"M Arthur told me the best place for Asad Shafiq is to go back to his old position" : Waqar Younis

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
"M Arthur told me the best place for Asad Shafiq is to go back to his old position" : Waqar Younis

Smart move to put Babar on 3 and let Shafiq go back to 6?

This is shambolic stuff. Shafiq should continue at three for now. He is being demoted just because of a few failures but instead Mickey should have tried to give him some confidence rather than this.

no brainer. Asad has to hide at #6 otherwise his test career will be over soon

No one can hide anywhere

Question is where do they score most

So, Pak have to accommodate him, instead of playing an A/R?

This is simply not acceptable and he should either be dropped or score runs at the top.

No way, Pak can go in with 4 bowlers in Aus and risk fatigue to the bowlers, like we saw in Eng.

He's absolutely right. Shafiq scored 2 pairs while at 3, and whilst he is a really solid batsman, he does not have the mentality to survive at 3. At the moment, 6 is ideal, but once Misbah and YK retire, he should bat at 5.

This is simply not acceptable and he should either be dropped or score runs at the top.

No way, Pak can go in with 4 bowlers in Aus and risk fatigue to the bowlers, like we saw in Eng.

No one is being accommodated here

Drop Babar if that is the case

So drop someone averaging 40+, with the most number of centuries at number 6, a consistent performer for the last 6 years, simply because he isn't scoring runs at his unnatural position? Not ideal.

There's no need for an allrounder for the sake of it. Look at Australia, they persisted with an allrounder at 6, and as a result a bloke with a 29 FC average was batting in the top 6. If a team doesn't have a good allrounder, they shouldn't get bits and pieces players to bat at the important position of number 6.

This is a very bad move.

Misbah said it was going to be long-term and they should've stuck to that.

no brainer. Asad has to hide at #6 otherwise his test career will be over soon

Yep, he has to hide at a position where he has scored 8 100s (the most ever at number 6), and averages 40+ despite batting with the tail a lot.

I'm indifferent to this move because in the long run, Babar needs to play at 3 in all formats. I do believe in the old school theory that your best batsman has to bat at 3.

Rashid Latif today mentioned that after the two 0s, it was better if Shafiq was allowed back to no.6, as he has experience at that position, and let him get his form back from there

No one is being accommodated here

Drop Babar if that is the case

Then why the talk about taking him to his original position?

Everyone is aware Pak needs an A/R, but with him failing at the top and Nawaz failing, Pak have lost out on 2 batsmen.

Had he done something, then he may have allowed for another A/R to be tried, but his failure is a hindrance.

So drop someone averaging 40+, with the most number of centuries at number 6, a consistent performer for the last 6 years, simply because he isn't scoring runs at his unnatural position? Not ideal.

There's no need for an allrounder for the sake of it. Look at Australia, they persisted with an allrounder at 6, and as a result a bloke with a 29 FC average was batting in the top 6. If a team doesn't have a good allrounder, they shouldn't get bits and pieces players to bat at the important position of number 6.

He just got replaced at the top by someone who is playing his 2nd match, whilst he has been playing for 6 years (as you mentioned).

This is an embarrassing scenario because it should be the other way around and Babar should be batting at no. 6 to help him grow.

Also, he has primarily batted in Asia, but still averaging in the low 40's?

Lastly, Pak do need an A/R and it isn't just for the sake of it and it was glaringly obvious on the Eng tour.

I do think this is quite right move for short as well as long term...

Babar Azam has consolidated his position as Pakistan's No. 3 batsman in limited overs cricket, and he is not a hack but a proper batsman - and probably one of the most technically correct batsman in our side. He earned promotion to Test side after 3 consecutive tons in ODI cricket. And he scored all those as No. 3.

So it's natural that he is being touted as a long term No. 3 for Pakistan in all formats. If he achieves success as a No. 3 in all formats for Pakistan, it will make our batting team an incredibly consistent one. A good and consistent No. 3 batsman carries the whole batting lineup. That's why it is probably the most important batting position.

As a short term solution it also makes sense, Asad Shafiq was struggling to get in terms as a No. 3. He was unsure whether to attack or defend. So it is better for him to move back to a position where he is comfortable.

Everyone is aware Pak needs an A/R, but with him failing at the top and Nawaz failing, Pak have lost out on 2 batsmen.

Had he done something, then he may have allowed for another A/R to be tried, but his failure is a hindrance.

He just got replaced at the top by someone who is playing his 2nd match, whilst he has been playing for 6 years (as you mentioned).

This is an embarrassing scenario because it should be the other way around and Babar should be batting at no. 6 to help him grow.

