Nepotism: The architect of Pakistan's demise in cricket?

mominsaigol

Test Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
I saw a post on this forumn showing sami aslam's frustration with nepotism and it got me thinking, Why is their so much nepotism is Pakistan? So much so that babar Azam's playing 11 is being memed and called a friendship 11. Isn't winning a world cup for your country more important? What even is pcb thinking if the pride of your nation is not at stake.

I'll present you some examples of nepotism that have plagued us from 2022 to 2023 alone.

1) Shan Masood being made vice captain and even babar receiving a call from upper management to outright lie about imam's injury just to have Shan play? Everyone quoting shan's list A stats, oh bhai rahnei dei, I've seen the guy play since 2013 😂.

2) Faheem ashraf: Every time inzi is made a selector, Faheem jumps back into the squad.

3) Dhani: Dhani wasn't even in the initial camp, he was atrocious in the emerging Asia cup, how'd he get in?

4) Shadab khan: Babar in his interview outright stated that zaman Khan bowled poorly and is not international level, yet out right defends shadab calling him his best bowler despite being single handedly the worst bowler in the entire tournament, yes even worse the Nepal bowlers lol.

This nepotsitic culture is so evident that its insulting at this point. Why doesn't PCB understand that winning a cup is more important?

Another factor I'd like to add is that some posters criticised me for wanting certain players in the squad and me being biased towards them, That is not what I have said at all.

My point was, selection criteria is simply not fair for some players. If a player is given an extended run and fails, they sure drop them for good I agree. If tayyab was given a run and he failed then sure drop him, but he got dropped for no reason with zero games.

Similarly no matter how many times shadab fails, he isn't dropped, if anything he's supported beyond belief.

My point was that selection criteria isn't fair, not that I am being biased to certain players. I said test the bench strength and if the bench strength fails then choose the optimal options, we saw how badly babar's obsession with winning 11 had backfired in us getting butchered and our pacers getting injured.

Definitely agree with OP and it goes further

Rizwan: Stole the spot of our GOAT keeper batsmen and captain in order to for fill Misbah and Imran's politics. Also hogs the number 4 position so Saud Shakeel can't get break into the team
Iftikhar: Shoved into the team due to his friendship with Misbah, destroying the development of talents such as Danish Aziz and Azam Khan
Mohammad Nawaz: Been pathetic for almost a year, lost us the India match and is still persisted with to keep Imad out of the team.
Imam/Fakhar: In the case of Fakhar it may not really be nepotism but incompetence from the selectors, however it's clear with Imam with both being shoved in there to keep out guys like Shajreel, Saim Ayub and Omair Bin Yusuf
Zaman: Hasnanin is 100 times the bowler he is yet Zaman gets fast tracked due to his connections with LQ

The only thing I disagree with OP is on Shan Masood. A list A average of 53 clearly demonstrates great caliber and if given a lengthy rope, Shan will prove to be not just an asset but a day to day match winner

Rizwan: Stole the spot of our GOAT keeper batsmen and captain in order to for fill Misbah and Imran's politics. Also hogs the number 4 position so Saud Shakeel can't get break into the team
Iftikhar: Shoved into the team due to his friendship with Misbah, destroying the development of talents such as Danish Aziz and Azam Khan
Mohammad Nawaz: Been pathetic for almost a year, lost us the India match and is still persisted with to keep Imad out of the team.
Imam/Fakhar: In the case of Fakhar it may not really be nepotism but incompetence from the selectors, however it's clear with Imam with both being shoved in there to keep out guys like Shajreel, Saim Ayub and Omair Bin Yusuf
Zaman: Hasnanin is 100 times the bowler he is yet Zaman gets fast tracked due to his connections with LQ

The only thing I disagree with OP is on Shan Masood. A list A average of 53 clearly demonstrates great caliber and if given a lengthy rope, Shan will prove to be not just an asset but a day to day match winner
Fair enough, Good points made, I only disagree with 2 points.

1) The shan masood point isn't about whether he is a good player or not, if you think he's a match winner then that's fair, my point was his selection is such that management forces babar's hand to play him, its the same with rizwan, whether you think he is a good player or not is irrelevant, if rizwan wants to bat at 4, then everyone bows to his majesty. The selection criteria needs to be fair, if they want Shan in, then they shpuld simply play his on merit, not make him vice captain and force everyone to select him.

2) As for fakhar, Fakhar isn't a part of the friends circle, he isn't in the nepotisitc bubble, Babar literally shoved fakhar from opening so he could hog that spot which destroyed fakhar confidence entirely. In NZ series everyone outright was saying this is it for fakhar, he was in contention for being dropped but he ended up scoring 2 massive centuries which caused him to stay. Finally after a series of failures they removed him but brought him back last minute due to imam and saud suffering minor injuries.

Fakhar isn't in the friendship bubble he is disposable. The other players you mentioned however are in that bubble though.

Fair enough, Good points made, I only disagree with 2 points.

1) The shan masood point isn't about whether he is a good player or not, if you think he's a match winner then that's fair, my point was his selection is such that management forces babar's hand to play him, its the same with rizwan, whether you think he is a good player or not is irrelevant, if rizwan wants to bat at 4, then everyone bows to his majesty. The selection criteria needs to be fair, if they want Shan in, then they shpuld simply play his on merit, not make him vice captain and force everyone to select him.

2) As for fakhar, Fakhar isn't a part of the friends circle, he isn't in the nepotisitc bubble, Babar literally shoved fakhar from opening so he could hog that spot which destroyed fakhar confidence entirely. In NZ series everyone outright was saying this is it for fakhar, he was in contention for being dropped but he ended up scoring 2 massive centuries which caused him to stay. Finally after a series of failures they removed him but brought him back last minute due to imam and saud suffering minor injuries.

