Pakistan Women's tour of South Africa 2019 Thread (3 ODIs and 5 T20Is)

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Pakistan women’s squads for South Africa named

· Bismah Maroof to captain; all-rounder Jaweria Rauf recalled for both the formats

· Pakistan sits one point behind South Africa in sixth spot on ICC Women’s Championship

Karachi, 13 April 2019:

Pakistan Women’s Selection Committee today announced the 15-player Pakistan women’s squads for next month’s ICC Women’s Championship and Twenty20 International series against South Africa.

Maintaining consistency, Urooj Mumtaz’s panel has made just one change in the 14-player squad that defeated the Windies girls 2-1 in the ODI series. Off-spinner Saba Nazir has been replaced by uncapped spinner Rameen Shamim, while Jaweria Rauf, whose last ODI appearance was in January 2014, has been added.

In the T20I squad, there are two changes from the last series against the Windies. From the 14-player squad, Anam Amin and Natalia Pervaiz have been replaced by Jaweria Rauf and Kainat Imtiaz, while Rameen Shamin has also found a place in the 15-player squad.

In addition, the selectors have also named four reserves, namely: Fareeha Mehmood, Fatima Sana, Muneeba Ali and Saba Nazir.

Chair of Pakistan Women’s Selection Panel and former captain, Urooj Mumtaz, said: “We have rewarded the girls for their outstanding achievements against the Windies girls by maintaining consistency in the ODI squad, while we have made some tweaks in the T20I squad as we look forward to next year’s ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020.

“We have a good bunch of cricketers who have displayed their capabilities and potentials against the Windies girls and previous series. When we played South Africa in an ODI series last time, we narrowly lost 1-2, but I am hopeful we will be able to build on our success against the Windies girls and be able to do one better this time on the African safari.

“We have an excellent mix of senior and junior cricketers. I am sure under the wings of the experienced girls, the youngsters will thrive and make optimum use of the increased opportunities as these are extremely interesting times for women’s cricket as far as more chances of exposure and experience exist, with enhanced performance-related incentives.”

Squads:

Pakistan women’s team for ICC Women’s Championship ODIs (in alphabetical order):

1. Bismah Maroof (captain)
2. Aiman Anwar
3. Aliya Riaz
4. Diana Baig
5. Javeria Wadood Khan
6. Jaweria Rauf
7. Kainat Imtiaz
8. Nahida Khan
9. Nashra Sundhu
10. Nida Dar
11. Rameen Shamim
12. Sana Mir
13. Sidra Amin
14. Sidra Nawaz (wicketkeeper)
15. Omaima Sohail

Pakistan women’s team for T20Is (in alphabetical order):

1. Bismah Maroof (captain)
2. Aiman Anwar
3. Aliya Riaz
4. Diana Baig
5. Iram Javed
6. Javeria Wadood Khan
7. Jaweria Rauf
8. Kainat Imtiaz
9. Nashra Sundhu
10. Nida Dar
11. Rameen Shamim
12. Sana Mir
13. Sidra Amin
14. Sidra Nawaz (wicketkeeper)
15. Omaima Sohail

South Africa tour schedule:

6 May – 1st ICC Women’s Championship 50-over match, Potchefstroom
9 May – 2nd ICC Women’s Championship 50-over match, Potchefstroom
12 May – 3rd ICC Women’s Championship 50-over match, Benoni
15 May – 1st T20I match, Pretoria
18 May – 2nd T20I match, Pietermaritzburg
19 May – 3rd T20I match, Pietermaritzburg
22 May – 4th T20I match, Benoni
23 May – 5th T20I match, Benoni

About the women’s selection committee:

Asmavia Iqbal – The 31-year-old from Multan played international cricket from 2005 and 2017, during which she represented Pakistan in 92 ODIs (scoring 922 runs and taking 70 wickets) and 68 T20Is (scoring 421 runs and taking 44 wickets). She was a member of the Pakistan women’s teams that played in the ICC Women’s World Cup 2009, 2013 and 2017, as well as in the ICC Women’s T20 World Cups in 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016.

Marina Iqbal – The 32-year-old from Quetta played international cricket from 2009 to 2017. In 36 ODIs, she scored 436 runs and took eight wickets, while in 42 T20Is, she scored 340 runs and took two wickets. She played in the ICC Women’s World Cup 2017, as well as in the ICC Women’s T20 World Cups in 2009, 2012 and 2014.

Urooj Mumtaz – The 33-year-old from Karachi played international cricket from 2004 to 2010. She also captained Pakistan at the ICC Women’s World Cup in 2009 in Sydney. She played one Test, 38 ODIs and nine T20Is. She is presently a member of the PCB Cricket Committee.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has decided to increase the match fees and the daily allowance of women cricketers in a bid to encourage more girls towards the game, the chief selector of the women cricket team, Urooj Mumtaz, revealed on Saturday.

The board is keen towards establishing a strong circuit for women cricketers where all the players get proper facilities. The players will now travel in business class and get high-class accommodation.

“The board wants women cricket growing hence they are investing a lot for its improvement,” he said.

The former cricketer said that the PCB has expanded the team’s coaching staff and brought women cricketers at the helm of women cricket which is a good sign towards the betterment of the game.

“I think the PCB is clear on women cricket’s matters and it will help us bring change in the entire system,” she said.

Urooj, who is a part of PCB’s cricket committee, revealed that the PCB is considering to increase the central contracts for the players. “We are in talks with the board to increase central contracts and if this gets approved then more women players will be encouraged towards the game,” said Urooj.

https://arysports.tv/pcb-increase-match-fees-women-cricketers/

The Proteas women’s tour against Pakistan is drawing nearer and so the preparation continues at heightened levels from the team’s point of view. A squad of 18 of some of the most promising players in the country has been invited to a four-day national camp which commenced today in Pretoria.

South Africa will play host to Pakistan in a three-match One-Day International and five-match T20 international series, which will be played over four venues from 06 to 23 May 2019.

Assistant coach to the national team, Salieg Nackerdien said the coaching staff was pleased with the intensity of the group on the opening day of camp. He stressed the importance of building steady momentum going into the tour in order for the players to give maximum output and reach the team’s first goal of collecting six vital points from the ICC Women’s Championship ODI series.

“We had a good (National) Women’s Week a couple of weeks ago and our top six batters dominated the scene and that’s what we talked about in the previous camp, so that was excellent to see,” he commented. “For momentum purposes going into that Pakistan series in a couple of weeks, I think it’s important that they are still in that good space and getting into those good habits.

“What we want to achieve at the end of the day is to get those six points but it’s all up to us going forward in this camp and into the other one just before the start of the tour in a couple of weeks’ time. So, prep(aration)-wise we’ve got enough time, but for now, we need to focus on the basics keep the momentum going.”

The coach was also impressed with the hard work that players have evidently put in during their time away from camp. He said that it pleased him to no end to see so much competition for places in the national team. The type of environment and culture that they have worked hard to create looks to finally be manifesting itself.

“I’m very happy with where we’re at. It’s great that you can’t just put a (squad of) eleven together, players are knocking on the door and putting their names forward,” Nackerdien continued. “That’s what we want to create – a big pool – but also a pool that’s competitive and that’s consistent and not just handed opportunities so that the players that are there already know that the only way of securing their place is by putting in the performances.”

While the competition is rife in the team, the morale and unity is also visibly solid, an area that continues to impress the coach as it is a culture that the team have worked hard to create and protect.

“I think it’s tremendous that the players are getting along so well. The new girls are being welcomed in with open arms and to see the seniors helping the juniors with their extras after the live nets that we had today is just what you want to see as a coach,” he explained. “This is the culture that we have been building and want to strengthen moving forward. If we can grow this type of mentality and take it further, I think we can achieve great things.”

The South African squad to take on Pakistan will be announced on Monday, 22 April.

National women’s camp squad:

Yolani Fourie (Gauteng), Nadine de Klerk (Northerns), Chloe Tryon (KZN Coastal), Moseline Daniels (Border), Zintle Mali (Border), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Masabata Klaas (North West), Lara Goodall (Western Province), Tazmin Brits (North West), Lizelle Lee (North West), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Sune Luus (Northerns), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Sinalo Jafta (North West), Nondumiso Shangase (KZN Coastal), Izel Cilliers (Free State), Evodia Yekile (North West).

Fixtures for Pakistan women’s tour:

May 2019

Wed 01 Day Unofficial Warm Up PUK Oval Potchefstroom

Fri 03 Day Warm Up PUK Oval Potchefstroom

Mon 06 Day 1st Women’s ODI Senwes Park Potchefstroom

Thu 09 Day 2nd Women’s ODI Senwes Park Potchefstroom

Sun 12 Day 3rd Women’s ODI Willowmoore Park Benoni

Wed 15 Day 1st Women’s T20I Tuks Oval Pretoria

Sat 18 Day 2nd Women’s T20I Pietermaritzburg Oval Pietermaritzburg

Sun 19 Day 3rd Women’s T20I Pietermaritzburg Oval Pietermaritzburg

Wed 22 Day 4th Women’s T20I Willowmoore Park Benoni

Thu 23 Day 5th Women’s T20I Willowmoore Park Benoni

Diana Baig ruled out of South Africa tour due to thumb injury

• Fatima Sana to replace the pace bowler who injured her thumb during a training session in Karachi on Monday.
Lahore, 16 April 2019:

Seventeen-year-old pace bowler Fatima Sana has been included in Pakistan women team that will tour South Africa in place of pace bowler Diana Baig who underwent surgery on her injured left thumb in Karachi, on Tuesday.

Diana has been advised eight to ten weeks rest following the surgery which ruled her out of Pakistan’s tour of South Africa that begins from Monday, 29 April. Diana got injured during a training session in Karachi on Monday, where the South Africa bound squad is preparing for the tour.

Chief selector Pakistan women team Urooj Mumtaz expressed her disappointment at Diana’s injury she added that the tour of South Africa provides a good opportunity for Fatima to prove her worth.

"It was unfortunate that Diana fractured her left thumb during practice yesterday. Thankfully the surgery was a success and I wish her a speedy recovery. Diana has been replaced by Fatima Sana, a young promising fast bowler and I wish her all the best.”

Fatima took seven wickets in as many games in the recently concluded 2nd Inter-Departmental T20 Women’s Cricket Championship 2019 that was held in Islamabad. The Hyderabad-born Fatima represented ZTBL in the tournament.

Diana will now undergo a rehabilitation programme under the supervision of National Cricket Academy’s medical panel.

