Pakistan v New Zealand | 1st T20I | Lahore | 14 April 2023 | Pre-game discussion

Which side will win the 1st T20I between Pakistan and New Zealand

• New Zealand will win

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Emerging Pakistan quick Zaman Khan is confident the return of a host of key senior players will ensure his side finds their best form during the upcoming white-ball series against New Zealand.

Skipper Babar Azam and important trio Mohammad Rizwan, Fakhar Zaman and Haris Rauf have all returned to the national setup and will feature against the Kiwis after they were rested during Pakistan's recent T20I series loss to Afghanistan, while star pacer Shaheen Afridi is also set to make his international comeback in the 10 white-ball fixtures.

Zaman - who made his international debut during the Afghanistan series - believes Pakistan will be a much stronger side because of the return of key personnel and is expecting an improved performance against New Zealand.

"Against Afghanistan the conditions were a bit different and the players were new. In the New Zealand series we will have the home advantage as well as our senior players," Zaman told reporters ahead of the first T20I in Lahore on Saturday.

"If you have the likes of Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan in the team, it boosts the confidence of all the other players and winning matches becomes considerably easy."

Zaman managed just two wickets in the three matches he featured in against Afghanistan, but the 21-year-old showed enough to retain his place in Pakistan's 16-player squad for the T20 portion of New Zealand's visit to Asia.

Whether that proves to be enough for Zaman to win a place in Pakistan's XI during the series remains to be seen, but the right-armer is just happy to be in the mix alongside a host of frontline bowlers.

"Every bowler is different; some are good with the new ball and some are good at the death," he noted.

"It is for the management to decide where they bring me into use, but whenever I get the chance I’ll try my best to win matches for Pakistan."

Zaman caught the eye during the most recent edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), with the pacer collecting a total of 15 wickets for the Lahore Qalandars throughout the tournament to finish as the seventh highest wicket-taker at the event.

His efforts helped Lahore to a second consecutive PSL title and the youngster is thankful for the opportunities he received during the tournament.

"Before playing for Lahore Qalandars, life was difficult. But after that, things really improved for me," Zaman said.

"(Lahore teammates) Shaheen Bhai (Afridi) and Haris Bhai (Rauf) supported me a lot, doing net practice with them, playing matches with them have helped me learn a lot.

"We won two finals together and hopefully in the future as well I would like to keep learning."

Pakistan T20I squad: Babar Azam (c), Shadab Khan (vc), Faheem Ashraf, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Rauf, Iftikhar Ahmed, Ihsanullah, Imad Wasim, Mohammad Haris, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Naseem Shah, Saim Ayub, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shan Masood and Zaman Khan

Pakistan ODI squad: Babar Azam (c), Shadab Khan (vc), Abdullah Shafique, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Rauf, Haris Sohail, Ihsanullah, Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Mohammad Wasim Jnr, Naseem Shah, Salman Ali Agha, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shan Masood and Usama Mir. Reserves: Abbas Afridi, Abrar Ahmed and Tayyab Tahir

Schedule:

14 Apr - 1st T20I, Lahore
15 Apr – 2nd T20I, Lahore
17 Apr – 3rd T20I, Lahore
20 Apr – 4th T20I, Rawalpindi
24 Apr – 5th T20I, Rawalpindi
27 Apr – 1st ODI, Rawalpindi
29 Apr – 2nd ODI, Rawalpindi
3 May – 3rd ODI, Karachi
5 May – 4th ODI, Karachi
7 May – 5th ODI, Karachi

What XI should Pakistan play for this game?

Saim and Haris need to be in it for sure.

What XI should Pakistan play for this game?

Saim and Haris need to be in it for sure.

I would like to play both but, considering Ifti played in the last match and did fine to develop a partnership he might be retained with Haris possibly being benched for the first match. Even if Haris plays, dont think he will be given a position in top 3.

I always have a slight preference towards left right combo for opening as it makes it difficult for opening bowlers to establish their line straight away. I would go with;

Saim Ayub
Mohammad Rizwan (WK)
Babar Azam (C) (Though most likely Babar will open and Saim will be at 3)
Fakhar Zaman
Iftikhar Ahmed/ Mohammad Haris
Imad Wasim
Shadab Khan
Mohammad Nawaz
Shaheen Shah
Haris Rauf/ Naseem
Ihsanullah

Middle order remains a problem. Babar should take responsibility and come at 4.
Fakhar Zaman does not merit a spot in 11 but he' ll play because of poor squad selection.