Fakhar isn't in the friendship bubble he is disposable. The other players you mentioned however are in that bubble though.
Usually I would agree that if a player is given a leadership role it should be on merit of performance, however it is clear that does not happen in the PCB so having Shan put has VC is not a bad thing. He is probably second to Sarfraz as the best tactician in this country plus his fluency in english is an added bonus. Again if the PCB were a fair institution than I would detest what is being done, however in such a world Shan would have already been VC to Sarfraz so I see it as the PCB doing the right thing

Usually I would agree that if a player is given a leadership role it should be on merit of performance, however it is clear that does not happen in the PCB so having Shan put has VC is not a bad thing. He is probably second to Sarfraz as the best tactician in this country plus his fluency in english is an added bonus. Again if the PCB were a fair institution than I would detest what is being done, however in such a world Shan would have already been VC to Sarfraz so I see it as the PCB doing the right thing
Here's the issue with this.

No 1, Shan is our test no 3 regular and he doesn't perform. The guy is the worst test top order and the worst opener in odi for Pakistan in recent times. He hasn't performed.

No 2: Secondly you acknowledged that pcb is corrupt, but then you're advocating for them to do the right thing. That's contradictory .

Simply look at India, Dhawan got frustrated that he was kicked out however he acknowledged that he got kicked out rightfully as Gill is simply the superior player.

Sanju Sampson got frustrated but kohli told him he just needs to work harder.

International cricket 15 means you gotta choose your best 15 out of the country, it's plain and simple. Out of 1000+ cricketers in domestic only the top dogs shpuld enter.

India sure defo have some spots that are questionable however mostly people would agree that Gill, Sheryas, Kishan, pandya, Kohli, Kuldeep, Bumrah etc are all their based of merit. Heck they even removed pant from the squad because kishan and Rahul are the better players.

We have it backwards, Faheem,Nawaz and Shadab,Dhani are nowhere up for contention if amir jamal, Arshad iqbal, Ihsanullah, abass Afridi, Imad waseem, Abrar, amir, and even zaman khan(For t20) are sitting in the dug out waiting for selection.

It's clear that shadab and nawaz are in due to being babar's friends, it's why babar is willing to throw zaman Khan under the bus, which he rightfully shpuld due to zaman's poor performance but he proceeds to praise the 2 worst spinners in the tournament as the top tier Goats. 😂.

Same with faheem, every time inzi is selector, Faheem makes it back somehow.

The nepotism is extremely extremely evident.

Do you think Pakistan will ever do an India where they will outright say to Rizwan, He rizwan look, saud is a simply a better player, maybe you shpuld give up the no 4 slot to him? They'll never ever ever do that.

Rizwan is the worst piece of nepotism I have noticed and witnessed
Isn't that shadab? Rizwan had to wait years before misbah boosted him.

Rizwan is a Part of the friends circle but shadab is literally vc for no reason.

The only institution safe from nepotism is actually the NATIONAL CRICKET TEAM. I do agree that nepotism can prevail in the domestic and club level, but with so much scrutiny of the national side, it just cannot take place

19-20 mai 19 can be selected but that's about it.

The names you mentioned:

Shadab= seriously? So many people believe he is one of the best if not the best all-rounder in the world

Faheem= was the highest wicket taker in one edition of the PSL

Dahani= was also the highest wicket taker in one addition of the PSL

Shan= not a big fan but the kind of List A and county record he has, he is privileged but makes the most of his skills as well

I think NEPOTISM is not the right word to describe the point you are trying to make. A better word would be unfair selection criteria

Nepotism means the person is in a position SOLELY based on family/lineage/friendship

I think every third world country has nepotism. Hard to get rid of it. It has a deep cultural root.

Zaman Khan will also be a nepotistic selection if he is picked for the World Cup squad

You can call it nepotism, the world calls its networking.

In any field you enter, the only way to get a job is by networking. In Cricket we discuss this alot because we see it and we dont like it. BUt the truth is when we need jobs, we are most likely to land a decent job through networking. Anyone trying to argue both are different is just being naive as its the same thing.

Thats how the world works. Merit is just rona dhona.

Today guys like Amir and Imad whine, but the truth is when the people that favored them were sitting in the admin, they also got into the team due to favouritism or networking. Imad Wasim got the benefit of being friends with Shakil Sheikh in Islamabad.

TLDR: Karachi player good, non karachi player bad 🙂

Doesnt make sense. How can you accuse Babar of nepotism when there's a rift between him and the Pakhtoon players (Shadab, Shaheen). I have a feeling Rizwan is playing a big role in keeping the peace.

Misinformed post, none of those replacements are world beaters.

I LOL’ed hard at ‘GOAT’ keeper batsman. I am from Karachi too and this rona peetna for an average player like Sarfraz is hilarious to say the least.

I saw a post on this forumn showing sami aslam's frustration with nepotism and it got me thinking, Why is their so much nepotism is Pakistan? So much so that babar Azam's playing 11 is being memed and called a friendship 11. Isn't winning a world cup for your country more important? What even is pcb thinking if the pride of your nation is not at stake.

I'll present you some examples of nepotism that have plagued us from 2022 to 2023 alone.

1) Shan Masood being made vice captain and even babar receiving a call from upper management to outright lie about imam's injury just to have Shan play? Everyone quoting shan's list A stats, oh bhai rahnei dei, I've seen the guy play since 2013 😂.

2) Faheem ashraf: Every time inzi is made a selector, Faheem jumps back into the squad.

3) Dhani: Dhani wasn't even in the initial camp, he was atrocious in the emerging Asia cup, how'd he get in?

