Pakistan v England | 1st Test | Multan | October 7-11 | Pre-Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
THe bowling attack tells me its a flat 500 par score phatta

England will decimate this pathetic bowling attack
Why they didn't went with noman i thought they will go with pitch that turn with multan heat pitch is likely to turn.

Never understood why they would start a test match on Monday. They could have easily started on a weekend to attract more viewers. Talk about poor planning :facepalm:

Well rizwan has this series to prove me wrong

To his credit, he's made me change my mind a little bit.
Lol at changing your mind a little bit. I mean is that even a thing?

Is there any batter in the Pakistan test squad who meets your criteria?

Lol at changing your mind a little bit. I mean is that even a thing?

Is there any batter in the Pakistan test squad who meets your criteria?
You seem to be gloating a lot because of performances against Bangladesh

Rizwan wasn’t even in the top 10 batters of the Pakistan cup a week later

Have no expectation from this team who lost 2 consecutive test matches against a minnow team in home conditions.
Even if they win 3-0, it will not justify their ultimate and absolute failure in previous series.

Abrar might actually pick a few wickets because England will go after him. He seems that kinda bowler to me
But when will be He pick-up wickets is very important.

England definately target him so he need to be ready .what is ground dimension of Multan stadium?

England Captain Ollie Pope speaking during a press conference ahead of the 1st Test match against Pakistan:

"He's still got that real hunger and desire to play a lot more test cricket, which is brilliant for us."

"He's been working hard on his game to try and find different ways of taking wickets on different surfaces."

"Any side was going to miss Jimmy Anderson but at the same time, we've seen this summer that guys can step up and fill in for him.”

"Chris Woakes, the skills that he's got probably operating at a fairly similar pace, he's been working hard on his skills so he can step up and be that real leader of the attack."

"We've obviously got Gus Atkinson off the back of a really hot summer. A bit of extra pace with him and Brydon Carse too. So I think we've got the skill set to fill that gap that Jimmy's left.”

"Obviously, it's never going to be easy, but it's going to be a great opportunity for those guys to learn and to bowl in some different conditions and use their pace and their skills."

"We know their style but at the end of the day it's about what we need to do to counter that," Shan said.”

"I think that clarity shows in our playing XI, which was chosen after considering the opposition and the conditions here.”

"We believe this set of players give us our best chance against England."

“I was kind of just learning on the job. Obviously my first time captain abroad. Ben’s going to be around as well… so I can listen to the voices around me but still keep doing things in my way.”

“Everyone’s so happy to have Leach in and around the squad for this series. We obviously saw how well he bowled last time here on pitches that (are) always offering a great deal ... and he’s worked closely with Shoaib Bashir throughout his Somerset career and those guys go really well.”

Last edited:
This the the eleven I went with based on the squad selected.

If Shan wasn't skipper I would of had Fakhar opening with Saim and ABD one down.

You seem to be gloating a lot because of performances against Bangladesh

Rizwan wasn’t even in the top 10 batters of the Pakistan cup a week later
Answer the question. Is there any batter in the current Pakistan’s test squad who meet yours and Baba Saigol’s criteria.

Answer the question. Is there any batter in the current Pakistan’s test squad who meet yours and Baba Saigol’s criteria.
What’s Saud Shakeel to you guys? He’s better than Rizwan. He’s better than Babar too at the moment

Multan is also a big "bat first" wicket. Very difficult to chase the game here. Huge toss coming up for Shan.

Enlgand will go for a result if its phatta with their bazball approach...

Last time same mistake they prepped a phatta and went for a draw , surprised by the bazball approach and England made a clean sweep... the only team to go for a draw from day 0 lol and end up being clean swept by the opposition what more can be said :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

England played it smart by giving their main bowlers a break, knowing Pakistan would dish up a flat track. all they need is couple of batters sticking to the crease to get the job done

He has played enough to have an influence on the game.

Spinners (even if they are half decent) only get better the more you trust them and keep playing them. He is the most experienced spinner in this match
Experienced yes and agreed about more you trust them. But when was the time he rang thru any side on the 4.5 - 5th day?

I ca'nt recall any....
As an Indian fan - i feel Moeen was much more of a thorn for us, he used to get bagfuls of wickets vs us...

