My favourite cover drive of all time

lol u call that great?guess u need to watch more of Michael Vaughan,Laxman,Mark Waugh

That wasn't the greatest of Cover Drives, imo. His feet were still on the move as he played the shot.

Now you see Michael Vaughan or Moyo... that's just magestic.

No thread of cover drives will be complete with out this man being mentioned "Saeed The Greatest Anwar" ... the beauty in his cover drives Sachin even doesn't posses .. arguably the best cover driver the world has ever seen!

We miss you Saeed! you were the classiest of all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-td5MNQqEU

^ Agree.

Him and Vaughan are the first names that pops into mind.

lol u call that great?guess u need to watch more of Michael Vaughan,Laxman,Mark Waugh

I didn't call it great, I said it was my favorite cover drive of all time. I just love his follow through.

I have seen a lot of Vaughan, Laxman and Waugh, my friend.

The interesting thing about this shot is that Imran Khan talks about it in his autobiography.He says that the broadcasters kept repeating it again and again to show Zaheer's follow through.

This is the stuff of dreams.

[utube]a7d-If78gjI[/utube]

That's a regal cover drive. Personally I like the Zaheer one a little more coz it's not off a half volley. Plus does anything beat Iftikhar's commentary in the background? :)

I didn't call it great, I said it was my favorite cover drive of all time. I just love his follow through.

I have seen a lot of Vaughan, Laxman and Waugh, my friend.

The interesting thing about this shot is that Imran Khan talks about it in his autobiography.He says that the broadcasters kept repeating it again and again to show Zaheer's follow through.

Zaheer Abbad was known for his cover drives and I had witnessed one of his innings in the stadium. Fielders had no clue where the ball was and with lightning speed the ball would cross the boundary line and hit the fence ..... Every one in his era would talk about his cover drives and even great Viv Richard had mentioned it as well

Zaheer was all class, as were the cover drives of two other pakistani batting artists Mohd Yousuf and Saeed Anwar

The likes of Vaughan and MoYo have the elegance.

But personaly this has to be my fav! Just the speed off the bat!

Came at 140 kph and left the bat a hell of a lot faster!

[utube]5G9tDU7BsDU[/utube]

Last edited:
To be honest, that was not that great. Sanga and Vaughan have better cover drives.

Shane Watson would have to be in the top 5 current players of the cover drive.

Some of top class cover drive I have seen from Atapattu, Ganguli, Rakibul, Laxman, Ponting, Mark Waugh.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XHz20jWtvPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Best cover drives

Since being new to this forum, please forgive my ignorance. I just want to confirm one thing in here since I respect your's knowledge a lot in this field. In cricket I enjoy the batting of technically sound guys. In the era of Azharuddin, I used enjoy his stylish batting. The best cover drive I have seen is his first shot against Damien Fleming of Australia in a WC match. Now in this time, I think the finest cover drives owe to Rohit Sharma of India. As a batsman, he is nowhere near perfect, but his cover drives are awesome. I only watch him batting to get a glimpse of those extraordinary shots. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Rahul Dravid had a classical cover drive too. Sachin played all the shots copy book. He was a genius. I used to love his Straight drive to fast bowlers than any other shot he played.

Guys,

I've been in love with Zaheer Abbas's batting ever since I saw this cover drive. It takes the breath away. Lemme know if you guys agree.

http://youtu.be/fkKxzWkFKVA?t=5m40s

Shouldn't comment on the quality of cover drive as there are so many great, indeed he was one of the best ever. What stands out for me is that back-lift - he used to bat at 3 for Pakistan, now Azhar Ali does; and we bash peole who thinks PAK cricket is going down to Hockey line.

Lara played cover drive more effectively and gracefully than anyone other

Last edited:
The one in recent times I loved was Haris Sohail vs Indai in the World Cup,

You know those occaisions where for you feel for a second the possibilities become endless!! That is what I experienced after that shot
We were desperate to win the game and break the streak.
Yadav bowling at 145ks, Haris just caressed the thing through covers.

What a shot- and hope Haris recovers fully

My personal favourite is Sachin due to obvious nostalgia.

