Liverpool FC | 2019/20 Season

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Liverpool and Manchester City recorded two of the three highest points totals in Premier League history last season, with both teams' attacking players essential parts of their success.

City scored a record 169 goals in all competitions, with seven players reaching double figures. The Reds were also a potent force, but only three of their squad scored more than seven goals.

The 2019-20 season is only a matter of weeks away - the two teams meet in the Community Shield at Wembley on 4 August - and the Premier League is again expected to be dominated by last term's top two.

But while City boast a depth of attacking talent like few others, Liverpool relied heavily last season on Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino - all of whom are absent from their pre-season tour of the United States because of their international exploits this summer.

Does that lack of rest and preparation time leave the Reds at a disadvantage? And do they need a plan B?

A summer off? Forget about it
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has already suggested he will have to manage the return of his front three through the opening weeks of the season - a concern, surely, given that the Reds lost only once in 2018-19 and still did not win the league.

Mane's season only finished on Friday, when Senegal lost 1-0 to Algeria in the Africa Cup of Nations final, 363 days after he began his pre-season training for the 2018-19 campaign.

That's just 16 days before the Community Shield, while the European champions then have three games in nine days - including their opening Premier League match against Norwich and a Uefa Super Cup final against Europa League winners Chelsea - all of which Mane could miss.

Salah was also involved in Afcon with Egypt, while Firmino helped Brazil win the Copa America.

City, who will be aiming for a third straight league title, also have absentees from their pre-season tour of the Far East. Gabriel Jesus was alongside Firmino for Brazil, Sergio Aguero was also involved in the Copa America and Riyad Mahrez was on Afcon duty with Algeria - but their squad depth means forwards Raheem Sterling, Bernardo Silva and Leroy Sane have already played friendly matches.

"I don't want to sound like a moaner, but Mane's season has been 13 months long," said Klopp.

"Have you ever heard of a year with 13 months in it? We need to see how we deal with it. The Brazilians finished the season on an absolute high winning two trophies. For Mo it was slightly different, but I'm constantly in contact with him and all three of them are fine.

"We have important games to come and we know pretty much which players are available. Hopefully we can go through this period without any injuries and let's prepare the group we have around for the first couple of games. Then Sadio should be in as well and fresh enough to go again."

Are Liverpool more reliant on their attackers than Man City?
In a word, yes.

The inevitable consequence of boasting one of world football's deadliest attacking trios is that you want to play them whenever possible.

While City manager Pep Guardiola had the luxury of rotating his first-choice forward line of Sterling, Aguero and Bernardo Silva last season - bringing in the likes of Mahrez, Sane, Jesus and Phil Foden - Klopp only tinkered with his forward line when he absolutely had to.

The Reds depended heavily on Salah, Mane and Firmino, with the trio contributing 63% of their Premier League goals. The figure for City's first-choice front three was much lower, at 47%.

And there must be a concern that a heavy workload last season, plus their summer matches, means Liverpool's key players could be at risk of burnout this term.

Mane, for instance, racked up 4,306 minutes of club football last season. Only 18 outfield players in Europe's top five leagues played more in all competitions - Salah being one of them (4,337).

The Senegalese played a further 944 minutes of international football in 10 games since August 2018.

Mane and Salah played more minutes than any City forward last season, despite Guardiola's side still being involved in four competitions until 18 April, when they were knocked out of the Champions League by Tottenham.

City's busiest attacker was Sterling, who clocked up 4,096 minutes, but the most games he played in a row was 10 - a stark contrast to Salah's run of 50 consecutive appearances. City also had six forwards who played more than 2,000 minutes. Liverpool only had three, who were all way over the 3,000 mark.

Firmino may have played almost 1,000 fewer minutes than team-mate Mane but he was still more active than City's main striker Aguero. The Brazilian added a further 500 minutes of international football at the Copa America this summer, too.

Since August 2017, Salah has played 8,457 minutes for the Reds - ranking him ninth in Europe's top five leagues for minutes played in that period.

Most minutes by outfield players in all competitions among Europe's top five leagues since August 2017

1. Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea) - 9,591 6. Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona) - 8,503
2. Gerard Pique (Barcelona) - 8,824 7. Sergio Busquets (Barcelona) - 8,497
3. Saul (Atletico Madrid) - 8,665 8. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) - 8,492
4. Luis Suarez (Barcelona) - 8,572 9. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) - 8,457
5. Jordi Alba (Barcelona) - 8,511 10. Marcelo (Real Madrid) - 8,416

He started all but one of the 38 Premier League games last season, coming on as a substitute against Burnley in December, while Mane missed just two matches, starting 35.

Firmino was involved in 34 games, including 31 from the start, while back-up striker Divock Origi managed just 673 minutes in all competitions.

Liverpool's front three played 12,047 minutes between them. The only game in which at least two of the three did not start was against Barcelona in the second leg of the Champions League semi-final.

City's trio of Aguero, Sterling and Silva played a lower total of 11,489 minutes, despite the domestic treble winners being involved in seven more games in the 2018-19 season (City - 60, Liverpool - 53).

Guardiola's ability to rotate his squad was helped by the signing of Mahrez last summer - the Algerian bought from Leicester for £60m despite the fact City had just become the first Premier League team to reach 100 points.

Mahrez was the only City player in action for more than 10 consecutive games last season.

So what is Liverpool's plan B?

With first-choice front three Salah, Mane and Firmino all missing this US trip, the 3-2 defeat by Borussia Dortmund on Friday was a chance to see Klopp's back-up options. Or maybe the back-ups to the back-up options, given Xherdan Shaqiri is absent with a calf injury and Adam Lallana sat out the match with a dead leg.

Harry Wilson, who scored 18 goals on loan at Derby last season, started along with Ryan Kent, who impressed at Steven Gerrard's Rangers in 2018-19. Champions League hero Origi played through the middle.

Wilson was the pick - he linked up well with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in a fine early counter-attack which saw Kent denied at the far post by Dortmund keeper Marwin Hitz when he should have scored.

Wilson was then also denied when he tried to lob the keeper, before the two combined to equalise. Fabinho's pass was dummied by Kent, Wilson took a touch and steered coolly into the far corner.

The duo combined again before half-time, Wilson finding Kent, who went around the keeper but couldn't get a shot away.

Origi earned himself a new long-term deal with some legendary cameos on the way to Champions League glory and will surely start the season, but the question is who will be alongside him?

Could it be Rhian Brewster? The youngster, who former Liverpool player Jason McAteer told gleeful Reds fans before the game reminded him "a bit of Ian Rush, a bit of Robbie Fowler", took his penalty brilliantly for his fourth goal in this pre-season, but was quiet apart from that in his half hour.

While this was a long way from the team that lined up in crucial games towards the end of last season, the potential absence of key players early in the season means places are up for grabs.

We will find out if anyone can press more of a claim to take one of them when Liverpool face Sevilla on Sunday.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49023743

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp was thankful teenage left-back Yasser Larouci did not appear to be seriously injured after being "hit full throttle" by Sevilla defender Joris Gnagon's horrendous red-card tackle on a hot-headed night in sweltering Boston.

Sevilla were annoyed that Larouci played on when one of their players was down, but there can be no excuse for Gnagon's frustrated kick, which launched 18-year-old Larouci into the air and led to him being carried off on a stretcher.

"It is much too early in the season to create headlines by saying the things I think about the situation," Klopp said after the game, which Liverpool lost 2-1.

The German manager was watching his words, but midfielder James Milner described the challenge - for which Gnagon has apologised - as a "disgrace".

"Was it too much? I thought so, yes," Milner told LFCTV.

"We know it's only a friendly, but you don't see many red cards in friendlies, do you? You don't normally see too many tackles like that."

Sevilla midfielder Ever Banega could also have been sent off in the first half of a feisty friendly for catching Harry Wilson with an elbow.

Former Manchester City forward Nolito had curled Sevilla in front before Liverpool's Champions League hero Divock Origi thrilled a 35,654 crowd with an equaliser.

Liverpool fielded a whole new XI after the break, with the predictable impact on the flow of the game - but after Gnagon's dismissal, the Spanish side still found a late winner through substitute Alejandro Pozo.

Could pre-season attacking absences derail Liverpool's title bid?
'He hit him full throttle'
On another brutally hot evening on the east coast of the United States - with temperatures at 34C at kick-off - Klopp ended a fiery first half by exchanging words with Sevilla's former Spain boss Julen Lopetegui.

Banega had already gone in hard on at least one occasion when he brought the opening period to an end by flattening Wilson with the second of two swinging arms. He would surely have seen red as well on another night.

There were more spiky challenges from both sides in a 15-minute spell at the end of the first half, before Gnagon swiped into the shins of Larouci, who later got on the team bus using crutches and with a brace on his leg.

"It looks like Larouci was lucky but we have to wait. He hit him full throttle. Harry got a knock on his cheekbone and his eye so that was not too cool," Klopp added.

"In general, I don't like overly hard games. The challenge is there to win the ball, that's the only reason. There are rules. I don't want to say anything specific about this game because there will be headlines. I want to have a holiday in Spain again."

Yasser Larouci pictured on a stretcher
Larouci was taken off on a stretcher but appeared to escape serious injury
'I apologise for an odious act'
Klopp said that there was no need for Sevilla to apologise, but after the game Gnagon did just that, calling his challenge "an odious act", while the La Liga side tweeted that they wish Larouci "a full and fast recovery".

Lopetegui said "it was possibly a red card", adding that his 22-year-old French defender was "very worried because he knows it is a bad tackle and not a good decision".

Klopp insisted he "hates losing", even in a friendly where he was still without his first-choice front three and goalkeeper, among "seven or eight" missing personnel.

The European champions had started the game well, with right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold marking his first start of pre-season by creating a chance for Ben Woodburn, while Origi had an effort well saved by former Fulham keeper Sergio Rico.

But Sevilla then grew into the game, with former Newcastle forward Luuk de Jong wasting two free headers before Jesus Navas found his former City team-mate Nolito to curl home.

Andy Lonergan, a 35-year-old goalkeeper who most recently turned out for Rochdale against Scunthorpe in front of 3,361 people, then saved brilliantly from De Jong before Origi blasted in from a corner to level.

The game appeared to be petering out into a draw when Pozo kept his feet well to dance around second-half keeper Simon Mignolet and slot home the winner for the 10 men.

Liverpool head to New York and another tough game against Sporting Lisbon on Wednesday, and face Manchester City in the Community Shield in 13 days' time.

"I can blame nobody for our opponents because I planned the pre-season," Klopp said.

"It's pretty rare that we play the best football on the first matchday, but we want results - and that is what we are working on."

Little to learn from Dortmund defeat - Klopp
Full teams
Liverpool: Lonergan (Mignolet), Alexander-Arnold (Hoever), Phillips (Gomez), Van Dijk (Lovren), Robertson (Larouci (Duncan), Wijnaldum (Milner), Henderson (Fabinho), Oxlade-Chamberlain (Jones), Woodburn (Kent), Wilson (Lewis), Origi (Brewster).

Subs: Mignolet, Atherton, Fabinho, Lovren, Milner, Gomez, Brewster, Matip, Kent, Lewis, Jones, Hoever, Duncan, Larouci.

Sevilla: Rico (Vaclik), Navas (Corchia), Carrico (Kounde), Carlos (Kjaer (Wober)), Reguilon (Escudero), Banega (Vazquez), Jordan (Ben Yedder), Fernando (Oliver), Ocampos (Gnagon), De Jong (Munir), Nolito (Dabbur (Pozo)).

Subs: Diaz, Vaclik, Munir, Vazquez, Ben Yedder, Gnagon, Dabour, Kjaer, Wober, Kounde, Pozo, Alonso, Escudero, Corchia, Jimenez, Torres.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49068342

Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk says winning the Ballon d'Or would be "a big honour" but he can still get better.

Van Dijk, 28, is one of the favourites to win the award for the world's best player after being instrumental in Liverpool's Champions League victory and Premier League title challenge.

"If I am rewarded for the season I had last year that would be unbelievable and I would be so proud," he said.

"But I feel there is still more to come. I can get more out of me."

Van Dijk has been an integral part of Jurgen Klopp's side's improvement since joining from Southampton for £75m - a world-record fee for a defender - in January 2018.

He won last season's Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year award and was also named the BBC Sport website's player of the year.

But the Netherlands captain says he is a harsh critic of his own game and will demand more from himself this season to try to win more trophies.

"Obviously, it is a big honour to be named as one of the favourites to win such a prestigious award but what can I do? I just get on with playing," he told BBC Sport.

"I am very hard on myself. I know the slightest loss of concentration, the slightest mistake will be punished. I try to limit it as much as possible.

"I have always been very critical of myself and I like the people around me to be critical too. And they are, the manager is as well, which is a good thing.

"I have improved since I joined Liverpool. Last year I am very satisfied with the fact that I played so many games on a consistent level, I am very proud of that fact. On a critical part I could have done more on attacking set-pieces, been more dangerous. It is not easy, I try to work on it.

"I feel there is still more to come. That comes from playing games. In my position it is all about experience as well. Playing games, staying fit, and that will hopefully bring success for the team."