Pakistan team will leave for South Africa on 29 April. The team will play a series of three ODIs (part of the ICC Women’s Championship), five T20Is and two warm-up games in their 25-day tour.

Twenty-three-year-old KwaZulu-Natal Coastal all-rounder, Nondumiso Shangase has been named as a potential new cap in the Proteas women’s squad for the three-match One-Day International (ODI) and five-match T20 international series at home against Pakistan. The tour will run from 06 to 23 May 2019 in Potchefstroom, Benoni, Pietermaritzburg and Pretoria.

Shangase is a product of the Powerade Women’s National Academy. She received her first invitation into the programme in 2018 and has been included in this year’s intake as well. The fledging all-rounder was also a part of the South Africa Women’s Emerging team that hosted England and Australia’s Academies in a triangular series last year.

Suné Luus has been named team captain for both formats while Dané van Niekerk continues her recovery journey from a stress fracture of the neck of the right femur. Ayabonga Khaka remains ineligible for selection while she completes the final stages of her rehabilitation from her shoulder surgery.

In good news for the hosts, the tour will see the return of two key senior players. Vice-captain Chloe Tryon returns after making a full recovery from a groin injury, while Lizelle Lee has fought hard to meet the team’s fitness standards which allowed for her suitability for selection.

Twenty-four-year-old wicket-keeper/batter, Sinalo Jafta has also been added to the squads of 14 of both formats. She last played for the national team in January 2017 when South Africa toured Bangladesh. Jafta has since been a regular member of the national emerging team, biding her time until another opportunity presented itself.

The ODI series will be another opportunity for the home side to secure an additional six points towards their ICC Women’s Championship (IWC) campaign following a hugely successful home tour against Sri Lanka earlier this year.

The last time the sides met, South Africa emerged the winners by three wickets in their opening appearance of the 2017 ICC Women’s World Cup in England. Before that, it was again the Proteas who were the 2-1 ODI series victors in Sharjah in the UAE, coming back fighting after losing the first fixture.

The T20 series will help both sides continue their preparation for next year’s ICC T20 Women’s World Cup in Australia.

Convenor of selectors, Clinton du Preez said: “We are excited with the squad of players selected for the upcoming series and have considered options for both ODI and T20 squads with the latter being a focus for the T20 World Cup preparation. We once again miss some key players, but there is a great opportunity for players to stake their claim for more consistent positions in the team. The return of Sinalo Jafta and a potential new cap Nondumiso Shangase gives us an opportunity to look at our depth and options in various positions, while having senior players returning also bolsters the team.

“On behalf of the selection panel, I would like to wish coach Hilton Moreeng, his management and the team all the best for the tour.”

Proteas women’s ODI team

Suné Luus (captain, Northerns), Chloe Tryon (vice-captain, KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Lizelle Lee (wicket-keeper, North West), Andrie Steyn (Western Province), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Shabnim Ismail (Gauteng), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Masabata Klaas (North West), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Nadine De Klerk (Northens), Zintle Mali (Border), Nondumiso Shangase (KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Sinalo Jafta (wicket-keeper, North West).

Proteas women’s T20 team

Suné Luus (captain, Northerns), Chloe Tryon (vice-captain, KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Lizelle Lee (North West), Tazmin Brits (North West), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Shabnim Ismail (Gauteng), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Masabata Klaas (North West), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Nadine De Klerk (Northens), Moseline Daniels (Border), Nondumiso Shangase (KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Sinalo Jafta (wicket-keeper, North West).

Tour Itinerary

Fri 03 Day Warm Up PUK Oval Potchefstroom

Wed 15 Day 1st Women’s T20I Tuks Oval Pretoria

Last edited:
Bismah Maroof confident of success in South Africa

• “We have a balanced squad, our focus is on gaining more ICC Women’s Championship points,” says the Pakistan women’s team captain

• Bismah has an opportunity to become second Pakistan and sixth overall to complete a century of T20Is

• PCB to provide series previews, match reports and photographs from the series to be played from 6-23 May

Karachi, 28 April 2019:

Pakistan women’s team captain Bismah Maroof has expressed complete confidence in her side that will play South Africa in three ICC Women’s Championship ODIs, which will be followed by five T20Is. The series will be played from 6-23 May.

Speaking ahead of her side’s departure for South Africa, Bismah said the team had worked hard during the two-week training camp in Karachi.

“We have worked hard in the training camp, which has been a great success since we spent considerable time on our all-round (batting and bowling) skills,” said the world’s 31st-ranked batter.

Bismah added that the main target, both for her and the team management, led by head coach Mark Coles, was winning the ODI series and improving the team’s chances of securing a direct berth in the ICC Women’s World Cup 2021.

Event hosts New Zealand and the four other highest-ranked sides from the ICC Women’s Championship will gain direct qualification to the event proper. Pakistan are currently ranked sixth with 12 points from as many matches, South Africa have a point more than Pakistan (13).

Bismah felt the standings of the two teams will make the series even more competitive.

“Both South Africa and Pakistan are going to fight hard for the ICC Women’s Championship points. They currently have a one-point advantage over us, which we can overcome by winning the series. Both teams are evenly matched and the points table situation will make the series even more exciting,” said the veteran of 100 ODIs and 95 T20Is.

The 27-year-old from Lahore, who is considered as one of the batting mainstays in the Pakistan line-up, felt her side had gained great momentum by winning their first-ever ODI series against the Windies in Dubai, and the core of that team was the same.

“Other than Diana Baig, who suffered an unfortunate injury at the start of the camp, the core of the team that beat the Windies has been retained. The team management and I have a lot of confidence in the proven abilities of Sana Mir, Nida Dar, Sidra Amin, Javeria Khan, Nashra Sandhu and Aliya Riaz, who have done very well for us in the recent past.

“The other squad members are also equally capable. Newcomer Fatima Sana, who has replaced Diana in the side, has also shown a lot of promise at the camp, which is another heartening sign.”

While the focus is on the ODI series, Bismah and her side will also seek improvement in their T20I performance after losing a closely fought three-match series against Windies held in Karachi, earlier this year.

“The T20I series is, of course, also important to us keeping in mind the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup Australia 2020. Five matches against a formidable side like South Africa gives us the opportunity of providing more exposure to our players as we develop our team for the Australian conditions.

“The pitches in South Africa will almost be similar to what we will confront in Australia, hence, playing a five-match T20I series is a huge boost for us.”

If Bismah succeeds in featuring in all the five T20Is, then the last match of the series in Benoni on 23 May will become her 100th T20I. This will make her the second Pakistan player after Sana Mir (100) and sixth overall to achieve the rare milestone. Other players with 100 or more T20Is include Suzie Bates (New Zealand, 111), Deandra Dotting (Windies, 110), Jenny Gunn (England, 104), Anisa Mohammed (Windies, 102) and Ellye Perry (Australia, 102).

Pakistan women’s team for ICC Women’s Championship ODIs - Bismah Maroof (captain); Aiman Anwar; Aliya Riaz; Fatima Sana; Javeria Wadood Khan; Jaweria Rauf; Kainat Imtiaz; Nahida Khan; Nashra Sundhu; Nida Dar; Rameen Shamim; Sana Mir; Sidra Amin; Sidra Nawaz (wicketkeeper) and Omaima Sohail

Pakistan women’s team for T20Is - Bismah Maroof (captain); Aiman Anwar; Aliya Riaz; Fatima Sana; Iram Javed; Javeria Wadood Khan; Jaweria Rauf; Kainat Imtiaz; Nashra Sundhu; Nida Dar; Rameen Shamim; Sana Mir; Sidra Amin; Sidra Nawaz (wicketkeeper) and Omaima Sohail

Proteas women pleased with preparation ahead of inbound Pakistan tour

Friday, 03 May 2019

Lizelle Lee is satisfied that the Proteas women’s pre-tour camp has fulfilled the team’s objectives in preparing for their home tour against Pakistan starting in Potchefstroom on Monday. The national team have been in camp for the past five days, refining all of the problem areas that they had identified at the conclusion of their tour against Sri Lanka earlier this year.

The Pakistan tour includes three ICC Women’s Championship (IWC) One-Day Internationals and five T20 internationals.

Wicket-keeper-batter Lee, is delighted with the consistent improvement of the team in the last few weeks, in particular the batting unit and is cautiously optimistic of their chances against the visitors.

“The batters are looking really good,” she commented. “We played warm-up games on Tuesday and yesterday (Thursday) which I think went very well. One of our aims was to get to 280-plus consistently and in both games we did that, so I’m really proud of the way we are going about things. I think the big thing about South Africa that was a bad thing for us is that we always lost wickets in clusters and that comes down to being under pressure but not getting singles and finding a work around. One of the things we’ve worked really hard on is getting that right. A lot of the girls have worked on extra options to play during the game and I think it’s something that took the pressure off them and it was really good to see us executing that in the warm-up games.

“Pakistan is a very good team and we’re not underestimating them at all. When we go into game one on Monday, we’re going to go hard because we understand the importance of the IWC and the points needed for World Cup qualification. The way we are batting and bowling now and even fielding gives me confidence that we can do well in this series. We’re definitely going out to get those six points, we’re not going to hold back.”

South Africa are currently in fifth place with 13 points on the IWC table, while Pakistan trail closely behind them in sixth place with 12 points. The tournament allows for the top four teams to directly qualify for the 2021 ICC Women’s World Cup in New Zealand.

The five-match T20 series is also very important to the home side. Lee said it provided a good opportunity for them to measure themselves up against good opposition and prepare for the 2020 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup also taking place in New Zealand.

“If you have a look at the games that we played in the previous T20 World Cup (West Indies 2019) we had them (Pakistan) in one of our warm-up matches and we lost against them,” she explained. “Pakistan is not a team you should underestimate and this is preparation for the T20 World Cup next year, which is really big for us. We want to make sure we cover all of our bases before we go out there.”

The North West local is also happy with the amount of game time that the team has been getting recently, stating that it has gone a long way in improving the team’s performance.

“The girls did really well in the tour against Sri Lanka where they had two white washes and then soon after we had a very good (CSA) Women’s Week (provincial tournament) where our batters did extremely well. Before that, we had the World T20 and a tour in the West Indies and just before that we hosted Bangladesh here at home. There is no better teacher in cricket than game time against good opposition and we’re really fortunate to be getting more and more time out on the field. It really helps teams grow and ups the competitiveness of women’s cricket around the world.

