New Zealand squad named for ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
BLACKCAPS squad named for ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023

Captain Kane Williamson and experienced bowler Tim Southee will join an exclusive group of players to be selected for four or more ICC Men’s Cricket World Cups after being confirmed in the BLACKCAPS squad for the 2023 tournament this morning.

The experienced squad for the tournament which starts in India on October 5 was named this morning at an event at World Cup squad member Ish Sodhi’s old school, Papatoetoe High School in Auckland.

Williamson and Southee, who featured for the BLACKCAPS last time the tournament was held in India in 2011, are joined in the squad by six players who have been selected for the tournament for the first time.

Mark Chapman, Devon Conway, Daryl Mitchell and Glenn Phillips feature in a One Day World Cup squad for the first time having featured in T20 World Cup squads before

Allrounder Rachin Ravindra and batsman Will Young are selected in their first senior white ball World Cup squads.

The group of new players is balanced by an experienced core including Trent Boult, Matt Henry and Tom Latham who all feature in their third 50-over World Cup squads.

Latham, also named as vice-captain in the squad, will continue with the keeping gloves after taking a record-equaling 21 catches at the last event.

Lockie Ferguson, Jimmy Neesham, Mitchell Santner and Ish Sodhi are also included in the squad having first featured in England and Wales in 2019.

BLACKCAPS coach Gary Stead said it was an exciting day for all involved whether it was your first or fourth tournament.

“It’s always a special time to name a tournament team and I’d like to congratulate the 15 players selected today. It’s a great honour to represent your country at a World Cup.

“From Kane and Tim heading to their fourth tournament to the guys selected for the first time it’s always a very exciting time.”

“As with any squad named for an ICC tournament, there have been some tough calls and there will be some disappointed players.

“The key for us was finding the right balance for the squad and making sure we had our bases covered for what is going to be a very competitive tournament.”

BLACKCAPS ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Squad

Kane Williamson (c)

Trent Boult

Mark Chapman*

Devon Conway*

Lockie Ferguson

Matt Henry

Tom Latham (vc,wk)

Daryl Mitchell*

Jimmy Neesham

Glenn Phillips*

Rachin Ravindra*

Mitchell Santner

Ish Sodhi

Tim Southee

Will Young*

*First One Day Cricket World Cup selection

Stead will lead the coaching group in India with regular assistants, batting coach Luke Ronchi and bowling coach Shane Jurgensen.

The tournament will be Jurgensen’s final assignment with the team in his current role before he joins Cricket Wellington as head coach of the Wellington Firebirds. James Foster will fill the role of assistant coach for the duration of the tournament.

The BLACKCAPS squad and support staff involved in the tournament assemble from Bangladesh and New Zealand with groups arriving in India on September 26 and 27.

The squad’s first warm-up fixture is against Pakistan on the September 29 in Hyderabad.

Williamson most questionable selection in that 15.

Pace attack isn't impressive either but Milne is forever injured and they have selected the best of the remaining options.

KW is a liability in that lineup and should not start

Amazing and a great initiative from NZC

Announcement for WC Squad made by family members :)

Loved the video, what a fantastic way to announce the squad.

Best were Tim Southees children

As for the squad. This is probably the best squad squad selected. Many did not mention them as a world cup semi finalist but I believe NZ has a chance of reaching the finals.

They are taking with them 3 spinners, that is a correct decision. Ajaz patel might be in the reserves maybe.

Its India, you need spinners and NZ has there spin arsenal ready

New Zealand are confident about the fitness of one of their key bowlers ahead of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023.

Black Caps all-rounder Mitchell Santner had injured himself against England in the ongoing ODI series between the two countries. He had jarred his knee during the second ODI at the Ageas Bowl, and couldn’t play the next game.

Given that Ish Sodhi is being rested ahead of the Cricket World Cup, the absence of a full-time spinner became a concern for New Zealand. The other options: Rachin Ravindra (two overs for 28 runs without a wicket) and Glenn Phillips (eight overs for 57 runs with a wicket) struggled in the third game.