Liverpool are fighting on seven fronts this season - including a December trip to Qatar for the Club World Cup - and such is Manchester City's form over the past two years that Van Dijk believes Liverpool may need to match their record haul of 97 points from last term to challenge for a first Premier League title again.

"You have to do a similar number again, look at City they are a fantastic team," he said.

"Every Liverpool fan dreams of the Premier League. Everyone is waiting for it. We were so close last year, unfortunately it didn't happen but the only thing we can do is go for it.

"There are so many games. Our December period is a madness, basically.

"Last season we lost only one game, we did everything we could but City were just a little bit better than us.

"We have to respect that as well. We are going to try and do even better than last year."

Liverpool conclude a three-match tour of the United States on Wednesday, when they face Sporting Lisbon at New York's Yankee Stadium.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49077436

Big fan of Liverpool. They play with high spirit.

All the best to them this season.

You are a smart person. :)

Tough season for LFC as we are expected to fight hard again for the title and compete in all 4 competitions.

International football this summer could hurt us. Our 3 star players up front are still not with the team and Mane wont even play the first match.!

No bigger fans of the European Champions like me:wa Two losses to Dortmund and Seville albeit with a much weakened team has raised some eyebrows. I am still hoping we get some transfer business done before the season starts. With the departure of Sturridge and Moreno we need to make a few signings.

Mane, Salah and Firminho have all been away on international duty during the summer break whcih means it could be an interesting start to the season for Liverpool.

Mane, Salah and Firminho have all been away on international duty during the summer break whcih means it could be an interesting start to the season for Liverpool.

We have Norwich, Southampton, Arsenal(h) and Burnley in August. Shouldnt be an issue.

Jurgen Klopp has dismissed any talk of Liverpool making a move for Gareth Bale this summer and says they need a team rather than individuals.

The Real Madrid star appears certain to depart the Bernabeu after a public fall-out with manager Zinedine Zidane, who said it was "best for everyone" if Bale left.

Bale has subsequently been linked with a big money move to China, but could yet remain in Europe if a potential buyer is willing to meet his high wage demands.

Talking ahead of their pre-season match against Sporting Lisbon - which you can follow live on the Sky Sports website and app - Klopp said: "These fantastic football players have some strange ideas. I respect them all so much, but they probably only say these things because somebody asked them.

"Bale is a Real Madrid player and if he leaves it will be outstandingly expensive and big wages.

"He is an outstanding player, I like him a lot but it is not about him. You have to create a team. A team is not a collection of the best individual players, they have to work together.

"Liverpool is a long-term project. The team is really good. Will there be difficult situations? Probably. There would be if we bring in a new player, or two or three. I didn't say we won't do anything, it is going to be a big window for sure but people don't think about the people who are already in.

"Sometimes you have to calm the situation down, pay your bills, have a normal life and live in the house before you build a new one."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...klopp-rubbishes-gareth-bale-to-liverpool-talk

We will need Brewster, Origi and Shaqiri to step up more this season if we are to challenge for the league. No chance are we gonna sign a troublesome player like Bale who wants £1 million a week. Liverpool make stars like Barnes, Sterling, Rush, Dalglish, Keegan, Barnes, Alonso, Suarez, Coutinho and Owen to name a few. We rarely sign overrated rubbish like Man Utd do.

Last edited:
We will need Brewster, Origi and Shaqiri to step up more this season if we are to challenge for the league. No chance are we gonna sign a troublesome player like Bale who wants £1 million a week. Liverpool make stars like Barnes, Sterling, Rush, Dalglish, Keegan, Barnes, Alonso, Suarez, Coutinho and Owen to name a few. We rarely sign overrated rubbish like Man Utd do.

Need to strengthen the midfield. Otherwise will be chasing Man City shadow again.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp says he is ready "to write a new chapter" and move on from their Champions League victory after the club concluded their pre-season US tour with a 2-2 draw against Sporting Lisbon.

Divock Origi and Georginio Wijnaldum scored for the European champions in a friendly bookended by Sporting goals from Bruno Fernandes and Wendel.

Liverpool have been without at least four of their first-choice XI in the US and Klopp is happy to be returning to England.

"It was an intense week, three games in a short period. Maybe we did too much," he said.

"But now nobody should talk to me too often about the Champions League trophy, that is now finished. Now we can write a new chapter.

"From a sports point of view I am happy to go back to England."

On the coolest night of the tour Klopp named his strongest starting XI which saw Wijnaldum and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain flank Origi in attack.

For the third time in as many games Liverpool conceded first, Simon Mignolet making a dreadful error which allowed a powerful Fernandes strike to go right through him.

It was a poor moment from the Belgian goalkeeper, but he went on to have a strong game, saving well from Luciano Vietto and Raphinha.

Origi grabbed his second goal of the three-match tour at the end of Liverpool's best move to equalise, slamming in the rebound after Jordan Henderson's header was saved, before Wijnaldum scored via a deflection from Oxlade-Chamberlain's pass.

The excellent Fernandes then laid on the equaliser for Wendel after the break as both sides made a host of changes which stemmed the flow of the game.

"Bruno is a sensational player but that shot will not often be a goal - Simon knows that," said Klopp.

"It was a goalie mistake, it happens. We reacted well and scored two good goals.

"That was a proper pre-season game, a lot of mistakes because of the intensity.

"We have to work on everything but we had good moments."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49108437

Liverpool right-back Nathaniel Clyne will be out for about six months after suffering knee ligament damage during the club's pre-season tour of the United States.

Clyne, 28, was injured during the defeat by Borussia Dortmund last week and has flown home for treatment.

The England player is out of contract next summer and had been linked with a return to former club Crystal Palace.

Reds manager Jurgen Klopp said the team were "gutted" at the news.

"He was training and playing so well - he was in outstanding shape," he added.

"Clearly an injury of this nature isn't a happy moment for any player, but the silver lining for him is that, according to the medical guys, it's a straightforward ACL injury.

"This means fixing it and coming back from it should follow a path that is free from pitfalls and complications."

Liverpool say the defender has a clean tear of his anterior cruciate ligament and expect Clyne to return to fitness in six months - late January 2020.

Clyne joined Liverpool for £12.5m in July 2015 but lost his first-team place to Trent Alexander-Arnold and spent the second half of last season on loan at Bournemouth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49103049

Liverpool's first game is against Norwich (August 9). Should be an easy win to start off the season.

As Clyne won't be in the first team he won't be much of a miss on field. His injury does mean we can't sell him for now. Here's hoping that we bring in a few before the season starts.

Liverpool have confirmed the signing of Harvey Elliott from Fulham.

The 16-year-old winger made three appearances for the Cottagers last season and became the youngest debutant in Premier League history when he featured against Wolves in May.

He will be part of the Liverpool squad for today's friendly against Napoli in Edinburgh.

https://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

lgCZXra.png

3 losses in 4 friendlies (+ 2 practice game against semi amateurs) - pre-seasons are hardly indicative but it does suggest how good Klopp is & how lucky he was in last season.

He is brilliant for obvious reasons but he was extremely lucky that apart from few weeks in January, LFC hardly suffered any injury crisis for that bikini thin squad. We are basically heading to another season where to make the top 4, we should hope that Mo, Mane & Bobby is fit for at least 50 games. And, same can be said for TTA & Robertson - with Clyne out for 23-25 weeks (basically till February), our back-up wing backs are academy kids, Henderson & Milner. Also, the way Mignolet is keeping - unless they acquire a decent back-up GK, if God forbid Alisson breaks his wrist or arm, we’ll need to score 3 every game for 3 points.

....... and this is the season we had a gross earning of £256mn only from UEFA & FA tv rights & prize money (excluding gate money, sponsorship money, online money, kits/souvenirs sale & brand partnerships).

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has played down his side's struggles in pre-season as they prepare for Sunday's Community Shield against Manchester City.

The Reds' 3-0 defeat by Napoli at Murrayfield was their fourth successive pre-season game without a win.

"I don't want to find excuses before we play [City] but we had a completely different pre-season," said Klopp.

"We played it without six players. From a freshness point of view, the games came at the wrong moment."

Liverpool have been without goalkeeper Alisson, and strike trio Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah because of international commitments, while Naby Keita and Xherdan Shaqiri have been injured.

"Have we had the best pre-season of our lives? I cannot say that with the results, but the sessions were really good," said Klopp, whose side play Lyon in a friendly on Wednesday before the game against Premier League champions City at Wembley.

"The problem is all the games are in public so everybody sees what we're doing. But we have to prove ourselves during the season, not in one game."

Keita and Shaqiri have resumed training, while Alisson, Firmino and Salah will return to the squad on Monday.

Mane is still absent after Senegal reached the Africa Cup of Nations final, which they lost 1-0 to Algeria on 19 July, and he is scheduled to return next week.

"I don't think we can expect to play our best game of the season on Sunday - that's how it is with the pre-season we've had and the long season after it," said Klopp, whose side finished runners-up to City and won the Champions League.

"But it's not about that, it's about winning a football game, and we'll try to do that."

Klopp, who was irritated about the game with City being called a friendly, added: "I would like to try to win it - it's a final.

"This is the first time I realised that nobody sees it like that, to be honest. 'A curtain-raiser', it's unbelievable."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49150019

Liverpool shouldn't panic. Upset losses can happen to any team. Just start the season in good spirit and with confidence.

3 losses in 4 friendlies (+ 2 practice game against semi amateurs) - pre-seasons are hardly indicative but it does suggest how good Klopp is & how lucky he was in last season.

He is brilliant for obvious reasons but he was extremely lucky that apart from few weeks in January, LFC hardly suffered any injury crisis for that bikini thin squad. We are basically heading to another season where to make the top 4, we should hope that Mo, Mane & Bobby is fit for at least 50 games. And, same can be said for TTA & Robertson - with Clyne out for 23-25 weeks (basically till February), our back-up wing backs are academy kids, Henderson & Milner. Also, the way Mignolet is keeping - unless they acquire a decent back-up GK, if God forbid Alisson breaks his wrist or arm, we’ll need to score 3 every game for 3 points.

....... and this is the season we had a gross earning of £256mn only from UEFA & FA tv rights & prize money (excluding gate money, sponsorship money, online money, kits/souvenirs sale & brand partnerships).

It's Klopps own choice not to strengthen. Don't blame FSG. There is money to spend. I'm sure if he just signed squad players they would not have a issue.

All good teams strengthen after success. Doing nothing is absolute the worst thing you can do. Players become more comfortable and less motivated due to lack or motivation.

This Liverpool team can certainly be improved.

Even our famous yanks allowing us to sign Pepe with a LB and CB to come potentially. :)

If Liverpool fans thought last season was special, 2019-20 could take things to a whole new level.

Their Champions League success and second-placed finish in the Premier League in 2018-19 means they will take part in seven different competitions over the next 10 months - the Community Shield, Uefa Super Cup, Club World Cup, Champions League, Premier League, FA Cup and Carabao Cup.

Has anyone ever done that before? And how realistic is it that Liverpool could win all seven? BBC Sport takes a look.

If Liverpool go all the way in each competition, they are likely to play 67 games across exactly 300 days - an average of a game every 4.5 days. They will play a minimum of 50 matches if they get knocked out of every cup immediately.

Their total could reach 71 if they finish third in their Champions League group - to go into the Europa League last 32 - and need FA Cup replays in the third and fourth rounds.

That is on top of their seven pre-season friendlies in England, the United States, Scotland and Switzerland.

"It would be great if we could use the whole squad throughout the whole season," said Klopp. "That would make life easier. The number of games sounds big. We have big targets.

"We will never try to avoid football games. We are happy to have as much as possible, as it means you have had a successful season.

"The league, as always, will be our main focus because we play most of our games there. There are no games where we can say 'let's send the kids there' because all the games are so exciting, close and competitive."

They could already have won two trophies - beating their 2018-19 haul - by the time they play their second Premier League game of the season.

The Reds open the campaign with a Community Shield game against Manchester City at Wembley on Sunday, 4 August.

After their league opener at home to Norwich on Friday, 9 August, they play Europa League winners Chelsea in an all-English Uefa Super Cup in Istanbul on Wednesday, 14 August.

If the Reds go all the way in the Champions League they will be back in Istanbul for the final 290 days later - on 30 May 2020. The city's Olympic Stadium has wonderful memories for Reds fans, who saw their team beat AC Milan in the final of the same competition at that venue in 2005.

Before that, Liverpool face a very busy December. The festive period is hectic at the best of times - but Liverpool will play at least eight games in 29 days over Christmas - including a 7,000-mile round trip to Qatar.

In the Club World Cup, being held in the Gulf state from 11 to 21 December, Liverpool will go in at the semi-final stage on 18 December, with the 2019 South American champions in the other last-four tie.

Jurgen Klopp's team will have have at least one Premier League fixture moved as a result - their game against West Ham is scheduled to be on the same day as the final and third-place play-off.

If the West Ham game is shifted forwards or backwards by a few days, the Reds will play six Premier League games in December - and again on 1 January. The Carabao Cup quarter-finals are scheduled for the week beginning 16 December too.

Odds are not currently available on the Club World Cup. But a £1 accumulator on Liverpool to win the other six would earn £6,790.

