Nepotism: The architect of Pakistan's demise in cricket?

Alot of sons, brothers, nephews of Pakistani ex-cricketers, current cricketers and celebrities have started to play cricket either in domestic or in international cricket. This is not really a bad thing if the player gets in the team on merit, however as soon as such players give a bad performance they get labelled with the tag of parchi or nepotism.

Would this be a major cause of concern in future?

Here are the list of players that are also related to an ex player.

Azam Khan being son of Moin Khan
Ali Razzaq being the son of Abdul Razzaq
Faham Ul haq being the son of Misbah ul haq
Ibtisam Azhar being the son of Azhar Ali
Ibtisam ul haq being the son of Inzamam ul haq
Ubaid and Hunain Shah being the brother of Naseem Shah
Safeer Azam being the brother of Babar Azam (training with PZ)
Shamyl Hussain being the son of journalist Talat Hussain
Mohammad Hurraira being the nephew of Shoaib Malik
Daniyal Yousuf being Mohammad Yousuf's son
Shaheen Afridi is the son in law of Shahid Afridi

We used to bash Imran Farhat for being related to chief selector Mohammad Ilyas, but now what?

Former Pakistan captain Moin Khan, during a media interaction at a local event, stated:

"I have said many times that as long as Azam Khan is playing, I will not take on any role in PCB. The conflict of interest, I don't like it as Moin Khan."

I think Nepotism isn’t really a thing in current Pakistani cricket. There’s no cricketer that is playing in the squad where there is not a significant number of fans behind their selection. It’s just difference of opinion.

Azam khan I thought perhaps was benefitting being played in PSL. He has shown this isn’t the case, with his performance in leagues, man is a genuine talent. Shan Masood on his debut was a weird one, as most had not even heard of him and he didn’t have any great domestic performances. However his successive comebacks he had both support from fans and dominated in domestic. Don’t think he’s good enough but I can understand why some want him. And that’s the thing, if there’s a significant amount of fans pushing for that guys inclusion, it becomes difficult to argue nepotism even if you personally are against it.

We used to bash Imran Farhat for being related to chief selector Mohammad Ilyas, but now what?
I remember this. I always wondered why Farhat was selected. Though I was a bit too young to properly judge his selection.

However Farhat was basically the best Pakistani domestic opener in his time. Maybe you could argue Butt but he also played a lot of matches. I’ve come to think maybe it wasn’t nepotism, all we were doing were selecting the best openers in domestic. It’s not necessarily their fault if they were bad. And the other opening alternatives may have been even worse given they could not even match guys like Farhat in domestic. Our opening talent was just very low back then.

It could have been nepotism or not. But I don’t think it was as clear cut. What’s more I doubt Farhat believed it was nepotism, given he was doing well as opener in domestic year after year. I think Farhat just became an easy scapegoat for us not doing well, we could cry that it was due to nepotism that we weren’t winning everything.

Alot of sons, brothers, nephews of Pakistani ex-cricketers, current cricketers and celebrities have started to play cricket either in domestic or in international cricket. This is not really a bad thing if the player gets in the team on merit, however as soon as such players give a bad performance they get labelled with the tag of parchi or nepotism.

Ik ibtisam ul haq in real life. While I love the dude, he's cool, he's clearly not cricket material, no offense to him ofcourse, I wish him the best.

Former Pakistan captain Moin Khan, during a media interaction at a local event, stated:

"I have said many times that as long as Azam Khan is playing, I will not take on any role in PCB. The conflict of interest, I don't like it as Moin Khan."

Good decision by Moin to keep him aside while Azam is playing otherwise it will become even more difficult for Azam to justify his place in the team because everyone will tag him with his father's parchi.

Nepotism has always been a part of our Cricket during our best years too. It is just that back in the 1970's to 1990's period the players generally were of much greater quality. Even if they were in the team because of nepotism they were class players.

This isn't nepotism per se. Nepotism is Junaid Zia playing for Pakistan at the time he did.

Just because somebody is related to an ex-cricketer doesn't mean that nepotism is rife. By that logic no individual can play cricket if he has an ex-cricketer in his family.

Azam Khan is clearly talented enough to be playing domestic on his own skill. People just look at his physique and assume that it is nepotism. It's not. Ubaid and Hunain are clearly decent enough to be domestic players at least. They don't need Naseem. Shaheen was a good bowler and came through the ranks himself before he got related to Afridi.

