Is 'unpredictable' a synonym for 'Pakistan Cricket'?

A team that has lost 20 out of its last 25 matches is the most predictable team in the world.

It is predictably rubbish, because it consistently loses. Winning matches is almost like winning a lottery for them.

The fact that you are even attempting to argue about the so-called unpredictability of this team when it has lost 80% of its last 25 matches exemplifies the rotten mentality of Pakistani fans and how vulnerable they are to cliches.

Yawn.

Yet it is you who uses the law of averages to justify Pakistan's win today, but now claim winning matches is almost like winning a lottery for them.

Make you mind up.

Show off Shadab with an excellent performance with the ball too, damn law of averages hit hard!!

Again, an average of almost 40 against non-minnows suggests that he is a poor bowler, who just had a good day.

If he can replicate it consistently, he will no longer be considered a minnow basher. It is quite simple.

“Irrelevant pigeonholing” because it inconveniently exposes the unpredictability label.

Also, you need to make up your mind - is Pakistan an unpredictable team in general, or is Pakistan an unpredictable team in ICC tournaments specifically?

It appears that in light of the facts that I have presented, you are changing your tune because you can no longer defend the claim that Pakistan is unpredictable in general.

Grow a pair. Which part of my stance did you not understand? - Pakistan are an unpredictable team. These are not just my words, but words or professionals in the cricketing sphere.

You have not produces any facts. You are entitled to opinions but not to facts.

Stop making a fool of yourself. I maintain Pakistan is unpredictable, and you agree, wait for this, your words, drum role please - Winning matches is almost like winning a lottery for them.

I dare you to claim wining the lottery is predictable.

Again, an average of almost 40 against non-minnows suggests that he is a poor bowler, who just had a good day.

If he can replicate it consistently, he will no longer be considered a minnow basher. It is quite simple.

Yes I agree with you! Me too instead of celebrating this win I’m sat here arguing with PP posters telling them we’re rubbish and we shouldnt be happy.

Yawn.

Yet it is you who uses the law of averages to justify Pakistan's win today, but now claim winning matches is almost like winning a lottery for them.

Make you mind up.

You can call it Law of Averages, lottery, fluke or whatever. The point is that a team that has lost 20 out of 25 matches is not unpredictable by any measure.

You can call it Law of Averages, lottery, fluke or whatever. The point is that a team that has lost 20 out of 25 matches is not unpredictable by any measure.

No, YOU, yes YOU, relied on the laws of averages to justify Pakistan's win today.

Then YOU, yes YOU, claimed the win is like a lottery. Yes YOU.

Make your mind up.

Mamoon using law of averages to justify Pakistan’s win today.

Nothing unpredictable about winning a game after 12 consecutive defeats. We predictably poor with an odd great performance every now and then.

Is the next breath, Mamoon believes Pakistan win is akin to winning the lottery.

It is predictably rubbish, because it consistently loses. Winning matches is almost like winning a lottery for them.

On one hand here is nothing unpredictable about Pakistan, on the other hand Pakistan winning is almost like a lottery.

Mamoon cannot muster the courage to even claim Pakistan's victory was fluke! If he cannot abide by the nonsense he professes, then why should we pay heed to what he has to say?

Dysthymia - look it up folks.

Grow a pair. Which part of my stance did you not understand? - Pakistan are an unpredictable team. These are not just my words, but words or professionals in the cricketing sphere.

You have not produces any facts. You are entitled to opinions but not to facts.

Stop making a fool of yourself. I maintain Pakistan is unpredictable, and you agree, wait for this, your words, drum role please - Winning matches is almost like winning a lottery for them.

I dare you to claim wining the lottery is predictable.

I have presented facts which you have duly ignored because they expose the myth that Pakistan has some magical powers of unpredictability that other teams don’t, which is nonsense.

Typing in italics and bold will not strengthen your argument. Winning a lottery is all about getting lucky. It is a fluke.

Pakistan have lost 80% of its matches since 2018, and it has an 80% losing record against the top teams in ODIs since 2006.

This shows that on average, Pakistan gets thrashed by the top teams 8 out of 10 times, a team that loses 80% of its games is not predictable by any means. However, on average, it gets lucky about 20% of the time.

