On This Day Jun 18, 2009: Pakistan beat South Africa by 7 runs (T20 World Cup 2009)

Khabri420

Senior T20I Player
Runs
The first semi-final of the 2009 T20 World Cup was played between Pakistan and South Africa at Nottingham. Pakistan won the toss and elected to bat. For a team that had peaked at the right time, Pakistan had their strategies all mapped out - from their batting order to their bowling combinations. A great deal of credit goes to the then captain Younis Khan who had led his team well throughout the tournament. The most significant of these moves was having Shahid Afridi come in at number 3, a strategy that paid its dividends.

Shahid Afridi was the highlight of Pakistan's innings scoring a quickfire 51 off 34 balls, which included four consecutive boundaries off of Johan Botha. Although South Africa scaled things back somewhat, Pakistan still managed to post a competitive score of 149, setting South Africa 150 to win.

In response, South Africa started cautiously but failed to keep up with the scoring rate. Mohammed Amir got rid of an out of sorts Graeme Smith to give Pakistan their first breakthrough. In the next over, Shahid Afridi got through Herschelle Gibbs' defense and cleaned him up. In his following over, Afridi really turned around things in Pakistan's favor by getting rid of the in form of AB de Villiers as he played on.

Pakistan kept things relatively tight and maintained the pressure on the South African batsmen. Jacques Kallis and JP Duminy at one stage looked to be taking the game away from Pakistan, but Pakistan striked back with wickets at key stages.

The margin of victory for Pakistan was only 7 runs, much closer than many would have thought. Afridi was given Man of the Match, as expected for his all-round performance and Pakistan had moved on to the final of the T20 World Cup.

105037.jpg

Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/wt202009/engine/current/match/356015.html

Ah, T20, Lala's dream game. But nowadays he isn't even good at that

I remember I was visiting Pakistan this Summer and we were all praying that we didn't hit loadshedding!

Ahh, excellent memories!

I was coming back from school that day and in the car, my dad put the radio on to listen to the updates. He was driving fast so that we can get home to watch the final few overs. We were just about to park the car in our basement, and we heard the guy on the radio shout "Aur catch le liya Shoaib Malik ne!". We then rushed home to see the replay of that Malik catch, onwards. :)

Ahhhhhhhhhh, Good times :(
I remember it was nearing the end of the school year and I came home early to watch the match.
I was graduating Elementary school
And 4 years later, look what happend.
And now I am graduating high school

Things are suppose to get better with time, but with Pakistan it's completely opposite! Things get worse.

I was there, can't describe the atmosphere in nottingham that day. There was not one pakistani who believed we would lose, we felt it was our destiny to win and alhamdullilah we were succesful. A highlight for me was the south africans jogging past the stand i was in while we all chanted chokers! haha got right in their heads. At the half way stage we felt that SA fought well to restrict us to 149 but even then our bowling attack would have too much for them, umar gul was phenomenal at the end bowling those yorkers under immense pressure. Incredible memories, a summer i will never forget.

LOl is till remember loadshedding hogai the last over chal rha tha :D Final ball n commentrator said Pakistan in finals firing start and everyone was dancing <3

Memories :(

yeah great memories. he was on fire at that time. perfect time to retire and he missed it. :p

Re: On This Day Jun 18, 2009: Pakistan beat South Africa by 7 runs (T20 World Cup 200

I was there. A day I will never forget. Amazing atmosphere to go with an amazing performance from the men in green, especially Afridi of course.

On This Day Jun 18, 2009: Pakistan beat South Africa by 7 runs (T20 World Cup 2

I will always love Malik for that catch of Kallis.

A total skier with grey clouds, right on the boundary rope with Pakistani fans shouting on his back, he took it under extreme pressure.

The moment that won us trophy.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, Good times :(
I remember it was nearing the end of the school year and I came home early to watch the match.
I was graduating Elementary school
And 4 years later, look what happend.
And now I am graduating high school

Things are suppose to get better with time, but with Pakistan it's completely opposite! Things get worse.

I'm graduating from elementary school, and we got whopped in the CT. Now hopefully when I am graduating from high school, we'll win a trophy of some sort (Test Championship)!

It's a game I'll never forget. The atmosphere, the passion the performance simply amazing!!

The roar of the crowd when Malik caught Kallis was out of this world. Every ball was an event.

I will always love Malik for that catch of Kallis.

A total skier with grey clouds, right on the boundary rope with Pakistani fans shouting on his back, he took it under extreme pressure.

The moment that won us trophy.

and noise after that catch in the stadium was immense. Gul's yorker on that day were great and unplayable

Thanks Afridi for this great moment.

Match-winners provide efforts like these.

I remember at the time thinking YK produced a huge booboo by only giving gul 3 overs. The one over from fawad alam really got me nervous.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/OnThisDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#OnThisDay</a> in 2009. It was the Shahid Afridi show as Pakistan beat South Africa by 7 runs to reach the World Twenty20 final. Afridi scored 51 off 34 balls and took 2 for 16 from 4 overs, including the important wicket of AB de Villiers <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Cricket</a> <a href="https://t.co/Socn5BAf7S">pic.twitter.com/Socn5BAf7S</a></p>— Saj Sadiq (@SajSadiqCricket) <a href="https://twitter.com/SajSadiqCricket/status/1538080787555287040?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 18, 2022</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Back