Outrage over rapes in India

JeeraBlade

First Class Captain
Runs
In 'rape capital' Delhi, 330 cases in 4 months

The national capital seems to be finding it difficult to shed the image of being India's 'rape capital', with over 330 rape and molestation cases reported in the first four months of this year.

According to official figures, 121 cases of rape were registered so far this year while approximately 210 incidents of molestation were reported from various parts of the city.

Eight minors were among the 14 women raped in the city this month, which prompted the Parliamentary Committee on Women and Child Development to summon Delhi Police Commissioner Y S Dadwal and ask him to submit a report on cases of crime against women in the recent past and the action taken by the police.

"We have arrested the alleged rapists in over 90 per cent of the cases. In majority of the cases, persons well known to the victims were behind the crime," a senior police official said.

In 98.28 per cent of the 581 rape cases registered last year, the accused were known to the victims and had been interacting with the victims in the normal course of life.

While 658 rape cases were reported in 2005, the figure fell to 49 the next year. The number of molestation cases were 762 and 713 for 2005 and 2006 respectively, while last year, 835 such incidents were reported.

The Delhi police attribute the incidents of rape to a number of sociological factors, including 'mushrooming of JJ clusters and sub-human living conditions'. An analysis of rape cases in 2007 by the Delhi police said that 68 per cent of the rape accused were illiterate while 24 per cent had only studied up to Standard 10. Approximately 80 per cent of the accused belong to the poor strata.

"Of all the cases last year, 64 per cent were committed in houses and five per cent in slums," the Delhi Police Annual Report for 2007 said.

"Poor civic amenities, sub-human living conditions, inadequate housing facilities and mushrooming of JJ clusters are few of the sociological factors contributing to the increased tendencies in general and incidents of rape in particular," the report said.

"In JJ clusters, the entire family lives in a small area devoid of any privacy, which affected family taboos and moral barriers," it said.

A two-and-half year-old girl was the youngest rape victim this month, while two minors were sexually assaulted in a moving car, including one in which a traffic police constable was arrested along with his property-dealer friend.
The red-faced Delhi police immediately dismissed Sanjeev Rana, the constable who also tried to allegedly bribe the victim's family to drop the case, from the service.

In another shocking incident, a rape victim was publicly thrashed by family members and neighbours of the accused. A mentally-challenged girl, who is deaf and dumb, was allegedly raped by a bus driver.

A teenaged boy, who was arrested for allegedly raping a minor girl, escaped from police custody in north-west Delhi this month.

In other cases, a 40-year old woman was allegedly gangraped on April 16 by four men, including her husband's friend, in a moving car. A day later, unidentified men barged into a house in north Delhi, raped a 26-year-old woman and fled with valuables.

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/apr/29rape.htm

Atleast it gets reported in Delhi, the situation is almost the same in cities of Pakistan, the only difference is that the corrupt police pushes such things under the carpet.

How disgusting :pissed: :po: !!!! I reckon they have got to get hold of this quickly otherwise who knows what Delhi turns out to be :9: .

Vegitto1 said:
Atleast it gets reported in Delhi, the situation is almost the same in cities of Pakistan, the only difference is that the corrupt police pushes such things under the carpet.

How do you know that? I have lived in Lahore for a long time and don't know about it. How long have you lived in Lahore?

W63L35 said:
How do you know that? I have lived in Lahore for a long time and don't know about it. How long have you lived in Lahore?

exactly,,,trust me in a city like lahore or islamabad if women were getting raped in these numbers many would know about it...and it would come out in the public...we have a problem in some rural areas, and it would be interesting if we had any figures etc!

the Great Khan said:
exactly,,,trust me in a city like lahore or islamabad if women were getting raped in these numbers many would know about it...and it would come out in the public...we have a problem in some rural areas, and it would be interesting if we had any figures etc!

The thing is whenever there is a thread on India, it has to be re-directed to Pakistan!

I have stayed in Delhi for five years and I can say that its not a safe place for women....unless you are staying in a posh area. The situation has gotten worse in the last five years. Delhi police is the most corrupt in India. They should take a leaf out of Bombay police and start getting organized.

credit to mumbai police for crime control , but don tell me they are not corrupt ..yeah from wat I have heard about the city , its not really safe for women!

Delhi is the pits. They need to introduce public flogging in that sorry excuse for a city.

I have lived there for more than a decade and hate it more every time I revisit.

RAPE IN SOUTH AFRICA

Rape is an occurrence which, according to official statistics occurred approximately 16,000 times annually during the 1980s. By 1992 the official figure for rape was 24,700.4 unofficially, based on the premise put forward by the National Institute of Crime Rehabilitation that only one in twenty rapes are reported, the figure is about 494,000 a year.

This means that on average approximately one thousand three hundred women can be expected to be raped a day in South Africa.

A study by Interpol, the international police agency, has revealed that South Africa leads the world in rapes.

A woman was raped in South Africa every 17 seconds. This did not include the number of child rape victims. It was estimated that one in every two women would be raped.