4) Shadab khan: Babar in his interview outright stated that zaman Khan bowled poorly and is not international level, yet out right defends shadab calling him his best bowler despite being single handedly the worst bowler in the entire tournament, yes even worse the Nepal bowlers lol.

This nepotsitic culture is so evident that its insulting at this point. Why doesn't PCB understand that winning a cup is more important?

Another factor I'd like to add is that some posters criticised me for wanting certain players in the squad and me being biased towards them, That is not what I have said at all.

My point was, selection criteria is simply not fair for some players. If a player is given an extended run and fails, they sure drop them for good I agree. If tayyab was given a run and he failed then sure drop him, but he got dropped for no reason with zero games.

Similarly no matter how many times shadab fails, he isn't dropped, if anything he's supported beyond belief.

My point was that selection criteria isn't fair, not that I am being biased to certain players. I said test the bench strength and if the bench strength fails then choose the optimal options, we saw how badly babar's obsession with winning 11 had backfired in us getting butchered and our pacers getting injured.
I help you as captain so you can return the favour when you become captain. That's basically what it is. T*it for tat. One favour for another.

Watch the under performing captains in particular. What they will do is keep protecting other colleagues who happen to be proven failures to make themselves look better in the process. Inadvertently, all blame gets diverted elsewhere while the performances of the under performing captain will go unnoticed magically.

The favour gets reciprocated when the new captain takes over as he would now be obliged to keep selecting his former under performing captain.

Fans tend to jump to labels and conclusions real quick. Few mentioned names like Shadab, Imam, Rizwan aren't fair. Shadab has been our best all rounder for sometime hence been consisted with, if he has turned lousy off late then it is not team's fault for persisting with him. It's actually good to see Pakistan giving enough chances before sidelining them unlike before where switching was quite common. Mohammed Nawaz is much more useless than Shadab and how he is still persisted with is beyond me. Based on recent extended forms both should be dropped for WC.

Imam has proven to be an accumulator up the order and has performed consistently for Pakistan regardless of his lack of aggression with the bat. Even if he made it through nepotism, he has so far justified his spot by performing.

And how Pakistani fans don't even acknowledge the fact that why Pakistan batting collapses are so rare now compared to before where it was a common sight, credit to a larger extent goes to Rizwan in various formats. He is a gun of a player and has brought stability to our batting lineup and is able to shift gear when needed, we all should be extremely thankful that Pakistan was able to discover such gem of a player, but some unthankful fans have to complain. You can't compare him to unfit once in a blue moon performer Sarfaraz. Sarfaraz is a good captain and that's about it. I am from Karachi and don't support his inclusion.

The only institution safe from nepotism is actually the NATIONAL CRICKET TEAM. I do agree that nepotism can prevail in the domestic and club level, but with so much scrutiny of the national side, it just cannot take place

19-20 mai 19 can be selected but that's about it.

The names you mentioned:

Shadab= seriously? So many people believe he is one of the best if not the best all-rounder in the world

Faheem= was the highest wicket taker in one edition of the PSL

Dahani= was also the highest wicket taker in one addition of the PSL

Shan= not a big fan but the kind of List A and county record he has, he is privileged but makes the most of his skills as well

I think NEPOTISM is not the right word to describe the point you are trying to make. A better word would be unfair selection criteria

Nepotism means the person is in a position SOLELY based on family/lineage/friendship
All the people ypu mentioned are in place due to friendship, in case of shan family connections.

You can call it nepotism, the world calls its networking.

In any field you enter, the only way to get a job is by networking. In Cricket we discuss this alot because we see it and we dont like it. BUt the truth is when we need jobs, we are most likely to land a decent job through networking. Anyone trying to argue both are different is just being naive as its the same thing.

Thats how the world works. Merit is just rona dhona.

Today guys like Amir and Imad whine, but the truth is when the people that favored them were sitting in the admin, they also got into the team due to favouritism or networking. Imad Wasim got the benefit of being friends with Shakil Sheikh in Islamabad.
Yh but if I got a job and sucked at it, then I'd be fired. Irrespective of how I got it. It doesn't work like that in Pakistan cricket however.

Yh but if I got a job and sucked at it, then I'd be fired. Irrespective of how I got it. It doesn't work like that in Pakistan cricket however.
it does work that way in Pakistna cricket aswell.

The issue is that we have a poor captain with no game insight. If Misbah was captain and he saw this kind of performance from Nawaz and Shadab, they would had been out by now.

it does work that way in Pakistna cricket aswell.

The issue is that we have a poor captain with no game insight. If Misbah was captain and he saw this kind of performance from Nawaz and Shadab, they would had been out by now.
Bhai, you said it does work that way in Pakistan cricket but then said it doesn't work that way in Pakistan cricket because of Babar 😂. Aik hi baat hoi.

Bhai, you said it does work that way in Pakistan cricket but then said it doesn't work that way in Pakistan cricket because of Babar 😂. Aik hi baat hoi.
You are confusing Nepotism with something else. Nepotism is choosing your relative or some associate over others. Even if someone is performing that is nepotism.

Nepotism happens everywhere

You are confusing Nepotism with something else. Nepotism is choosing your relative or some associate over others. Even if someone is performing that is nepotism.

Nepotism happens everywhere
That's fair.

I have been following the sport for almost 3 decades and this thing seems to be always there but it seems to be increasing all the time and that is a huge worry. Unfortunately, in Pakistan you can see this happening in other sports and industries as well.

