Khurram Shahzad - International Performance Watch

Firebat

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
The 24 year old fast bowler making his debut in Pakistan's 1st Test against Australia at Perth, receiving his cap from Shaheen:

1702521332782.png1702521343032.png

Started off with a maiden. Let's see how he gets on.

Has been outstanding - 5 overs for 19!

He bowled well as a supporting bowler in the new ball partnership. Shaheen ruined it.

Pace might not be a problem here but the line and length and that dropped catch. Khurram has bowled pretty nicely for a debutant. Other bowlers are all over the place and not supporting him.

Last edited:
Has bowled alright, not given australia a chance to pressure him, even though they tried. Lets see how he bowls with the old ball now.

130k-132k gets you no where in test cricket against big teams unless you can swing/seam it massive on any surface , time to move on from him and Shaheen too (until he get back his pace)
Faheem and Jamal experiment will likely to get over after this test so no worries here.

Just bowled 5 overs and has been the best bowler so far, why move on from him so quickly? Give him some time
But he is bowling at 130-132 on a flat track with minimal movement what to gain? Didn't Muhammad Ali came and vanished too he can do the same what Khurram can do and he was atleast quicker than him

But he is bowling at 130-132 on a flat track with minimal movement what to gain? Didn't Muhammad Ali came and vanished too he can do the same what Khurram can do and he was atleast quicker than him
Atleast he managed to keep the Australian Batters quiet which is not the case with other bowlers.

Khurram has been decent.

A bowler like him could be useful in swinging conditions like Eng and NZ. He's probably been the most accurate bowler of the lot while being on debut.

Australian conditions are harsh on everyone especially this early in your career.

What did you think of him
Best bowler of the lost. While shaheen bowlrd rubbish, khurrum bowled well.

But after two overs he decided to change sides and bowled one bad delivery.

He was doing well when he was consisstently bowling in that one line and wasnt needed to change things.

But we can only have 1 bowler bowling 130 kph and not have 4 pacers of same speed.

He is good as a third pacer

If you know your lines and length and bowl it consisstently, that is good enough.

That is what Asif did. He didnt do wonders with the ball by making it swing from 6th stump. Be consisstent and Khawaja had no clue what to do.

Other bowlers were bowling all over the wicket

If you know your lines and length and bowl it consisstently, that is good enough.

That is what Asif did. He didnt do wonders with the ball by making it swing from 6th stump. Be consisstent and Khawaja had no clue what to do.

Other bowlers were bowling all over the wicket
If you are a 130k bowler you either need extra bounce or need to move the ball extravagantly one way (either coming in or going away) to be successful in Test match cricket otherwise even if you have Mcgrath like accuracy you will end up being a supporting bowler averaging 35+ with the ball.

Minimal movement at 130k even with deadly accuracy won't going to make you last long in Test cricket specially if your height is 5.9/10

If you are a 130k bowler you either need extra bounce or need to move the ball extravagantly one way (either coming in or going away) to be successful in Test match cricket otherwise even if you have Mcgrath like accuracy you will end up being a supporting bowler averaging 35+ with the ball.

You don't need to move it that extravagantly, just depends on the length and accuracy. If you can move one away from a good length it can be useful, especially with the new ball when the last thing you want to do is offer up free hits by straying down legside or serving up half volleys.

No you dont.
130 kph bowler has bounce.

No one moves the ball extravagantly. Its just the conditions that assists. What you need is consisstent lime and length.

He’s quite promising. Actually has that consistency in line and length which Shaheen lacks and he was making the ball talk. As someone said above, in some swinging conditions in ENG or NZ he’d be unplayable

Good control, which shows how important the grind in FC is for development of red ball skills

Shaheen needs to learn basics from him

Was the most impressive bowler out of our pacers. Glad he played this match and honestly feel he’s a bit unlucky to have bowled so well and only gotten one wicket.

