On This Day, August 22, 1992: Pakistan win thriller amid ball-tampering row

Gotham Cronie

Test Debutant
Runs
After Pakistan defeated England in the 1992 World Cup final in March, they would go on for a tour of England later that Summer. With the five ODIs split with five Tests in between, England were the first to strike, taking a 2-0 lead in the ODI series before the teams switched to the Test format.

The five match Test series went back and forth before Pakistan's victory in the 5th Test gave them a 2-1 series win.

England fought back, however, when the ODI series resumed by winning the 3rd ODI by a massive 198 runs. Having lost the ODI series 0-3, and with 2 matches to play, Pakistan rebounded in thrilling fashion to salvage some pride. Or so they thought.

After Javed Miandad won the toss at Lord's in the 4th ODI and elected to bat, Pakistan struggled to get into a rhythm. A fluent 50* off 60 balls from Miandad along with 48 off 76 from Saleem Malik got Pakistan to a total of 204/5 from their 50 overs.

Because the Pakistan innings had been delayed and was frequently interrupted by rain, England's innings carried over to the next day in a rare two day "ODI". England in their innings reached 172/5 shortly after Lunch on Day 2, requiring 33 runs with 5 wickets in hand.

That is when Pakistan's bowlers stuck. Mushtaq Ahmed was first after having Allan Lamb caught behind for 55. England recovered to 191/6, requiring 14 runs with 4 wickets in hand. Enter the two Ws. Waqar Younis bowled Richard Blakey for 25 before Wasim Akram picked up two more cheap wickets in Chris Lewis and Phil DeFreitas.

England were 193/9, having lost 3 wickets for 2 runs and still requiring 11 runs to win. They scored a further 8 runs before Waqar Younis made the final blow, shattering the stumps of Richard Illingworth in the final over.

A thriller on the field, but the action didn't stop there. Shortly after the match ended, reports came out that during the Lunch break on Day 2, umpires Ken Palmer and John Hampshire had changed the ball that Pakistan were using, citing Law 42 and pointing out the condition of the ball. Allegations of ball-tampering immediately came to the forefront and the ICC had to come out a few days later and deny any such accusations. This did not stop the English media from running with the story, however. The English angry at the umpires for not taking a bigger stand on the issue, the Pakistanis angry that the accusations weren't denied by the umpires more vehemently.

England and Pakistan didn't play another bilateral series for four years after this incident.

Was it first such incident where ball tampering allegations were made?

An excellent victory for Pakistan and really sad to see England and its press deny the skills of Waqar Younis! Also worse was to see some of the players he had played with in Surrey not come to his defence!

I remember this ODI. I was 7 and we went to a wedding on the Saturday. I remember Salim Malik playing and missing at Botham and getting stumped off Illingworth...then Inzi tried to cut a ball too close to him from the pavilion end and was caught behind off Reeve.

Javed played like a hero to get a reasonable total...Wasim Akram was blasted for a few fours by Ian Botham which infuriated me.

Aamir Sohail bowled pretty well and got Botham out stumped.

Waqar finished things off: this was conventional swing as it was too wet for reverse and Waqar duly cleaned up Illingworth to win the game :)

We weren't too fussed. We beat them in the World Cup final and the test series so this was barely relevant.

I think the most painful part for me was to watch Alec and his father Mickey who were Waqar's captain and coach at Surrey stay quiet while Waqar was accused

Well they were out for revenge after Melbourne and just couldn't take the whippings we have them in the test series. If the umpiring wasnt pathetic we would've won at Headingley too. Kenny Palmer with his shenanigans regarding the Gooch run out and all.

it was the Allan Lamb revelations in the Mirror that pushed the issue to the forefront

of course, things weren't helped by images of Aqib Javed working on the ball ("Cor, steady on")
and the mysterious ball change in the one day match.

Good victory but under controversial circumstances

Back