Is 'unpredictable' a synonym for 'Pakistan Cricket'?

WebGuru

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Is 'unpredictable' a synonym for 'Pakistan Cricket'? Lose games that you expect them to win and win the ones you don't expect them to!</p>— Aakash Chopra (@cricketaakash) <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketaakash/statuses/396342404703203328">November 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't think we are unpredictable anymore. Our bowling is predictably good, or batting is "predictably" weak. Just the exposure of weakness varies from match to match and that more often than not determines the outcome of our matches.

Yea it's not unpredictable when it's about Pakistan bowling

Iain O'Brien reply to Aakash tweet:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Or, win from losing positions and lose from winning.... <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketaakash">@cricketaakash</a></p>— Iain O'Brien (@iainobrien) <a href="https://twitter.com/iainobrien/statuses/396344432687341568">November 1, 2013</a></blockquote>

I don't think we are unpredictable anymore. Our bowling is predictably good, or batting is "predictably" weak. Just the exposure of weakness varies from match to match and that more often than not determines the outcome of our matches.

Agreed 100% here. It's not the same unpredictable Pakistan anymore where team used to chase down big totals time to time. It's very predictable now.

They're just constantly flirting with the fine line between being a lower-4 team and descending into minnowship.

Nope because we can predict the failures with ease.

An ODI series win over India; clean-swept in South Africa; a tie with Ireland; a series win in the West Indies; wiped out at the Champions Trophy; an ODI and Test loss to Zimbabwe; a Test win against South Africa; an ODI caning against South Africa; a historic ODI triumph in South Africa; is there anything to be gained, let alone any sanity to be retained, from even trying to assess Pakistan this year?

This sums up 2013 for Pakistan. Another year full of unpredictability .

source

We are unpredictable because when our batting does perform and gets a massive score people would expect our bowlers to win easily but our bowlers become trundlers when defending a big score

Pakistan does very well in UAE and very bad when playing away. It's very predictable in test format. Unpredictable arguments has some legs in ODI for sure.

Last edited:
Look at the first Test of this series and than the third test. You will get your answer ;)

We are the most unpredictable team in the history of the game. May even get to be in the entire sport world. :p :p

I really wouldnt expect south africa to win like this, let alone pakistan. What did they eat?

Probably that negativity from Sri Lanka spurred them on. It was a good chase on last day but not great by any means like many are claiming considering the type of bowling attack Pakistan was facing. If it was against South Africa or Australia then fine.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Only one team is capable of playing like this...that's Pakistan. From the sublime to the ridiculous and back to the sublime. All in 5 overs!</p>— Aakash Chopra (@cricketaakash) <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketaakash/statuses/440153002200940544">March 2, 2014</a></blockquote>

Pakistan does very well in UAE and very bad when playing away. It's very predictable in test format. Unpredictable arguments has some legs in ODI for sure.
You have been proven wrong matey..................

Probably that negativity from Sri Lanka spurred them on. It was a good chase on last day but not great by any means like many are claiming considering the type of bowling attack Pakistan was facing. If it was against South Africa or Australia then fine.

Only a hater would say that.

a sweet disease TBH!

That makes this game all the sweeter to follow. I must say the anger,the love ,the frustration and the unpredictability will always bring me to Pakistan cricket.
Cricket ka bohot bara thrill hai pakistan.

We can lose chasing 7 from 40 with 6 wickets and we can win chasing 300 in two sessions batting faster then any team. :p :D

bhai attraction he yahi hai.

Last edited:
The makes this game all the sweeter to follow. I must say the anger,the love ,the frustration and the unpredictability will always bring me to Pakistan cricket.

And thn they say Big 3 dont need Pakistan ;)

This desease seems to be getting bigger and bigger. LOVE IT.

However i am afraid to say that i wont be able to follow Pakistan cricket 40 years from now as i will be 60 and will end up with a heart attack. Bhai jawan dil abhi paglo ki tarah darakhta hai tu os age mai tu gaya.

They are predictably unpredictable.