Between 28 and 30 percent of adolescents reported that their first sexual encounter was forced.

Of South African men who knew somebody who had been raped, 16 percent believed that the rape survivor had enjoyed the experience and had asked for it. According to a recent study police estimated that only one in 36 rape cases was reported and of those only 15 percent culminated in a conviction.

My GF studied in Delhi and says its very unsafe for women.. but there are some redeeming qualities as well - multi-culturalism and good oppurtunities in many fields - being two.

I think one problem could be that desi kids are a sexually repressed lot.. maybe if pre marital sex weren't a taboo, guys wouldn't go bonkers over the hint of a female nipple and try to bang every cute chick against her will.. In the west we dont see guys rushing to rape every woman who is wearing short clothes or bikinis do we ?

Also, morality at the top needs to be pruned up.. as the saying goes - "As the king does, so do the subjects".. if our ruling class is not moral enough and itself involved in corruption, so will the people.

Sadly rape is on the increase all over the world and it's also one of the most under reported crimes. Especially in places like the subcontinent where a lot of emphasis is placed upon the chastity and virginity of women whilst the men are free to do as they please. It's because of this attitude that women are scared to tell anyone and even when they confide in family the family often do all they can to try and stop them reporting it in order to safeguard their false 'honour' in the community.

Indian and Pakistani films that I've seen (rape is a common occurrence in these films) always show a raped girl doing the 'honourable thing' and killing herself which is disgusting and unbelievably irresponsible! Growing up as a kid I thought that was what rape victims were supposed to do because it's not a subject that was explored or explained in my education or by my family and so until I was mature enough to fully appreciate what rape was and that the woman was innocent I thought raped women were supposed to commit suicide!

Another obstacle faced by women in Pakistan is that if they report a rape they can end up being prosecuted for zina (fornication) or adultery under the Islamically incorrect hudood laws!

Whatever colour we are, whatever race we're from, whatever religion or ethnicity we come from. There is one thing all us men have in common!

In general as a gender we treat women like shit.

Last edited:
Mercenary said:
Sadly rape is on the increase all over the world and it's also one of the most under reported crimes. Especially in places like the subcontinent where a lot of emphasis is placed upon the chastity and virginity of women whilst the men are free to do as they please. It's because of this attitude that women are scared to tell anyone and even when they confide in family the family often do all they can to try and stop them reporting it in order to safeguard their false 'honour' in the community.

Indian and Pakistani films that I've seen (rape is a common occurrence in these films) always show a raped girl doing the 'honourable thing' and killing herself which is disgusting and unbelievably irresponsible! Growing up as a kid I thought that was what rape victims were supposed to do because it's not a subject that was explored or explained in my education or by my family and so until I was mature enough to fully appreciate what rape was and that the woman was innocent I thought raped women were supposed to commit suicide!

Another obstacle faced by women in Pakistan is that if they report a rape they can end up being prosecuted for zina (fornication) or adultery under the Islamically incorrect hudood laws!

Whatever colour we are, whatever race we're from, whatever religion or ethnicity we come from. There is one thing all us men have in common!

In general as a gender we treat women like shit.

well said merc bhai

sadly nothing is being done about this in the sub continent. really saddens and depresses me. without the female race where would we be. rape is an act which must have the death penalty as its punishment. really sad and sickening :( :(

switchblade said:
My GF studied in Delhi and says its very unsafe for women.. but there are some redeeming qualities as well - multi-culturalism and good oppurtunities in many fields - being two.

I think one problem could be that desi kids are a sexually repressed lot.. maybe if pre marital sex weren't a taboo, guys wouldn't go bonkers over the hint of a female nipple and try to bang every cute chick against her will.. In the west we dont see guys rushing to rape every woman who is wearing short clothes or bikinis do we ?

Also, morality at the top needs to be pruned up.. as the saying goes - "As the king does, so do the subjects".. if our ruling class is not moral enough and itself involved in corruption, so will the people.

lol, i thought a women in the US gets raped every 3 minutes or something? or am I totally wrong...i dont think it matters wether its the west or the east...rape is about power and dominance...it is always the signs of a diseased society and in this case world society...we treat our women like cattle, so what do you expect? and i mean all men...and we bombard our children with sexual imagry from a young age so they see sex as a tool!!..for pleasure and for dominance!...its pathetic!

Four men have been sentenced to death for the fatal gang rape of a 23-year-old woman on a bus in Delhi.

A judge said Akshay Thakur, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh Singh should be hanged after they were convicted of the brutal attack.

In his 230-page judgement, Yogesh Khanna said the severity of the crime meant it fell into the "rarest of rare" category, telling the men: "We cannot turn a blind eye towards such a gruesome crime. There cannot be any tolerance.

"The victim was tortured to the end. There is a zero tolerance in society for such a crime."

Thakur, 28, Sharma, 20, Gupta, 19, and Singh, 26, lured their victim and her male friend onto the bus last December before raping the woman, assaulting her with an iron bar and dumping her on the roadside with her friend.

