Mohammad Hafeez steps down as Director of cricket [Post #225]

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Mohammad Hafeez assigned as Director – Pakistan Men’s Cricket Team

Lahore, 15 November 2023:

Former Test captain Mohammad Hafeez has been given the responsibility of Director – Pakistan Men’s Cricket Team. Mohammad Hafeez has featured for Pakistan in 55 Tests, 218 ODIs and 119 T20Is and has scored 12,780 runs and has taken 253 wickets.

Hafeez was recently part of the PCB Cricket Technical Committee. The former all-rounder was part of Pakistan Men’s team which won the ICC Champions Trophy in England in 2017.

The PCB has changed the portfolio of the Pakistan coaching staff. All coaches will continue to work in National Cricket Academy while PCB will annou

Shouldn't players who played with current members of team have some cooling period before assuming any position with the board.
Wouldn't it lead to conflict of interest?

I understand Hafeez to be quite arrogant and egotistical; his appointment as Team Director doesn't seem like the best match.

Let's see what the professor can do!

Professor, that always made me laugh, professor of hanging on too long as a player would be a more adequate title

I understand Hafeez to be quite arrogant and egotistical; his appointment as Team Director doesn't seem like the best match.

Let's see what the professor can do!
I like the way he transformed himself into a bit of a hitter in the end.

If we can bring the same growth mindset to directorship then it may be a success.

I am pleased with the PCB's decision. Hafeez is a thorough professional with a good cricketing brain. I genuinely hope that under his tenure, we will see improvements.

Mohammad Hafeez as a cricketer hit rock bottom in my eyes when as captain of the Pakistan T20 team he went into a toss against MS Dhoni in a T20 World Cup (i think the one West Indies won, Gangnam style world cup ) and the pressure got to him so much that he forgot to name the changes during the toss to Rameez Raja, he was sweating and it just felt that captaincy of such a great cricketing nation had fallen on the shoulders of a coward.

From that day to today, the journey of Mohammad Hafeez as a senior cricketer has been extremely admirable.

Obviously all that is down to no magic but a very focused approach and a lot of hard work.

He became a better batsman. A better senior cricketer. A better cricket analyst and now this huge responsibility has fallen on his shoulders. It’s no coincidence but sheer hard work and dedication.

Well done Professor Hafeez.
You earned my respect after all !!

Many things went wrong for pakistan hockey, but the singular reason why it went wrong way was because ex-hocey players took it as their right to get position around the hickey team. We have entered that phase for cricket, i give pakistan cricket another 3 years before we finally settle to zimbabwe levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why people are jumping around Hafeez as player messed up Mohali, as skipper messed up 2012 WC SF ,though as a player his limitations were masked due to players around him.

Quite a pair it will be Director and Tesf captain two huge fisherman in Test cricket

Mohammad Hafeez as a cricketer hit rock bottom in my eyes when as captain of the Pakistan T20 team he went into a toss against MS Dhoni in a T20 World Cup (i think the one West Indies won, Gangnam style world cup ) and the pressure got to him so much that he forgot to name the changes during the toss to Rameez Raja, he was sweating and it just felt that captaincy of such a great cricketing nation had fallen on the shoulders of a coward.

From that day to today, the journey of Mohammad Hafeez as a senior cricketer has been extremely admirable.

Obviously all that is down to no magic but a very focused approach and a lot of hard work.

He became a better batsman. A better senior cricketer. A better cricket analyst and now this huge responsibility has fallen on his shoulders. It’s no coincidence but sheer hard work and dedication.

If prof were to read this tribute, he would be shed a tear of joy. Ijjat is the main currency of a Pakistani ex-cricketer and you have given it to him in bulk.

Not sure why people are jumping around Hafeez as player messed up Mohali, as skipper messed up 2012 WC SF ,though as a player his limitations were masked due to players around him.

Quite a pair it will be Director and Tesf captain two huge fisherman in Test cricket
How did he mess up Mohali?

Don't see this going or ending well. Hafeez is always too opinionated — not as much about the game as he is about players personally. See him as more of a divisive, biased person in-charge who will fracture this team. Hafeez is from the time when Pakistani captaincy was a game for everyone from him to Malik to Afridi - groups against groups within the team. For the first time, we had a team where that wasn't an issue. Just removing Babar from captaincy would have been enough. This Hafeez appointment is going to work out worse than Younis Khan's tenure as batting coach. And the Pakistan team will suffer.

For being director of cricket? All that hard work as a TV analyst?

Couldn’t agree more. Hafeez is a no nonsense kinda guy, the kind that can either disband this team of TikTok stars or set them right.

Just watch his dismissal
You are blaming the only guy who performed other than Wahab & Jr Akmal. His soft dismissal didn't cause the misery, it was Younus Misbah with their pathetic 1970's approach & Afridi Razzak with their amateurish dismissals that lost the match. Hafiz can be blamed for many failures(12 t20 wc semifinal as well 14 match against Caribbeans) but he can't be blamed for that miserable night.

