Moeen Ali - Performance Watch

WebGuru

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Looks like an aggressive opener by nature and a handy bowler. Moeen scored 44 runs on his debut match today against West Indies and took 1 wicket.

Moeen Ali [Performance Watch]

Good debut...96 opening stand with another debutant. Great actually considering how we are :ahmed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad he overcame those debut nerves, hopefully he can perform even better in the remaining games.

Scored his maiden 50 today. It's good to see an aggressive opener in England team. He always try to score with a high SR.

Why do we need a watch thread for Moeed Ali? did he make a debut for Pakistan? This is the very reason why people accuse Pakistanis of supporting someone because of the beard! He's representing England, not Pakistan, not Muslim world but England.

yci3.png

Why do we need a watch thread for Moeed Ali? did he make a debut for Pakistan? This is the very reason why people accuse Pakistanis of supporting someone because of the beard! He's representing England, not Pakistan, not Muslim world but England.

Not supporting him due to his beard.. he been around county season for a while, has improved year on year.( Somehting a lot of our players struggle to do)

Added bowling to his batting, stylish batsmen to watch when in full swing. He himself has said that he wants to be a positive role model and good on him. Who cares if people support him because of the beard and if people dont like that SORRY but without turning this into a socio-poltical forum, religion binds together a lot of people.

But its kinda cool that a guy is balancing his faith, ethnicity (background) and calls himself British and wants to play for England and Wales. Hats off to you Moeen !

I have been watching this guy in county cricket and was interested to see him performing internationally. If i am not wrong you can find many non-pakistani players performance threads in this forum. But if you still feel its not ok you can report and ask the mods to delete this thread the purpose of creating this thread had nothing to do with his nationality/religion/beard.

Maybe because some British Pakistanis like supporting another British Pakistani who is also a good player? What is the issue?

Looks like a classy player from the little that I've seen, being of Pakistani origin means he won't struggle against spin as much as some others in that dressing room.

I have been watching this guy in county cricket and was interested to see him performing internationally. If i am not wrong you can find many non-pakistani players performance threads in this forum. But if you still feel its not ok you can report and ask the mods to delete this thread the purpose of creating this thread had nothing to do with his nationality/religion/beard.

Same here, hence why I made a thread about him a while ago and his international prospects! I didn't think he'd be in the England team before this summer!

I know this is a Pakistani cricket forum, but it's still very diverse in that we get a lot of opinions from here in the UK, Australia, NZ, SA and of course India.

The twisted mentality of the hater can be seen by fact he calls himself 'Anfield' and has picture of England football club 'Anfield' but he is from US !

Why doesn't he only post about US football on a US football forum ? Why is he here telling other people what they are allowed to think or talk about ?

The twisted mentality of the hater can be seen by fact he calls himself 'Anfield' and has picture of England football club 'Anfield' but he is from US !

Why doesn't he only post about US football on a US football forum ? Why is he here telling other people what they are allowed to think or talk about ?

you don't make any sense..

Same here, hence why I made a thread about him a while ago and his international prospects! I didn't think he'd be in the England team before this summer!

I know this is a Pakistani cricket forum, but it's still very diverse in that we get a lot of opinions from here in the UK, Australia, NZ, SA and of course India.

That is why PP is different we talk discuss and analyze different teams/players and even sometime their strategies etc and after Pakistan the most threads on this forum are related to Indians players and team and we all contribute in those threads as neutral. I dont know why a thread on Moeen performance can't exist on PP if as a neutral some people are interested to look at his performance in international cricket after following him in county cricket.

I am not saying it is necessarily cuz of the beard what I am saying it gives an impression to non-pakistanis that look a thread for non-Pakistani performance watch who has a beard. So many players make debut but we don't see performance watch thread for other players.

Oh boy he is a treat to watch, technically so sound. I hope he stays in the team and even get into test Xl. He looks like another saeed anwer in the makings.

Oh boy he is a treat to watch, technically so sound. I hope he stays in the team and even get into test Xl. He looks like another saeed anwer in the makings.

Oh please :facepalm:

I am not saying it is necessarily cuz of the beard what I am saying it gives an impression to non-pakistanis that look a thread for non-Pakistani performance watch who has a beard. So many players make debut but we don't see performance watch thread for other players.