I liked what I saw, pace wasn't perfect but he's still 24 I'd back him to reach a stage where he can consistently operate in the mid 130s-140 instead of 130 like today

Kind of bowler who should be given a long rope in tests (20-25 tests)

that's the difference between someone being picked on merit after grinding in domestic and someone being picked on reputation.

I'm not sure who is responsible for selection in Pakistan cricket, but the first criteria is picking bowlers who have mastered some of the basic arts, line and length first, then having some skill with the ball and intelligence how to use it.

I haven't seen much of Khurram, but I saw some outswing, and immediately that tells me he has some smarts and can probably use the new ball. He's not really quick enough, but speed with no control is worse than useless.

I'm not sure who is responsible for selection in Pakistan cricket, but the first criteria is picking bowlers who have mastered some of the basic arts, line and length first, then having some skill with the ball and intelligence how to use it.

I haven't seen much of Khurram, but I saw some outswing, and immediately that tells me he has some smarts and can probably use the new ball. He's not really quick enough, but speed with no control is worse than useless.
He's been brilliant in first class recently was one of the highest wicket takers in the recent FC tournament at an average of 20

Hafeez & wahab are going towards the right direction by giving domestic perfomances importance over PSL.

Minimal movement at 130k even with deadly accuracy won't going to make you last long in Test cricket specially if your height is 5.9/10
I think you are too much emphasizing on pace. Shahzad bowled very well today and there was some consistent outswing going on for him. Some sort of movement with in 130s are always better than a 140+ flat trajectory bowlers.

He was the only seamer to bowl with any sustained accuracy.

I liked how he set up Smith for his dismissal. Too often our guys seemingly run in and bowl without any planning or thought whatsoever. He's mainly an inswing bowler but if he can get the odd one to just straighten enough from RHs like he did there he'll be a handful.

Is he gonna be our main strike bowler ? No, but an accurate workhorse wouldn't hurt this wayward pace attack.

Sorry Khurram I take my words back. If Your 125 kph thunderbolts are not going to reach keeper at Perth, you should be able to see the writing on the wall that 'you are not made for international cricket'

Khurram gets the breakthrough. What a start after lunch straightaway. Marsh is gone for 90.

Khurram Shahzad was taken off after 3 overs and was struggling with fitness and bowling at 124KPH.

It could explain why he bowled so little on day 2.

Respect to Khurram - Courageous of him to come out and stick it out.

Khurram Shahzad struck early as he removed David Warner for a duck. What a start for him in the 2nd innings. Beautiful delivery to get a wicket on.

He might be slow, but he's taken 2 today with the short ball.

u3csuMQ.png

He needs work on his fitness. With his movement and accuracy. Even 134-135 kph will be good enough

I think he's a good prospect for the third pacer role.

Shaheen
Naseem
Khurram

Let the others attack and he can contain the opposition. He might work better in such a combination and help the others become more effective too.

will be a great addition to this pace attack.

The debutants are showing up the more experienced players, something to hold on to for the future even if the test is lost now

He has good control over the new ball. All that is lacking is his pace. He has very low pace.

If a 125-130k medium bowler tops the chart of domestic cricket and getting selected in national team then it’s time to say good bye to test cricket in Pakistan.

I don’t get the issue, if he is performing here on these pitches in Australia then he will find success in a lot of pitches including in England and South Africa. If he succeeds at this pace then that’s much more preferable to someone who bowls faster but does not have this level of control.

Bowling at a slower pace allows him to bowl these longer spells as well and sometimes you just need a workhorse type fast bowler who can keep it tight.

I imagine when Naseem Shah comes back we will persist with

Shaheen
Naseem
Shahzad
Jamal

With Jamal playing the role of a batting all rounder for our team.

It’s just the novelty factor at the moment , you can’t get much success if you bowl at 125-130k without extracting some big movement either way, even M.Asif was 130-137k bowler and seams it big

Next match Aus will move outside their crease and disturb his length and will go gun blazing against him

Sad thing is last year he was bowling at 135-142k even though in T20s but now he has slowed down considerably.

