New Zealand tour of India (2023)

ex-q-zit

First Class Star
Runs
Lister earns maiden BLACKCAPS call-up | Santner to lead against India

Auckland Aces left-arm swing bowler Ben Lister is set for a potential international debut after being selected in the BLACKCAPS T20 Squad to tour India later this month.

The selection is Lister’s first in a BLACKCAPS squad and it comes after he made his New Zealand A debut late last year in India, and was named Auckland Cricket’s Men’s Bowler of the Year last season.

The 27-year-old’s tour to India with New Zealand A was cut short after he was struck down with pneumonia in Bangalore. The infection saw him spend time in hospital before returning home to New Zealand to continue his recovery.

Mitchell Santner will lead the squad that features an experienced T20 core including nine players from last year’s ICC T20 World Cup squad, along with a range of players newer to international cricket.

They include Canterbury Kings all-rounder Henry Shipley fresh from his international debut in the team’s current ODI Series against Pakistan.

The squad also sees Otago Volts leg-spinning all-rounder Michael Rippon feature in a BLACKCAPS squad for the first time since his debut against Scotland on last year’s European Tour.

BLACKCAPS selector Gavin Larsen said Lister had impressed with his range of skills across the formats.

“Ben has made an exciting impact for Auckland early in his career in red and white ball cricket. Since his debut in late 2017, he is the Aces’ leading wicket taker in T20 and List A cricket.”

“His ability to swing the ball considerably as a left-armer is particularly exciting.”

“We all felt for Ben after his tour ended the way it did last year, and it’s a testament to his work ethic that he’s been able to return to domestic cricket so strongly this season.”

BLACKCAPS T20 Squad to tour India

Mitchell Santner (C) (Northern Brave)

Finn Allen (Wellington Firebirds)

Michael Bracewell (Wellington Firebirds)

Mark Chapman (Auckland Aces)

Dane Cleaver (Central Stags)

Devon Conway (Wellington Firebirds)

Jacob Duffy (Otago Volts)

Lockie Ferguson (Auckland Aces)

Ben Lister* (Auckland Aces)

Daryl Mitchell (Canterbury Kings)

Glenn Phillips (Otago Volts)

Michael Rippon (Otago Volts)

Henry Shipley* (Canterbury Kings)

Ish Sodhi (Canterbury Kings)

Blair Tickner (Central Stags)

*Potential T20I debut

Larsen noted that Mitchell Santner had impressed in his previous opportunities as captain of the T20 team.

“Mitch is a leader in our white ball teams and has captained the T20 side in India before. His experience in Indian conditions will be invaluable leading this group.”

Auckland Aces bowler Kyle Jamieson (back), Canterbury Kings bowler Matt Henry (abdominal) and Wellington Firebirds bowlers Adam Milne (side) and Ben Sears (back) were also unavailable for selection as they continue to recover from or manage injuries.

Continuing from the India ODI series Luke Ronchi will be head-coach with the squad with assistance from NZC network coaches Bob Carter (batting) and Paul Wiseman (bowling) along with Trevor Penney as fourth coach.

The T20 series against India starts in Ranchi on Friday January 27.

Henry Shipley is an interesting pick…saw his List A stats during the ODI v Pak, which is around 42😳

A bowler averaging 42 in List A cricket on bowler friendly pitches is good enough for an International call up.

India will show NZ it's right place in their home Conditions unlike Pakistan who struggle against all sides even at home and make them look unbeatable.

India will show NZ it's right place in their home Conditions unlike Pakistan who struggle against all sides even at home and make them look unbeatable.

India have declined. I think Kiwis may have a better time in India this time.

India needs more bowling options. Maybe someone who is economical and can compliment the wicket takers, Siraj and Umran.

India’s ODI squad against New Zealand: Rohit Sharma (Captain), Shubman Gill, Ishan Kishan (wk), Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Suryakumar Yadav, KS Bharat (wk), Hardik Pandya (vice-captain), Washington Sundar, Shahbaz Ahmed, Shardul Thakur, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohd. Shami, Mohd. Siraj, Umran Malik.