Lot of infighting to continue, Pak athletes have a knack of talking everywhere, even in squash this Asian games when they beat India in first round they went on video streaming slamming us only to lose in the final.

Hafeez is no different, but hopefully no more Biryani stops as Hafeez was atleast fit.

Couldn’t agree more. Hafeez is a no nonsense kinda guy, the kind that can either disband this team of TikTok stars or set them right.
Just like all these "no-nonsense" type coaches and directors heading every other successful cricket and sporting boards. Not positive, diplomatic leaders who get results. Just no-nonsense leaders all around. No-nonsense Rob Key, Andrew Strauss, Rahul Dravid. Do we even hear about the no-nonsense executives of the Australian and NZ boards? We're going to operate more like the Bangladesh cricket board and their "no-nonsense" chairman and the SLC and their pack of idiots at the top. It's this mentality of harsh punishments to get people to do things is why we're still behind in so many things in today's world.

Don't think they know.

Main thing was to replace Mickey but they didn't have the heart to let Grant go so they just made Hafeez...Team Director.
What does a team director even do? Will he select the team?

I would’ve taken him as captain instead of Shan Sifarish in tests all things considered, since we are ready to appoint ppl who can’t even make the team.

There’s no honor, no code in Pakistan cricket esp in PCB.

A board of crooks who couldn’t care less about the game.

Don't think they know.

Main thing was to replace Mickey but they didn't have the heart to let Grant go so they just made Hafeez...Team Director.
It seems that we have too many of these sort of administrative positions? We should probably just copy whatever set up New Zealand or Australia have in terms of management.

We need a Director of cricket to guide and strategise our cricket. He should be responsible for appointing coaches, captains etc. He needs to plan the development of young players and look the picture as well as the pixels. Let's see what happens with what seems word salad of a job

Pak cricket’s problem is not the captain or coach, the constant chop or change won’t change things. PCB has had 3 chairmen in a span of a year. It has to get rid of political appointments.

The root problem lies at the grassroot level - the club and school cricket has collapsed. A young kid with a lot of potential is often lost in the wilderness. There’s no way or little way to polish a good talent. Let’s groom players from U-15 level about life, fame, social media, money and cricketing skills. If PCB won’t fix the basic foundation then ice at the top will keep melting. Need to get the basics right before we go after coaches or captains at national level.

He might turn out to be brilliant in this role so I don't mind giving him a chance.

But what's odd is that he walked away from a PCB role recently as a couple of months ago and they've given him another role.

He might turn out to be brilliant in this role so I don't mind giving him a chance.

But what's odd is that he walked away from a PCB role recently as a couple of months ago and they've given him another role.
He’s the professor after all. He is treating the PCB like schoolchildren.

Very good move. Hafeez is the ideal candidate to instill work ethic attitude to the set up.

Professor saab should be given a long tenure to impliment his ways .

Technically speaking, Hafeez should be the person appointing the captain, coaches, selection committee and aligning domestic cricket with the requirements of the national team.
Our guys can't handle this sort of power,or our other guys can't live with a guy with so much power because jealousy.

He was talking big on TV throughout the world cup let's see if he can select a proper team and give chances to players that deserve to be in the team and not psl 1 season wonder boys

One of the few of our ex-cricketers with half a cricketing brain. Whatever the job description is I hope he does well.

Is he going to be the headcoach as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

And he will do that again at any moment he is ignored because Hafeez is an ego maniac. It is why he never lived up to his potential as a cricketer either because he always sought to play in a top order role when he was much better suited for for a middle order role as we saw near his end.

My only hope is he can identify talented spinners and get them developed and hopefully invest in making our batsmen focus more on power hitting like he did by the end.

Just watch his dismissal
Yes he was going good , his dismissal triggered the panic mode to go into shell for Pakistan and a collapse all of sudden , just like Aameer Sohails 96 madness, but the main culprits were MisYou with all that experience failed to rotate strike and bat at atleast 70-80% SR , that depth of the batting saws so much that they could have won it easily. India was on the backfoot didn’t put enough runs for their bowling attack , Raina scored those important 30+ runs at the end.. They were under huge pressure 185-6 or something and until they were able to choke MYK and Misbah in batting because Hafeez and Kamran gave them a solid start and Asad Shafiq was also keeping up to the scoring and capitalise on the good opening stand.

He’s appearing on television as a pundit after being appointed Director of Pakistan cricket. I think he should refrain from exposing himself in the media too much now. Don’t do the mistakes Rameez bhai did.

So as per a media report, Hafeez will travel with the squad as the coach during the Australia tour wit the the entire coaching staff, including batting, bowling, and fielding coaches, to be formed in consultation with him, making him the most influential person in the setup!

Also he will not be able to participate in PSL - assuming he is still employed by the PCB by that time (who knows!)

He will not accept the role hands tied, there should be enough freedom and leverage to direct his powers I believe

Very good move in my opinion , rmb Strauss was appointed after 2015 WC debacle and that changed fortunes for England

Expectations are not that high , but certainly he can make good and right changes within his role.

