Muslims mourn burning of historic library at madressah in India’s Bihar

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Muslims are mourning the burning of a 113-year-old madressah library in India that once housed more than 4,500 books, including ancient manuscripts and sacred Islamic texts written in beautiful calligraphy.

The library was part of the Madressah Azizia — a well-known religious school in Bihar Sharif town in the eastern state of Bihar — and was burnt down by a large mob on March 31.

According to the BBC, the incident took place during the Hindu festival of Ram Navami. The rioters were armed with sticks, stones and petrol bombs and allegedly shouted provocative slogans near the madressah before attacking it.

The incident was one among many that took place in the town that day — several people were injured and some vehicles and shops were attacked. Police have arrested several people in connection with the communal violence, and the investigation is ongoing.

Witnesses said that a mob of hundreds broke the locks and front door of the madressah and then vandalised it. Some hurled petrol bombs inside the classrooms and library, setting them on fire.

“Suddenly I could smell smoke,” said Abdul Gaffar, a cook at the madressah. “When I opened the door, I saw there was a lot of chaos near the office. They (the mob) had moved towards the hostel as well. I got scared and hid under the bed.”

The fire gutted the library and all that was inside, including 250 handwritten books, historical documents and antique furniture.

The library was mostly used by the students of the madressah. Around 500 students study here, with 100 staying in the hostel. But they were not in the building as classes had been halted due to Ramazan.

“The damage caused to the building and furniture can be fixed. But the loss of knowledge and cultural heritage is permanent,” says Syed Saifuddin Firdausi, an Islamic scholar who is president of the Soghara Trust which manages the madressah.

He says the building was targeted earlier as well, in 2017, prompting police to give it protection for a year.

The madressah was built by a woman named Bibi Soghara in memory of her late husband, Abdul Aziz. It was initially built in Patna city in 1896 and later shifted to Bihar Sharif.

Bibi Soghara also donated her property — including 14,000 acres of land — to charity. She set up a trust to make sure the income was used to provide education and other help to poor people.

The trust used the money to build schools and colleges as well as hospitals and hostels, which are still operational today across Bihar.

Mr Firdausi describes Bibi Soghara as an “enlightened, socially conscious, and wise woman” who chose to donate her property in the service of the community and the country instead of giving it to her relatives.

Published in Dawn, April 25th, 2023

Under BJP things are only going to get worse for muslims and sikhs. Lately I have noticed jaahil andhbhakhts have also started to target Sikhs and for them they are all Khalistanis. Contrary to muslims, sikhs are not going to take this lightly and can very easily stand for themselves. :inti

The madressah was built by a woman named Bibi Soghara in memory of her late husband, Abdul Aziz. It was initially built in Patna city in 1896 and later shifted to Bihar Sharif.

Bibi Soghara also donated her property — including 14,000 acres of land — to charity. She set up a trust to make sure the income was used to provide education and other help to poor people.

That is really tragic that a structure was built with such good intentions has been attacked in such a callous manner.

Although I fully expect news to be released in the coming days from the RSS acolytes that this madrassah was actually a breeding ground for terror plots. This is how things work in India.

This is so sad, all those old historic and antique texts , scripts destroyed.

All due to extreme hate.

Muslims in India should consider placing such rare scrips in a vault or or somewhere safe, if there is a place as such for them in BJP India.

Its a cycle.

Muslims destroyed many Hindu temples as well in the past.

Dont think we need to get overemotional here. Its good to accept when the opponent is more powerful than you. It helps with the peace process.

Its a cycle.

Dont think we need to get overemotional here. Its good to accept when the opponent is more powerful than you. It helps with the peace process.

Please cite 3 .

Thanks

Please cite 3 .

Thanks

Nalanda (Nālandā, pronounced [naːlən̪d̪aː]) was a renowned mahavihara (Buddhist monastic university) in ancient Magadha (modern-day Bihar), India. Considered by historians to be the world's first residential university and among the greatest centers of learning in the ancient world, it was located near the city of Rajagriha (now Rajgir) and about 90 kilometres (56 mi) southeast of Pataliputra (now Patna). Operating from 427 until 1197 CE, Nalanda played a vital role in promoting the patronage of arts and academics during the 5th and 6th century CE, a period that has since been described as the "Golden Age of India" by scholars. Before it was destroyed and burned much of its facilities at the beginning of the twelfth century by the Islamic invader Bakhtiyar Khilj, Nalanda held over 9 million texts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalanda_mahavihara

Vikramashila was one of the three most important Buddhist monasteries in India during the Pala Empire, along with Nalanda and Odantapuri. Its location is now the site of Antichak village, Bhagalpur district in Bihar.

Vikramashila was established by the Pala emperor Dharmapala (783 to 820 AD) in response to a supposed decline in the quality of scholarship at Nalanda. Atiśa, the renowned pandita and philosopher, is listed as a notable abbot. It was destroyed by the forces of Muhammad bin Bakhtiyar Khalji around 1193.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikramashila

Odantapuri (also called Odantapura or Uddandapura) was a prominent Buddhist Mahavihara in what is now Bihar Sharif in Bihar, India. It is believed to have been established by the Pala ruler Gopala I in the 8th century. It is considered the second oldest of India's Mahaviharas after Nalanda and was situated in Magadha. Inscriptional evidence also indicates that the Mahavihara was supported by local Buddhist kings like the Pithipatis of Bodh Gaya.

The vihara perished at the hands of Muhammad bin Bakhtiyar Khalji, a Turko-Muslim invader in the late 1100s, when he launched multiple raids on Bihar and adjoining territories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odantapuri

P.S. The thread is about a library being burnt down, it has nothing to do with temples. So I have listed 3 universities, not just libraries, being destroyed by muslim invaders.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, I completely condemn what happened here. This is shameful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalanda_mahavihara

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikramashila

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odantapuri

P.S. The thread is about a library being burnt down, it has nothing to do with temples. So I have listed 3 universities, not just libraries, being destroyed by muslim invaders.

Many moons ago, I’d expect heathen behaviour to be limited in the modern era and not justified based on past actions, it seems that part of the world is stuck in time

I'm still waiting for your reply.

So what your saying is a turko musalman burnt some libraries a thousand years ago therefore we should not comment on a Hindu so called modern progressive govt with delusions of granduer burning a masjid library because well that's what happens? It was wrong then and it's wrong now..

So what your saying is a turko musalman burnt some libraries a thousand years ago therefore we should not comment on a Hindu so called modern progressive govt with delusions of granduer burning a masjid library because well that's what happens? It was wrong then and it's wrong now..

Read post #9. I have already condemned it. What happened is shameful for us.

I'm still waiting for your reply.

:)))

Hindu extremists are burning , destroying, raping and murdering Muslims in 2023 and all you can find is incident hundreds , thousand years old to justify the extremism ?

None of what you have listed can be verified.

Give me 2 examples of Muslims burning down Hindu libraries in the last year or two?

How much Indians go out of their way to justify extremist terrorism of Hindus is beyond civil.

Its a cycle.

Are you aiming to be the next Tarek Fateh?

:)))

Hindu extremists are burning , destroying, raping and murdering Muslims in 2023 and all you can find is incident hundreds , thousand years old to justify the extremism ?

None of what you have listed can be verified.

Give me 2 examples of Muslims burning down Hindu libraries in the last year or two?

How much Indians go out of their way to justify extremist terrorism of Hindus is beyond civil.

The best thing about Pakistan is they can chose they history they want or prefer.

Back