How many "in form" players do we have in this XI?
Zero but I think Hamza has been better than Shaheen in tests as of late

Mir hamza isn't a bowler who will you a game with a spell or take a 5 fer.

He is a workhorse.

Shaheen all round game offers more and stiffens up the lower order.
Shaheen doesn't have that ability nowadays, maybe 3 years ago

Also very generous to put an 'all round' tag on him, he can score quick 20s at the max

So Pak made just one change from the team that got clean swept by Bangladesh at home. :ROFLMAO:

That too an injured player coming back into the team. Wow!

I think this series will determine Naseem’s future. He has been expected to deliver for a long time but hasn’t done so yet. This series could either make or break him completely.

Oh so that mir the trundler hamza 120kph slower than female cricketers is not playing.

I was looking forward to see him getting phainty of his lifetime.

Nonetheless looking forward to see Ben duckett play. He is the most exciting test batsman in the world right now.

Whole of Pakistan's team is awful only rizwan is the one who makes this test team on merit.
All others have been awful and have done nothing of late.

Both are analyzing the pitch, but let's see who has a better understanding – whose team will be successful on Day 1

9f0Th5l.jpg

So Pak made just one change from the team that got clean swept by Bangladesh at home. :ROFLMAO:

That too an injured player coming back into the team. Wow!
We have a very inexperienced side. Babar is most experienced with 54 tests. Next is Rizwan with 32 is next I think.
If we keep discarding players after every series we'll end up with a side full of rookies.

I feel that Rizwan will do really well in this series because his LOI captaincy is pretty much on the line, he would definitely use this as an opportunity to put his name forward...

All the batsman had a very poor outing in the last series, so each one of them would be wanting to prove a point , cement their places... Babar after resigning from captaincy knows will be dropped if no performance in this series, it would be good for him if he focus on his batting rather than captaincy... In Pakistan captaincy will always come back as long as they continue to perform..

Also in the bowling department Shaheen and Naseem cant play the fatigue card for their poor show..

Aamer Jamal and Abraar havent cement their places yet... So there is something to prove for everyone after the Bangla wash even the coaching staff, they cant back players if poor form continues...

Both are analyzing the pitch, but let's see who has a better understanding – whose team will be successful on Day 1

9f0Th5l.jpg
Day 1 doesnt matter , long standing problem for Pakistan is doing well in consecutive sessions and keeping up the momentum.. they do well in patches, say sessions and thats it finish, remaining days they just doze off..

We have a very inexperienced side. Babar is most experienced with 54 tests. Next is Rizwan with 32 is next I think.
If we keep discarding players after every series we'll end up with a side full of rookies.
better to play with rookies if the experienced folks with 50 tests struggling to score a 50 for 16+ inns

Hurraira and Kamran Ghulam are two good test additions continues to warm the bench... Especially Kamran Ghulam with the form he is in last 2-3 yrs, continued to be sidelined... NO chance whatsoever..

better to play with rookies if the experienced folks with 50 tests struggling to score a 50 for 16+ inns

Hurraira and Kamran Ghulam are two good test additions continues to warm the bench... Especially Kamran Ghulam with the form he is in last 2-3 yrs, continued to be sidelined... NO chance whatsoever..

This is how they killed careers for a number of them.. they pick them in the squad during their purple patch to warm the bench and carry drinks, after a while when they are rusty and not in rhythm will take them to SENA pitches and after 3-4 poor shows they will thrown away and that player gets rotten in domestics..

Its a strategy for those top brass and the lahorites to kill careers of players from other parts of the country especially batters....

This is how they killed careers for a number of them.. they pick them in the squad during their purple patch to warm the bench and carry drinks, after a while when they are rusty and not in rhythm will take them to SENA pitches and after 3-4 poor shows they will thrown away and that player gets rotten in domestics..

Its a strategy for those top brass and the lahorites to kill careers of players from other parts of the country especially batters....
Don't think dropping both babar and Rizwan immediately is going to help us.
Babar will be dropped if he fails for 5-6 more tests and Rizwan also after 8-10 tests because he's putting runs on the board which is good enough to keep his place.
Saud Saim Salman three newcomers have been given chances not like we haven't been trying new players

on bais of hype and his over-hyped stylish shots.
on what basis did they decide Jamal & Naseem's fitness is good enough for a Test in these temperatures & they do not need a 5th bowling option ? PAK is playing for a DRAW which is losers mentality . 1 bowler limps out & Abrar & Agha will end up bowling 60 overs between them if not 70 !!!