Still, New Zealand head coach Gary Stead is confident about Santner’s availability.

“Mitch had a full scan on his knee, which he landed on when he took that catch in the last game at the Ageas Bowl,” Stead said. “It's come back positively, which is good for us. He's just got quite a bit of swelling around the knee still, which they think is a joint problem. It's nothing more than that.”

While Santner’s absence is a concern, Stead was happy with the return of Trent Boult. The left-arm fast bowler has picked eight wickets on his two appearances in this tour.

“It's great to have Trent back: he brings a lot of energy and a lot of skill to the top of the order for us. In the two games he has played, he has shown his ability as a world-class player to topple England.”

ICC

Great to see Williamson back. Having him in the team would be a huge boost for them in the mega event.

New Zealand wait on experienced bowler’s fitness for the Cricket World Cup

New Zealand look to give their fast bowling ace every chance at being fit for the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023.

Tim Southee injured himself during the fourth ODI against England on 15 September when he went for a catch offered by Joe Root and dived across with both hands. But the ball hit his thumb and deflected to the third man.

New Zealand issued an update on Southee, stating that the pacer's x-ray confirmed a dislocation and fractured bone in his right thumb.

However, the Black Caps pacer remains in contention for the upcoming Cricket World Cup.

Speaking to reporters, New Zealand head coach Gary Stead stated that the decision around Southee will depend on his recovery timelines.

“We'll just need to understand the timeframes and what that looks like and once we have that information, we will then be able to move forward and make a decision."

He added that the pacer will be given every chance at proving his fitness.

“We'll want to give Tim, every chance of proving his fitness.

“There will be an element of the unknown being that it's a bone fracture, and at some stage, he will have to start catching balls and bowling again. The healing process in the next 10 to 12 days will be pretty important for him as well.”

New Zealand play a three-game ODI series against Bangladesh before heading to India for the World Cup. They'll feature in warm-ups against Pakistan and South Africa and kick off their World Cup campaign against England on 5 October at Ahmedabad.

ICC

Not looking good for Tim Southee now....

==

Tim Southee will undergo surgery this Thursday on the thumb he dislocated and fractured in the BLACKCAPS final ODI against England on Saturday.

A decision on the senior pace-bowler’s availability for the upcoming ICC Cricket World Cup in India will be made early next week once the results of the surgery are known.

BLACKCAPS coach Gary Stead remained hopeful Southee could recover in time to be available for the tournament.

“We’ve got our fingers crossed the surgery goes well for Tim,” Stead said.

“He’ll have some pins or screws inserted in his right thumb and, providing the procedure is a success, it will be a matter of ensuring Tim can tolerate the pain and manage the actual wound when returning to train and play.

“Our opening game of the World Cup against England is not until Thursday October 5 in Ahmedabad, so that would be our logical target in terms of his availability.

“Tim’s obviously a hugely experienced and important figure in our team and we want to give him every chance to be part of this World Cup campaign.”

The BLACKCAPS will play two tournament warm-up matches starting with Pakistan in Hyderabad on Friday September 29, followed by a meeting with South Africa in Trivandrum on Monday October 2.

The New Zealand-based World Cup players not on the current tour of Bangladesh will depart to India from next Tuesday.

The warmup game for the cricket World Cup 2023 between Pakistan and New Zealand at the Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium in the Indian city of Hyderabad on September 29 will be played behind closed doors, according to local media reports. Source Dawn

Tim Southee’s been cleared to join the BLACKCAPS in India later this week as he continues to progress his recovery from surgery on his fractured right thumb.

The 34-year-old senior paceman will depart to the ICC Cricket World Cup on Saturday with an aim of being available for the BLACKCAPS opening game of the tournament against England on Thursday October 5 in Ahmedabad.

