Nearly half of Indians don't have lavatories

in_cutter

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Post of the Week
From BBC:

Nearly half of India's 1.2bn people do not have toilets at home, but more people own a mobile phone, according to the latest census data.

Only 46.9% of the 246.6 million households have lavatories while 49.8% defecate in the open. The remaining 3.2% use public toilets.

Census 2011 data on houses, household amenities and assets reveals that 63.2% homes have a telephone.

Analysts say the data shows the complex contradictions of the Indian system.

They say it reveals a country where millions have access to cutting-edge technology and consumer goods but a larger number of poor who lack access to even basic facilities.

About 77% of homes in the eastern state of Jharkhand have no toilet facilities, while the figures are 76.6% for Orissa and 75.8% in Bihar. All three are among India's most backward states with huge populations which live on less than a dollar.

"Open defecation continues to be a big concern for the country as almost half of the population do it," Registrar General and Census Commissioner C Chandramouli said on Tuesday while releasing the latest data.

"Cultural and traditional reasons and a lack of education are the prime reasons for this unhygienic practice. We have to do a lot in these fronts," he said.

The data also reveals that Indian now largely live in nuclear families with 70% of homes consisting only one couple - a dramatic change in a country where joint families were always the norm.

The census figures also show the change in how people get information and entertainment.

More than half the population - 53.2% - have a mobile phone.

There has been a 16% rise in the number of homes with television sets, while the use of radios has declined by 15%.

The data shows that 47.2% households have television while only 19.9% have a radio.

And the reach of computers with internet facility is still miniscule with only 3.1% of the population connected.

How is that possible in this day & age...especially as India is a 'booming economy'?

From BBC:

How is that possible in this day & age...especially as India is a 'booming economy'?

Not all the parts of india are booming and it seems few states likes todo it openly. :D

Other priorities such as a space programme.

If i go by your logic we both shld not have any nukes which is of no use for the common people. ( space program is definitely useful )

I've seen this contradiction of priorities in real life. The main reason is simple: People, regardless of how poor they are, find a practical use for a mobile phone which helps them in their farming or other professions. They regard it as a necessary tool to increase their productivity and wages.

Toilets however, are lower down in the priority list for them, especially in rural areas. Why do it at home and then clean it, when you can go defecate outside in the open :kapil

Last edited:
mobile phones are cheaper than en suites hence more people have mobiles than do loos. if more people had cars than toilets, then that would really be a surprising stat.

mobile phones are cheaper than en suites hence more people have mobiles than do loos.
Partly true, but building a toilet in a village isn't that expensive and is a one-time investment, as opposed to mobile phones.

does eveyrone in pakistan urinate and defactate in a ceramic royal doulton pot

Toilets however, are lower down in the priority list for them, especially in rural areas. Why do it at home and then clean it, when you can go defecate outside in the open :kapil

Makes sense. :yk

^ yes , Farmers invite people to their fields during off season. Pay for their Samosas and Pakoras too.

We may say so that it is ok....but fact remains a lot needs to be done to give basic sanitation to people. Citizens should have access to clean water and sanitation facilities. Hope some party makes this as part of the agenda for coming national elections...

We may say so that it is ok....but fact remains a lot needs to be done to give basic sanitation to people. Citizens should have access to clean water and sanitation facilities. Hope some party makes this as part of the agenda for coming national elections...

Problem is not that simple.
There are reports that people loo outside even if they have got toilets. :D

Toilets used as storage units
TNN Aug 12, 2010, 11.07pm IST

HAVERI: Public toilets built under the scheme 'complete clean awareness drive' ( Sampoorna Swachata Andolana Scheme) with an aim to maintain hygiene and a clean environment are not being used and instead have turned into sheds to store firewood, fodder etc.

This is the situation in the tiny village of Badamalli Tanda (Byadagi taluk) belonging to Hirehalli gram panchayat. The scheme has been fully implemented by using funds from the state and union governments in 10 panchayats including Hirehalli in Haveri district. Almost every house has a toilet here. But till date, the toilets have not been used for the very purpose it was built. People still prefer to attend to nature's call in the open fields as is their practice.

The villages that I have seen, people go to loo in fields even if they have toilets at home.

People cannot resist the gifts of nature early in the morning.

Honestly, most of rural India do not have access to toilets... They prefer going in the fields to an enclosure.

In cities, the immigants from small villages continue that tradition...