She suffered serious internal injuries and died in hospital in Singapore 13 days after the attack, which triggered violent protests across India.

Source: SKY News

Heinous act but I don't believe in capital punishment.

Fully deserved and will hopefully act as a deterrent to those thugs who think its ok to do this sort of thing.

No one deserves death penalty for rape... But its a case rape brutality and murder... It will be overturned in High Court on legal grounds

Re: Delhi gang rape- 4 sentenced to death

Actually i feel all rapists should be buried alive. Why give them a quick death at all?

Right punishment but does EU have any influence on India like they want Pakistan to stop the capital punishments

Should have been given a custodial sentence instead of the death penalty but still, good to see something being done. If someone gets raped in Paksitan, the court basically gives them the legal equivalent of 'pics or it didn't happen' and on top of that, you get charged for committing adultery/fornication.

Last edited:
Good verdict. They deserve it after what they did to the girl. It was not just rape, but the brutality of it and finally trying to run them over by the same bus was beyond monstrosity.

But will it act as a deterrent for the future rapists? I doubt it. Change needs to come in the society and family structure from the root level. As long as women are seen as subordinate and weaker sex, these incidents will continue to pop up every now and then.

The verdict was given by a fast track court and it took them 9 months. Just imagine all the rape cases that are pending in regular courts. Will take decades and nothing will happen.

I don't really mind this decision, but a lot of sentences in India to me seem more like a crowd pleasing effort.
Are we being consistent with handing out such sentences in similar cases where media is not so heavily involved ?? I am not too sure...

Should have been given a custodial sentence instead of the death penalty but still, good to see something being done. If someone gets raped in Paksitan, the court basically gives them the legal equivalent of 'pics or it didn't happen' and on top of that, you get charged for committing adultery/fornication.

This case has only been resolved quickly due to the media interest. Most rapes in India, Pakistan or around the world are not even reported let alone prosecuted so ranting about Pakistan again because you don't like the fact it's an Islamic republic is only making yourself look silly....again. hic.

Death penalty is the justice the parents of the victim wanted.

Nobody is going to be hanged sooner. This judgement will be first challenged in the High court and then the Supreme court and then there will be option of Presidential Clemency.

Give it 5 more years.

I am not big on death sentence except in case of terrorists who cause multiple deaths but these perps really tortured the girl after raping her so i have no complaints.

This case has only been resolved quickly due to the media interest. Most rapes in India, Pakistan or around the world are not even reported let alone prosecuted so ranting about Pakistan again because you don't like the fact it's an Islamic republic is only making yourself look silly....again. hic.

Death penalty is the justice the parents of the victim wanted.

It got media coverage because the people came out in massive numbers to demand justice for a wronged party. What this shows is a nation that has a conscience and has started to recognize it's rights.

Now this is where Pakistan comes in. A 5 year old kid was abducted and gang raped today in Lahore. Now here's how things will proceed if Pakistani law is followed: The prosecution will have to produce 4 pious Muslim male witnesses to back their case and just to sweeten the deal, DNA evidence is not admissible in a Pakistani court of law for rape cases. Absent that, the men walk free because that is the minimum burden of proof to prosecute a rape in Pakistan and as we all know, all rapists make sure that there are 4 pious Muslim males around to witness them commit their act and the worst thing is that the Pakistani nation does not have the empathy, the conscience to come out and demand answers of those who enacted such a law and not just that, a majority actually supports this kind of law with rabid calls for further Islamization of the legislative and penal framework of the country.

tanzeel;6098077[B said:
]It got media coverage because the people came out in massive numbers to demand justice for a wronged party. What this shows is a nation that has a conscience and has started to recognize it's rights.[/B]

Now this is where Pakistan comes in. A 5 year old kid was abducted and gang raped today in Lahore. Now here's how things will proceed if Pakistani law is followed: The prosecution will have to produce 4 pious Muslim male witnesses to back their case and just to sweeten the deal, DNA evidence is not admissible in a Pakistani court of law for rape cases. Absent that, the men walk free because that is the minimum burden of proof to prosecute a rape in Pakistan and as we all know, all rapists make sure that there are 4 pious Muslim males around to witness them commit their act and the worst thing is that the Pakistani nation does not have the empathy, the conscience to come out and demand answers of those who enacted such a law and not just that, a majority actually supports this kind of law with rabid calls for further Islamization of the legislative and penal framework of the country.

kia baat hei bro :bow:

Indian judiciary need to setup more fast track courts for the trail of rape cases.Life imprisonment should be the least punishment for rapes

Now those b@$t@rds are going to appeal in highcourt.if it takes this much time for such a contraversial case to give justice,then God save other rape victims.i want that juvenile also to be hanged,he is no better than the other 4.

Now those b@$t@rds are going to appeal in highcourt.if it takes this much time for such a contraversial case to give justice,then God save other rape victims.i want that juvenile also to be hanged,he is no better than the other 4.

