JP Duminy - The ultimate minnow basher

LegCutter

First Class Captain
Runs
Some interesting stats:

In 89 matches, JP Duminy has an average of 41 with 15 50s and 2 centuries, and 20 not-outs.

Quite impressive, right?

Yes, but just look closely

Non-Minnows

vs England: 15
vs Sri Lanka: 18
vs New Zealand: 25
vs Australia: 37
vs India: 35

Admittedly, against Aussies and Indians he's been quite impressive; but wait till you look at this:

vs Minnows

vs Bangladesh: 51
vs Ireland: 99
vs Kenya: 100
vs West Indies: 91
vs Zimbabwe: 102

Still an impressive player, but boy, does he whoop minnows :afridi

If you can't whip a minnow then you suck as a player :D I'd be more concerned about the guys who suck against the minnows.

The guy has talent, both in LOI and tests. He played a big part in SA beating the Aussies in Aus, just went through a slump in form after that.

LoL Trundlia getting smashed as usual.

But I remember that spectacular series he had against Aus in 2009.

JP Duminy is south africas salman butt in odis, minus the fixing bit.

Atleast not like other minnow bashers like :hafeez,who bashes Minnows and ducks against Non-Minnows.

Still a really good batsman.

Still a good batsman...id still have him in Pak team

He is okay sort of player......... not a legend type. Still can contribute to his team.

He helped SA chase a 400+ total vs Aus in 2009 (they were a whole lot better then). So he maybe a minnow basher but he's not a bad player of quality attacks.

He is a good player, a poor man's Raina which is not a bad thing because Raina is a terrific limited overs cricketer.

Please let me know what's Duminy's average without minnows, and then compare it to some other decent players...

He is a good player, a poor man's Raina which is not a bad thing because Raina is a terrific limited overs cricketer.

:))) :)))

JP duminy has an average of 40 in ODIs as compared to Raina's 36 in ODIs. While their t20 averages are same, JP duminy is a much better prospect in tests/

Please let me know what's Duminy's average without minnows, and then compare it to some other decent players...

I think the OP made it clear that he does well against top teams but becomes a monster vs minnows

JP duminy has an average of 40 in ODIs as compared to Raina's 36 in ODIs. While their t20 averages are same, JP duminy is a much better prospect in tests/

Now that I think of it, both are eerily similar - in the fielding and part-time dart throwing as well.

Duminy chokes though, Raina doesn't.

Now that I think of it, both are eerily similar - in the fielding and part-time dart throwing as well.

maybe, but calling him a poor man's Raina is a joke.

And if you consider chocking, than ABDV, Smith, are all chokers but why bring that up?

You've lost your mind, as usual. They're about par as ODI batsmen, but Duminy is a much better test batsman. Raina is a poor man's Duminy.

Nah, Raina is better than Duminy.

Duminy is a classic chocker, Raina is very good under pressure and he is a better fielder although both are brilliant.

I remember Duminy's tuk tuk against Gul and rookie Aamir in the T20 SF and made 3 (12) in the QF of the 2011 WC.

Raina took the game away from the opposition in both the QF and SF of the 2011 World Cup. He's a pressure player.

Actually its fashionable to subvert Indians and pamper Saffers these days, who are the flavor of the month.

You've lost your mind, as usual. They're about par as ODI batsmen, but Duminy is a much better test batsman. Raina is a poor man's Duminy.

I guess you've lost your comprehension skills. I clearly mentioned the fact that Raina is a terrific limited overs cricketer.

maybe, but calling him a poor man's Raina is a joke.

And if you consider chocking, than ABDV, Smith, are all chokers but why bring that up?

All Saffers are chokers, including Amla.

His stellar ODI record went for a walk in the most important ODI of his career to date.

the 2011 World Cup QF.

But we are comparing two individuals here.

Duminy is a classic chocker, Raina is very good under pressure and he is a better fielder although both are brilliant.

I remember Duminy's tuk tuk against Gul and rookie Aamir in the T20 SF and made 3 (12) in the QF of the 2011 WC.

Raina took the game away from the opposition in both the QF and SF of the 2011 World Cup. He's a pressure player.

