Lions (367/6) edge past Markhors (332/9) by 35 runs in a thrilling encounter of the Champions One Day Cup 2024

Salman Ali Agha is a criminally underrated player.. I wish he stayed till the end, though.. Would have definitely chaaed it.. but still played brilliantly

Salman Ali Agha is a criminally underrated player.. I wish he stayed till the end, though.. Would have definitely chaaed it.. but still played brilliantly
I beg to differ. He is an ODI version of Asad Shafiq. Looks good, does enough to keep his spot, but doesnt win you games.

I beg to differ. He is an ODI version of Asad Shafiq. Looks good, does enough to keep his spot, but doesnt win you games.
Asad shafiq averages 24 and has a sr of 65 in over 50+ odi's, he's the worst no 3 for pakistan ever, no one is as bad as him

Muhammad Irfan Khan’s explosive century made the crucial difference between the Nurpur Lions and the UMT Markhors, as the Lions secured a 35-run victory in the eighth match of the Bahria Town Champions One-Day Cup at Iqbal Stadium on Friday night. Chasing a target of 368, the Markhors fell short, finishing at 332-9 in their 50 overs.

This marked the first loss for the Markhors in the tournament, while the Lions earned a much-needed win to keep their playoff hopes alive. Their next crucial match is against the Engro Dolphins on 22nd September.

Irfan Khan smashed 10 sixes and five fours in his unbeaten 56-ball century and built a game-changing 147-run partnership for the fifth wicket with Khushdil Shah. The Lions managed to post the tournament’s highest total thanks to the 124 runs scored in the last 10 overs.

Earlier, after choosing to bat, Lions' openers Abdullah Shafique (52 off 64 balls, 2 fours, 2 sixes) and Imam-ul-Haq (51 off 56 balls, 7 fours) provided a solid foundation with a 110-run opening stand. In addition to Irfan’s heroics, Khushdil Shah contributed with an aggressive 73 off 45 balls, featuring four boundaries and five sixes.

For the Markhors, Zahid Mehmood stood out with 2-49, while Mohammad Imran Jr, Muhammad Imran, and Iftikhar Ahmed took one wicket each. Despite a valiant 82 from Fakhar Zaman and Salman Ali Agha’s 69, the Markhors were unable to keep up as the Lions struck regularly to keep them under pressure. Fakhar, with eight fours and four sixes, built an 88-run opening partnership with Bismillah Khan (20 off 28 balls, 3 fours), but the team soon slumped to 163-4 and then 192-5.

After brief resistance from Iftikhar Ahmed (25 off 33 balls, 1 four, 2 sixes) and Mohammad Rizwan (20 off 22 balls, 1 six), Salman Ali Agha and Abdul Samad revived hopes with a 47-run sixth-wicket stand off 32 balls. Samad’s 42 off 37 balls included three fours and two sixes, while Salman looked more dangerous, scoring 69 off 39 balls with seven fours and four sixes before both were dismissed in the 38th and 46th overs, respectively.

Aamer Yamin, Ahmed Daniyal, Khushdil Shah, and Shaheen Shah Afridi took two wickets each to restrict the Markhors to 332-9 in their 50 overs.

Scores in brief:

Match 8
– Nurpur Lions beat UMT Markhors by 35 runs

Nurpur Lions 367-6 in 50 overs (Muhammad Irfan Khan 100*; Khushdil Shah 73; Abdullah Shafique 52; Imam-ul-Haq 51; Mohammad Taha 31; Omair Bin Yousuf 30; Zahid Mehmood 2-49)

UMT Markhors 332-9 in 50 overs (Fakhar Zaman 82; Salman Ali Agha 69; Abdul Samad 42; Aamer Yamin 2-54; Ahmed Daniyal 2-66; Khushdil Shah 2-67; Shaheen Shah Afridi 2-86)

Player of the Match: Muhammad Irfan Khan (Nurpur Lions)

Any turn? As I have said many times on these pages, he is the best amongst the PK spinners. I wish I could work with him on his mentality
I don’t think there was much turn. He appears to be deceptive with his bowling action, bowled tight lines & lengths and mixed up the pace. It was a neat bowling spell.

I don’t think there was much turn. He appears to be deceptive with his bowling action, bowled tight lines & lengths and mixed up the pace. It was a neat bowling spell.
From my past observations he is a bit too wide on the crease and tries too much. On the positive side he did turn the ball and because of that he seemed to have more potential

Back