Lastly, Pak do need an A/R and it isn't just for the sake of it and it was glaringly obvious on the Eng tour.

If batting at number 6 is so easy why haven't other legends of the game made more centuries or more runs even though they've played similar number or more innings there than shafiq?

Also if we can manufacture all rounders out of thin air then your point stands but as it is in domestics there is no one capable of batting at a good enough level and bowling well to be considered an all rounder. Especially for these conditions but even generally

If batting at number 6 is so easy why haven't other legends of the game made more centuries or more runs even though they've played similar number or more innings there than shafiq?

Also if we can manufacture all rounders out of thin air then your point stands but as it is in domestics there is no one capable of batting at a good enough level and bowling well to be considered an all rounder. Especially for these conditions but even generally

Oh I don't know, maybe because they eventually move up?

The guy has been playing for 6 years and still can't be trusted at the top - embarrassing.

Babar has just got out and the poor guy shouldn't be at no. 3 in his second match, whilst this guy after 6 years is still hogging the no. 6 spot like a newbie.

Nope.

It's pathetic, Misbah/YK are not going to be around for ages, best spot for Shafiq is 4/5, 3 for a while would have been a good position for him, but they protect him and throw him back at 6 and act like he wasn't getting ducks at 6.

I'm indifferent to this move because in the long run, Babar needs to play at 3 in all formats. I do believe in the old school theory that your best batsman has to bat at 3.

Babar is not our best batsman.

I agree with your point that Babar shouldn't be batting at number 3. Azhar should, and a proper opener should be in the team as well. However, I still disagree with your point about Pakistan needing an allrounder. It's clear that they would benefit from having one, but they shouldn't play an allrounder if there is no one good enough to bat at 6. There are plenty of good bowlers who bat a bit, but they would be best at number 8 (Amad Butt, for example). At number 6 you need someone who can bat. At the moment, I don't think Pakistan have an all rounder that can bat at 6 though.

Oh I don't know, maybe because they eventually move up?

The guy has been playing for 6 years and still can't be trusted at the top - embarrassing.

Babar has just got out and the poor guy shouldn't be at no. 3 in his second match, whilst this guy after 6 years is still hogging the no. 6 spot like a newbie.

That's just not factually correct

Some of these great players had more innings at number 6 than shafiq so the moving up argument doesn't stack up in this context

This entire mess is because Azhar was moved up to open and the vital no3 position will now once again be a musical chairs as it was before Azhar.

Put Azhar back to 3 and bring in proper openers.

Some of these great players had more innings at number 6 than shafiq so the moving up argument doesn't stack up in this context

today should be an embarrassing day for Asad Shafiq. He has been replaced in top order by a batsman who was playing his 2nd test :facepalm:

today should be an embarrassing day for Asad Shafiq. He has been replaced in top order by a batsman who was playing his 2nd test :facepalm:
And that guy got out twice.

Clearly not ready

This entire mess is because Azhar was moved up to open and the vital no3 position will now once again be a musical chairs as it was before Azhar.

totally agree. #3 is the most important position and pakistan found a gem in Azhar in there and yet he was moved :facepalm:

Babar Azam looked ridiculously overconfident in this innings, atleast give the opposition bowlers some respect..

He was out twice in this innings, needs to be demoted to no.6

The guy is forgetting he is playing a test match

Where do you manufacture these openers from?

Do you know why was Azhar even put up there? Because ALL openers we tried were failing and Azhar was virtually an opener anyway

I don't get how some Pak fans are so out of touch and say thinggs like 'bring proper openers' or proper pace bowling all rounder etc when we clearly don't have them. Where are they coming from?

I agree with your point that Babar shouldn't be batting at number 3. Azhar should, and a proper opener should be in the team as well. However, I still disagree with your point about Pakistan needing an allrounder. It's clear that they would benefit from having one, but they shouldn't play an allrounder if there is no one good enough to bat at 6. There are plenty of good bowlers who bat a bit, but they would be best at number 8 (Amad Butt, for example). At number 6 you need someone who can bat. At the moment, I don't think Pakistan have an all rounder that can bat at 6 though.

Why should Pak risk playing another opener, when both Azhar and Sami have done so well?

Simple solution, Sarfraz will bat at no. 6 and he is more than capable of batting there.

Also, just look at what happened today with Babar at no. 3 (especially in foreign conditions), instead of shafiq taking responsibility and being the veteran is playing at no. 6 - pathetic.