Manchester United famously opted out of the FA Cup in 1999-2000 to play in the Fifa Club World Championship. They went out in the group stages, with David Beckham being sent off in a 1-1 draw with Necaxa
The only country which has ever had teams eligible for seven top-level trophies in one season is England.

The only way to play that many is to win the Champions League - thus qualifying for the Uefa Super Cup (which only started in 1972) and Club World Cup (formerly the Intercontinental Cup) - and then have four domestic competitions.

Of the 10 countries to have had a European Cup/Champions League winner, England, France, Portugal and Scotland are the only four to have League Cups. But France's and Portugal's both came in after Marseille and Porto's respective wins. Celtic won the 1966-67 European Cup - but Scotland does not have a domestic Super Cup/Community Shield-style game.

This is the fifth season that an English club will have taken part in seven competitions. The most recent example was Chelsea, who actually featured in eight in 2012-13 (a bit more on that later).

Liverpool were the first team to do it, back in 1984-85, while Manchester United played in seven competitions twice, in 1999-2000 and 2008-09.

The Red Devils famously did not take part in the 1999-2000 FA Cup, but they did play in the Intercontinental Cup and Club World Championship (as it was then called) that campaign, the one year the two competitions overlapped.

Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa both missed the chance in the late 1970s and early 1980s by failing to reach the Charity Shield (as it was then called).

Liverpool could also have done it in 1977-78, but they opted out of the Intercontinental Cup, as many English teams did at that time, because of a fear of violence from their South American opponents.

Has anyone ever won all seven?
Liverpool
Liverpool failed to win any of their seven competitions in 1984-85, including a Uefa Super Cup defeat by Juventus in Turin (pictured)
None of the sides listed above ever managed to win all seven trophies. The best haul was Manchester United's four of Premier League, League Cup, Community Shield and Club World Cup in 2008-09.

United won two in 1999-2000 - the Premier League and Intercontinental Cup.

Chelsea did not win any of the seven they competed in during 2012-13, although they dropped down to an eighth competition - the Europa League - after going out in the Champions League group stages, and they won that.

Liverpool failed to win any of their seven competitions in 1984-85. They finished second in the First Division and lost in the European Cup final, Uefa Super Cup, Intercontinental Cup and Charity Shield.

Barcelona won all six trophies available in the calendar year of 2009 - although that counts the second half of the 2008-09 season, when they won the Champions League, La Liga and the Copa del Rey - and the first half of 2009-10 when they lifted the Spanish Super Cup, Uefa Super Cup and Club World Cup.

They "only" managed three in 2008-09 and four in 2009-10. Plenty of sides have won four trophies in a campaign, including Manchester City's domestic clean sweep last season.

Liverpool won all five cup competitions available in 2001 - their League Cup, FA Cup and Uefa Cup treble - followed by the Charity Shield and Uefa Super Cup in August.

Belfast side Linfield claim to have won seven trophies in 1921-22 and again in 1961-62, although those were all domestic or all-Ireland leagues and cups.

Celtic won all five trophies in which they competed in 1966-67 - the European Cup, a Scottish league, cup and League Cup treble and the Glasgow Cup.

Could Liverpool win eight trophies this season? Their under-21s are in the Checkatrade Trophy, which was won by Portsmouth in 2019
Some of Liverpool's players could actually play against first teams in eight different competitions this season.

Liverpool Under-21s are in the Checkatrade Trophy, the competition that pits some Premier League and Championship youth sides against first teams from Leagues One and Two.

Liverpool will face Accrington, Oldham and Fleetwood in 'Northern Group B'.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48969062

Last edited:
Liverpool have signed former West Ham keeper Adrian to replace Simon Mignolet, who has joined Club Bruges.

Adrian, 32, was available on a free transfer having been released by the Hammers during the summer.

He played 150 times in six years for West Ham after joining them from Real Betis in 2013.

The Spaniard will fill the gap as Liverpool's back-up to first-choice Alisson Becker after Belgium keeper Mignolet's £6.4m transfer to Bruges.

"I'm very ambitious, I come here to try to win everything, to try to push Ali from the first minute and to make us better," said Adrian.

"Obviously I want to win titles. I come here to fight for all the competitions.

"We have many competitions ahead - we're going to fight for it and try to get them."

Adrian joins teenagers Sepp van den Berg and Harvey Elliott in signing for the European champions this summer.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49233688

Andrew Robertson says it will be "tough living up to the expectations this season" as Liverpool prepare to mount another Premier League title bid.

The Reds won the Champions League last season but finished second domestically to Manchester City with 97 points.

"We set records that will probably never be done again and we still fell short," Scotland left-back Robertson told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"We believe if we do what we did last season we will be in the race again."

Robertson expects more teams to be in the title race next season, despite the fact the Reds - who last won the league in 1990 - finished 27 points clear of third-placed Chelsea last season and amassed a points total that set a record for runners-up in any of Europe's top five leagues.

"Last year, from the turn of the year, it was probably a two-horse race but I do believe it will be more competitive at the top this season," he told the Football Daily Liverpool special.

"Those other teams were dropping points against teams they probably should have beat and we did that well last season.

"I think the teams behind us have improved in the market. Whether the signings are successful is another thing but they are trying to close the gap."

Manchester City beat Liverpool on penalties to take the 2019 Community Shield
Robertson is not worried about Liverpool's failure to add to their squad this summer with youngsters Sepp van den Berg and Harvey Elliott and back-up keeper Adrian the only additions to the Champions League-winning squad.

The starting XI for the Community Shield penalty shootout defeat by City on Sunday all played in the Champions League final victory over Tottenham in Madrid.

"Everyone wants new players coming in and sometimes it's not possible," said Robertson. "We have a very good squad. We don't want to be a team that only won the Champions League.

"We want to leave a legacy and win more trophies. We can only do that by having the same application and mentality as we did last season."

'I wasn't meant to sign that day'

Defenders Robertson and Harry Maguire joined Hull City for a combined £5.35m on the same day in July 2014.

Since then Robertson has played in two Champions League finals and World Cup semi-finalist Maguire became the most expensive defender of all time when Manchester United signed him for £80m from Leicester.

"I needed a haircut that day," Robertson said. "I wasn't meant to sign that day, it was meant to be the day after but they wanted us signing together. I still speak with Harry and we kind of clutched on to each other in the first few days as the two new guys.

"I spoke to him this week but I have no doubt Harry will make that step. He is a fantastic footballer and hopefully he only has two bad games against us this season!"

'We cannot know about title race'
Reds boss Jurgen Klopp also spoke to BBC Sport for the Liverpool special.

Like Robertson, he believes there could be more teams in this season's title race.

"If you are around City or level with them then you must be really good," he said. "I see all the other four teams and Everton looks really ambitious, bringing in lots of players. So many things can happen. I would like to say again that it is us and City - but this time us on top. But we cannot know."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49254092

Finally the new season has arrived!

Liverpool at home to Norwich tonight.

Looking for a strong performance and 3 points. Dont care how we beat them, 1-0 will do for the first game of the season.

Liverpool keeper Alisson has been ruled out "for the next few weeks" with the calf injury he picked up in the season-opening win against Norwich City, says manager Jurgen Klopp.

The Brazil international, 26, went off after 39 minutes of the 4-1 victory and was replaced by summer signing Adrian.

Liverpool could sign veteran keeper Andy Lonergan on a free transfer, with third-choice Caoimhin Kelleher not yet fully fit after a broken wrist.

"It's not too cool," said Klopp.

"It's a calf injury which takes Alisson out for a while."

Alisson was a key figure for the Reds in his debut season after joining from Roma, helping them win the Champions League and finish second in the Premier League.

"I don't want to make now an exact prognosis on when he will be back - it takes a couple weeks for sure, and we have to see," said Klopp.

"I saw already like 'six weeks' and stuff like this, but Ali was not a lot injured in his career so I would like to wait a little bit to see how he develops in that process now, but he is not in for the next few weeks."

Lonergan is available on a free transfer having left Middlesbrough in the summer.

The 35-year-old initially joined the Reds during pre-season as cover when Simon Mignolet, who has since left, was their only available keeper, with Alisson on holiday following international duty and Kelleher injured.

Another back-up keeper, Kamil Grabara, is currently on a season-long loan at Championship side Huddersfield.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49310490

Liverpool goalkeeper Adrian could miss his side's Premier League game against Southampton on Saturday after a collision with a pitch invader.

Manager Jurgen Klopp says the Spaniard was injured during post-match celebrations following Liverpool's win over Chelsea in the Super Cup on Wednesday.

"A supporter jumped over something, was chased by some security guys, slipped and kicked his ankle. Crazy," Klopp said after Adrian saved Tammy Abraham's penalty in the shootout win."

He added: "Apart from that it was a brilliant night for him."

The incident happened as the Liverpool players were huddled together celebrating the match-winning save.

A supporter, attempting to join the group, ran towards them, slipping as he was grabbed by a steward, and collided with several players.

Klopp said: "There's no doubt about how much we love our fans, there's no doubt about that at all, but if they all could stop doing that - that's the worst example we have so far heard about.

"We played against Manchester City and someone ran on the pitch then.

"At Norwich, there was someone as well.

"I don't know what you can do about it in the stadium but that means there is a lot of responsibility for the supporters as well. If the one person cannot hesitate or stop himself, then the people around should do it because it's not funny. It's crazy. You think 'wow, how can something like this happen?'"

Liverpool's third-choice keeper Andy Lonergan, 35, who was an unused substitute for the game in Istanbul which finished 2-2 after extra time, could deputise for Adrian if the 32-year-old is ruled out.

Liverpool's first-choice keeper Alisson is sidelined with a calf injury and when asked, Klopp said Lonergan was "ready" if needed.

Best known for his time at Preston, the veteran has played for a host clubs and arrived at Anfield in the summer after being released by Middlesbrough following a loan spell at Rochdale.

Klopp also has 20-year-old academy graduate Caoimhin Kelleher as an option, but added: "The decision will be made tomorrow. No chance to make it earlier."

Meanwhile, Liverpool have called off transfer talks with Serie A side Roma over defender Dejan Lovren.

It comes after Roma indicated they were willing to make a €20m deal to sign the Croatia centre-back only to fail to make an official offer.

Instead, Roma are understood to have used intermediaries to attempt loan Lovren for a small fee.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49369915

Liverpool goalkeeper Adrian 'optimistic' he will start against Southampton

Adrian is hopeful of starting Liverpool's match against Southampton despite suffering an ankle injury in a collision with a pitch invader.

The Spaniard, 32, was injured during post-match celebrations following the win over Chelsea in the Super Cup on Wednesday.

"Today I feel much better," Adrian told the club website on Friday.

"I hope after more treatment it's going to be much better. I'm very optimistic to start playing on Saturday again."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49369915

Good result at Southampton today but the goalkeeping situation must be a worry for Klopp.

Liverpool's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has signed a contract extension committing him to the club until 2023.

The 25-year-old returned in April after a missing a year with a knee ligament injury suffered in the Champions League semi-final against Roma in 2018.

The midfielder's previous deal had been set to end in 2022.

"It's really exciting for me to be able to sign," he said. "Hopefully I can put in some good performances to make amends for not being around last year."

Oxlade-Chamberlain, who has 32 England caps, added: "You've got to count your blessings every time you get an opportunity like this. I am really excited to be able to extend my time here.

"I can promise the supporters that I'll give them absolutely everything moving forward."

Oxlade-Chamberlain made his first Premier League start since April 2018 against Southampton on Saturday, playing 89 minutes. He also started the Super Cup win against Chelsea on 14 August but lasted just 45 minutes on that occasion.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49442173

Liverpool maintained their place at the top of the Premier League and their 100% start to the season as Arsenal were well beaten at Anfield.

The Gunners, the only other side in the top flight to win their first two games, had opportunities to shock Liverpool in a tight first half, especially when record £72m signing Nicolas Pepe shot straight at keeper Adrian after running clear.

Liverpool took control when Joel Matip put them ahead with a powerful header from Trent Alexander-Arnold's corner four minutes before the interval.

And any hopes manager Unai Emery had of watching his side mount a recovery were snuffed out in the 49th minute after a moment of madness from new signing David Luiz, who needlessly dragged Mohamed Salah back in the area.

Liverpool's Egyptian attacker drilled home the penalty and then embarrassed Luiz again out on the touchline at the start of a dazzling run that ended with a low, curling finish into the bottom corner just before the hour.

Arsenal substitute Lucas Torreira pulled one back late on, but nothing was getting in the way of Liverpool's 12th successive Premier League victory, equalling their best sequence in the top flight under Kenny Dalglish between April and October 1990.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49378898

Bobby Duncan: Liverpool reject accusations of 'mentally bullying' youth team player

Liverpool have rejected accusations of 'mentally bullying' teenage forward Bobby Duncan.

The 18-year-old, who is the cousin of former club captain Steven Gerrard, had been the subject of interest from Serie A side Fiorentina recently but Liverpool want to keep the youngster.

Duncan's representative, Saif Rubie, says Duncan is being kept at the club against his will.

The Reds described Rubie's comments as "unfounded allegations".

In a lengthy statement released on social media, Rubie said: "This is not really dignified behaviour from a club with the rich history of Liverpool and one [at which] one of their greatest-ever players, Steven Gerrard, happens to be Bobby's cousin.