Whenever they're on top, they will proceed to mess it up, and whenever they are down and out, they will fight out of nowhere.

It still catches you by surprise though.

This desease seems to be getting bigger and bigger. LOVE IT.

However i am afraid to say that i wont be able to follow Pakistan cricket 40 years from now as i will be 60 and will end up with a heart attack. Bhai jawan dil abhi paglo ki tarah darakhta hai tu os age mai tu gaya.

Yeah they keep this up i am not crossing 60. This match must have taken a few years from my life. :D

What a team :)))

I can't believe how easy we made such a tough run chase look. One moment you're in despair after we get bowled out for 138 in Colombo and the next moment you're celebrating our greatest ever run chase of 377.

One step maddening, one step conquering... #PakistanCricket

It is called being inconsistent, and you are inconsistent because you can't maintain a high level of performance, and you can't do that because you are mediocre.

Pakistani fans have historically preferred to romanticize this inconsistency and mediocrity by calling it "unpredictability".

No it is not. This term is just used to sugarcoat our fallacies and our inconsistent performances. Keep on celebrating being below average

The unpredictable pakistan team did it again and gave a shock to many :)))

Lost against 8th ranked Windies only to bounce back and beat number 1 ranked England in next match.

:bow:

Nothing unpredictable about winning a game after 12 consecutive defeats. We predictably poor with an odd great performance every now and then.

This glorification of unpredictably (inconsistency) has to end.

Congratulations and Eid Mubarak.

Mighty for sure11 win team England coined by most pundit, how could they lose? They weren't supposed to lose. All this batting might? Welcome to Cricket. :)

Nothing unpredictable about winning a game after 12 consecutive defeats. We predictably poor with an odd great performance every now and then.

Look at the fannboy of England well your team lost twice to Pakistan in a row at the biggest stage when they were favorites to win. Bad day for you

This guy is now relying on the law of averages for solace!

Love it!

:)))

This guy is now relying on the law of averages for solace!

Love it!

:)))

It's sad to see Mamoon doing this i mean why can't we celebrate one match for now and think about future later? Sports is all about enjoying the current moment

It's sad to see Mamoon doing this i mean why can't we celebrate one match for now and think about future later? Sports is all about enjoying the current moment

It’s a negative state of mind which cannot be corrected but enjoyed when Pakistan win when they were not expected to.

I’m pretty new to PP and all i’ve seen you do for the last month is pointing out negatives. Come on man...

D8KB1O-VsAIojI9.jpg:small

Ha..ha... Unpredictable, mercurial... Indeed. Happy for all the pakistani fans today... You guys deserved this win for keeping faith with this team despite all the losses over the last few months.

But what is more important is how they go from here... I think Sri Lanka is up next. Don't mess that up.

Quote from BBC:

Pakistan, renowned for veering from shambolic to sublime in global tournaments, will look to continue their resurgence in Sri Lanka in Bristol on Friday.

England suffered a stunning upset at the hands of inspired Pakistan in their second World Cup match at Trent Bridge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48504940

But the nayseryers are focused on bilateral series and fail to realize that when it comes to ICC tournaments, Pakistan are the most dangerous side in the world!

PPers know more than the professionals? Surely not!

Quote from BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48504940

But the nayseryers are focused on bilateral series and fail to realize that when it comes to ICC tournaments, Pakistan are the most dangerous side in the world!

PPers know more than the professionals? Surely not!

1 World Cup win since 1975. I am sure other countries will love Pakistan to continue to be the most dangerous side in the world in tournaments.

How is Pakistan more dangerous than Australia at ice tournaments?

Simply because Pakistan is unpredictable, where as Australia are predictable. You can fully prepare for predictability, but not unpredictability, this makes Pakistan the most dangerous side in ICC tournaments. I mean 105 all out vs West Indies, then beating England at the same ground within 72 hours!

1 World Cup win since 1975. I am sure other countries will love Pakistan to continue to be the most dangerous side in the world in tournaments.

Others will love Pakistan more than you ever will. :19:

PS: 1 WC more than your England team!