Calm down my frnd.. :kapil

This is not the only case that has happened in Delhi..
Daily there are about 2-3 such cases being reported and many which are not, also even more cruel tortures than this 'specific case'

Have you ever thought while those many other cases being ignored but this being so much of emphasized ??

I was not only refering to Delhi.the same gangrape incident occured in Mumbai and Mangalore even after all this uprising.these rapists should be given such kind of punishments that these kind of pigs will never even dare to think about rape.Indian law is too kind on them by just giving capital punishment.these guys are not having even an ounce of pain that those victims suffered.

completely agree with you sis.

Coming back to my senses,i just want to clarify that the 4 witnesses claim is not at all related to rape.its about a men who accuses a women of adultery or fornication.
Surah An-nur,verse no 4,"those who launch a charge against chaste woman(of adultery/fornication) and not produce 4 witnesses (to support their allegations),flog them with 80 stripes and reject their evidence everafter,they are the sinners."

Last edited:
Coming back to my senses,i just want to clarify that the 4 witnesses claim is not at all related to rape.its about a men who accuses a women of adultery or fornication.
Surah An-nur,verse no 4,"those who launch a charge against chaste woman(of adultery/fornication) and not produce 4 witnesses (to support their allegations),flog them with 80 stripes and reject their evidence everafter,they are the sinners."

Thank you...

Mizoram: Two BSF jawans allegedly rape Chakma tribal woman, pour acid on her face

An act of sheer brutality has come to light involving Border Security Force (BSF) jawans posted at Silsury Border Out Post (BOP) along India-Bangladesh borders in Mamit district of Mizoram.

On 16th July, a tribal woman named Dangubi Milebo Chakma (name changed), d/o Prada Ranjan Chakma of Silsury Village was waylaid and gang raped allegedly by two BSF personnel from Silsury BOP when she along with another Chakma tribal woman went to the forests to collect bamboo shoots. While Rangabi Chakma, w/o Karna Chakma escaped, the two BSF personnel allegedly raped Dangubi Milebo Chakma.

The brutality did not stop at that. When the victim resisted rape, the accused BSF personnel allegedly poured acid on her face (photo above). She suffered serious injuries on her face including her eyes.

The whereabouts of Rangabi Chakma is still unknown.

After the victim managed to reach her village and narrated her ordeal, the Village Council authority immediately informed the police.

The villagers held a protest in front of the Border Out Post of Silsury against the BSF on 17th July and demanded that the accused be identified and handed over to the police. The villagers also demanded that the BSF should help the villagers to find out the missing woman.

On 17th July, the Sub Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) from West Phaileng rushed to Silsury to investigate the case. The victim Dangubi Milebo Chakma in her statement to the SDPO reportedly told that she was raped by two BSF personnel who then rubbed a cloth filled with acid on her face.

As per sources, the rape and acid attack victim was taken to the hospital for treatment but her medical report has not been released as yet.

The Mizoram Police is investigating the case but has failed to arrest the accused BSF personnel.

https://www.theapolitical.in/human-...gedly-rape-chakma-tribal-woman-pour-acid-face

Just like other similar cases the Indian Jawans will be let off scotch free.

When will these acts stop?

Rape victim writes letter to PM Modi, CM Adityanath in blood; seeks action against accused

The victim, who belongs to Rae Bareli district, was a first year student in a private engineering college in Barabanki district.

An 18-year-old rape survivor has written a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in her blood seeking security for her family and action against the accused, who have allegedly been putting pressure on her to withdraw the case. According to the police complaint filed by her father, she was raped in February last year.

In her letter dated January 20, the survivor, who had dropped out from an engineering college, wrote: “Kindly save me and my family…police are taking no action and accused is troubling us in various ways to withdraw FIR. Please take strict action before I take my life.” In her letter, she also alleged that her attacker’s father was employed in a government office.

The rape case was lodged against Divya Pandey and Ankit Verma in March 2017. A chargesheet had been filed against both, but no arrests were made as the accused obtained a stay against arrest from the Allahabad High Court, said police.

The survivor, who is from Rae Bareli district, was a first year student in a private engineering college in Barabanki district before dropping out around three months ago. Her younger sister, a Class XI student in Rae Bareli, also stopped going to school around the same time after a fake Facebook profile was allegedly created in her name and her morphed obscene pictures were uploaded on it last October. A case was lodged in this regard in Rae Bareli the same month, said police.

The girl’s father, who works as a clerk in a government department, alleged that Divya Pandey used to harass his elder daughter when she stayed in her college hostel. “Pandey used to force my daughter to go out with him and had assaulted her publicly on campus when she resisted his advances,” he added.

“On February 27 last year, Pandey and his friend Ankit dragged my daughter inside a car outside campus and took her to Ankit’s flat in Lucknow where she was thrashed and raped by Pandey. They snatched her phone too,” he further claimed.

An 18-year-old rape survivor has written a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath in her blood seeking security for her family and action against the accused, who have allegedly been putting pressure on her to withdraw the case. According to the police complaint filed by her father, she was raped in February last year.