As a contingency, pace-bowler Kyle Jamieson will also join the World Cup squad in India this week to train, following the BLACKCAPS current ODI series in Bangladesh.

Jamieson will not officially be part of the World Cup squad and therefore not available to play in any of the warm-up matches scheduled for Friday against Pakistan and Monday against South Africa.

The second group of BLACKCAPS players and support staff depart to India from Christchurch today.

New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson has been out of cricketing action since March this year. Williamson had been sidelined with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee. This was followed by a surgery in April.

However, the Black Caps batter made gradual progress and travelled with the side to England in a bid to keep working on his fitness.

New Zealand will hope that Williamson, their regular captain, is ready to fire on all cylinders before the World Cup. He has 6554 ODI runs with 13 hundreds at an average of 47.83. This puts him fifth on the list of all-time run-getters for New Zealand in ODIs.

Speaking prior to New Zealand's departure to India for the World Cup, Willamson stated that he’d work through the warm-up fixtures to get as much out of them as possible.

It's working through those warm-up games to get as much out of it as I can, personally and as a team, without sort of bothering too much, Williamson said.

Williamson touched upon the fact that he was still facing challenges while trying to get fit before New Zealand’s first encounter in the tournament. Having said that, there's still obviously time to go with the overall part of it and keep trying to bank on good days because the rule's pretty much helpful in terms of just moving forward with it.

Williamson added that he was gradually looking to enter game mode before the start of the tournament. The load is going to keep increasing, so there is a little bit of an unknown. But it has felt pretty good really in the last few weeks. I’m hoping it continues to feel like that. But we're definitely looking to touch on more stuff, [and] introducing myself into the game mode, which is something which we haven't had the opportunity to do.

Source: ICC

What a start by the BlackCaps.

That's the way to start a tournament and that too with Kane Williamson not playing.

Dangerous team who I think are stronger than 4 years ago.

What a start by the BlackCaps.

That's the way to start a tournament and that too with Kane Williamson not playing.

Dangerous team who I think are stronger than 4 years ago
Definitely more match winners. Tournaments depend on form and our players are in form, hopefully they can hold it.

Definitely more match winners. Tournaments depend on form and our players are in form, hopefully they can hold it.
Inclusion of Chapman and Ravindra in top order has made NZ much stronger . They looked the weakest of the Top 6 sides before this.

New Zealand captain Kane Williamson will miss his side's clash with Netherlands on October 9 but is in line to return for their third group match against Bangladesh (October 13).

The 33-year-old ruptured the ACL in his right knee during the opening match of the IPL in March.

Despite concerns he would miss the World Cup, Williamson returned to action in warm-up games ahead of the tournament, hitting knocks of 54 and 37 against Pakistan and South Africa, respectively.

Tom Latham will continue to captain New Zealand in his absence.

New Zealand Captain Kane Williamson pre-match press conference

[Reporter:]

Hi, Kane. Welcome back to India, and welcome back to cricket again. It's been a long time we have seen you. So, with you being here, it can be deemed that you will be playing tomorrow's game. So, talk us through about last few months, about your road to recovery. And I'd also like to know the status of Tim Southee for tomorrow's game.

[Kane Williamson:]

Yeah. Well, firstly, Tim's progressing well, but won't be playing tomorrow's game. Yeah, as for my recovery it's been quite a journey but largely a good one that's had some really good progress and you know I've said a number of times, really excited to be named in the World Cup squad, be sitting here now and really excited at the prospect of tomorrow, which is another big challenge for us. A new venue, new opposition, as we know, which always happens in world events. And we're looking forward to the challenge.

Does the legacy and success of All Blacks inspire you; you’re looking to win the World Cup, it remains an elusive World Cup, does it inspire you?

I mean, yeah, we love the All Blacks, you know coming from New Zealand obviously Rugby is our number one game and so I think everybody in the squad are pretty passionate about Rugby and following their journey at the moment at the World Cup and the success that they've had.