Unfair article. These public toilets look fine to me. :yk

Funny-Indian-Toilet.jpg

I find it wierd and messed up when Pakistanis poke fun at others on such matters considering our conditions are not any better.

just because dont have 1 billion people we wont make an article but the problem is still there as a percentage of population

I find it wierd and messed up when Pakistanis poke fun at others on such matters considering our conditions are not any better.

just because dont have 1 billion people we wont make an article but the problem is still there as a percentage of population

Pakistan dont claim to be next super power unlike neighboring 3rd world countries...

@DesiMunda - If you want to get serious, lets.

Do you ever wonder such news makes it into the BBC? Western media doesn’t give a crap on how people live in Pakistan because Pakistan doesn’t dream of becoming a Global superpower in terms of economics or politics. This is why India is persistently under scrutiny due to exposure. The essence of the OP (and the media) is very clear, how can a nation dream of becoming an economic superpower when its own people do not have basic hygiene facilities yet have mobile phones?

Money should be spent on education, welfare, infrastructure, instead of mobiles phones. In other words, the West believes India cannot be an economic superpower if its priorities aren’t lined up with basic human rights.

^^ So what are you trying to say ?

This article will roll back India's image in the world (whatever it is now) ?

This is a problem in India and there are lots of effort being made, money being spent to make things better.

That doesn't mean that Indian state will stop everything else and just start making toilets till every person has one or more.

Every country will have its share of good things and not so good things. We will have to live with it till the not good things are not handled.

^^ So what are you trying to say ?

This article will roll back India's image in the world (whatever it is now) ?

This is a problem in India and there are lots of effort being made, money being spent to make things better.

That doesn't mean that Indian state will stop everything else and just start making toilets till every person has one or more.

Every country will have its share of good things and not so good things. We will have to live with it till the not good things are not handled.

What I am saying is when you're in the spotlight, prepare for critisim.

Yes, every country will have its share of positives and negative, but not every country dreams of becoming a superpower.

What I am saying is when you're in the spotlight, prepare for critisim.

Yes, every country will have its share of positives and negative, but not every country dreams of becoming a superpower.
I am not sure if you have a govt version of Indian dream to be superpower ? Rather most of the ministers or public figures have clarified that India is not a superpower nor it wants to be. For E.g Listen to Shashi Tharoor, Mani Shankar etc etc

Secondly, if one has a problem doesn't mean he shouldn't have a dream.

Last edited:
I am not sure if you have a govt version of Indian dream to be superpower ? Rather most of the ministers or public figures have clarified that India is not a superpower nor it wants to be. For E.g Listen to Shashi Tharoor, Mani Shankar etc etc

Secondly, if one has a problem doesn't mean he shouldn't have a dream.

By superpower I mean economical powerhouse. (As mentioned above).

Please don’t pretend this is not the case.

We have a ton of Issues in India mainly due to over populatiion....

If the population of India was only 50 crores, India would have been a much better country with everyone having basic facilities...

How can you have 1 billion toilets for 1 billion population?? Its impossible and that to for a poor country like India where population is putting so much stress on resources...

Until people stop having tons of babies, this population will continue to grow... No amount of toilets is going to fix this crappy situation :asif

Just look at the pictures below... Who is to blame for these people not having toilet facilities? Who is responsible? Blame their parents, Govt???

I have said this before, its too late for India now to fix the population mess.. You cannot educate all these crores of poor people and telling them not to have tons of babies... Forceful Family Planning is the only way to go... By the tiem you educate these people about the virtues of having small families, India would add another 15 crore people to its population :facepalm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you ever wonder such news makes it into the BBC? Western media doesn’t give a crap on how people live in Pakistan because Pakistan doesn’t dream of becoming a Global superpower in terms of economics or politics. This is why India is persistently under scrutiny due to exposure. The essence of the OP (and the media) is very clear, how can a nation dream of becoming an economic superpower when its own people do not have basic hygiene facilities yet have mobile phones?
I think those two things are orthogonal to each other.
1) India economically is growing, and will continue to grow, most likely to number 3 position by 2020.
2) India has a huge population of poor.

The above 2 positions cause cognitive dissonance for not just foreigners, but for Indians as well. How can a country be so rich, and at the same time so poor ?

The thing is that the scale of the 2nd problem is huge, and unfortunately it cannot be solved until India continues to grow. You cannot just give people money and hope things improve. Systems have to be developed where people are gainfully and happily employed.

The government moves slowly as it's hard to justify economic growth given the huge population of poor. But the country needs money in order to spend on infrastructure, education and welfare. And money is being spent on these right now. Infrastructure is being taken care of by private-public-partnerships mostly. Education has always been a top priority in India, but it needs more investment. Regarding welfare schemes, do you know that the government's schemes for free food, and employment schemes for poor people cost around 2lakh crore per year ?

