Muslim Footballers

returnee

Debutant
Runs
Hey guys, I was arguing with a sikh freind about this
Are there any elite level muslim footballers.
I mean I know of Zidane, but besides him?

Loads. E.g:

Mohammed Sissoko (Liverpool)
Toure/Lauren (One of them - Arsenal)
Elkalkouri (Charlton)

El haji douf, chippo, mustapha hadji, hakan sas, zlatan ibramavich is half muslim, zeshan rehman, doup. eboue, toure, emre, mohammed kallon, dai, diawara, Nicholas anelka, trus thers bare just cant think of them on the top of my head.

half muslim :20::20:

Didier Domi is a muslim! Rami Shaban the ex-arsenal keeper is a muslim

Ibrahim Bakayako the ex-everton striker is a muslim!

nouruddin naybet and theres alot of turkish, moroccon and saudi elite footballers. Samir nasri is a gr8 young talent too

A couple of years ago nearly all the french U-21 team that featured anelka converted to islam.

Kolo Toure,Nicholas Anelka his real name i think is Bilal
Rami Shaban are the names that come to my mind

Master-P said:
El haji douf, chippo, mustapha hadji, hakan sas, zlatan ibramavich is half muslim, zeshan rehman, doup. eboue, toure, emre, mohammed kallon, dai, diawara, Nicholas anelka, trus thers bare just cant think of them on the top of my head.

hadji is christian -

youssef safri - norwich.

I think there are a number of good North African footballers
Are there any decent Pakistani ones?

returnee said:
I think there are a number of good North African footballers
Are there any decent Pakistani ones?

Zeshan Rehman who plays for Fulham.

umerz said:
Kolo Toure,Nicholas Anelka his real name i think is Bilal
Rami Shaban are the names that come to my mind

Yeah I KNOW, I met him about a year ago in a mosque in Batley West Yorkshire, him and Didier Domi

toonboy_awaisyboy™ said:
el haj diuf a muslim ?- banned for drink driving today.

Just becuase he drinks don't mean he aint muslim e.g shoaib akhter.

I know it has nothing to do with this thread but some one told me that SL cricketer Dilshan was a muslim but has converted to another religion.It hurt me so much as it was first I heard that some one left Islam.

saeed-sohail said:
I know it has nothing to do with this thread but some one told me that SL cricketer Dilshan was a muslim but has converted to another religion.It hurt me so much as it was first I heard that some one left Islam.

his loss :D

saeed-sohail said:

Yep he was known as Tuwan Mohammad Dilshan and converted to Buddhism and now known as Tillakaratne Dilshan

Raz said:
Yep he was known as Tuwan Mohammad Dilshan and converted to Buddhism and now known as Tillakaratne Dilshan

it depends on his upbringing and how it was practiced around him.

toonboy_awaisyboy™ said:

Im not in a position to make on comments really. Obviously im disappointed, being a muslim to lose someone from my faith but at the end of the day it was his decision.

toonboy_awaisyboy™ said:
Salaam bruv are same awais who use to come on TMS board on bbc and has a brother called saim.

Master-P said:

Anelka is not a Muslim,its a false rumour though i believe ex-Liverpool midfielder Salif Diao is.

Last edited:
Anelka is a muslim - KK mentioned it last year when they accused him of not taking part in team bonding sessions

Also that guy who didnt take a drugs test - Negouie (sp*) is aswell

Anelka is a Muslim ! Fredric Kanoute mentioned it at a talk at UCL in 2002. He also mentioned Domi is a muslim and the both of them are mates.

An unknown muslim Footballer is the Arsenal defender Pascal Cygan, very random indeed.

Also there was a rumour that Van Persey became a muslim a few months ago. But nothing was confirmed. However I think his wife is Arab.

I always knew that Dilshan was an ex-Muslim but Wesley Snipes the movie star is another one mentioned on the list.
Many people leave Islam finding it oppressive and overly dogmatic so we should be honest enough to admit it.