For us, yeah, I mean we've had some really enjoyable times recently and got pretty close, but you still have to start again. And there's been some good performances so far. We come to another venue where challenges could be a little bit different and so it's important to play what's in front of us and keep focusing on what gives us the best chances.

Any particular aspect of your legacy that you would like to inculcate in your team?

Yeah, I mean I haven't really spent a lot of time personally in the All Blacks environment. I think when we were growing up, we all wanted to be All Blacks and that couldn't happen so we tried something else. And we're here as a cricket team but I think something that you do hear often about their side is their culture, their environment, and their ability to keep moving forward as a team and adapting to what's in front of them, whether that's the movement of the game and how that keeps changing and evolving. And they keep doing really well at staying ahead of that curve.

So yeah, I mean we just want to keep getting better as a side, keep growing as a side and that's our focus.

Can you just talk us through your recovery and how you played the two warm up games, in terms of skill wise, batting wise, you hit the ground running, you seemed like you were not away for six months. Just talk us through the recovery journey, and what are the things that you did during your recovery so that you'd be as fresh or as ready when you came into the World Cup and in terms of post the warm-up games what are the things that you wanted to know and address, I mean is it more to do with fielding and fielding for 50 overs and things like that?

Yeah, yeah the recovery was or the rehab the whole sort of journey really with a series of really small steps and just trying to take small steps forward and it certainly started with strength and range in terms of the knee and then gradually trying to improve that and control a bit - some of the pain around it as the load increases and we could be here all day talking about it, but I'll fast forward a little bit - and great to be here and then and get involved in those warm-up games which were really, really enjoyable and then you know during those and post that were a lot of sort of return to play fitness parts which were perhaps a little bit more related to fielding, time on feet and looking to try and execute some of those skills. And so, yeah, I mean each week throughout the last period of time since I've been, I guess, rehabbing has been really important and really valuable. So, it was nice to get a little bit of that time in the last week or two and like I say, I look forward to tomorrow as a side.

Is there anything specific in terms of training that you want to avoid? Is there anything that you look for?

Yeah, largely. We have a good fielding unit, so we'll position guys where we best see fit. In terms of my positions, maybe on the odd occasion they might adjust a little bit, but largely it's feeling pretty good.

When the injury actually happened, it appeared like you might probably miss the entire tournament. We are here for New Zealand's third game, you won back-to-back. At what point did you actually get to know that you might actually make it for the tournament?

Yeah. Yeah, definitely. Initially, it was not really considered. And to be honest, it was probably a good thing just to get my head stuck into rehab and each day and not sort of rush it and that was really my focus and I was fortunate as well I had a really, really good team around me back home and also fortunate not to have a lot of setbacks during that time, so there were lots of little steps forward which I guess accumulate to being here now really and getting close and realising that if each week does keep progressing well, ticking off all those sort of milestones along the way, which there are many of them, then there might be a chance. And yeah, grateful that that was something that could be done and getting named in the squad was a really exciting moment.

In Dubai in the last [T20] World Cup, you had to deal with that niggly elbow and even prior to that I know the nature of this injury is different, the nature of this format is different but the way you manage your elbow in Dubai two years back would that sort of help you ease your way into this World Cup now?

Yeah, I mean quite, yeah quite different injuries but yeah, I suppose speaking to this one you know there were lots of quite clear steps along the way that you were trying to tick off different milestones in terms of returning to the next phases and those sorts of things. So quite different, a lot of data around it, mainly from other sports that was relied on and different strength numbers and heights and jumping and just heaps and heaps of different bits.

So yeah, quite different but yeah, just great to be sitting here now and looking forward to the challenges tomorrow.

Chennai wicket is favourable for the spinner traditionally, and Bangladesh have some quality spinners. So how threatening or challenging for you?

