[VIDEOS] Bangladesh army chief confirms PM Hasina’s resignation [Update at Post#189]

Yunus lands in Bangladesh to lead caretaker government

The Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus has landed in Bangladesh ahead of being sworn in as the country's interim leader.

The 84-year-old arrives just days after Sheikh Hasina - the woman who ruled Bangladesh with an iron fist for 15 years - fled across the border to India.

She resigned after weeks of student-led protests - which left hundreds dead - escalated and culminated in calls for her to stand down.

It was one of the students' demands that Prof Yunus lead the interim government, hoping the so-called banker for the poor will bring democracy back to Bangladesh after years of autocratic rule.

The decision to name Prof Yunus as chief adviser of the interim government followed a meeting between President Mohammed Shahabuddin, military leaders and student leaders.

BBC

Save the country from violence, chaos: Yunus​

"If you have faith in me and trust me, then ensure that there will be no attack anywhere in the country. This is our first responsibility," he said a crowded press briefing at the VIP lounge of Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport upon his arrival this afternoon.

"What I would like to stress first is to save the country from chaos. Save the country from violence so that we can move forward on the path that the students have shown us.

"Bangladesh could be a beautiful country. It has tremendous potential, which has been destroyed. Now we will have to prepare the seedbed, and we have to rise again. You, the youth, will prepare the seedbed. We will look up to them and move forward as per their direction," Prof Yunus said.

Yunus commended the youth for their campaign and expressed his gratitude for what he said was Bangladesh's second "Victory Day".

Set to be the head of the interim government, the Nobel laureate spoke soon after landing in Dhaka talked to the student leaders of the anti-quota campaign and members of the civil society that included some of the people who may form the interim government.

Yunus said, "The benefits of this freedom, however, must reach every home of Bangladesh."

Without that, achieving this a second time would be meaningless.

Yunus paid tribute to Abu Sayed, the student who was among the first killed in police firing during the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement.

"I am remembering Abu Sayed," said Yunus, pausing to hold back tears. "His image is etched in every heart. The courage he showed in standing, arms outstretched in front of police firing ... no one was afraid after that."

Yunus is set to take charge of the interim government tonight, three days after former prime minister Sheikh Hasina's ouster.

Yunus lands in Bangladesh to lead caretaker government

The Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus has landed in Bangladesh ahead of being sworn in as the country's interim leader.

The 84-year-old arrives just days after Sheikh Hasina - the woman who ruled Bangladesh with an iron fist for 15 years - fled across the border to India.

She resigned after weeks of student-led protests - which left hundreds dead - escalated and culminated in calls for her to stand down.

It was one of the students' demands that Prof Yunus lead the interim government, hoping the so-called banker for the poor will bring democracy back to Bangladesh after years of autocratic rule.

The decision to name Prof Yunus as chief adviser of the interim government followed a meeting between President Mohammed Shahabuddin, military leaders and student leaders.

BBC

Interim government is in power now. Alhamdulillah.

Lots of work to do.

'Responsibility Of Every Govt': India Hopes For Early Restoration Of Law, Order In Bangladesh​

India on Thursday expressed hope for the swift restoration of law and order in Bangladesh amid the ongoing crisis, emphasizing the importance of stability for both the country and the broader region.

In a press conference, Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal emphasised that it is the duty of every government to safeguard its citizens’ well-being.

“It is the responsibility of every government to ensure the well-being of all its citizens. We hope for the early restoration of law and order in Bangladesh. This is in the interest of both the country itself and the region as a whole,” Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said during a press conference.

Hasinas son Joy comments on Haspinas return and the coup ::

Sheikh Hasina, who quit as prime minister and fled Bangladesh, will be back in the country as soon as democracy is restored, his son Sajeeb Wazed Joy said on Thursday and blamed Pakistan's intelligence agency, ISI, for fuelling the ongoing unrest in the country.

In an exclusive interview with PTI, Joy said although 76-year-old Hasina would definitely return to Bangladesh, it is not yet decided whether she will be back as a 'retired or active' politician.

He also asserted that the members of the Sheikh Mujib (Sheikh Mujibur Rahman) family will neither abandon its people nor leave the beleaguered Awami League in the lurch.

https://www.rediff.com/news/report/...-for-the-2nd-time-muhammad-yunus/20240808.htm

He expressed gratitude to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his government for protecting his mother and appealed to India to help build international opinion and exert pressure for the restoration of democracy in Bangladesh.

"Yes, it is true that I had said she wouldn't return to Bangladesh. But a lot has changed in the last two days following continuous attacks on our leaders and party workers across the country. Now we are going to do whatever it takes to keep our people safe; we are not going to leave them alone."

"Awami League is the largest and oldest political party in Bangladesh, so we cannot just walk away from our people. She will definitely return to Bangladesh once democracy is restored," he told PTI over the phone.

Terming Awami League as an 'all-weather ally of India', he said India must ensure the security of Awami League leaders in Bangladesh by building international pressure.

With Bangladesh set to get an interim government, Joy also urged it to restore law and order, noting that 'the country is turning into a state of anarchy and becoming a second Afghanistan in the region'.

He said he also expects the interim government to create a level playing field whenever democracy is restored and fresh elections are held. "You cannot exclude the Awami League and have a representative democracy in Bangladesh ever.

Whatever his (Mohammed Yunus) personal views are, he has said that he wants a government of unity and wants to move forward and not let the mistakes of the past cloud over the future. I hope he stays true to his word," he asserted.

Nobel laureate Mohammad Yunus is set to take oath as the head of Bangladesh's interim government on Thursday.

Sheikh Hasina resigned and fled the country following violent protests against her government over a controversial quota system in jobs. She flew to the Hindon air base, near Delhi, in a Bangladesh military aircraft on Monday.

Joy mentioned that once democracy is restored, either the Awami League or BNP will come to power, and the 'Mujib family and Sheikh Hasina will be around'. "She has been in touch with all our party leaders for the last two days. My mother was going to retire anytime soon, so we thought now that she is gone, they (rioters) would leave our party people alone, but that did not happen. Instead, they started attacking," he said.

Declining to comment directly on whether he and his sister Saima Wazed, who is currently the South East Asian regional director for the World Health Organization, would enter politics, Joy said he would do whatever it takes to protect Bangladesh from total anarchy.

"I can't give a definite reply to this question. But I will do whatever it takes to save Bangladesh and protect the Awami League. The Mujib family would not leave them in a lurch," said Joy, the former Information and Communication Technology Advisor to Hasina.

Blaming Pakistan for fueling the unrest in Bangladesh, Joy said there is circumstantial evidence suggesting foreign interference and alleged involvement of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence agency.

"I am quite certain given the circumstantial evidence; I suspect Pakistan ISI's involvement. The attacks and protests were very coordinated, meticulously planned, and intentional efforts to keep inflaming the situation through social media. No matter what the government did to control the situation, they kept trying to worsen it," he said.

He also pointed out that the rioters attacked police with guns which could only be provided by terror outfits and foreign powers.

On reports of involvement of a US intelligence agency like the CIA, Joy said he had no evidence but added, 'maybe, they are'.

He dismissed any Chinese involvement when asked about it.

Dismissing reports of Hasina seeking asylum in the UK or any other country as 'rumours', Joy said the reports of her US Visa being revoked are also untrue.

"Nothing of this sort has been planned (seeking asylum). Sooner or later, there has to be a restoration of democracy in Bangladesh and hopefully, that will be between the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and Awami League. Then Sheikh Hasina will be back."

"At this point, she wants to go back to Bangladesh. It's a question of when rather than if," he said, hinting that the ousted Bangladesh PM will be staying at an undisclosed location in India for now.

Joy, who spent much of his childhood studying in India, appealed to the Indian government to ensure the quick restoration of democracy for stability in the region.

"I want to thank the Indian government for protecting my mother. I owe my heartfelt gratitude to Prime Minister Modi. If India wants stability in its eastern backyard, then they have to pressure the international community and take the lead to ensure the quick restoration of democracy," he said.

Speaking on the 'INDIA-out' campaign in Bangladesh, he said, 'the anti-India forces are already very active, and with Awami League out of power, the ISI is now free to supply as many weapons as it wants to the anti-India forces'.

Joy said India must act fast before anti-India forces gain more ground.

Refuting claims that Hasina ran away to save her own life, he said the family insisted on stopping the bloodshed.

"She was not willing to leave the country. The Prime Minister's security was ready to protect her till the end. But that would have led to hundreds of deaths of protestors who were marching towards the PM's residence. We convinced her for the sake of Bangladesh, we cannot let her get killed," he said.

"Our government was not weak, but my mother did not want to harm the students. Even after her leaving the country, the bloodshed has not stopped. The people will now understand the difference with and without Sheikh Hasina," he said.

The death toll in the anti-government protests in Bangladesh climbed to 440 on Wednesday, with the recovery of 29 more bodies of Hasina's Awami League party members across the country through Tuesday, taking the overall death toll to 469 in nearly three weeks since the protests began in July.

Source : Rediff/PTI

https://www.rediff.com/news/intervi...dia-sentiment-was-extremely-high/20240806.htm

Not Appropriate To Discuss Sheikh Hasina's Plans, Situation In Bangladesh Evolving: MEA​

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said on Thursday that it is up to Bangladesh’s former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to decide on her future plans, and it is not appropriate for India to make any calls regarding that.

Hasina fled to India after stepping down as prime minister on Monday following violent protests demanding her resignation. The 76-year-old Awami League leader landed at an airbase near Delhi on Monday and later moved to a safe location under tight security.

“Our External Affairs Minister has already explained that the approval for former PM Sheikh Hasina to come to India was given at short notice. The situation is still evolving as far as Bangladesh is concerned. It would not be appropriate to talk about her plans,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said during a press briefing.

Bangladesh’s ousted prime minister who fled to India following mass protests against her government, is planning to stay in Delhi “for a little while,” according to her son Sajeeb Wazed Joy. During a video interview with German broadcaster Deutsche Welle on Wednesday, Joy was asked about Hasina’s reported plans to seek asylum in a third country.

“These are all rumors. She has not made a decision on that yet. She is going to stay in Delhi for a little while. My sister is with her, so she is not alone,” Joy said. Hasina’s daughter Saima Wazed is the World Health Organisation’s Regional Director for the Southeast Asia Region, which has its headquarters in New Delhi.

Hasina’s plan to travel to London has hit a roadblock due to the UK’s hesitation to provide her refuge. Rehana’s daughter, Tulip Siddiq, is a member of the British Parliament. Joy, who spoke on the current volatile situation in Bangladesh, was also asked if he has any plans to join politics.

He laughed it off, saying: “There is no such plan right now. This is the third time a coup d’état has been staged against our family.” All his family members, except Hasina, have been living abroad for a long time and settled into their respective lives. He also dismissed the chance of Sheikh Rehana or any other family members joining politics.

'Responsibility Of Every Govt': India Hopes For Early Restoration Of Law, Order In Bangladesh​

India on Thursday expressed hope for the swift restoration of law and order in Bangladesh amid the ongoing crisis, emphasizing the importance of stability for both the country and the broader region.

In a press conference, Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal emphasised that it is the duty of every government to safeguard its citizens’ well-being.

“It is the responsibility of every government to ensure the well-being of all its citizens. We hope for the early restoration of law and order in Bangladesh. This is in the interest of both the country itself and the region as a whole,” Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Randhir Jaiswal said during a press conference.

Randhir Jaiswal should also tell his own government to safeguard all citizens' well-being (including Muslim citizens of India). He should ask his government to protect Muslim Indians from cow vigilante mobs and other extremist groups.

