Is winning a Test series in India bigger than winning the Ashes for England?

Rajdeep

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
Well, Ben Stokes think it his greatest win till date as captain.
----
----

England’s epic 28-run victory over India in Hyderabad left spectators stunned as Ben Stokes hailed it as his "greatest triumph as captain" to go one up in the five-match series.

The tourists completed a thrilling victory after vice-captain Ollie Pope notched a sensational 196 and debutant Tom Hartley (7-62) finished with a seven-wicket haul.

Stokes' decision to stick with Hartley after an expensive opening spell of bowling in the first innings raised some questions. But he repaid Stokes' faith in him by skittling India's top and middle order before holding his nerve at the death.

“Since I’ve taken captaincy on we've had some great victories and this is 100 per cent our greatest triumph since I've been captain,” Stokes said.

"To be honest, it's my first time here being in charge of a team in India and captain in these conditions. You may not see it, but I am a great observer of the game. I watched a lot of how Rohit Sharma set the field. I think that may have been obvious with our approach.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Brits and the Aussies aren't India, they take their ancient rivalries seriously. For India the pinnacle might be playing against England and Australia, but for those countries the Ashes will always be the greatest and most fiercely contested series.

That's not to say that it isn't a challenge to win in India, but then it was a challenge to win in Pakistan as well until recent history. We Brits snigger at how important you guys think it is to play us while devaluing your own local "Ashes " due to petty one-upmanship.

Based on the statement from England captain yesterday, a win in India is surely regarded in higher regard or atleast on par with the Ashes. There is a reason Channel 4 took the right to cover the series last time, a terrestrial TV showing cricket series after 2005 Ashes.

Again, I already said winning in India is a significant achievement, not easy to beat them on their own turf. But you asked if it was bigger than winning the Ashes, and that's a clear no.

Winning the game in India is always a big deal because nobody gets that much of home advantage as India does after making the hell like spinning troughs... so yeah beating them in their Home Ground is quite a big deal

To be honest if you offered me either an away series win in India or winning an Ashes series in Australia, I would almost always go for the latter. An Ashes series at home v a series against India away is a closer call.

Ashes series has a long history. It started in 19th century.

India started to be dominant only recently. Even that dominance may not be a thing in near future (because of possible retirements of Kohli, Rohit, Jadeja, Ashwin, Bumrah etc.).

So, answer to the thread question is "no". Ashes is probably still the most important series for England and Australia.

Based on the statement from England captain yesterday, a win in India is surely regarded in higher regard or atleast on par with the Ashes. There is a reason Channel 4 took the right to cover the series last time, a terrestrial TV showing cricket series after 2005 Ashes.

Stokes was referring to the nature of the win , not only because of the location. Being so many runs behind to win on a rank turner with very low bounce is a great feat.

If you ask any Englishman if they would prefer to win away series in India or Aus, it will always be Aus.

Ashes series has a long history. It started in 19th century.

India started to be dominant only recently. Even that dominance may not be a thing in near future (because of possible retirements of Kohli, Rohit, Jadeja, Ashwin, Bumrah etc.).

So, answer to the thread question is "no". Ashes is probably still the most important series for England and Australia.
India has always been dominant at home. In the 90s, we didn't lose a single home series.
But yes, the ashes trumps everything else

To be honest if you offered me either an away series win in India or winning an Ashes series in Australia, I would almost always go for the latter. An Ashes series at home v a series against India away is a closer call.

Fair statement James. This is the most accurate post.

More to do with conditions such as 4th day pitches on the opening day, than anything more profound

Fair statement James. This is the most accurate post.

For me personally - and not all England fans, but a fair few I’d imagine, this would be the order of importance:

1. Win the Ashes in Australia
2. Home Ashes win = win a Test series in India
3. Other Test cricket
4. 50/20 over World Cups
5. Other limited overs cricket

None of the leagues can reach the standards of the Ashes but yeah at the level where India has reached now, winning a test on their home ground is always a big deal.

England have sort of exceeded expectations in India. But they haven't come close to winning a single test in Australia since 2010. An away test win in Australia itself will have more value for them.

England have produced some good performances in the past in India. But still, Ashes has more value for them than this India series.