Yeah, I mean, we know it's going to be a big challenge tomorrow and as is every game, you know, we come into this tournament knowing that anybody can beat anybody. That makes a really exciting event I think and the conditions are always going to change. You go from venue to venue and they do vary a lot and we have seen here that there's been that spin and the pitch has varied perhaps as the games moved on as well so throughout the day - but definitely I think both teams have some good spin bowlers that no doubt will play a big part tomorrow.

For us as a team it's really just trying to keep focusing on our plans and what we set out to do and do our roles as best we can, sort of knowing that it could look a little bit different, to perhaps our first couple of games.

India is like a second home for you as every year you come here for playing IPL matches and you know the wickets here very well, so there is a discussion around that after the first two World Cup matches, you are going to face the real challenge on this tricky wicket. Is it really that tricky for you? What's your observation?

I think, not just here in India, but any country when you play, certainly world events where there are multiple games on surfaces, in quite quick succession that you do see such a variety of surfaces that you have to try and adapt to as quickly as possible.

So, from where the tournament starts to perhaps midway and towards the end, it can all look quite different.

So yeah, it's very much trying to focus on adapting as quickly as possible and sort of parking previous performances, taking some of the good and getting nice and clear that it's about starting again and looking to apply ourselves with what we have that is in front of us. And for us that's an important part of it.

Former Indian cricketer is there with Bangladesh team in charge of technical inputs. He's been there with Australia also before. So how important are these inputs? You want to plan for new venues also in this World Cup. So how does people with local knowledge matter?

Yeah, absolutely. I think local knowledge at any venue, but certainly in the country that you're in, can provide some good insight. I think all teams are trying to do as much homework as they can and tap into some of the experience that they might have in their group so it can, it can definitely add some value.

How do you see Bangladesh as an opponent in general? Obviously, it's the World Cup and every match is important here but just this time strength-wise, how do you see Bangladesh as an opponent in general?

Yeah, I mean, I think certainly in the subcontinent, they're very, very familiar with these conditions and they have a number of match winners throughout their side and I keep coming back to the fact that you turn up to world events and every year there's such a large group of teams that can all beat each other with the variety of conditions with the match winners throughout every team that are here and all the work that goes into actually getting to this tournament.

Yep, every team brings a slightly different challenge and yeah, I think it's important that as a side, it's just trying to connect with the important parts of your game as a team that you want to keep committing to, because it's a long tournament. Every game's a tough one. So, it's trying to keep applying ourselves as best we can.

Before the tournament you had like a captain's photo shoot and if I'm right, I think you're the only captain who was also captain at the 2019 World Cup. And so, how do you see ODIs as having changed since then? And lots of teams haven't actually played that much ODI cricket in these four years and including New Zealand and including yourself, especially So, how do you see the format is having changed and have you had to change your game in any way?

Yeah, I think with the number of T20 sort of World Cups that we've had, it's probably meant that there's been a lot more T20 cricket building up to those events. Yeah, I mean it probably keeps evolving a little bit and there's probably a bunch of things that still remain quite similar that you do need to still keep considering because as we know you can you can still turn up on any day and when we saw in 2019 where there were expectations that there'll be scores of 400 plus where in fact they were probably more like 250 to 260 range and so there's still a lot of adjustment and adapting to the way you play that gives you the best chance and I think every team does it a little bit differently.

All teams are trying to improve and get better and push their games forward. Does feel like it's come up quite quickly, even though it has been four years. So yeah, I mean, I think there'll be some subtle parts to it that have evolved a bit, but ultimately, I think conditions will play the biggest part in the differences that we might see when you go from a World Cup in England or Australia or New Zealand and then you come here in the in India, so they bring some natural differences for sure.

Rachin got two great innings back-to-back and how important he is for the team and when you were back in the team what is his place will be in the batting order?

Rachin? Yeah, I mean we still need to have a look at the surface in terms of the balance that we are looking at which will then certainly affect the selection - but Rachin has been a huge part of our side and had some really significant contributions in the first two and will absolutely be involved.