India’s T20I squad against New Zealand: Hardik Pandya (Captain), Suryakumar Yadav (vice-captain), Ishan Kishan (wk), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Shubman Gill, Deepak Hooda, Rahul Tripathi, Jitesh Sharma (wk), Washington Sundar, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Arshdeep Singh, Umran Malik, Shivam Mavi, Prithvi Shaw, Mukesh Kumar.

Note: KL Rahul & Axar Patel were unavailable for the New Zealand Home series due to family commitments.

I expect this to be a close series.

Playing in Pakistan recently means Kiwis are fully cooked.

If i was a betting man I would bet on NZ to win.

India’s ODI squad against New Zealand: Rohit Sharma (Captain), Shubman Gill, Ishan Kishan (wk), Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, Suryakumar Yadav, KS Bharat (wk), Hardik Pandya (vice-captain), Washington Sundar, Shahbaz Ahmed, Shardul Thakur, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohd. Shami, Mohd. Siraj, Umran Malik.

India’s T20I squad against New Zealand: Hardik Pandya (Captain), Suryakumar Yadav (vice-captain), Ishan Kishan (wk), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Shubman Gill, Deepak Hooda, Rahul Tripathi, Jitesh Sharma (wk), Washington Sundar, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, Arshdeep Singh, Umran Malik, Shivam Mavi, Prithvi Shaw, Mukesh Kumar.

Note: KL Rahul & Axar Patel were unavailable for the New Zealand Home series due to family commitments.

At last Sir Bhuvan Legend Hadlee steyn Kumar is not selected, phew - after kedar yadav and vijay shankar dude has to be one of the luckiest going around for so long.
Can anyone sya what happened to ravi bishnoi? kid is young , has zip off the wicket decent fielder and right time to play him instesad of that youtube star and non productive leech Yuzi chahal. Good to see Washi sundar make the cut. Hope jazz boom and Rav jads get well soon in time for the Aus series.

I expect this to be a close series.

Playing in Pakistan recently means Kiwis are fully cooked.

If i was a betting man I would bet on NZ to win.

No Kane Williamson so in case of middle order collapse nobody is there to steady the ship. Still expecting NZ to beat India easily.

Been ages since NZ played in India in ODI series. NZ has never won a ODI series in India in their 6 attempts much like Srilanka has never won a ODI series. This probably will be first time.

Surya will play since KL is unavailable and Sundar will play in Axar's place. Kishan should also come in place of Gill as they would need a keeper.

In the T20I squad, good to see Shaw selected. However, I thought Shreyas would be a good option at 4. Right now they have selected only Tripathi as the likely option for that spot. Hardik, Hooda and Sundar will complete 5-7.

If Latham or Conway do well in same game, NZ can win one game otherwise India should win 3-0.

If Latham or Conway do well in same game, NZ can win one game otherwise India should win 3-0.
No worries, the team will win when it matters when we face India. Like we always do.

This series is nothing more than an opportunity for our players to gain experience in these conditions and work out a plan for the WC match against India. You know, like what JAMODIS are for.

Last edited:
No worries, the team will win when it matters when we face India. Like we always do.

This series is nothing more than an opportunity for our players to gain experience in these conditions and work out a plan for the WC match against India. You know, like what JAMODIS are for.

But you haven't won Amy icc world Cup .first win as we have 2 world cup and a t20 world cup .

But this isn't WT20 that's being competed for or is it?
Meh, means little that you win these friendlies and then lose when it comes to the big stage in a proper game where wins actually are important. No?

Was that icc world cup ?? Even i don't bring ICC champions trophy as we have already won 2 times ..
World Test Championship.

NZ were crowned World Champions.

Unlike India, we didn't shamelessly add a star to the ODI jersey to reflect it like India did with their WT20 win.

Last edited:
Meh, means little that you win these friendlies and then lose when it comes to the big stage in a proper game where wins actually are important. No?
So I guess NZ should be giving us walkovers in the coming series, no?

World Test Championship.

NZ were crowned World Champions.

Unlike India, we didn't shamelessly add a star to the ODI jersey to reflect it like India did with their WT20 win.