Bangladesh should ensure minorities are protected. They should not be like India.

Muhammad Yunus takes oath as head of Bangladesh’s interim government​

Nobel Peace laureate Muhammad Yunus has been sworn in as the head of Bangladesh’s interim government.

Yunus, 84, took oath at a ceremony in Dhaka on Thursday night after weeks of student-led protests forced Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to resign and flee to neighbouring India.

“I will uphold, support and protect the constitution,” Yunus said during the ceremony, adding that he would perform his duties “sincerely”.

The key tasks for Yunus now are restoring peace in Bangladesh and preparing for new elections.

Bangladesh’s figurehead President Mohammed Shahabuddin administered the oath to Yunus for his role as chief advisor, which is the equivalent to a prime minister, in presence of foreign diplomats, civil society members, top businessmen and members of the former opposition party at the presidential palace in Dhaka.

No representatives of Hasina’s party were present.

Sixteen other people have been included in the interim Cabinet with members drawn mainly from civil society and including two of the student protest leaders. The Cabinet members Yunus as interim leader were chosen in discussions this week among student leaders, civil society representatives and the military.

Hasina quit on Monday after several chaotic weeks that began in July with protests against a quota system for government jobs that critics said favoured people with connections to Hasina’s party.

One thing for sure, Palestine lacks what BD has, people will power. AL mishandled the situation. They started labeling people on events of 1971. Current Gen Z dont care about these age old leaders and wants a change.

AL overall did some improvements to infrastructure and economy, no doubt about that. However, there are some ridiculous amount of corruption in BD politics irrespective of who comes to power. With a neutral government, I expect both economy and infrastructure to get even better. I dont know why they are attacking minorities tho. However, I think this will resolve soon as interim government takes control.

This is also overall bad news for IND.

One thing for sure, Palestine lacks what BD has, people will power. AL mishandled the situation. They started labeling people on events of 1971. Current Gen Z dont care about these age old leaders and wants a change.

AL overall did some improvements to infrastructure and economy, no doubt about that. However, there are some ridiculous amount of corruption in BD politics irrespective of who comes to power. With a neutral government, I expect both economy and infrastructure to get even better. I dont know why they are attacking minorities tho. However, I think this will resolve soon as interim government takes control.

Brother, Palestinians are braver and have far bigger challenges. They have to deal with Israeli airstrikes and whatnot.

May Allah (SWT) grant Palestinians freedom and victory.

As for Awami League, if they did one good thing, they did 5 bad things. They have been harmful for the country overall. Glad they are gone and I hope they will never come back. The party needs to be dissolved.

From students to youngest-ever advisers

History was written yesterday as two 26-year-olds were sworn in as youngest-ever advisers to the interim government, each holding ministerial portfolios.

When the quota reform protests started on July 1, Nahid Islam and Asif Mahmud were mere students at Dhaka University.

The two students along with a few others played a key part in sustaining the movement that rapidly spread across the nation.

Eventually, it turned into a mass upsurge to force Sheikh Hasina to resign as prime minister and flee the country on August 5.

During the protests, they endured torture but refused to bow their heads or step back from their fight for rights.

They drew attention when they were picked up during the first round of curfew slapped by the Hasina government to suppress the quota reform movement. Media reports described how they were tortured and left on the roadside.

Later, Detective Branch (DB) members picked up the two again along with four other coordinators while they were undergoing treatment at Gonoshasthaya Nagar Hospital in the capital. But instead of backing down, they launched a hunger strike at the DB office on July 30, protesting the unjust arrests of their coordinators and the brutal crackdown on students nationwide.

Later, the six coordinators including Nahid and Asif were forced to announce the withdrawal of the anti-discrimination student movement programme in a video message when they were under DB custody.

But after being released from there, they vowed to press on with the movement.

Their persistence paid off as the movement soon resonated with the public.

As police brutality increased, at one stage they announced a one-point demand for Hasina's resignation which ultimately ended the Awami League's rule.

And thus in a month, two students who started a fight against discrimination, ended up being advisers in the interim government.

Nahid is a master's student of sociology at Dhaka University. He enrolled in the university in 2016-2017 session.

He is also the member secretary of Ganotantrik Chhatra Shakti (DU unit), a group formed by breakaway members of Chhatra Odhikar Parishad, led by Nurul Haque Nur.

Asif, another coordinator of the quota reform movement, is a student of linguistics at DU. A close associate of Nahid, Asif serves as the convener of Ganotantrik Chhatra Shakti.

After taking oath as the advisers, both Nahid and Asif said they will fight for the voting rights of the people, work for restoring democracy in the country. They also vowed to eliminate discrimination and injustice from the society.

"If Bangladesh is in the hand of its youths, the country will not derail from its goal," Nahid said.

"People relied on the youth and took to the streets (during the movement). The youth gave blood, so did the countrymen. If the people think that the youth should take the helm of the state, then they are ready to answer the call," he said replying to a query.

Nahid said the interim government has a blend of young and experienced people. It is represented by the people from all opinion.

"The participants of anti-discriminatory student movement will not only work as part of the government but also remain in the streets. Jointly, we will lead the country to prosperity," he said.

"The people of Bangladesh are deprived of voting rights for a long time. The main objective of the government is restoring democracy by ensuring voting rights," he said.

It is not possible to ensure a free and fair election unless a structural reform of the state including the election commission, he said.

Speaking to reporters, Asif said they are ready to embrace the challenge as country's youngest advisers.

"We are prepared to take on this challenge. All the state institutions were ruined under the fascist government. We aim to eliminate fascism by reforming these institutions."

He said while the major parties couldn't oust the autocratic government in the last 17 years, they managed to do so in just four days after announcing their one-point demand.

"We will prove that the younger generation too can serve the country with passion and patriotism," Asif said.

From students to youngest-ever advisers

History was written yesterday as two 26-year-olds were sworn in as youngest-ever advisers to the interim government, each holding ministerial portfolios.

When the quota reform protests started on July 1, Nahid Islam and Asif Mahmud were mere students at Dhaka University.

The two students along with a few others played a key part in sustaining the movement that rapidly spread across the nation.

Eventually, it turned into a mass upsurge to force Sheikh Hasina to resign as prime minister and flee the country on August 5.

During the protests, they endured torture but refused to bow their heads or step back from their fight for rights.

They drew attention when they were picked up during the first round of curfew slapped by the Hasina government to suppress the quota reform movement. Media reports described how they were tortured and left on the roadside.

Later, Detective Branch (DB) members picked up the two again along with four other coordinators while they were undergoing treatment at Gonoshasthaya Nagar Hospital in the capital. But instead of backing down, they launched a hunger strike at the DB office on July 30, protesting the unjust arrests of their coordinators and the brutal crackdown on students nationwide.

Later, the six coordinators including Nahid and Asif were forced to announce the withdrawal of the anti-discrimination student movement programme in a video message when they were under DB custody.

But after being released from there, they vowed to press on with the movement.

Their persistence paid off as the movement soon resonated with the public.

As police brutality increased, at one stage they announced a one-point demand for Hasina's resignation which ultimately ended the Awami League's rule.

And thus in a month, two students who started a fight against discrimination, ended up being advisers in the interim government.

Nahid is a master's student of sociology at Dhaka University. He enrolled in the university in 2016-2017 session.

He is also the member secretary of Ganotantrik Chhatra Shakti (DU unit), a group formed by breakaway members of Chhatra Odhikar Parishad, led by Nurul Haque Nur.

Asif, another coordinator of the quota reform movement, is a student of linguistics at DU. A close associate of Nahid, Asif serves as the convener of Ganotantrik Chhatra Shakti.

After taking oath as the advisers, both Nahid and Asif said they will fight for the voting rights of the people, work for restoring democracy in the country. They also vowed to eliminate discrimination and injustice from the society.

"If Bangladesh is in the hand of its youths, the country will not derail from its goal," Nahid said.

"People relied on the youth and took to the streets (during the movement). The youth gave blood, so did the countrymen. If the people think that the youth should take the helm of the state, then they are ready to answer the call," he said replying to a query.

Nahid said the interim government has a blend of young and experienced people. It is represented by the people from all opinion.

"The participants of anti-discriminatory student movement will not only work as part of the government but also remain in the streets. Jointly, we will lead the country to prosperity," he said.

"The people of Bangladesh are deprived of voting rights for a long time. The main objective of the government is restoring democracy by ensuring voting rights," he said.

It is not possible to ensure a free and fair election unless a structural reform of the state including the election commission, he said.

Speaking to reporters, Asif said they are ready to embrace the challenge as country's youngest advisers.

"We are prepared to take on this challenge. All the state institutions were ruined under the fascist government. We aim to eliminate fascism by reforming these institutions."

He said while the major parties couldn't oust the autocratic government in the last 17 years, they managed to do so in just four days after announcing their one-point demand.

"We will prove that the younger generation too can serve the country with passion and patriotism," Asif said.

Wow! Running the country at the age of 26. That's awesome.

These two dudes were students just 2 months ago. They are now in charge of running the country along with Dr. Yunus (interim government).

Wow! Running the country at the age of 26. That's awesome.

These two dudes were students just 2 months ago. They are now in charge of running the country along with Dr. Yunus (interim government).
Bangladesh is in the right hands now..

so he signed a MoU with the Chinese secret service for what exactly?

What do you think would be in the MoU that's so damaging that they cant disclose it but still RaGa has to stick to its terms because they put it in writing.

Articulate your allegations, dont make just random insinuations because someone forwarded them on whatsapp
why didn't Pappu disclose what MOU is for? Don't nations disclose the keys points of publicly signed MOU?

Pakistan denies Indian claims linking it to Sheikh Hasina's ouster in Bangladesh​

“Pakistan rejects all such statements. Such statements depict India's disturbing obsession with Pakistan. Indian political leaders and their media have a habit of blaming Pakistan for their failures in domestic and foreign policy,” Foreign Office spokesperson Mumtaz Zahra Baloch said in press briefing on Friday.

The spokesperson said Pakistan had expressed its strong support for the people of Bangladesh and solidarity with them as they continue to work towards a harmonious future.

She also confirmed to the reporters that Pakistan’s high Commissioner in Dhaka attended the oath taking ceremony of Professor Muhammad Younus, the head of the interim government in Bangladesh.

The FO spokesperson also said that Pakistan would support all efforts leading to peace in the Middle East, stressing war in the region must be avoided.

As Iran prepares for possible strikes against Israel to avenge the assassination of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh, the foreign office spokesperson also dismissed reports claiming that Pakistan had agreed to supply ballistic missiles to Iran for an attack on the Jewish State.

The report first appeared in The Jerusalem Post, which was later picked up by the Indian media.

“Such reports are patently false. Before paying any attention to such reports, it is important to reflect on the source behind such baseless reports and the malicious agenda behind them. This is a critical time in the Middle East. We, therefore, urge all parties, including the media, not to indulge in peddling of fake news,” Baloch said.

When asked about Pakistan's strategy and preparation for the potential Iranian attack on Israel, the spokesperson said the war must be avoided in the Middle East.

“First, with regards to the recent developments in the Middle East, including following the assassination of the head of the Political Bureau of Hamas, the Foreign Minister of the Islamic Republic of Iran held a telephone conversation with the Deputy Prime Minister of Pakistan, and he conveyed the concerns of Iran on the recent development” she explained.

She added that later on, this issue had been discussed extensively at the OIC as well.

“Pakistan has strongly condemned the assassination. We strongly condemn the Israeli adventurism in the region. Since October last year, we have repeatedly called for an urgent and unconditional ceasefire and lifting of siege in Gaza, because we believe that Israeli actions against the Palestinians and against its neighbours are creating instability in the region.”

