Australia reach 221/2 at end of Day 1 of the 2nd Ashes Test against England

Best chance now for England to roar back into the match. Good for them that Aussies haven't run away with the match. 4-5 wickets in this most difficult session of the day for batsmen, and it will be close to an even day.

This Jos butler will lose more tests with his awful wicketkeeping.
He has dropped many important catches as a wicketkeeper.
Slip fielding and wicketkeeping has its own merits in tests.

Labu in his short career has had tremendous luck with dropped catches. We dropped him 7 or more times last Border-Gavaskar series. Now England is being charitable.

Smith wouldn't say no to some of that luck, modern Bradman just needs a bit of luck here and there to kick into beast mode after a quiet 2 years.

Leach was obliterated out of the match. Who else ? Is Dom Bess even on tour? Still feel he should have been given a go.

Why not Moeen Ali or Adil Rashid?

I suppose Root is going to be the spinner in their absence.

One has to be pretty heartless not to have sympathy for a team -10 =1 +0 over the last decade and grinding away to take just a wicket for 129 runs conceded.

No this isn’t what the Ashes is about.

All we care about is beating each other.

Essentially. Lol

Adil i think does not want to play red ball cricket.
Moeen as well i think, has retired from Test Cricket.

I looked at Moeen's stats. He averages 115 per wicket in Australia, so I guess he wasn't a viable option.

I think Australia won't worry too much

In nesser and Richardson they've got 2 swing bowlers who like to bowl that fuller length , could do some damage under the lights they've got starc too

Last edited:
No this isn’t what the Ashes is about.

All we care about is beating each other.

Essentially. Lol

I guess Ashes is appropriately named... English hopes turns to ashes.

Last edited:
Warner has scored over 410 runs on this ground since he was last dismissed here.

Australian management did a good thing by replacing the out of form declining Warner who was struggling against India with this in-form Warner.

I looked at Moeen's stats. He averages 115 per wicket in Australia, so I guess he wasn't a viable option.

Yeah finger spinners are mostly taken apart in Australia.
Lyon, and Ashwin to a certain extent, are exceptions. Even Murali struggled a lot.

Australia are really grinding England down here.

Looking forward to seeing Michael Nesser bowl but it will probably be tomorrow at this rate. Hes been with the squad for about 2 years without getting a chance.

There is a sameness to eng attack. Unless jim grumpy can do some magic under thelights, cant see eng getting too many wickets. They have to strike in the twilight session.
This is where they miss Wood and his extra pace. He would be the guy to hurry labuschange with a few short ones. Also they have no spin bowler.
This is looking like one long hard tour already for eng.
For Aus am looking fwd to see Richardson have a go, exciting prospect.

There is a sameness to eng attack. Unless jim grumpy can do some magic under thelights, cant see eng getting too many wickets. They have to strike in the twilight session.
This is where they miss Wood and his extra pace. He would be the guy to hurry labuschange with a few short ones. Also they have no spin bowler.

You need 140kph pace minimum and some discipline to challenge Aussie batters.
130 kph ain't gonna cut it.

Warner has scored over 410 runs on this ground since he was last dismissed here.

The attack he scored against last was probably the standard of a Shield 2nd XI attack though. This is atleast international standard although not particularly good in these conditions. They are atleast accurate

Last edited:
So much for saving Anderson for Pink ball test. Poor guy should just retire now.

Yeah for some reason they rest Mark Wood far too much. He should be playing most matches.

Very poor over rate. English got points docked in last match as well. If that happens again, then i guess that is it for WTC finals hope of English i guess.

There is no energy in the field from English. This is where i love Virat's approach, does not let the intensity die out in the field.

Really poor shots at this stage to get out .Now floodgates can open under light's.

Typical England getting slaughtered in Australia.

Their record is next to only Pakistan's there.

Smith is in relatively bad form for a long time...avg just 40 in last 6 tests.

Needs a big one here.

Boundary on the leg side look so short or did they hit that so hard that it crossed boundary in no time?

Dont want to Jinx it ....I just feel off all touring teams India just seem to amp up the intensity whilst touring aus.
I just wish we'd had the same intensity in the WTC finals and when we tour NZ.....
Seriously hope we sort out the whole VK, rohit, who sits out the test series and odi series and the useless unwanted clash of saas bahu kilkenny cats soap opera egos, and we toast SAF on ice on their home ground.

This is really some inspid unthreatning bowling by England

They are matching the midget youngster beauties pakistan took to Australia that got hammered to oblivion

No Hazlewood and Cummins. Wow.

Let's see what England can do to this Australian "C side" missing their 2 best bowlers. :angel:

pretty poor stuff with ball for england today, yes Aussies have scored slowly, but i can see them batting 1st two sessions tmoz, then sticking england in underlights. once again poor catching (burns) has let them down.

This is really some inspid unthreatning bowling by England

They are matching the midget youngster beauties pakistan took to Australia that got hammered to oblivion

See A LOT of teams fall trap to doing nothing in the middle session in Adelaide, waiting for the magical night ball rainbow...

Massive illusion. If you don't take 2 wickets session 1 in Adelaide, day or night, you are behind the game. Behind.