No. Ashes is still the pinnacle for Aus and England because of the pedigree and historical significance.

India only became a next level fortress in the last few years. But it would be the second most significant series for both now.

But facing Pakistan in a final is the biggest test for any side in any format still. Finals Pakistan can only be beaten by Pakistan themselves.

No. Ashes is still the pinnacle for Aus and England because of the pedigree and historical significance.

India only became a next level fortress in the last few years. But it would be the second most significant series for both now.

But facing Pakistan in a final is the biggest test for any side in any format still. Finals Pakistan can only be beaten by Pakistan themselves.
Agreed. Ashes is something else. No bilateral series can match it until India vs Pakistan is here. Still Ashes is a historical series and cannot be matched

Ashes will always remain the premium contest in Test cricket because you see competition there but in India we mostly see single dimensional wickets which always give benefits to the host country.

Ashes will always remain the premium contest in Test cricket because you see competition there but in India we mostly see single dimensional wickets which always give benefits to the host country.

Yes great competition..5-0, 4-0 and 4-0 in the last three Ashes down under.

Only in England it's competetive.

Winning an away Ashes series is celebrated more than winning a World Cup when it comes to Australia or England. Most Australian fans would exchange their 2023 World Cup win for an away Ashes win in England. Same for England...

It's all about what you've won more. Australia haven't won an away series in England since 2001. Since then, they have won 4 ODI World Cups, 1 T20 WC, 1 WTC and 2 Champions Trophies.

India will most likely always remain a second choice behind the Ashes for Aus/Eng.

Not sure why it matters. Current England team wants to win everywhere. Winning is good. But when it comes to "Not losing" Ashes is going to be at top of their list.

It's his greatest win as captain.

He hasnt won any test match as captain in Australia. So we will see what he rates that win if he ever achieves it.

Yes great competition..5-0, 4-0 and 4-0 in the last three Ashes down under.

Only in England it's competetive.

Indeed, which is why an away series win in Australia for England feels like the final frontier.

I think England have only won 5 Ashes series in Australia in the postwar era, which considering how often the teams have played each other, is rather slim pickings.

Although England did beat Australia in Australia in 2010/11, which is more recent than the last Australian series win in England, which I believe was 2001.

England have sort of exceeded expectations in India.

Would it be fair to say that England have been one of the better away sides in India over the years? Despite some very heavy defeats, they’ve at times been quite competitive.

Would it be fair to say that England have been one of the better away sides in India over the years? Despite some very heavy defeats, they’ve at times been quite competitive.
Indeed.

They equaled the series in 2006.
Should have won the only test in 2008 if Tendulkar didn't bat like god on that day 5 Chennai track.

Comprehensively beat India in 2012-13.
2016 was the only series where they were not competitive.

Even in 2021 they won the first test on a typical Indian pitch and forced India to resort to some never seen before rank turners.

Not even close

Winning in Australia is the ultimate for English cricket fans — the hype around the Ashes draws in casual fans (and even some who don’t follow the game at all).

Its why the captains who have won there — Hutton, Illingworth etc have almost legendary status in the minds of English cricket fans (something Morgan will never have, despite winning the World Cup).

That said, after Australia, India is the most prized win abroad.

For Indians at this point even though there is no rivalry winning in SA is one thing they want to achieve no matter how bad their side is.

Ashes will rank as the most important cricketing victory for all English fans, 1)Winning a test series against Australia away, 2)Winning a test series against Australia at home... daylight... 3) Winning ICC tournaments, in that order.

Albeit as a cricketing achievement beating India at home is the ultimate challenge in my opinion.

They have been given absolute pastings in Australia as of late. Even winning one test there let alone a series surpasses winning a series in India

Doing well in the Ashes home or away will always be bigger than anything else for England

They have been given absolute pastings in Australia as of late. Even winning one test there let alone a series surpasses winning a series in India

The Ashes in Australia has been ridiculous over the last 20 years.

I know it’s a bit silly to subtract wins, but just for a moment, take out the 3-1 to England in 2010/11, and the other four recent series have been won 18-0 by Australia, with just 2 draws.

Even in the 90s when England were getting a shoeing in Australia they’d usually return home having had their moment and won a Test.

Back