Lassana Diara is muslim..Karim Benzema, Ali Muntari, Hossien Kaebi.. Adel Tarabat from Spurs n so on..

Kolo Toure is muslim? Wow, a suprise there, Muslims footballers seem to be extremely talented. Benzema to United please!

Tell your Sikh friend at least we have Muslim footballers!!!.How many Sikhs are involved in the game????.No wonder they're acting like kids over Monty Panesar being the first Sikh cricketer to play for England!
Your Sikh pal is just plain jealous of Muslim footballers like Zidane and Anelka etc.

Nakhuda said:
Tell your Sikh friend at least we have Muslim footballers!!!.How many Sikhs are involved in the game????.No wonder they're acting like kids over Monty Panesar being the first Sikh cricketer to play for England!
Your Sikh pal is just plain jealous of Muslim footballers like Zidane and Anelka etc.
Harpal Singh is one Sikh footballer that I know of. I know he was at Leeds but he struggled to get into the first team there and I think he was playing in League 2 last I heard.

Saj said:
Harpal Singh is one Sikh footballer that I know of. I know he was at Leeds but he struggled to get into the first team there and I think he was playing in League 2 last I heard.

last i read he was playing in Ireland

shahzadddd said:
Anelka is a Muslim ! Fredric Kanoute mentioned it at a talk at UCL in 2002. He also mentioned Domi is a muslim and the both of them are mates.

An unknown muslim Footballer is the Arsenal defender Pascal Cygan, very random indeed.

Also there was a rumour that Van Persey became a muslim a few months ago. But nothing was confirmed. However I think his wife is Arab.
the wife of van persie is arab as u mentioned and the name of their child is shaqeel (muslim name)

HuZi said:
the wife of van persie is arab as u mentioned and the name of their child is shaqeel (muslim name)

Van Persie is not a muslim - someone posted a link to an interview where he confirms this

Oh noes, he is such good form and was in my Muslim XI. Geordie, another crack at it?

4-2-3-1, front 4 should be:

Al Habsi?
RB? - Kolo - ?? - Abidal
Toure-Diarra
Nasri, Anelka, Ribery
Benzema (or Kanoute?)

Geordie Ahmed said:
Van Persie is not a muslim - someone posted a link to an interview where he confirms this

You are right Van Persie's wife, Bushra is a Muslim and so is his kids. My counsin is a stewart at Diamond Club, Emirates Stadium, so he gets to chat to players etc

Here is an article form a dutch paper about Van Persie. It is translated through google translate:

http://translate.google.com/transla...Van_Persie_soms_nog_te_emotioneel&sl=nl&tl=en

His wife is Muslim. Op sommige internetsites staat dat Van Persie zich heeft bekeerd tot de islam. Some Internet sites state that Van Persie has converted to Islam. Hoe zit dat? What about that? 'Het is niet zo. "It is not. Ik ben geen moslim, geen christen en geen jood. I am not Muslim, not Christian and not a jew. Ik ben vrij opgevoed. I'm quite educated. Als je moslim wilt worden, moet dat uit je hart komen. If you want to be Muslim, that should come from your heart. Ik zou dat niet voor mijn vrouw doen. Het moet uit míjn hart komen. I would not do for my wife. It is from my heart. Geloven is voor mij de zoektocht naar een goed mens zijn.' Faith is my quest for a good man. "

Here's a list from wikipedia , not sure how accurate this is though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_footballers#List_of_Players

* Sulley Muntari – Ghanaian footballer currently playing for Internazionale in Italy.

* Kamel Fathi Ghilas – Algerian footballer currently playing for Hull City in England.

* Yaya Touré – Ivorian footballer currently playing for Barcelona in Spain.

* Moustapha Bangura – Sierra Leonean International footballer.

* Miralem Pjanić – Bosnian footballer currently playing for Lyon in France.