Now before you accuse of me not giving Pakistan credit and calling its wins lucky, let me explain.

When you lose 80% of your matches to superior sides, you are clearly much weaker than them. This means that unless the better teams underperform, you don’t stand a chance of winning.

If England, India, Australia etc. play to their maximum capacity or close to their maximum capacity in every match against Pakistan, we will not win a single game, and that is how 12-0 happened.

However, it is not possible to play your best cricket every game and on average, they don’t play their best cricket against us about 20% of the time, which is when we win.

I have presented facts which you have duly ignored because they expose the myth that Pakistan has some magical powers of unpredictability that other teams don’t, which is nonsense.

Typing in italics and bold will not strengthen your argument. Winning a lottery is all about getting lucky. It is a fluke.

Pakistan have lost 80% of its matches since 2018, and it has an 80% losing record against the top teams in ODIs since 2006.

This shows that on average, Pakistan gets thrashed by the top teams 8 out of 10 times, a team that loses 80% of its games is not predictable by any means. However, on average, it gets lucky about 20% of the time.

Now before you accuse of me not giving Pakistan credit and calling its wins lucky, let me explain.

When you lose 80% of your matches to superior sides, you are clearly much weaker than them. This means that unless the better teams underperform, you don’t stand a chance of winning.

If England, India, Australia etc. play to their maximum capacity or close to their maximum capacity in every match against Pakistan, we will not win a single game, and that is how 12-0 happened.

However, it is not possible to play your best cricket every game and on average, they don’t play their best cricket against us about 20% of the time, which is when we win.

You got schooled by your own words. The above is nothing but damage control.

No, YOU, yes YOU, relied on the laws of averages to justify Pakistan's win today.

Then YOU, yes YOU, claimed the win is like a lottery. Yes YOU.

Make your mind up.

Mamoon using law of averages to justify Pakistan’s win today.

Is the next breath, Mamoon believes Pakistan win is akin to winning the lottery.

On one hand here is nothing unpredictable about Pakistan, on the other hand Pakistan winning is almost like a lottery.

Mamoon cannot muster the courage to even claim Pakistan's victory was fluke! If he cannot abide by the nonsense he professes, then why should we pay heed to what he has to say?

Dysthymia - look it up folks.

Again, Caps, italics, bold and using medical terms after studying biology in A-levels don’t strengthen your argument.

Since Pakistan is a mediocre side, its success against the top teams depends on how the said top teams fare on a given day.

Law of Averages dictates that the top teams cannot play their best cricket against Pakistan every game, which is why they win about 80% of the time. Hence, whenever they don’t produce their best cricket (which is about 20% of the time) is a lottery for our team.

Yesterday was one of those days, where Roy, Bairstow, Morgan, Stokes and Archer all failed, which is a very rare occurrence.

You got schooled by your own words. The above is nothing but damage control.

Your two line response implies otherwise. When it comes to a debate between facts and myths/cliches, the facts will always win.

You clearly cannot reconcile the unpredictability tag with a losing record of 80%. They are mutually exclusive.

You fought well though, I appreciate your effort.

Again, Caps, italics, bold and using medical terms after studying biology in A-levels don’t strengthen your argument.

Since Pakistan is a mediocre side, its success against the top teams depends on how the said top teams fare on a given day.

Law of Averages dictates that the top teams cannot play their best cricket against Pakistan every game, which is why they win about 80% of the time. Hence, whenever they don’t produce their best cricket (which is about 20% of the time) is a lottery for our team.

Yesterday was one of those days, where Roy, Bairstow, Morgan, Stokes and Archer all failed, which is a very rare occurrence.

The guy needs help. From claiming a win is lottery, to claiming Pakistan win 20% of the time (thanks to other teams not performing) is a lottery. You heard it here first folks. 1 in 5 chance is a lottery. Only in Mamoon's deluded world. Yup, Pakistan lost 11 ODIs, what is 1 in 11? Certainly not 1 in 5!

Alas! Notice how Mamoon has now resorted to the format of a post. The sign of a man who not only is intellectually bankrupt, but reduced to format criticism to bolster an argument.

1 in 5 is a lottery in Manoom's world. Oh my!