All the people ypu mentioned are in place due to friendship, in case of shan family connections.
If you had the same family connections as Shan, would you be in the team?
Nepotism is a very strong word which people like you who aren't really proficient throw around so easily

If you had the same family connections as Shan, would you be in the team?
Nepotism is a very strong word which people like you who aren't really proficient throw around so easily

"Nepotism is a very strong word which people like you who aren't really proficient throw around so easily"

What does that even mean? Shan not only got in the team, he was made Vice captain, so much so that when babar wasn't playing him, management called and straight up told babar that shan must play, so babar outright had to lie and tell the media that imam was injured.

Shan then proceeded to get dismissed for a duck. Imam who is a consistent performer had to get dropped to accommodate a cricketer who an entire crowd outright called parchi and Shan took offense to it and started doing drama bazi on twitter trying to justify his position in the team.

The one who is not proficient is you. Don't Try to insult when you lack the basic insight to make basic claims.

"If you had the same family connections as Shan, would you be in the team"

I don't know because I am not a cricketer nor do I have family connections in PCB. I can tell you this much, my family despite being well connected across the world would rather have me be homeless then bias me towards certain things, and I agree with them, warna I'd be making the same mummy daddy comments as you rn 😂.

Nepotism kills the competition, Babar doesn't have to worry about his position as long he has "Yes men" in the team, other than Nepotism, Tribalism is another factor, how come people from Karachi (I am/was from Punjab) have to prove themselves twice over before being given a chance, Fawad Alam anyone remember him? Yes, he may have failed in some games but how about persisting with him like some others? There is just one token Karachi player in the team and that's about it.

Nepotism kills the competition, Babar doesn't have to worry about his position as long he has "Yes men" in the team, other than Nepotism, Tribalism is another factor, how come people from Karachi (I am/was from Punjab) have to prove themselves twice over before being given a chance, Fawad Alam anyone remember him? Yes, he may have failed in some games but how about persisting with him like some others? There is just one token Karachi player in the team and that's about it.
Pretty sure lahori's are favoured the most

its more like a friendship 11 which is preventing emerging talents from the domestic circuit getting an opportunity.

PCB must take a strict action against such things. if u have a talent u will stay in a team if not so Good Bye!

You have to remember that it's not just the skipper, coach, selectors who pick the Pakistan team.

'Outsiders' also have a say and this has always been the case apart from when Imran Khan was skipper.

Every squad you will see a questionable pick, simply made to satisfy those with influence and to keep them happy.

You have to remember that it's not just the skipper, coach, selectors who pick the Pakistan team.

'Outsiders' also have a say and this has always been the case apart from when Imran Khan was skipper.

Every squad you will see a questionable pick, simply made to satisfy those with influence and to keep them happy.
Salman Ali Agha when selected was branded a parchi as his domestic record wasn't as impressive as others - he has been constantly performing.

Abdullah Shafiq when selected was branded a parchi as he had hardly played any domestic cricket but he has shown in test matches, especially that knock in the 4th innings vs Sri Lanka that he is a special talent.

Same for Imam.

And these are just recent examples.

So sometimes we have to trust the selector/s eye for talent as well. Otherwise anyone can open stats and select an eleven.

As I have said before, 19-20 mai 19 is selected. But the only example I can think of where there was clear disregard of merit and the system was when Junaid Zia was selected.

Don't know before 2003 as I started watching cricket after that.

I think rather than nepotism it is because of lack of shared continuity/vision and cooperation in Pak cricket.

In India, typically over last 15 years there have been 3 term captains - MSD, Kohli and Rohit. Each of these captains have had their own idea of what type of teams to pick, had a pliable coach and despite multiple different selection committees throughout their tenure, they have usually been able to get the committee's to buy into their vision for team and pick teams that structurally fit in with the captains plan.
For example, Dhoni focused on spinners at home and selectors gave him Ojha/Jadeja and pitches to support. Kohli wanted pacers to be developed and selectors obliged this vision also.

Since Dravid came at NCA, there is even more clear connection between U19, A team, NCA and national team. For e.g. if the national team says that left arm pacers are needed, the lower levels will try to give exposure to likes of Khaleel/Arshdeep/Sakariya etc to try and develop a suitable resource. Whether they are successful or not, all parties are on same page.

Whereas in Pakistan, typically there is massive and sudden shift in strategy and goalposts with every change in captain/coach/chairman of selectors. I feel many of these actors are well meaning but they all have different visions and egos and don't co-operate with each other.
for e.g. Inzamam clearly believes in a pace allrounder being a necessity and thus pushes Faheem as the solution. Babar clearly prefers spinners who can bat over specialists like an Abrar so he backs Shadab and Nawaz. These are not necessarily right or wrong but merely different approaches which clash together. And God alone knows what agendas and politicking is going on at Shaheens, youth level and whether they have any cohesion with national team and selectors.

Salman Ali Agha when selected was branded a parchi as his domestic record wasn't as impressive as others - he has been constantly performing.

Abdullah Shafiq when selected was branded a parchi as he had hardly played any domestic cricket but he has shown in test matches, especially that knock in the 4th innings vs Sri Lanka that he is a special talent.

Same for Imam.

And these are just recent examples.

So sometimes we have to trust the selector/s eye for talent as well. Otherwise anyone can open stats and select an eleven.

As I have said before, 19-20 mai 19 is selected. But the only example I can think of where there was clear disregard of merit and the system was when Junaid Zia was selected.

Don't know before 2003 as I started watching cricket after that.
Agha hasn't performed since the NZ series. His run in afg series and Asia cup has been abysmal, he can't even perform against Nepal.

Abdullah had a Massively succesful psl and had an amazing test record before being selected, he just lacks list A experience but he deserved a test call up.