Even though he bowls at 125-130k he looks much quicker than Ubaid Shah , then may
be Ubaid Shah bowls at 120-125k , dark times indeed for Pak cricket, we are getting military medium bowlers in the name of pacers and darters in the name of spinners

FC performers are under rated by fans and its all about 4 over psl bowlers
This is a reality check for keyboard experts.

1. FC performance doesn’t translate to international success.
2. 130-135 kph are Trundlers.

Khurram Shahzad was the pick of the bowlers as he took 3 wickets in the 2nd innings. Got Smith out in both innings with some fabulous deliveries. He has done well as a debutant. Can improve in the upcoming matches.

Melbourne is going to be a real challenge for him as it's a lot more unforgiving compared to Perth.

I hope he does well and cements his spot in the final XI.

@Mamoon would like to know your views on this new swing sensation?
Sensation?

You can mark him off as another Pakistani soda bottle pacer who makes a loud pop but there is nothing inside.

Yet another bowler who will have mileage for 10-15 Tests only, get injured and then disappear. It is absurd to hope anything from anyone at this point.

FC performers will always do better than overhyped 4 over wonders. In any format
💯

Just because a guy turns up and bowls 140+ for 4 overs, everyone thinks he is going to do the same in Tests.

Never happening and never will.

They'll probably be hovering around 130 clicks after the 7th over.

Sensation?

You can mark him off as another Pakistani soda bottle pacer who makes a loud pop but there is nothing inside.

Yet another bowler who will have mileage for 10-15 Tests only, get injured and then disappear. It is absurd to hope anything from anyone at this point.
I think Khurram knows he is a soda bottle, but he has his head down and will continuously try to bowl at the right lengths

I have never seen a Pakistani bowler come in and start troubling a batter line Smith. He got him out both times and it was a proper setup. As if Khurram has been playing Test Cricket for a couple of years.
I guess constantly being neglected and not seen as flashy enough to represent Pakistan cricket is the best learning curb for all domestic cricketers in Pakistan.

Some guys are handed everything before they have done anything to truly earn it.

Others have to continuously struggle, to one day be given the right to show they are deserving. Inspirational stuff, and all of the domestic cricketers who have toiled like he has should be proud and inspired by him.

Sensation?

You are usually right. But I think their is something different about this guy. He has done the hard grinds at the FC level.

He bowls the perfect test match line and length and set up Smith in both innings dismissing him twice. Not an easy thing to dismiss the world's best batsmen twice on debut.

Let's see.

The only skill he is lacking is pace. At least at this age, he needs to accelerate the pace to 140+.

You are usually right. But I think their is something different about this guy. He has done the hard grinds at the FC level.

He bowls the perfect test match line and length and set up Smith in both innings dismissing him twice. Not an easy thing to dismiss the world's best batsmen twice on debut.

Let's see.
I hope I am wrong and you are right, but I have zero faith and confidence in Pakistani players. We have not got what it takes and never will.

Pakistan will always be a terrible team because we are incapable and it is time for fans to lower their expectations to avoid getting disappointed.

This guy has bowled well and was Pakistan's best pace bowler at Perth.

Proper line and length and was soo consistent. He almost got Usman Khawaja but credit to Khawaja for having the determination to play a test innings. Khawaja played really well against him and should had been the Man of the match.

I think Khurram will do well if more good bowlers are bowling with him

Sensation?

Bro, after a very long time we played an actual bowler that had domestic experience and if you watched him bowl, he was very consistent to where he was bowling at.

He is not like Naseem or Shaheen that everyone was hyping up about there pace.

With this guy there was no hype. Even after he bowled well, fans were hyping Aamir Jamal who bowled terribly but his 6 wickets made fans go gaga.

His mileage will be 50 tests. He is young and he is very good. You need to watch him one session.

Back