9f0Th5l.jpg
nothing to analyze , it's a ROAD & host have shot themselves in foot with this kind o pitch & pathetically defensive team selection .

England 'realistic' about Pakistan - McCullum​

Coach Brendon McCullum said England are “realistic” about the challenge in Pakistan, despite their recent success here and the hosts’ awful run of form.

England won 3-0 in Pakistan in 2022, the first time any visiting side had achieved such a clean sweep in this country. That series forms part of Pakistan’s 10-match winless run on home soil.

The tourists are without injured captain Ben Stokes for the first Test in Multan, beginning on Monday (06:00 BST), and only one of their trio of pace bowlers – Chris Woakes – has played a Test in Asia before.

As has become the norm for England, they have not played a warm-up game, with the home summer only finishing last weekend at the conclusion of the white-ball series against Australia.

“We go in with high hopes,” McCullum told BBC Sport. “There will be no excuses whatsoever if we don’t get where we need to get.

“We’re also realistic this is going to be a tough series, because Pakistan in their own conditions, as history would suggest, it’s a tough ask.”

Either side of a 10-year hiatus from playing on home soil following an attack by gunmen on the Sri Lanka team in 2009, Pakistan lost only two out of 13 home series.

But a 1-0 defeat by Australia in early 2022 began their winless run, the second-longest they have ever gone without a win in a home Test.

England can expect different conditions to their last trip, when the weather was cooler and the pitches flat. Now, temperatures in Multan for the first two matches in the three-Test series are around 36 degrees and the pitch is expected to be slightly green.

A key part of England’s win here two years ago was the performance of their seamers, but of the three that took part, James Anderson has since retired, Ollie Robinson has been dropped and Mark Wood is injured.

Now they have Woakes, who has not played an overseas Test in more than two years, Gus Atkinson, who not played an overseas Test at all, and Brydon Carse on debut.

Anderson has been acting as England's fast-bowling consultant since he ended his playing career in July, but is not arriving in Pakistan until day two of the first Test after playing in the Dunhill Links pro-am golf tournament.

And McCullum is "not worried" to initially be without the experience of England's all-time leading wicket-taker.

"Jimmy has been a great resource for us," said the New Zealander. "But prior to that we didn’t have a pace-bowling coach as such.

"In the world we live in, communication is easy. Jimmy is in constant communication with the guys. I don’t think it’s a big issue."

England also continue to be without Stokes, who will miss a fourth consecutive Test since injuring his hamstring in early August. Asked on Saturday if he will be fit for the second Test, starting in nine days, the all-rounder said he was “not sure”.

Ollie Pope will again deputise for Stokes and said he is “mentally ready” should he need to lead on the rest of the tour.

And Pope suggested that once Stokes is fit to play, it will be as an all-rounder, available to bowl.

“With those hamstring injuries it’s a bit more about setting off – the biggest risk comes with batting, when you set off for a quick single, or turn and go for two,” said Pope.

“His bowling will be fine when he does come back. Whenever he is fit to play, I’m sure he’ll be fit to bowl as well.”

Pakistan, coached by former Australia bowler Jason Gillespie, have included Aamer Jamal in their XI after the all-rounder recovered from a back injury. He will form a three-pronged pace attack with Shaheen Shah Afridi and Naseem Shah.

Shan Masood has lost all five Tests since he was appointed captain last November, including a 2-0 series defeat at home by Bangladesh in August.

“There is a lot of hurt within the players,” said Masood. “This year, 2024, has not been a good year for Pakistan cricket all over and we like to see our fans happy.

“The answer is to be positive. We let the past go. We have tried to maintain consistency in selection. We haven’t had any chopping and changing because we have lost a few games.

“We believe in this set of players and with Jason Gillespie we wanted to create a squad mentality. The players are being backed to turn things around.”