In her letter dated January 20, the survivor, who had dropped out from an engineering college, wrote: “Kindly save me and my family…police are taking no action and accused is troubling us in various ways to withdraw FIR. Please take strict action before I take my life.” In her letter, she also alleged that her attacker’s father was employed in a government office.

The rape case was lodged against Divya Pandey and Ankit Verma in March 2017. A chargesheet had been filed against both, but no arrests were made as the accused obtained a stay against arrest from the Allahabad High Court, said police.

The survivor, who is from Rae Bareli district, was a first year student in a private engineering college in Barabanki district before dropping out around three months ago. Her younger sister, a Class XI student in Rae Bareli, also stopped going to school around the same time after a fake Facebook profile was allegedly created in her name and her morphed obscene pictures were uploaded on it last October. A case was lodged in this regard in Rae Bareli the same month, said police.

The girl’s father, who works as a clerk in a government department, alleged that Divya Pandey used to harass his elder daughter when she stayed in her college hostel. “Pandey used to force my daughter to go out with him and had assaulted her publicly on campus when she resisted his advances,” he added.

“On February 27 last year, Pandey and his friend Ankit dragged my daughter inside a car outside campus and took her to Ankit’s flat in Lucknow where she was thrashed and raped by Pandey. They snatched her phone too,” he further claimed.

He also said he suspect that the accused was behind his younger daughter’s fake profile as his elder daughter’s mobile phone was in their possession and they would have obtained the pictures from it.

The girl’s father said that his daughter had complained to college authorities, but no action was taken. After his younger daughter’s photos were uploaded, he filed a police complaint, on the basis of which a case was lodged on March 24 at Barabanki’s City Kotwali police station on charges of rape and under the Information Technology Act against Divya Pandey and Ankit Verma.

Station House Officer, City Kotwali (Barabanki) Raj Kumar said, “Chargesheet against both accused has been filed in court. They were not arrested as both have procured arrest stay from Allahabad High Court.”

“The Facebook account on which objectionable photographs were uploaded is not active anymore. A letter has been sent by Rae Bareli’s superintendent of police to the Facebook headquarters in California seeking details of the account. We are yet to receive their response,” said Additional Superintendent of Police (City), Rae Bareli, Shashi Shekhar Singh. “Four policemen have been deployed for security at her house,” he added.

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/rape-victim-writes-letter-to-pm-modi-yogi-adityanath-in-blood-seeks-action-against-accused-5036807/

Last edited:
Would it not be better to give the rape victim a name so at least people of the district could relate to it? Hiding the identity probably helps the perpetrator more than the victim as anonymity will result in less public interest.

Would it not be better to give the rape victim a name so at least people of the district could relate to it? Hiding the identity probably helps the perpetrator more than the victim as anonymity will result in less public interest.

Making the identities of rape victims in the subcontinent public is a good way to have them face even more harassment. Victim blaming and victim shaming are the default responses of subcontinental societies to someone getting raped. India and Pakistan aren't Sweden where the victim will receive sympathy for her ordeal.

Making the identities of rape victims in the subcontinent public is a good way to have them face even more harassment. Victim blaming and victim shaming are the default responses of subcontinental societies to someone getting raped. India and Pakistan aren't Sweden where the victim will receive sympathy for her ordeal.

I was thinking back to the famous Delhi bus rape of 2012 which sparked public protests once it became world news. Also the rape and murder of Zainab Kasuri in Pakistan which also triggered protests. I'm sure there is victim blaming and shaming mixed up in there, but there is also revulsion, and that needs to be tapped into if there is going to be any progress.

This is culture in UP where these so called gundas of college treat girls like objects.. It wouldn’t surprise me if these people are friends with or actually part of some political parties youth wing.. Police is so inept in UP that it’s not even funny, total power culture.. Unless you are rich and powerful UP/Bihar is the worst place for your daughters to grow..

I would take Arab laws/punishment in UP any day in respect to women rights which would act as a deterrent when your hand will be cut if you lay it on any women.. But unfortunately nothing will happen and you will keep hearing such stories as long as you live..

I was thinking back to the famous Delhi bus rape of 2012 which sparked public protests once it became world news. Also the rape and murder of Zainab Kasuri in Pakistan which also triggered protests. I'm sure there is victim blaming and shaming mixed up in there, but there is also revulsion, and that needs to be tapped into if there is going to be any progress.

India is a country filled with people of backward mentality, You just can’t name the victim.

I don’t know the exact number but everyday a rape happens somewhere in India, some get reported some do not, some are news some do not come in news, fact is India is just not a safe country to live in for women.. The mindset of people is pretty disturbing and sickening in relation to women..

India is a country filled with people of backward mentality, You just can’t name the victim.

I don’t know the exact number but everyday a rape happens somewhere in India, some get reported some do not, some are news some do not come in news, fact is India is just not a safe country to live in for women.. The mindset of people is pretty disturbing and sickening in relation to women..

Naming a victim of sexual abuse is forbidden by law in India.