So the government needs money in order to invest in it's people. This money needs to come from somewhere right ? It comes from developing its own industries and encouraging foreign investment. It needs to make sure the country is safe, secure, and is moving with the times in order to continue to encourage innovation, industry and investment.

The result is that these days you see 2 Indias. The first India includes traditional elites and the increasing urban middle class. Some of the "burger kids" in this class see prosperity, wealth, infrastructure improvements around them and might be deluded into thinking that this is what all of India is about. The second India includes the urban poor and the villagers. More and more of them are being lifted into middle class, but much more needs to be done as the world keeps reminding India. But as I said, money needs to be created in order to be spent, and so it's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, I am hopeful that by 2020 census, you would see a marked improvement IF and only IF the economy keeps improving and the government has the resources to invest in it's people. Not just the poor, but also people who are creating money in the country.

Last edited:
By superpower I mean economical powerhouse. (As mentioned above).

Please don’t pretend this is not the case.
So ??

What do you want to say ?

India should stop the economy growing and just make toilets?

I am not able to understand what exactly you want India to do ?

So ??

What do you want to say ?

India should stop the economy growing and just make toilets?

I am not able to understand what exactly you want India to do ?

:)))

No, India should gets its priorities right and spend money where it's needed. Not just make toilets. I thought this was obvious!

Come on!

:)))

No, India should gets its priorities right and spend money where it's needed. Not just make toilets. I thought this was obvious!

Come on!
So why do you think India is not making effort there ?

You are talking about mobile phones. So are you saying a person can not buy a mobile phone if he doesn't have a toilet?

Let me understand from you how you define priority in a country of 1.2 b ppl :)

India should gets its priorities right and spend money where it's needed.
That's the government's job right ? The budget is going to be presented day after tomorrow by the Finance Minister. You should tune in to get a good idea of where India is spending it's money. As I said earlier, it's a fine balance between creating new wealth and spending it on welfare :)

So why do you think India is not making effort there ?
You are talking about mobile phones. So are you saying a person can not buy a mobile phone if he doesn't have a toilet?[/B]

Let me understand from you how you define priority in a country of 1.2 b ppl :)

No, I am talking about priorities; the OP is talking about mobile phones.

And how on earth did you get the idea I am suggesting a person cannot buy a mobile phone if he doesn't have a toilet?

I think you are acting sensitive here.

That's the government's job right ? The budget is going to be presented day after tomorrow by the Finance Minister. You should tune in to get a good idea of where India is spending it's money. As I said earlier, it's a fine balance between creating new wealth and spending it on welfare :)

Exactly!

Yes I did read your lengthy post, and yes there is a massive gap between rich/poor which is expanding. With this in mind, I disagree with you when you say India’s 2nd problem with be solved by growth. It’s not growth that’ll fix the issue but the flow of money. Meaning, invest in the poor. India’s wealth is pretty much veneered over the middle class, but below that it’s a different story. The flow of money should work down-top, not top-down.

Last edited:
No, I am talking about priorities; the OP is talking about mobile phones.

And how on earth did you get the idea I am suggesting a person cannot buy a mobile phone if he doesn't have a toilet?

I think you are acting sensitive here.

I gave an example from the discussion as you mentioned that India should know the priority.

Thats why I asked, how did you know that they are not giving priority ?

And what does giving priority means to you ? Does this mean stoping other things?

And what does giving priority means to you ? Does this mean stoping other things?

Yes! If you have to!

To prioritise something means to give something preference.

For example, an alcoholic spends most of his cash on getting drunk while his family starve to death.

What do you think priority means in this case? What should the man do? Stop buying alcohol and feed his family? OR, continue buying drinks and hope for the best?

Honestly, you argue for the sake of it sometimes.

India as a nation has plenty of other priorities before space projects, toilets are just one.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/14/poverty-india-africa-oxford
Their money. They create budget and spend on all things. They are in +ve trend instead of someother who are going down. So their toilets for poor people are being available to more and more every year. Every year a portion of poor is moving to middle class. Slow but steady.

They do not beg other countries for money and create 100s of nuclear bomb. Their leaders didn't ask them to eat grass for bombs.

Yes! If you have to!

To prioritise something means to give something preference.

For example, an alcoholic spends most of his cash on getting drunk while his family starve to death.

What do you think priority means in this case? What should the man do? Stop buying alcohol and feed his family? OR, continue buying drinks and hope for the best?

Honestly, you argue for the sake of it sometimes.
Which thing you will stop as a nation? May be you need to read more about state budget planning.

Which thing you will stop as a nation?

:facepalm:

My point is in reference to the OP and you have jumped on some next level.