Last edited:
This one probably was more predictable after 1st innings. These 2 teams have played 4 games in similar condition a month back, and 4 times ENG won despite PAK posting 340+ (3 times) and almost 300 once. More or less, all 4 games were close and Poms had the better of the key moments every time. And, PAK dropped crucial catches all through in that series. Today's game was also very close, but this time PAK had the advantage from ENG's crucial drop.

Overall, despite 4-1 results, I think the gap between ENG & PAK is less than many other teams with PAK - PAK does play better against Poms and does it even better in UK. Either, Poms are not that good as they look or PAK is way better than the recent trend - but this was a big win definitely.

Overall, despite 4-1 results, I think the gap between ENG & PAK is less than many other teams with PAK - PAK does play better against Poms and does it even better in UK. Either, Poms are not that good as they look or PAK is way better than the recent trend - but this was a big win definitely.

This

Simply because Pakistan is unpredictable, where as Australia are predictable. You can fully prepare for predictability, but not unpredictability, this makes Pakistan the most dangerous side in ICC tournaments. I mean 105 all out vs West Indies, then beating England at the same ground within 72 hours!
What's the relation of predictability and dangerness? I mean Australia of 2000 's was the most predictable team ever. Is this Pakistan team more dangerous than that Australian team?

The magnitude of this one win is bigger than the importance of all twelve games prior to this, so shush little one.

Others will love Pakistan more than you ever will. :19:

PS: 1 WC more than your England team!

No one rates England as a strong tournament team, not even England itself. That is why the feel this is their golden chance of winning a World Cup.

The magnitude of this one win is bigger than the importance of all twelve games prior to this, so shush little one.

Yes, we have a history of winning games of high magnitude, and that is why we have only made two World Cup finals since 1975.

What's the relation of predictability and dangerness? I mean Australia of 2000 's was the most predictable team ever. Is this Pakistan team more dangerous than that Australian team?

I just explained the relation above.

Don't worry yaar, you can join Mamoon and dispel the opinions of professionals who state Pakistan is the most dangerous side in an ICC tournament.

Yes, we have a history of winning games of high magnitude, and that is why we have only made two World Cup finals since 1975.

Talking about this game in the context of what the team needed after the first game. As always, keep giving everyone history lessons on cricket you weren't even old enough to watch, makes you sound extremely smart!

I just explained the relation above.

Don't worry yaar, you can join Mamoon and dispel the opinions of professionals who state Pakistan is the most dangerous side in an ICC tournament.

The most dangerous side is the most powerful one or in cricket who wins the most. It's Australia by far

No one rates England as a strong tournament team, not even England itself. That is why the feel this is their golden chance of winning a World Cup.

You do! And England do too! Not just in this and previous WC (England in 3 finals and lost all 3), but CT tournaments too! It's just England have never won either tournament.

1975?

1 WC and runner up in 1

1 WT20 and runner up in 1

1 CT

Many other Tournaments victories and away Test series wins especially against 'England'

Number 1 Ranking in Tests/ODI/T20

Being the only force against Windies when others had no idea what to do.

Starting from 1950s I guess we achieved far more in cricket thn England with a history of centuries can ever dream...

Don't forget to let us know when 'fav' England get out of their Ashes bubble and get close to what we achieved. For starter they need to win this WC because this is the 5th time they are hosting a WC so now they should at least win one.

Bad day for Mamoon . England beaten by Pakistan. And 'show off' Shadab playing a crucial role by getting imp wickets of Roy & Root and scoring some crucial runs down the order.

Talking about this game in the context of what the team needed after the first game. As always, keep giving everyone history lessons on cricket you weren't even old enough to watch, makes you sound extremely smart!

By his logic West Indies should be favourites in 2019 because they have won 2 World Cups and were in 3 finals! :)))

1975?

1 WC and runner up in 1

1 CT

Many other Tournaments victories and away Test series wins especially against 'England'

Starting from 1950s I guess we achieved far more in cricket thn England with a history of centuries can ever dream...