When will Indian men have the guts to ask out a woman and take it like a gentleman if she rejects him?

The backward mentality of men in India is appalling. Hope the girl gets the justice and the rapists are put behind bars permanently.

Due to this backward mentality, nobody wants to have a girl child in that part of the country. Which parent wants to go through these kind of situations? Identify the rapists, shame them in public and put them behind bars forever.

When will Indian men have the guts to ask out a woman and take it like a gentleman if she rejects him?

The backward mentality of men in India is appalling. Hope the girl gets the justice and the rapists are put behind bars permanently.

Due to this backward mentality, nobody wants to have a girl child in that part of the country. Which parent wants to go through these kind of situations? Identify the rapists, shame them in public and put them behind bars forever.

Here's another story and I've heard of similar incidents happening in India.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...xual-assault-vegas-detroit-flight/1002838001/

Four men found guilty of the gang rape and murder of a woman on a bus in Delhi in 2012 are due to be executed in the next few days, following a Supreme Court decision to reject an appeal by one of them.

Indian courts continue to hand down death sentences for the most serious crimes, although no executions have been carried out since 2015.

Other nations have much higher rates of capital punishment than India, with four countries accounting for most of the recorded executions in 2018.

But globally, the number of executions has been falling, and last year saw the fewest in a decade, according to the human rights group Amnesty International.

What crimes does India punish with the death sentence?
Most death sentences were imposed for murders, and murders involving sexual violence, at 45 and 58 respectively in 2018.

In India, these sentences can been be handed out under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (1860).

There are also 24 other state and central laws which contain provisions for the death penalty.

Getty Images
Death sentences in India
Imposed in 2018

murder with a sexual offence

45murder alone

17murder with robbery

16murder with rioting

10murder with abduction

9sexual assault against girls under 12

Source: National Law University in Delhi
Since independence in 1947, the majority of executions have been carried out in Uttar Pradesh state, according to the National Law University in Delhi.

That state has executed a total of 354 people, with the next highest number being Haryana with 90, and Madhya Pradesh with 73 executions since independence.

The data shows that in 2018 alone, the courts imposed 162 new death sentences - 50% more than the previous year and the highest in nearly two decades.

Death sentences since 2009
Source: National Law University in Delhi
The number of death sentences handed out by courts in India in 2018 for murders involving sexual violence jumped by 35% from the previous year, driven partly by changes in legislation.

In contrast, more than 250 death sentences were known to be handed out in Pakistan last year, and there were more than 229 in Bangladesh.

But globally, there were slightly fewer death sentences recorded in 2018 than in 2017 - 2,531 against 2,591.

Who executes most people globally?
Amnesty International, which campaigns against the death penalty, says 690 executions were known to have taken place last year, a drop of more than 30% compared with 2017.

In 2018, nearly 80% of all recorded executions took place in just four countries:

Iran
Saudi Arabia
Vietnam
Iraq
In a rare official comment, Vietnam confirmed in November last year that it had carried out 85 executions. In previous years, Vietnam has not revealed the number of executions.

The Asia Pacific region saw a more than 46% increase in the number of executions last year compared with 2017, largely down to the figures from Vietnam. Japan executed 15 people, Pakistan at least 14, and Singapore 13. Thailand also resumed executions for the first time since 2009.

And in the US, for the second year in a row, there were slightly more executions than the previous year - 25 compared with 23 in 2017.

But there are some caveats to the figures:

They do not include China, where Amnesty believes thousands are executed, but the statistics are kept secret
The war in Syria means it is not possible to confirm if executions were carried out there
There is little or no information available from either Laos or North Korea
Amnesty says its figures for the use of the death penalty are therefore likely to be an underestimate.

Who has most people on death row?
There are limitations to the data and it is not available for every single country.

The largest number known about in 2018 was in Pakistan - more than 4,864 cases. Research by a Pakistani rights group this year said that the average prisoner spends 10 years on death row before any appeal gets to the country's top court.

There were more than 1,500 people on death row in Bangladesh, Amnesty International says.

India had 426 people on death row at the end of last year, according to National Law University data. More than half of these were convicted of murder, and a further 21.8% of murder with rape.

There are also large numbers on death row in the US - 2,654 people - and Nigeria had more than 2,000.

By the end of 2018, more than half of all countries had abolished the death penalty in law or in practice - up from 47% a decade ago.

In 2018, Burkina Faso abolished capital punishment, and both Gambia and Malaysia declared official moratoriums on executions.

The US state of Washington declared the death penalty unconstitutional, bringing to 20 the number of US states that have abolished capital punishment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50811366

No one deserves death penalty for rape... But its a case rape brutality and murder... It will be overturned in High Court on legal grounds

What nonsense. Every rapist deserves a death penalty regardless of whether it was brutal or not.

Delhi bus rape: Indian court issues death warrants

An Indian court has set an execution date for four men convicted of the 2012 gang-rape and murder of a student in the capital, Delhi.