Saim
Rizwan
Haris
Babar
Fakhar
Iftikhar
Imad
Shadab
Shaheen
Zaman
Ihsanullah

I think Pakistan should go for something like this

Babar
Rizwan
Saim
Fakhar
Haris
Iftikhar
Shadab
Nawaz
Shaheen
Rauf
Ihsanullah

All bases covered, batting till 9.
SLA, OS, LS gives a good variety along with Shaheen and Ihsanullah opening the bowling.

14 months until the next T20 world cup so should really be experimenting with batting and bowling and not worrying too much about the result. Definitely stick with Ihsanullah, Zaman, Saim and Md Harris.

14 months until the next T20 world cup so should really be experimenting with batting and bowling and not worrying too much about the result. Definitely stick with Ihsanullah, Zaman, Saim and Md Harris.

No PCB admin in their right minds will take on defeats for some future goal!

Expect them to field tried and tested.

Black Caps fast bowler Adam Milne is hoping a strong showing in Pakistan over the next three weeks will put him in the frame for the World Cup later this year.

Milne made a successful return to the international game over the summer after recovering from a couple of injuries in 2022.

The 30 year old played seven T20 internationals and two ODI's this summer with the highlight his five for 26 in the second T20 international against Sri Lanka in Dunedin last week.

Milne is on the cusp of selection for the World Cup with Tim Southee, Matt Henry, Lockie Ferguson and Trent Boult ahead of him on the fast bowlers list.

The selectors have shown they're willing to select non-contracted players with Jimmy Neesham recently playing against Sri Lanka, so it would seem likely that Boult would be a contender for the Cup.

Henry Shipley and Blair Tickner have also been used this summer.

However, Milne has the experience and a mature head on his shoulders having made his international debut in 2010.

Since then he's played 42 ODI's and 38 T20 Internationals.

"I'd love to be a part of the World Cup team.

"The Pakistan one-dayers are obviously a good test in sub-continent conditions, so if you can perform there then you put yourself in with a chance to get picked which I'd love to do."

His achilles injury in Europe was followed by a hamstring injury during the home series against India in November.

He then missed the white ball series' in Pakistan and India in January, but a strong showing domestically resulted in his return to the international arena.

"I've had a bit of a past with injuries so it's definitely one game at a time for me.

"I'm just trying to enjoy playing for New Zealand and so the tour of Pakistan will hopefully give me that opportunity.

I'm just trying to keep on top of the body, keep it strong and healthy.

"The more I play games the more consistent my bowling gets so it's just trying to find those ways to keep me on the park.... it's just about being smart with my body.

Milne has never played in Pakistan and he and Matt Henry are the two most experienced bowlers on tour.

"Obviously Jimmy Neesham has played there recently in the PSL (Pakistan Super League) and a few of the guys obviously played the test and one-day series (in January), so we'll certainly be leaning on those guys and learning about the environment and conditions.

New Zealand play Pakistan in five T20 Internationals followed by five ODI's.

The first match is a Lahore on April 14th.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/487766/adam-milne-hoping-to-play-himself-into-world-cup-squad

Shaheen should sit out the t20s. He should only play the odi series. We need to manage him well in this WC year.

Shaheen should sit out the t20s. He should only play the odi series. We need to manage him well in this WC year.

With 5 games available nobody should play every game (not even the captain) and everyone in the squad should get least 2.

Whether it actually works like that remains to be seen but will probably depend on how the series goes. Regardless of there being a impending WC cricket is still a results business and especially in Pakistan. Jobs will be on the line if we lose this series and ultimately that will hold us back from truly experimenting.

I think Pakistan should go for something like this

Babar
Rizwan
Saim
Fakhar
Haris
Iftikhar
Shadab
Nawaz
Shaheen
Rauf
Ihsanullah

All bases covered, batting till 9.
SLA, OS, LS gives a good variety along with Shaheen and Ihsanullah opening the bowling.

I like this team but would make a couple of changes.

Imad is a better option than Nawaz.

Saim to open with Rizwan to give a left/right combination and Babar to be our number 3.

Saim
Babar
Rizwan
Ifti cha-cha

Shadab
Shaheen
Ihsanullah

Keep the above the same, Rotate the rest to figure out who makes WC XI

I cannot stand seeing Shan & Faheem in that squad. Embarrassing.