Don't forget to let us know when 'fav' England get out of their Ashes bubble and get close to what we achieved. For starter they need to win this WC because this is the 5th time they are hosting a WC so now they should at least win one.

Please do not ruin Mamoon's day. :)))

First sign of losing an argument - dismiss an opinion because the person is younger than you. I find it interesting how selectively this line of argument is used, and you wouldn’t have used it in the first place if you could defend your cliche that “Pakistan always performs in games of high magnitude”. A complete and utter myth.

[/b]

First sign of losing an argument - dismiss an opinion because the person is younger than you. I find it interesting how selectively this line of argument is used, and you wouldn’t have used it in the first place if you could defend your cliche that “Pakistan always performs in games of high magnitude”. A complete and utter myth.

It is other way around.

You gave up by accusing him to try to hide your lack of wisdom and your weak argument.

[/b]

You lost today in more ways than one.

Yesterday you were claiming Pakistan is mediocre and predictable in loses.

Today you masquerade behind the veil of sanity by claiming Pakistan was due a win based on the law of averages.

Your best shot at saving grace is to dissect an argument on the grounds of pedantry.

Be a man and say it how you feel - today's victory was a fluke.

1975?

1 WC and runner up in 1

1 CT

A completely irrelevant post. We are not comparing the achievements of Pakistan and England over the course of history. Yes historically, Pakistan has achieved more than England especially in Limited Overs.

The topic on hand is the so-called unpredictability of Pakistan, which is a myth that I have dispelled over and over again in the last few days, and I am more than happy to do it again.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose every single Test match in Australia for 23 years and counting.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t win 1 World Cup in 11 attempts and counting.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose over 80% of its ODI series in the last 13 odd years.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose to India in every World Cup game.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose 12 matches in a row.

I can give many, many examples of how Pakistan has been predictably poor.

What does unpredictability even mean? It is nothing but a fancy word for inconsistency, and there is nothing great about being inconsistent.

Pakistan is a mid-table team and not good enough to be among the top 3 teams in the world. However, it is capable of beating the top teams on rare occasions, and that is not something to be proud of.

Pakistan is not more unpredictable than a team like Sri Lanka or West Indies (excluding their golden period). Sri Lanka have been terrible for years now, but they still won a Test series in South Africa earlier this year.

Had Pakistan won their series, our fans would be praising them for being unpredictable. Similarly, in spite of struggling in this millennium and reaching almost minnow status, West Indies have won more trophies than any team after Australia. Do you see their fans calling them unpredictable and cornered tiger etc.?

Pakistani fans are the only fans in cricket, or perhaps in sport, that celebrate inconsistency.

Rather than becoming an unbeatable
team and winning 13 matches in a row, Pakistani fans would rather have their team lose 12 matches and then produce a shock win so that they can do bhangra on how unpredictable they are, and how Pakistan cricket always surprises you.

Pakistan will never be a top, elite team if they don’t get out of this rubbish mentality - we need overcome this cliches of unpredictability and cornered tigers and strive for consistency.

We should be predictability good and we should not get cornered in the first place. Unfortunately, this rotten mentality has infected not only the fans but also the players as well.

On the eve of the World Cup, Sarfaraz claimed that it is good that Pakistan is unpredictable. That is a complete nonsense statement - unpredictability is never good, and to see the national captain make a statement like that exposes our mentality.

As a nation, we need to collectively realize that unpredictability is not something to be proud of. We talk about it as if it is a great quality of Pakistan cricket, but it is not. It is actually a weakness.

Unless and until we change our mentality and stop celebrating inconsistency, we can never hope to becoming the best team in the world.

A completely irrelevant post. We are not comparing the achievements of Pakistan and England over the course of history. Yes historically, Pakistan has achieved more than England especially in Limited Overs.

The topic on hand is the so-called unpredictability of Pakistan, which is a myth that I have dispelled over and over again in the last few days, and I am more than happy to do it again.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose every single Test match in Australia for 23 years and counting.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t win 1 World Cup in 11 attempts and counting.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose over 80% of its ODI series in the last 13 odd years.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose to India in every World Cup game.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose 12 matches in a row.