“Right now, because we’ve played so much cricket we have a team that’s more confident in themselves and their abilities because we’ve been in enough match situations that we don’t panic when things don’t go our way – it’s the healthiest and most competitive that we’ve ever been as a national team.

“Looking ahead to this next tour, I think everyone is in a good space at the moment and I have to say that the mood in the camp is very good. I’m really looking forward to the tour,” Lee concluded.

The first ODI will be played at Senwest Park on 06 May 2019 from 10:00 local time. The whole Pakistan tour to South Africa will be live streamed on the Cricket South Africa YouTube channel (link here ).

Proteas women’s ODI team

Suné Luus (captain, Northerns), Chloe Tryon (vice-captain, KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Lizelle Lee (wicket-keeper, North West), Andrie Steyn (Western Province), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Shabnim Ismail (Gauteng), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Masabata Klaas (North West), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Nadine De Klerk (Northens), Zintle Mali (Border), Nondumiso Shangase (KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Sinalo Jafta (wicket-keeper, North West).

Proteas women’s T20 team

Suné Luus (captain, Northerns), Chloe Tryon (vice-captain, KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Lizelle Lee (North West), Tazmin Brits (North West), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Shabnim Ismail (Gauteng), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Masabata Klaas (North West), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Nadine De Klerk (Northens), Moseline Daniels (Border), Nondumiso Shangase (KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Sinalo Jafta (wicket-keeper, North West).

Tour Itinerary

Wed 15 Day 1st Women’s T20I Assupol Tuks Oval Pretoria

South Africa host Pakistan for an ICC Women’s Championship series that could be crucial in deciding who qualifies for the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2021 and gives leading players the chance to improve their positions in the MRF Tyres ICC Women’s ODI Player Rankings.

South Africa are currently fifth with 13 points and Pakistan sixth with 12 points, after 12 matches each of the eight-team championship that provides direct qualification berths to hosts New Zealand and four other top teams in the ICC Women’s Cricket World Cup 2021.

The field is competitive with the West Indies on 11 points and seventh position in the points table, an indicator of the increasing competition in the women’s game. The second cycle of the ICC Women’s Championship that runs from 2017-2020, is being played on the back of a highly successful first edition that drew praise from all quarters for ensuring more matches for women’s sides and improving the quality of the game.

The upcoming series could see South Africa improve their points position in home conditions in Potchefstroom (6 and 9 May) and Benoni (12 May) after recently sweeping an away series in Sri Lanka 3-0 while Pakistan would be hoping to keep up the tempo after a 2-1 series win over the West Indies.

Australia have assured themselves of a place in the World Cup as they are at the top of the table with 22 points from 12 matches while England (18 from 15) will get the chance to do so in a home series against the West Indies next month. India and New Zealand are second and third on the table with 16 and 14 points, respectively.

South Africa will miss captain Dane van Niekerk, who sustained a leg injury during a recent tour of Sri Lanka. Van Niekerk, who is the leading run scorer in the championship from either side with 529 runs from 10 matches so far, is currently ranked 13th among batters, only one slot behind Lizelle Lee. Mignon du Preez (22nd), vice-captain Chloe Tryon (24th) and Marizanne Kapp (34th) are the other leading batters for South Africa in the list led by India’s Smriti Mandhana.

Among their bowlers, formerly top-ranked Kapp would be looking to move into the top five as she is in sixth position and only 10 points behind India’s Shikha Pandey, with 678 rating points. Shabnim Islmail (seventh) and Ayabonga Khaka (17th) are other prominent names on the list while their captain Sune Luus (45th among batters and 33rd among bowlers) is another one with the potential of moving up in the table led by Jhulan Goswami of India.

For Pakistan, former captain Sana Mir would be looking to wrest back the top position among bowlers as she goes into this series in third position, just 12 rating points adrift of Goswami, and with the confidence of 29 wickets in 12 championship matches so far.

Left-arm spinner Nashra Sandhu (26th) and off-spinner Nida Dar (38th) are other leading bowlers for Pakistan while Javeria Khan (24th), Nahida Khan (26th), captain Bismah Maroof (31st) and Sana Mir (35th) are the leading batters for them.

Squads:

South Africa: Sune Luus (captain), Nadine De Klerk, Shabnim Ismail, Sinalo Jafta, Marizanne Kapp, Masabata Klaas, Lizelle Lee (wicketkeeper), Zintle Mali, Mignon du Preez, Tumi Sekhukhune, Nondumiso Shangase, Andrie Steyn, Chloe Tryon, Laura Wolvaardt.

Pakistan: Bismah Maroof (captain), Aiman Anwar, Aliya Riaz, Fatima Sana, Javeria Khan, Jaweria Rauf, Kainat Imtiaz, Nahida Khan, Nashra Sandhu, Nida Dar, Rameen Shamim, Sana Mir, Sidra Amin, Sidra Nawaz (wicketkeeper) and Omaima Sohail.

South Africa v Pakistan Fixtures: 6 May (1st ODI, Potchefstroom); 9 May (2nd ODI, Potchefstroom); 12 May (3rd ODI, Benoni)

ICC Women’s Championship results, statistics, points standings and fixtures are available here

MRF Tyres ICC Women’s ODI Player Rankings (as of 5 May, 2019)

Batters (top 10)

Rank Player Team Pts Avge Highest Rating

1 S Mandhana India 797! 42.41 797 v Eng at Mumbai 2019

2 Ellyse Perry Aus 756 51.84 773 v India at Vadodara 2018

3 A Satterthwaite NZ 755 38.98 777 v Aus at Bay Oval 2017

4 Mithali Raj India 713 51.29 878 v Aus at Baroda Vadodar 2004

5 Stafanie Taylor WI 695 43.96 785 v India at St Kitts (WP) 2012

6 Meg Lanning Aus 691 51.14 878 v NZ at Bay Oval 2016

7 Natalie Sciver Eng 689 38.92 712 v India at Mumbai 2019

8 T Beaumont Eng 685 40.53 706 v NZ at Leicester 2018

9 Suzie Bates NZ 679 42.64 796 v Aus at Bay Oval 2016

10 Sophie Devine NZ 678! 32.17 678 v Aus at Melbourne 2019

Bowlers (top 10)

Rank Player Team Pts Avge Eco Highest Rating

1 J Goswami India 730 21.34 3.25 816 v Eng at Chennai 2007

2 Jess Jonassen Aus 723 22.05 4.17 730 v NZ at Adelaide 2019

3 Sana Mir Pak 718 24.68 3.68 719 v WI at Dubai (GCA) 2019

4 M Schutt Aus 690 23.69 4.39 721 v Pak at Kuala Lumpur 2018

5 Shikha Pandey India 688*! 20.50 3.90 688 v Eng at Mumbai 2019

6 M Kapp SA 678 24.11 3.67 735 v India at Potchefstroom (N 2017

7 Shibnam Ismail SA 663 20.53 3.60 699 v Eng at Worcester 2018

8 Katherine Brunt Eng 659 23.06 3.48 811 v India at Mumbai 2013

9 Ellyse Perry Aus 657 26.12 4.37 738 v India at Mumbai 2012

10 Poonam Yadav India 656*! 21.09 3.80 656 v Eng at Mumbai 2019

All-rounders (top five)

Rank Player Team Pts Highest Rating

1 Ellyse Perry Aus 496 504 v India at Hobart 2016

2 Stafanie Taylor WI 414 602 v NZ at Kingston 2013

3= D van Niekerk SA 388 421 v SL at Potchefstroom 2019

Deepti Sharma India 388 397 v NZ at Hamilton 2019

5 Natalie Sciver Eng 307/*! 307 v SL at Katunayake 2019

Pakistan women team ready for challenging ODI series against South Africa

· “Preparation has been very good since we arrived in South Africa,” says Bismah Maroof.

· “Pakistan are one of the better teams they will provide us a good challenge,” says Sune Luus.

Lahore, May 5 2019:

Pakistan and South Africa women teams start their three match ICC Women’s Championship ODI series on Monday at the Senwes Park, Potchefstroom. The two captains Bismah Maroof and Sune Luus unveiled the series trophy on Sunday, a day ahead of the series opener.

Only a single point separates the two teams in the current ICC Women’s Championship standings. Pakistan occupy the sixth spot with 12 points while South Africa are in the fifth spot with 13 points.

Pakistan captain Bismah Maroof is satisfied with the team’s preparation since their arrival in South Africa, she feels that the team is fully equipped to challenge their hosts.

“Preparation has been very good since we arrived in South Africa. We played two practice matches and won both. The team is upbeat and ready for the series. The players have worked hard and I am very hopeful that we will have good results.

“The series is vital for both sides considering our standings in the ICC Women’s Championship, a victory in the series would be a huge lift for us and I have full confidence in my team that they can repeat the success against the West Indies and win the series in South Africa as well.” Bismah said.

South Africa captain Sune Luus is wary of the talent and abilities of the Pakistan team especially after their historic first-ever ODI series win against the West Indies earlier in the year.

“We are confident that our plans would be in place for the first game. Overall, we are a well balanced team and Pakistan are one of the better teams which will provide us a good challenge. I think they have a lot of young players and they have good energy, they have had good confidence against West Indies.

“We have prepared well for them so I am backing my team in the series which is very important for both sides considering the ICC Women’s Championship.” Luus said.

Among the two squads taking part in the ODI series, South Africa’s Lizelle Lee is the top-ranked batter in the ICC ODI batting rankings for women, she is currently on the 12th spot with 664 points.

Pakistan’s top-ranked batter is Javeria Khan; she is currently in the 24th spot with 536 points, two points ahead of teammate Nahida Khan.

Sana Mir with 718 points occupies the third spot in the ICC ODI bowling rankings for women with 718 points. South Africa’s Marizanne Kapp is placed sixth with a total of 678 points. Sana is sixth in the all-rounder rankings with 300 points while Kapp is eight with 293 points.

The first match starts at 1000 hrs, (1300 hrs Pakistan time). The second match will also be played at the same venue on 9 May while the third and final match is scheduled to take place in Benoni on 12 May. The ODI series will be followed by a five-match T20I series.

