New Zealand Vs South Africa | 3rd test | Wellington | March 23 - 27 , 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruri

First Class Star
Runs
Let's do this! Forget the ODIs, more tests! More Steyn! More AB de Villiers! More Gillespie!

The first session was washed out, so it's a typical NZ pitch and Test so far. Inspection of pitch right now, toss after no doubt. Great conditions for bowling first.

Cricinfo:
"12.40: Just heard that the toss will happen at 1.40pm and we will start at 2. "

Bah, 1 more hour till toss. I want some Test cricket! :(

NZ Win the toss, and will field!

Great start for the kiwis!

Some strong bowling so far, but not exceptional enough as yet.

Need snicko on that. Correct use of UDRS though, not enough to overrule. What was that sound?

Snicko shows sound before the bat, unlucky to be given out.

Looks like people have totally forgotten about this match.

SA: 447/7

Peterson and Duminy both made centuries

Styen 270 wickets from 54 games ........ he has chance of getting to 300 in 60 Matches.

If NZ bat out today without loosing wickets , they will be in good frame tomorrow.

End of Day III

New Zealand trail by 409 runs with 10 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Pretty good effort by Guptill & Flynn to hold off that SA attack.

Flynn looks 100x the batsman that Nicol is. Looking at Nicols first class & ODI performance I still cannot fathom why he was ever picked as a test opener.

Pretty good effort by Guptill & Flynn to hold off that SA attack.

Flynn looks 100x the batsman that Nicol is. Looking at Nicols first class & ODI performance I still cannot fathom why he was ever picked as a test opener.

Nicol is pretty poor. But the last memory of Flynn was in England, in a match before Trent Bridge, with missing teeth when he missed a bouncer.

NZ in danger of following on.

Changes that both Amla and Taylor are out of this match so it's down to 10 vs 10.

NZ avoid follow-on by just 1 run!

SA would be gutted by this. IMO, making NZ follow on was the only way a result could have been achieved in this test.

1-0 in the series is still decent outcome for SA, considering the rain interruptions throughout the series.

Last edited:
It will be really tricky for SA now, when should they declare?

If they declare too soon, they would risk NZ chasing the target and drawing out the Test series.

I think they should play with a 'safety-firs't approach. Rack up a huge lead then think about declaring. Even if this test is drawn, they still win the series.

An update on Ross Taylor from NZC: "NZC Medical Director Ian Murphy said: "An x-ray confirmed that Ross Taylor has a fracture of the ulna bone of his left forearm. "The break is not displaced which is a positive sign but we will see orthopaedic surgeon to determine the best course of action and length of time out of the game." Taylor is unlikely to take any further part in the match."

cricinfo

----

NZ have lost their captain...

SA 125/2

Lead by 324.

I reckon they should get to 400, then try to get NZ out in the rest of the match. It will be hard, but its possible.

I got excited when Alviro got out early, thought I was in for an Amla innings. Not sure what happened to him

If SA don't win this because they needed 5-10 more overs to get NZ out, I blame whoever made the decision to declare so late. How are NZ meant to chase even 300 in quick time on day 5 against Steyn, Morkel, Philander, Delange?

This is some pretty amazing fast bowling, Hostile and accurate. NZ 2 down for just 1 run.

Watch the highlights of Morne Morkel's bowling whenever you get time. Top class unplayable bowling. 3 yorkers 3 wickets.

Well done Morkel. But this raises a question. How are these only his 2nd five-fer despite playing 39 matches?

Just when you think Morne is weaker link among Philander and Steyn, that's when monster strike. Go for all Morne!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back