Imam was branded a parchi thanks to his uncle connections but imam in list a and test had an amazing record. Inzi refused to bring imam into the squad until he improved his absymal 35 Average in domestic test. He brought it up to 40 and was selected a year later.

Agha hasn't performed since the NZ series. His run in afg series and Asia cup has been abysmal, he can't even perform against Nepal.

Abdullah had a Massively succesful psl and had an amazing test record before being selected, he just lacks list A experience but he deserved a test call up.

Imam was branded a parchi thanks to his uncle connections but imam in list a and test had an amazing record. Inzi refused to bring imam into the squad until he improved his absymal 35 Average in domestic test. He brought it up to 40 and was selected a year later.
So many statistical errors here

Nepotism is not what this is. Only Shan Masood can lay claim to getting into the team due to connections when his performances didn’t warrant it.

The OP possibly suggests that Nawaz and Shadab got a longer rope than they should have done due to friendships with the captain.

However Babar has shown that guys like Hasan Ali, Fakhar, Malik and Imad Wasim have all been dropped when they’ve needed to be. Maybe a few more names I’m missing too.

Personally I wouldn’t drop Shadab for the WC. He’s experienced, has previously done well in ICC comps and is a decent number 7 batsman and fielder. There’s no groundbreaking replacement for him.

I wouldn't deny nepotism is a problem in PAK cricket, but it's used as a crutch quite often by fans to escape the fact the talent pool isn't good enough outside the top 14-15 elite cricketers. For all this chest beating I often read about "talent on every street" in PAK, why have we then struggled to plug the following gaps in our white-ball teams for a decade ?

- Middle order batsmen
- Power hitting batsmen
- Specialist spinner
- Seam bowling all-rounder

That's simply not solely down to nepotism. Have we made bad selections ? Yes. Have selectors have shown favouritism for certain players ? Heck yes (Shadab Khan instantly springs to mind). However that's different from nepotism which perhaps the OP has confused. Even then, you can make arguments for the names listed:

- Shan Masood: has a well-connected father. However Shan and Babar were the only PAK batters who looked comfortable on bouncy wickets in South Africa in 2018 when he returned. He also scored a ton of runs in County Cricket, has captained well, and had the highest List A average in history of PAK cricket. Has he failed to justify the investment in him ? Yes, but it's not like he got plucked from nowhere.

- Agha Salman: What family connections does he possess ? The only reason some call him parchi is because he isn't some hyped 18 year old sensation with 10 Talent Spotter threads but an unhyped domestic grafter. He averaged 74, 58 and 46 in the 2019, 2020 and 2021 QEA Trophy. His ODI batting record is very good, higher than other middle-order options tested like Khushdil Shah and Asif Ali, although boosted by Netherlands bashing. But remember the Dutch nearly won 2 of those ODIs so his runs were vital.

- Faheem Ashraf: Again I'm unaware of any special connections. Now anyone following my history knows I've not had a good word to say about Faheem's cricketing abilities bar a purple patch in Tests during COVID. And I agree Faheem's had FAR too long a rope. He was basically picked for his PSL 2023 batting form (avg 35.83 at 149 SR). However in fairness he bowled well in 3rd ODI vs AFG (albeit on a low, sticky wicket tailormade for his bowling style) so the selectors stuck with him.

As for the bench players - I again agree we haven't made good use of them in low-profile series. However can we please temper our expectations because it seems if I sat long enough on PAK's bench as a batter, you'd hype me as the next Don Bradman (which I most certainly am not - Rahat Ali is more accurate).

I kept reading Amir Jamal's name so I checked his performance in our most recent Pakistan Cup. He went for 61.42 per wicket at an ER of 8.11. It's the same domestic system where Saad Nasim cracked a double hundred last week ! There aren't any selection silver bullets here guys !

Goat keeper nice joke

I wouldn't deny nepotism is a problem in PAK cricket, but it's used as a crutch quite often by fans to escape the fact the talent pool isn't good enough outside the top 14-15 elite cricketers. For all this chest beating I often read about "talent on every street" in PAK, why have we then struggled to plug the following gaps in our white-ball teams for a decade ?

- Middle order batsmen
- Power hitting batsmen
- Specialist spinner

That's simply not solely down to nepotism. Have we made bad selections ? Yes. Have selectors have shown favouritism for certain players ? Heck yes (Shadab Khan instantly springs to mind). However that's different from nepotism which perhaps the OP has confused. Even then, you can make arguments for the names listed:

- Shan Masood: has a well-connected father. However Shan and Babar were the only PAK batters who looked comfortable on bouncy wickets in South Africa in 2018 when he returned. He also scored a ton of runs in County Cricket, has captained well, and had the highest List A average in history of PAK cricket. Has he failed to justify the investment in him ? Yes, but it's not like he got plucked from nowhere.

- Agha Salman: What family connections does he possess ? The only reason some call him parchi is because he isn't some hyped 18 year old sensation with 10 Talent Spotter threads but an unhyped domestic grafter. He averaged 74, 58 and 46 in the 2019, 2020 and 2021 QEA Trophy. His ODI batting record is very good, higher than other middle-order options tested like Khushdil Shah and Asif Ali, although boosted by Netherlands bashing. But remember the Dutch nearly won 2 of those ODIs so his runs were vital.

- Faheem Ashraf: Again I'm unaware of any special connections. Now anyone following my history knows I've not had a good word to say about Faheem's cricketing abilities bar a purple patch in Tests during COVID. And I agree Faheem's had FAR too long a rope. He was basically picked for his PSL 2023 batting form (avg 35.83 at 149 SR). However in fairness he bowled well in 3rd ODI vs AFG (albeit on a low, sticky wicket tailormade for his bowling style) so the selectors stuck with him.