And if you seek to "survive" the middle session by resting bowlers to keep them fresh for night-time, cruising through the session etc- then you get eaten alive. It becomes a LONG killer session, when you front up as bowlers without intent, without the will to die for wickets in the Adelaide heat then you blow it. Attitude all wrong. Batters bed in.

Next minute you got 1 wicket session 1, jagged 1 in session 2 and you NEED minimum 4 wickets session 3 just to break even. Vs guys who been batting all day. good luck.

I honestly think the middle session in Adelaide day night is THE key session. It sets up your night session to knock over 4-5 tail end wickets easy at night. Or battle hard vs still the top 4 at night, when it moves but everybody is tired.

Spinner or reverser or just a brute Neil Wagner in that middle session is crucial.

what a drop by buttler. school boy stuff!

utter pathetic.

[MENTION=7774]Robert[/MENTION] [MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] get Foakes in. This experiment with Butler ain't working.

interesting stat from the commentators who mentioned that since the return of labu he has had the fields drop catches 12 times when he has been batting.

Jos Buttler took one of the hardest catches of his career then dropped one of the easiest chances of his career on the same day.

This match is done and dusted in a day . i don't think England have any chance after Australia posting 450 runs in 1st innings.

He dropped labuschange twice today . both were simple chance.

Ridiculous!

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/eggj65" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Ridiculous!

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/eggj65" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Your keeper drops that down in Sunday city & suburban 4th grade, where beers are allowed on the field from over 1... you'd still be filthy the keeper didn't pouch it easy.

FGucl-TWUAUyivN

Whilst england kept the runs down, they bowled to short and lines were poor. Not made batsmen play enough. last session they pretty much wasted the new ball.

tomorrow i can see Aus - Aus 470/6 declared and eng 60/5 at end of day 2.

Looks a horrible day for England (haven't had a chance to watch) and THAT dropped catch. Jeez, Buttler is a bang average keeper but even that was just poor and unexpected.

There should be a setup where the last 2 tests are only to be played if England are competitive.

They're making a mockery of the few 4/5-test series on the calendar. Give it to somebody else instead - like New Zealand.

Marnus Labuschagne (95*) and David Warner (95) ensured that Australia had the upper hand on day one of the second Ashes Test in Adelaide with the score at 221/2.

Winning the toss, stand-in skipper Steve Smith decided to have a bat first. But the first session would prove to be a trial by fire for the hosts as the returning James Anderson and Stuart Broad consistently put the Australian batters under pressure. They were almost metronomic, pitching the ball in the right areas with Marcus Harris and David Warner struggling to keep the scorecard ticking.

After a couple of close calls, England would finally reap the rewards for their discipline. Harris' eyes lit up at a short delivery from Broad, but he failed to get any sort of a decent connection. Jos Buttler then went flying to his right and took a sensational catch as the opener went back to the pavilion for 3.

Broad and Anderson would then continue in the same vein against Warner and Marnus Labuschagne, while Ollie Robinson and Chris Woakes backed them up brilliantly. Ben Stokes would embark on a short ball tactic before lunch as the hosts ended the session on 45/1.

Australia and especially David Warner upped the tempo in the second session. Labuschagne was still nurdling the ball around and leaving the deliveries but the opener was especially severe against the short ball. Anything wide was also punished with aplomb.

Warner would bring up his half-century, his second of the series as Labuschagne also started to look more and more settled at the crease. England were now starting to get exposed as the one-dimensional nature of their bowling attack failed to carve out any substantial openings.

Labuschagne, who was dropped on 21 by Buttler, also brought up his half-century as Australia enjoyed a much more comfortable session adding 84 runs without losing a wicket.

It would again be a struggle in the final session for the visitors, trying to disturb the rhythm in which Warner and Labuschagne found themselves. After almost an hour, an opportunity would finally arise for them.

Warner was edging closer to his century, upping the scoring rate in order to scale the landmark. On 95 though, he would perish with a loose shot which left him in disbelief. Stokes bowled one short and wide trying to incite a rash shot out of the opener and the plan worked to perfection. Warner would end up flat-batting it straight to Broad at covers as England finally had something to celebrate.

Steve Smith then joined Labuschagne on the crease and looked comfortable, with Australia starting to build another steady partnership. Labuschagne, meanwhile, was edging ever so close to his century with the end of day's play looming large. He would be dropped again by Buttler in the 90s: this time off the bowling of Anderson with England left to rue another missed chance.

The pair would see through the rest of the session unscathed with Labuscagne unbeaten on 95 and Smith on 18 as Australia's score stood at 221/2.

With the temperatures set to rise in Adelaide, England now have a big task in hand to wrestle back the control of the game on day two.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/2418426

Broad was very good in the first session. Stokes worked really hard against Marnus. Anderson was okayish. Other 2 hasn't done much.

There should be a setup where the last 2 tests are only to be played if England are competitive.

They're making a mockery of the few 4/5-test series on the calendar. Give it to somebody else instead - like New Zealand.

As if NZ does any better in Aus.

Eng behind here. No intensity in the middle.

This. They're even more horrible in whatever number of tests they get to play in Australia.

Agreed. Nobody does well in OZ nowadays apart from India. I wont back the Saffers to do well either. England are probably not an elite team but they did win a test in India and a series in SA, SL and they haven't been smashed to pieces, yet , in Australia. They are actually an OK touring side.

Back