“We also believe that a war in the Middle East must be avoided. Pakistan will therefore support all efforts to ensure peace in the Middle East,” the spokesperson said.

It is believed that Pakistan engaged with relevant stakeholders from behind the scenes and supported efforts leading to easing of tensions.

Pakistan fears any escalation or potential of a wider war may have serious implications for the country.

The spokesperson said the OIC in its extraordinary meeting issued a statement clearly stating that Israel was behind the killing of Ismail Haniyey.

“The meeting discussed the ongoing crimes by the occupying power against the Palestinian people and its infringement of the sovereignty of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The statement is quite clear. It has held Israel responsible for the heinous attack that led to the assassination of Mr. Ismail Haniyeh,” she said.

The act was defined by the OIC as a crime of aggression, a flagrant violation of international law and the UN Charter and a serious infringement of sovereignty, territorial integrity and national security of the Islamic Republic of Iran, she noted.

It also warned that the ongoing crimes of Israel undermine security and stability in the region. It has urged an effective and urgent intervention of the UN Security Council, which has the primary responsibility of maintaining international peace and security.

“So, I must underline that under international law, it is the responsibility of the United Nations Security Council to uphold international peace and to ensure that the Middle East region does not descend into violence and chaos,” the spokesperson stressed.

Sheikh Hasina will return to Bangladesh soon, sought no asylum: Son Sajeeb Wazed​

Former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will return to her country as the situation improves, her son, Sajeeb Wazed Joy, said on Friday. He stated that the 76-year-old leader is focused on reviving her party, the Awami League, and asserted that it will return to power again once elections are held.

In an interview with AajTak Bangla, Wazed also clarified that Hasina has not applied for asylum in any country and intends to return to Bangladesh soon.

"There is a lot of misinformation. She has not applied for asylum anywhere, whether in the UK, the US, or Finland. She has no plans to go far from her country. She intends to return to Bangladesh soon," Wazed emphasised.

Hasina, who resigned as the Prime Minister of Bangladesh and fled the country on August 5 amid violent protests demanding her ouster, is currently in India.

Wazed mentioned that whether Hasina will retire from politics or continue will be decided after further discussion. Earlier, Wazed had indicated that Hasina would retire from politics.

"No decision regarding this has been made yet. The Awami League requires a reshuffle, and she is focusing on that," he said.

Wazed added that Hasina is committed to reviving the party, believing in the strength of the Awami League and hoping to come back stronger.

"Yes, she was disheartened when we saw that our leaders and activists were being killed. We said that our leaders and activists could not be left like this. They have to be organised and kept safe. She firmly believes in the strength of the Awami League and hopes to bounce back stronger," Hasina’s son said.

He also expressed his gratitude to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for providing shelter when Hasina arrived from Dhaka at the Hindon Airbase in Ghaziabad. However, Wazed said he is unaware of whether the former Bangladesh PM had any conversations with PM Modi or External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.

"I am not privy to that conversation if there was any. But first, I want to express my gratitude to Prime Minister Modi. With sincere gratitude, I will say my mother is safe now," he said.

"There was no active involvement of the Indian government until our government fell, not even during the initial days of the crisis," Wazed added.

Bangladesh was in turmoil for over a month as students launched a protest against a quota system for government jobs, which later snowballed into a massive agitation leading to Hasina's resignation.

Commenting on the safety of Hindu minorities in Bangladesh, Wazed said that Hindus would be safe if the Awami League returns to power.

Sheikh Hasina will return to Bangladesh soon, sought no asylum: Son Sajeeb Wazed​

Former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will return to her country as the situation improves, her son, Sajeeb Wazed Joy, said on Friday. He stated that the 76-year-old leader is focused on reviving her party, the Awami League, and asserted that it will return to power again once elections are held.

In an interview with AajTak Bangla, Wazed also clarified that Hasina has not applied for asylum in any country and intends to return to Bangladesh soon.

"There is a lot of misinformation. She has not applied for asylum anywhere, whether in the UK, the US, or Finland. She has no plans to go far from her country. She intends to return to Bangladesh soon," Wazed emphasised.

Hasina, who resigned as the Prime Minister of Bangladesh and fled the country on August 5 amid violent protests demanding her ouster, is currently in India.

Wazed mentioned that whether Hasina will retire from politics or continue will be decided after further discussion. Earlier, Wazed had indicated that Hasina would retire from politics.

"No decision regarding this has been made yet. The Awami League requires a reshuffle, and she is focusing on that," he said.

Wazed added that Hasina is committed to reviving the party, believing in the strength of the Awami League and hoping to come back stronger.

"Yes, she was disheartened when we saw that our leaders and activists were being killed. We said that our leaders and activists could not be left like this. They have to be organised and kept safe. She firmly believes in the strength of the Awami League and hopes to bounce back stronger," Hasina’s son said.

He also expressed his gratitude to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for providing shelter when Hasina arrived from Dhaka at the Hindon Airbase in Ghaziabad. However, Wazed said he is unaware of whether the former Bangladesh PM had any conversations with PM Modi or External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.

"I am not privy to that conversation if there was any. But first, I want to express my gratitude to Prime Minister Modi. With sincere gratitude, I will say my mother is safe now," he said.

"There was no active involvement of the Indian government until our government fell, not even during the initial days of the crisis," Wazed added.

Bangladesh was in turmoil for over a month as students launched a protest against a quota system for government jobs, which later snowballed into a massive agitation leading to Hasina's resignation.

Commenting on the safety of Hindu minorities in Bangladesh, Wazed said that Hindus would be safe if the Awami League returns to power.

LOL.

If she returns, she is likely to go to jail. Even death penalty can't be ruled out.

Bangladeshi journalists hopeful of press freedom as Hasina era ends

Bangladeshi journalists are hoping the resignation of the prime minister Sheikh Hasina will bring an era of censorship and fear to an end, as they prepare to hold a new interim government to account.

Arrests, abuse and forced disappearances at the hands of Bangladesh’s security forces have loomed over journalists for most of Hasina’s 15-year rule, preventing them from routine reporting for fear of writing anything that could be perceived as embarrassing for the government.

Last year, Hasina labelled the country’s largest circulated newspaper, Prothom Alo, an “enemy of the people” for reporting on inflation.

But this week, cautious optimism has begun to spread among Bangladeshi journalists.

“I’m hopeful. At the very least, we have seen the back of a repressive government, which is itself a major achievement,” said Zafar Sobhan, the editor of the English-language daily newspaper Dhaka Tribune.

Sobhan said the first few years under Hasina’s Awami League were relatively free but the situation for the press rapidly deteriorated after the opposition’s boycott of the 2014 election raised questions over the government’s legitimacy.

Sobhan said he constantly feared his journalists would be attacked by officials and security forces and did not have faith in the judiciary providing protection. He said that when one of his reporters was jailed for potential voter fraud in the 2018 election, he “had to move heaven and earth” to have them released.

He said he hoped now the country’s most repressive laws, which also cover social media posts, would be repealed to allow the country to “set things right”.

“Things could very easily go very wrong but I am hopeful that the Bangladeshi people will be able to rise to the challenge and fashion a freer and fairer world for ourselves moving forward,” said Sobhan.

The government of Hasina’s rival and predecessor Khaleda Zia first introduced the Information and Communication Technology Act in 2006, which covered digital communication and restricted media freedoms. This was replaced in 2018 by the harsher Digital Security Act, which has been most associated with the suppression of the media under Hasina.

Critics said a clause allowing investigation into anyone considered to be threatening “the spirit of liberation” was vaguely worded and exploited to allow a crackdown on dissent.

The Dhaka-based thinktank the Centre for Governance Studies, said 7,000 cases were filed under the act between 2018 and 2023, including 255 against journalists for their reporting.

Of those, 155 journalists were charged under section 25 which covers “publishing, sending of offensive, false or fear-inducing data-information”, which carries a three-year sentence.

A further 154 faced five years in jail for “publishing, broadcasting and disseminating defamatory information”.

After international criticism, the Digital Security Act was replaced last year with the Cybersecurity Act, which Amnesty International said was almost identical to the previous law.

Amnesty International this week called on the new interim government to repeal all laws that restrict freedom of expression.

Taqbir Huda, a regional researcher for south Asia at Amnesty, said: “The interim government must undo this longstanding legacy of quashing dissent by repealing laws such as the CSA, which threaten and undermine the rights to freedom of expression, liberty and privacy in Bangladesh.”

Muktadir Rashid, a reporter for the newly established news site Bangla Outlook, said editors at his previous paper, New Age, would frequently reject his articles without explanation. His investigations into human rights abuses and reports of extrajudicial killings attracted threats from security forces.

Bangladeshis are making a list of Awami League folks who have killed/hurt innocent people during the protest (it is a site called chinerakhun).

Good move. They need to be held accountable for crimes against Bangladeshi people.

I have a feeling many Awami League members would qualify for death penalties or prison sentences once all the trials are done.

Last edited by a moderator:
232 killed since Sheikh Hasina fled to India; Hindus protest over violence

At least 232 people have reportedly died in various attacks and conflicts across Bangladesh over the past three days, after prime minister Sheikh Hasina resigned and fled to India on August 5 amid massive protests demanding her ouster, The Dhaka Tribune reported

Severe and bloody anti-government protests in Bangladesh over the past three weeks, which led to the fall of the Sheikh Hasina government and the taking over of the country’s administration by an interim government led by Nobel Laureate Muhammad Yunus, has resulted in an overall death of 469 people till reports last received, news agency Reuters reported.

Local media outlets have reported severe persecution of minorities in Bangladesh in the wake of the violence leading to several attempts by panicked Bangladeshis to illegally cross over to India over the past few days.

The death of 232 people was reported by by daily Prothom Alo on Thursday. The report states that most of the deaths took place on Tuesday, with some people dying while undergoing treatment.

Bangladesh’s main opposition party, Bangladesh Nationalist Party, said Sheikh Hasina must face criminal charges in the country, and warned India risked damaging ties with its neighbour because it’s sheltering the former leader, Bloomberg reported.

SOURCE: https://www.hindustantimes.com/worl...ver-violence-top-updates-101723248633481.html

Bangladesh Chief Justice Says Will Resign After Protest Ultimatum: Broadcaster

The chief justice of Bangladesh's top court said Saturday he had agreed to resign "in principle" after an ultimatum to do so from protesters, broadcaster Jamuna TV reported.

Obaidul Hassan, who was appointed to helm the Supreme Court last year and is seen as a loyalist to ousted premier Sheikh Hasina, was told to step down by protesters who gathered outside the court in the capital Dhaka.

AFP

Bangladesh Chief Justice Says Will Resign After Protest Ultimatum: Broadcaster

The chief justice of Bangladesh's top court said Saturday he had agreed to resign "in principle" after an ultimatum to do so from protesters, broadcaster Jamuna TV reported.

Obaidul Hassan, who was appointed to helm the Supreme Court last year and is seen as a loyalist to ousted premier Sheikh Hasina, was told to step down by protesters who gathered outside the court in the capital Dhaka.

AFP

Yeah. He should step down for things to be neutral.

Bangladesh Chief Justice Resigns After Hundreds Of Protesters Gherao Supreme Court​

Days after massive unrest ousted Sheikh Hasina government in Bangladesh, Chief Justice Obaidul Hassan has decided to step down from his position after the student protestors turned towards the Supreme Court demanding the resignation of all judges, including Hassan.

Following a meeting with President Mohammed Shahabuddin scheduled for the evening, the 65-year-old judge will submit his resignation, Dhaka Tribune reported.

