NICOP ID card - does it give you dual nationality?

Wasim_Waqar

First Class Captain
Runs
Post of the Week
I don't think it does but not sure.

NICOP or NADRA card or whatever it is- does not result in dual nationality without Pak passport does it?

So with the card, if living overseas, do you become a Pakistani citizen?

How does it work?

Help please

well theoretically you can be classed as pakistani if your parents have pakistani passports..just be aware that you can be called up for national service in time of war of need be!!

it's more in terms of visa applications

My parents don't have Pak passports anymore.

I am 'Pakistani origin' officially.

BUT with a NICOP card and UK passport is a person:-

1) Dual national?
2) Pakistan citizen?

i thought it was just for visa exemption.

my parents are dual nationals. But i decided against it.

I am still confused about this. If your parents have only foreign passports and you only have a foreign passport but all 3 have a NICOP card does that make you a dual citizen?

Secondly, if you have a NICOP card and it expires and you don't renew it what happens then?

I don't think it does but not sure.

NICOP or NADRA card or whatever it is- does not result in dual nationality without Pak passport does it?

So with the card, if living overseas, do you become a Pakistani citizen?

How does it work?

Help please

well theoretically you can be classed as pakistani if your parents have pakistani passports..just be aware that you can be called up for national service in time of war of need be!!

I am still confused about this. If your parents have only foreign passports and you only have a foreign passport but all 3 have a NICOP card does that make you a dual citizen?

Secondly, if you have a NICOP card and it expires and you don't renew it what happens then?
A passport is just a travel document. You don't need to have a passport to be a citizen. Otherwise all those Pakistanis in Pakistan who don't have passports, or Americans in America, or Brits. in the UK,... aren't citizens of their own countries!

To obtain a NADRA or NICOP card you have to prove your right to Pakistani citizenship.

India does not allow dual nationality, and has a completely distinct Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card for those foreign nationals of Indian origin, but it is not actual citizenship of India and thus does not amount to dual citizenship or dual nationality.

Last edited:
Since you can renew it anytime you wish, then the NICOP card expiring does not remove your citizenship of Pakistan. You have to formally apply to Pakistani authorities to relinquish your rights to Pakistani citizenship.

NICOP doesn't make you dual national, but having that you can stay in Pakistan as long as you want to. And you don't need visa to Enter Pakistan.
If you British passport holder(or any other county passport) and don't have NICOP, you need to apply vise for Pak and you can stay limited time ( depend on visa, 1 month/entry or 3 months/entry). After that either you apply for extension of visa ot exit Pak for 2-3 days to enter again.

NICOP doesn't make you dual national, but having that you can stay in Pakistan as long as you want to. And you don't need visa to Enter Pakistan.
If you British passport holder(or any other county passport) and don't have NICOP, you need to apply vise for Pak and you can stay limited time ( depend on visa, 1 month/entry or 3 months/entry). After that either you apply for extension of visa ot exit Pak for 2-3 days to enter again.

Sorry I mixed up things, above information is for POC (Pakistan origin card) which is issued to ppl who have have other country passports but are Pak origin.

NICOP is simple Pak ID card for Pak nationals which is issued to ppl with Pakistan passport and issued by Pak consulate in country they are living in at moment.

You don't get NICOP if you are not citizen of Pakistan.

NIC - National Identity Card - for people living in Pakistan with Pakistan passport ( if they have any)

NICOP - National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistani - for ppl living abroad and have Pakistani passport

POC - Pakistan Origin Card - for ppl holding other country passport but are Pakistan origin, with this card, you don't have to apply to vise for Pak and you can stay as long as you want ( or till card expires) . And its not dual nationality.

How can they - US immigration autorities- know you are a dual national if you use your British passport?

How can they - US immigration autorities- know you are a dual national if you use your British passport?
They take a guess. Or consult a clairvoyant. :facepalm:
Your passport lists your place of birth. Hence it's easy to deduce.

NIC - National Identity Card - for people living in Pakistan with Pakistan passport ( if they have any)

NICOP - National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistani - for ppl living abroad and have Pakistani passport

POC - Pakistan Origin Card - for ppl holding other country passport but are Pakistan origin, with this card, you don't have to apply to vise for Pak and you can stay as long as you want ( or till card expires) . And its not dual nationality.

Are you sure about this? I have a NICOP but I was born in England, am a UK citizen with a British passport, I have never had a Pakistani passport and to my knowledge I am not a dual citizen and nor would I want Pakistani citizenship.

CONFIRMATION.

Having a NICOP means you have Pakistani nationality and are a Pakistani citizen. I have personally phoned up the Pakistani embassy and consulted others and to get confirmation on this in the past. Was pretty mad at my parents for making me this card without my permission.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure about this? I have a NICOP but I was born in England, am a UK citizen with a British passport, I have never had a Pakistani passport and to my knowledge I am not a dual citizen and nor would I want Pakistani citizenship.

I am sure.
Where you apply or got NICOP?
Or you got ID card ( first)in Pakistan and renew it in UK?

You should be holding POC (Pakistan Origin Card)

Born in Uk and never had a Pakistani Passport and I too just checked and can confirm i have a NICOP card.
I only applied it as my wife has dual citizenship and was exempt for the £120 visa fees. At the time I thought it would be a good idea to get the card (my late fathers details used )so as to avoid the charges.

Guess its only a matter of time before Donny gets his act together and comes to his senses. I do not plan on travelling to the States for some time so really don't feel effected however my wife has her parents and was planning to visit sometime in July. Ridiculous decisions by Trump.