Clearly not ready

of course Babar Azam is not ready for #3 fgs he is playing his 2nd test. he should be eased into the team by playing at lower middle order at #6. and that was the plan but Mr. Asad failed so spectacularly at #3 against WI that Misbah had no choice; Misbah cannot let the investment Paksitan made on Asad go to drain; now Asad has to show the gratitude and repay it by scoring runs at #6 and get Pakistan out of jail

Knee jerk reaction...:facepalm:

The sad part is that Shafiq didn't even do that bad, got a pair in one match, everyone has a bad match. Scored 2 60s in the test before that, and overall his run of 4 tests comprised of a 100 and 3 fifties. Poor from the management...

Yeah, why not name some of these legends then?

Why should Pak risk playing another opener, when both Azhar and Sami have done so well?

Simple solution, Sarfraz will bat at no. 6 and he is more than capable of batting there.

Also, just look at what happened today with Babar at no. 3 (especially in foreign conditions), instead of shafiq taking responsibility and being the veteran is playing at no. 6 - pathetic.
Yea shafiq decided his batting order :facepalm:

The question is: by moving players up and down, did Mickey Arthur invent a problem that didn't exist in the first place?

What happens if Babar fails at 3. Does he swap places with Shafiq again or someone else will be promoted to 3.

Last thing that we need is the number 3 position to be passed around like a hot potato.

Ponting, Border, LLoyd, De Villiers, Greig

He has similar record and more centuries to all of them after around similar number of matches

Yea shafiq decided his batting order :facepalm:

No, but he certainly decided to fail and show himself to be a failure at the top to the new coach, selectors and captain despite playing for 6 years. :facepalm:

The question is: by moving players up and down, did Mickey Arthur invent a problem that didn't exist in the first place?

What happens if Babar fails at 3. Does he swap places with Shafiq again or someone else will be promoted to 3.

Last thing that we need is the number 3 position to be passed around like a hot potato.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." #3 was the most settled position with Azhar and now its a mess. would put the blame squarely on Mickey

image.jpeg

This was record till last year at no.6 (you can go on cricinfo for later at record but it's about same)

Please educate yourself and don't flaunt your ignorance next time

If we had Shafiq as no.3, it was stopped the wickets slow...

Arthur got it really wrong.. we had a very very good start..

Azam is a ridiculous decision honeslty, he was batting like he batted against WI lineup, with no due respect to the opposition

Ponting, Border, LLoyd, De Villiers, Greig

He has similar record and more centuries to all of them after around similar number of matches

I've looked into it and only 2 of those guys have played more than shafiq (Greig and Border).

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." #3 was the most settled position with Azhar and now its a mess. would put the blame squarely on Mickey

And previously the openers were a mess and now they are settled. What is your point? Which team has a lineup where everything is perfect and all batsmen score a hundred every game?

And previously the openers were a mess and now they are settled. What is your point? Which team has a lineup where everything is perfect and all batsmen score a hundred every game?

openers are not settled; Azhar is failing way more as an opener than at #3;

Oh and do remind me, how many games in Asia, compared to the others?

lol

So now that's the qualification:))

He has runs and centuries in England and South Africa as well. Obv most of his runs will be in Asia because that's where he bloody well plays. Also it's not like other batsmen from outside Asia don't have same home domination and struggle abroad including in Asia

Also somehow it's his fault that he plays in Asia and 4 of the 9 test playing nations are in Asia :)))

You can keep adding qualifications and I can keep destroying them but I guess it's better to call it a day and you to go to your corner

Last edited:
lol

So now that's the qualification:))

He has runs and centuries in England and South Africa as well. Obv most of his runs will be in Asia because that's where he bloody well plays. Also it's not like other batsmen from outside Asia don't have same home domination and struggle abroad including in Asia

Also somehow it's his fault that he plays in Asia and 4 of the 9 test playing nations are in Asia :)))

You can keep adding qualifications and I can keep destroying them but I guess it's better to call it a day and you to go to your corner

What qualifications do you mean?

I didn't set any previous qualifications either and I simply told you to mention these legends you were talking about.

The fact still remains, he has filled his boots in Asia, played for 6 years and still can't be trusted at the top - embarrassing.

Right move. Babar is our long term number 3 in Test cricket while Shafiq should be promoted to 4 once Misbah retires

What qualifications do you mean?

I didn't set any previous qualifications either and I simply told you to mention these legends you were talking about.

The fact still remains, he has filled his boots in Asia, played for 6 years and still can't be trusted at the top - embarrassing.
Well I guess you need to check the definition of the word 'fact' because you clearly don't know what it means. He has centuries in England and South Africa as well and not a lot of our batsmen can claim that.