Why do you like Suarez, so many players play football but why do you only have his avatar?

People will like who they want to. Who cares what others think?

We can have a thread on whichever player we want. I dont see the problem. And you are wrong in saying he is not representing the Muslim World. Every Muslim is a representative of Islam. For example had a Muslim player like Hashim Amla been a bad and unlikeable character, Wayne Parnell may have got a bad image of Islam and turned away from it instead of seeing the Truth. Regardless, we aregoing off topic lets stick to Moeens cricket.

A few examples:

Umesh Yadav Performance Watch (one of the biggest performance thread)
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=139941

Gambhir's County Performance watch thread
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=184517

Piyush Chawla's County Performance Watch Thread
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=185051

Muhammad Shami performance watch
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=188580

and there are many more

Why do you like Suarez, so many players play football but why do you only have his avatar?

People will like who they want to. Who cares what others think?

Irrelevant to the point I am making..

A few examples:

Umesh Yadav Performance Watch (one of the biggest performance thread)
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=139941

Gambhir's County Performance watch thread
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=184517

Piyush Chawla's County Performance Watch Thread
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=185051

Muhammad Shami performance watch
http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=188580

and there are many more

Threads created by respective country men mostly. And not so many debutant watch thread.

Threads created by respective country men mostly. And not so many debutant watch thread.

all i can say now is you can report this thread to mods and ask them to delete it.

just a troll then^

Moeen also took a wicket with his part time off spin and a catch off Broad bowling

Good all round contributor who should be given a decent run in England limited overs teams

By the way met him and others (Kabir Ali/Vikram Solanki) at local mosque charity Eid party a few years back, really nice guy

just a troll then^

Moeen also took a wicket with his part time off spin and a catch off Broad bowling

Good all round contributor who should be given a decent run in England limited overs teams

By the way met him and others (Kabir Ali/Vikram Solanki) at local mosque charity Eid party a few years back, really nice guy
he's not part time, he's a battin allrounder like :hafeez..He may actually be the best offspinner in England currently as he also knows the doosra :ajmal :saqi

he's not part time, he's a battin allrounder like :hafeez..He may actually be the best offspinner in England currently as he also knows the doosra :ajmal :saqi

That's not saying much!

But he's one of those guys who can be lethal on turning pitches. Took a 12fer against Lancashire on a bunsen last season, if not 2 seasons ago.

That's not saying much!

But he's one of those guys who can be lethal on turning pitches. Took a 12fer against Lancashire on a bunsen last season, if not 2 seasons ago.
how is that not saying much? Both are ATG ODI spinners and great Test Spinners...He is a very useful cricketer in the sense how Jacques Kallis or Shane Watson are useful

how is that not saying much? Both are ATG ODI spinners and great Test Spinners...He is a very useful cricketer in the sense how Jacques Kallis or Shane Watson are useful

Being the best offspinner in England? Who's his competition? James Tredwell.

For him to stay in the ODI team and look for inclusion in other formats, he's got to do his main job properly, so far his batting has been good. Could have been better though but considering these WI pitches are probably the worst in the world, he's laid a strong claim down.

Kallis, Watson, even Hafeez would be backed to bowl 7-10 overs in all conditions pretty much in ODIs.

England will think of him as another Hashim Amla in the making. But lets see.

Why doesn't he bowl more? Pretty decent spinner, in my opinion.

England will think of him as another Hashim Amla in the making. But lets see.

Apart from the obvious, how is Moeen anything like Amla? One's right handed, a world class player. The other isn't even playing 1st Division FC cricket.

Why doesn't he bowl more? Pretty decent spinner, in my opinion.

He's been bowling more regularly in the last 3 or so years because his county doesn't have a recognised spinner, hence his relative high amount of wickets but is averaging 40+. I'd wager his probably been averaging 30 or so in the last few seasons. Which is favourable compared to the likes of Tredwell, Kerrigan, Rashid, Borthwick maybe even Monty.

Seems some people here are a bit ignorant.