Pakistan women’s team for ICC Women’s Championship ODIs - Bismah Maroof (captain); Aiman Anwar; Aliya Riaz; Fatima Sana; Javeria Wadood Khan; Javeria Rauf; Kainat Imtiaz; Nahida Khan; Nashra Sandhu; Nida Dar; Rameen Shamim; Sana Mir; Sidra Amin; Sidra Nawaz (wicketkeeper) and Omaima Sohail

South Africa women’s ODI team ICC Women’s Championship ODIs -

Suné Luus (captain, Chloe Tryon (vice-captain), KwaZulu-Natal, Lizelle Lee (wicketkeeper), Andrie Steyn, Laura Wolvaardt, Shabnim Ismail, Mignon du Preez, Tumi Sekhukhune, Masabata Klaas, Marizanne Kapp, Nadine De Klerk, Zintle Mali, Nondumiso Shangase, Sinalo Jafta (wicketkeeper).

IMG-20190505-WA0024.jpg

Last edited:
IMG-20190506-WA0018.jpgIMG-20190506-WA0015.jpgIMG-20190506-WA0016.jpg

Pakistan Women's Team won the toss and elected to field first

Congratulations to Pak Women for their brilliant 8 wicket victory

RSAW 63 (22.5)PAKW
66/2 (14.4)Pakistan

Women won by 8 wkts

Sana Mir player of the match

31aa734c-0a43-480a-8195-4ddf5c0c2cb2.jpg

Sana Mir's four-wicket haul helped Pakistan clinch an eight-wicket victory over South Africa in the first of three one-day internationals at Potchefstroom on Monday, 6 May.

This was Pakistan's first-ever win in South Africa, and their biggest victory in terms of balls to spare, as they turned over the 64-run target in just 14.4 overs with 212 deliveries remaining.

Mir, who returned 4/11 in her six-over spell, was the lynchpin of the visitors' bowling effort. She removed Proteas opener Laura Wolvaardt and skipper Sune Luus off consecutive deliveries, just eight balls after Fatima Sana dismissed the experienced Lizelle Lee in the opening over.

Mir could not claim a hat-trick, but continued to wreak havoc with her off-spin, as Andrie Steyn was dismissed after playing out 15 deliveries for 4. Marizanne Kapp, playing her 100th ODI, didn't last long either and contributed just six runs before falling to Nida Dar, as the hosts tottered to 59/7.

Mignon du Preez (18) and Chloe Tryon (21) were the only players to reach double figures, but neither could kick off to take South Africa to a substantial total. The hosts were bundled out soon thereafter, with Nashra Sandhu bowling a maiden 22nd over to dismiss their last two batters, as the total was restricted to a paltry 63 – South Africa's second-lowest in ODI cricket.

The below-par target meant that Nahida Khan and Sidra Ameen, the Pakistan openers, could take their time in the middle. However, the former was dismissed off the third ball of the innings, as Shabnim Ismail claimed her scalp.

Javeria Khan then came into the middle, and the scoreboard started ticking at a steady pace. The visitors reached 28/1 in nine overs, after which Kapp made her special occasion count with Ameen's dismissal. It was her 110th scalp in ODI cricket.

Bismah Maroof, the Pakistan skipper, joined Khan in the middle and the duo utilized their experience to take the visitors past the finish line. The former remained unbeaten on a 17-ball 12*, while Khan top-scored on the day with 34*.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1210705

Sana Mir is an ATG in Pakistan's cricket. Truly inspirational. Carries herself with utmost grace and speaks eloquently.

Spin sends Proteas Women tumbling in opening ODI v Pakistan
Monday, 06 May 2019

The Proteas women had a dreadful start to their three-match One-Day International series against Pakistan after slipping to a record, eight-wicket loss to Pakistan at Senwes Park in Potchefstroom on Monday.

Batting first after losing the toss, the hosts were blown away for a poor 63 in 22.5 overs – their second lowest score ever in 50-over cricket.

This after off-break bowler and former captain, Sana Mir claimed an incredible 4/11 in six overs of torture, one of which was a maiden.

The visitors then made light work of the total as an unbeaten 34 off 43 balls, including seven fours by Javeria Khan led them to a lop-sided win with a massive 212 balls to spare.

It was one of the subcontinent nation’s finest wins in ODI cricket and only the fourth time they had beaten the South Africans in 19 attempts.

The result was undoubtedly set up by Player of the Match, Mir’s exceptional effort with the spin, while she was also aided by an almost equally brilliant effort from fellow slow bowler Nashra Sandhu, whose figures read 5.5-3-8-2.

Only two home batters managed doubled figures, top-scorer Chloe Tryon (21) and Mignon du Preez (18).

Fellow spinner Nida Dar claimed 2/12 in five overs.

Shabnim Ismail (1/18) and Marizanne Kapp (1/19) did manage a wicket each, but that proved a mere consolation as Pakistan cantered to victory, claiming the first two of six crucial ICC Women’s Championship points up for grabs in the series.

Proteas women’s ODI team

Proteas women’s T20 team

Tour Itinerary

Sana (4-11) scripts Pakistan biggest ODI victory in terms of deliveries remaining

• If Pakistan also wins the remaining two ODIs against South Africa, they will join England in second place on the ICC Women’s Championship points table

• Action photos are attached, please credit CSA; scorecard available here

Lahore, 6 May 2019:

A four-for by Sana Mir helped Pakistan record their biggest ODI victory to date in terms of deliveries remaining, the visitors registered a convincing eight-wicket victory over South Africa in the ICC Women’s Championship fixture in Potchefstroom on Monday.

Sana had figures of 6-1-11-4 as South Africa, put into bat, were spun out for a modest 63 in 22.5 overs. Pakistan raced to victory with eight wickets and 212 balls to spare with Javeria Khan returning 34 not out.

While this was Pakistan’s maiden ODI victory over South Africa in South Africa, it was only their second win over South Africa in ODIs with the previous one coming in Sharjah in the ICC Women’s Championship 2014-2016. On 13 March 2015, Pakistan had scored 216 for six before restricting South Africa to 159 for nine. Sana Mir had taken two for 22 on that day, but Bismah Maroof had walked off with the player of the match award for her 99.

The victory has moved Pakistan ahead of South Africa and on equal points (14) with New Zealand. However, Pakistan is placed below New Zealand in fifth position on net run-rate. Pakistan has played two less matches than New Zealand and if they can maintain their winning spree in the upcoming two ICC Women’s Championship matches, they will join England in second place on 18 points.

After the match, Sana Mir said: “It was a complete team effort by us. The wicket was moist, so we opted to bowl first. The bowlers bowled splendidly and the batters led by Javeria finished the task for us.

“I really enjoyed taking the new ball and I am really happy with contributing in a big win for the team. We can’t relax since South Africa will come back hard at us in the remaining games.”

South Africa captain Sune Luus said: “We failed in the batting department, we really prepared well for the series but it comes down to lack of execution and being indecisive. Hats off to them they played well and Sana Mir bowled really well.”

After Bismah Maroof made the right call on the spin of coin, 17-year-old debutant Fatima Sana opened the bowling and made a dream debut when she accounted for the dangerous Lizelle Lee with her third delivery in ODIs.

Sana Mir, who shared the new ball with Fatima, then took over and started sensationally by dismissing Laura Wolvaardt and Sune Luus on successive deliveries of her opening over. Sana was denied a hat-trick, but she added the wickets of Andrie Steyn and Mignon du Preez (playing her 100th ODI) as South Africa sunk to 35 for five.

Nashra Sandhu and Nida Dar then grabbed two wickets apiece to ensure South Africa doesn’t get off the hook as the hosts were bowled out for 63 in 22.5 overs. This was their second lowest total after they had scored 51 against New Zealand in Bowral on 12 March, 2009.

Pakistan lost openers Nahida Khan (four) and Sidra Amin (10) early, but an unbroken 38-run third wicket partnership between Javeria Khan 34 not out (43 balls, seven fours) and Bismah (12 not out) took Pakistan past the target in 14.4 overs.

The second match of the series will be played on Thursday, 9 May in Potchefstroom.

Scores in brief:

1st ODI, Potchefstroom, Pakistan beat South Africa by eight wickets

South Africa Women 63 all out, 22.5 overs (Chloe Tryon 21, Mignon du Preez 18; Sana Mir 4-11, Nashra Sandhu 2-8, Nida Dar 2-12)

Pakistan Women 66-2, 14.4 overs (Javeria Khan 34 not out, Bismah Maroof 12 not out; Shabnim Ismail 1-18, Marizanne Kapp 1-19)

Player of the match: Sana Mir

View attachment 91035

Excellent performance. Good to see girls are playing well and improving in recent times while our boys have been a let down for sometime now.

Incredible performance.
So heartening to see.
Well done to the girls.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congratulations Pakistan Women’s team, great start to a difficult tour. But from what we saw today, these women have the foundation to not only win this series but make it a very memorable one <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SAWvPAKW?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SAWvPAKW</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BackOurGirls?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BackOurGirls</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PakistanCricket?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#PakistanCricket</a> &#55356;&#56821;&#55356;&#56816;</p>— Wasim Akram (@wasimakramlive) <a href="https://twitter.com/wasimakramlive/status/1125408344808808449?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 6, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Congratz Pakistan women's team for winning the first ODI match and that too in South Africa well done ladies :) saw the highlights some great stuff by this team

Sana Mir and Pakistan chase history

• Sana needs two wickets to become most successful women’s ODI spinner; Pakistan need a win to beat South Africa for the first time in an ODI series

Lahore, 8 May 2019:

Sana Mir will aim to become the most successful ODI spinner in the world, while Pakistan will attempt to win their maiden series against South Africa on Thursday when Potchefstroom will host the second One-Day International of the ICC Women’s Championship between the two sides.

Sana returned figures of 6-1-11-4 in the opening match on Monday to send South Africa spinning out for 63 in 22.5 overs. Pakistan raced to victory with 212 balls – their biggest in terms of balls remaining - and eight wickets to spare.

Sana, Pakistan’s most celebrated and gifted women cricketer, is presently sitting on 145 wickets and needs two wickets to move ahead of Anisa Mohammed of the Windies and Lisa Sthalekar of Australia. In doing so, she will also jump from fifth to third in the list of most successful bowlers, which is headed by fast bowlers Jhulan Goswami of India (218) and Australia’s Cathryn Fitzpatrick (180).

"I have been blessed by the Almighty to be able to represent my country for so long. I have never aimed for a personal milestone like this until now. As now I am two wickets away so I would definitely want the Pakistan flag in the list to jump up few places but our first aim for next match is to seal the series, representing Pakistan and cricket has been an absolute honour."

“If we can win it, then the result will mean more to everyone, including millions of fans following us back home,” Sana Mir said, adding: “The culture of this team is to look at the larger picture and always put the team before yourself.