As for the bench players - I again agree we haven't made good use of them in low-profile series. However can we please temper our expectations because it seems if I sat long enough on PAK's bench as a batter, you'd hype me as the next Don Bradman (which I most certainly am not - Rahat Ali is more accurate).

I kept reading Amir Jamal's name so I checked his performance in our most recent Pakistan Cup. He went for 61.42 per wicket at an ER of 8.11. It's the same domestic system where Saad Nasim cracked a double hundred last week ! There aren't any selection silver bullets here guys !
Excellent and insightful post

Pakistan fans are the most emotional in the world. Logic flies out of the window in your post.

Rizwan stealing the spot of Sarfaraz is a personal highlight. Sarfaraz was literally hiding in his own batting order before he was ousted but sure.

Wait, i've just read that Iftikhar is blocking the development of Danish Aziz and Azam Khan :ROFLMAO:

Imam is being 'shoved in there' with his 50+ average and 9 centuries lol. Meanwhile Sharjeel with no domestic performances has to settle for a place on the sofa. So hard done by :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
They are selected because of their stats. There can be a debate to whether their stats misrepresent them or not, but pretty obvious it is on perceived merit not on nepotism.

Faheem is our most prolific pace allrounder in PSL. I think he shouldn’t play, but I kind of understand why we keep including him.

Imam was dominant in U19 with a very good record there and was touted to play for a long time. That is why he was fast tracked. Since that his stats have maintained his place. That isn’t really nepotism.

Sarfraz performances, fitness and wicketkeeping were deteriorating over the years. Which led to him losing his place. No surprise here.

Shadab has performed in the past and still has a better record than most others. Our specialist spinners are pretty weak, we’ve tried out a lot in recent years.

There are only two cases I can think of nepotism

Masood’s first inclusion was strange. He had an average record at the time. His second and subsequent call ups weren’t, given his domestic prowess leading to those call ups. Highest list an average, success in foreign t20 tournaments etc. Maybe selectors knew he would start dominating soon, but yeah this case was weird.

Imad clearly deserved to be in the squads. This might be down to disagreement with management, captain etc. Inferior options were preferred over him because they weren’t him.

Would Imam-ul-haq play for any other top class international side?. He is only in the team coz of his uncle. That said many players like Azam Khan were thrown out despite having deep connections with ex players.

Would Imam-ul-haq play for any other top class international side?. He is only in the team coz of his uncle. That said many players like Azam Khan were thrown out despite having deep connections with ex players.
I mean Azam Khan sends a bad signal. First of the guy doesn't merit a place. He's bang average. He was horrible against afg. Only player who blossomed in that series was saim ayub who won us the 3rd game single handedly.

Secondly is azam Khan is in the team then what about fitness standards? Azam isn't fit by any means lol. It's not hard to lose weight fam. Just requires patience.

Mickey won’t compromise on fitness. And that should be a minimum.
He let Sarfraz get unfit. Once Mickey was sacked, Sarfraz quickly lost weight and got fit again, thinking this would appease the next coach.

We lost our best current tactician as captain over it. I think Sarfraz also has massively underperformed, if He’d have kept his fitness you probably wouldn’t have seen such a decline in batting and keeping. Given Sarfraz’s game was founded on singles and not a particularly good boundary hitter, he needed to stay fit.

He let Sarfraz get unfit. Once Mickey was sacked, Sarfraz quickly lost weight and got fit again, thinking this would appease the next coach.

We lost our best current tactician as captain over it. I think Sarfraz also has massively underperformed, if He’d have kept his fitness you probably wouldn’t have seen such a decline in batting and keeping. Given Sarfraz’s game was founded on singles and not a particularly good boundary hitter, he needed to stay fit.
Again, in my opinion, I would say that performance matters the most. More than your weight particularly. More weight doesn't mean that the guy is not fit.

I remember a former chief selector telling me that they had picked a squad for a tour. But were then told by senior PCB officials to change it, as senior politicians had said a couple of other players had to be on that tour.

Pakistan fans are the most emotional in the world. Logic flies out of the window in your post.

Rizwan stealing the spot of Sarfaraz is a personal highlight. Sarfaraz was literally hiding in his own batting order before he was ousted but sure.

Wait, i've just read that Iftikhar is blocking the development of Danish Aziz and Azam Khan :ROFLMAO:

Imam is being 'shoved in there' with his 50+ average and 9 centuries lol. Meanwhile Sharjeel with no domestic performances has to settle for a place on the sofa. So hard done by :ROFLMAO:
Keep laughing, you know I'm right

Sarfraz "hiding" behind the tail was not any kind of cowardice but showed his pragmatism as a leader. Could he have worked on his power game, sure but he realised that guys like Hasan Ali and Wahab had a talent to strike the ball and by correctly identifying that talent he was able to get us 13 consecutive T20I wins. Personally I respect that more than the coward Rizwan who destroys every batting line up by forcing himself as an opener

Yes Iftikhar did block the development of both. We have invested in Chacha for almost 4 years and he is yet to produce any match winning knocks. A constant let down who partnered with Rizwan to loose us the Asia Cup. If Azam Khan and Danish Aziz got the long rope like him than guaranteed they would have helped us win one of either the two T20 world cups or Asia Cups

Sharjeel was bossing the national T20 comp for two consecutive years and was miles ahead of both Rizwan and Babar as an opener. If he was given a chance in the international set up he would have easily reached the top 5 in T20 rankings and unlike Rizbar, it would have been on the back of match winning performances

I agree on the rest besides rizwan vs Sarfraz.

Sarfraz took rizwan's spot from test. Misbah was desperately trying to get rid of sarfraz hence he promoted rizwan to open.