In every walk of life, every individual at some point in time needs a push. There's nothing wrong if somebody puts in a word for you that helps you nudge ahead in line. We all do that when we apply for jobs. Don't we? Don't we call our friends to ensure our CV lands first on the hiring manager's desk and to push them to hire us? Nepotism happens when you abuse this and actually disregard everyone else just because somebody is related to somebody. I don't see anyone in that list being given preferential treatment as of now.

This issue will never go away.

From junior cricket to the national team, it's staring us in the face.

This isn't nepotism per se. Nepotism is Junaid Zia playing for Pakistan at the time he did.

Just because somebody is related to an ex-cricketer doesn't mean that nepotism is rife. By that logic no individual can play cricket if he has an ex-cricketer in his family.

Azam Khan is clearly talented enough to be playing domestic on his own skill. People just look at his physique and assume that it is nepotism. It's not. Ubaid and Hunain are clearly decent enough to be domestic players at least. They don't need Naseem. Shaheen was a good bowler and came through the ranks himself before he got related to Afridi.

In every walk of life, every individual at some point in time needs a push. There's nothing wrong if somebody puts in a word for you that helps you nudge ahead in line. We all do that when we apply for jobs. Don't we? Don't we call our friends to ensure our CV lands first on the hiring manager's desk and to push them to hire us? Nepotism happens when you abuse this and actually disregard everyone else just because somebody is related to somebody. I don't see anyone in that list being given preferential treatment as of now.
i am not claiming that this is nepotism.

What i am saying is that, fans will start labelling this as nepotism.

This issue will never go away.

From junior cricket to the national team, it's staring us in the face.
Can you tell us which player or players are currently playing for Pakistan based on nepotism?

Rather than nepotism, I have come to realise that regional bias is the real architect of Pakistan cricket's demise

The clearest example of this is the leeway players from KPK have started to receive ever since Rizwan and the SAYA mafia have latched their tentacles onto Pakistan cricket. Just look at Khushdil Shah for example. To any objective cricket fan, he is the worst possible player on could ask for; no class, no skill, no power just vibes. Despite all that he was given 27 T20I games and was chosen over guys like Saim Ayub, Omair Yusuf, Danish Aziz and Azam Khan. Now if this isn't regionalism I don't know what else is

Another example is Iftikhar who I don't really need to say much about. This man was a huge factor in why we lost the Asia Cup 22 (with Rizwan), world cup 22 (playing a maiden in the 12th over) and the 2023 world cup. Despite that he continues to be a travelling member with now his fluke PSL giving him a lifeline for another year and a half

Other examples of Rizwan's KP nexus include: Nawaz, Wasim Jr, Sajid Khan, Haseebullah and many more

Until this regionalism is not quelled and merit is put back into selection, than we will continue to see Pakistan cricket fall lower and lower

Is no one talking about the Bilal Afzal appointment because of his relation to the chairman or have I missed it?

If Babar Azam becoming captain again isn’t nepotism, then what is?

Historically, there are 4 current players in the Pakistan set up who are better proven captains in the PSL. Rizwan, Shadab, Shaheen and even Imad are statistically better captains. If you throw Sarfaraz into the mix, that would make it 5!

So why is Babar preferred over all of them? How is it not nepotism? Because his dad isn’t an ex international or doesn’t work in the PCB hierarchy?

Rather than nepotism, I have come to realise that regional bias is the real architect of Pakistan cricket's demise

The clearest example of this is the leeway players from KPK have started to receive ever since Rizwan and the SAYA mafia have latched their tentacles onto Pakistan cricket. Just look at Khushdil Shah for example. To any objective cricket fan, he is the worst possible player on could ask for; no class, no skill, no power just vibes. Despite all that he was given 27 T20I games and was chosen over guys like Saim Ayub, Omair Yusuf, Danish Aziz and Azam Khan. Now if this isn't regionalism I don't know what else is

Another example is Iftikhar who I don't really need to say much about. This man was a huge factor in why we lost the Asia Cup 22 (with Rizwan), world cup 22 (playing a maiden in the 12th over) and the 2023 world cup. Despite that he continues to be a travelling member with now his fluke PSL giving him a lifeline for another year and a half

Other examples of Rizwan's KP nexus include: Nawaz, Wasim Jr, Sajid Khan, Haseebullah and many more

Until this regionalism is not quelled and merit is put back into selection, than we will continue to see Pakistan cricket fall lower and lower

Oh please, stop playing this card. Regionalism is almost finished in Pakistan cricket except from the Karachi lobby. Shaheen, Rizwan & Shadab are all Pukthoon but they are supporting a Punjabi captain. Shahid Afridi tried his best to lobby for Shaheen but he too has spent most of his life living in Karachi.

