stay unfortunate every season, which they are not. They are just focusing on their batting and have no interest in making their bowling department better.

Back