Your initial claim was that he isn't comparable to the legends since you asked for proof and alluded it want true and I have you evidence stating that you're wrong. And the theme continued after that. Now that's embarrassing

Well I guess you need to check the definition of the word 'fact' because you clearly don't know what it means. He has centuries in England and South Africa as well and not a lot of our batsmen can claim that.

Your initial claim was that he isn't comparable to the legends since you asked for proof and alluded it want true and I have you evidence stating that you're wrong. And the theme continued after that. Now that's embarrassing

Wait a minute, you're telling me those guys didn't move up the order eventually?

Is that what you're trying to claim?

Wait a minute, you're telling me those guys didn't move up the order eventually?

Is that what you're trying to claim?

No I'm not claiming anything

I'm just stating facts

You are maybe trying to read into a situation in search of a cop out when your initial positions have been exposed to have no grounds. Keep looking.

No I'm not claiming anything

I'm just stating facts

You are maybe trying to read into a situation in search of a cop out when your initial positions have been exposed to have no grounds. Keep looking.

Like I said, my problem is him coming back down to no. 6, whilst someone playing his 2nd match is playing at no. 3 and we can't play an A/R.

So, tell me - did those guys eventually move up or not?

First really disappointing move from Mickey. Asad showed in the very first game at #3 in overseas conditions, under immense pressure, that the move was long overdue. Just because he couldn't convert few starts against a lowly ranked team in home conditions doesn't mean that you should revert to the archaic and defensive strategy. He is the guy who has the right game for #3. Solid defense and tries to play within his limitation earlier on against new ball.

Babar Azam is just a wee bit more lose with regards to his stroke play and should learn his trade at #6 for the time being.

All in all, a move that reeks of panic and impatience.

Last edited:
I'm gonna see what happens in the next innings before making a knee-jerk reaction. :p

This is a very bad move.

Misbah said it was going to be long-term and they should've stuck to that.

Clearly not ready

Where do you manufacture these openers from?

Do you know why was Azhar even put up there? Because ALL openers we tried were failing and Azhar was virtually an opener anyway

I don't get how some Pak fans are so out of touch and say thinggs like 'bring proper openers' or proper pace bowling all rounder etc when we clearly don't have them. Where are they coming from?

Knee jerk reaction...:facepalm:

The sad part is that Shafiq didn't even do that bad, got a pair in one match, everyone has a bad match. Scored 2 60s in the test before that, and overall his run of 4 tests comprised of a 100 and 3 fifties. Poor from the management...

I do not understand why people are complaining.

Playing Babar at 3 is the best way to develop him - he is already playing that position in ODI's.

I do not care for a few failures as long as it is part of the learning process for him and he gets better with experience.

Shafiq had great success at nomber 6 so he should there or otherwise face the drop - he is in his comfort zone at that position and will likely succeed (and no he is not our best batsman).

Seems like Shafiq's fans are complaining about his batting position now which is completely irrelevant here. He is going to score the same amount of runs (one good inning in one series) regardless of when he comes to bat.

I would rather see Babar at #3 who has the potential to be his team's main batsman.

Point I'm trying to make is, you don't put someone at #3, say they're long term, and then demote them a couple games later.

Yes that would be a terrible mistake...

Now as Babar has been given the responsibility of No. 3, he needs to be assured by captain and coach that (if he remains fit) he is No. 3 batsman for NZ series, Aus series and atleast one series after that. That's the only way to go...

Batting line is fine guys...
What im worried about is the aftermath of YK and Midbah retirements?

Who do we really have?

Fawad Alam not trusted by the establusment?

Umar Akmal who can barely get into T20 side or...

Haris Sohail who hasnt played for the past 18 months?

Anyone else?

I do not understand why people are complaining.

Playing Babar at 3 is the best way to develop him - he is already playing that position in ODI's.

I do not care for a few failures as long as it is part of the learning process for him and he gets better with experience.

Shafiq had great success at nomber 6 so he should there or otherwise face the drop - he is in his comfort zone at that position and will likely succeed (and no he is not our best batsman).

Shafiq had great success at the top as well, 3 fifties and a century, had one bad match. Babar should've came at 6 anyways, don't throw the new kid at 3, as well as the fact that Shafiq didn't do that poorly and deserved this series at the top of the order at least.

Point I'm trying to make is, you don't put someone at #3, say they're long term, and then demote them a couple games later.

Mickey has made a mess of batting order :facepalm: should have just let Misbah handle it

Especially considering he has done okay in the position apart from one striker of a match

Ideally he should bat at 4. Once Misbah retires Asad should move up to 5 and then eventually 4.