His runs are soft but Rizwan’s are not apparently
One must same criteria for all players when evaluating their performance. It would be fair to criticize Saud as an Asian track bully despite his impressive batting average of 56. However, dismissing him as a king of soft runs while hailing Rizwan is double standards.

Ok i will keep an eye on the king of soft runs Saud Shakeel.
Saud is a soft scorer sure, Just like Abdullah he's capitalised on bashing sri lanka and in wc warmup he capitalised on bashing rubbish bowling from the likes of darly mitchell and Warner bowling as both teams decided to troll Pakistan.

How is that any different from Rizwan who's also riding his entire career on bashing sri lanka in odi, and making soft runs in test and t20?

This pakistani team is not consistent at all. They can surprise on a given day with a spectacular performance but can also fail miserably (beyond anyone’s imagination and prediction) on just next day.
Test cricket is not suited for these coward inconsistent low profile highly egoistic players of pakistan

Rizwan scores tough runs? Useless runs? What are his runs?

55* against Canada, what’s that?
The problem is that if Pakistan gets bowled out for less than 100 tomorrow, you and Baba Saigol would be rapping an Anti Riz song. The fact that your beloved dwarfy Saud & No-look Saim also failed would mean nothing to you guys.

Be fair in your criticism, and you will get more supporters on this forum.

The problem is that if Pakistan gets bowled out for less than 100 tomorrow, you and Baba Saigol would be rapping an Anti Riz song. The fact that your beloved dwarfy Saud & No-look Saim also failed would mean nothing to you guys.

I'd rather swallow Windex Spray over receiving your support.

Why would I care about supporters on this forumn? People only support you as long as you're saying things that they wish to hear.

That's how humans are in general. I say things as is, and I only get supported when said things happen to match up with people's claims.

However I say things like they are and many times they don't match up with people's viewpoint and hence the knives are out.

Not my fault.

The whole be fair in your critism is total non sense. That nonsense mantra applies to you not to me?

Where was this so called be fair in your criticism when you mentioned chacha shpuld bat higher yet I exposed such filth as soon as chacha failed at the top and then promoted himself down despite being captain of the final game?

Why did you make an excuse?

Don't bring this nonsense with me when everyone word that comes out of your mouth translates to "Rizwan and chacha good, rest bad"

I'd rather swallow Windex Spray over receiving your support.

Why would I care about supporters on this forumn? People only support you as long as you're saying things that they wish to hear.

That's how humans are in general. I say things as is, and I only get supported when said things happen to match up with people's claims.

However I say things like they are and many times they don't match up with people's viewpoint and hence the knives are out.

Not my fault.

The whole be fair in your critism is total non sense. That nonsense mantra applies to you not to me?

Where was this so called be fair in your criticism when you mentioned chacha shpuld bat higher yet I exposed such filth as soon as chacha failed at the top and then promoted himself down despite being captain of the final game?

Why did you make an excuse?

Don't bring this nonsense with me when everyone word that comes out of your mouth translates to "Rizwan and chacha good, rest bad"
Again you go off topic by bringing chacha in this thread. You do the same thing by bringing Riz in a thread which is about leg spinners.

You need to learn to answer the question.

Imagine telling me that my criticism isn't fair?

Im so sorry that I hate a fraud who displaced an opener in t20 deapite said opener beating full strength Australia twice in t20 and getting that no 1 rank in the first place, all because Misbah who crushed the t20 side during his captaincy and was forced to retire felt that It was a great idea to quote on quote establish Consistency at the top of the order even though t20 is Cricket's most inconsistent format?

I'm so sorry that I hate a fraud who displaced a succesful no 4 allrounder in odi simply because he wasnt happy about no 5 spot only so he could fail left and right but in typical fashion just like Abdullah shafiq secure his spot for the next 200 years by bashing Sri lanka while flunking everything else

Im so sorry i hate a fraud in test who consistently nukes the tail 24/7 despite liton das, steve smith and many others showcasing how its actually done even though Rizwan bats at 6 and is suppose to know how to bat with the tail since its likely he'll and the no 7 will bat at said no the most? But no lets admire his 171 and 51 which lost the game completly ognoring how he collapsed the tail into pieces while ignoring what das was doing?

so so sorry

Again you go off topic by bringing chacha in this thread. You do the same thing by bringing Riz in a thread which is about leg spinners.