Akshay Thakur, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh Singh were sentenced to death by a fast-track court in 2013.

Their 23-year-old victim died from her injuries 13 days after she was raped and assaulted on a moving bus.

Lawyers for the men, who are due to be hanged on 22 January, plan to launch last-ditch legal challenges.

The men cannot be executed until the Supreme Court rejects their final challenge, and the Indian president also rejects their mercy petitions. They are yet to file either.

At Tuesday's hearing, the public prosecutor urged the court to go ahead and issue a death warrant - he argued that not filing the appeals was a delaying tactic.
The victim's mother - who has previously questioned why the process has taken so long - welcomed the news on Tuesday.

"I am very happy that the court has issued death warrants for all the four convicts today," she told the BBC. "We have fought the legal battle with a lot of patience for the last more than seven years.

"I finally get justice."

The incident - which happened on the night of 16 December 2012 - sparked massive protests, global outrage and led to India passing new anti-rape laws.

The victim was dubbed Nirbhaya - the fearless one - by the press, as she could not be named under Indian law.
Six men were arrested for the attack. One suspect, Ram Singh, was found dead in jail in March 2013, having apparently taken his own life. Another, who was aged 17 at the time, was released in 2015 after serving three years in a reform facility - the maximum term possible for a juvenile in India.

India rarely carries out death sentences - only four other people have been executed since 2004. The last man to be executed was Yakub Memon, who was convicted of financing the deadly 1993 Mumbai bombings. He was hanged in 2015.
Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-51016604

4 men convicted of the gang rape and murder of a student in Delhi in 2012 have been hanged

Four Indian men convicted of the gang rape and murder of a student in Delhi in 2012 have been hanged.

Akshay Thakur, Vinay Sharma, Pawan Gupta and Mukesh Singh were sentenced to death by a trial court in 2013.

The four were hanged in the capital's high-security Tihar prison in the first executions in India since 2015.

The victim died from her injuries days after being raped by six men on a moving bus. The incident caused outrage and led to new anti-rape laws in India.

The 23-year-old physiotherapy student was dubbed Nirbhaya - the fearless one - by the press as she could not be named under Indian law.

Six people were arrested for the attack. One of them, Ram Singh, was found dead in jail in March 2013, having apparently taken his own life.

Another, who was 17 at the time of the attack, was released in 2015 after serving three years in a reform facility - the maximum term possible for a juvenile in India.

In the last few months, all four convicts filed petitions in the Supreme Court in a bid to reduce their sentences to life imprisonment. But the top court rejected their petitions, leaving the men with no other legal recourse. A last-minute appeal to have the death penalties commuted was also rejected hours before the executions.

Minutes after the convicts were hanged on Friday morning, the victim's mother said, "I hugged my daughter's photograph and told her we finally got justice."

Her father said that his "faith in the judiciary had been restored".

Security was tight outside the prison with a large number of police and paramilitary personnel deployed to maintain law and order.

A group of people carrying placards had gathered outside the prison gates and began celebrating after the executions were announced.

Some chanted "death to rapists" and waved posters thanking the judiciary.

What happened to Nirbhaya?

The student boarded an off-duty bus at around 20:30 local time on 16 December 2012 with a male friend. They were returning home after watching a film at an upscale mall.

The six men, who were already on board, attacked the couple, taking turns to rape the woman, before brutally assaulting her with an iron rod. Her friend was beaten.

They were then thrown out onto the roadside to die. Some passers-by found them naked and bloodied and called the police.

Two weeks later - after widespread protests that demanded India to reckon with its treatment of women - the victim died in a hospital in Singapore, where she was taken for further treatment after her condition deteriorated in a Delhi hospital.

Has India become safer for women?

A short answer to that question would be: No.

And that's because despite the increased scrutiny of crimes against women since December 2012, similar violent incidents have continued to make headlines in India.

And statistics tell only a part of the story - campaigners say thousands of rapes and cases of sexual assault are not even reported to the police.

I personally know women who have never reported being assaulted because they are ashamed, or because of the stigma associated with sexual crimes, or because they are afraid that they will not be believed.

Some say strict punishment, swiftly delivered, will instil a fear of the law in the public mind and deter rape, but experts say the only permanent solution to the problem is to dismantle the hold of patriarchal thinking, the mindset that regards women as being a man's property.

Until that happens, how do women and girls in India ensure their safety?

How did India react to the crime?

"Wake up India, she's dead," screamed one newspaper headline, announcing her death.

The horrific crime triggered a firestorm of protests in India, in ways that had not really been seen before.

The capital came to a standstill as protesters occupied the main streets. Authorities even temporarily closed some Metro stations in a bid to stop people from gathering.

Thousands of furious protesters - mostly young women and men - still turned up at India Gate in the centre of the city, prompting police to use water cannons to disperse the crowds.

Protests continued in Delhi and several other cities for a fortnight, the number of days it took the victim to succumb to her injuries.

The Delhi government tried to halt rising public anger by announcing a series of measures intended to make the city safer for women: more police night patrols, checks on bus drivers and their assistants, and the banning of buses with dark windows or curtains.