Well, just please you, I would stop crime. Happy?

May be you need to read more about state budget planning.

Maybe you need to look up the word 'priority'.

What you are saying is an off shoot to everything that has been said. You are defending the lack of toilets in India and not addressing how a government should prioritise spending – which is what I am referring to!

Last edited:
:facepalm:

My point is in reference to the OP and you have jumped on some next level.

Well, just please you, I would stop crime. Happy?

Maybe you need to look up the word 'priority'.

What you are saying is an off shoot to everything that has been said. You are defending the lack of toilets in India and not addressing how a government should prioritise spending – which is what I am referring to!
I will let you go now then. :)

You can not stop any program fully. You can only cut a % from this and add to your priority item.

Every program is important and gives its share in nation building and directly or indirectly helping poor too.

I have not defended lack of toilets in India. I am defending your point that other growth projects should be stopped till toilets are made for all. I am saying it is parallel activity.

Last edited:
Yes I did read your lengthy post, and yes there is a massive gap between rich/poor which is expanding. With this in mind, I disagree with you when you say India’s 2nd problem with be solved by growth. It’s not growth that’ll fix the issue but the flow of money. Meaning, invest in the poor.
Agreed. We need to invest in the poor. The point of my post was that we also need means to generate money to be invested in the poor.

India’s wealth is pretty much veneered over the middle class, but below that it’s a different story. The flow of money should work down-top, not top-down.
But it is currently working top-down, albeit slowly. Millions are being uplifted from poverty every year as more jobs are being created, and training programs for the poor are being formulated to help them graduate from unskilled (and poor) labourers to skilled (and middle income) labourers.

Could you elaborate how the down-top system would work ? What kind of a system would you advise for Pakistan ?

"Toilet: A Love Story": Bollywood spotlights India's sanitation crisis in new film

NEW DELHI (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Bollywood is bucking the trend of its usual lavish landscaped song-and-dance romantic comedies to take on the more serious issue of open defecation in India with the release of "Toilet: A Love Story", the film's promoters said on Tuesday.

The film, starring one of Hindi cinema's most popular actors Akshay Kumar, is to be released on Aug. 11 and will be the world's first feature film focusing on poor sanitation and toilets, and challenging age-old social beliefs on defecation.

"Toilet: A Love Story draws its premise from Prime Minister Narendra Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan' (or "Clean India Campaign") initiative to improve sanitation across India and the very real problem of open defecation," said a statement from Sterling Media, the film's public relations agency.

"The film is set to make a large impact in India, with the trailer for the film receiving over 25 million viewers in just two days of its release online," the statement added.

Modi has prioritized sanitation since sweeping to power in 2014 and aims to provide toilets for all and end open defecation in the country by 2019.

But the task is mammoth.

Around 76 million Indians need improved water sources and 770 million require proper toilets, according to WaterAid. As a result, 68,000 children under five die annually due to diarrheal diseases caused by unsafe water and poor sanitation.

As well as being a major health, hygiene and environmental concern, open defecation also leaves women and girls at risk of sexual assault.

"Toilet: A Love Story" is a satirical comedy which follows Keshav (played by Akshay Kumar) and Jaya (played by Bhumi Pednekar), whose new marriage is challenged by lack of a toilet.

Their fight for a toilet inside their home - which is considered unclean according to social norms - quickly becomes a struggle for social change as they campaign for functioning toilets for the local community.

The film's promoters said the movie in particular spotlights women's safety, basic dignity and privacy.

"The film is the true story of millions of women in rural India who ... walk a few kilometers away from their homes just to be able to relieve themselves," said the statement.

"At break of dawn or fall of dusk, these women face the risk of rape and/or kidnapping – an inconceivable threat for most of us when routinely going to the toilet," it added.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-bollywood-toilets-idUSKBN19W28C

It's a weird article. Why should there be a correlation between having a telephone as a means of communication and defecating habits? BBC are always going on about the environment and climate change. Defecating naturally especially on pastures is not as bad as it's being made out. As long as there are no sanitary risks, live and let live.

I saw a vdo few months a go where there was a city in India where they would go to the beach to take a dump. They had toilets but they were not enough and in horrible condition.

India may well be booming but their hygiene and sanitation will cause many diseases in the long run.

I saw a vdo few months a go where there was a city in India where they would go to the beach to take a dump. They had toilets but they were not enough and in horrible condition.

India may well be booming but their hygiene and sanitation will cause many diseases in the long run.

This lavatory inside your home is a western construct who have a culture of exploiting nature, while our culture is all about giving something back to the nature everyday.

Back