“The new culture has changed the outlook and performance of the side and today we stand on the verge of winning our first-ever ODI series against South Africa and that too in South Africa. But we cannot afford to be complacent, we know South Africa will come back hard at us and we will have to be at our brilliant best to prevent them from getting back in the series.”

Pakistan women’s cricket team had also defeated the West Indies earlier this year in Sharjah in the ICC Women’s Championship. It was their maiden series win over their more experienced, fancied and formidable opponents, who had also won the ICC T20 World Cup 2016 in Kolkata, India.

Sana said she will be more delighted if her record inspired the next generation of women cricketers.

“Of course, if I become the most successful ODI spinner in the world, I will be delighted. Every athlete takes the field to do and achieve something special and extraordinary, something that can go down in the annals of history. So, in this background, it will be a very satisfying moment for me and I will feel humbled to become the most successful ODI spinner in the world.

“But, it will also be a great advertisement for Pakistan and women’s cricket in Pakistan. I will feel privileged if I can do anything that can help enhance the profile of women’s cricket in Pakistan and inspire next generation of cricketers.”

Sana is presently ranked third in the ICC rankings, but is expected to make an upward movement when the rankings are updated and released on Monday, 13 May.

Pakistan have previously defeated South Africa in four ODIs, but never won a series. They first won in November 2011 by three wickets in Dhaka, then in January 2014 by four wickets in Doha, then in March 2015 by 57 runs in Sharjah and finally by eight wickets on Monday in Potchefstroom.

With the top four sides from the ICC Women’s Championship to qualify directly for the ICC Women’s World Cup 2021, Pakistan have a chance to rise as high as second in the points table.

However, to make it happen, Pakistan will have to win both the remaining matches that will lift them from fifth to join England on 18 points. The net run-rate will then decide which side will be placed second and third.

Squads (to be selected from):

Pakistan - Bismah Maroof (captain); Aiman Anwar; Aliya Riaz; Fatima Sana; Javeria Wadood Khan; Javeria Rauf; Kainat Imtiaz; Nahida Khan; Nashra Sandhu; Nida Dar; Rameen Shamim; Sana Mir; Sidra Amin; Sidra Nawaz (wicketkeeper) and Omaima Sohail

South Africa - Suné Luus (captain, Chloe Tryon (vice-captain), KwaZulu-Natal, Lizelle Lee (wicketkeeper), Andrie Steyn, Laura Wolvaardt, Shabnim Ismail, Mignon du Preez, Tumi Sekhukhune, Masabata Klaas, Marizanne Kapp, Nadine De Klerk, Zintle Mali, Nondumiso Shangase, Sinalo Jafta (wicketkeeper).

ICC Women’s Championship points table

Team Matches Won Lost N/R Points
Australia 12 11 1 0 22
England 15 9 6 0 18
India 15 8 7 0 16
New Zealand 15 7 8 0 14
Pakistan 13 7 6 0 14
South Africa 13 6 6 1 13
Windies 12 5 6 1 11
Sri Lanka 15 1 14 0 2

Upcoming matches:

IMG-20190508-WA0028.jpg

Last edited:
South Africa women's team won the toss and elected to field first in the 2nd ODI

IMG-20190509-WA0006.jpgIMG-20190509-WA0004.jpgIMG-20190509-WA0005.jpg78744260-c454-4814-a5bb-bc9d54d61a93.jpg

Last edited:
Media Advisory: South Africa go unchanged in second WODI, elect to field first

Thursday, 09 May 2019

The Proteas women have gone unchanged against Pakistan in their must-win second One-Day International of the ICC Women’s Championship at Senwes Park on Thursday. The tourists are 1-0 up after an emphatic, eight-wicket win in their opening encounter on Monday.

South Africa’s captain, Sune Luus won the toss and elected to field first with the series hanging in the balance.

Proteas women’s ODI team for Match 2

Suné Luus (captain, Northerns), Chloe Tryon (vice-captain, KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Lizelle Lee (North West), Andrie Steyn (Western Province), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Shabnim Ismail (Gauteng), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Masabata Klaas (North West), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Sinalo Jafta (wicket-keeper, North West).

Tour Itinerary

Last edited:
Not looking that great for Pak Women in this game

PAKW 147 (42.0)
RSAW 16/0 (1.0) CRR: 16 REQ: 2.69
South Africa Women need 132 runs

A collapse bit like men’s team: from 141/4 to 147 all out.

6072e33d-eed9-452f-9e73-c0d53fd87861.jpg31b6c243-7db1-4651-8975-edc228fe450f.jpg2cd11e09-13bb-4315-ae6a-f732f2148ff7.jpg0804284c-3177-4c39-bc44-53042272ee26.jpg

Pictures from 1st innings of 2nd ODI

A hat-trick from medium-pacer Masbata Klaas headlined a dominant bowling performance from South Africa Women as they dismissed Pakistan Women for 147 and cantered to an eight-wicket win in the second ODI in Potchefstroom.

The win helped South Africa draw level in the three-match series, after conceding the first ODI by the same margin.

Klass’ efforts saw her achieve career-best figures of 3-27 in nine overs. She found ample support all around, with each of South Africa’s six bowlers, barring Chloe Tryon, chipping in with at least a wicket apiece.

Their efforts scuppered a strong start from Pakistan, as they reached 84 for the loss of one wicket. Opening batter Nahida Khan was especially belligerent, reeling off 37 off 34 balls, with the help of six fours. Each of Pakistan’s top four, in fact, got off to starts, but none could make theirs count.

As a result, they lost three wickets for the addition of just 10 runs, slipping to 99/4 in the process. Respite arrived when Bismah Maroof, the captain, partnered Aliya Riaz for a fifth-wicket stand of 42. But that was followed by another meltdown, orchestrated by Klaas, as Pakistan lost their last six wickets for the addition of as many runs. In all, eight overs remained unused from Pakistan’s innings.

South Africa’s chase received a powerful start, with Lizelle Lee punching 40 off 43 balls and dominating an opening stand of 76 with Laura Wolvaardt. Andrie Steyn fell cheaply to Sana Mir’s off-spin, but Wolvaardt remained unbeaten on 74 to finish off the chase for her team. Her third-wicket partnership with captain Sune Luus (21*) remained unbroken at 51.

The two teams will now clash in the series decider on Sunday, 12 May, at Benoni’s Willowmoore Park.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1213456

Last edited:
South Africa win second ODI as Sana Mir equals the record for most wickets by a spinner in women’s O

•Sana dismissed Andrie Steyn to join Anisa Mohammed and Lisa Sthalekar on 146 wickets, joint-most for spinners in women’s ODIs.

Lahore, 9 May 2019:

Pakistan off-spinner Sana Mir took the 146th wicket of her ODI career to join Anisa Mohammed and Lisa Sthalekar on the top of the most-wickets list for spinners in women’s ODI cricket as South Africa beat Pakistan by eight wickets in the second ICC Women’s Championship match played at the Senwes Park in Potchefstroom on Thursday.

Sana took Steyn’s wicket in the 23rd over the match (117th match of her career), Sana’s seventh of her spell of 9-1-35-1.

South Africa chased down the 148-run target in 36.4 overs for the loss of two wickets. Opener Laura Wolvaardt led her side’s chase, remaining unbeaten on 74 off 114 balls with the help of nine fours.

Wolvaardt added 76 for the first wicket with Lizelle Lee who made 40 runs off 43 balls with the help of six fours. After Steyn’s dismissal at the total of 97, Wolvaardt added 51 runs for the unbroken third wicket partnership with captain Sune Luus who scored 21 off 41 balls.

Umaima Sohail was the other successful Pakistan bowler besides Sana, she took one wicket for 24 runs in five overs.

Earlier, Pakistan, asked to bat first, were dismissed for 147 runs in 42 overs after a bright 50-run opening partnership between Nahida Khan (37) and Sidra Amin (25). Nahida who top-scored for the visitors was the first wicket to fall, she was dismissed on the last ball of the 12th over.

Nahida’s 34-ball innings included six fours. Sidra and Javeria Khan (20) took the total to 84, however, both fell at the same total, while Nida Dar (two) fell in the 25th over with the score at 99.

Captain Bismah Maroof (32 off 49 balls, four fours) and Aliya Riaz (17 off 46 balls, two fours) took the score to 141, adding 42 runs for the fifth wicket. Bismah was dismissed by Shabnim Ismail in the 37th over.

Player of the match Masabata Klaas then took a hat-trick dismissing Aliya, Omaima Sohail (five) and Sidra Nawaz (nought) off three successive deliveries of the 39th over to peg Pakistan back.

The last five wickets fell for the addition of six runs as Pakistan collapsed from 141 for five to 147 all out.

Klaas (3 for 27) was the most successful South Africa bowler. Tumi Sekhukhune and Sune Luus took two wickets each. The third and final match will be played in Benoni on 12 May.

2nd ODI, Potchefstroom, South Africa win by eight wickets

Pakistan Women 147 all out, 42 overs (Nahida Khan 37, Bismah Maroof 32, Sidra Amin 25; Masabata Klaas 3-27, Tumi Sekhukhune 2-20, Sune Luus 2-24)

South Africa Women 148-2, 36.4 overs (Laura Wolvaardt 74, Lizelle Lee 40; Omaima Sohail 1-24)

Player of the match: Masabata Klaas

Pak_vs_Sa_09_05_2019.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Klaas, Wolvaardt star as Proteas women level series

Thursday, 09 May 2019

A maiden hat-trick by Masabata Klaas coupled with Laura Wolvaardt’s 13th career half-century helped the Proteas Women deliver the perfect response after they levelled their three-match, One-Day International series with Pakistan thanks to an eight-wicket win in Potchefstroom on Thursday.

After a crushing defeat by the same margin in the opening game on Monday, the hosts turned in a strong display at Senwes Park to win with 80 deliveries to spare.

After winning the toss and bowling, the Masabata Klaas-inspired South Africans bowled out the tourists for 147, the bowler become only the 10th woman to ever take a hat-trick in ODI cricket. After that, opener Wolvaardt hit a composed unbeaten 74 off 104 balls (9 fours) to take the series to the decisive third game in Benoni on Sunday.

More importantly, however, the result handed the home side two crucial points on the ICC Women’s Championship table, which lifted them from sixth up to fourth, leaving everything to play for at Willowmoore Park.