"It's a sad state of affairs that a club such as Liverpool can be allowed to get away with mentally bullying and destroying the life of a young man such as Bobby."

Duncan joined Liverpool from Manchester City in 2018 and scored 32 goals in all competitions for the club's under-18 side last season.

He was part of the Reds' squad for their pre-season tour of America this summer and also scored in the 6-0 friendly defeat of Tranmere in July.

In a response to Rubie's comments, Liverpool said: "Liverpool Football Club is aware of and disappointed by the unattributed comments and unfounded allegations that have been made in the media regarding one of our players.

"As the interests of the player in question are not best served by either inaccurate speculation, inflammatory statements or public discourse, we will be making no further comment.

"We will, however, continue our efforts to work privately with the player to find resolution in the best interests of all involved."

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher, in a reply to Rubie's statement on Twitter, said: "I know Bobby and his family well. He's young and at that age we all want everything right now.

"[He] played for the first team in pre-season, which is a great start, and he should try to develop this season and maybe make the bench in [the] Carabao Cup. That should be the advice you're giving him."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49500705

We need to win a domestic competition this season. I would sacrifice the CL for the EPL title this season. Must also speak of my concern of Jurgen suggesting he'll quit after his contract is out. I don't want him to manage some other side when his rest period is over. We should consider something like an in-between manager for a season or two allowing him to return after his break is over.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp played down striker Sadio Mane's reaction after being substituted in the 3-0 win at Burnley, and then praised his forward line for helping the club achieve a 13-match winning run in the Premier League.

The incident involving the Senegal international occurred in the 85th minute with the Reds 3-0 up. As Mane walked off he made a gesture to the bench and continued to be animated as he sat down, seemingly frustrated at fellow forward Mohamed Salah's decision not to pass to him in the opposition area moments earlier.

The German boss laughed off the incident, and said: "But it's good eh? He was upset, it was obvious.

No pre-season for the front three but they still deliver - so far, so good

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp
"Sadio cannot hide his emotions, I like that. But all sorted. We spoke about it and everything is fine.

"We are individuals, we are emotional. It was a situation in a game. What else could have happened? It was not a phone call."

Mane, Roberto Firmino and a fluke own goal helped the Reds maintain their 100% start to their Premier League campaign.

Reaction from Turf Moor
The Clarets had fought toe-to-toe with last season's runners-up until the 33rd minute when Trent Alexander-Arnold's seemingly intended cross to the far post brushed the back of Chris Wood and sailed over the head of the stranded Nick Pope in goal.

Another piece of misfortune occurred soon after the restart. This time Burnley skipper Ben Mee inadvertently found Reds forward Firmino with a short pass; he then found Mane who fired low past Pope.

There were few chances after the break, but Liverpool converted the clearest of them when Firmino fired in from the edge of the area after he was teed up by Salah.

Klopp said he was surprised the league leaders had extended their winning streak, because none of his front three had a full pre-season - both Mane and Salah played at the African Cup of Nations, while Firmino competed at the Copa America.

Nick Pope
It was an unfortunate moment for Burnley's Nick Pope who this week received a recall to the England squad
"If you ask me four weeks ago I wouldn't expect it would happen," said Klopp.

"We had a tricky pre-season. No pre-season for the front three but they still deliver. So far, so good."

His Reds go into the international break with as many points and in the same position as the corresponding period last season.

Burnley, who have now won just two of their past 17 matches against Liverpool in all competitions, drop down to 11th in the table.

Reds forwards make most of limited chances

Burnley 0-3 Liverpool: Jurgen Klopp pleased with Reds' second ball game
Not too many will begrudge a team like Liverpool the rub of the green now and again.

Up until Wood's own goal neither full-back Alexander-Arnold nor Andy Robertson had much of a chance to attack down the flanks, as they were both kept busy by Burnley's Aaron Lennon and Dwight McNeil.

However, the danger posed did not deter Alexander-Arnold from pushing forward at any opportunity, and just after the half-hour mark his latest foray led to the lucky opener. As his cross nestled in the back of the net, the England defender reacted with sheepish pleasure.

There were, though, more lavish scenes of celebrations moments later when Mane sent his angled drive past the Burnley keeper.

Both he and fellow forwards Firmino and Salah were limited to scraps in the match, but when the next opportunity arose after the break they took it.

This time Egyptian Salah made one of his familiar marauding runs forward only to see his progress halted at the edge of the area. However, the cavalry arrived in the form of Firmino, who struck home the third for Liverpool.

Burnley out of luck

Burnley 0-3 Liverpool: Sean Dyche admits Liverpool can 'hurt any team'
Two errors in two successive games will grate on a Burnley side that prides itself on making the opposition work for their win.

It was Danny Drinkwater's mistake that led to Sunderland's equaliser in the 3-1 Carabao Cup midweek defeat, and against the Reds, skipper Mee suffered a rare lapse at the wrong place and against the wrong team.

That was an unfortunate four minutes for the Clarets, who up until the fluke opener looked good as they sparred against the European champions.

They came close to taking an early lead when Wood flashed a shot that Spanish keeper Adrian pushed away. And minutes later, Alexander-Arnold prevented Barnes from an almost-certain fifth of the season when he cut out Aaron Lennon's ball from the right.

The two first-half goals seemed to knock some of the wind out of Burnley, who failed to put up much of a fight after the break. Had James Tarkowski left a cross for Mee from a second-half corner, the captain might have atoned for his earlier error. And late in the game substitute Jay Rodriguez was denied by keeper Adrian - a sharper Rodriguez might have scored.

Having been competitive in almost three-and-a-half league games, Burnley boss Sean Dyche is unlikely to be too concerned about a second defeat in a matter of days.

Man of the match - Roberto Firmino (Liverpool)

Roberto Firmino was alert to Ben Mee's error and then got his goal after reading the play of Mohamed Salah - a great forward display
Mane the lucky charm - the stats
Liverpool have won 13 league games in a row for the first time in their history, while they are only the second English top-flight side to win 13 in a row while scoring more than once each time (after Tottenham in 1960).
Liverpool have gone 21 Premier League games without losing (W17 D4 L0); losing just once in their last 43 games in the competition (W35 D7 L1), a 1-2 defeat to Man City in January.
Burnley have picked up just one victory in their last 25 Premier League games against 'Big Six' teams (D6 L18), beating Spurs at Turf Moor in February 2019 (2-1).
Liverpool have won three consecutive away games at Burnley for the first time since August 1970 (all competitions) under former boss Bill Shankly.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has won five Premier League games versus Dyche; against no manager has he registered more victories in the competition.
Since the start of the 2016-17 season, Burnley have scored eight own goals in the Premier League; only Bournemouth (nine) have scored more.
Liverpool have not lost any of the last 33 Premier League games in which Mane has found the net (W29 D4 L0).
Since the start of last season, no Liverpool player has scored more goals in all competitions Mane (30 - level with Salah).
Firmino became the first Brazilian to score 50 Premier League goals; he is the ninth player to reach the milestone for Liverpool overall - no other club has had more (level with Manchester United).

What's next?
Liverpool are at home to Newcastle on Saturday, 14 September (12:30 BST) and Burnley are at Brighton the same day (15:00 BST).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49456553

Liverpool have given Bobby Duncan permission to speak to Fiorentina ahead of a possible Deadline Day move to Serie A.

The clubs are close to agreeing a deal worth in the region of £2m for the 18-year-old, who is expected to head to Florence on Monday to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical.

Sky Sports News understands Liverpool will also insert a 20 per cent sell-on clause in the deal.

Duncan had been at the centre of a row since last week when agent Saif Rubie claimed Liverpool were keeping him against his will, having pulled out of a U23 game due to "deep mental issues with all the stress".

Liverpool denied the accusations but have now decided to allow Duncan to talk with the Italian club, who lost their opening two games of the domestic league season.

Jurgen Klopp insisted Liverpool are "sensitive" with their youngsters and "really care" about Duncan, the cousin of club legend Steven Gerrard.

The European champions have rejected loan offers from Fiorentina and Danish club FC Nordsjaelland.

Duncan, whose contract runs until 2021, scored 25 goals for the development squad last season.

He has yet to make a competitive appearance for the first team but did feature in pre-season, scoring in the 6-0 win at Tranmere.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ive-striker-permission-to-speak-to-fiorentina

3-1 as it ends. Only concern is that this is 4th game in s row that we have conceded one - need to tighten there; not every week we’ll score 3.

I have absolutely no doubt that between Coutinho & Firmino, the later one is the better player. Some his touches are unique and in every match, he has a moment or two of individual genius. He is more of a No. 10 in the shirt of No. 9. At 27, he has the best 3-4 years of career coming and I hope he sticks to LFC for that - PCs Barca adventure should ring an alarm bell for all those Latin players desperate to move to Spain’s big 2. It’s probably one of the granger coups of history that Firmino cost £25mn, Coutinho £8mn ... and then Coutinho was sold for £125mn+!!!!

3-1 as it ends. Only concern is that this is 4th game in s row that we have conceded one - need to tighten there; not every week we’ll score 3.

I have absolutely no doubt that between Coutinho & Firmino, the later one is the better player. Some his touches are unique and in every match, he has a moment or two of individual genius. He is more of a No. 10 in the shirt of No. 9. At 27, he has the best 3-4 years of career coming and I hope he sticks to LFC for that - PCs Barca adventure should ring an alarm bell for all those Latin players desperate to move to Spain’s big 2. It’s probably one of the granger coups of history that Firmino cost £25mn, Coutinho £8mn ... and then Coutinho was sold for £125mn+!!!!

Firminho is seriously underrated and an almost perfect false 9. Selfless, hardworking and doesn’t mind letting others hog the spotlight.

It looks like Neymar is now set for a long haul at PSG, which means that Mbappe to Madrid next summer can happen. Also, Cavani is almost certain to quit next summer as well.

Firminho would be a perfect foil for Neymar and will allow him to run the show. He can basically be to Neymar was Benzema was to Cristiano.

PSG is a bully in the transfer market. Their unmatched financial muscle means they can pretty much buy and keep any player they want. If they hunt Firminho next summer which is quite likely, it will be tough for Liverpool to keep him.

Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle: Mohamed Salah & Sadio Mane put Burnley issue behind them in style

Problems? What problems?

Liverpool's Premier League rivals may have hoped to have spotted a potential issue brewing at Anfield before the international break when Sadio Mane made a very public point of expressing his dissatisfaction with Mohamed Salah, when the Egyptian failed to pass to him during the 3-0 win at Burnley.

Manager Jurgen Klopp had already laughed off the row, while before Saturday's 3-1 home victory over Newcastle, Salah had sent out the ultimate modern-day olive branch in the form of a meme of the pair hugging.

By full-time at Anfield, the only question surrounding Liverpool's stellar front three is how any side in Europe can hope to keep them quiet.

Mane, Salah and Roberto Firmino all missed the Reds' pre-season tour of the United States, and Firmino was playing for Brazil in Los Angeles in the early hours of Wednesday morning.

But it just doesn't seem to matter.

Salah and Mane - changing of the guard?

Salah had been the quieter of Liverpool's trident when he scored the third goal on Saturday, collecting a fine backheel from Firmino, driving past Fabian Schar and burying a shot into the corner.

He has scored four goals already in the Premier League this season - taking his total to 58 in 79 for the Reds. He is not having a quiet season, but is Mane now eclipsing him?

Against Newcastle Mane was a menace, especially once he switched to the left of the front three after half an hour. His first goal was fantastic, taking a touch inside the area and flashing a drive into the top corner without hesitation.

Both forwards have scored 26 times in the league since the start of last season, with Mane's goals coming more frequently, at a rate of one every 132 minutes to Salah's 142.

But interestingly, considering Mane's complaints, Salah offers far more to the team in terms of assists - with the Egypt international having set up 10 league goals since the start of the 2018-19 campaign compared with Mane's two.

Mane has made more chances for Salah in the same time period though - 23 to 17.

One thing is for sure, they both love playing at Anfield.

Mane has never lost a Premier League home game in which he has found the net, winning 33 and drawing two of his previous 35 games when doing so.

And Salah has been directly involved in 50 league goals for Liverpool at Anfield, scoring 36 and providing 14 assists in 41 appearances.

As a pair, the two don't tend to gel all that well. Only one pass was played between them - from Mane to Salah - on Saturday. They need a link man in the middle. Luckily they have a brilliant one.

Firmino adds to Klopp's armoury

Firmino played an hour as Brazil were beaten by Peru in the United States little more than 72 hours before Saturday's 12:30 BST kick-off at Anfield.

Anyone who has recently completed a long-haul transatlantic flight can attest to what it takes out of you, so it was no real surprise the 27-year-old was handed a break against Steve Bruce's side.

That was the plan anyway. But Champions League hero Divock Origi only lasted 36 minutes before coming off with an ankle injury, with Firmino then coming on between his two team-mates.

The impact was both immediate and long-lasting. Firmino robbed Christian Atsu of the ball, looked up and played Mane in for his second goal. Clinical.

After the break, Firmino was playing a different game to the Magpies defenders. With flicks and backheels, he pulled them apart and could have ended the day with four or five assists.

He finished the match with four key passes and only an offside flag prevented him from laying on Mane for a hat-trick after another flowing move.