According to Daily Star, hundreds of protestors on Saturday reportedly surrounded the Supreme Court and issued an ultimatum to Chief Justice Obaidul Hassan and judges of the Appellate Division to resign by 1pm (local time).

The chief justice revealed his decision around 1 pm after protesters of the Anti-Discrimination Student Movement gathered at the court premises.

According to the reports, the Chief Justice left the building as tensions escalated. The protesters have threatened that they would besiege judges’ residences, if they fail to resign before the ultimatum.

Around 10:30am on Saturday, a huge mob, including students and lawyers, started gathering in the Court premises, demanding resignation of the chief justice and the judges of the Appellate Division.

The protests were sparked by a full-court meeting called by Chief Justice Hassan, who is seen as a loyalist to ousted premier Hasina, without consulting the newly formed interim government. The protestors alleged that the judges are part of a conspiracy, prompting outrage and demands for accountability. Amid the unrest, the chief justice postponed the full court meeting.

However, the protesting students announced a siege of the court premises. In the face of student protest, Chief Justice Hassan postponed the meeting and later said that he would step down.

The Chief Justice told journalists at the apex court premises that he has decided to resign considering the safety of the judges of Supreme Court, High Court and lower courts across the country amid the emerging situation, The Daily Star reported.

“There are some formalities for the resignation. Completing those, I will send my resignation letter to President Mohammed Shahabuddin by this evening,” he added.

Bangladesh economy was artificially built economy which has been exposed for quite sometime now

What does artificially built economy mean?

Bangladesh faces the same problem as rest of sub continent in terms of over population, corruption. So unemployment would eventually always be a problem till they control their population.

Compared to all the previous governments, in pure economy terms was Hasina’s tenure the golden age of BD?

What does artificially built economy mean?

1. The country's economic growth might be overstated or not entirely real.
2. Bangladesh relies too heavily on money sent back by citizens working abroad, which can be unpredictable.
3. The country receives a lot of foreign aid, which can create dependency rather than self-sustaining growth.
4. The economy hasn't diversified enough, with too much focus on agriculture and not enough on other industries.
5. Some people think corruption and favoritism might be distorting the economy.

But, on the other hand, I've also heard that:

1. Bangladesh has made real progress in reducing poverty and growing its economy under Sheikh Hasina.
2. The country has invested in important areas like infrastructure, education, and healthcare.
3. Bangladesh has expanded its exports and attracted foreign investment.

Today Bangladeshi rioters taken huge rally to Chief Supreme Court Judge and forced him to resign…. What a democracy

Bangladesh…. Next Afghanistan in making

1. The country's economic growth might be overstated or not entirely real.
2. Bangladesh relies too heavily on money sent back by citizens working abroad, which can be unpredictable.
3. The country receives a lot of foreign aid, which can create dependency rather than self-sustaining growth.
4. The economy hasn't diversified enough, with too much focus on agriculture and not enough on other industries.
5. Some people think corruption and favoritism might be distorting the economy.

But, on the other hand, I've also heard that:

1. Bangladesh has made real progress in reducing poverty and growing its economy under Sheikh Hasina.
2. The country has invested in important areas like infrastructure, education, and healthcare.
3. Bangladesh has expanded its exports and attracted foreign investment.

Bangaldesh's economic growth is real, their garment manufacturing business is a massive booming sector . Every other garment in big stores in the UK is made in Bangladesh.

Every developing country's growth story isnt perfect. its unequal with a few economic sectors growing much faster and increasing inequality. But even if its imperfect, its still growth and HDI and per capital has improved a lot in the last decade or two

The next government will have to build on the growth. They first have to restore order and stability. Anarchy and lawlessness will quickly undo the progress made

This is not true.

I have seen Palestinians and they’re the most resilient people anywhere in the world. The Islamist leadership in these countries is extremely powerful which is why they don’t have strong democratic institutions. That’s the issue

Breaking news.

Awami League folks attacked army and army vehicle in Gopalganj (a small city). But, things are under control now.

Hasina accuses US involvement in ouster, says could've stayed in power if surrendered St Martin: ET report

Indian media reported that former Prime Minister of Bangladesh Sheikh Hasina, who fled to Delhi amidst protests, has accused the USA of ousting her from power for not handing over Saint Martin Island, which would have enabled the US to have "sway over the Bay of Bengal".

Indian newspaper Economic Times claimed that in a message, made available to the daily, conveyed to her close associates Hasina also cautioned Bangladeshi nationals not to get manipulated by radicals.

Although the Economic Times and several other Indian media came up with this news, TBS couldn't verify it independently. None from her party or family confirmed this message.

"I resigned so that I did not have to see the procession of dead bodies. They wanted to come to power over the dead bodies of students, but I did not allow it. I resigned from the premiership," Hasina said.

"I could have remained in power if I had surrendered the sovereignty of Saint Martin Island and allowed America to hold sway over the Bay of Bengal. I beseech to the people of my land, 'Please do not be manipulated by radicals," she added.

"If I had remained in the country, more lives would have been lost, more resources would have been destroyed. I made the extremely difficult decision to exit. I became your leader because you chose me. You were my strength," Hasina emphasised.

"My heart cries upon receiving news that many leaders have been killed, workers are being harassed, and their homes are subjected to vandalism and arson … With the grace of almighty Allah, I will return soon. Awami League has stood up again and again. I shall forever pray for Bangladesh's future, the nation my great father strived for. The country for which my father and family gave their lives," she said in the message ET published.

Referring to the quota movement and student protests, Hasina said, "I would like to repeat to the young students of Bangladesh. I have never called you Razakars. Rather, My words were distorted to incite you. I request that you watch the full video of that day. Conspirators have taken advantage of innocence and used you to destabilise the nation."

Before the quota movement, Hasina told parliament in April that America was pursuing a regime change strategy in her country.

"They are trying to eliminate democracy and introduce a government that will not have a democratic existence," she said back then.

SOURCE: https://www.tbsnews.net/bangladesh/...ays-couldve-remained-power-if-she-surrendered

Bangladeshi interim government should be aware of potential Awami League moles in the government. These moles need to be identified and sacked ASAP. They are like trojan horses.

Anyway, I wrote a poem called "Throw Hasina's Legacy Down the Well". Here it is:

In my country there was a problem
That problem was Hasina
She stole everybody's freedom
She never gave it back

Throw Hasina's legacy down the well
So my country can be free

If you see Hasina coming
You must be careful of her scheme
She is a little Indian agent
Subservient to Narendra Modi

So my country can be free.

Bangladesh's ex-PM investigated for murder

A murder investigation has been opened into Bangladesh's ex-premier Sheikh Hasina over the police killing of a man during civil unrest last month.

Six other top figures in the previous government are also being investigated following weeks of deadly unrest in the capital Dhaka.

Mamun Mia, a lawyer who brought the case on behalf of a private citizen, said the court in Dhaka had ordered police to accept "the murder case against the accused persons".

This is the first step in a criminal investigation under Bangladeshi law.

Ms Hasina resigned and left the country earlier this month, fleeing to New Delhi, India after political unrest destabilised the government.

More than 400 people were killed in weeks of student demonstrations against Ms Hasina. Many of them were shot by the police, on her orders.

Businessman Amir Hamza applied to bring the murder case in July, after a local grocer, Abu Saeed was shot in the head while crossing the road.

He told a court that on 19 July, students were holding a peaceful protest, and police had fired indiscriminately on the crowd, according to BBC Bangla.

Mr Hamza said he was not related to Mr Saeed but approached the court because Saeed's family did not have the finances to file the case.

"I am the first ordinary citizen who showed the courage to take this legal step against Sheikh Hasina for her crimes. I will see the case to an end," he told Reuters news agency.

Magistrate Rajesh Chowdhury ordered the police to investigate the case, the first to be brought against Ms Hasina since the protests started.

The former Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader is among those being investigated.

Hasina's government, which was in power for 15 years, was accused of widespread human rights violations and dogged by allegations of rampant corruption.

The most recent student protests began in early July, starting out as peaceful demands from university students to scrap quotas in civil service jobs, before transforming into a wider movement to topple the government.

Ms Hasina urged police to clamp down hard on the protestors, referring to them as "not students but terrorists who are out to destabilise the nation".

The recently formed new government contains many of the protestors, and is helmed by Nobel Peace laureate Muhammad Yunus.

Ms Hasina will return to the country when elections are declared, her son Sajeeb Wazed Joy has said.

BBC

Bangladesh's ex-PM investigated for murder

A murder investigation has been opened into Bangladesh's ex-premier Sheikh Hasina over the police killing of a man during civil unrest last month.

Six other top figures in the previous government are also being investigated following weeks of deadly unrest in the capital Dhaka.

Mamun Mia, a lawyer who brought the case on behalf of a private citizen, said the court in Dhaka had ordered police to accept "the murder case against the accused persons".

This is the first step in a criminal investigation under Bangladeshi law.

Ms Hasina resigned and left the country earlier this month, fleeing to New Delhi, India after political unrest destabilised the government.

More than 400 people were killed in weeks of student demonstrations against Ms Hasina. Many of them were shot by the police, on her orders.

Businessman Amir Hamza applied to bring the murder case in July, after a local grocer, Abu Saeed was shot in the head while crossing the road.

He told a court that on 19 July, students were holding a peaceful protest, and police had fired indiscriminately on the crowd, according to BBC Bangla.

Mr Hamza said he was not related to Mr Saeed but approached the court because Saeed's family did not have the finances to file the case.

"I am the first ordinary citizen who showed the courage to take this legal step against Sheikh Hasina for her crimes. I will see the case to an end," he told Reuters news agency.

Magistrate Rajesh Chowdhury ordered the police to investigate the case, the first to be brought against Ms Hasina since the protests started.

The former Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader is among those being investigated.

Hasina's government, which was in power for 15 years, was accused of widespread human rights violations and dogged by allegations of rampant corruption.

The most recent student protests began in early July, starting out as peaceful demands from university students to scrap quotas in civil service jobs, before transforming into a wider movement to topple the government.

Ms Hasina urged police to clamp down hard on the protestors, referring to them as "not students but terrorists who are out to destabilise the nation".

The recently formed new government contains many of the protestors, and is helmed by Nobel Peace laureate Muhammad Yunus.

Ms Hasina will return to the country when elections are declared, her son Sajeeb Wazed Joy has said.

BBC

Good to see this.

Hasina should be arrested and taken to court if she returns to Bangladesh.