If Pakistan are really serious in doing well in ODI WC this year then Usama Mir needs to play every white ball game from here on.

Last edited:
I would like to see

Saim Ayub
Rizwan
Babar Azam
Muhammed Haris
Fakhar Zaman
Imad Wasim
Shadab
Nawaz
Naseem Shah
Ihsanullah
Zaman Khan

Thier is no need to play Shaheen rest him for the t20s.
Saim should open were he's comfortable.

What I think they will go with
Babar
Rizwan
Saim Ayub
Fakhar
Iftikhar
Imad Wasim
Shadab
Nawaz
Shaheen
Rauf
Naseem shah

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stretching it out on day two in Lahore <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PAKvNZ?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PAKvNZ</a> <a href="https://t.co/0PCgb1AZyZ">pic.twitter.com/0PCgb1AZyZ</a></p>— BLACKCAPS (@BLACKCAPS) <a href="https://twitter.com/BLACKCAPS/status/1646067760772808704?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 12, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Doesnt matter who we choose...this will be the eleven.

Riz
Babar
Haris
Fakhar
Ifti
Imad
Shadab
Nawaz
Afridi
Naseem
Rauf

should be ..

Riz
Haris
Babar
Fakhar
Saim
Imad
Shadab
Nawaz
Afridi
Naseem
Haris

Don't think all the main players need to play every single one of these meaningless T20Is. I'd rest 1 or 2 in each game.

Please for all 5 T20s, they should just play the players who have played the least amount of T20 matches, or at least non-regular players for t20 team, with the exception of captain and vice captain. Its a New Zealand C Team!! And how about lets continue with that experimentation

1. Saim Ayub
2. Fakhar Zaman
3. Babar Azam (c)
4. Muhammad Haris Khan (wk)
5. Iftikhar Ahmed
6. Shadab Khan (vc)
7. Imad Wasim
8. Muhammad Nawaz
9. Naseem Shah
10. Ihsanullah
11. Zaman Khan

Last edited:
After witnessing a nail-biting finish in the final of the HBL Pakistan Super League 8 just a month ago, the fans in Lahore are set to be treated with what promise to be exciting contests when Pakistan take on New Zealand in the first three of the five-match T20 International series at the Gaddafi Stadium.

Babar Azam-led Pakistan will play their first T20I here since October 2022, when they played England in the lead-up to the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup. Pakistan have won 10 of the 18 matches here since 2015 and the venue has provided viewers action their money’s worth with 8.13 runs being scored per over.

For the Kiwis, it is an unchartered territory as they have never played a T20I in Pakistan. They will hope to bank on the experience of their recent tour of Karachi when they played two Tests and three One-Day Internationals across December and January and the data available to them about the venue, but playing in Gaddafi Stadium against a full-fledged Pakistan side will be a challenging ask.

Pakistan already have an upper-hand as they have defeated New Zealand four times in the last five matches, the most recent one being a convincing seven-wicket win in the T20 World Cup semi-final in Sydney. That only defeat was during the tri-series in Christchurch, which Pakistan won, just before the World Cup.

Babar Azam: “It is a great feeling to be back in Lahore in Pakistan colours. This promises to be an exciting series as we bring the exciting young talent and the experience of senior players together in this solid squad.

“The T20 World Cup is over a year away and we will look to utilise the next five games to see where we stand. They will also help us gear up for the crucial five-match ODI series that follows as more or less we have the same players in this team and that series will provide us a good opportunity to prepare for the Asia Cup and World Cup later in the year.”

Tom Latham: “It is an exciting tour for our side and we know we’re coming up against a quality Pakistan team who will be a huge challenge. We’re obviously missing a few of our senior players, but that’s going to offer opportunities to others and I know the team are really looking forward to testing themselves.

“Conditions are completely different to what we’re used to back home and it’s going to be important that we adapt as quickly as possible. We’ll lean on the experiences we had on the tour here a couple of months ago where we managed to play some good cricket in both the Test and ODI series.

“The HBL PSL has also just been here so we will try and get as much information as we can, but it will ultimately be about adapting as quickly as possible.”

Gaddafi Stadium will stage T20I matches on 14, 15 and 17 April before the action shifts to Rawalpindi where the last two games of the series will be played on 20 and 24 April.