Actually its fashionable to subvert Indians and pamper Saffers these days, who are the flavor of the month.

true, raina>>> amla, de villiers, kallis any day

Ah, a T20 fanboy. It all makes sense now.

Ah, a T20 fanboy. It all makes sense now.

I am not a T20 fan boy, but matter of fact is choking is choking regardless of the format.

Duminy didn't under perform deliberately did he?

He didn't have the nerves to handle the pressure.

I am not a T20 fan boy, but matter of fact is choking is choking regardless of the format.

Duminy didn't under perform deliberately did he?

He didn't have the nerves to handle the pressure.
Couldn't give a crap to be honest. He's a much better test match player than Raina, and that makes him better. End.

Both are handy part-time offies too
Maybe they're clones of each other :yk

Couldn't give a crap to be honest. He's a much better test match player than Raina, and that makes him better. End.

But he is a poor man's Raina in limited overs and that is what I meant :akhtar

By that logic, SL players are better than SA players because SL have done well in SFs, QFS?(Despite failing in Finals)

Duminy is a very good player. Not saying that raina is bad, but I would take Duminy over Raina in my side, because Duminy's overall stats are BETTER and that is a fact. You may argue about the fact that he chokes in LOIs, but his test career has been pretty good if you compare....and there is no scope of bringing the CHOKE factor in tests

By that logic, SL players are better than SA players because SL have done well in SFs, QFS?(Despite failing in Finals)

Duminy is a very good player. Not saying that raina is bad, but I would take Duminy over Raina in my side, because Duminy's overall stats are BETTER and that is a fact. You may argue about the fact that he chokes in LOIs, but his test career has been pretty good if you compare....and there is no scope of bringing the CHOKE factor in tests

The discussion's strictly about LoIs. Raina is a certified failure in tests. But he can improve - still in his mid-20s.

But he is a poor man's Raina in limited overs and that is what I meant :akhtar

His average in ODIs is better by 3 runs, T20 average is lower by 2 runs.

You can say that in LOIs, both are more or less equal. But poor man's raina is bit too much

Lol not only a minnow basher but he is not a pressure player in ODI's.
He usually comes good if the foundation is set. That goes for Faf as well. Atleast he runs himself out, whats JP excuse :)

His average in ODIs is better by 3 runs, T20 average is lower by 2 runs.

You can say that in LOIs, both are more or less equal. But poor man's raina is bit too much

Who would you count on in pressure games?

There lies the answer.

Wow I'm surprised to see this thread on top again, I made it about a year ago. Its become more of a Duminy vs Raina now, but oh well, interesting comparison anyway

Raina.

But a batsman are not always under pressure situations. You have to remember this.

There are plenty players who perform when there is less pressure but not many who can under pressure.

That is why Raina > Duminy.

There are plenty players who perform when there is less pressure but not many who can under pressure.

That is why Raina > Duminy.

Apparently, Nasir hossain is better than almost every batsman, even the likes of Ponting, because he is one of the best performer when it comes to pressure? :facepalm: Not saying that Nasir is short of class, but some players perform well under pressure, some players dont.

Being able to perform under pressure is a big plus, but also, its important to play well even when the pressure is not on you. Top order batsman, who are not necessarily best performers under pressure, are vital to your team as well because they make the job easier for those to come in. Raina is brilliant under pressure when it comes to LOIs, but when it comes to tests he has succumbed to pressure whereas Duminy has done comparatively well.

Apparently, Nasir hossain is better than almost every batsman, even the likes of Ponting, because he is one of the best performer when it comes to pressure? :facepalm: Not saying that Nasir is short of class, but some players perform well under pressure, some players dont.

Being able to perform under pressure is a big plus, but also, its important to play well even when the pressure is not on you. Top order batsman, who are not necessarily best performers under pressure, are vital to your team as well because they make the job easier for those to come in. Raina is brilliant under pressure when it comes to LOIs, but when it comes to tests he has succumbed to pressure whereas Duminy has done comparatively well.

Nasir is not proven much and he may turn out to be a great player who knows.