Last edited:
A completely irrelevant post. We are not comparing the achievements of Pakistan and England over the course of history. Yes historically, Pakistan has achieved more than England especially in Limited Overs.

The topic on hand is the so-called unpredictability of Pakistan, which is a myth that I have dispelled over and over again in the last few days, and I am more than happy to do it again.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose every single Test match in Australia for 23 years and counting.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t win 1 World Cup in 11 attempts and counting.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose over 80% of its ODI series in the last 13 odd years.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose to India in every World Cup game.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose 12 matches in a row.

I can give many, many examples of how Pakistan has been predictably poor.

What does unpredictability even mean? It is nothing but a fancy word for inconsistency, and there is nothing great about being inconsistent.

Pakistan is a mid-table team and not good enough to be among the top 3 teams in the world. However, it is capable of beating the top teams on rare occasions, and that is not something to be proud of.

Pakistan is not more unpredictable than a team like Sri Lanka or West Indies (excluding their golden period). Sri Lanka have been terrible for years now, but they still won a Test series in South Africa earlier this year.

Had Pakistan won their series, our fans would be praising them for being unpredictable. Similarly, in spite of struggling in this millennium and reaching almost minnow status, West Indies have won more trophies than any team after Australia. Do you see their fans calling them unpredictable and cornered tiger etc.?

Pakistani fans are the only fans in cricket, or perhaps in sport, that celebrate inconsistency.

Rather than becoming an unbeatable
team and winning 13 matches in a row, Pakistani fans would rather have their team lose 12 matches and then produce a shock win so that they can do bhangra on how unpredictable they are, and how Pakistan cricket always surprises you.

Pakistan will never be a top, elite team if they don’t get out of this rubbish mentality - we need overcome this cliches of unpredictability and cornered tigers and strive for consistency.

We should be predictability good and we should not get cornered in the first place. Unfortunately, this rotten mentality has infected not only the fans but also the players as well.

On the eve of the World Cup, Sarfaraz claimed that it is good that Pakistan is unpredictable. That is a complete nonsense statement - unpredictability is never good, and to see the national captain make a statement like that exposes our mentality.

As a nation, we need to collectively realize that unpredictability is not something to be proud of. We talk about it as if it is a great quality of Pakistan cricket, but it is not. It is actually a weakness.

Unless and until we change our mentality and stop celebrating inconsistency, we can never hope to becoming the best team in the world.
Top post. Truth hurts. And the truth is Pak is now a borderline minnow with an odd glory here and there.

For example: we haven’t beaten Aus in an ODI series since 2002.

Got whitewashed twice or three times since CT 17 if you count Eng’s recent 4-0. Got humiliated in Asia Cup.

I feel the current bunch of players have what it takes to be a consistent side. A better leader or management may bring the best out of them.

We make fun of SA of being chockers but in reality we have become THE King of chockers.

Last edited:
It is other way around.

You gave up by accusing him to try to hide your lack of wisdom and your weak argument.

LOL, thank you for posting this before I could post this. I have to admit it's fun to rile up this know - it-all young one on mubarak days like this one but I'll let it go 😜.

[MENTION=131701]Mamoon[/MENTION] is back writing long posts trying to convince everyone that this team isn't good enough. Wait, isn't this what he said he doesn't have the passion to do anymore in another thread?

Enjoy the win lads, and rub it in to such losers till they give up and disappear. We may well get knocked out in the next two games, but let's have some fun here :yk

Players are unpredictable that is why team is unpredictable. Not long ago Amir was not even in the squad due to lack of wickets in recent times. Pak players have the habit of going from mediocre to world class in a matter of one match. Same with Wahab. Although he was very expensive he won crucial moments for Pakistan.

I hear you say this trademark average of 40 against non-minnows a lot and so I checked his average against top teams. Yes he averages 37 against India, South Africa, New Zealand, and England combined. However, that average of yours is inflated way to much because of that one bad series he had against South Africa. If you exclude South Africa he averages what I would call a very respectable 32 for a "minnow basher." One bad series against South Africa does not make him a minnow basher and plus he is only young so he has a lot to learn and improve.