Moeen plays for same County as Saeed Ajmal and Ajmal has apparently taught him to bowl doosra.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cr...sra-to-Worcestershire-team-mate-Moen-Ali.html

Pakistan's Saeed Ajmal happy to pass on secrets of the doosra to Worcestershire team-mate Moen Ali

Saeed Ajmal, England’s chief tormentor in their recent series whitewash by Pakistan, has been teaching Worcestershire off-spinner Moeen Ali the art of bowling the doosra.

Current England record

3/41 bowling (average of 13 ; Econ 4 )
Batting average 36

for comparison
Luke Wright batting average 20
Ben Stokes batting average 15

Why does a sportsman have to have such a massive beard? It looks ridiculous.

I really don't get it.

Surely something like this would suffice and looks good too:

CarlitosWay_03_BLITZWAY_201210.jpg

lol You think he is better good for you. Define trolling as it relates to that post.

He picked up 3 wickets and averaged 36 with one fifty while also batting at a good SR, in his debut ODI series. In the T20 series, he has faced a total of 10 balls or so and hasn't had a bowl.

Looking at the above, you're either very ignorant or simply trolling.

I really don't get it.

He wants to follow the sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad (saw). And who says it doesnèt look good? I think it looks superb.

I don't get why his off-spin isn't used. The other bowlers have done well in this match but in the previous one he should have bowled seeing how they didn't have too many spinners.

I really don't get it.

He wants to follow the way of the Prophet Muhammad pbuh. What is it to you if he has one? Why do you have to judge how he looks. Why can't we stick to how he performs.

Last edited:
Destroying NZ bowlers at the moment. 28 in 13 balls

So far scoring on legside only...weak on the off? He has had a few wild slogs on the off-side with no success.

moeen bhai moeen bhai :p

mamoon if you are around this thread we would like to hear your opinion on this new bhai in your fav team?

Again...out after hitting one down leg. Legside player from what I observed today.

Classy player. Very pleasing on the eye and an excellent timer.

Favors the leg side a bit too much but still early days.

Could be England's Amla, but he's already much better in T20s.

Classy player. Very pleasing on the eye and an excellent timer.

Favors the leg side a bit too much but still early days.

Could be England's Amla, but he's already much better in T20s.

Very early to say anything but what i noticed in his last few innings and in county he has the ability to take the attack to the opposition just like KP.

His strike rate is 100+ in List A with 7 centuries which shows he is going to be an aggressive opener for England who is not going in any tuk tuk mode.

Last edited:
Yes, he isn't one geared by the looks of it. Can turn it on and play big shots.

He once smashed a 50-ball 100 I believe.

Lara and Ganguly are his favorite batsmen just mentioned it while talking to Danny.

he could become England's Amla if english give him enough chances

He won't become an English-Amla, a totally different player. I feel he should be drafted into the test side ASAP, could do some damage against India and Sri Lanka.

He also needs to be bowled more. Gave away just 7 runs in his only over while everyone else went for double figures, his bowling seems to be underrated.

Yes, he isn't one geared by the looks of it. Can turn it on and play big shots.

He hit 195* in a T20 for Attock Cricket Club. He isn't an accumulator

commentators etc saying he's too slow for t20s but he got england offf to a flier today

Moeen Ali

This is the first time i am seeing him bat, looks like a technically sound batsman, regardless of whatever happens in this tourney i hope ENG persist with him for ODI/ T20's ...

Pretty good wrists & fast feet :moyo

Moeen Ali

100% backing him but he choked today like his counterpart does :amla :ajmal

You don't rate Amla though do you ??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Of course I do. He's a top, top class batsman but I personally don't enjoy his batting and some people overrate him a bit.

I think he's another over rated player who will struggle to survive at top level.
Not convinced till he proves his metal vs the best!

failed to impress me. The only thing impressive about him is his beard!

Already a better pressure player than Amla. What an innings. :14:

That was a one-off. He's not a pressure player.

This is top class stuff by Moeen.

Failed against Australia in the decider.
he scored 196 in the 414 chase in Perth and a match winning ton in the 47 all out game. He was going through pretty bad form before the decider not like he was in top form then just flopped. in Tests Amla is a Gun player i agree in ODIS he has proved to be a bottler so far.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

He's no doubt a much better Test player but not a player you can trust in pressure situations.

Back