The attack became an inflection point, galvanising a national debate on the treatment of women.

Public outrage over the crime mounted again in 2015 when the BBC broadcast a documentary called India's Daughter which included an interview with one of the convicts who blamed the victim for what happened to her.

In India, the documentary caused a big enough stir that resulted in the film being banned. Television news channels that were supposed to broadcast the film ran a blank screen instead.

What were the new anti-rape laws that followed the incident?
Reacting to the massive protests, India announced new anti-rape laws in March 2013.

They prescribed harsher punishments for rapists and addressed new crimes, including stalking, acid throwing as well as spying on a woman when naked or circulating her pictures without her consent.

They also expanded the definition of rape to state that the absence of physical struggle didn't equal consent.

Also, under the new laws, a repeat offender of rape or rape that causes coma could be given the death penalty.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-51969961

Last edited:
The mental agony that they must have went through with hopes rising and falling....rising and falling....only for the inevitable to happen.

Not to mention the thrashings they must have received.

8 years of torture for what they inflicted on the poor girl.

They were SOBBING the last night and someone was called to read passages from the Gita.

You can run as much as you want baby....but Karma will follow you to your next birth too if needed.

You can fool the world but you can't fool God....and your Karma. :)

The mental agony that they must have went through with hopes rising and falling....rising and falling....only for the inevitable to happen.

Not to mention the thrashings they must have received.

8 years of torture for what they inflicted on the poor girl.

They were SOBBING the last night and someone was called to read passages from the Gita.

You can run as much as you want baby....but Karma will follow you to your next birth too if needed.

You can fool the world but you can't fool God....and your Karma. :)

Finally these mosters have been hanged. I still remember this case as if this happend yesterday and all the details are planted in the brain and have disturbed me. This case and the case of little Zaynab really made my blood boil.

There are many many cases like these which we never hear about, so thoughts and empathy goes to them as well. Cruel people are everywhere.

Finally these mosters have been hanged. I still remember this case as if this happend yesterday and all the details are planted in the brain and have disturbed me. This case and the case of little Zaynab really made my blood boil.

There are many many cases like these which we never hear about, so thoughts and empathy goes to them as well. Cruel people are everywhere.

Yeah many monsters lurk.

The disturbing part is that had these people just raped her and didn't torture her, they would have been mostly alive.

They were too brutal so they were hanged.

finally a good news from India after very long time

World will not miss them. They lived for 8 more years after the act they committed. That itself shows the terrible state of Indian courts. In such cases, appeals should be rejected right away.

World will not miss them. They lived for 8 more years after the act they committed. That itself shows the terrible state of Indian courts. In such cases, appeals should be rejected right away.

Well it dragged on far too long because they kept appealing.

Worth watching Delhi crime on Netflix regarding this.

7 years before they were hung. That's a long time.

Well done India. Hopefully this will be the norm, not just because this case made world headlines.

Why did it take 8 years? That's insane.

Could've executed them much earlier.

Well done though.

Wow this happened 8yrs ago? Only seems like yesterday.

Good riddance. Justice served.

Pity about the 'juvenile' going scot free due to some outdated laws. It's said that he was the most brutal in entire gang of monsters.

A 13-year-old girl has been raped and murdered in India.

Her body was found in a sugarcane field in northern Uttar Pradesh state, police said on Saturday. Two neighbours in the village have been arrested.

Police have denied the father's account that his daughter had had her eyes gouged out and her tongue cut.

Rape and sexual violence have been under the spotlight in India since the 2012 gang rape and murder of a young woman on a bus in the capital, Delhi.

That attack led to huge protests and changes to the country's rape laws, but there has been no sign of crimes against women and girls abating.

According to recent crime figures, every fourth rape victim in India is a child. In an overwhelming number of rape cases, the victims know the perpetrators.

The latest incident occurred late on Friday in Pakaria village in the Lakhimpur Kheri district, police said.

The family went searching for their daughter after she failed to return from a toilet break out in the fields.

They say they found her body mutilated.

But police said the post-mortem examination had concluded that she had died from strangulation after being raped - but not that her eyes had been gouged out or that her tongue had been cut.

"There were scratches near the eyes, likely due to the sharp sugarcane leaves where the body was found," police spokesman Satendra Kumar said.

A senior member of the Opposition Congress Party, Jitin Prasada, condemned the attack as "saddening".

"The inhuman act with a girl has put humanity to shame," he said, according to the Times of India newspaper.

The incident comes months after the case of a six-year-old girl who was abducted outside her home in Madhya Pradesh state and raped.

The attacker inflicted severe injuries to the child's eyes, in an apparent attempt to stop her identifying him.

In February, a 25-year-old man was arrested for allegedly raping a five-year-old girl on the premises of the US embassy in Delhi.

In November last year, the gang rape and mur

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53799036der of a 27-year-old vet in the southern city of Hyderabad also made global headlines and triggered protests.

Back