Don't understand how someone can bash a 20 year old kid who has obviously got potential and going to improve. Whilst at the same time praising an overweight, unfit cricketer in Imad Wasim who is 30+ and averages over 55 with the ball, and has super inflated his average with a plethora of not outs. Now your second argument may be Imad is a slower version of Amir and his job is to contain, however, his economy rate against top teams apart from South Africa is 5.45. That's worse than Shadab's average against the same team which is 5.01.

You gotta be kidding me The Law of Averages is just a spurious belief. If you are seriously trying to use that to explain Pakistan's win today there isn't something right up there dude.

You gotta be kidding me The Law of Averages is just a spurious belief. If you are seriously trying to use that to explain Pakistan's win today there isn't something right up there dude.

If you look at Pakistan’s W/L ratio against the top sides in the last 15 odd years, it is awful. This is also highlighted by the fact that the last time we were ranked in the top 2 was in 2006.

When you have not been ranked in the top 2 for 13 years and counting, what does that say about you as a team?

In addition, you can count on one finger the number of series we have won against the top sides.

We can brush aside all of that because of our dark era under Misbah, but under the captaincy of the inspiring leader Sarfaraz, the so-called PSL superstars have lost 20 out of 25 matches since 2018.

There are two ways of dealing with this:

(a) we can accept the bitter truth that we are an emphatically mediocre team that loses to the top sides more often than not.

(b) we can make sad attempts to hide our mediocrity with cliches. We can claim that we are unpredictable, mercurial, a cornered tiger because amid all the spanking, thrashing and pounding, we tend to produce a shock win every now and then.

Please note that by “you” I am not addressing you personally; I am referring to Pakistani fans collectively.

Pakistani fans are the only set of fans that have the gall to call their team unpredictable when they lose 80% of their matches against the top sides.

This unpredictability nonsense would have some credibility if we would win about 50% of our matches against the top sides.

That is when you can open your list of cliches and call Pakistan a dangerous time and how you don’t know which Pakistan will turn up.

With a winning record of 20%, Pakistan is not unpredictable, it is not dangerous and more often than not, you can tell which Pakistan will turn up - it will be the flat tyre version.

I hear you say this trademark average of 40 against non-minnows a lot and so I checked his average against top teams. Yes he averages 37 against India, South Africa, New Zealand, and England combined. However, that average of yours is inflated way to much because of that one bad series he had against South Africa. If you exclude South Africa he averages what I would call a very respectable 32 for a "minnow basher." One bad series against South Africa does not make him a minnow basher and plus he is only young so he has a lot to learn and improve.

Don't understand how someone can bash a 20 year old kid who has obviously got potential and going to improve. Whilst at the same time praising an overweight, unfit cricketer in Imad Wasim who is 30+ and averages over 55 with the ball, and has super inflated his average with a plethora of not outs. Now your second argument may be Imad is a slower version of Amir and his job is to contain, however, his economy rate against top teams apart from South Africa is 5.45. That's worse than Shadab's average against the same team which is 5.01.

Imad is no champion all-rounder, but his batting is better than Shadab’s. Our standards of all-rounders are pitiful.

Not long ago, the so-called “real fans” were hyping up a dud like Faheem and we’re ignoring the so-called pessimists who saw him for what he is, a nothing cricketer and an all-round failure.

As far as Shadab is concerned, he is not good enough to be a frontline spinner and his batting is not good enough to play as an all-rounder.

It is not just the South African series - even in the Asia Cup in UAE, we saw how inferior he was compared to other Asian spinner.

People can make excuses because he is young, but we will see where he stands in 3-4 years time.

Top post. Truth hurts. And the truth is Pak is now a borderline minnow with an odd glory here and there.

For example: we haven’t beaten Aus in an ODI series since 2002.

Got whitewashed twice or three times since CT 17 if you count Eng’s recent 4-0. Got humiliated in Asia Cup.

I feel the current bunch of players have what it takes to be a consistent side. A better leader or management may bring the best out of them.

We make fun of SA of being chockers but in reality we have become THE King of chockers.

We are a deluded nation. In all spheres of life, we always make excuses and deflect our shortcomings on others.

In cricket, our justification for our mediocrity is that we are unpredictable, we are cornered tigers, Pakistan cricket is a roller-coaster ride and other such drivel.