We had a comment from Naveen Ul Haq of Afghanistan yesterday about his retirement from the format, saying that he doesn't feel like there's an even contest between bat and ball anymore in ODI cricket, so that's a kind of thought process that a lot of cricketers have been having now, so how do you view it and what can be done in ODI cricket do you think?

Yeah, I mean I think it's important that there is that, I think we've seen it in some games and in others you know it can sort of go one way or the other. That's the changing conditions and some surfaces might be spin friendly, seam friendly, batter friendly.

I do think often in World Cups you do see a pretty good balance. I think we saw that at the last World Cup and even the one before that as well and probably the one before that and I can't remember too much past that. But yeah, I think it's important I do think that you want everybody that has a role and has a real part to play and be an aggressive option with the art that they have. So, I suppose it's an ongoing challenge.

How do you feel about the quality of the pitches in the tournament?

The World Cup pitches - Yeah, I mean we've played on two and they were really good surfaces. We played on a fresh one and then a used one and it was still really good and it was a little bit different.

I suppose we're just going to keep seeing the different characteristics of the pitches in the different parts of India, which I think is quite natural in world events. So yeah, by the looks they've been good surfaces.

Fracture confirmed for Williamson | Blundell called in as cover

An X-ray has confirmed an undisplaced fracture to Kane Williamson’s left thumb, after he was struck by a throw while running between the wickets in Friday’s match against Bangladesh in Chennai.

Williamson will remain in the BLACKCAPS ICC Cricket World Cup squad with the aim of being available for the back end of pool play next month.

Wellington Firebirds batsman Tom Blundell will travel to India as cover but will not officially be part of the squad, while Williamson rehabilitates the injury.

Coach Gary Stead said he was hopeful Williamson would still play a part in the tournament.

Firstly, we’re all feeling for Kane to have this occur after all his hard work to return from his knee injury, Stead said.

While it’s disappointing news, the initial diagnosis has given us some optimism he can still feature later in the pool play following a period of rest and rehabilitation.

Kane is clearly a massive part of our side and a world class player and captain - so we’ll look to give him every opportunity we can to return in the tournament.

Stead said Blundell’s versatility saw him selected to join the squad as cover, while Henry Nicholls wasn’t considered after suffering a mild side-strain during Canterbury’s Plunket Shield warm-up match against Otago during the week.

Tom’s been with the one-day side on tours to Pakistan and Bangladesh and performed well, he said.

He covers multiple positions in the batting order and his wicket-keeping skills are also an added bonus as a back-up.

The BLACKCAPS next game of the ICC Cricket World Cup is on Wednesday against Afghanistan in Chennai.

Tim Southee was seen bowling in the nets before the clash against India at Dharamsala.

1697885873700.png

Ross Taylor: India favourites to win World Cup no matter what happens against New Zealand

I arrived in India on Friday and it is fantastic to be here in time for what is set to be a great match between the two remaining unbeaten teams.

Of course, the fact New Zealand are one of them is particularly pleasing and I have been really impressed with how they have gone about it so far. They have played fantastically well.

The first game would have come as a bit of a surprise to some – not necessarily beating England, but the manner in which they did so.

They were put under pressure for 5-10 overs against Afghanistan but other than that, they have played some very consistent and dominant cricket.

Everyone has stood up at different stages. A lot has been made of the injuries to Tim Southee and Kane Williamson but the people who have come in have stepped up, particularly Will Young and Rachin Ravindra.

If you would have said two or three weeks before the tournament that Rachin would have been in the starting line-up, I don’t think anyone would have picked that.

He pushed himself in there with his performances in the warm-up games and even then, I don’t think people thought he would have batted as high up the order as he has.

But he’s taken his chance and he looks set to be a key part of the New Zealand side not only in this tournament, but also in the years to come.