* Mohamed Aboutrika – Egyptian footballer currently playing for Al-Ahly in Egypt.

* Frédéric Kanouté[1] – Malian footballer who currently plays for Sevilla in Spain.

* Kolo Touré[2] – Ivorian footballer currently playing for Manchester City in England.

* Hasan Salihamidžić – Bosnian footballer currently playing for Juventus in Italy.

* Mahamadou Diarra – Malian footballer currently playing for Real Madrid in Spain.

* Lorik Cana – Albanian footballer currently playing for Sunderland in England.

* Mohammed Abdellaoue – Norwegian footballer currently playing for Vålerenga in Norway.

* Rashid Yussuff – English footballer currently playing for Gillingham in England.

* Nicolas Anelka[2][3] – French footballer currently playing Chelsea in England.

* Arouna Koné – Ivorian footballer currently playing for Sevilla in Spain.

* Mehdi Mahdavikia – Iranian footballer currently playing for Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany.

* Ibrahim Touré – Ivorian footballer currently playing for Al-Ittihad in Syria.

* El Hadji Diouf[4] – Senegalese footballer currently playing for Blackburn Rovers in England.

* Yakubu Aiyegbeni – Nigerian footballer currently playing for Everton in England.

* Mamady Sidibe – Malian footballer currently playing for Stoke City in England.

* Joseph-Désiré Job[1] – Cameroonian footballer currently playing for Diyarbakırspor in Turkey.

* Ali Daei – Former Iranian footballer and coach.

* Taye Taiwo – Nigerian footballer currently playing for Marselle in France.

* Darijo Srna – Croatian footballer currently playing for Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine.

* Philippe Troussier – Former French footballer and current manager.

* Zlatan Ibrahimović[5][6] – Swedish footballer currently playing for Barcelona in Spain.

* Franck Ribéry[7][8] – French footballer currently playing for Bayern Munich in Germany.

* Samir Nasri – French footballer currently playing for Arsenal in England.

* Khalid Boulahrouz – Dutch footballer currently playing for Stuttgart in Germany.

* Hatem Ben Arfa – French footballer currently playing for Marseille in France.

* Éric Abidal – French footballer currently playing for Barcelona in Spain.

* Ibrahim Afellay[9] – Dutch footballer currently playing for PSV in the Netherlands.

* Hamit Altıntop[10] – Turkish footballer currently playing for Bayern Munich in Germany.

* Tuncay Şanlı – Turkish footballer currently playing for Middlesbrough in England.

* Nihat Kahveci – Turkish footballer currently playing for Beşiktaş in Turkey.

* Halil Altıntop – Turkish footballer currently playing for Schalke 04 in Germany.

* Serdar Tasci – German footballer currently playing for Stuttgart in Germany.

* Mesut Özil – German footballer, of Turkish heritage, who plays for Werder Bremen in Germany.

* Sami Khedira – German footballer currently playing for Stuttgart in Germany.

* Mido – Egyptian footballer currently playing for El Zamalek in Egypt, on loan from Middlesbrough.

* Mohamed Shawky – Egyptian footballer currently playing for Middlesbrough in England.

* Mohamed Zidan[11] – Egyptian footballer currently playing for Borussia Dortmund in Germany.

* Amr Zaki[12] – Egyptian footballer currently playing for El Zamalek in Egypt.

* Zinedine Zidane[13] – Former French footballer.

* Mohamed Sissoko[14] – Malian footballer currently playing for Juventus in Italy.

* Abdulkader EL Meer – Libyan footballer currently playing for Liverpool F.C. Reserves in England.

* Hakan Yakin – Swiss footballer currently playing for Lucerne in Switzerland.

* Abou Diaby – French footballer currently playing for Arsenal in England.

* Abdoulaye Diagne-Faye – Senegalese footballer currently playing for Stoke City in England.

* Nacer Barazite – Dutch footballer currently playing for Arsenal in England.