If Babar Azam becoming captain again isn’t nepotism, then what is?

Historically, there are 4 current players in the Pakistan set up who are better proven captains in the PSL. Rizwan, Shadab, Shaheen and even Imad are statistically better captains. If you throw Sarfaraz into the mix, that would make it 5!

So why is Babar preferred over all of them? How is it not nepotism? Because his dad isn’t an ex international or doesn’t work in the PCB hierarchy?

You answered your own question. It's not nepotism.

Babar is our best batter and is still fairly young. He has prior captaincy experience. The #1 criteria for a captain should be that they make the team on merit

You answered your own question. It's not nepotism.

Babar is our best batter and is still fairly young. He has prior captaincy experience. The #1 criteria for a captain should be that they make the team on merit
But the captain is not a captain on merit?! So how have I answered my own question?

But the captain is not a captain on merit?! So how have I answered my own question?
Yes but a player won't can't make the 30 man squad should be the captain because ok merit. Great logic as usual.

Oh please, stop playing this card. Regionalism is almost finished in Pakistan cricket except from the Karachi lobby. Shaheen, Rizwan & Shadab are all Pukthoon but they are supporting a Punjabi captain. Shahid Afridi tried his best to lobby for Shaheen but he too has spent most of his life living in Karachi.
Lol at sarfraz who got booted out of his Psl team by an owner who would play him till 60s.

Lol at sarfraz who got booted out of his Psl team by an owner who would play him till 60s.
Sarfraz from 2016 to 2019 was a better captain then babar, much much better.

Babar is a better batsmen by miles though.

Sarfraz post 2019 is finished due to age and declining form in batting as well as captaincy in PSL

Sarfraz from 2016 to 2019 was a better captain then babar, much much better.

Babar is a better batsmen by miles though.

Sarfraz post 2019 is finished due to age and declining form in batting as well as captaincy in PSL
We are talking about 2024. Some want him to be the captain when he can't even make a Psl team

We are talking about 2024. Some want him to be the captain when he can't even make a Psl team
Sarfi is finished, he should probably call retirement now, I'd like for sarfi to take more podcast roles, he seemed really good in the nadir Ali podcast.

His English is terrible but the way he speaks urdu keeps you entertained in podcasts, he could basically do something very similar to what geo sports use to do with the thanda garam show about cricket where people would just bicker and make fun and light hearted play and commentary

I'd like to see him progress in those roles now.

Is no one talking about the Bilal Afzal appointment because of his relation to the chairman or have I missed it?
Member of selection committee Bilal Afzal:

"My degree is that of an engineer. Most of the data analysts in PCB have been engineers, for example Hassan Cheema. Besides that, I've worked in strategy and finance, which revolves around data. So my whole professional career has involved taking data-based decisions."

Member of selection committee Bilal Afzal:

"My degree is that of an engineer. Most of the data analysts in PCB have been engineers, for example Hassan Cheema. Besides that, I've worked in strategy and finance, which revolves around data. So my whole professional career has involved taking data-based decisions."
Fair enough, he's defo qualified in that aspect but data driven decisions in cricket aren't the same as working for a strategy and finance department.

Doesn't this fall under nepotism? That Shadab Khan is the captain of Panthers in Champions One Day Cup 2024 and Saqlain Mushtaq, who is his father-in-law, is the mentor of Panthers.

Doesn't this fall under nepotism? That Shadab Khan is the captain of Panthers in Champions One Day Cup 2024 and Saqlain Mushtaq, who is his father-in-law, is the mentor of Panthers.
Wait Saqlain is shadab's father in law? Now it makes so much sense. I always wondered why sheddy was forwarded

yeah but its not like these players are bad. Shan is captain of Yorkshire, Azam gets big bucks in leagues. They are not duds. Its not like they are only getting gigs in Pakistan

Back