Batting line is fine guys...
What im worried about is the aftermath of YK and Midbah retirements?

Who do we really have?

Fawad Alam not trusted by the establusment?

Umar Akmal who can barely get into T20 side or...

Haris Sohail who hasnt played for the past 18 months?

Anyone else?

usman salahuddin..

Messed up.. I think shafiq should be given long run at 3.. he will be the key.. his problem was not making big scores at 3.. he usually take time to move from 0 score to 1. and then slowly he get into his groove.. problem is big innings.. which he would have learned by playing at 3 or 4. At 6 you cannot expect having big scores that is why his capability was dented he surely is a better bet at 3 then babar.

Problem is moving shafiq back to 6 is huge problem now.. even if he realizes shafiq will be good at 3 then he cannot change his position. so it was knee jerk reaction from pak management to send him at 6 after a pair.

so the inexperienced player needs to be pushed to 3 to accomodate the experienced player at 6? Seems strange to me. 6 is often the position to blood in new players, it's an easier position to bat generally. That's the reason why Asad is "one of the best players at no.6" ever as most players would have moved up instead of staying at 6.

Babar can stay at 3 as he's sort of cementing that position in LOI. But really Asad's gonna have to move up the order sooner or later, YK and Misbah will eventually retire. Tbh though think Asad's fine at 3, he'll improve as he gets used to it and even then it's not like he hasn't been scoring half centuries there. I would have stuck with Asad at 3. I'd rather have kept Babar at 6 atm.

so the inexperienced player needs to be pushed to 3 to accomodate the experienced player at 6? Seems strange to me. 6 is often the position to blood in new players, it's an easier position to bat generally. That's the reason why Asad is "one of the best players at no.6" ever as most players would have moved up instead of staying at 6.

Babar can stay at 3 as he's sort of cementing that position in LOI. But really Asad's gonna have to move up the order sooner or later, YK and Misbah will eventually retire. Tbh though think Asad's fine at 3, he'll improve as he gets used to it and even then it's not like he hasn't been scoring half centuries there. I would have stuck with Asad at 3. I'd rather have kept Babar at 6 atm.

the pair Asad got at #3 in last test against WI really messed up the whole thing and management panic; Mickey also might be culprit of forcing the issue of Babar at #3 in all formats

Plenty of Comments about. Why Babar is Back. The west indies defeat and this first innings batting collapse (Against NZ) is proof enough that we still have a weak batting line up. There is no way we can play a bowling all- rounder. because that will further reduce the Batting. Play with 4 bowlers and get what you can out of Azhar Ali or some other Part timers Bowling (YK, B Azam etc).

Shafiq had great success at the top as well, 3 fifties and a century, had one bad match. Babar should've came at 6 anyways, don't throw the new kid at 3, as well as the fact that Shafiq didn't do that poorly and deserved this series at the top of the order at least.

Batting at number 3 is not a promotion or an award for performances.

You bat at the position that best suits your strength and the team's needs.

Shafiq is much better suited at 3 and his numbers back that - let Babar play at 3 for the time being.

the pair Asad got at #3 in last test against WI really messed up the whole thing and management panic; Mickey also might be culprit of forcing the issue of Babar at #3 in all formats

I know you aren't his biggest fan but even then is just one match (no matter how bad) enough to totally change your whole plan 180 degrees?

Maybe Babar felt more comfortable at 3 than 6 because that's the only reasonable explanation

If we had Shafiq as no.3, it was stopped the wickets slow...

Arthur got it really wrong.. we had a very very good start..

Azam is a ridiculous decision honeslty, he was batting like he batted against WI lineup, with no due respect to the opposition
Who got it wrong? No surprise here. Your have zero understanding of the game.

Who got it wrong? No surprise here. Your have zero understanding of the game.

Well Babar played poorly in that innings, but I admit this is the best knock I have seen by a Pakistani batsman in testing conditions since Asad Shafiq in 2013 vs South Africa

Misbah wants asad at 3 not arthur

Not quite.

PakPassion.net : How did the idea of you batting higher up the order at The Oval come about?

Asad Shafiq : Mickey Arthur approached me and asked me if I had batted up the order at number three in the past and how I felt about it. I said to him that I had been batting higher up the order all my life and had opened or batted at number three throughout my career, for teams in Karachi and for my departmental team. He said to me that he wanted me to bat at number three and he felt that was the right position for me. I said to him that I was fine with that and happy to do that for the team and I had no fears about batting at that position. It worked well as I made a century which the team and I needed.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?250716

Back