* Abdoulaye Méïté – Ivorian footballer currently playing for West Bromwich Albion in England.

* Leon Osman[2] – English footballer currently playing for Everton in England.

* Marouane Fellaini[2] – Belgian footballer currently playing for Everton in England.

* Nabil El Zhar – Moroccan footballer currently playing for Liverpool in England.

* Bara Ayadi - Tunisian footballer currently playing for Manchester United F.C. Reserves in England.

* Marouane Chamakh – Moroccan footballer currently playing for Bordeaux in France.

* Zesh Rehman – Pakistani footballer currently playing for Bradford City in England.

* Bouna Coundoul[15] – Senegalese footballer currently playing for the New York Red Bulls in the United States.

* Armand Traoré – French footballer currently playing for Arsenal in England.

* Karim Benzema - French footballer currently playing for Real Madrid F.C.

^ Its the only list Zesh Rehman is going to get into that includes some great players!

Zlatan is half Bosian half Croat. I would guess that he is muslim, considering his father is.

El Hadji Diouf is Muslim.....my friend who is an avid Bolton fan asked him.

United have signed a muslim player, Adem Ljajic, who is coming over in Jan. Also have Eztaz Hussain coming through in our under 18s.

Nabil El Zhar of Liverpool is Muslim...probably.

Zahid87 said:
Zlatan is half Bosian half Croat. I would guess that he is muslim, considering his father is.

El Hadji Diouf is Muslim.....my friend who is an avid Bolton fan asked him.

United have signed a muslim player, Adem Ljajic, who is coming over in Jan. Also have Eztaz Hussain coming through in our under 18s.
Nabil El Zhar of Liverpool is Muslim...probably.
Do you mean man utd

shahzadddd said:
Diouf is muslim for sure. I know some people who have spoken to him about it

Im sure i have seen him do that cross thing on the pitch and also i think he has worn the cross on many times - or maybe im confusing him with someone else :13: :13:

Llajic is Muslim?!?!? Zahid you sure?

Zahid87 said:
Course I mean Man United!

There is only one United! ;-)

Another member on this board will disagree with you...but his opinion doesn't count for much considering his team got relegated to the championship :p

Amir said:
Another member on this board will disagree with you...but his opinion doesn't count for much considering his team got relegated to the championship :p

It counts for more actually - 44,000 at the last match. I would love to see what Man-U would get if they get relegated (Inshallah when they get relegated :D )

and a little fact for you, we have been called Newcastle UNITED longer than you lot so there :) :)

Last edited:
The Adnan Ahmed Story: The power of prayer in football
Adapting Asian culture for a career at the highest level...
1 Dec 2009 09:00:00

Photo GalleryZoomAdnan Ahmed, Ferencvaros (PFF)- 4
Related Links
Teams
Ferencvaros
Pakistan
Former Manchester United, Huddersfield Town, Tranmere and current Ferencvaros midfielder Adnan Ahmed has his own weekly column on the trials and tribulations of being an English-born footballer who represents Pakistan at international level whilst plying his trade in yet another foreign country – exclusive to Goal.com UK.

By Adnan Ahmed

As Goal.com UK readers check out my latest column, I’ll be on the plane to Bangladesh along with the rest of the Pakistan squad to take part in the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Championship.

We have been training and taking on local sides in Qatar for a while. Everyone seems focused and the atmosphere in the camp is very good. We have had time to acclimatise for the hot conditions in Bangladesh and we’ve enjoyed it here. The weather is perfect - it’s warm but not scorching hot. I love playing in hot conditions; I find it easier on the body.

The manager has done a good job along with the people who arrange the facilities. I’ve been blown away with the facilities. The state of the art Aspire Academy is really something else. If you search the internet for Aspire Academy in Qatar, you’ll see what I’m talking about. Now I know why Qatar want to host a World Cup; this country is just something else.