So as per a media report, Hafeez will travel with the squad as the coach during the Australia tour wit the the entire coaching staff, including batting, bowling, and fielding coaches, to be formed in consultation with him, making him the most influential person in the setup!

Also he will not be able to participate in PSL - assuming he is still employed by the PCB by that time (who knows!)
What if he also corrects the technique of batsman regarding footwork and playing outside off stump :steyn

Keep appointing low cricketing IQ mental midgets and keep watching your cricket plunge to greater depths. Mohammad Hafeez , lol

This is what I used to believe in 2009.

Honestly Hafeez matured.
At the end of his international career, he became an effective and aggressive T20 batter and is now a very articulate analyst of the game.

If he is also going as a coach apart from that director role, i guess it has something to do here.
"Hafeez will travel with the squad as the coach during the Australia tour with the the entire coaching staff, including batting, bowling, and fielding coaches"

"Hafeez will travel with the squad as the coach during the Australia tour with the the entire coaching staff, including batting, bowling, and fielding coaches"
We have a coaching staff under which the team was man-handled by the likes of Afghanistan. I doubt that it will help.

Interesting move. Wonder what fate has in store for Mickey Arthur now...

Mohammad Hafeez looks ahead to Team Director role

Former Test captain Mohammad Hafeez has thanked Chairman PCB Management Committee Mr Zaka Ashraf for appointing him as Team Director Pakistan Men’s Team on Wednesday evening.

Hafeez, who has also served as member of the Cricket Technical Committee in Zaka Ashraf’s management committee, said, “I am honoured and excited to take on the role of Team Director for the Pakistan Men's Cricket Team. I would like to thank PCB for trusting my abilities and giving me this challenging responsibility, but I am committed to work collaboratively with the coaching staff and players to contribute in team’s success. Together we will strive for excellence and bring happiness for our passionate fans.”

PCB​

Mohammad Hafeez looks ahead to Team Director role

Former Test captain Mohammad Hafeez has thanked Chairman PCB Management Committee Mr Zaka Ashraf for appointing him as Team Director Pakistan Men’s Team on Wednesday evening.

Hafeez, who has also served as member of the Cricket Technical Committee in Zaka Ashraf’s management committee, said, “I am honoured and excited to take on the role of Team Director for the Pakistan Men's Cricket Team. I would like to thank PCB for trusting my abilities and giving me this challenging responsibility, but I am committed to work collaboratively with the coaching staff and players to contribute in team’s success. Together we will strive for excellence and bring happiness for our passionate fans.”

PCB​
He should have added, i have no idea what the role involves and Zaka knows even less than me. But it sounds very good and that alone tempted me to do it. When i resign it will because i didnt get the support.

Zaka Ashraf only got a short term extension but he's making long term decisions. Wasnt this against the terms of extension. He's so far changed the captain, tried to force the coaches to resign and then appointed a new Director of Cricket

The thing that's most odd for these appointments is that there is no accountability when they leave or are sacked. They still get the paycheck, and off they go to sit on TV for next 2-6 months and criticse everything. Then come back after 6 months in a different role. Then repeat.

Misbah, Waqar are currently in the phase of making money through TV. They know in a year or so it's their turn again to join the PCB in a role.

Zaka Ashraf only got a short term extension but he's making long term decisions. Wasnt this against the terms of extension. He's so far changed the captain, tried to force the coaches to resign and then appointed a new Director of Cricket
The funny thing is,

ZA hasn’t put a foot wrong, Babar stepped down. It’s clear that whatever him and the PCB management are doing is according to the books and his mandate

Not happy with this appointment. Hafeez in the past has made factually incorrect comments regarding players like Amir and Sharjeel who are 10 times the player he will ever be.

If he wants to be successful as team director than he must put his ego aside and make the right decisions for Pakistan, not form himself

The funny thing is,

ZA hasn’t put a foot wrong, Babar stepped down. It’s clear that whatever him and the PCB management are doing is according to the books and his mandate

But Hafeez's appointment is a long term decision.

Not happy with this appointment. Hafeez in the past has made factually incorrect comments regarding players like Amir and Sharjeel who are 10 times the player he will ever be.

If he wants to be successful as team director than he must put his ego aside and make the right decisions for Pakistan, not form himself
You mean he doesnt like Match fixers and so he shouldnt comment on match fixers. It shows the moral bankruptcy of PK that we have criminals running the country, we have criminals running the board and we have criminal players but some dont like basic facts pointed out.

Very good appointment to be honest , He is no nonsense guy and pretty smart and tactical when it comes to the knowledge of the game.

Would like him to do a press conference or interview explaining his vision for Pakistan Cricket

No don't need a PhD thesis - need results
What our brother Savak is trying to say is that Hafeez should outline his vision and objectives at the start of his tenure… and then we can see if those targets outlined by him are achieved as he progresses

How will a guy who resigned a few weeks ago because 2 selections he recommended as head of technical committee to the selection team were ignored...

His ego is very fragile, and he is going to be director of cricket for a country like Pakistan...

Back