Raina and Duminy are similar. But Raina has better nerves.

in ODIs, Raina does everything that Duminy does but better.

You are making this comment because you have probably followed a lot of matches involving India, or IPL. I am pretty sure a lot of others think alike.

But those who have also followed JP properly like myself, will know that the guy is a gun player. If that is the case, then I really cant blame you. There are plenty of other batsman as good as raina when it comes to playing under pressure but they seldom get the exposure Raina gets because Raina plays for a country where cricket is followed more closely than religion, and that too with a massive population.

still living of his debut series against oz and played one of the strangest T20 innings against Pak in the semi final.

You are making this comment because you have probably followed a lot of matches involving India, or IPL. I am pretty sure a lot of others think alike.

But those who have also followed JP properly like myself, will know that the guy is a gun player. If that is the case, then I really cant blame you. There are plenty of other batsman as good as raina when it comes to playing under pressure but they seldom get the exposure Raina gets because Raina plays for a country where cricket is followed more closely than religion, and that too with a massive population.

I follow all forms of cricket including IPL.

Raina is better than Duminy for me because he isn't a minnow basher.

Being able to perform under pressure is a big plus, but also, its important to play well even when the pressure is not on you. Top order batsman, who are not necessarily best performers under pressure, are vital to your team as well because they make the job easier for those to come in.

So Raina and Duminy aren't top-order players, they bat at #6 which is a crucial pressure cog in the line-up. One blossoms, the other wilts.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a huge, die-hard fan of Raina or anything like that - just stating that I'd much rather have him than Duminy in my ODI XI.

still living of his debut series against oz and played one of the strangest T20 innings against Pak in the semi final.

Yeah. He has only gone downhill since the 2008-09 tour of Australia.

Looks like performing in Australia at a young age doesn't bode well for the future :umarakmal

Yeah he's mediocre bat in ODIs despite the stats IMO. Decent, not great bat. Goes down to 33 excluding minnows his average. And that's with his average of over 90 against WI included. He does bowl a bit though which adds to his worth, and he's certainly worth his place in the side.

His best performances came in tests against Australia. Incredible talent, think he'll get it back in tests if persisted with.

Raina is a better ODI player than Duminy clearly. Raina has nerves of steel,plays well under pressure and often gets those crucial runs under pressure.

Seen Duminy bottle it so many times when the pressures on in ODIs too. When the SA choke is on, Duminy never usually stands up.

What epic tuk tuking by the minnow basher and poor man's Raina :kapil

He is too scared to take on quality bowlers let alone succeed/fail :asif

What epic tuk tuking by the minnow basher and poor man's Raina :kapil

He is too scared to take on quality bowlers let alone succeed/fail :asif

No tuck tuking from Sir Raina!

There are two kind of pressure situations in ODI's:
1.You have to come in and accelerate from the start.
2.You have to come in and play a long innings because the top order hasn't done so well.

Raina is better in the first one while Duminy is better at the second one.
And overall in cricket, Duminy is a better batsman than Raina.

Nothing to be ashamed of when Sir Jaadu gets you.

Can't even score against us, eh?

One does not simply expect a SAffer to show his class in CT. This is highly unfair

LOL dont even compare duminy and Raina

Duminy played around 90 odd matches and have a SR of 84

Whereas Raina played around 160 matches and have a strike of 92.

I agree JP is better than Raina in tests...

But in ODI's and T20's Raina over Duminy any day of the week...

JP Duminy - The Ultimate Minnow Basher

What a garbage batsman.

Poor man's Raina at best if you are generous.

Give him more games against Netherlands to inflate his stats.

And the minnow-basher isn't aware of the field placement at all. Slaps it straight to the fielder. :))) :91:

He looked positive today, swept his way to a nice 50 but still has mental issues and eventually succumbed to his pet shot.

Looks out of place in the SA batting lineup alongside Petersen and du Plessis.

Decent innings today, but Pakistan have their tails up.

so 100 for minnow basher against johnson harris siddle lyon and co? is it a minnow attack i am wondering!

One innings proves nothing . He is a decent player but usually always saves the best for minnows

Back