Rizwan was a failure down the order at 6/7, sarfraz at those positions had superior stats to him. And rizwan's t20 style of play was exposed in the test series showing he can't bat for long.

Also 2015 sarfraz was far far superior to rizwan, it isn't even a contest, the man single handedly won us the sa match along with wahab. He's played knocks in both test and odi and psl, something rizwan can only dream of playing.

However sarfraz did regress due to age and fitness so currently rizwan is a better limited overs player then sarfraz is.

But the fact that an old has been sarfraz replaced rizwan in test proves who was superior in their primes.

As for ifti, danish aziz and azam Khan are trash, they shouldn't be in the squad, but by no means does chacha a 40+ year old has been warrant a place over tayyab tahir. Tayyab should have been our no 5 atm, and rizwan is not superior to saud at no 4, I've seen the way rizwan plays quality spin, In spin wickets without saud we're getting cremated in India. Rizwan is blocking saud's inclusion due to his drama bazi with the no 4 slot.

As for Imam and sharjeel, that part I agree. Sharjeel sold his country and is a medicore player. Imam however is not the answer. He's a world class accumulator and basically azhar Ali 2.0, he's more consistent then azhar but a worse striker. Imam should be pur test opener, he should make way for someone like saim ayub to open the innings in odi and t20 for us.

- Middle order batsmen
- Power hitting batsmen
- Specialist spinner

Issue is, if you are looking at Pakistan Cup , then Amad Butt makes it ahead of Faheem/Aamer Jamal as seam all-rounder. Then, is PSL being used to select for ODI's or is the eye-test or is there a more sophisticated process involving mapping of players' ball tracking data and seeing whether it matches what is generally successful in ODI cricket?

That last method is only done in England, I believe.

Seems a few former cricketers' sons drafted in for the SPL.

Nepotism?

Seems a few former cricketers' sons drafted in for the SPL.

Nepotism?

I think when we infer nepotism, it isn't so much as drafting in, as much as applying an unfair selection criteria towards them and booting already established players out of their position.

For example is a no 3 batsmen in domestic is performing and he happens to be the son of someone connected, then yes draft him in, but that doesn't mean if he fails 20+ games he shpuld keep playing forever, and he shouldn't be allowed to just outright replace someone at no 3 if their already established.

If I was the son of someone famous and I was performing well at no 3, then I should back up my performances, in no way do I deserve to come into the team and outright replace babar.

With players like asad shafiq, they entered and replaced umar akmal, call umar a hack, but he was performing at no 3. In no way does someone like shafiq who's medicore at List A deserves to replace him, but he did due to Misbah bias.

Nepotism is related to family members giving you positions, so Shan would appropriate as a Nepo selection whereas anyone who is friends, or due to certain camp backings would be cronyism.

Nepotism is part of Pakistan culture.

Position by Merit does not exist in society and cricket is just a reflection of that.

Nepotism is part of Pakistan culture.

Position by Merit does not exist in society and cricket is just a reflection of that.
Nepotism is different from networking.

Networking is when you obviously get biased towards a certain thing because of connections, such as your school, your university, you getting a job in certain positions and areas etc.

However you still gotta work hard and be good at the job cause others exist with similar connections.

Nepotism is when networking turns into bias. Aka the person Brought on is clearly not doing a good job, is clearly not doing the best candidate and other networking kids with connections also exist but you still choose to stick with this person for some reason such as friendship.

At the end what happens is the person you chose to be Nepotistic towards causes damage to your own system be it your company, your home life or whatever really.

So I humbly disagree. Position by merit may not exist in a sense that anyone can get hired if they work hard, but success is when talent meets opportunity.

Otherwise even kohli is a product of Nepotism since his dad was influential and clearly biased and favoured him, but no one on the planet would call kohli a nepotistic baby, Imam and sham masood yes, because they didn't reward their connections with talent or performance.

Nepotism is different from networking.

Networking is when you obviously get biased towards a certain thing because of connections, such as your school, your university, you getting a job in certain positions and areas etc.

However you still gotta work hard and be good at the job cause others exist with similar connections.

Nepotism is when networking turns into bias. Aka the person Brought on is clearly not doing a good job, is clearly not doing the best candidate and other networking kids with connections also exist but you still choose to stick with this person for some reason such as friendship.

At the end what happens is the person you chose to be Nepotistic towards causes damage to your own system be it your company, your home life or whatever really.

So I humbly disagree. Position by merit may not exist in a sense that anyone can get hired if they work hard, but success is when talent meets opportunity.

Otherwise even kohli is a product of Nepotism since his dad was influential and clearly biased and favoured him, but no one on the planet would call kohli a nepotistic baby, Imam and sham masood yes, because they didn't reward their connections with talent or performance.

Meray betay kee naukri lagadain bhai

Please get my son a job

This is normal and is nepotism as it gets your son a job that he did not deserve

Meray betay kee naukri lagadain bhai

Please get my son a job

This is normal and is nepotism as it gets your son a job that he did not deserve
Big Brother, look at it from this perspective.

Taylor Swift was born into a rich music family, her parents literally named her after a musician and wanted to go into music.

If she was born talented but to a different family then she would not be where she is, because deapite being talented she wouldn't have connections aka zero opportunity to show her talent.

However even though she is born lucky, if she could not sing, then people wouldn't follow her music, no one would give a kahoot about her, music companies would easily replace her for an indie singer, and no one would care about her songs on Spotify.

So despite being born lucky, she is talented hence the whole merei beti ki nokri laga do applies to her. No one calles her a nepotistic singer.

Nepotisitm is when you get favoured but you're not talented, so you cause damage to your company.