Tom Latham has stepped up too and shown fantastic leadership. Kane is obviously a big part of the team but they have played well without him for a while through this year and they know they can win without him, which is important.

Getting off to a good start in the competition has been particularly crucial because New Zealand have a tough streak of games coming up, beginning with India on Sunday.

India in their home conditions are a different beast and they have started unsurprisingly strongly – I see them as favourites to win the competition at this stage, no matter what happens in Dharamshala tomorrow.

Jasprit Bumrah has led the attack brilliantly, Kuldeep Yadav and Ravi Jadeja are bowling really nicely and their top three have been fantastic for a long time.

You can’t expect your top three to score runs all the time but they also now seem to have found a nice combination at four and five with Shreyas Iyer and KL Rahul. New Zealand will need early wickets to put that middle order under pressure.

The crowd will naturally play a part but I think New Zealand will thrive in that atmosphere. Every time you come here, you play in front of full crowds and you know you’ll be up against it.

But at the same time, that’s what you like about playing at World Cups, you want to play in front of full stadiums and test yourself against the best. The crowds here are very vocal but very fair at the same time.

New Zealand have a strong recent record against India, having not lost this fixture at an ICC event for 20 years.

I’m not sure quite what explains why New Zealand keep beating India at these tournaments but if you talk to a lot of Indian supporters, New Zealand are their second favourite team – maybe that has something to do with it, who knows?!

Four years ago, we played them in the semi-final in Manchester and it was an iconic occasion. There was the Martin Guptill run out of MS Dhoni, the game going over two days because of the rain and ultimately, New Zealand coming out on top.

Hopefully there will be a similar result tomorrow – top of the table at the halfway stage would be a great place to be.

Source: ICC

I don't understand the lack of fans from other countries. Especially Pakistan, New Zealand and England where's the barmy army with their drums and and trumpets?

Jamieson called in as cover as Henry awaits scan results

Jamieson, who was previously with the squad as cover for Tim Southee earlier in the tournament, will arrive in Bengaluru late on Thursday ahead of Saturday’s game against Pakistan.

With Matt Henry awaiting scan results on his right hamstring and Lockie Ferguson continuing to recover from his achilles injury, coach Gary Stead said there was no option but to bring in cover.

“The severity of Matt’s injury, combined with a short turnaround to Pakistan, meant we couldn’t risk being a bowler down for Saturday,” Stead said.

“Matt’s been a world class performer for us in ODI cricket for the past two World Cup cycles so we’ve got our fingers crossed for the scan results later today.”

Stead said Jamieson was well prepared to return to India.

“Kyle’s on his way over as we speak and we look forward to welcoming him back into the group.”

“He’ll likely train with us on Friday with a mind to being available for Saturday’s game.

“Kyle was able to train for two full weeks with us earlier in the tournament and has since played a Plunket Shield match - so we’re confident he’ll be able to hit the ground running.”

The BLACKCAPS relocate to Bengaluru later today.

NZC​

The Event Technical Committee of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 has approved Kyle Jamieson as a replacement for Matt Henry in the New Zealand squad.

Jamieson, who has played 13 ODIs, was named as a replacement after Henry was ruled out due to a right hamstring injury sustained during Wednesday’s match against South Africa in Pune.

The replacement of a player requires the approval of the Event Technical Committee before the player can be officially added to the squad.

The Event Technical Committee of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 consists of Wasim Khan (ICC General Manager – Cricket and ETC Chair), Chris Tetley (ICC Head of Events), Hemang Amin (Acting CEO - BCCI), Gaurav Saxena (General Manager – Operations, BCCI), Russel Arnold and Simon Doull (Independent Representatives).

ICC​

Congratulations to New Zealand cricket team on a great World Cup campaign. They won 5 matches but they fought as hard as they could.

5 WC SF in a row for NZ, amazing achievement a real sporting Nation excellent keeping in view that's 4 continets, Caribbean Asia Ocenia Europe Asia. Fantastic

Back