This is pseudoscience! Where did the 80% and 20% ratios come from? What is the definition of mediocre, why does this “theory” assume a passive role for Pakistan’s own performance in determining the outcome of a game. How many times does a batting side have two centuries and yet lose the game? What does the law of averages say about that?

Sorry to say but poor analysis, with half baked ideas, made up numbers and contradictory logic.

This is pseudoscience! Where did the 80% and 20% ratios come from? What is the definition of mediocre, why does this “theory” assume a passive role for Pakistan’s own performance in determining the outcome of a game. How many times does a batting side have two centuries and yet lose the game? What does the law of averages say about that?

Sorry to say but poor analysis, with half baked ideas, made up numbers and contradictory logic.

These are not made up numbers. It is based on our W/L ratio and the fact that we have lost 20 out of 25 matches since 2018.

The only disproven theory and half baked logic is the notion that Pakistan is an unpredictable or a dangerous team. Only Pakistani fans are capable of calling their team unpredictable after losing 20 in 25.

If this is unpredictability, then I wonder what predictability looks like.

We are a deluded nation. In all spheres of life, we always make excuses and deflect our shortcomings on others.

In cricket, our justification for our mediocrity is that we are unpredictable, we are cornered tigers, Pakistan cricket is a roller-coaster ride and other such drivel.

Can your law of averages explain how a “mediocre” side has won the ICC WC, the ICC CT, the T20 WC and attained the status of the top ranked Test side in the world? There is no mediocrity in this track record! Yes between these highs they have been low ebbs but most mediocre sides like NZ, SA, WI, SL would have loved to achieve the same over the same period.

Imad is no champion all-rounder, but his batting is better than Shadab’s. Our standards of all-rounders are pitiful.

Not long ago, the so-called “real fans” were hyping up a dud like Faheem and we’re ignoring the so-called pessimists who saw him for what he is, a nothing cricketer and an all-round failure.

As far as Shadab is concerned, he is not good enough to be a frontline spinner and his batting is not good enough to play as an all-rounder.

It is not just the South African series - even in the Asia Cup in UAE, we saw how inferior he was compared to other Asian spinner.

People can make excuses because he is young, but we will see where he stands in 3-4 years time.

I agree with the fact that we need another spinner in the side with Shadab but Shadab is more than good enough right now and it would make no sense after having invested in him for two years to drop him. He's shown signs of his potential and once he's played more matches especially tests he will only develop. For now we need to pair him up with a proper spinner and not duds like Imad Wasim for who cricket should have a new bowling bracket "Slow Medium Darter."

As for Faheem I don't know what to say I never personally rated him never really liked him but that guy was an embarrassing cricketer to watch play. He's been mediocre throughout his career which shows there is no room for improvement for him. It's different with Shadab though.

Last edited:
Can your law of averages explain how a “mediocre” side has won the ICC WC, the ICC CT, the T20 WC and attained the status of the top ranked Test side in the world? There is no mediocrity in this track record! Yes between these highs they have been low ebbs but most mediocre sides like NZ, SA, WI, SL would have loved to achieve the same over the same period.

For a cricket mad country with 200m population and the second largest talent pool in the game, these are the bare minimum achievements.

Pakistan cricket has been in decline since mid 90’s, and that is hardly any cricketer who has debuted post 2000 (except Younis and maybe Babar in ODIs) has a legit claim at walking into our all-time XI.

Our standards are so low that our leading centurion in ODIs has only 20 tons, and we have not produced a single WK batsman who was remotely world class.

Even our number 1 Test ranking was bogus. We got the Mace because of a washout between India and West Indies, and that is why we lost it to India in just about three weeks.

South Africa have been far, far better than us excluding ICC events, and even New Zealand have been more consistent against the better sides.

Is doing better than Sri Lanka achievement? They are a tiny island nation with less population than Karachi and Lahore combined, and they have been riding on the success of a handful of elite cricketers.

In spite of having far, far less resources than Pakistan, their two best cricketers (Muralitharan and Sangakkara) are comfortably better than the best batsman and spinner in our history.

Similarly, West Indies almost reached minnow level in the 2000s and 2010s, but 2020s seem to be a decade of resurgence for them.

Pakistani fans are the only set of fans that have the gall to call their team unpredictable when they lose 80% of their matches against the top sides.