"It was my idea to start Sadio in the centre and Divock on the wing, but it didn't really work," Klopp said afterwards.

"Bobby then came on in his natural position. We used Mo more often, had one-twos in the box, played balls into his feet and then we were in charge of the game. They were wonderful goals. Really sensational. Nice football."

Newcastle boss Bruce perhaps summed it up best when asked about the attacking options available to his counterpart.

"The introduction of Firmino, with his movement and the way he plays, was key," he said.

"The front three are as good as you get. You can understand why they are European champions and lost once last year.

"They are an excellent, excellent team with pace and creativity, and at the top end of the pitch they damage you."

Origi will go for a scan on his injured ankle, while Xherdan Shaqiri also came on for the last few minutes.

Premier League - you have been warned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49702608

Firminho is seriously underrated and an almost perfect false 9. Selfless, hardworking and doesn’t mind letting others hog the spotlight.

It looks like Neymar is now set for a long haul at PSG, which means that Mbappe to Madrid next summer can happen. Also, Cavani is almost certain to quit next summer as well.

Firminho would be a perfect foil for Neymar and will allow him to run the show. He can basically be to Neymar was Benzema was to Cristiano.

PSG is a bully in the transfer market. Their unmatched financial muscle means they can pretty much buy and keep any player they want. If they hunt Firminho next summer which is quite likely, it will be tough for Liverpool to keep him.

They can't accommodate Firmino, unless Neymar is sold; but the level that Neymar has taken his price (wage & fee), I don't see him moving out of Paris before 30. Also, most likely Pogba will end-up in PSG next season, and I am not sure how much Firmino will fit into Tuchel's system. If they hire Pep or Klopp next summer, then may be otherwise I don't see Bobby moving to PSG, France isn't Spain.

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says last season's Champions League win does not make them the best team in Europe.

The Reds' 2-0 victory over Tottenham in June's final in Madrid gave Klopp his first major trophy with the club.

They begin their title defence against Napoli in their Group E opener on Tuesday (20:00 BST), and Klopp says his side cannot dwell on past success.

"There are a lot of good teams out there and you have to prove that constantly," said the German.

"We cannot be the best team in Europe because Manchester City are the best team in the world - that's the same planet, I heard.

"Last season, we were really good. I'm not too sure we were the best team in Europe, but we were really good in the right moments and that's why we won the Champions League."

Liverpool were also paired with Napoli in the group stage last year, with the Italian side winning the corresponding fixture 1-0.

Klopp says his side cannot afford to let their performance level drop in any game in this season's competition, especially with teams likely to have extra motivation against the reigning champions.

"Last year, we learned from one game to the next game and we have to use that experience, because if we don't defend with all we have then we have no chance against Napoli. They are so strong," he added.

"They are stubborn in a positive way. They play football, they break lines, they have good counter-attacks, they are creative. I enjoy it when I analyse Napoli. I like to watch them."

Captain Jordan Henderson echoed his manager's sentiments by stressing the players have put last season's Champions League success to the back of their minds.

"Last season was last season," said the 29-year-old England midfielder.

"We can take experience from the campaign and, if we can take that into this campaign, ultimately we feel we can still do a lot of things better and everything is possible again."

Origi misses out for Reds
Divock Origi, who scored the second goal in the Champions League final against Spurs, did not travel with Liverpool to Naples after twisting his ankle in the 3-1 victory over Newcastle at the weekend. Teenager Rhian Brewster instead made the trip to Italy.

Left-back Andy Robertson picked up a knock at the weekend but is expected to be fit for the game.

Midfielder Naby Keita and goalkeeper Alisson remain sidelined, although the latter could return to training soon.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49719155

We have made a great start to the season no doubt about it. Thing is the way the team plays is is gonna be so hard to keep up the intensity through the season especially when their are midweek games. The players of a winning side will forever be linked elsewhere such is the nature of the transfer market. Having seen the likes of Coutinho failing miserably at Barcelona this should come as a warning to anyone else who thinks the grass is greener elsewhere. Money will no longer be a motivation for the likes of Salah and Bobby moreover it doesn't get any better then playing for the European Champions. Dijk and Klopp are also being linked with possible moves to the La Liga as well, i am ignoring all these rumours for now.

Newcastle only angered us with an early goal. After that we totally dominated them like their daddy! Could have scored many more had it not been for their on form keeper.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"I could say a lot of things about the penalty but then I would look like a bad loser."<br><br>Here's what Jurgen Klopp made of Liverpool's Champions League defeat.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/LFC?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#LFC</a> <a href="https://t.co/G87JcdPm5V">pic.twitter.com/G87JcdPm5V</a></p>— BBC Sport (@BBCSport) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1174231946601422848?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 18, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Liverpool chief executive Peter Moore has stayed in hospital with a fan who was "ambushed" in a bar in Naples before the Reds' Champions League loss to Napoli on Tuesday.

The fan collapsed at half-time due to "significant blood loss" according to a post on social media.

Merseyside Police say two Liverpool fans were reportedly assaulted at a bar before the match at 18:00 local time.

They were attacked by a group on scooters and suffered cuts and grazes.

The two men from the UK, aged 26 and 46, were treated at the scene before attending the game.

Moore had responded to a tweet asking for supporters to visit the injured fan, who has now been discharged from hospital.

"I'm at the hospital with him right now," Moore tweeted just before 01:00. "We will not leave him until we are comfortable that he's fine."

He later added: "The hospital staff and the police have now helped Steven and have been very co-operative. He's been seen and will be monitored throughout the night. He asked me to thank everyone for their concern."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/49738617?__twitter_impression=true

Chelsea 1-2 Liverpool

Huge 3 points! We rarely win away to Chelsea, so imo this is a massive result for us.

YNWA :klopp

Liverpool chief executive Peter Moore says the Reds are "back on our perch" - a phrase famously used by former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson about the Anfield club.

After arriving at Old Trafford in 1986, Ferguson said his first job was to "knock Liverpool right off their perch".

The Scot proceeded to win 13 Premier Leagues before retiring in 2013, taking their tally of English top-flight titles to 20, compared with Liverpool's 18.

But Moore, a lifelong Liverpool fan who was appointed by the club in 2017, thinks the Champions League winners have regained their old status.

The Reds were crowned European champions for the sixth time in June and are five points clear of Manchester City - and 10 ahead of United - at the top of the Premier League after winning all six of their games this season.

They have only lost once in their past 45 top-flight matches, finishing a point behind champions City last term.

"We are back on our perch, as we famously say," Moore told former Liverpool striker Michael Robinson, who is now one of Spain's leading sports broadcasters, during an interview at the World Football Summit in Madrid.

The 64-year-old was appointed by Fenway Sports Group - the American company which bought Liverpool for £300m in 2010 - in February 2017.

Since then, the Reds have reached two Champions League finals under manager Jurgen Klopp and started work on a state-of-the-art training ground at Kirkby which is expected to be completed in 2020.

"What the Fenway Sports Group have done at Liverpool over the past nine years is nothing short of miraculous," added Moore.

"They have gone through ups and downs but have stayed the course and never taken a penny out of the club."

The new Main Stand at Anfield opened in 2016 - taking the stadium's capacity above 54,000 - while the Reds signed Netherlands defender Virgil van Dijk for £75m and Brazil goalkeeper Alisson for £67m in 2018.

Moore confirmed Liverpool are spending about £16m on a digital strategy aimed at increasing engagement with a supporter base they estimate at 771 million followers.

"Football is a virtuous cycle," he said. "You drive revenues so you can afford to buy a goalkeeper or a centre-half that will win you games. When you win games, sponsors want to be part of your story, so they write you a cheque. You take that money and buy better players. They win you more games."

Liverpool boss Klopp will have been in charge for four years in October.

The former Borussia Dortmund manager has taken the Reds from eighth in the Premier League to three straight top-four finishes for the first time in a decade and reached four cup finals.

The 52-year-old German was named men's coach of the year at the Best Fifa Football Awards on Monday.

"Jurgen is one of the more holisitic human beings you will ever meet," said Moore.

"He is able to keep the ship going straight, motivate not just the players but his staff, the coaching staff, the sports science staff - he keeps everyone on an even keel.

"His personality is infectious. His charisma is without question

"Even when you have lost he makes you think there is a brighter sunshine ahead."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49828745

Last edited:
To return on our perch must win the league. Great performance against Chelsea especially in the second half by the defence facing a Chelsea onslaught. Yes the disallowed Chelsea goal was offside, VAR has greatly enhanced the game.

Joel Matip: Liverpool defender was one of Jurgen Klopp's 'best pieces of business'

The signing of defender Joel Matip is "one of the best pieces of business" Liverpool have done in the past few years, says Reds boss Jurgen Klopp.

The 28-year-old centre-back joined the club on a free in 2016 after his deal with German club Schalke expired.

Klopp's signings also include Virgil van Dijk for £75m and goalkeeper Alisson in a deal worth up to £66.8m.

"In a world of big transfer fees, to sign a player like Joel Matip on a free transfer is incredible," said Klopp.

"It was maybe one of the best pieces of business we did in the last few years."

Since 19 January, Cameroon international Matip has partnered Van Dijk in central defence in all but six matches, across all competitions.

He is currently being picked ahead of England defender Joe Gomez and Croatia international Dejan Lovren.

"Joel was always an incredible talent. He played as an 18-year-old boy for Schalke in the Bundesliga," added Klopp, whose side are top of the Premier League with a 100% record going into Saturday's game at Sheffield United.

"It's a strong league and he played there, and was always a standout player, a fixed point in defence.

"Yes, he lacked a little bit of consistency - that can happen, especially with his physical stature.

"He doesn't always look sensational when he moves. But he grew and developed.

"Joel is in a really good moment and long may it continue."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49854788

Jürgen Klopp has said he expects Liverpool to be punished for fielding an ineligible player in the Carabao Cup “if it was our fault alone” but Pedro Chirivella should be exempt from any censure.

The EFL is due this week to consider the case against Liverpool with a fine the most likely outcome for Chirivella playing against MK Dons last Wednesday without international clearance. Expulsion from the competition or a replay of the third-round tie are other possibilities.

Liverpool applied to the Football Association for clearance for the Spanish midfielder in July, after the 22-year-old’s return from an unsuccessful loan spell at Extramadura, but it was not received before his substitute appearance against MK Dons.

Klopp said on Tuesday: “I cannot say too much. Other people are working on it. If it was our fault alone, we need to get punished. It didn’t happen on purpose but my only real concern is the player. He could not play for half a year in Spain last year and if he were not able to play now that would be the biggest problem. I am not

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...pedro-chirivella-carabao-cup?CMP=share_btn_tw

Liverpool: Alisson close to return - Jurgen Klopp

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp says goalkeeper Alisson could be fit to face Leicester on Saturday but expects him to return against Manchester United.

Alisson, 26, has missed nine games in all competitions after suffering a calf injury in the Premier League opener against Norwich on 9 August.

Liverpool host Red Bull Salzburg in the Champions League on Wednesday.

After the game against Leicester and the international break, they face United at Old Trafford on 20 October.

"There are two opinions," said Klopp. "One is Alisson's and the other is the medical department, which is more cautious. We have to wait and see.

"In training, he looks really well but it was a serious injury and we don't want to take any risks.

"We have to see for Leicester and the Manchester United game - probably 100% but we will see."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49894452

Liverpool is on fire. 7 wins in 7 games.

They last won Premier League back in 1989-90 season. It is time to end the drought.

Liverpool fined for fielding ineligible player Pedro Chirivella

Liverpool have been fined £200,000 - half of which has been suspended - by the EFL for fielding an ineligible player in their third-round Carabao Cup win against MK Dons last week.

Spaniard Pedro Chirivella, 22, who came on as a substitute in the 2-0 victory, did not have international clearance.

The EFL said it "wasn't appropriate" to expel Liverpool from the competition because of "mitigating factors".

Liverpool host Arsenal in the fourth round on 29 October.

The EFL said £100,000 of the fine will be suspended until the end of next season.

Liverpool said they "accept the judgement, outcome and punishment", which they described as "proportionate with the technical indiscretion committed".

Midfielder Chirivella needed the paperwork from the Football Association after a loan spell at Spanish side Extremadura last season.

The EFL said Liverpool had "sought the assistance of the Football Association" before the season, and had been allowed to include Chirivella on the team sheet for Premier League Two games, the under-23 competition.

An EFL statement read: "The club's breach was in part due to the challenges it encountered with securing the correct international clearance, and its subsequent ability to include the player on team sheets despite the lack of clearance.

"As a result the board concluded the most appropriate sanction was a financial penalty."

Liverpool said: "Even though there were mitigating factors, which were beyond our control or jurisdiction, we believe it appropriate we apologise to the competition's governing body and also to Milton Keynes Dons."

Liverpool must pay the of £100,000, plus an additional sanction, if they were to field another ineligible player in the competition before the end of next season.

In 2014, Sunderland were fined by the Premier League and the EFL after they fielded ineligible player Ji Dong-won in four league matches and a League Cup game.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49903437

Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers felt Sadio Mane "made the most of the contact" that earned Liverpool a match-winning penalty at Anfield on Saturday.

Mane went down under contact from Marc Albrighton, before James Milner's spot-kick sealed a 2-1 win that maintains Liverpool's 100% league record.