Found this on Facebook (folks were saying it was confirmed by one of the Bangladeshi newspapers):

৪ আগস্ট রাতেই শেখ হাসিনা কুমিল্লা ক্যান্টনমেন্টে সেইফ এক্সিটের জন্য রিকুয়েস্ট করে কিন্তু কুমিল্লা ক্যান্টনমেন্টে রিজেক্ট করে দেয় পরদিন সকালে আর্মি নেভি এয়ারফোর্স এবং পুলিশ চিফ গণভবনে যায়। তারা পৌঁছানোর আগেই শেখ হাসিনা প্রচন্ড রাগান্বিত অবস্থায় অবস্থান করছিলেন। পরিস্থিতির অবনতি হওয়ায় তিনি স্পেশাল সিকিউরিটি ফোর্সের সদস্যদের অস্ত্র লোড রাখার নির্দেশ দেন। শেখ হাসিনার নির্দেশে এসএসএফ অস্ত্র লোড রাখে সেই মুহূর্তে চার বাহিনীর চিফ গণভবনে আসলে এসএসএফ তাদের দিকে অস্ত্র তাক করে। কাউন্টার পজিশন নেয় সেনাপ্রধানের ফোর্সও।দুই বাহিনীর মাঝে পয়েন্ট ব্ল্যাংক রেঞ্জে পড়ে যান শেখ হাসিনা। তখন শেখ রেহানা ওই রুমে অবস্থান করছিলেন। আর্মি চিফ এবং এয়ার চিফ মার্শাল স্মার্টলি সিচুয়েশন হ্যান্ডেল করেন। তারা শেখ রেহানাকে অন্য কক্ষে নিয়ে যান। এরপর সজীব ওয়াজেদ জয়কে ফোন করা হয়। জয় সেনাপ্রধানকে বলেন “তোকে উপরে উঠাইছে আমার মা, তুই কি করিস বসে বসে? তোরও তো বউ বাচ্চা আছে; দেখে নিব” জবাবে সেনাপ্রধান জয়কে বলেন “জয় শান্ত হও। পরিস্থিতি আমাদের নিয়ন্ত্রণের বাইরে। এই মুহূর্তে হয় ম্যাডাম (শেখ হাসিনা) রিজাইন দিবেন, নয়ত আমি স্টেপ আউট করব। তখন এসএসএফ আমাকে মেরে ফেলবে। আর আমাকে মারলে আমার ফোর্স তোমার মাকে হ ত্যা করবে” পরবর্তীতে শেখ হাসিনা পদত্যাগ করেন। এবং যাওয়ার পূর্বে পুলিশের আইজিপিকে নির্দেশ দেন "আমি চলে যাওয়ার এক মাসের মধ্যে দেশের এমন অবস্থা করবেন যেন আগামী ২০-২৫ বছরে দেশ মাথা তুলে দাঁড়াতে না পারে" ―

Translation:
On the night of August 4, Sheikh Hasina requested for a safe exit at Comilla Cantonment but was rejected by Comilla Cantonment. The next morning, the Army, Navy, Air Force and Police Chief went to Ganabhaban (Hasina's home). Before they arrived, Sheikh Hasina was in a very angry state. As the situation worsened, she ordered the members of the Special Security Force to keep their weapons loaded. On Sheikh Hasina's orders, the SSF loaded the weapons, and at that moment, the chiefs of the four forces came to the Ganobhaban and the SSF pointed their weapons at them. Army chief's forces also took a counter position. Sheikh Hasina fell in the point blank range between the two forces. At that time Sheikh Rehana (Hasina's sister) was staying in that room. Army Chief and Air Chief Marshal handled the situation smartly. They took Sheikh Rehana to another room. Then Sajeeb Wazed Joy (Hasina's son) was called. Joy said to the army chief, "My mother is lifting you up; what are you doing?" You also have a wife and children; I will see." In response, the army chief said to Joy, "Joy, calm down. The situation is beyond our control. At this moment, either Madam (Sheikh Hasina) will resign, or I will step out. Then SSF will kill me. And if you kill me, my force will kill your mother." After that, Sheikh Hasina resigned. And before leaving, she ordered the IGP of Police "Within one month of my departure, make the country such that the country cannot raise its head in the next 20-25 years."

Reference: https://www.facebook.com/groups/987710015714202.

Again Al Jazeera news 😂

I think Sweep_Shot is their correspondent in BD.

Al-Jazeera has more credibility than whole of Indian media combined.

You Indians pretend you lot know more about Bangladesh than Bangladeshis themselves. LOL.

Al-Jazeera has more credibility than whole of Indian media combined.

You Indians pretend you lot know more about Bangladesh than Bangladeshis themselves. LOL.

I sometimes don't respond to you as I find you ignorant on topics like Israel-Palestine, Islam, and obviously Bangladesh.
Credibility where? In Islamic nations?

AL Jazeera is as credible as Fox News or CNN or BBC or Arnab's News Channel. All biased news to create a narrative.

Former Bangladesh PM Hasina demands probe into July 'killings and vandalism'​

Former Bangladesh prime minister Sheikh Hasina called on Tuesday for action against those involved in "killings and vandalism" in the country last month, her first comments since violent protests forced her to flee to India.

Around 300 people died in the demonstrations that began as protests against employment quotas but spiralled into a movement seeking Hasina's overthrow.

Hasina's statement, issued on X through her son, came hours after a court ordered a probe into her role in the death of a grocery shop owner during the protests.

Many people died "in the name of revolution" in July, Hasina said.

"I demand that those involved in these killings and vandalism be properly investigated and the culprits be identified and punished accordingly," she said.

Other members of her government also face criminal action, with former law minister Anisul Huq and Hasina's adviser Salman F Rahman arrested for allegedly "instigating" the murder of two people, police said on Tuesday.

The case against Hasina - the first following the protests - was filed by Amir Hamza and accepted by Dhaka's chief metropolitan magistrate's court after a hearing, Hamza's lawyer Anwarul Islam said, adding that police have been ordered to investigate.

Six others accused in the case include Obaidul Quader, the general secretary of Hasina's Awami League party, former Interior Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal and senior police officials.

Hamza alleged grocer Abu Saeed was hit by a bullet while crossing the street on July 19 as police fired on protesters in Dhaka's Mohammadpur area.

The complainant blamed Hasina, who had called for strong action to quell the violence, for the shooting.

Hamza said he was not related to Saeed but approached the court because Saeed's family could not afford to file the case.
"I am the first ordinary citizen who showed the courage to take this legal step against Sheikh Hasina for her crimes. I will see the case to an end," Hamza told Reuters.

Hasina could not be immediately reached for comment. Quader's phone was switched off, while Kamal did not answer his phone when Reuters tried to reach him.

Bangladeshi student leader Nahid Islam, now part of the interim government, said recently that Hasina must face trial for the killings during her term.

Hasina plans to return to Bangladesh when the caretaker government decides on holding elections, her son has said.

Former Bangladesh PM Hasina demands probe into July 'killings and vandalism'​

Former Bangladesh prime minister Sheikh Hasina called on Tuesday for action against those involved in "killings and vandalism" in the country last month, her first comments since violent protests forced her to flee to India.

Around 300 people died in the demonstrations that began as protests against employment quotas but spiralled into a movement seeking Hasina's overthrow.

Hasina's statement, issued on X through her son, came hours after a court ordered a probe into her role in the death of a grocery shop owner during the protests.

Many people died "in the name of revolution" in July, Hasina said.

"I demand that those involved in these killings and vandalism be properly investigated and the culprits be identified and punished accordingly," she said.

Other members of her government also face criminal action, with former law minister Anisul Huq and Hasina's adviser Salman F Rahman arrested for allegedly "instigating" the murder of two people, police said on Tuesday.

The case against Hasina - the first following the protests - was filed by Amir Hamza and accepted by Dhaka's chief metropolitan magistrate's court after a hearing, Hamza's lawyer Anwarul Islam said, adding that police have been ordered to investigate.

Six others accused in the case include Obaidul Quader, the general secretary of Hasina's Awami League party, former Interior Minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal and senior police officials.

Hamza alleged grocer Abu Saeed was hit by a bullet while crossing the street on July 19 as police fired on protesters in Dhaka's Mohammadpur area.

The complainant blamed Hasina, who had called for strong action to quell the violence, for the shooting.

Hamza said he was not related to Saeed but approached the court because Saeed's family could not afford to file the case.
"I am the first ordinary citizen who showed the courage to take this legal step against Sheikh Hasina for her crimes. I will see the case to an end," Hamza told Reuters.

Hasina could not be immediately reached for comment. Quader's phone was switched off, while Kamal did not answer his phone when Reuters tried to reach him.

Bangladeshi student leader Nahid Islam, now part of the interim government, said recently that Hasina must face trial for the killings during her term.

Hasina plans to return to Bangladesh when the caretaker government decides on holding elections, her son has said.

Hahaha!

Does this lady think she is still in charge? For the record, there is now a court case against her. Many of her henchmen/leaders have been arrested already.

Bangladesh court orders murder probe into ousted former leader Sheikh Hasina

A court in Bangladesh has ordered an investigation into former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s alleged role in the police killing of a man during the deadly protests that led to her ouster, state media reported Tuesday.

Hasina, who fled the country earlier this month following weeks of unrest, is accused, along with other top officials, in the death of a grocery store owner on July 19, according to news agency Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha.

The murder complaint, filed Tuesday in the Dhaka Metropolitan Court, is the first legal case to be filed against Hasina following her deadly crackdown on huge protests against government employment quotas, that erupted across Bangladesh last month.

About 300 people were killed in clashes between students, government supporters and armed police, according to analysis by local media and agencies. At least 32 of those killed were children, according to the United Nations’ children’s agency.

The murder case also names Hasina’s former home minister Asaduzzaman Khan, the general secretary of her party, and four former top police officers.

CNN has reached out to the lawyer who filed the case for comment.

In her first public remarks since leaving Bangladesh, Hasina on Tuesday called for an investigation into the “heinous killings and acts of sabotage” during the protests.

Her statement, posted on X via her son, did not mention the murder case against her, but said acts of “sabotage, arson, and violence” had resulted in “many innocent citizens of our country losing their lives.”

“I demand a thorough investigation to identify and bring to justice those responsible for these heinous killings and acts of sabotage,” Hasina said.

Credibility where? In Islamic nations?

AL Jazeera is as credible as Fox News or CNN or BBC or Arnab's News Channel. All biased news to create a narrative.
Every news outlet is biased but you’ll have to do better to counter than just say , “aljzazeera”etc”.

Counter the content.

Hasina's leaders/henchmen are getting arrested left, right, and center. May our country become free from this filth very soon.

Hasina also has a court case now. LOL. Can't wait for her to get arrested.

#JoyBangla

Every news outlet is biased but you’ll have to do better to counter than just say , “aljzazeera”etc”.

Counter the content.

BJP Indian logic: If a news outlet doesn't agree with us, it is always biased and inaccurate. Only if it agrees with our view, it is a good source.

No national holiday on Aug 15

The advisory council of the interim government yesterday took the decision that there would be no national holiday on August 15.

"The decision to cancel the national holiday on August 15 was taken unanimously after a discussion with the council of advisers and political parties," said a press release sent from the Chief Adviser's Office.

The development comes after seven political parties in separate meetings with Prof Muhammad Yunus, the chief adviser of the interim government, on Monday conveyed that August 15 should not be observed as a day of mourning and the public holiday is not needed.

The seven parties include BNP, Jamaat-e-Islami, Amar Bangladesh Party, two factions of Gono Adhikar Parishad, Bangladesh Jatiya Party (Partha) and the National Democratic Movement.

However, it is still not clear whether August 15 would be observed as the National Mourning Day, which was introduced by the government of then prime minister Sheikh Hasina on August 8, 1996.

On August 15, 1975, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman was assassinated along with most of his family members in a military coup led by a group of disgruntled army officers.

Following the Awami League government's decision, August 15 was used to be observed with due respect at the state level with the national flag flying at half-mast all over the country and at Bangladesh missions abroad.

But on August 8, 2002, then BNP-led four-party alliance government issued an order cancelling the observance of National Mourning Day and a public holiday on August 15.

However, a High Court order in July 2008 revoked the order of the immediate past government and the day has been observed as National Mourning Day since.

At the meeting held at the State Guesthouse Jamuna yesterday, the advisory council also decided to abolish the provision of Bangladesh Bank Order 1972 that set the highest age limit for the appointment of the central bank governor at 67 years.

The age limit creates obstacles in appointing a person with expertise and experience for the post. In many Asian countries, including neighbouring India and Sri Lanka, there is no mention of the maximum age limit for the post of central bank governor, the press statement said.