Because its not your "hasiyat" to win any world cup .first win any World cup then talk big .not just keep your mouth **** untill win a world cup

Nz cricket boards is survived becouse of India tour . before jumping to me first check stats then discuss.

Some countries fans is so satly if they don't care about bilateral series then why they even came to play here.

So I guess NZ should be giving us walkovers in the coming series, no?
They're friendlies, results mean little.

Why do you think no one in Australia follows ODI series despite winning 5 WCs?

They're friendlies, results mean little.

Why do you think no one in Australia follows ODI series despite winning 5 WCs?
Ok, no one in Australia follows ODI series. Then why are their grounds full during ODI series when no one follows ODI series?

Surya will play since KL is unavailable and Sundar will play in Axar's place. Kishan should also come in place of Gill as they would need a keeper.

Kishan will replace Rahul in the eleven. Shubman has done nothing wrong to get replaced by a hack.

Go to any Australian SM channel and they'll tell you how little they care about JAMODI series.

The ones you see full are probably for Indian series where Indian fans show up to fill up stadiums.

Other series the attendance is pretty average at the big grounds.

Go to any Australian SM channel and they'll tell you how little they care about JAMODI series.

The ones you see full are probably for Indian series where Indian fans show up to fill up stadiums.

Other series the attendance is pretty average at the big grounds.

And WTC final is as relevant as a random Kitply Cup, only for that day. Teams only care about individual marquee series.

And WTC final is as relevant as a random Kitply Cup, only for that day. Teams only care about individual marquee series.
Certainly meant something given the reaction by Indian fans on SM.

10 -25K is Full capacity of some countries stadium
10-25k for a stadium of 50-90k is nothing to harp on about.

I've followed the Australian summer for over a decade, I've seen the crowds for ODIs.

Crowds are usually really bad for the bigger grounds, only way it isn't noticeable is if they take it out to smaller stadiums in areas which don't get many games.

Last edited:
Certainly meant something given the reaction by Indian fans on SM.

Yeah. We lost Kitply cup final as well. Was sad. For one day.

Away series win in Aus and Home series win against Eng are more relevant.

Yeah. We lost Kitply cup final as well. Was sad. For one day.

Away series win in Aus and Home series win against Eng are more relevant.
Cool.

You can keep those and we'll keep our World Championship :19:

Shreyas Iyer ruled out of 3-match ODI series

Team India batter Shreyas Iyer has been ruled out of the upcoming 3-match ODI series against New Zealand due to a back injury. He will be heading to the National Cricket Academy (NCA) for further assessment and management.

The All-India Senior Selection Committee has named Rajat Patidar as replacement for Shreyas Iyer.

India play the first ODI against New Zealand in Hyderabad on 18th January, 2023.

India’s updated ODI squad against New Zealand: Rohit Sharma (Captain), Shubman Gill, Ishan Kishan (wk), Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, KS Bharat (wk), Hardik Pandya (vice-captain), Rajat Patidar, Washington Sundar, Shahbaz Ahmed, Shardul Thakur, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohd. Shami, Mohd. Siraj, Umran Malik.

https://www.bcci.tv/articles/2023/n...out-of-3-match-odi-series?type=press-releases

Iyer not playing makes it easy for Gill, Suryakumar Yadav and Ishan Kishan also.

Rohit
Gill
Kohli
SKY
Pandya
Kishan(wkt)( unfortunately won't get to open)
Sundar( no Axar also)
Kuldeep
Shami
Siraj
Umran

Iyer not playing makes it easy for Gill, Suryakumar Yadav and Ishan Kishan also.

Rohit
Gill
Kohli
SKY
Pandya
Kishan(wkt)( unfortunately won't get to open)
Sundar( no Axar also)
Kuldeep
Shami
Siraj
Umran

Why not play kishan in the opening slot and put Gill at 4 who will still do a good job.

Why not play kishan in the opening slot and put Gill at 4 who will still do a good job.

Gill will open in ODIs. Kishan will be either backup opener or a no 5.

S Iyer is a better no.4 as he can play spin well and his strike rotation skill is good. Kishan's strike rotation is not good.

Back