I hope Goal.com UK users who celebrate the festival of Eid Ul Adha enjoyed themselves. Those who do not celebrate Eid, hope you had a good day.

I spent the festival of Eid Ul Adha here with the team. It's hard to be away from your family, but players back home in England don’t complain when they get scant time off at Christmas, so why should we?

I enjoy being part of the squad because we all pray together and ask Allah to guide us before and after training, just like the Pakistani cricket squad. It's a great feeling, doesn’t matter what profession you are in, how much money you are worth, one day you are going to have to meet your creator, so we all believe that as footballers, we must stay grounded because we are fortunate to be playing the most popular game on the planet and getting paid for it, so for that, I am very grateful.

Together | The Pakistan squad join in prayer

For the first time in a while, I'm not the only British-born player in the squad. There are four other lads, including Atif Bashir, that play non-league football back at home who have been called up. They seem like good players and have really knuckled down, so we could do well in the tournament.

The entire debate about Asian footballers is an intricate subject and I have been talking about it with the other UK-based lads.

One of the questions I get asked time and time again is: Do Asians struggle physically?

Links | Adnan, manager George Kottan and Atif Bashir

Well, the way the game has changed over the last ten years, is it is vital that players spend as much time as possible to keep their body in great shape. I remember when I was at Manchester United, a lot of the time was spent on technique. However, now they also focus a great deal on the physical aspect, even at youth level.

When you think about it Asian diets are very high in fats (curries and sweet dishes), and one of biggest turning points for me was when I came across was meeting a guy called Adrian Burton, a fitness instructor. Over the years I’ve learned a great deal and cut out the niggling injuries, as opposed to my time at Huddersfield.

I’ve learnt a lot about diet and mental preparation. I do at least one or two structured sessions a week that are specifically designed by Adrian.

I tend to eat dry food - plenty of grilled stuff, especially chicken, and vegetables. It’s very important to keep my diet as fat-free as possible. If I am on an overnight trip, the club will arrange some sort of halal food, like fish. I also have supplements like fish oils and protein shakes.

Asians need to eat the right food, and partake in as much physical exercise as possible. I see so many Asian sportsmen not paying enough attention to this issue. It's not all ball-oriented or technique - your body is vital in today’s game.

The football authorities in the UK also need to stop saying that Asians will make the grade eventually.

Eventually is not good enough. Why not create a diet, be it halal, or whatever and show that if you eat the right food, and train hard, you can pursue a career in football. We all know Asians have great technique, so why don’t the authorities address this issue? Why don’t they teach this at seminars and at schools?

Hopefully the knowledge I have picked up over the years can be of use to up-and-coming kids.

I also have ice baths, the likes of veterans Graham Alexander and Ryan Giggs also use this method and it’s good to see them still going strong by looking after their bodies.

I do a lot of stretching; this I feel is also neglected. In order to use all of your muscle power, your muscles can’t be clenched, so to speak; otherwise, you will end up using something like 60 per cent of your strength.

We have our first game of the championships on Friday, and I'll let you know how it goes - time for another training session.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2560...n-ahmed-story-the-power-of-prayer-in-football

Something Zesh Rehman can read and learn from I guess. Adnan has his weekly column and will be keeping it updated from Bangladesh where they start SAFF Cup tomorrow.

Heres a high profile Jewish one...

David Beckham's Jewish grandfather dies

http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/24461/david-beckhams-jewish-grandfather-dies

In his first autobiography My World, Beckham talked about how his grandfather’s Judaism had influenced him, saying: "I've probably had more contact with Judaism than with any other religion."

"I used to wear the traditional Jewish skullcaps when I was younger, and I also went along to some Jewish weddings with my grandfather."

Beckhams ‘to send son to LA Jewish nursery'

http://www.thejc.com/news/world-news/beckhams-send-son-la-jewish-nursery

With regards to Beckham's kids going to a jewish nursery, I thought that you have to have a jewish mum to be jewish.

Back