"It did not look clear and obvious to me," said ex-Liverpool boss Rodgers.

Leicester midfielder James Maddison had earlier cancelled out Mane's opener when he made it 1-1 in the 80th minute.

"We are bitterly disappointed to concede the penalty," added Rodgers, making his first return to Anfield since being sacked by the Reds in October 2015.

"Sadio Mane made the most of the contact. I don't think if it had not been given by the referee it would have been overturned by VAR [video assistant referee]. When the referee gives decisions it is hard for them to overrule it."

Maddison, who scored with Leicester's only shot on target, said the penalty was "very soft", adding: "I don't think the contact warrants the way Sadio Mane went down."

However, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp insisted the foul was "obviously a penalty".

Liverpool have not dropped points in the Premier League since March. The last time they did so at Anfield was against Leicester in January, and the Foxes were just moments away from repeating that feat here.

Klopp's side are now on a 17-game winning streak - one short of Manchester City's record of 18 - and lead second-placed City by eight points before Pep Guardiola's side host Wolves on Sunday (14:00 BST).

"Without luck we cannot win the amount of games we have won, but over the 90 minutes we deserved it," added Klopp.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49948068

With Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp celebrating his four-year anniversary at Anfield, we look back at the German's first starting line-up and where the players are now...

The Klopp era began on October 8, 2015 and his first game took place nine days later at White Hart Lane against Mauricio Pochettino's Tottenham.

Simon Mignolet

Mignolet joined Liverpool from Sunderland in 2013 and remained the club's number No 1 goalkeeper throughout Klopp's first two seasons at the club. In January 2016 he signed a new five-year deal with the club but the following summer he faced competition from Loris Karius, who Klopp brought in from Mainz.

The Belgian initially held off the challenge from Karius, who broke his hand in pre-season, but Klopp eventually announced the German goalkeeper as his first choice with Mignolet consigned to the bench. It was thought the 31-year-old would drop even further down the pecking order with the arrival of Alisson Becker from Roma, but the decision to loan Karius to Besiktas saw Mignolet stay for another season before moving back to Belgium with Club Brugge this August.

Nathaniel Clyne

Clyne had only just arrived at Anfield himself when Klopp was appointed but he was already an England international from his Southampton days and the right-back impressed initially for Liverpool. He remained the first-choice right-back for the rest of that season and the whole of the following campaign before suffering a back injury in the summer of 2017.

The return to fitness of Joe Gomez coupled with the emergence of Trent Alexander-Arnold meant that by the time Clyne was ready to compete for his place again the situation had changed. Last season, there was a loan spell at Bournemouth, but a cruciate ligament injury suffered in training in the summer leaves Clyne, now 28, facing another lengthy spell out.

Martin Skrtel

Skrtel spent eight-and-a-half years at Anfield and made 320 appearances in all competitions for Liverpool, but just 19 of those appearances came under Klopp. Despite starting Klopp's first game in charge, he fell quickly down the pecking order following the emergence of the partnership between Dejan Lovren and Mamadou Sakho.

Kept out of the starting XI for much of the second half of the season, the defender joined Fenerbahce for £5m in the summer of 2016. After three seasons in Turkey he moved to Italy with Atalanta but following a bust-up with coach Gian Piero Gasperini he left the Italian club just 24 days after signing and returned to Turkey with Istanbul Basaksehir.

Mamadou Sakho

Mamadou Sakho may have had a mistake in him on his day but he was firmly a part of Klopp's first choice centre-back pairing up until failing a routine drugs test in March 2016, although he was later cleared by UEFA.

That should have settled things - but Sakho was then sent home from Liverpool's pre-season tour of the USA in July 2016 for breaking club rules.

He turned down a move away from the club that summer but in the end, he joined Crystal Palace on loan in January 2017, having failed to play a single Premier League minute for Liverpool that season, and signed permanently at Selhurst Park the following summer.

Alberto Moreno

Moreno was Liverpool's first-choice left-back when Klopp arrived, but his defensive limitations had already been well documented and he found life difficult adapting to the new manager's pressing game.

James Milner was drafted in as Liverpool's stand-in the following season which saw Moreno restricted to two league starts, later finding himself further sidelined by the arrival, and success, of Andy Robertson, although he did start nine games on Liverpool's run to the Champions League final in 2017/18.

His Liverpool career finally came to an end in the summer, when he left on a free transfer and subsequently joined Villarreal.

Jurgen Klopp has used 67 players during his four-year, 221-match reign.

James Milner

The ever-reliable Milner is the only player to start Klopp's first game in charge of Liverpool and his most recent one - even scoring the stoppage-time winner against Leicester last time out. Now 33, he has featured in 168 matches under Klopp, coming off the bench to play his part in the team's Champions League triumph over Tottenham in June.

He has filled in as a full-back for long periods but it is as a relentless midfielder that Milner has proven most effective, typifying the spirit of Klopp's Liverpool. His contract is up at the end of the season but talks over a new deal are ongoing. Do not be too surprised if Milner is still in that Liverpool line-up on the fifth anniversary of the German's time in charge.

Emre Can

Perhaps, the one who got away? Signed in the summer of 2014, Can showed flashes of brilliance under Klopp - a wonder goal away at Watford sticks in the memory - and grew to become one of Liverpool's first-choice midfielders in Klopp's first two seasons at Anfield. The midfielder scored the first goal of the Klopp era, netting in Liverpool's 1-1 draw with Rubin Kazan in the Europa League.

He continued to flourish under Klopp during the 2016/17 and 2017/18 seasons, but with talks over a new contract stalling, his future at the club was thrown into doubt. By March 2018, Can had scored six goals but an injury threatened to ruin his season. He did return to feature in Liverpool's Champions League defeat to Real Madrid, but it proved to be last appearance for the club before a move to Juventus. The 25-year-old ended his first season as a Serie A title winner, but with competition for places fierce in Turin he found himself left out of Juve's Champions League squad this season.

Lucas Leiva

Lucas Leiva was already old hat by the time Klopp arrived, having joined Liverpool back in 2007. He was handed the captain's armband against Crystal Palace a month after the new manager joined, but the arrival of Georginio Wijnaldum the following summer saw him pushed down the pecking order.

Only making 12 starts in 2016/17 proved too much for the Brazilian to deal with, and he was sold to Lazio for £5m.

Adam Lallana

Lallana flourished with the attacking licence given by Klopp, picking up six assists during the German's first season at the helm, and another seven the year after, when he also netted eight league goals.

Injuries have devastated his club career ever since, starting only six league games in the intervening two-and-a-bit years. Lallana did come on from the bench on Saturday against Leicester as he continues his comeback from another setback, but poor physical health may have stolen what could have been a bright few years under Klopp from the former Southampton man.

Philippe Coutinho

A key figure at Anfield when Klopp arrived, Coutinho remained one of the first names on the team sheet for the remainder of the German's first season with Liverpool. He went on to score 12 goals in all competitions during the 2015/16 season and continued his excellent form under Klopp, producing thirteen goals in 31 games in the following campaign.

Coutinho's importance at Liverpool was recognised when he signed a new long-term deal with the club in January 2017, but Barcelona eventually came calling and just a year later he was on his way to the Nou Camp in a staggering deal worth £142m. However, the Brazilian failed to make the same kind of impact he made at Anfield in Spain, and this summer he was sent on loan to Bayern Munich, where he has scored two goals in his eight appearances so far this season.

Divock Origi

Chosen essentially by default with Christian Benteke and Daniel Sturridge both ruled out, Origi nearly took full advantage of his starting berth when he struck the bar with an early header on Klopp's debut.

Since then, Origi has proven a useful squad player for Klopp, scoring seven times from 14 league starts the following season before spending 2017/18 on loan at Wolfsburg. But if that suggested he might be on his way out of Anfield, his performances last season had him back in the door.

A last-minute winner in the Merseyside derby, another late winner at Newcastle and goals in the Champions League semi-final and final earned him a new long-term contract at Anfield earlier this year.

Substitutes
Joe Allen - A favourite of departing boss Brendan Rodgers, Allen found life tough going in the all-action approach Klopp adopted in the early days of his Liverpool career. A number of hamstring injuries did little to help him impress the new manager, and he moved to Stoke for £13m the following summer.

Jordon Ibe - Ibe enjoyed what looked like it might be a breakthrough season in some of Klopp's first year in charge at Anfield, but it proved a false dawn as he was deemed surplus to requirements and shipped out to Bournemouth for a healthy £15m. Having made his first-team bow the year before, Ibe started 10 of the 30 league games Klopp presided over in his first campaign, but managed just two assists and one goal from 27 appearances - and his time was up.

Klopp's reign in numbers

Here a look at some of the numbers from Jurgen Klopp's four-year reign at Anfield...

221 - number of games played in all competitions.

320 - points won in the Premier League from 152 matches at an average of 2.11 per game.

146 - the number of games it took Klopp to record 300 league points - the fewest required by any of the club's managers.

458 - goals scored in all competitions - averaging 2.07 goals per game, the highest ratio by any Reds manager in the last 123 years.

58.82 - win percentage (130 in 221 games), bettered only by one previous Liverpool manager - John McKenna (69.44).

92 - wins in Klopp's first 150 Premier League games, more than any other Liverpool manager.

44 - average number of minutes between Liverpool goals (458 goals in 20,010 minutes).

43 - number of occasions Klopp's side have scored four goals or more in a game.

14 - number of Premier League teams Klopp is unbeaten against.

17 - successive league victories recorded (currently), a club best and one short of Manchester City's record which they can equal at Manchester United on October 20.

1 - the first manager to take an English team to three European finals in his first three seasons of European competition.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ps-first-liverpool-line-up-where-are-they-now

Liverpool's Harvey Elliott has been banned from all domestic club football for 14 days after admitting derogatory language about Harry Kane in a video.

The winger joined Liverpool in July having become the Premier League's youngest player in May, appearing for Fulham aged 16 years and 30 days.

Elliott's social media video, for which he has since apologised, constituted an "aggravated breach" of FA rules.

He must also complete a face-to-face education course and pay a £350 fine.

Elliott, 16, posted the offensive video on Snapchat during Tottenham's Champions League final defeat by Liverpool on 1 June.

The player stated that the video was filmed at his friend's house, where and seven of his friends, all aged 16 and fans of both Liverpool and Tottenham, were goading each other during the match.

He said he was unaware one of the terms he used mocked disabled people.

Liverpool sought to assure the Football Association that they take a zero tolerance approach to any forms of discrimination and said Elliott was spoken to as soon as the video circulated.

The meaning of the offensive words, and how they may be viewed by the general public, was explained to him. In addition, club captain Jordan Henderson, Kane's England team-mate Jordan Henderson, spoke to Elliott about his conduct.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50018966

Joel Matip: Liverpool defender signs new deal until summer 2024

Liverpool defender Joel Matip has signed a new long-term deal which will keep him at the club until summer 2024.

The 28-year-old Cameroon international has scored two goals in nine appearances in all competitions for the Reds this season.

Matip joined Liverpool from Schalke in 2016 and helped Jurgen Klopp's side to the 2018-19 Champions League title.

"It's a great feeling to be a longer part of the club. It's really just a great feeling," he said.

"From outside, you know Liverpool is such a big club - but when you are inside, then you really get a feeling for how big the club is in all the countries - the supporters are everywhere. It's a massive and big club that I think every player would want to play for.

"We have a young and talented team and I think every one of us is hungry. Now we've seen how it is to win something and we want to have that feeling again."

Matip missed Liverpool's last two games before the international break through injury but is expected to return for Sunday's visit to Manchester United.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50102423

Can't wait for this game. Matip and Allison should be back. I have a strong feeling we're going to make it 9 out of 9

We need an early goal. Utd will have 10 men behind the wall as they really have nothing to play for.

We need an early goal. Utd will have 10 men behind the wall as they really have nothing to play for.

Doubt they would do that. Ole would get the sack if he plays like that at home. They have their pride to play for and obviously they do not want to get stuck in a potential relegation battle come Christmas. They will not sit back. They would want all 3 points from this.

1-1 is not a bad result away to United all things considered. Rashford's goal should have been disallowed seeing how the move started with a foul. Mane was really unlucky to see his effort ruled out when the ball clearly first hit his thigh. Their defender then had control before Mane robbed him to score. The ref was poor giving them all the free kicks and us nothing at all. The game for most of the part was boring with both cancelling each other out particularly in the first half. We had most off it in the second dominating possession fully deserving the equaliser at the very least. Another 20 mins and we'd probably have won it.

Mohamed Salah has returned to the Liverpool squad for Wednesday's Champions League game at Genk after recovering from an ankle problem.

The Egypt forward, 27, suffered the injury before the international break and missed Sunday's 1-1 draw against Manchester United.

Full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold (virus) and fellow defender Joel Matip (sore knee) will remain on Merseyside.

Liverpool are second in Group E with three points from two games.

England defender Joe Gomez is likely to fill in for Alexander-Arnold at right-back with Croatia centre-back Dejan Lovren poised to play alongside Virgil van Dijk in place of Matip.

The match at Genk is the first of two back-to-back fixtures against the Belgian side.

