Pakistan v West Indies | 1st Test (D/N) | Dubai (DSC) | Oct 13-17, 2016 | Day 1

Interesting to see if bishoo gets anything out of this surface when he comes onto bowl.

over rates have been poor so far in this game, seems a usual trend these days in test matches.

Someone tell Jason Holder that because Kraigg Brathwaite took a 6-fer on a rank turner in SL doesn't make him a frontline spinner.

I just noticed Azhar Ali is playing his 50st test match will he get something for that ?

Someone tell Jason Holder that because Kraigg Brathwaite took a 6-fer on a rank turner in SL doesn't make him a frontline spinner.

Think he got the message... Holder himself is not really justifying his spot as a third seamer, 1 wicket in 90+ overs this year.

Then again Alistair Cook uses Moeen as the frontline spinner as well.....

pink ball and lights may throw an unexpected surprise

Nah, I don't expect anything to happen.

I followed the Duleep trophy (which was played with the pink ball) only to see how it behaves in Asia and to watch some youngsters in action. Ball didn't swing much, was all high scoring matches with many guys hitting centuries. Spinners took the bulk of wickets (but also went for many) and it swung around only for some overs in the night.

Expect this match to take the typical route: Pak scoring in excess of 500, Windies struggling to match the score. Windies will have to play out of their skins to get a draw here.

Now do you believe me about the need for a greentop wicket with the Pink Ball?

The only thing which might deliver a few wickets is bad lighting after dark.

Cricket Australia learned the hard way before the Adelaide Test that Pink Ball Tests need to be played on a very grassy track and be low-scoring affairs. And the Adelaide Test was thrilling as a result.

But a Pink ball on a dead track is just boring. Especially as the grassy outfield slows the ball and makes the scoring rate really low.

Don't want to curse the situation but West Indies just do not look like a side that can take 20 wickets.

Cricket Australia learned the hard way before the Adelaide Test that Pink Ball Tests need to be played on a very grassy track and be low-scoring affairs. And the Adelaide Test was thrilling as a result.

But a Pink ball on a dead track is just boring. Especially as the grassy outfield slows the ball and makes the scoring rate really low.

Probably! but how about we produce a ball which can mimic the red cherry in a D/N test! Am considering pursuing this as my final year project in my rocket science degree, besides I quiet like CFD :steyn

Poor run rate, should have been 150 by now :facepalm:

We don't do that much in ODIs and this is test cricket plus the first session of pink ball cricket so have to be careful. And then it's Azhar and Aslam playing not two Afridi and Imran Nazir

Same Red ball behaves differently in Asia and Australia/England. This does indicate that same thing, Pink Ball, can behave differently subjective to venue.

You may be right, but Sample size is not sufficient yet to make firm conclusions. As of now, we can assume but we can't take it as a proven fact.

its TEA . so what will they call to nest break . Dinner break ?

Really enjoy Sami Aslam batting. Wish he scores big tonight.

Don't know why should we complain about style of cricket played by Pakistan. Playing attritional cricket is the formula of winning for Pakistan.

If he doesn't, am never going to eat roti again:mv

The Future of Roti in your Life Rests on Sami's shoulders now...... Here's to hoping you can enjoy the latter without any issues in future.

Come on Sami !!! Score a ton for our very own Shezzy Bear :D

as per Cricinfo Babar is coming at #3, Misbah at #4 and Asad at #5. I think Asad should come in at #4.

Come on Sami!!! Get out. I want to see the other batsman bat.

Why would you want that to happen. 🤔
I want to see sami scoring double hundred here and become a good opener for Pakistan in the term. If he gets 100s under his belt before Aussies tour we might get good starts there which could be the key to help us to compete in Australia.

Nice old school pipe there by that Caribbean fan.

Pakistan still looking very comfortable against pace and spin.

as per Cricinfo Babar is coming at #3, Misbah at #4 and Asad at #5. I think Asad should come in at #4.

With a day 1 wicket and current W.I bowling attack and pakistan 101/0 i think everyone left to bat will be fighting to come in next!

Nice 50 for Sami, hopefully he will get a big hundred today.