Off late, I have a liking towards Virat's cover drives when he just redirects the ball to covers with no follow through whatsoever. Played a lot of those in his innings at the MCG.

Tendulkar
Inzamam (might not be too elegant but his cover drive had this unique whip of the bottom hand which I really like)
Sanga
Kohli
Hussey

Sachin-Absolute Tracer bullet,Perfect percision,balance,pure cricketing bliss
Brian Lara-That full flow of the bat,Amazing to watch
Mark Waugh-That feet movement and elegant caressing of the ball..beautiful to watch
Stephen Fleming-Elegant
Saeed Anwar-Silky smooth...pure artistry
Sangakkara-Text book perfection
Azharuddin-Magical..the full flow of a very light bat and the wristiness makes it even more awesome.
Yuvraj Singh/Sehwag-Absolutely brutal smack.....ball will take the fielder's hand with it.

I prefer batsmen who play the cover driver with a big forward stride...like Punter/Dravid

While Sachin and Mark Waugh were both great at it, I preferred their flick off the pads over their drives. Mark was tall so didn't have to lean forward as much and Sachin's technique didn't allow him to play with a huge stride...this obviously helped their back foot game but in terms of watching I prefer the big front foot drive over the small stride Waugh and Sachin played with.

For me over all Sanga had the greatest cover drives ever.

However umar akmals bullet drive was something else

On topic, definitely MoYo for me. Role model growing up.

His drives were the epitome of perfection. :raja

Moyo's cover drive was glorious to watch

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hayden is my favourite of all time.

Hayden was more famous for his lofted off drives. Calling them "lofted" is a bit of an exaggeration. It is one of the most brutal signature shots in the game by any batsman in my opinion just like Jayasurias square cut.

The first two people that came to my mind when I saw this thread were Vaughan and Anwar.

Elegance personified. There was not a better sight in cricket.

The one in recent times I loved was Haris Sohail vs Indai in the World Cup,

You know those occaisions where for you feel for a second the possibilities become endless!! That is what I experienced after that shot
We were desperate to win the game and break the streak.
Yadav bowling at 145ks, Haris just caressed the thing through covers.

What a shot- and hope Haris recovers fully
I thought people forgot about that :') undoubtedly the most beautiful shot a Pakistani had played in the last 5 years.

Who exactly is moyo? I'm very new to the forum so I'm lacking the a Revatio abbreviations

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought people forgot about that :') undoubtedly the most beautiful shot a Pakistani had played in the last 5 years.

Who exactly is moyo? I'm very new to the forum so I'm lacking the a Revatio abbreviations

MoYo is Mohammad Yousuf.

Okay now it seems very obvious thanks for the help

Welcome bro. Me and [MENTION=138254]Syed1[/MENTION] have drooled over that shot on another thread in PP.
Hope haris still has it

That whole innings was a work of art. Have replayed it countless times.

Judging by the YouTube comments under it, we’re not alone, beyond Pakistanis too.

Has there been a more stylish heavyweight test batsman, Say since 2000? (That’s where my reference begins)

No classy player has come out of Pakistan after Mohammad Yousuf and Umar Amin.

No classy player has come out of Pakistan after Mohammad Yousuf and Umar Amin.

Yeah see what you mean about Amin, Yousuf though was classy and proved to be the real deal.

I remember 2010 his debut, easy on the eye stroke maker - we maybe could’ve persisted with Amin, especially as we saw how Shafiq amassed runs in UAE - hard to know whether he would’ve scored at a better average though.

You think Babar isn't classy?

Babar is classy I’d say, didn’t really see enough of Amin to make a solid call.

But Yousuf is different touch level to Babar even if Babar becomes the greater batsman by careers end. Think it was how late he played the ball, could stop it dead under his eyes when defending.

Vaughan's is still my favorite but Martyn's against SL was memorable too.

Just pure timing.

M Yousuf’s drives were like watching poetry flowing through the wood.

Cover drive in the OP stands apart from almost all videos in the thread is because they are all halwa half volleys on the front foot, but notice, the ball is viciously out swinging in the OP, it’s away from the body and on the up. Many batsmen will actually send a practicing catch towards the third slip if they even dared to play a front foot drive on such a ball.

Back