Liverpool squad: Alisson, Fabinho, Van Dijk, Wijnaldum, Lovren, Milner, Keita, Firmino, Mane, Salah, Gomez, Adrian, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Brewster, Robertson, Origi, Kelleher.

English dominance - best of the stats
This is the first meeting between KRC Genk and Liverpool in any competition.
Genk's only previous meetings with English opponents in European competition was in the 2011-12 Champions League group stage, drawing 1-1 at home and losing 5-0 at Stamford Bridge against Chelsea.
Liverpool have won all five of their European Cup/Champions League matches against Belgian teams, keeping five clean sheets in those games - one of those wins was in the 1978 European Cup final against Bruges (1-0).
English teams are unbeaten in their last 14 Champions League games against Belgian teams (W12 D2 L0) since Manchester United's 2-1 defeat at Anderlecht in October 2000 - five English teams have faced Belgian teams since then without losing (Leeds, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and Leicester).
Liverpool striker Roberto Firmino is the only player since the start of the 2017-18 season to have both scored and assisted 10 Champions League goals (14 goals, 10 assists) - although he has only scored or assisted in one of his last seven away games in the competition (one goal away at Porto).

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49874443

Liverpool defender Joel Matip is set to be sidelined indefinitely with a knee injury and could possibly be out until after the international break.

Matip has missed Liverpool‘s last two matches against Genk and Tottenham after experiencing discomfort in his knee when the Reds drew 1-1 at Manchester United.

The injury had initially occurred during the win over Sheffield United at the end of September and will come as a huge blow to the league leaders.

It means he will be absent for important clashes, starting with the Carabao Cup tie against Arsenal on Wednesday, Saturday’s Premier League trip to Aston Villa, the Champions League return with Genk and Manchester City’s visit to Anfield on November 10.

According to the Echo, Liverpool have not put a specific date on when Matip is likely to be back playing, with some reports suggesting he will be out for six weeks.

The former Schalke defender, who arrived at Anfield in 2016, has formed a impressive partnership alongside Virgil van Dijk this season, conceding just eight goals this season, the same as Leicester and Sheffield United.

In the absence of Matip, Jurgen Klopp appears to have opted to bring back in Dejan Lovren ahead of Joe Gomez.

Matip recently signed a a new contract with Liverpool that will see him stay at the club until 2024.

https://talksport.com/football/621968/liverpool-defender-joel-matip-out-for-six-weeks/

It was a penalty when their defender clearly hacked Mane down. Spurs opening the scoring so early gave us much time to bang a few past them as well even in the first half when we missed a few. Had Son put it in like he should have done instead of hitting the bar it was game over. Robertson and Trent are the best left and right backs in the world in my opinion, these two never tire running up and own the park all of ninety minutes. That we got Robbo so cheaply in this day is unbelievable, he must be worth at least £50 million in today's market. Harry Kane running his mouth about VVD calling him various things only made him look like a bigger fool afterwards then again he is probably fed up getting tanked by us repeatedly.

Captaining Liverpool is something full-back Trent Alexander-Arnold has "always dreamed of" and "would love to do one day".

The 21-year-old, born and raised in the city, is one short of 100 games for the club he made his debut for in 2016.

He became the youngest player to start two consecutive Champions League finals when Liverpool beat Tottenham in June.

Alexander-Arnold also said he has never thought about leaving Liverpool and "can't see that changing".

The England international said: "I am not shy in saying that [being captain] is a dream for me. Whether it comes true or not is not up to me; I don't pick who is captain.

"But that is something I would love to do one day. Captaining Liverpool is something I have always dreamed of and it is something that motivates me.

"I have always been a Liverpool player, Liverpool has always been my home. I have never thought about changing clubs.

"I always thought Liverpool was destined to be my club. When I grew up, the dream was always to play for Liverpool. Now I am living the dream and I can't see that changing."

But he explained how a lottery draw when he was six years old set him on the path to where he is today.

"It was a normal day at school coming up to half term and there was a summer camp going on at the [Liverpool] academy," he said. "They sent six or seven invites to my school. It was about encouraging young players to play football.

"Every child wanted to go, so names were picked out of a hat and mine came out. I went down on the Saturday with mum, nervous as anything - excited, couldn't sleep.

"I was nervous to see if I was going to fit in, if I was any good or not. I went in the morning and it was within the first hours, one of the members of staff went over to my mum and said: 'Can you start bringing him two or three times a week?'"

'When I was misbehaving in school, I wouldn't be allowed to train'
Trent Alexander-Arnold
Alexander-Arnold says he got help in improving his mindset from coach Alex Inglethorpe (left)
Alexander-Arnold grew up in the West Derby area of Liverpool and came up through the age groups at the club, captaining the Under-16 and Under-18 teams.

He said: "When I was 13 and at secondary school, the Liverpool academy started a scheme of bringing players out of school for two afternoons a week. You miss afternoon lessons to go training. But the school was reluctant to let me go; they wanted me to focus on education.

"Mum and dad always drilled into me: Education came before football. If I was naughty at school, I wasn't allowed to play football. The school wouldn't let me leave, so mum and dad made the choice to change my school so I could play more football.

"When I was misbehaving in school, I wouldn't be allowed to train. Mum would call the coach and say that I'd been naughty and would not be training."

He comes across as a mild-mannered player, but that was not always the case.

"When I was making mistakes, I was a sore loser," he said. "My reaction wasn't right. If I made a mistake, I would be out of the game for a minute or two. If I lost at the end of training, I would kick balls away, make a bad tackle. But I realised that wasn't the right way.

"Alex Inglethorpe, the first coach who stood up against me, told me that would hold me back and it was something we worked on for one season to make sure it stopped happening.

"It would eat me up a lot - but after you calmed down, you would realise how bad you have been; how it is not OK to treat people like that. It is about working hard, using your mentality as a positive and motivation."

Alexander-Arnold says the 2005 Champions League final parade went past his house
Alexander-Arnold first went to Anfield as a supporter in the spring of 2005, as Liverpool were in the midst of a memorable Champions League run under the management of Rafael Benitez.

He said: "My first game at Anfield was the Juventus Champions League quarter-final in 2005. We won 2-1. It is hard to describe; it was loud, chaos, so many bodies. I was still small, I was looking and trying to see things.

"I was walking up the steps and seeing the warm-ups, the bright lights, the songs. It was probably the most special game I have ever been to. It was my first one and I always wanted a taste of that."

Liverpool went on to win the trophy that season, coming back from three goals down to beat AC Milan on penalties in an extraordinary final in Istanbul.

"We were on the front wall when the parade came past our house, all our mates came," Alexander-Arnold said.

"The players then were everything, I had posters in my room of Gerrard and Carragher.

"I understand young kids in the city will think of me like that and that gives me a responsibility to be a good role model. There is stuff on and off the pitch that you have to do to show a good example."

Alexander-Arnold was given his first-team debut by Jurgen Klopp in October 2016, when Liverpool beat Spurs 2-1 in the fourth round of the EFL Cup.

He has since gone on to have his own big European nights. There was heartbreak in May 2018 as Liverpool lost the Champions League final 3-1 to Real Madrid in Kiev, but exhilaration a year later as Tottenham were defeated 2-0 in Madrid.

Alexander-Arnold started both finals, and credits Klopp with developing him into the sort of player who can deal with those occasions.

"He is someone who really made me who I am today," the defender said. "He has pushed me to get better on a day-to-day basis. He has given me so many opportunities, I could never repay him."

Racism is 'embarrassing' in this day and age
Alexander-Arnold has won seven international caps for England and was part of the squad for October's 6-0 European Championship qualifying win in Bulgaria, a match marred by racist abuse directed towards the Three Lions players by home fans.

Bulgaria were punished by Uefa by being given a two-game stadium ban - with half of that punishment suspended for two years.

"It was difficult, it was tough," Alexander-Arnold said. "Personally I had never faced it before. We got told there was the potential of it happening and we got told we had to follow certain procedures and that is what we did. The team handled it very well.

"We want to play football, win games and do our country proud. To face something like that is massively disappointing and something that should not be happening in this day and age; it is embarrassing.

"But these sort of things happen and you need to get your head round them and come out as the bigger people. That is what we did."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50250019

Last edited:
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has ruled out fielding different teams in two competitions in two countries - possibly on the same day - to solve the club's Carabao Cup quarter-final issue.

The Reds were drawn to play Aston Villa in the last eight in the week commencing 16 December, when they are in Qatar for the Fifa Club World Cup.

"We cannot leave any players at home for the Carabao Cup," said Klopp.

The Premier League is unlikely to allow Liverpool to move any top-flight games.

Their league game at West Ham United has already been postponed because of their participation in the tournament in the Middle East.

The Anfield club and the EFL are in talks over an alternative date but Klopp said there was "no final decision yet".

"We have two games there [Qatar] in a very busy period," the German added.

"It's not that we can go there with 11 players and say they play the two games in Qatar and the other guys play in England against Aston Villa. It doesn't work like that.

"We have to make the decision and we will make the decision - but not yet."

There appear to be no potential slots in December, a month when Liverpool already have eight fixtures scheduled - five in the Premier League, their final Champions League group match and two Club World Cup games.

There is a midweek window after the FA Cup third round on the first weekend in January - but that would mean playing the Villa tie when the first legs of the EFL Cup semi-finals are due to take place.

Another midweek slot is potentially available in the week commencing 13 January, before the second legs take place in the week beginning 27 January.

The EFL Cup final is on 1 March and Klopp questioned the logic of the competition having two-legged semi-finals.

"After a very busy schedule in December, there is two [legged] semi-finals," he said.

"It is an easy decision for me to say: 'OK, if you keep that competition, why have two (legged) semi-finals?'"

BBC Sport understands the EFL is not planning any change to the format of the two-legged EFL Cup semi-finals.

Liverpool 'not able to play' quarter-final unless fixtures change
Liverpool's fixture pile-up (Premier League unless stated)
4 December Everton (h)
7 December Bournemouth (a)
10 December Red Bull Salzburg (a) Champions League
14 December Watford (h)
16 December Week of EFL Cup quarter-finals
18 December TBC (Qatar) Club World Cup
21 December TBC (Qatar) Club World Cup
26 December Leicester City (a)
29 December Wolverhampton Wanderers (h)
2 January Sheffield United (h)
4 & 5 January FA Cup third round
6 January Week of EFL Cup semi-final first legs
11 January Tottenham Hotspur (a)
19 January Manchester United (h)
23 January Wolverhampton Wanderers (a)
27 January Week of EFL Cup semi-final second legs
1 February Southampton (h)

'Leagues need to think about players and not wallets'
The problems faced by Liverpool over their fixture congestion also resulted in Klopp urging football's authorities to discuss the workload on players.

"It's obvious that it's too much," said the former Borussia Dortmund manager. "Everybody involved in the game would tell you that.

"At the moment there is an imbalance between the number of players in the squad, the competitions you have to play, and a big gap between the breaks the boys need and get.

"The Manes, Salahs, Hendersons - all these guys have two weeks off a year, in a physically demanding job.

"The solutions? I think there are a few possible but the leagues have to sit and really discuss, and think about the players and maybe not about their wallet.

"These are the games we have to play - and we play them with all we have - but somebody has to think about how many games."

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola said he had sympathy with Klopp and agreed that there are too many games for top-flight players.

"If we have bigger squads, how do we pay them? We need less fixtures, less competitions, more recovery," the Spaniard said on Friday.

"But I have been in meetings and it's always the same. We just talk about it.

"I'm completely with Jurgen when he makes these statements - it's too much.

"I had to prioritise Ilkay Gundogan for the last game - no Kevin [de Bruyne], no David Silva. Other clubs do the same."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50263476

Premier League stats: Liverpool kings of the last-gasp winner

It was a dramatic weekend at the top of the Premier League, with plenty of late twists to digest as Liverpool found a very late equaliser and a stoppage-time winner at Aston Villa.

Manchester United were once fabled for their crucial goals in 'Fergie time', but these days they are becoming something of a speciality for Jurgen Klopp's leaders.

Meanwhile, Merseyside neighbours Everton also provided late drama but Dele Alli's undefeated run goes on.

BBC Sport takes a look at the weekend's key Premier League statistics.

Mane and Liverpool leave it late again
Liverpool started and ended the day with a six-point advantage over Manchester City, but the prospective gap changed throughout the afternoon - as high as seven, and down to three - as both sides made heavy weather of overcoming opponents from the bottom half of the table.

Sadio Mane had the final say, converting in the fourth minute of stoppage time to protect the Reds' advantage going into City's trip to Anfield on Sunday.

Mane becomes only the fourth player to score four winners in the 90th minute or later in the Premier League, matching the achievements of Papiss Cisse, Steven Gerrard and Ian Wright.

There are 11 players to register three - with Christian Benteke the only one of those still active in the English top flight.

It was also the 35th time Liverpool have scored a 90th-minute winner in the Premier League era, making them clear leaders in that department.

They have managed 10 more than any other side in the competition's history, with only a handful of teams registering more than 20.

Five of those late winners have come since the start of last season. That too is more than any other side, with only Cardiff City and Wolves managing three in that time.

Tosun joins late list but Alli's run goes on
There was to be even more late drama on Sunday.