Although Wolvaardt was the stand-out batter, her efforts were made possible by the bowlers, who bowled the tourists out for 147. This after they made a strong start to the game when they progressed to 50 for none thanks to a solid opening stand between Nahida Khan (37) and Sidra Ameen (25).

Both were removed by Tumi Sekhukhune, who excelled with 2/20, before captain Sune Luus (2/24) cut through the middle order.

Bismah Maroof (32) was the only other player to cross 30 as Klaas and Marizanne Kapp (2/28) demolished the tail – the former finishing as the pick of the bowlers with 3/27 as the visitors were all out in 42 overs.

It was also the best career return for the Botshabelo-born seamer as she beat her previous mark of 3/32 against New Zealand at Paarl in 2016/17.

Lizelle Lee (40) then helped Wolvaardt lay a solid foundation to the chase with an opening stand of 76.

Andrie Steyn (9) then fell cheaply, but Luus’ unbeaten 21 helped the South Africans comfortably cross the line with more than 13 overs to spare.

Proteas women’s ODI team for Match 2

Suné Luus (captain, Northerns), Chloe Tryon (vice-captain, KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Lizelle Lee (North West), Andrie Steyn (Western Province), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Shabnim Ismail (Gauteng), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Masabata Klaas (North West), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Sinalo Jafta (wicket-keeper, North West).

Tour Itinerary

Pakistan women team focused on match and series win in Benoni

• “We know the importance of these two points, we will try our best to win the match and win the series,” says captain Bismah Maroof

Lahore, 11 May 2019:

Pakistan are fully focused on winning the third and final match and with it the ICC Women’s Championship ODI series against South Africa when the two teams line-up for the series decider at the Willowmoore Park, Benoni on Sunday. The series is presently tied at 1-1 with two contrasting results in the first two matches.

Pakistan won the first game by eight wickets while the hosts bounced back to win the second also by eight wickets, both games were played at the Senwes Park in Potchefstroom.

Pakistan captain Bismah Maroof realises the importance of the third game and the two points that will come with a win, the visitors currently have 14 points from as many games of the ICC Women’s Championship and are placed sixth, a point behind South Africa who have 15.

“The girls are ready for the challenge that the third game offers, we know the importance of these two points, we will try our best to win the match and win the series.” Bismah said.

In the series opener, Sana Mir’s four-wicket haul helped Pakistan bowl out the hosts for a paltry 63-run total (second lowest ODI total for South Africa), the top-order led by Javeria Khan’s unbeaten 34 helped the Pakistan cruise home with 212 balls to spare, Pakistan biggest ODI victory in terms of deliveries remaining.

In the second game Pakistan got off to a flying start with Nahida Khan’s 34-ball 37 helping the team to a 50-run opening wicket stand. However a middle and late order collapse including a hat-trick by Masabata Klaas had the visitors dismissed for 147 runs in 42 overs. South Africa opener Laura Wolvaardt’s unbeaten 74 guided her side to an eight wicket win.

Bismah feels that the third game should be an exciting one despite the one-sided results in the first two.

“It is 1-1 right now, third match should be an exciting one. Both teams know the value of the third game and I think we will see a real close game since a lot depends on the result. In the first match our bowling dominated, second match we started very well with the bat but could not capitalise on the start we got.”

A victory will give Pakistan a first-ever ODI series win against South Africa. Meanwhile, star off-spinner Sana Mir will start the third ODI needing a wicket more to become the most successful spinner in women’s ODIs. Her current wickets tally is 146 same as spinners Anisa Mohammed (West Indies) and Lisa Sthalekar (Australia).
Squads (to be selected from):

Pakistan - Bismah Maroof (captain); Aiman Anwar; Aliya Riaz; Fatima Sana; Javeria Wadood Khan; Javeria Rauf; Kainat Imtiaz; Nahida Khan; Nashra Sandhu; Nida Dar; Rameen Shamim; Sana Mir; Sidra Amin; Sidra Nawaz (wicketkeeper) and Omaima Sohail

South Africa - Suné Luus (captain, Chloe Tryon (vice-captain), KwaZulu-Natal, Lizelle Lee (wicketkeeper), Andrie Steyn, Laura Wolvaardt, Shabnim Ismail, Mignon du Preez, Tumi Sekhukhune, Masabata Klaas, Marizanne Kapp, Nadine De Klerk, Zintle Mali, Nondumiso Shangase, Sinalo Jafta (wicketkeeper).

Pakistan women team win toss and elect to field first in third ODI against South Africa in Benoni.

IMG-20190512-WA0006.jpgIMG-20190512-WA0007.jpgIMG-20190512-WA0008.jpgIMG-20190512-WA0005.jpgIMG-20190512-WA0004.jpg

Sana Mir – from a street cricketer to the most successful women’s ODI spinner

• “My father was in Army, so, we had to move around a lot. This meant making new friends, but at the same time proving my cricket abilities to them again and again,” recalls Sana

• “Sana has been a great role model for our cricket, her hard work, dedication and humility is absolutely admirable,” says chief selector and former captain Urooj Mumtaz

Lahore, 12 May 2019:

Pakistan’s off-spinner Sana Mir has become the most successful women’s ODI spinner in the world when she dismissed South Africa’s Sune Luus in the third One-Day International of the ICC Women’s Championship in Benoni on Sunday.

In doing so, she claimed her 147th ODI wicket in her 118th appearance, which has helped her leapfrog Anisa Mohammed of the Windies and Australia’s Lisa Sthalekar into third place on the all-time list of most successful bowlers, behind fast bowlers Jhulan Goswami of India (218) and Australia’s Cathryn Fitzpatrick (180).

Sana Mir is presently the third ranked ICC bowler, but is expected to make an upward movement when the new rankings are released on Monday, 13 May. In October last year, she had become the first Pakistan bowler to top the ICC rankings.

Sana Mir made her ODI debut, eight days shy of her 20th birthday against Sri Lanka at the National Stadium in the ACC Women’s Asia Cup match. She remained wicket-less, but scored 23 runs with the bat.

Recalling her early days, Sana Mir said she had to overcome a number of challenges. “The journey started by proving at every street, where I played cricket, that girls could play this sport. We didn’t have any role models, girls taking part in cricket was not that common.

“My father was in Army, so, we had to move around a lot. This meant making new friends, but at the same time proving my cricket abilities to them again and again.

“From street cricket to playing on the grounds and moving to stadia donning the Pakistan kit were moments of immense pride. From there, my goals started getting bigger and bigger as I started achieving results on the field.

“The more your intention is to contribute for the team, the more success comes to you. This journey has taught me that keeping the team goal ahead of everything else brings satisfaction along with fame, recognition and success.”

Former captain and current chief selector Urooj Mumtaz, who captained Sana in 26 ODIs, congratulated her former colleague and called her a true inspiration for women cricketers not only in Pakistan but around the world.

“Sana has been a great role model for our cricket, in fact, world cricket, her hard work, dedication and humility is absolutely admirable.

“I captained Pakistan when we were just starting and it was a great help having her in my side. Sana was a calm and composed character, and these qualities have made her such a great performer.

“I have really enjoyed captaining her as she had a great cricketing mind. Her achievements as a bowler don’t surprise me much since I have always felt she would go a long way considering the talent and the ability she had of applying herself under pressure.

“I really want to wish her the best and hope that she continues to inspire youngsters and continues to bring laurels to the country.”

Sana captained Pakistan from 2009 to 2017 and also inspired her side to Asian Games Gold medals in 2010 and 2014. As captain, she took 83 wickets in 72 ODI matches besides scoring 1069 runs.

In 100 T20Is, Sana has dismissed 84 batters, including Ireland’s Laura Delany off a delivery that pitched outside the leg stump and hit top of the middle stump. The deliver was later voted as Play of ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2018.

Sana has completed her Bachelors in Science.

Pakistan players congratulate Sana Mir on her record breaking 147th women's ODI wicket against South Africa in Benoni

IMG-20190512-WA0019.jpg

I thought our women's team was absolutely bad. But they're making history now. Beat wi and now have beaten sa. How are they suddenly improving so much?

I thought we were goners once it was 170 odd with barely 10 overs to go but man what a turnaround.

What an incredible last over.
Well done to Nashra for that six.Unbelievable stuff.
Good draw for them.will do wonders to their confidence.

The 3rd ODI has been tied, ODI series ended with 1-1. Aliya Riaz is the Player of the Match.

Pak_vs_Sa_12_05_2019.jpg

Was a Great chase and great exciting match,unfortunately there was no audio in live streaming

Our men's team should take a leaf from their book
They do not have the same resources and oppurtunities as our men's team but they are hardworking and have the spirit atleast.

What a shame that their was no proper coverage even.

Third ODI ends in a thrilling tie as Pakistan and South Africa share points

• Pakistan jump to fifth spot in ICC Women's Championship
• Sana Mir dismissed Sune Luus to become highest wicket-taking spinner in women’s ODIs.

Lahore, 12 May 2019:

Number 11 batter Nashra Sandhu hit a six off the penultimate ball of the match and then took a single off the final ball with two runs needed to lead Pakistan to a dramatic tie in the third and final ODI against South Africa at the Willowmoore Park, Benoni on Sunday.

The result meant that the two teams shared the three match ODI series 1-1. At the end of the series Pakistan occupy the fifth spot in the ICC Women’s Championship rankings with 15 points from as many games, one more than New Zealand who have 14 points.

Chasing 266 runs for an improbable win, Pakistan batters led by Javeria Khan (74 off 103 balls, nine fours) and Aliya Riaz (71 off 82 balls, six fours and three sixes) fought back brilliantly after a stuttering start. The two added 74 runs for the fifth wicket after Pakistan had been reduced to 91 for four in the 24th over.

Aliya added 32 for the sixth wicket with Umaima Sohail (16 off 13 balls, two fours) and 46 for the seventh wicket with Sana Mir (16 off 14 balls, two fours) to keep Pakistan in the hunt. Aliya was the eight wicket to fall with the visitors still needing 17 to win.

Aiman Anwar was run out leaving the last pair of Nashra and Sidra Nawaz with the task of 11 runs off four balls, soon after, Nashra’s heroics sealed a thrilling tie for Pakistan.

Earlier, South Africa posted 265 runs for the loss of six wickets in their allotted 50 overs. Pakistan captain Bismah Maroof won the toss and opted to field first.

Sana Mir took the 147th wicket of her career to become the highest wicket-taking spinner in women’s ODIs. Sana dismissed South Africa captain Sune Luus in her 10th and final over, 49th of the South Africa innings.