The decision was made to pave the way for Ahsan H Mansur to become the next BB governor. Mansur, the executive director of the Policy Research Institute, is 72 years and eight months old.

The advisory council of the interim government adopted a condolence motion in honour of the martyrs who sacrificed their lives during the mass uprising of students and the public.

A committee will be formed under the initiative of the Health Services Division, comprising representatives from the Anti-discrimination Student Movement, the Finance Division and the relevant ministries and departments, to provide medical treatment to the injured and support to the families of the martyrs.

The committee will draft a policy for providing medical treatment to the injured and support to the families of the martyrs.

Additionally, it will prepare a comprehensive list identifying the martyrs and the injured individuals.

More than 400 people, including students and police personnel, were killed in the violence centring the students' quota reform protests that later took the form of a mass uprising. Several thousands of protestors were injured, too.

SOURCE: https://www.thedailystar.net/news/b...hurt-miscreants-attack-ctg-press-club-3677726

Bangladesh mob beats ex-PM Hasina's supporters on site of planned rally​

Mobs vowing to guard Bangladesh's student-led revolution roamed the site of a planned rally for ousted premier Sheikh Hasina on Thursday, beating up some of her suspected supporters with bamboo rods and pipes.

Hasina, 76, fled to neighbouring India by helicopter last week as student-led protests flooded Dhaka's streets in a dramatic end to her iron-fisted rule of 15 years.

Thursday is the anniversary of the 1975 assassination during a military coup of her father, independence hero Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, a date her government had declared a national holiday.

Huge rallies around Bangladesh marked the occasion in previous years but those glad to see Hasina toppled were eager to ensure supporters of her Awami League party did not have a chance to regroup.

"Fugitive and dictator Sheikh Hasina has ordered her goons and militia forces to come to the site so they can produce a counter-revolution," Imraul Hasan Kayes, 26, told AFP.

"We are here to guard our revolution so that it doesn't slip out of our hands."

With no police in sight, hundreds of men – most of them not students – formed a human barricade across the street leading to Hasina's old family home, where her father and many of her relatives were gunned down 49 years ago.

The landmark was a museum to her father until it was torched and vandalised by a mob hours after Hasina's fall.

Several people that the crowd suspected of being Awami League supporters were thrashed with sticks, while others were forcibly escorted away.

Hasina, in her first public statement since her abrupt departure, asked supporters this week to "pray for the salvation of all souls by offering floral garlands and praying" outside the landmark.

She was accused while in office of establishing a cult of personality around her father, who appears on every banknote.

Hasina changed the constitution to require a portrait of him appeared in every school, government office and diplomatic mission.

"Her government even made it an offence to criticise him online, punishable with up to 10 years in prison," Tom Kean of the International Crisis Group told AFP.

"While many people still have great respect for Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his achievements... this had curtailed any real debate over his legacy."

Thousands of civil servants were required during her tenure to join public demonstrations on the anniversary of her father's death.

Awami League organisers would also set up temporary public address systems around Dhaka to blare out Mujib's old speeches as well as devotional songs praising his leadership.

The caretaker administration now running Bangladesh cancelled observance of the politically charged holiday on Tuesday, requiring bureaucrats to remain in their offices.

The prevailing sounds in the city of 20 million people on Thursday were the horns and engine hums of its perennially gridlocked traffic.

Hasina's statement on Tuesday came hours after a court in Dhaka opened a murder case against her, two senior Awami League allies and four police officers related to last month's unrest.

Several other top politicians from the party have been detained in unrelated probes, including former law minister Anisul Huq and business adviser Salman Rahman.

Both men were in court on Wednesday under heavy police guard, handcuffed and wearing helmets for their protection.

Hasina's statement also demanded an investigation into violence during the unrest that forced her out of office, with the culprits to be "identified and punished".

More than 450 people were killed during the protests that ousted Hasina, according to police and hospital figures gathered by AFP, with many of those at the hands of police.

The 84-year-old won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006 for his pioneering work in microfinance, credited with helping millions of Bangladeshis out of grinding poverty.

He took office as "chief adviser" to a caretaker administration – all fellow civilians bar a retired brigadier general – and has said he wants to hold elections "within a few months".

Hasina's government was accused of widespread human rights abuses, including the mass detention and extrajudicial killing of thousands of her political opponents.

Yunus said on Thursday that he had spoken with UN human rights chief Volker Turk "to set up an investigation", without giving details.

Enforced disappearance: Lawyer recounts horrors after eight years in darkness​

Blindfolded, handcuffed and bundled out of his secret prison for the first time in eight years, Bangladeshi barrister Ahmad Bin Quasem held his breath and listened for the sound of a cocked pistol.

Instead, he was tossed from a car and into a muddy ditch on Dhaka's outskirts -- alive, at liberty, and with no knowledge of the national upheaval that had prompted his abrupt release.

"That's the first time I got fresh air in eight years," Quasem, 40, told AFP. "I thought they were going to kill me."

Sheikh Hasina, who was in the midst of her 15-year reign as prime minister when Quasem was abducted and forcibly disappeared, had resigned and fled the country hours earlier, on August 5.

But Quasem was in the dark.

He had been confined in the "House of Mirrors" (Aynaghor), a facility run by army intelligence, given its name because its detainees were never supposed to see any other person besides themselves.

Throughout his long incarceration, Quasem was shackled around the clock in windowless solitary confinement.

His jailers were under strict instruction not to relay news from the outside world.

'Screaming'

Elsewhere in the detention centre, guards blared music throughout the day that drowned out the Islamic call to prayer from nearby mosques.

It prevented Quasem, a devout Muslim, from knowing when he should offer his prayers -- and from keeping track of how much time had elapsed since his abduction.

When the music was off, he heard the anguished sounds of other detainees.

"Slowly, slowly, I could realise that I am not alone," he said. "I could hear people crying, I could hear people being tortured, I could hear people screaming."

Human Rights Watch last year said security forces had committed "over 600 enforced disappearances" since Hasina came to power in 2009.

Rumours abounded of a secret black site housing some of that number, but Aynaghar was unknown to the public until the publication abroad of a 2022 whistleblower report.

Hasina's government consistently maintained afterwards that it did not exist.

It also denied committing enforced disappearances, claiming some of those reported missing had drowned in the Mediterranean while trying to reach Europe.

'Days before my father's execution'

Quasem is certain of the reason for his abduction.

His father, Mir Quasem Ali, a senior member of Bangladesh's largest Islamist party Jamaat-e-Islami, was on trial that year.

Ali was accused of running a paramilitary group that tortured pro-independence Bangladeshis during the country's 1971 Liberation War against Pakistan.

He and several others were indicted by a war crimes tribunal.

Quasem, called to the bar in London and then aged 32, was running his father's defence.

His regular media briefings on procedural lapses and judicial bias at the tribunal, echoed by rights groups and UN experts, put a target on his back.

Plainclothes men entered his house one night, snatched him from his family, dragged him down the stairs and threw him in a waiting car.

"I never could believe in my wildest dreams that they would subject me to disappearance just days before my father's execution," Quasem said.

"I kept telling them, 'Do you know who I am? I need to be there to conduct my case. I need to be there with my family.'"

Quasem's father was hanged four weeks later. Quasem did not know until about three more years had passed, when one of his jailers accidentally let it slip.

'It felt like eight lifetimes'

After the car that had carried him out of prison sped away, Quasem walked through the night to try and find his way home.

By sheer coincidence, he came across a medical clinic operated by a charity for which his father had once been a trustee.

He was recognised by a staff member and a phone number was frantically tracked down to contact his family, who came rushing to be with him.

But first, the excited chatter of those around him filled Quasem in on the weeks of student protests that had resulted in his release.

"This entire thing, it was made possible by few teenagers," he said.

"When I see these children, these kids, leading the way, I am really hopeful this will be the opportunity where Bangladesh finds a new direction."

Quasem and his family received AFP warmly into their home, but the trauma of his detention was immediately apparent.

The thick, coiffed hairdo he sported before his detention has receded into a few wild tufts, and he has lost an alarming amount of weight.

His wife Tahmina Akhter said the publicity around Quasem's case left her feeling ostracised by other mothers at their children's school.

The family was reliably hounded every anniversary of his disappearance and warned to stop publicising it.

His two young daughters were three and four years old when he was taken away.

The elder witnessed his abduction and is still scared of certain authority figures, such as the private security guard posted outside her school.

The younger did not remember him at all.

"It didn't feel like eight years for us," Quasem's mother Ayesha Khatoon told AFP.

"It felt like eight lifetimes."

Bangladesh's International Crimes Tribunal has started an investigation against former prime minister Sheikh Hasina and nine others on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity that took place from July 15 to August 5 during the students' mass movement against her government

A complaint was filed on Wednesday with the investigation agency of Bangladesh's International Crimes Tribunal against Ms Hasina, Awami League general secretary and former road transport and bridges minister Obaidul Quader, former home minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal, and several other prominent figures within the party.

The complainant's lawyer Gazi MH Tamim confirmed on Thursday that the tribunal started the probe on Wednesday night.

Ms Hasina, 76, fled to India on August 5 after resigning from her post amidst unprecedented anti-government protests led by students.

The Hasina-led Awami League along with its affiliated organisations is also named in the petition.

The petition was filed by Bulbul Kabir, the father of Arif Ahmed Siam, a Class IX student who was killed during the anti-discrimination student movement.

“The (ICT-BD) investigation agency has started reviewing the charges... The accusation of genocide and crimes against humanity has been recorded as a case,” said the lawyer.

The application accuses Ms Hasina and others of orchestrating a violent crackdown on student protesters, resulting in widespread casualties and human rights violations.

He said the progress of this investigation outcome would be communicated to the tribunal - originally constituted to try the Bengali-speaking hardened collaborators of Pakistani troops during the 1971 Liberation War - within seven days.

He said that in line with the tribunal law, reports published in various media from July 16 to August 6 were submitted as necessary documents.

Separately, a case of enforced disappearance was filed on Wednesday against Ms Hasina and several others, including former ministers of her cabinet, on the charge of kidnapping a lawyer in 2015.

Meanwhile, a Dhaka court on Thursday asked police to submit by September 15 the probe report of the case filed against Ms Hasina and six others over the death of grocery shop owner Abu Saeed in police firing in the capital's Mohammadpur area during the quota protests on July 19.

Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Md Zaki Al Farabi set the date after the case was placed before his court for the next course of action.

The development coincided with the now scrapped National Mourning Day holiday marking the August 15, 1975, assassination of Ms Hasina's father and Bangladesh's founder Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

The interim government of Nobel Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus cancelled the holiday after discussions with different political parties.

According to media reports, some parties were in favour of keeping the mourning day holiday while others opposed it.

Unlike the previous years, no sombre wreath offering ceremony was held at Bangabandhu's 32 Dhanmandi private residence, later turned into a memorial museum, which was set ablaze by angry mobs after Ms Hasina resigned and fled to India.

“Nobody approves of it... but somebody's (Ms Hasina's regime) overdoing caused the overreaction,” ex-premier Khaleda Zia's Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader and spokesman Amir Khasru Mahmud Chowdhury earlier told PTI, referring to the attack on the museum.

'She Is Responsible'

Political commentator and New Age newspaper editor Nurul Kabir, known for his stern criticism of the past regime, said Ms Hasina herself was responsible for the defamation of her father.

Mr Kabir added, “Who can deny his contribution to Bangladesh's creation".

“The blame lies with them (Ms Hasina's regime or party),” he said.

Reports and witnesses said film actress Rokeya Prachi and several others tried to go to the museum to stage a sit-in but were dispersed by protesters.