I don't see anything unexpected here - Pink, Red, White with any ball, I actually expected, batting first, PAK to pile 550+ & declare, batting once for all 3 Tests, unless Misbah decides not to enforce the follow on.

This is a pathetic WI side, in an era when Cricket is at it's lowest standard in last 50 years. I am not sure what is expected from a WI bowling lineup with Holder being 3rd seemer (& the other two won't have made any Caribbean domestic B team in 80s, even 90s) & their two spinners looks like part-timers against Afghan Rashid & Nabi.

I'll wait till PAK bowls before commenting anything on D/N Test. Adelaide Test actually tells me nothing here for the dew factor in Asia. In fact, it might be a bit easier to bat under light with older balls. As I can see from scorecard that Mash used 30 overs of seem yesterday under lights & didn't use Sakib & Nasir - dew is the biggest factor in Asia. Also, there is no point finishing a Test in 3 days - I think, Misbah will set 500 for WI to chase & 5 sessions to his bowlers to get 10 wickets, which is fine for me.

Disappointing if neither one of these two gets a century. Both looking well set.

Australia score at 4+ an over against good teams. We are scoring -3 an over against a bad team.

Different pitches, grounds, etc. Totally different. Good bounce and quick outfields result in a faster game.

Plus, we win matches our own way, by batting safely.

I'm all for sedate batting and taking your time but on the flip side, there also comes a time when you need to press on and rub the opponent into the ground. This dour batting is not doing us any favors. Both these openers are set and they should be looking to score at 4 rpo to demoralize WI even further. Sometimes I feel we come with a predetermined mindset of looking to score 270 in a day irrespective of who's the opponent and what's the pitch like. I won't blame Sami Aslam for the cautionary batting but Azhar Ali needs to up his strike rate now.

I still fail to see how putting on an artificial light would impact the ball's movement in anyway. It is quite an accepted thought in the cricketing world, but when you think about it doesn't make much sense.

They need to take singles and doubles every over or every other. Just going and hitting a four is a bit risky and taking singles keeps the scoreboard ticking, this also stops from any pressure building.

I don't see anything unexpected here - Pink, Red, White with any ball, I actually expected, batting first, PAK to pile 550+ & declare, batting once for all 3 Tests, unless Misbah decides not to enforce the follow on.

This is a pathetic WI side, in an era when Cricket is at it's lowest standard in last 50 years. I am not sure what is expected from a WI bowling lineup with Holder being 3rd seemer (& the other two won't have made any Caribbean domestic B team in 80s, even 90s) & their two spinners looks like part-timers against Afghan Rashid & Nabi.

I'll wait till PAK bowls before commenting anything on D/N Test. Adelaide Test actually tells me nothing here for the dew factor in Asia. In fact, it might be a bit easier to bat under light with older balls. As I can see from scorecard that Mash used 30 overs of seem yesterday under lights & didn't use Sakib & Nasir - dew is the biggest factor in Asia. Also, there is no point finishing a Test in 3 days - I think, Misbah will set 500 for WI to chase & 5 sessions to his bowlers to get 10 wickets, which is fine for me.

and this is due to Pakistan has white wash Them in odis and t20s?????I think you are harsh on Pakistan you should also give credit to pakistan we have outclass them in every format

Openers playing the spinners well so far, good to see a bit of aggression been shown now and then by Sami!

Any other team and it could have been good viewing.It feels as if they are super reluctant to play this format

and this is due to Pakistan has white wash Them in odis and t20s?????I think you are harsh on Pakistan you should also give credit to pakistan we have outclass them in every format

Grow up.

Only kids jump after reading half.

this is a series that doesn't come along every day. A poor test team vs us. Therefore our players should cash in and score some big runs!

Both should be looking to bat out rest of the day at least.

This is depressing to watch.

I remember growing up watching Pak-WI series sitting on the edge of my seat hoping our top order could just see out the overs from Ambrose and Walsh.

Or seeing batsmen duck and cover against the searing pace of Patrick Patterson.

However facing this attack has been like an afternoon stroll.

Back