South Africa openers Lizelle Lee (57 off 61 balls, 10 fours) and Laura Wolvaardt (56 off 84 balls, five fours) added 75 runs for the first wicket in 15.1 overs. Aliya took two quick wickets sending back Lee and Andrie Steyn (9) with the total at 90 after 20 overs.

Wolvaardt added 60 runs with Luus who top-scored for her team with an 84-ball 80 that included six fours and two sixes. After Wolvaardt and Mignon du Preez’s (15) departure, Luus found good support in Chloe Tryon who made a quickfire 28 off 15 balls.

For Pakistan, Aliya with figures of 10-1-49-2 was the most successful bowler, Aimen Anwar, Nida Dar and Sana took a wicket each.

3rd ODI, Benoni, match tied, series drawn 1-1.

Scores in brief:

South Africa Women 265/6, 50 overs (Sune Luus 80, Lizelle Lee 57, Laura Wolvaardt 56; Aliya Riaz 2-49)

Pakistan Women 265/9, 50 overs (Javeria Khan 74, Aliya Riaz 71, Nida Dar 27; Masabata Klaas 3-55, Marizanne Kapp 2-57)

Player of the match: Aliya Riaz

Player of the series: Laura Wolvaardt

d171749d-0947-4cc0-8f99-dd7cc6c89ae9.jpgea16e5da-a58a-45b4-adba-fc6fdd3c3b3f.jpg

Our men's team should take a leaf from their book
They do not have the same resources and oppurtunities as our men's team but they are hardworking and have the spirit atleast.

What a shame that their was no proper coverage even.

Girls are on the ascend since last year first win against WI and then good performance against SA.

They are doing good keep it up

Pakistan and South Africa women teams turn focus to T20I series after exciting ODI series

• All-rounder Iram Javed joins Pakistan squad, first T20I to be played in Pretoria on Wednesday.

• It’s been a great ODI series and now we are very excited about what’s to come in the next 10 to 12 days in terms of our T20I cricket, Pakistan head coach Mark Coles.

Lahore, 14 May 2019:

After an absorbing three-match ODI series that ended with a thrilling tied game in Benoni on Sunday, South Africa and Pakistan enter the five-match T20I series with the opening clash on Wednesday at LC de Villiers Oval in Pretoria.

Pakistan have made one change to the squad that played the ODI series, opener Nahida Khan has been replaced by all-rounder Iram Javed.

Head coach Mark Coles feels that the T20I series will be an exciting one following the closely fought ODI series, Iram’s addition, Coles added, will bolster Pakistan’s squad as the team builds for next year’s ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia.

“We are really looking forward to the T2oI series after the one-day series. There are a lot of areas that we can improve on, we are pretty confident with our game plans we just have to make sure we execute them. The arrival of Iram Javed gives us a little bit more firepower in the batting as well so we are really looking forward to it.

“It’s been a great ODI series and now we are very excited about what’s to come in the next 10 to 12 days in terms of our T20I cricket and our build up to the T20I World Cup next February-March in Australia.”

Pakistan are currently ranked seventh in the ICC women’s T20I rankings while South Africa are placed sixth. The two teams have so far contested in nine T20Is, Pakistan have won four while South Africa have been victorious on five occasions.

The two teams last played a three-match T20I series in the UAE in March 2015, South Africa won the series 2-1 with Pakistan taking the series opener at Sharjah by a five wicket margin.

In the ICC batting rankings, Pakistan captain Bismah Maroof and star batter Javeria Khan share the 16th spot, both have 571 points each.

South Africa’s highest ranked batter from their T2oI series squad is Mignon du Preez, she is placed 23rd with 524 points, 11th placed is regular South Africa captain Dane van Niekerk who is not part of the current squad due to an injury.

In the ICC bowler rankings, South Africa fast bowler Shabnim Ismail is placed fifth with 681 points, Pakistan’s left-arm spinner Nashra Sandhu is 10th with 643 points.

Marizanne Kapp is 10th in the ICC all-rounder rankings with 285 points while Pakistan’s Nida Dar occupies the 12th spot with 252 points.

All five T20I matches will start at 1600 hrs Pakistan time.

Pakistan women’s team for T20Is - Bismah Maroof (captain); Aiman Anwar; Aliya Riaz; Fatima Sana; Iram Javed; Javeria Wadood Khan; Javeria Rauf; Kainat Imtiaz; Nashra Sundhu; Nida Dar; Rameen Shamim; Sana Mir; Sidra Amin; Sidra Nawaz (wicketkeeper) and Omaima Sohail.

South Africa women’s team for T2oIs – Suné Luus (captain) Chloe Tryon (vice-captain), Laura Wolvaardt, Lizelle Lee, Marizanne Kapp, Masabata Klaas, Mignon du Preez, Moseline Daniels, Nadine De Klerk, Nondumiso Shangase, Shabnim Ismail, Sinalo Jafta (wicketkeeper), Tazmin Brits, Tumi Sekhukhune,.

T20I series schedule:

IMG-20190514-WA0008.jpg

Last edited:
Nida Dar’s all-round display inspires Pakistan women to comfortable win in first T20I against South Africa

Lahore, May 15 2019:

All-rounder Nida Dar scored a half-century and took two wickets to lead Pakistan to a seven wicket win against South Africa in the first T20I match played at LC de Villiers Oval in Pretoria on Wednesday, Pakistan have taken a 1-0 lead in the five match series.

The Gujranwala-born Nida, who was named player of the match, followed an impeccable opening spell by Sana Mir to take two wickets as South Africa were restricted to 119 for seven in their 20 overs.

With the bat, Nida added 89 runs for the third wicket with captain Bismah Maroof to guide Pakistan home with two overs to spare.

Sana Mir who took four wickets in Pakistan’s first-ever ODI win in South Africa last week, produced another brilliant spell of off-spin bowling to derail the hosts batting line-up after they were asked to bat first by Bismah. Sana, the highest wicket-taking spinner in ODIs, made a remarkable start with two wickets in her first over.

Sana trapped opener Lizelle Lee lbw for nought on the second ball of the match and followed that with the wicket of the other opener Tazmin Brits three balls later, Brits was caught behind by wicketkeeper Sidra Nawaz, she also failed to score.

Pakistan bowlers continued to make inroads as South Africa were reduced to 61 for six after 14 overs. A 54-run partnership for the seventh wicket between Chloe Tryon (43) and Shabnim Ismail (20 not out) took the score to 115 in the final over, South Africa ended their innings at 119 for seven.

Nida provided great support to Sana, the off-spinner took two wickets for 30 runs in her four overs, Aliya Riaz and Nashra Sandhu took a wicket each.

Pakistan lost two early wickets in the chase but the partnership between Nida and Bismah ensured that the visitors achieve the target with ease. Bismah scored an unbeaten 53 off 48 balls, her innings included four fours.

Nida who was the more aggressive of the two scored 53 off 37 balls, her innings included seven fours and two sixes. The second match of the five match series will be played on Saturday, 18 May in Pietermaritzburg.

1st T20I, Pretoria, Pakistan won by seven wickets

Scores in brief:

South Africa Women 119/7, 20 overs (Chloe Tryon 43 Mignon du Preez 23, Shabnim Ismail 20 not out; Sana Mir 3-14, Nida Dar 2-30)

Pakistan Women 120/3, 20 overs (Bismah Maroof 53 not out, Nida Dar 53; Masabata Klaas 1-16)

Player of the match: Nida Dar

7e4158af-4535-426c-8967-33599f79dffa.jpg283d2cd1-35d2-43eb-a818-9438b42f2151.jpg

Great comprehesive performance today, after the south african captain said their bowling was the best as well:))):)))

Seems like Pakistan women are improving a lot.

South Africa Women vs Pakistan Women, 2nd T20I

Rameen Shamim making her T20 debut in this game

8bd2435a-d632-4a4d-977d-4a5eb8541881.jpg

Pakistan Women won the toss and opt to bat

60050cea-754d-4652-b5f8-c8bf33e38e7e.jpg9f6db2e7-a731-4355-90c7-e0f5bc9cafb5.jpg

PAKW 128/5 (20.0)

RSAW 5/0 (0.4) CRR: 7.5 REQ: 6.41

South Africa Women need 124 runs

PAKW 128/5 (20.0)

RSAW 129/2 (19.5) CRR: 6.5

South Africa Women won by 8 wkts

8802076b-5304-4163-95dd-5cda445e58c9.jpgc504f579-24b0-465b-adb6-bdbe4c682b51.jpg

Kapp and Lee help South Africa women level T20I series

Lahore, 18 May 2019:

Half-centuries by Marizanne Kapp and Lizelle Lee helped South Africa women win the second T20I against Pakistan women by eight wickets in Pietermaritzburg on Saturday.

Kapp remained unbeaten on 56, while Lee was dismissed for an identical score in the final over as the home side achieved the victory target of 129 on the penultimate delivery to level the five-match series at one-all.

Kapp struck six fours in a 51-ball 56, while Lee hit five fours and a six in a 52-ball 57 as the two batters added 96 runs for the second wicket.

Earlier, captain Bismah Maroof scored 63 not out from 55 balls with nine fours to guide Pakistan to 128 for five in 20 overs. Umaima Sohail (23), Javeria Rauf (16) and Aliya Riaz (13) were the other batters to reach double figures.

Sune Luus bagged two wickets, while Kapp, Masabata Klass and Tumi Sekhukhune took a wicket each.

Scores in brief:

Pakistan women 128-5, 20 overs (Bismah Maroof 63 not out; Sune Luss 2-29)

South Africa women 129-2, 19.5 overs (Marizanne Kapp 56 not out, Lizelle Lee not out)

Kapp and Lee help South Africa women level T20I series

• Third T20I to be played on Sunday and will be live-streamed at www.pcb.com.pk

Lahore, 18 May 2019:

Half-centuries by Marizanne Kapp and Lizelle Lee helped South Africa women win the second T20I against Pakistan women by eight wickets in Pietermaritzburg on Saturday.

Kapp remained unbeaten on 56, while Lee was dismissed for an identical score in the final over as the home side achieved the victory target of 129 on the penultimate delivery to level the five-match series at one-all.

Kapp struck six fours in a 51-ball 56, while Lee hit five fours and a six in a 52-ball 57 as the two batters added 96 runs for the second wicket.

Earlier, captain Bismah Maroof scored 63 not out from 55 balls with nine fours to guide Pakistan to 128 for five in 20 overs. Umaima Sohail (23), Javeria Rauf (16) and Aliya Riaz (13) were the other batters to reach double figures.