A huge group of stick-wielding people on Thursday positioned themselves in front of the museum to bar anyone from paying tributes in front of Mujibur Rahman's bust at Bangabandhu Bhaban.

"I went to pay my respects in the morning. But I could not place wreaths,” said a 1971 veteran and leader of Krishak Sramik Awami League, a party belonging to the opposition camp. He complained that brickbats were thrown at his car, damaging the vehicle.

The student-led protests demanding reforms in government job quotas evolved into a government-toppling movement in early August.

Over 230 people died in Bangladesh in the incidents of violence that erupted across the country following the fall of the Hasina government on August 5, taking the number of people killed to 560 during the three weeks of violence.

Following Ms Hasina's resignation, a caretaker government led by Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus was formed in the country, promising to address administrative and political reforms and hold those involved in the violence accountable

Source: NDTV

Bangladesh's International Crimes Tribunal has started an investigation against former prime minister Sheikh Hasina and nine others on charges of genocide and crimes against humanity that took place from July 15 to August 5 during the students' mass movement against her government

A complaint was filed on Wednesday with the investigation agency of Bangladesh's International Crimes Tribunal against Ms Hasina, Awami League general secretary and former road transport and bridges minister Obaidul Quader, former home minister Asaduzzaman Khan Kamal, and several other prominent figures within the party.

The complainant's lawyer Gazi MH Tamim confirmed on Thursday that the tribunal started the probe on Wednesday night.

Ms Hasina, 76, fled to India on August 5 after resigning from her post amidst unprecedented anti-government protests led by students.

The Hasina-led Awami League along with its affiliated organisations is also named in the petition.

The petition was filed by Bulbul Kabir, the father of Arif Ahmed Siam, a Class IX student who was killed during the anti-discrimination student movement.

“The (ICT-BD) investigation agency has started reviewing the charges... The accusation of genocide and crimes against humanity has been recorded as a case,” said the lawyer.

The application accuses Ms Hasina and others of orchestrating a violent crackdown on student protesters, resulting in widespread casualties and human rights violations.

He said the progress of this investigation outcome would be communicated to the tribunal - originally constituted to try the Bengali-speaking hardened collaborators of Pakistani troops during the 1971 Liberation War - within seven days.

He said that in line with the tribunal law, reports published in various media from July 16 to August 6 were submitted as necessary documents.

Separately, a case of enforced disappearance was filed on Wednesday against Ms Hasina and several others, including former ministers of her cabinet, on the charge of kidnapping a lawyer in 2015.

Meanwhile, a Dhaka court on Thursday asked police to submit by September 15 the probe report of the case filed against Ms Hasina and six others over the death of grocery shop owner Abu Saeed in police firing in the capital's Mohammadpur area during the quota protests on July 19.

Dhaka Metropolitan Magistrate Md Zaki Al Farabi set the date after the case was placed before his court for the next course of action.

The development coincided with the now scrapped National Mourning Day holiday marking the August 15, 1975, assassination of Ms Hasina's father and Bangladesh's founder Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

The interim government of Nobel Laureate Professor Muhammad Yunus cancelled the holiday after discussions with different political parties.

According to media reports, some parties were in favour of keeping the mourning day holiday while others opposed it.

Unlike the previous years, no sombre wreath offering ceremony was held at Bangabandhu's 32 Dhanmandi private residence, later turned into a memorial museum, which was set ablaze by angry mobs after Ms Hasina resigned and fled to India.

“Nobody approves of it... but somebody's (Ms Hasina's regime) overdoing caused the overreaction,” ex-premier Khaleda Zia's Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) leader and spokesman Amir Khasru Mahmud Chowdhury earlier told PTI, referring to the attack on the museum.

'She Is Responsible'

Political commentator and New Age newspaper editor Nurul Kabir, known for his stern criticism of the past regime, said Ms Hasina herself was responsible for the defamation of her father.

Mr Kabir added, “Who can deny his contribution to Bangladesh's creation".

“The blame lies with them (Ms Hasina's regime or party),” he said.

Reports and witnesses said film actress Rokeya Prachi and several others tried to go to the museum to stage a sit-in but were dispersed by protesters.

A huge group of stick-wielding people on Thursday positioned themselves in front of the museum to bar anyone from paying tributes in front of Mujibur Rahman's bust at Bangabandhu Bhaban.

"I went to pay my respects in the morning. But I could not place wreaths,” said a 1971 veteran and leader of Krishak Sramik Awami League, a party belonging to the opposition camp. He complained that brickbats were thrown at his car, damaging the vehicle.

The student-led protests demanding reforms in government job quotas evolved into a government-toppling movement in early August.

Over 230 people died in Bangladesh in the incidents of violence that erupted across the country following the fall of the Hasina government on August 5, taking the number of people killed to 560 during the three weeks of violence.

Following Ms Hasina's resignation, a caretaker government led by Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus was formed in the country, promising to address administrative and political reforms and hold those involved in the violence accountable

Source: NDTV

Alhamdulillah.

More good news. Last 10 days have been full of good news (starting from Hasina's resignation).

Bangladeshi common people are finally going for the offense after being on the backfoot for almost a decade.

Bangladesh unrest: Dhaka could ask New Delhi for Sheikh Hasina’s extradition, says report

Bangladesh could ask India to extradite former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina who resigned from her prime ministerial position and fled the country in the aftermath of the countrywide students protest.

The country's de-facto foreign minister Mohammad Touhid Hossain said that Dhaka is to decide whether to ask New Delhi to extradite Hasina, according to a report in news agency Reuters. Hasina is “facing so many cases”, he said. If the country's home and law ministries decide, "we have to ask for her...return to Bangladesh", he said.

Sheikh Hasina fled to India on August 5 following a violent uprising that resulted in nearly 300 deaths, including many students. She has already been named in two murder cases along with senior members of her cabinet. Ataur Rahman, deputy director of the investigation cell of the International Crimes Tribunal, stated that a third case has been launched against ten people, including Hasina, for murder, torture, and genocide during the protests.

At least three of Hasina's former ministers and advisers have been arrested in Bangladesh. In her only statement since her ouster, Hasina has called for a probe into the killings and vandalism during the protests. She has not commented on the charges against her.

Hossain, a retired diplomat, is the adviser on foreign affairs in the interim government led by Nobel laureate Mohammed Yunus, which was sworn in last week after Hasina's ouster. The council of advisers includes other retired officials, lawyers, student leaders of the protests, and some opposition politicians.

Meanwhile, the new caretaker government in Bangladesh has prioritised improving law and order, according to the advisor to the interior ministry. An interim government led by Nobel Peace laureate Muhammad Yunus was sworn in after Hasina fled, aiming to hold elections.

Hasina's resignation led to both celebrations and violence, with her residence in Dhaka being ransacked and statues of her father, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, defaced. Reports of vandalism and attacks on minorities have emerged. Hindus, who make up about 8 per cent of Bangladesh's population, have historically supported Hasina's Awami League party. The Bangladesh Hindu Buddhist Christian Unity Council has urged Yunus to protect minorities, citing attacks on Hindu homes, businesses, and temples.

SOURCE: https://www.businesstoday.in/india/...nas-extradition-says-report-441714-2024-08-16

This barrister was abducted by Hasina's party in 2016. He was locked up for 8 years inside a torture jail called "Ayna Ghor".

He got released after Hasina's regime was overthrown. Alhamdulillah

Korea looks forward to working with Bangladesh interim government

The Korean government hopes that the inauguration of Bangladesh’s interim government will lead to the swift restoration of peace and order in Bangladesh.

It also looks forward to working with the interim government to move Korea-Bangladesh relations forward.

The spokesperson of the Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs made the comment in a statement.

The interim government was formed on August 8 following the mass uprising that forced Sheikh Hasina to resign as the prime minister on August 5.

SOURCE: https://www.dhakatribune.com/bangla...orea-looks-forward-to-working-with-bangladesh

Bangladesh Revokes Diplomatic Passport Of Ex-PM Hasina

Bangladesh's interim government revoked the diplomatic passport of ousted premier Sheikh Hasina on Thursday, after she fled a student-led uprising by helicopter to India earlier this month.

The move to cancel Hasina's documents leaves the former autocratic leader in potential limbo, and comes on the same day that a United Nations team arrived in Dhaka to assess whether to investigate alleged human rights violations.

More than 450 people were killed -- many by police fire -- during the weeks leading up to Hasina's ouster, as crowds stormed her official residence in Dhaka and ended her iron-fisted 15-year rule.

The interior ministry said in a statement that Hasina's passport and those belonging to former government ministers and ex-lawmakers no longer in their posts "have to be revoked".

It also poses a diplomatic dilemma for Hasina's current host, regional powerhouse India.

PM Shehbaz offers assistance to Bangladesh amid foods

In a letter to Bangladesh’s Chief Adviser Dr. Mohammad Yunus, PM Shehbaz Sharif stated that Pakistan stands with Bangladesh and its people during this difficult time.

The prime minister expressed hope that Bangladesh will soon overcome the challenging situation.

PM Shehbaz expressed Pakistan’s willingness to provide all possible assistance to Bangladesh during this difficult time.

The prime minister also praised the resilience and courage of the Bangladeshi people in the face of adversity.

According to the Bangladesh’s Ministry of Disaster Management and Relief, floods in eastern part of the country caused by torrential rainfall have left at least 13 people dead and 4.5 million people displaced.

Large areas of Bangladesh’s low-lying areas have been inundated by floods brought on by heavy rainfall, and rescuers are rushing to evacuate affected residents. Nearly 190,000 people were brought to emergency relief shelters, according to the ministry, which also reported on Friday that the floods has hit 11 of the 64 districts in the nation.

The worst-hit area was Feni, which is located roughly 60 miles (100 km) northwest of Chittagong, the main port. With hundreds of rivers crisscrossing the 170 million-person South Asian nation, floods have been a common occurrence in recent years.

According to the Global Climate Risk Index, Bangladesh is one of the countries that are most vulnerable to natural disasters and the effects of climate change.

Bangladesh’s interim government lifts ban on Jamaat-e-Islami party​

Bangladesh’s interim government, led by Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus, has lifted a ban on the Jamaat-e-Islami party that was imposed under an antiterrorism law.

The Ministry of Home Affairs on Wednesday revoked the ban on the country’s largest Muslim party, put in place in the last days of former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s administration accusing its members of fomenting unrest during the student uprising that led to her resignation.

A gazette notification issued by the caretaker government said there was “no specific evidence of involvement of Jamaat” and its affiliates “in terrorist activities”.

The party had denied allegations that it stoked violence during the protests, which saw students take a stand against a quota system for government jobs, condemning the ban as “illegal, extrajudicial and unconstitutional”.

Jamaat-e-Islami, which has millions of supporters, was banned in 2013 from contesting elections after high court judges ruled its charter violated the secular constitution of the Muslim-majority nation of 170 million people.

The party was subsequently excluded from successive elections in 2014, 2018 and in January this year, when 76-year-old Hasina won her fifth term in widely discredited polls without a credible opposition.

Hasina’s government banned the party on August 1, just four days before she was removed from power after weeks of student-led protests, fleeing to India by helicopter.

Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, secretary-general of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, had accused Hasina’s government of trying to divert attention from a crackdown by security forces in which more than 600 people were killed, according to United Nations estimates.

Shishir Monir, a lawyer for Jamaat-e-Islami, said the party will file a petition early next week at the Supreme Court to seek restoration of its registration with the Bangladesh Election Commission, so it can go on to contest elections.