You need to learn to answer the question.
Lol, you asked me to be fair in my criticism and I'm asking you why you aren't fair in yours? Amd this is the rubbish response you come with up? Hypocrisy knows no bounds

Imagine telling me that my criticism isn't fair?

Im so sorry that I hate a fraud who displaced an opener in t20 deapite said opener beating full strength Australia twice in t20 and getting that no 1 rank in the first place, all because Misbah who crushed the t20 side during his captaincy and was forced to retire felt that It was a great idea to quote on quote establish Consistency at the top of the order even though t20 is Cricket's most inconsistent format?

I'm so sorry that I hate a fraud who displaced a succesful no 4 allrounder in odi simply because he wasnt happy about no 5 spot only so he could fail left and right but in typical fashion just like Abdullah shafiq secure his spot for the next 200 years by bashing Sri lanka while flunking everything else

Im so sorry i hate a fraud in test who consistently nukes the tail 24/7 despite liton das, steve smith and many others showcasing how its actually done even though Rizwan bats at 6 and is suppose to know how to bat with the tail since its likely he'll and the no 7 will bat at said no the most? But no lets admire his 171 and 51 which lost the game completly ognoring how he collapsed the tail into pieces while ignoring what das was doing?

so so sorry

Lol, you asked me to be fair in my criticism and I'm asking you why you aren't fair in yours? Amd this is the rubbish response you come with up? Hypocrisy knows no bounds
Lol do you even realise we are discussing test cricket here, not t20?

Lol do you even realise we are discussing test cricket here, not t20?
Lo do you even realise that that I talked about all 3 formats and just talked about test cricket in said paragraph? Just ignore the first 2 para's and read the 3rd one if you have such an issue.

Now who's avoiding the question? Go on discuss it? Respond to what I said in the 3rd paragraph?

Rizzu fans have zero understanding of test, T20 and odi cricket.

I'm not suprised since Misbah fans are the exact same.

Misbah fans have no idea about odi or t20 cricket. In terms of test cricket they only understand fundamentals like bowling, Batting, When to declare, what field sets etc.

When it comes to test batting, they have no clue.

Pak cricket and it's fans are 3 decades behind any other top team in the world.

It's an easy fact to grasp that you don't give your tail 90% of the strike in test when the goal is to survive and stick it out and try to close or generate the lead as much as possible.

In the 1st test if pakistan was collapsing, then waste time and bide it and aim for a draw. Das bided his time perfectly.

Because Saud and Saim play in the Pakistan team on merit and not because of strings being pulled behind to keep him in there.

You can all forget or try to make people forget the nonsense upon which Rizwan was shoved down our throats, a decision which has essentially destroyed Pakistan cricket.

My motto: NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET, NEVER ALLOW IT TO BE FORGOTTEN!

You will suffer me!

If the pitch is another road then you have to laugh at the dumbness.

How dumb can you be?

Same tactic resulted in a 3-0 clean sweep by Eng.

Just a bit of twitch in batting order required
1) shaan masood
2) saim ayub
3) Abdullah shafique
4) Babar
5) saud
6) agha salman
7) Rizwan
8) kamal
9) naseem
10) shaheen
11) spinner

Because Saud and Saim play in the Pakistan team on merit and not because of strings being pulled behind to keep him in there.

You can all forget or try to make people forget the nonsense upon which Rizwan was shoved down our throats, a decision which has essentially destroyed Pakistan cricket.

My motto: NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER FORGET, NEVER ALLOW IT TO BE FORGOTTEN!

You will suffer me!
So if a player gets picked on merit and they fail, you will not criticise their failure, no matter what.

Ok lol.

So if a player gets picked on merit and they fail, you will not criticise their failure, no matter what.

Ok lol.
What planet are you responding from? Does Babar get criticism for no reason by me? Does Shaheen and Naseem get unwarranted criticism by me?

Saud has been failing in odi, and in test he's been just okayish. Saim hasn't made a mark in international.

^^ When did I disagree? Or act like their all time greats? Why are you all projecting yourself onto me?

I'm not the one making statements such as

- Rizwan is an atg all format keeper ans the best atg all format keeper in the world

- Rizwan has been treated like an outsider and mistreated by pakistan cricket team

either you all have amnesia and the memory of a gold fish, or you're just dishonest.