I can give many, many examples of how Pakistan has been predictably poor.

What does unpredictability even mean? It is nothing but a fancy word for inconsistency, and there is nothing great about being inconsistent.

Pakistan is a mid-table team and not good enough to be among the top 3 teams in the world. However, it is capable of beating the top teams on rare occasions, and that is not something to be proud of.

Pakistan is not more unpredictable than a team like Sri Lanka or West Indies (excluding their golden period). Sri Lanka have been terrible for years now, but they still won a Test series in South Africa earlier this year.

Had Pakistan won their series, our fans would be praising them for being unpredictable. Similarly, in spite of struggling in this millennium and reaching almost minnow status, West Indies have won more trophies than any team after Australia. Do you see their fans calling them unpredictable and cornered tiger etc.?

Pakistani fans are the only fans in cricket, or perhaps in sport, that celebrate inconsistency.

Rather than becoming an unbeatable
team and winning 13 matches in a row, Pakistani fans would rather have their team lose 12 matches and then produce a shock win so that they can do bhangra on how unpredictable they are, and how Pakistan cricket always surprises you.

Pakistan will never be a top, elite team if they don’t get out of this rubbish mentality - we need overcome this cliches of unpredictability and cornered tigers and strive for consistency.

We should be predictability good and we should not get cornered in the first place. Unfortunately, this rotten mentality has infected not only the fans but also the players as well.

On the eve of the World Cup, Sarfaraz claimed that it is good that Pakistan is unpredictable. That is a complete nonsense statement - unpredictability is never good, and to see the national captain make a statement like that exposes our mentality.

As a nation, we need to collectively realize that unpredictability is not something to be proud of. We talk about it as if it is a great quality of Pakistan cricket, but it is not. It is actually a weakness.

Unless and until we change our mentality and stop celebrating inconsistency, we can never hope to becoming the best team in the world.

Irrelevant pigeon holing coupled with bellows of hollow cries.

Test matches, ODI bilateral series, are irrelevant when it comes to ICC tournaments. Case in point, England lost to Pakistan today, despite beating Pakistan 4-0 in a bilateral series. Even the SKY pundits disagree with you.

Do you ever pay heed to your own words?

You lost today in more ways than one.

Yesterday you were claiming Pakistan is mediocre and predictable in loses.

Today you masquerade behind the veil of sanity by claiming Pakistan was due a win based on the law of averages.

Your best shot at saving grace is to dissect an argument on the grounds of pedantry.

Be a man and say it how you feel - today's victory was a fluke.

A team that has lost 20 out of its last 25 matches is the most predictable team in the world.

It is predictably rubbish, because it consistently loses. Winning matches is almost like winning a lottery for them.

The fact that you are even attempting to argue about the so-called unpredictability of this team when it has lost 80% of its last 25 matches exemplifies the rotten mentality of Pakistani fans and how vulnerable they are to cliches.

A team that has lost 20 out of its last 25 matches is the most predictable team in the world.

It is predictably rubbish, because it consistently loses. Winning matches is almost like winning a lottery for them.

The fact that you are even attempting to argue about the so-called unpredictability of this team when it has lost 80% of its last 25 matches exemplifies the rotten mentality of Pakistani fans and how vulnerable they are to cliches.

Show off Shadab with an excellent performance with the ball too, damn law of averages hit hard!!

Irrelevant pigeon holing coupled with bellows of hollow cries.

Test matches, ODI bilateral series, are irrelevant when it comes to ICC tournaments. Case in point, England lost to Pakistan today, despite beating Pakistan 4-0 in a bilateral series. Even the SKY pundits disagree with you.

Do you ever pay heed to your own words?

“Irrelevant pigeonholing” because it inconveniently exposes the unpredictability label.

Also, you need to make up your mind - is Pakistan an unpredictable team in general, or is Pakistan an unpredictable team in ICC tournaments specifically?

It appears that in light of the facts that I have presented, you are changing your tune because you can no longer defend the claim that Pakistan is unpredictable in general.

Back