This unpredictability nonsense would have some credibility if we would win about 50% of our matches against the top sides.

That is when you can open your list of cliches and call Pakistan a dangerous time and how you don’t know which Pakistan will turn up.

With a winning record of 20%, Pakistan is not unpredictable, it is not dangerous and more often than not, you can tell which Pakistan will turn up - it will be the flat tyre version.
It is dangerous if that 20% comes on a knockout day, and one of the top teams is unexpectedly thrown out of the tournament. Time to fall back on your favourite word in the dictionary buddy :yk

A completely irrelevant post. We are not comparing the achievements of Pakistan and England over the course of history. Yes historically, Pakistan has achieved more than England especially in Limited Overs.

The topic on hand is the so-called unpredictability of Pakistan, which is a myth that I have dispelled over and over again in the last few days, and I am more than happy to do it again.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose every single Test match in Australia for 23 years and counting.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t win 1 World Cup in 11 attempts and counting.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose over 80% of its ODI series in the last 13 odd years.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose to India in every World Cup game.

A team that is unpredictable doesn’t lose 12 matches in a row.

I can give many, many examples of how Pakistan has been predictably poor.

What does unpredictability even mean? It is nothing but a fancy word for inconsistency, and there is nothing great about being inconsistent.

Pakistan is a mid-table team and not good enough to be among the top 3 teams in the world. However, it is capable of beating the top teams on rare occasions, and that is not something to be proud of.

Pakistan is not more unpredictable than a team like Sri Lanka or West Indies (excluding their golden period). Sri Lanka have been terrible for years now, but they still won a Test series in South Africa earlier this year.

Had Pakistan won their series, our fans would be praising them for being unpredictable. Similarly, in spite of struggling in this millennium and reaching almost minnow status, West Indies have won more trophies than any team after Australia. Do you see their fans calling them unpredictable and cornered tiger etc.?

Pakistani fans are the only fans in cricket, or perhaps in sport, that celebrate inconsistency.

Rather than becoming an unbeatable
team and winning 13 matches in a row, Pakistani fans would rather have their team lose 12 matches and then produce a shock win so that they can do bhangra on how unpredictable they are, and how Pakistan cricket always surprises you.

Pakistan will never be a top, elite team if they don’t get out of this rubbish mentality - we need overcome this cliches of unpredictability and cornered tigers and strive for consistency.

We should be predictability good and we should not get cornered in the first place. Unfortunately, this rotten mentality has infected not only the fans but also the players as well.

On the eve of the World Cup, Sarfaraz claimed that it is good that Pakistan is unpredictable. That is a complete nonsense statement - unpredictability is never good, and to see the national captain make a statement like that exposes our mentality.

As a nation, we need to collectively realize that unpredictability is not something to be proud of. We talk about it as if it is a great quality of Pakistan cricket, but it is not. It is actually a weakness.

Unless and until we change our mentality and stop celebrating inconsistency, we can never hope to becoming the best team in the world.

You are bang on here with this post, however, that shouldn't stop us Pakistan fans from being delighted with the win. That's the beauty of sport, we just beat the favourites for the World Cup, we have a right to be happy as we love Pakistan and we love cricket. When something this good happens, it's hardly a basic human response to nit pick and look for reasons to be sad. But overall you are right and if I had to pick a winner between you and [MENTION=149166]Technics 1210[/MENTION] it would be you as all of your points are bang on and the harsh reality.

Unpredictable = Sugar coated word for "Inconsistent" :))

We are predictible loosers against top teams and we won only on the the bad of other big teams.
Pakistan loss 4:0 to England in the previous series and England batting never struggle much against us because they are top team but their is also some bad days for everyone and on 3rd June England 5 world class have an off day that is why we won.

Only one win again change the mind of Pakistani fans, again we bacome favorite for world cup, we are a big match team.

A lot of things have to go our way in order to defeat the big boys. But at least we're beating them when it counts

Only one win again change the mind of Pakistani fans, again we bacome favorite for world cup, we are a big match team.
Is bhai ko mirchh lag gayi hai :kp

Relax, no one is saying Pakistan is the best team in the world. They deserve to be happy about a good win over a very good team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Back