Pakistan squad: Babar Azam (captain), Shadab Khan (vice-captain), Faheem Ashraf, Fakhar Zaman, Haris Rauf, Iftikhar Ahmed, Ihsanullah, Imad Wasim, Mohammad Haris, Mohammad Nawaz, Mohammad Rizwan, Naseem Shah, Saim Ayub, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Shan Masood and Zaman Khan

New Zealand squad: Tom Latham (captain, wk), Chad Bowes, Mark Chapman, Dane Cleaver, Matt Henry, Ben Lister, Adam Milne, Cole McConchie, Daryl Mitchell, Jimmy Neesham, Rachin Ravindra, Henry Shipley, Ish Sodhi, Blair Tickner, Will Young

Funny to see people putting Fakhar down the order for unaccomplished batsmen.

Fakhar should be opening.

Funny to see people putting Fakhar down the order for unaccomplished batsmen.

Fakhar should be opening.

I’ve given up on this

I sincerely hope everyone who bats in the middle besides Babar and Rizwan fail miserably

It’s the only way we will learn

I’ve given up on this

I sincerely hope everyone who bats in the middle besides Babar and Rizwan fail miserably

It’s the only way we will learn

They will be discarded and good careers destroyed.

Thankfully this will not happen and the players in the middle order will do their job

They will be discarded and good careers destroyed.

Thankfully this will not happen and the players in the middle order will do their job

Exactly.

One after the other, careers of proper openers will be destroyed because of this obsession for two middle order players to bat as openers. And yes, they are middle order batsmen because thats the position they bat in Test and ODI.

As a neutral i'd say-get them with quality reverse and quality spin. you have rauf and SSA for the former, the little i have seen of insanullah - he's got serious potential. in shadab and I wasim u have good experienced campainers. just bat first, get 350+ and get them under lights when its zipping off the wickets and reversing big. kiwis aint flash against quality reverse - you should roll them over - series should be xciting!

Saim
Babar
Fakhar
Rizwan
Haris
Ifti
Imad
Shadab
Shaheen
Ihsanullah
Zaman

1) Muhammad Rizwan (WK) (Right)
2) Saim Ayub (Left)
3) Babar Azam (Right)
4) Fakhar Zaman (Left)
5) Muhammad Haris (Right)
6) Iftikhar Ahmad
7) Imad Wasim
8) Shadab Khan
9) Shaheen Shah Afridi
10) Naseem Shah
11) Ihsanullah

-- I would like to see Babar coming down at 3 but it our management seems to be hesitant to do it

-- Rotation should be between all these fast bowlers as we've Haris and Zaman in our team as well

Not at all excited. No buzz around..
Maybe it's just me but these bilateral series to me are meaningless. These should just be used to prepare the next generation of players.

Bring back tri and quad series. They bring out the best and give you thrills as close as you'd get in a WC.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Captains Babar Azam & Tom Latham chatting Ramadan, fasting & the 9pm starts this T20I series <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PAKvNZ?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PAKvNZ</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRealPCB?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheRealPCB</a> <a href="https://t.co/kphrqzc4CR">pic.twitter.com/kphrqzc4CR</a></p>— BLACKCAPS (@BLACKCAPS) <a href="https://twitter.com/BLACKCAPS/status/1646617775731818499?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 13, 2023</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tom Latham in his presser:

"You can look at everyone across the Pakistan squad, they've got guys who bowl fast, quality spinners and obviously with the bat they have many match winners. So we have to play really well to beat them but it is an opportunity that guys are really looking forward to play against this quality Pakistan side"

"Pakistan are a quality side, they have come off the back of their PSL tournament just recently and they've picked guys who are in form, so even though we are missing a few players due to IPL commitments, that presents an opportunity to the other players"

"Even though we've got some guys who haven't played huge amount of cricket but we have guys who have played a lot of T20 cricket for New Zealand, so it is an exciting opportunity for this group to come here and to explore conditions where we haven't played a lot in before and hopefully we can put up a good performance on the board"

"We haven't had the ideal preparation but that's obviously what we face and it is something that we cannot control, so you know we've come off the back of series against Sri Lanka with some one-dayers and T20s and the guys played some really good cricket"

"We were put under pressure at times but came through that. Coming here, it is about adapting to those conditions. We were here only a couple of months ago playing some one-day cricket and we've had a couple of guys playing in the PSL, so for us it is about trying to gather as much information we can tonight and hopefully that will give us a good chance through this series"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back