Sune Luus bagged two wickets, while Kapp, Masabata Klass and Tumi Sekhukhune took a wicket each.

The third T20I will be played at the same venue on Sunday. Live-scoring and streaming will be available at www.pcb.com.pk.

Scores in brief:

Pakistan women 128-5, 20 overs (Bismah Maroof 63 not out; Sune Luss 2-29)

South Africa women 129-2, 19.5 overs (Marizanne Kapp 56 not out, Lizelle Lee not out)

South Africa Women vs Pakistan Women, 3rd T20I today

Career-best efforts from Tazmin Brits and Moseline Daniels were not enough as the Proteas Women slipped to a four-wicket defeat to Pakistan in the third T20 International at the City Oval in Pietermaritzburg on Sunday.

Opener Brits slammed an unbeaten 70 off 61 balls (9 fours, 1 six) to help the hosts post a competitive 138/3 after they lost the toss and were put into bat on a warm autumn afternoon in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands.

It looked an insurmountable total three overs into the chase when the tourists were reduced to 3/3 thanks to Shabnim Ismail’s outstanding 2/6, but a personal best score of 55 (45 balls, 7 fours, 1 six) from Iram Javed took her side to the win with two balls remaining.

For her part, Daniels excelled with a fantastic 4/20, but it was not enough as South Africa fell 2-1 behind in the five-match series.

It was a disappointing defeat, especially after they looked the stronger side for three-quarters of the match.

They lost Lizelle Lee (2) early in the match, before a fine 80-run second wicket stand between Britz and Nadine de Klerk (36) set them on their way, before the final flourish came from the bat of captain Sune Luus, who clubbed a quick-fire 28 off 18 balls– the home side setting 139 for victory.

Ismail and Daniels then stunned the Pakistani top order by taking them out for 0, 1 and 2 - Javeria Khan, Bismah Maroof and Umaima Sohail failing to make any impression.

Then came the rebuilding job as Nida Dar and Javed put on 77 for the fourth wicket.

And despite the loss of all those wickets, the away side was never threatened by the run rate.

Even after Dar departed for 32, Aliya Riaz (30) threw her weight behind Javed to take Pakistan to the brink, with Kainat Imtiaz (7) and Sana Mir (6) carrying them over the line.

The series now moves to Benoni for the final two matches, with the next one taking place at Willowmoore Park on 22 May 2019.

Pakistan women won the match by four wickets.

Iram Javed for her 45-ball 55 was named best player of the match

ceee31d4-06d0-48b3-98e8-83abc74aadb3.jpg5bf927e4-e971-4529-97f2-16cb87ec38c9.jpg

Last edited:
Iram Javed bats Pakistan women to victory in third T20I

Lahore, 19 May 2019:

Iram Javed hit a gutsy half-century, while Nida Dar and Aliya Riaz made useful contributions to steer Pakistan women to a four-wicket victory over South Africa women in the third T20I in Pietermaritzburg on Sunday.

Iram scored 55 off 45 balls with six fours and six as Pakistan achieved the 139-run target with two balls and four wickets to spare to go 2-1 ahead in the five-match series.

Iram received good support from Nida Dar, who scored 32 from 28 balls with four fours and a six. Iram and Nada added 77 runs for the fourth wicket after Pakistan had slipped to three to three inside three overs.

After Nida departed, Iram found another useful partner in Aliya Riaz, who struck four fours and a six in a 24-ball 30 as the two batters put on 54 runs for the fifth wicket.

With seven runs required in the final over, Iram fell on the first delivery but Sana Mir scored the remaining six runs on the third and fourth deliveries to seal the match in Pakistan’s favour.

Earlier, South Africa women, batting first, reached 138 for four in 20 overs – thanks to an 80-run second wicket partnership between Tazmin Brits and Nadine de Klerk.

Brits returned unbeaten on 70 from 61 balls with nine fours and a six, while Klerk hit four fours in almost run-a-ball 36.

However, it was Sune Luus’s 18-ball cameo that produced 28 runs and included five fours, which lifted the home side to 138 for three. She dominated the unfinished 44-run fourth wicket partnership with Brits in just over four over.

The fourth match of the series will be played on 22 May in Benoni.

3rd T20I, Pietermaritzburg, Pakistan won by four wickets

Scores in brief

South Africa women 138-3, 20 overs (Tazmin Brits 70 not out, Nadine de Klerk 36, Sune Luus 28 not out)

Pakistan women 139-6, 19.4 overs (Imran Javed 55, Nida Dar 32, Aliya Riaz 30; Moseline Daniels 3-13)

Something to be proud of amidst this doom and gloom cast by the men.

PAKW 172/5 (20.0)
RSAW 174/6 (19.1)

South Africa Women won by 4 wickets

PLAYER OF THE MATCH: Lizelle Lee

South Africa women beat Pakistan women by four wickets to level T20I series

Lahore, 22 May 2019:

South Africa women beat Pakistan women by four wickets in the fourth T20I to level the five-match series at two-all at Willowmoore Park in Benoni on Wednesday.

Chasing a 173-run target, South Africa women achieved victory in the last over with four wickets remaining.

Lizelle Lee hit 11 fours in her 31-ball 60 runs knock. Lee added 74 runs for the first wicket with Tazmin Brits (18). Nadine de Klerk was the other notable run-scorer with 22.

Fatima Sana was the pick of the Pakistan women bowlers with figures of three for 27 in three overs.

Earlier, after being put into bat, Pakistan women scored 172 for five in 20 overs. Nida Dar top-scored with 75 that came off 37 balls and included eight fours and three sixes.

Her fifty came off 20 balls which is fastest in Pakistan women’s cricket and second fastest in women’s international cricket after New Zealand’s Sophie Devine scored a fifty in 18 balls against India in 2005 in Bangalore.

Nida also added 106 runs for the third wicket with Bismah Maroof, who scored run-a-ball 37 with six fours.

Aliya Riaz contributed with a quick-fire 35 not out off 17 balls with four fours and a six.

For South Africa women, Shabnim Ismail finished with figures of two for 22 in four overs.

Lee was later declared, player of the match.

The fifth and the final match of the series will be played tomorrow at the same venue.

4th T20I, Benoni, South Africa won by four wickets

Scores in brief:

Pakistan women 172-5, 20 overs (Nida Dar 75, Bismah Maroof 37; Shabnim Ismail 2-22)

South Africa women 174-6, 19.1 overs (Lizelle Lee 60, Nadine de Klerk 22; Fatima Sana 3-27)

IMG-20190523-WA0017.jpgIMG-20190523-WA0016.jpgIMG-20190523-WA0015.jpg

South Africa women team won the toss and elected to field first in the 5th T20I

Magical lee seals famous series win for proteas women

Thursday, 23 May 2019

Lizelle Lee smashed a second successive half-century in just over 24 hours and a career-best score as the Proteas Women clinched a famous series-winning nine-wicket victory over Pakistan in the final T20 International in Benoni on Thursday.

The opener blazed an unbeaten 48-ball 75, which included 11 fours and two sixes, as the hosts cruised to a 126-run victory target at Willowmoore Park with 29 deliveries to spare.

Lee put on exactly 100 for the second wicket with Nadine de Klerk (37 not out), a stand that ended unbroken, as she completed her 10th career T20I 50 and third of the series.

It completed a fine comeback for the South Africans, who had trailed 1-0 and 2-1 earlier in the sequence, before finally taking the lead in the decisive game.

On the final day of what has been a closely-fought tour between the sides, the home side won the toss and opted to bowl first, a decision that proved spot on as they restricted the Pakistanis to just 125/5.

All the bowlers shone, with Shabnim Ismail the pick of the bunch as she bagged 1/16.

The Proteas struck regularly, not allowing their opponents to get away as Tumi Sekhukhune (1/19), Moseline Daniels (1/25) De Klerk (1/10) and Sune Luus (1/22) were all amongst the wickets.

Player of the Series Nida Dar top-scored with 28 and was one of four players from the Asian side to reach the 20s – the others being captain Bismah Mahroof (23), Aliya Riaz (26 not out) and Javeria Khan (20).

But no one kicked on and that ultimately proved detrimental to Pakistan, whose modest total was no match for the home side.

Even though the home side lost Tazmin Brits (9) cheaply, Player of the Match Lee’s life-time best score that surpassed her previous high of 69 unbeaten against England at Johannesburg in 2016, was enough to hand the Proteas victory.

Proteas Women T20 team

Suné Luus (captain, Northerns), Chloe Tryon (vice-captain, KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Lizelle Lee (North West), Tazmin Brits (North West), Laura Wolvaardt (Western Province), Shabnim Ismail (Gauteng), Mignon du Preez (Northerns), Tumi Sekhukhune (North West), Masabata Klaas (North West), Marizanne Kapp (Eastern Province), Nadine De Klerk (Northerns), Moseline Daniels (Border), Nondumiso Shangase (KwaZulu-Natal Coastal), Sinalo Jafta (wicket-keeper, North West).

Lee and Klerk take South Africa women to series win

Lahore, 23 May 2019:

Lizelle Lee and Nadine de Klerk’s unbroken second wicket century stand helped South Africa women win the five-match T20I series 3-2 against Pakistan women on Thursday at Willowmoore Park in Benoni.

Lee, who was later adjudged, player of the match returned undefeated on 75 off 48 balls with 11 fours and two sixes, while Klerk scored an unbeaten 37 off 31 balls and struck six fours.

The pair added 100 runs for the second wicket as the hosts comfortably achieved the 126-run target in 15.1 overs with nine wickets remaining.

Earlier, after being sent into bat, Pakistan women reached 125 for five in 20 overs. Nida Dar scored a 17-ball 28 with a four and two sixes. Aliya Riaz 26 not out and Bismah Maroof (23) provided valuable support.

Nida Dar was later declared, player of the series for her all-round performance in the series. She scored a tally of 192 runs and captured five wickets in the series.

5th T20I, Benoni, South Africa women won by nine wickets

Scores in brief:

Pakistan women 125-5, 20 overs (Nida Dar 28, Aliya Riaz 26 not out)

South Africa women 127-1, 15.1 overs (Lizelle Lee 75 not out, Nadine de Klerk 37 not out)

Pak_vs_SA_23_May_2019_01.jpg
Pak_vs_SA_23_May_2019_02.jpg
Pak_vs_SA_23_May_2019_03.jpg

Back