Shan masood and imam are nepotisitic but due to not repaying that favour, not only are they replacable but they cause damage to the company who biased them, in this case the company being pcb.

Networking is when talent meets opportunity
Nepotism is when networking becomes bias and causes damage to the organisation.

^^ Massive difference between the 2.

There is nothing wrong if you network and get yourself into a good position.

There is everything wrong when you get a job/position because someone you know gets you a position without you having any qualifications etc

Let's not hijack this thread.

There is everything wrong when you get a job/position because someone you know gets you a position without you having any qualifications etc

Let's not hijack this thread.

So we agree, zindabad brother 🫡

When Imam Ul haq got selected he got bashed with comments of nepotism as he Inzamam is his Chacha and was selector when Imam was selected with an avg that was not in the 40s. However, he went on to score runs and prove his worth but the parchi tag never went away even after performing well.

Now a lot of family members of ex cricketers are taking up the sport and have an edge due to their parents. So how are we to differentiate, whether the player is a parchi or selected on merit?

Because no matter with how much a player performs, if there is a person who hates that player or wants to critisize him, he will keep on bringing on the parchi tag even if that player was selected on merit.

List of up coming players related to Ex Cricketers:

Ibtasam ul haq - Inzamam's son
Ibtisam Azhar - Azhar Ali's son
Faham ul haq - Misbah Ul Haq's son
Ali Razzaq - Abdul Razzaq's son
Abbas Afridi - Umar Gul's nephew
Mohammad Hurraira - Shoaib Malik's nephew
Azam Khan - Moin Khan's son

These are the few players i know, and posters who know more should share here.

no, a lack of professional set up, no long term planning, lack of focus on core skills, deteriorating fitness, and poor player management play a larger role.

cricket is extremely difficult to learn, the likelihood of players being from cricketing families is to be expected given the kind of environment you need as a youngster to succeed.

theres a whole history of families who have played for various teams. cricket is a middle and upper middle class sport, its very difficult to succeed, especially as a batsman if you do not have access to top facilities.

Nepotism runs deep in PCB, Rana Brothers still leeching in since 70s, Intikhab Alam spent half a century joy riding in PCB so are Zakir Khan who has some relation with IK has literally held every position in last 30 years, there is a long list players being rewarded for the sake of it like Misbah obliging 40 year old buddy Riffatullah and many other SNGPL players like Muhammad Salman, Rizwan. Akmal brothers drafting in Adnan by pushing Zulqurnain out and so and so on..

As President's Trophy 2023-24 first round kicks off in Karachi

The captain of Ghani Glass is Moeez Ghazi, who is allegedly part of Ghani Glass.

Nepotism, senior culture is the main architect of our cricket' demise, regardless of whether talent exists or not we have destroyed careers of countless players while supporting the leeches until perpetuity , prime examples Sami Aslam was given a go the dropped and left in wilderness while Imam ul Haq seems to have a lifetime license same goes with Ahmed Shehzad discarded on likes and dislikes , Azhar Ali and Asad Shafiq both batsmen in same mould one goes on to win record caps with captaincy while other without any apparent reason left in the middle of the road.
Paksitan cricket is rotten from mouth to qolon

PCB and nepotism have a shameful history, Junaid Zia son of Gen Tauqeee then Chairman played for Pakistan was such a mediocre player, Imran Farhat leeched our team constantly between 2006-2013 because his father in law was a selector, Players being accommodated and played on dosti yaari , milna julna like Misbah handing debut to Riffatullah who had reflexes of a 70 year old, Faisal Iqbal was considered Asian Steve Smith an was carriage for 20+ Tests

Ramiz Raja’s kids using NCA but that’s not nepotism because he belongs to people we like.

Nepotism is just the one of many issues that are plaguing PCB at the moment.
PCB and nepotism have a shameful history, Junaid Zia son of Gen Tauqeee then Chairman played for Pakistan was such a mediocre player, Imran Farhat leeched our team constantly between 2006-2013 because his father in law was a selector, Players being accommodated and played on dosti yaari , milna julna like Misbah handing debut to Riffatullah who had reflexes of a 70 year old, Faisal Iqbal was considered Asian Steve Smith an was carriage for 20+ Tests

@Saj
Can you confirm this please. Sorry just seen the post above. Absolutely disgusting
I asked a couple of players about this guy and whether he is any good. Both refused to say what they thought :)

He was made captain in his first ever First Class match - then we wonder why Pakistan cricket is such a mess.

Nepotism XI

Imam-ul-Haq
Imran Farhat
Shan Masood
Usman Salahuddin
Faisal Iqbal
Adnan Akmal / Humayun Farhat / Azam Khan
Usman Qadir
Junaid Zia
Arjun Tendulkar
Bas de Leede
Arsal Sheikh
Usman Salahuddin based on what?

I asked a couple of players about this guy and whether he is any good. Both refused to say what they thought :)

He was made captain in his first ever First Class match - then we wonder why Pakistan cricket is such a mess.
The mafia love the power and that's why they hated the system that IK brought in. It wasn't perfect but the selection criteria had logic and merit. Over time it would have evolved to a good system.

Nepotism XI

Imam-ul-Haq
Imran Farhat
Shan Masood
Usman Salahuddin
Faisal Iqbal
Adnan Akmal / Humayun Farhat / Azam Khan
Usman Qadir
Junaid Zia
Arjun Tendulkar
Bas de Leede
Arsal Sheikh
Bar Junaid Zia and Arsal Sheikh all the others were or are good FC players and in most cases solid international players. Whether they would have got the opportunity to be solid or good is another question, a question which we will never have an answer to. Probably not but no one can he certain

Back