Jonny Bairstow - another talented England player

IAJ

T20I Star
Runs
Post of the Week
What an amazing confidient young man he is. I saw him for the first time today and was really impressed with him. He just looks so much better that Stokes who struggled against India. Maybe because of the injured finger.

Let's see if he can take England home!

his hitting is like Abdul Razzaq. very clean hitter.

He singlehandedly won the game for England, those sixes were invaluable and proved to be the final killing punches against the Indians.

Ge's also WK. England can use him in Tests (FC average nearly 50) in the near future.

I saw cricket after some time and I must say that Eng has got a Serious Talent in this guy. What a mature head on a 21 yr old. He should go a long way. I am Very impressed! Rng is the best team no doubt. They are the most balanced!

effortless hitter

that was a breath of fresh air lol

especially that straight six off kohli

exciting future

stokes,taylor,butler

Don't know what happened to England cricketing infrastructure, but they're producing so many talented players at the same time (batsmen and bowlers), it's quite amazing really.

cricinfo:

"This run chase will be remembered for Bairstow's stunning debut knock, however, as he showed a calm head and tremendous hitting power in his 21-ball 41".

anybody can hit Indian bowlers.... But he looked like a really good batsman..

India nr 5??????? Pak should play well vs England and Sri Lanka....

Eng are giving opportunities to young talent to claim top spot, whereas Pak are trying by recalling FARHAT!!!

The kid can whack it :razzaq

But it appears his main pedigree is his stodginess in the longer format of the game :nasser

exciting prospect!

he is a really good player! that straight six off virat kohli was beautiful :razzaq

Does it take talent to score runs against an Indian attack? :23:

Guy is a clean hitter. Good prospect for England.

For me, he won them the match.

There was a point where the Englishmen looked as though they had an unreachable target to conquer, considering the overs they had left.

Then came in Bairstow, and along with Bopara, snatched the match away from India.

Also, his very pleasing to the eyes.
Although the expression on his face made him look like he was in constant pain :p

I remember his dad, who was a very fine keeper. He would have played far more for England had he not been around at the same time as Alan Knott and Bob Taylor.

It was a quality knock and certainly showed that he had a cool head.

Having said that, I'm not really going to hype these players too much regarding this series, the bowling was county standard so, imo, it was just another county performance by him.

Will be interesting to see how he does in India where the conditions will be a lot different.

If he was Pakistani we would have a thousand threads. It just shows our paucity of talent when people consider somebody as limited as Azhar Ali as potential captain.

If he was Pakistani we would have a thousand threads. It just shows our paucity of talent when people consider somebody as limited as Azhar Ali as potential captain.

salman butt was our captain whats the point ? and its pakpassion and its obvious that pakistani players will be hyped more.

He was on fire! No... Not his hair.

He came out onto the crease in a very tough situation where England had just lost a key wicket, RR was creeping up and Bopara had only faced around 3-4 deliveries.

BUT the young debutant remained composed, fully focused and 'tactically' did very well indeed. He sure knows how to strike the ball cleanly... Some of the big shots where a joy to watch. Also I'd like to note... Him running between the wickets was simply outstanding and just shows the amount of pace he has in him.

He may have produced a eye catchy performance against a weak side BUT still it's a achievement to do produce 40 runs against a World cup winning side, interesting to see if he produces the same performances in the near future. One to keep an eye on.

He was on fire! No... Not his hair.

He came out onto the crease in a very tough situation where England had just lost a key wicket, RR was creeping up and Bopara had only faced around 3-4 deliveries.

BUT the young debutant remained composed, fully focused and 'tactically' did very well indeed. He sure knows how to strike the ball cleanly... Some of the big shots where a joy to watch. Also I'd like to note... Him running between the wickets was simply outstanding and just shows the amount of pace he has in him.

He may have produced a eye catchy performance against a weak side BUT still it's a achievement to do produce 40 runs against a World cup winning side, interesting to see if he produces the same performances in the near future. One to keep an eye on.
which is current world champion :))) :))) :)))

which is current world champion :))) :))) :)))

:))

On a serious note... I would have stated 'World Champions' BUT to be fair, India are missing few players that are considered as first and key first team players who contributed alot in the World cup winning side, in 2011.

Injuries and lack of luck has hit India hard... Very hard.

wales normally a bit spinner friendly but with rain and wet ball its pretty much a batters ground. bairstow looked really good but it was more a mental test than a technical test. he should play the t20s against wi, eng should put in all youngsters, im pretty sure they would still win.

Impresive innings under pressure but the media is going overboard with him.

It was one innings and I have seen Luke Wright, Mascharenas, Bopara and a few others hit cleanly but being able to do it regularly is another thing. Media may well set him up to fall as he needs to do it a few more times to be hyped as the next big hitter.

Saying that, I wish him luck.

Yorkshire!!

Exactly one month younger than me.

A fantastic innings :afridi

That's one business-class ticket to the UAE booked already.

IS he purely an english? something must be south african, probably his GF?

Not quite funny Jibran, the old jokes about the SA connection have worn a bit thin now, particularly since the influx of the new English lads, recently blooded.
Good to see the interest and great knowledge of posters on this site. Will enjoy visiting often in the build up to the series in the UAE.

Not quite funny Jibran, the old jokes about the SA connection have worn a bit thin now, particularly since the influx of the new English lads, recently blooded.
Good to see the interest and great knowledge of posters on this site. Will enjoy visiting often in the build up to the series in the UAE.