Jamaat-e-Islami was founded during British colonial rule in 1941, campaigning against the creation of Bangladesh as an independent state during the war of independence from Pakistan in 1971.

Most of the party’s senior leaders have been hanged or jailed since 2013, convicted of crimes against humanity, including killings, abductions and rapes, committed in 1971.

Bangladesh won independence on December 16, 1971, with the help of neighbouring India.

Bangladesh have asked for Hasina to be extradited back to Bangladesh to face charges .

Why is modi hiding her ? Lol

Bangladesh’s interim government lifts ban on Jamaat-e-Islami party​

Bangladesh’s interim government, led by Nobel laureate Muhammad Yunus, has lifted a ban on the Jamaat-e-Islami party that was imposed under an antiterrorism law.

The Ministry of Home Affairs on Wednesday revoked the ban on the country’s largest Muslim party, put in place in the last days of former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s administration accusing its members of fomenting unrest during the student uprising that led to her resignation.

A gazette notification issued by the caretaker government said there was “no specific evidence of involvement of Jamaat” and its affiliates “in terrorist activities”.

The party had denied allegations that it stoked violence during the protests, which saw students take a stand against a quota system for government jobs, condemning the ban as “illegal, extrajudicial and unconstitutional”.

Jamaat-e-Islami, which has millions of supporters, was banned in 2013 from contesting elections after high court judges ruled its charter violated the secular constitution of the Muslim-majority nation of 170 million people.

The party was subsequently excluded from successive elections in 2014, 2018 and in January this year, when 76-year-old Hasina won her fifth term in widely discredited polls without a credible opposition.

Hasina’s government banned the party on August 1, just four days before she was removed from power after weeks of student-led protests, fleeing to India by helicopter.

Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, secretary-general of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party, had accused Hasina’s government of trying to divert attention from a crackdown by security forces in which more than 600 people were killed, according to United Nations estimates.

Shishir Monir, a lawyer for Jamaat-e-Islami, said the party will file a petition early next week at the Supreme Court to seek restoration of its registration with the Bangladesh Election Commission, so it can go on to contest elections.

Jamaat-e-Islami was founded during British colonial rule in 1941, campaigning against the creation of Bangladesh as an independent state during the war of independence from Pakistan in 1971.

Most of the party’s senior leaders have been hanged or jailed since 2013, convicted of crimes against humanity, including killings, abductions and rapes, committed in 1971.

Bangladesh won independence on December 16, 1971, with the help of neighbouring India.

How quickly they forget this bolded part...tsk tsk

@sweep_shot

Bangladesh have asked for Hasina to be extradited back to Bangladesh to face charges .

Why is modi hiding her ? Lol

Hasina is Bangladesh's Adolf Hitler who has murdered thousands of oppositions/innocent people just to stay in power. She was obviously backed by India who was a nice little puppet for them.

On top of that, she and her party looted billions of Dollars from Bangladeshi common people.

As far as I am concerned, she deserves to be hanged in public. Execution by military firing squad also may not be a bad idea.

Hasina is Bangladesh's Adolf Hitler who has murdered thousands of oppositions/innocent people just to stay in power. She was obviously backed by India who was a nice little puppet for them.

On top of that, she and her party looted billions of Dollars from Bangladeshi common people.

As far as I am concerned, she deserves to be hanged in public. Execution by military firing squad also may not be a bad idea.

The old bat ran flew off like Arshads javelin.

either India thinks she may make a return or she is loved by modi , otherwise makes no sense to hide her in India . These jokers claim Hindus are being harmed but instead of allowing them in , they are protecting her .

Hanged or not , she won’t be around for much longer .

either India thinks she may make a return or she is loved by modi , otherwise makes no sense to hide her in India . These jokers claim Hindus are being harmed but instead of allowing them in , they are protecting her .

She is 76. May die soon.

Anyway, her party is finished. I don't think Awami League will rule Bangladesh again just like Nazis can't rule Germany anymore.

All of their dirty secrets are coming out. Their leaders are getting arrested left, right, and center.

India should return her to Bangladesh so that she can answer for her crimes.

She is 76. May die soon.

Anyway, her party is finished. I don't think Awami League will rule Bangladesh again just like Nazis can't rule Germany anymore.

All of their dirty secrets are coming out. Their leaders are getting arrested left, right, and center.

Has her family ran with her ? Any still in Bangladesh?

Awami were corrupted killers & puppets of idolators. Will we see any of them on trail ?

Has her family ran with her ? Any still in Bangladesh?

Awami were corrupted killers & puppets of idolators. Will we see any of them on trail ?

They are all out of Bangladesh now.

Hasina and her son are likely to be arrested if they return.

In Southeast Asian politics, it's wise to embrace the adage "never say never." For them, offering Hasina food and lodging is a minimal cost that could pay off if she makes a political comeback or if her extradition becomes a valuable bargaining chip; she remains a strategic asset for future negotiations with Bangladesh. Let's not forget six years ago when Imran Khan was sworn in as Prime Minister in August 2018, while Nawaz Sharif fled to the UK, seemingly sealing his political fate. Today, Khan is rotting in a Adiala cell, while Nawaz wields significant influence—an illustration of the unpredictable nature of politics in this region.

In Southeast Asian politics, it's wise to embrace the adage "never say never." For them, offering Hasina food and lodging is a minimal cost that could pay off if she makes a political comeback or if her extradition becomes a valuable bargaining chip; she remains a strategic asset for future negotiations with Bangladesh. Let's not forget six years ago when Imran Khan was sworn in as Prime Minister in August 2018, while Nawaz Sharif fled to the UK, seemingly sealing his political fate. Today, Khan is rotting in a Adiala cell, while Nawaz wields significant influence—an illustration of the unpredictable nature of politics in this region.
BD still has some sense of democracy, Hasina is never coming back.

Pakistan is an isolated case where everything is dependent upon the Establishment, and they are not going anywhere.
Imran Nawaz Zardari heck even Afridi might come in tomorrow if they want, people of Pakistan don’t have power.

Bangladesh leader’s ‘megaphone diplomacy’ irks India

The relationship between neighbours India and Bangladesh continues to remain frosty more than a month after former prime minister Sheikh Hasina was ousted from power. While Hasina’s stay in India remains an irritant, a recent interview by Bangladesh’s interim leader Muhammad Yunus also took India by surprise. The BBC’s Anbarasan Ethirajan examines where ties stand now.

Sheikh Hasina was seen as pro-India and the two countries enjoyed close strategic and economic ties during her 15-year rule. Her time in power was also beneficial for India’s security, as she cracked down on some anti-India insurgent groups operating from her country and settled some border disputes.

But her presence in India, with no clarity on how long she will stay, complicates the two countries’ efforts to maintain a strong relationship.

That was made clearer last week when, in an interview with news agency Press Trust of India, Yunus urged India to stop Hasina from making any political statements while staying in Delhi.

“If India wants to keep her until the time Bangladesh wants her back, the condition would be that she has to keep quiet,” said Yunus, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate who is currently leading an interim administration after Hasina’s exit.

Yunus may have been referring to a statement released days after Hasina’s arrival which had stoked anger in Bangladesh. She has not issued any public communication since then.

There have been calls within Bangladesh to bring Hasina back to stand trial for killings of people during the anti-government protests in July and August.

Yunus also said in the interview that both countries need to work together to improve their bilateral relationships, which he described as being “at a low”.

India’s foreign ministry has not formally reacted yet to the remarks, but officials are reportedly “upset”.

“India is waiting and watching developments in Bangladesh, taking note of statements emanating from Dhaka representing both official views and views expressed by prominent individuals,” an Indian official told the BBC on condition of anonymity.

Former Indian diplomats say they are taken aback by what has been described as “megaphone diplomacy” by Yunus - trying to discuss contentious bilateral issues through the media.

“India has indicated its readiness to talk to the interim government, and to discuss all concerns, those of Bangladesh and those of India,” Veena Sikri, a former Indian high commissioner in Dhaka, said.

The retired diplomat says the issues merit quiet discussions and it’s not clear “on what basis [Yunus] has described the bilateral relationship as low”.

But Bangladesh’s foreign ministry rejects the criticism.

“Don’t Indian leaders talk to any media? If Dr Yunus is asked about specific issues, he can of course express his views. If you want to criticise, you can criticise about anything,” Touhid Hossain, adviser to the Bangladesh foreign ministry, told the BBC.

Though Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Yunus spoke on the telephone some weeks ago, there have been no ministerial level meetings so far.

There seems to be a broad consensus in India that Hasina can stay until another country agrees to let her in.

However, the newly appointed chief prosecutor of Bangladesh’s International Crimes Tribunal, Mohammad Tajul Islam, has said they are taking steps to extradite her to face charges in connection with the killings during the protests.

“As she has been made the main accused of the massacres in Bangladesh, we will try to legally bring her back to Bangladesh to face trial,” Islam told reporters.

But experts say it’s unlikely that Hasina will be extradited even if Bangladesh makes a formal request.

“She is staying here as a guest of India. If we don’t extend basic courtesy to our long-time friend, then why would anyone take us seriously as a friend in future?” says Riva Ganguly Das, who is also a former Indian high commissioner to Dhaka.

In his interview, Yunus also criticised Delhi for not reaching out to Bangladeshi opposition parties.

“The narrative is that everybody is Islamist, the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) is Islamist, and everyone else is Islamist and will make this country into Afghanistan. And Bangladesh is in safe hands with Sheikh Hasina at the helm only. India is captivated by this narrative,” he said.

But Indian analysts differ.

“I absolutely do not agree with that statement. In Bangladesh, our high commissioners talk to all political parties without ascribing any labels,” says Ms Sikri.

During the previous BNP-led coalition government from 2001 to 2006, the bilateral relationship deteriorated, with Delhi accusing Dhaka of harbouring insurgents from India’s north-east. The BNP denies this.

But many in Bangladesh point out that India should be reaching out to the BNP, which is confident of winning the election whenever it is held.

“No Indian official has met us since 5 August [when Hasina’s government fell]. I don’t know the reason,” says Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir, secretary general of the BNP.

On the contrary, the Chinese ambassador in Dhaka and envoys from European countries have been holding regular meetings with the BNP.

The lack of security in the days after the fall of Hasina has also given rise to attacks on religious minorities by suspected Islamists. India has already expressed concern several times over reports of attacks on Hindus.

In the past few weeks, several Sufi shrines, locally known as mazars, have also been vandalised by Islamist hardliners. Sunni Muslims are the majority in Bangladesh, and radicals consider shrines and tombs of revered figures un-Islamic.

“A group of people came and vandalised my father-in-law’s tomb a few days ago and warned us not to perform any un-Islamic rituals,” said Tamanna Akhtar, wife of the caretaker of the shrine of Ali Khawaja Ali Pagla Pir in Sirajganj district.

The adviser to the Bangladeshi religious affairs ministry, AFM Khalid Hossain, has said that action would be taken against those who target religious sites.

But experts say that if Islamist hardliners re-establish an assertive presence, however small it may be, in Bangladesh, it will set off alarm bells for Delhi.

In the past few weeks, a convicted Islamist militant has been released. Nine suspected radicals escaped during a jail break last month - four of them were arrested later.

Jashimuddin Rahmani, chief of the Ansarullah Bangla Team, which was designated as a terror outfit by Hasina’s government in 2016, walked out of prison last month.

He was sentenced to five years in prison in 2015 in connection with the murder of an atheist blogger. He had been in jail even after his prison term ended because of other pending cases.

“Several militants have been freed in the past month. Some of them are known to India,” former diplomat Ms Das said, terming it a “serious matter”.

BBC

Back