Liverpool's Merseyside rivals Everton rescued a point against Tottenham at Goodison Park, as Cenk Tosun pounced with 96 minutes and 57 seconds on the clock.

That was the latest goal to be scored in a Premier League match for almost three years, since Alexis Sanchez struck for Arsenal against Burnley after 97 minutes and 14 seconds in January 2017.

However, Tosun's goal arrived almost five minutes earlier than Dirk Kuyt's strike against Arsenal in 2011 - the latest to be scored as far as exact time data exists from 2003-04 onwards.

While Tosun's late strike denied Spurs victory, it was not enough to end Dele Alli's undefeated record.

The England midfielder extended his Premier League record of never losing when he has scored to 39 matches.

It's good, but it's not quite James Milner...

If Aguero shoots, he scores (most of the time)
Champions Manchester City had an agonising wait, but they finally broke Southampton resistance in the 70th minute with their first shot on target.

It was the longest Pep Guardiola's side have had to wait for a first shot on target in the Premier League since December 2016, when they were kept at bay until the 82nd minute by Leicester in a 4-2 defeat.

Only on eight occasions have Guardiola's City failed to have a shot on target in the first half of a league game, and interestingly Southampton have been the opposition in exactly half of those games.

Crucially for City, though, Aguero kick-started City's fightback with his ninth goal from just 10 shots on target in the Premier League this season.

On the subject of goalscoring feats, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang got his 50th goal for Arsenal on Saturday.

That milestone arrived in only his 78th game for the Gunners in all competitions, making him the quickest to reach it for Arsenal since Wright reached 50 in 10 fewer games in 1993.

Only six Arsenal players have got to 50 goals in fewer games than the Gabon international - it even took club legend Thierry Henry 83.

Not to be outdone, however, Wolves' striker Raul Jimenez cancelled out Aubameyang's opener for his 11th goal in all competitions this season. Only Aguero and Sterling, with 13, currently boast a better return among Premier League players.

But perhaps the striker celebrating the most this weekend was Watford's Gerard Deulofeu.

After failing to score with any of his first 25 shots in the league this season, the Spaniard finally found the back of the net at the 26th attempt against Chelsea.

Deulofeu's shot conversion rate of 3.8% is the joint-lowest of anyone to score in the Premier League in 2019-20, with only Arsenal's Nicolas Pepe matching his unfortunate record.

The names above should get some tips from Sheffield United's unforgiving Lys Mousset, who has converted 100% of his three shots on target so far.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50283016

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pep Guardiola: "Sometimes it is diving, sometimes it is this talent to score incredible goals in the last minute."<br><br>Jurgen Klopp: "Sadio is not a diver..."<br><br>It's heating up ahead of Sunday's clash already! &#55357;&#56384; <a href="https://t.co/crwKg5zkSN">pic.twitter.com/crwKg5zkSN</a></p>— Match of the Day (@BBCMOTD) <a href="https://twitter.com/BBCMOTD/status/1191383635326308352?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 4, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has hit back at Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola after he accused Sadio Mane of being a diver.

Mane, the Liverpool and Senegal forward, was booked at Aston Villa on Saturday for simulation, before scoring a header in stoppage-time to secure a 2-1 win for the Reds.

Guardiola, speaking after City's comeback win against Southampton on Saturday, reacted by saying "sometimes Mane's diving, sometimes he has this talent to score incredible goals in the last minute".

But his words did not go well with Klopp, who said: "I'm not really in a Man City mood at the moment.

"Do I like that he says this about one of my players? I'm not even 100 per cent sure if he spoke about Sadio [Mane] or us in general. I didn't hear Sadio's name.

"I don't know how he could have known about any incident in the game so quickly after [their game against Southampton].

"Sadio is not a diver. There was a situation in the Aston Villa game where he got a contact and went down. Maybe it wasn't a penalty but there was contact - it's not like jumping over a leg and acting like he hit you."

It is not the first time Mane has been scrutinised for going down too easily this season.

The former Southampton forward won late penalties for Liverpool in narrow victories over Leicester and Tottenham last month.

But Klopp, speaking ahead of Tuesday's Champions League group game against Belgian side Genk, maintained that Mane is not a cheat.

"All the other penalties were penalties because he was in that situation and stayed there," added Klopp.

"I'm 100 sure if something like this would happen for Man City they would want to have a penalty because somebody kicked a player in the box and it's a penalty."

"I'm absolutely not in the mood to talk about Manchester City. I really want to talk about Genk or us, but not about the game on Sunday."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...io-mane-after-pep-guardiola-calls-him-a-diver

Liverpool will field different teams in two separate competitions within 24 hours after the EFL announced the date of their Carabao Cup quarter-final with Aston Villa will not be changed.

The Reds will play at Villa on 17 December at 19:45 GMT and will compete in the Club World Cup semi-final in Qatar the following day at 17:30 GMT.

Manager Jurgen Klopp had ruled out the prospect of playing both fixtures.

But the EFL said keeping the date followed a "request from the club".

A Liverpool statement said: "We would like to thank the EFL for their efforts to accommodate us and we can confirm alternative dates were discussed, but ultimately none were considered suitable without compromising the scheduling of the competition itself or placing an undue strain on our playing staff.

"As a result, we will be utilising two playing squads simultaneously, with one squad participating in the Fifa Club World Cup in Qatar and another in the Carabao Cup.

"The club would like to take this opportunity to underline that while this is not an ideal scenario, it is an outcome which was arrived at with the best interests of the competition, our fellow clubs and ourselves as the sole motivating factor."

Liverpool now have nine fixtures in December, with a run that includes a league match at home to Watford on 14 December, the EFL Cup tie with Villa three days later, a first Club World Cup game the following day and a final match in the competition on 21 December.

Klopp's side then return to league action away at Leicester on 26 December.

An EFL statement said Liverpool had committed to "fielding a team that is largely consistent with those that have participated in earlier rounds of this season's competition" at Villa Park.

EFL football services director Dave Cookson said: "In these exceptional circumstances the decision was taken having received clear assurances from the club that there will be a level of consistency in team selection, a feature which is key to ensuring integrity is maintained."

The EFL said maintaining the fixture date was "the best decision in minimising the impact of rescheduling the final stages of the competition".

There are no midweek slots available in 2019 other than during international breaks and the first legs of the EFL Cup semi-finals are scheduled to be played in the week commencing 6 January.

When fixtures pile up...
In April, Venezuelan club Deportivo Lara played two matches in the space of six hours - one of which was in the Copa Libertadores - and won both.

On the same day, Venezuelan side Zamora played two fixtures 4,000 miles apart, losing 4-0 at Deportivo La Guaira in the league and 3-2 at Brazilian side Atletico Mineiro in the Copa Libertadores.

Arsenal and Manchester United played on consecutive days in November 2001. The Gunners lost 4-2 to Charlton in the Premier League on 4 November and on the same day United were beaten 3-1 by Liverpool at Anfield, also in the league.

On 5 November, Arsenal beat United 4-0 in the League Cup.

And in November 1987, striker Mark Hughes played for Wales and Bayern Munich in two countries on the same day.

After playing for his country, Hughes recalled: "There was a Lada to whisk us off after the match. I had to get changed into my kit on the plane."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50309214

[MENTION=53290]Markhor[/MENTION] one day you will put us over :mv

Jürgen Klopp: Liverpool manager says 'we cannot carry on like this' over fixture congestion

Jürgen Klopp says "we cannot carry on like this" after it was decided his Liverpool side will play two games in two days in December.

The Reds face Aston Villa in the Carabao Cup quarter-final on 17 December before playing the Club World Cup semi-final in Qatar the next day.

"We have to find solutions," said Klopp. "The problems are obvious.

"Every year we do the same again. Some find it funny - 'five games in three days - let's see how it works out'."

From 23 November to 2 January, Liverpool face a testing period of 12 games in 37 days in four competitions - the Premier League, Champions League, EFL Cup and Club World Cup - with an FA Cup third-round tie still to be determined in the first week of 2020.

On Friday, Klopp had ruled out the possibility of fielding two different Liverpool sides in two competitions in two continents, but a club statement on Tuesday said although it was "not an ideal scenario" the outcome was reached in the "best interests of the competition".

The EFL confirmed the date for the last-eight tie against Villa would be kept following a "request from the club".

Speaking after goals from Georginio Wijnaldum and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain earned the Reds a 2-1 Champions League victory over Genk at Anfield, Klopp said: "Do we want to be in trouble with Fifa or the EFL? Probably not and we respect the competitions.

"The Carabao Cup makes it sound like we don't want to play in it.

"That is not true, but I don't understand two games in the semi-final. I don't like that in a busy period of the season.

"You only play the Club World Cup if you win the Champions League, and that does not happen in your life five million times so you take that opportunity. Is it the best time of the year? Nope. We will go there, we will try to play all the games with all that we have."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50311637

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp says the assault that resulted in serious brain injuries to Reds fan Sean Cox is "the lowest point" of his time at the club.

Cox, 54, was attacked by Roma fans before a Champions League game at Anfield in April 2018.

He will return to the ground for the first time since the incident for Sunday's game against Manchester City.

"I hope we can organise that I can see him for a couple of minutes before the game. I really want to," said Klopp.

After almost 18 months of treatment in the Republic of Ireland, Cox moved to a specialist neurological facility in the north of England for a 12-week rehabilitation programme, focusing on developing his speech and movement.

His wife Martina said he had made progress since the attack, but it has been slow and "his speech remains very challenged".

A legends charity match staged at the Aviva Stadium in April this year raised 748,000 euros for the Sean Cox Rehabilitation Trust.

Cox and his family will be guests of Premier League leaders Liverpool for the game against City.

"When it happened to Sean, it was the lowest point of my time at Liverpool," said Klopp.

"Something like this should not happen in general in life and it should not happen around a football game as well.

"We all know it's not finished yet and there is a long way to go.

"If we can give him the opportunity to come back to watch a really big game - and that he wants to do that - that for me, coming from a really low point, is one of my highlights since I have been here."

Italian fan Simone Mastrelli was sentenced to three and a half years in prison after pleading guilty to assaulting Cox.

The growing Liverpool and Man City rivalry
Premier League champions City are six points behind Champions League holders Liverpool going into the game.

"From a sport's point of view this rivalry is getting bigger and bigger," said Klopp.

"Obviously Manchester Ciy are a pretty good football team and thank God there is a rivalry because it means we are a pretty good team as well."

Meanwhile, Klopp reassured City they should have no concerns about their arrival at Anfield.

The Etihad side's bus was attacked as it made its way to the stadium before a Champions League quarter-final in April 2018 and City have sought assurances that there will be no repeat.

"If someone from City is concerned still, it's our fault," said Klopp.

"We all didn't throw a bottle, but it was one of us. All of us have to make sure that something like that never happens again.

"We will do everything to make sure it doesn't happen again."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50345843

Mohamed Salah's return date for Liverpool remains unclear with the forward continuing to have treatment on his ankle injury, following his withdrawal from the Egypt squad on Tuesday.

Salah has been ruled out of Egypt's upcoming internationals versus Kenya and Comoros due to the ongoing problem and the forward was pictured wearing a protective boot on his left foot in Cairo, as he sat out of an Egypt training session.

Sky Sports News understands Salah has been given the chance to train away from Liverpool's Melwood training ground as he continues his rehabilitation, and the club will grant him an extended period of time off over the international break.

It remains unclear how long he will be sidelined for but the forward, who has nine goals in 17 appearances in all competitions for the Reds this term, remains a doubt for Liverpool's next Premier League clash against Crystal Palace on November 23.

The 27-year-old originally suffered the injury in Liverpool's 2-1 win over Leicester City on October 5, hobbling off the pitch at Anfield after coming under a second-half challenge from Foxes midfielder Hamza Choudhury.

Since that game, he scored in Liverpool's 4-1 away win over Genk in the Champions League and was substituted off after scoring a penalty in the victory over Tottenham.

Salah headed in an Andy Robertson cross during the first-half last Sunday in Liverpool's crucial victory over Premier League title rivals Manchester City.

He was taken off in the 87th minute at Anfield and replaced by defender Joe Gomez with Jurgen Klopp's side looking to close out the 3-1 triumph.

https://www.skysports.com/football/...rwards-return-date-unclear-after-ankle-injury

Salah has been struggling for few weeks. Klopp should rest him for a week or two. Bring in Ox or Origi in his place.

Dec is gonna be such an important month with ten matches or something. If Salah and Robbo are out it will make it doubly difficult for the boys.

Former Liverpool defender Dominic Matteo has had surgery on a brain tumour, the Anfield club have said.

A Liverpool club statement said the 45-year-old former Scotland international had an operation on Monday and has since come out of intensive care.

Matteo made 155 Reds appearances between 1993 and 2000 before joining Leeds United.

He helped the Elland Road side reach the Champions League semi-finals in 2001 and later captained the club.

"The thoughts of everyone at the club are with Dom, his family and friends and we will be offering our support to them throughout this difficult time," said Liverpool's statement.

Peter McDowall, a presenter on LFC TV, on which Matteo is a regular pundit and commentator, posted on social media: "Horrible few days but he's doing well. We love you Dom, more than you know."

Matteo also had spells with Blackburn Rovers and Stoke City before retiring as a player in 2009.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50444333

Back