Welcome to the forums! Good to have you aboard. As a forewarning, it can become mildly addictive...

Looks really talented, didn't think he'd do too well considering his list-a average compared to his first class average but he proved me wrong.

He hit the ball so cleanly.

Still think Taylor is the best talent coming for England.

Don't know what happened to England cricketing infrastructure, but they're producing so many talented players at the same time (batsmen and bowlers), it's quite amazing really.

The two-division championship is forcing up the standard of competitiveness. There are no meaningless matches now, so the cricketers have to fight harder instead of just doing enough to keep getting picked.

Looks really talented, didn't think he'd do too well considering his list-a average compared to his first class average but he proved me wrong.

He hit the ball so cleanly.

Still think Taylor is the best talent coming for England.

Taylor is probably moving to Notts, so expect him to be playing for Eng by next summer.

Bairstow looks like a fine prospect, but people are getting way over excited. I've even seen some posters (not here) claiming he should be in the test side. ***, have these people been watching any test cricket recently? There's no way he's on the same level as Matt Prior, not at this time anyway.

I'd rather see him in the limited overs team over Keiswetter, purely because he hasn't already represented another country at youth level.

He has played another explosive knock today.
I wish him good luck to destroy India once again in ODIs explosively......................

I remember his dad, who was a very fine keeper. He would have played far more for England had he not been around at the same time as Alan Knott and Bob Taylor.

Yes time catches up with us all when you can remember current players' fathers playing....in terms of the current English team can add Tremlett, Broad and now Bairstow.

Very sad what happened to his father.

Really enjoyed his innings today.

Looks a very talented batsman.

He carried the England innings today; England have found themselves another great batsman.

He looks a real talent in this format. Needs to play more 50ovrs to see how good he really is.

Played Afridi really well in the middle overs which might turn out to be a key moment if Eng go on to win.

Very impressive batsmen, looks ideally suited to ODIs and T20s.

Bairstow sucked badly in India against Sir Jadeja , How did he get away from Afridi and Ajmal? This is shocking. Good luck to him though.

Was the difference between the two teams today

A very accomplished innings

Agree he was the main difference.

Brilliant innings, a great talent.

Picked the spinners and played some great shots! A treat

Great innings and a strikingly mature knock. Well played.

I love this guy cos he's from Yorkshire. He tore it up the season before last I think it was. Averaged 40 odd with the bat and he can keep. Instant Yorkshire hero. England do have quite a few youngsta beauties.

Too early to say probably but he definitely played Ajmal n co. better than he did against Indian spinners. Surely he's learning quickly. Good prospect for England.

Played really well, was an assured innings. If england dont manage to win the world cup with the generation of players they have coming up, i dont think they ever will.

Always been a special talent - and of course a tough nut mentally. That is what realy stood out about his innings - that he held it together whilst wickets were falling around him.

Don't think he will go down the Adil Rashid route - the other supremely talented yorkshire schoolboy. Hopefully Adil will come back stronger next season.

Like the look of him. Improving his keeping and batting. In LOI he deserves a chance as well butler can play as keeper and bairstow can slot in the middle order

This guy is fast-approaching the 'A-class' tier of the England batting lineup, currently occupied only by Cook and Root. It doesn't feel like a purple patch of form either - he is clearly just a very solid, adaptable and aggressive player.

Another fine player fed to England by Yorkshire CCC :D

This guy is fast-approaching the 'A-class' tier of the England batting lineup, currently occupied only by Cook and Root. It doesn't feel like a purple patch of form either - he is clearly just a very solid, adaptable and aggressive player.

Another fine player fed to England by Yorkshire CCC :D

Improved massively. I think if he was just allowed to concentrate on his batting only he can be even better

Bairstow might struggle in Australia or South Africa on bouncier wickets, SL did try to target him with short balls but Headingley's not the place to be bowling short as it sits up nicely for the batsmen.

However he coped well in seaming conditions in the First Test. A Headingley upbringing will stand you in good stead to deal with lateral movement.

Really likeable lad too, hope he does well. I'm sure his sadly late dad will be proud of him.

Australia will be a big challenge for him over a 5-Test series, i.e can he cope with the bounce and bed in for a long innings that will support a team score of 500+... I think that he can, but lots to prove away from England for him still.

Bairstow might struggle in Australia or South Africa on bouncier wickets, SL did try to target him with short balls but Headingley's not the place to be bowling short as it sits up nicely for the batsmen.

However he coped well in seaming conditions in the First Test. A Headingley upbringing will stand you in good stead to deal with lateral movement.

Really likeable lad too, hope he does well. I'm sure his sadly late dad will be proud of him.

He won't struggle. Naturally in very good position to play the short ball.

Last edited:
In the next few years, it will be between him and de Kock for the best WK batsman in the world title.

That's what a great domestic system does, keeps on producing great players even though cricket is like the 3rd fav sport in England

still long way to go
haven't been tested yet properly, haven't played much at international

Got 150 in SA. I think he'll be fine in Australia.

Well played Jonny Bairstow

Stood there for 147 deliveries, stood their with Woakes, what an innings he played. Showed he has temperment.

Just goes on to show those knocns against sri lanka were no flukes, this guy has the right temperment to play test cricket.

He grind Pakistan well today

But he will always be yasirs bunny

Back