Genuine question ..Why not Saudi Arabia ?

NICOP means you are a citizen of pakistan. Why do you think NS was so afraid of changing the law allowing overseas pakistanis the vote?

It is probably better for some people to get POC's instead if you have british or american passports. You can always get a NICOP again later if required.

What is a Nicop card?
A (NICOP)National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistanis is meant for all Pakistani citizens and Dual Nationality holders in the United States. It is now a mandatory requirement for all Pakistanis working/residing abroad and Pakistanis holding dual nationality.

Some people only get NICOP because long-term it was cheaper option than having Pakistani passport or Pakistani visa.

NICOP = National Identification Card for Overseas Pakistanis

The answer lies in the acronym itself.

CONFIRMATION.

Having a NICOP means you have Pakistani nationality and are a Pakistani citizen. I have personally phoned up the Pakistani embassy and consulted others and to get confirmation on this in the past. Was pretty mad at my parents for making me this card without my permission.
On the bright side you don't need to waste time and money getting a visa to visit Pakistan.

A passport is just a travel document. You don't need to have a passport to be a citizen. Otherwise all those Pakistanis in Pakistan who don't have passports, or Americans in America, or Brits. in the UK,... aren't citizens of their own countries!

To obtain a NADRA or NICOP card you have to prove your right to Pakistani citizenship.

India does not allow dual nationality, and has a completely distinct Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) card for those foreign nationals of Indian origin, but it is not actual citizenship of India and thus does not amount to dual citizenship or dual nationality.
OCIs are allowed every right of a citizen except voting in elections and buying agricultural land.So yes its only a partial citizenship.

They take a guess. Or consult a clairvoyant. :facepalm:
Your passport lists your place of birth. Hence it's easy to deduce.

It's a legit question. If you hold a British passport, born in the UK and hold a NICOP card, how would US Immigration know you're a dual national?

It's a legit question. If you hold a British passport, born in the UK and hold a NICOP card, how would US Immigration know you're a dual national?
Firstly, if your place of birth is in Pakistan (which is indicated on your British passport), then it's fair to assume you're a Pakistani national. The mere fact that you're probably eligible to obtain a NICOP card is enough.

Secondly, by seeing on your UK passport your place of birth as being Pakistan, they could simply ask you further questions.

Thirdly, do you, as a UK citizen with a UK passport who's also registered on the NICOP database, know what information gets exchanged between British and U.S. authorities, and also between Pakistani and U.S. authorities? Usually whilst you're still in mid-flight, or actually when you perhaps even purchase your ticket never mind get to the airport to take the flight?

Do you really want to risk lying to U.S. immigration officials when you land at a U.S. airport?

And just in case you do get away with it and manage to get clearance to enter the USA, you will still want to leave and go back home at some point. Plenty of time to get further info from the UK and Pakistani authorities.

This is a long confabulated discussion to a question which answers itself in the acronym

Nicop does not give you citizenship it just allows you travel to and stay in Pakistan without visa. You dont get the right to vote but get most of the other benefits of being a citizen of Pakistan though not many.

Sorry I mixed up things, above information is for POC (Pakistan origin card) which is issued to ppl who have have other country passports but are Pak origin.

NICOP is simple Pak ID card for Pak nationals which is issued to ppl with Pakistan passport and issued by Pak consulate in country they are living in at moment.

My Son is a US National and I was able to apply for him for NICOP as my parents and my self are Pakistani Born.

My Son is a US National and I was able to apply for him for NICOP as my parents and my self are Pakistani Born.

Is he dual national himself?
There are some cases where ppl are not dual national but still holding NIC or NICOP. But later on they are facing difficulty if they had to renew it. If you son is NOT dual national then he should be holding POC which is also ID card and he can stay in Pak as lon as he want and don't require any visa while holding POC.

If he is NOT dual national then he should not be holding NICOP. You can check with Pak consulate.

NIC - National Identity Card
NICOP - National Identity Card for Overseas Pakistani - if you are working n living abroad AND have Pakistani passport, you should be holding NICOP
POC - Pakistan Origin Card - when you only holding other country passport, you are not Pakistan national anymore, so you should cancel your NICOP BUT you are still Pakistan origin, that's when you have to apply POC after cancelling your NICOP. With POC, you don't need visa for Pakistan on your passport and can stay in Pakistan for unlimited time.

Is he dual national himself?
There are some cases where ppl are not dual national but still holding NIC or NICOP. But later on they are facing difficulty if they had to renew it. If you son is NOT dual national then he should be holding POC which is also ID card and he can stay in Pak as lon as he want and don't require any visa while holding POC.

If he is NOT dual national then he should not be holding NICOP. You can check with Pak consulate.

Yes My Mistake I applied to POC not NICOP. NICOP was applied for me you are right

NICOP is obviously just the version of the NIC that Pakistanis who are now living overseas get. It is the absolute same thing and means you are a full citizen (not sure why people are denying this, even though it clearly states that on Nadra's website and of course, as mentioned, is also in the acronym). Once you have your NICOP, you can choose not to renew your Pakistani passport since a passport is just a travel document - your NICOP fulfills that purpose as well.

Yeah I mixed up Nicop with POC. I live abroad didn't get the Nicop and didn't see the point in paying Rs10k for it when can get a normal id card for few hundred rs. Earlier NIC used to be in Urdu only now days it has English and Urdu both so readable abroad as well if needed.

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker

Back