The whole

- We don't have anyone else
- Name a better wk batter in pak
- Look at his shiny 171 not out in test are topics that I have done to death.

All my explanations are their in full detail yet still the same repetitive nonsense?

What can I say ?

I cannot remember in my lifetime Pakistan cricket sinking as low as this. Even after the 2009 Lahore attack and 2010 spot-fixing scandal, you could still identify some fantastic players that could form the nucleus of a decent team.

Now, if the Champions Cup wasn't sufficient proof, the cupboard is bare in every department.

The only hope I have is a combination of incredibly low expectations and injuries/retirements in the England camp may result in a more competitive series than 2022. And even in 2022, we should've salvaged a draw in Pindi and a win in Multan against a stronger English side.

I want us to just forget about "creating a brand of cricket" or trying to produce a Coke Zero version of Bazball. Even after 150 years, the basics of cricket hasn't changed. Hit a consistent line and length. If a ball's there to be hit, then hit it. Respect the good deliveries. Take your chances in the field. Sri Lanka just beat England in their last Test. They're not Waugh's Invincibles.

If we're going down as a cricket nation (as we seemingly are), please go down with a fight. Don't spit on the legacies of your predecessors who put Pakistan on the world map with another meek surrender, or in the faces of the fans who despite everything will still wake up tomorrow morning to watch.

Saud has been failing in odi, and in test he's been just okayish. Saim hasn't made a mark in international.

^^ When did I disagree? Or act like their all time greats? Why are you all projecting yourself onto me?

I'm not the one making statements such as

- Rizwan is an atg all format keeper ans the best atg all format keeper in the world

- Rizwan has been treated like an outsider and mistreated by pakistan cricket team

either you all have amnesia and the memory of a gold fish, or you're just dishonest.

The whole

- We don't have anyone else
- Name a better wk batter in pak
- Look at his shiny 171 not out in test are topics that I have done to death.

All my explanations are their in full detail yet still the same repetitive nonsense?
Rizwan is Pakistan’s great ever wicketkeeper batter and you just can’t digest this fact. Prove me wrong.

Rizwan is Pakistan’s great ever wicketkeeper batter and you just can’t digest this fact. Prove me wrong.
Okay sure.

First question, What defines greatness for you? What's the criteria that determines it.

Okay sure.

First question, What defines greatness for you? What's the criteria that determines it.
Yeah the greatest wicket keeper who lost 2-0 at home against Bangladesh, has never won an away Test match in SENA, has been a part of 3 years of home defeats…

We really can’t digest this :ROFLMAO:

Yeah the greatest wicket keeper who lost 2-0 at home against Bangladesh, has never won an away Test match in SENA, has been a part of 3 years of home defeats…

We really can’t digest this :ROFLMAO:
Well cricket is a team game. If dwarfy Saud & no look Saim had contributed in addition to Riz, the results could have been different.

Numbers.

See it is not that hard to answer the question.
What should we do with numbers if Pakistan has firmly become a LOSER Cricket nation since his full induction into the team?

I have an idea….

Get a bowl of rice…..add a bit of daal on top….season it with some numbers…..add a bit of achaar on those numbers….

and then do what The Rock usually says!

Well cricket is a team game. If dwarfy Saud & no look Saim had contributed in addition to Riz, the results could have been different.
If Rizwan had contributed more than 9 off 6 against USA, we would have beaten them?

Numbers.

See it is not that hard to answer the question.
Okay so Numbers is the only thing that determines it for you? And you hate it when I talk about context and meaning?

So are you willing to accept these following statements

1) Imam ul haq is above Inzimam ul haq in odi because he has a higher avg, 82 sr and only one century less despite not even playing 100 games.

2) Muhammad rizwan is a better t20 player then Travis head because he has more runs in t20 and a higher avg?

^^ I have many more statements but are you willing to accept this?

I feel that Rizwan will do really well in this series because his LOI captaincy is pretty much on the line, he would definitely use this as an opportunity to put his name forward
The opposition is England, not Mozambique

Rizwan tried this against Bangladesh too and Pakistan suffered 2-0 at home. Keep playing for yourself and keep ending up on the side of humiliation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back