Peter Siddle retires from Test cricket [Update Post #88]

PakFan85

Debutant
Runs
Just wanted to know people's thoughts on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor guy is a veggie and has done well too, hence I think the decision is very harsh.

Interesting, has been a solid and reliable performer for Australia.

Australia have a break from test cricket after this test, so he could have been given this test then asked to go away, rest and get his speeds up.

Seems a bit harsh to me IMO.

He will be back for the uae, would be surprised if harris is 100% by then.

It's a gamble but siddle and harris both looked stuffed in the 2nd test so i guess they felt they needed new blood.

Aus bowled too many overs in the last tests. Not a bad idea to have fresh bowlers. Watson being there will help as well.

Unfortunately, SA is too dependent on Steyn. If Steyn does the trick then SA wins otherwise it becomes very difficult for SA to win. That's been a trend in the last 6-7 tests. Vern is a good support bowler but lacks the penetration to run through sides unless pitch is a green mamba.

Last edited:
He was bowling around 122k at times in the last test. All the bowling has taken a toll on his body abs he has lost the steam. A much needed rest.

Biggest issue is who they dropped siddle for, patto has no first class games since june last year and to be honest he was poor in england and in his recent limited overs stuff.

Big gamble playing somebody with so little bowling or form behind them but by selecting bird and patto as the backup quicks for this tour we were never going to have an in form quick waiting to go as both have had almost no meaningful cricket lately.

Biggest issue is who they dropped siddle for, patto has no first class games since june last year and to be honest he was poor in england and in his recent limited overs stuff.

Big gamble playing somebody with so little bowling or form behind them but by selecting bird and patto as the backup quicks for this tour we were never going to have an in form quick waiting to go as both have had almost no meaningful cricket lately.
So they are both pretty dangerous especially considering lillee has been tutoring :johnson(<-- it should be a smiley)

Show the class and depth in their pace bowling stocks that they could drop someone like Siddle. In other news Tall and Mighty Ishant Sharma gets pencilled in as the first name in the Indian playing XI :69: Hey Aussies, if you dont want Siddle we will take him atleast he wont be bowling full tosses in the death overs

Last edited:
Cant understand this decision, siddle has been excellent in the last 3-4 series the aussies have played and a major part in the win against england

Hes had a avge couple of tests but it should take more than that to drop someone whos been your best performer over the last year or two

You need velocity. Can't be bowling at 130-135k if you're going to be front line fast for a Test match.

Aus bowled too many overs in the last tests. Not a bad idea to have fresh bowlers. Watson being there will help as well.

Unfortunately, SA is too dependent on Steyn. If Steyn does the trick then SA wins otherwise it becomes very difficult for SA to win. That's been a trend in the last 6-7 tests. Vern is a good support bowler but lacks the penetration to run through sides unless pitch is a green mamba.

It's the same for OZ to some extent with Jonno I think. But Morkel, Abbott and Cloudlander will have to step it up this Test if Steyn is injured. All eyes will be on the heavens tomorrow morning I think.

You need velocity. Can't be bowling at 130-135k if you're going to be front line fast for a Test match.

He started bowling around 125k.

I remember not too long ago Sids was bowling in the 150KPH. He will bounce back, I am sure.

If you don't have speed, unless you are the odd exception, you are going to have little success against the Saffers used to batting on pace friendly surfaces. Siddle will be a handful against other test nations.

I have posted a few times that his drop in pace is concerning. I am a fan of the great man but you can't be bowling at that speed without extra bounce or movement. Needs to rest up and eat a steak.

If Siddle played this match he would have turned into a spinner having a vegetarian/vegan diet and bowling fast doesn't go together look at India he needs to get some meat and protein in him

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Unless you have something up your sleeve (such as height or a great ability to move the ball) I believe that there is a certain minimum speed you need for test cricket.

Siddle has fallen below that and can't threaten batsmen anymore.

Does anyone know what's happened to Siddle? He is playing his first game in country cricket this season and his current match figures are 0 for 115.

Is he in decline? Will he lose his place in the Aussie team?

He has been a pretty average bowler to begin with, but some folks got carried away with a few performances here and there. Has absolutely no skill with the ball, just a big heart and that only takes you to a certain point.

Just wanted to know people's thoughts on it.

Surprising. His attitude is always excellent and he bowled really well at KP.

Someone else will have to do the stock bowler's job now. Who fits the bill?

For the kind of bowler he is, pace is his main weapon. Last time I saw him he was cranking it up quite well.

Re: Peter Siddle dropped for not being quick enough

Should be done same with Gul..

Surprising. His attitude is always excellent and he bowled really well at KP.

Someone else will have to do the stock bowler's job now. Who fits the bill?

Bird, Behrendorff, Coulter-Nile, Cutting, Hogan (I wish)

We're well equipped.

Australia's pace battery is too rich....Starc, Cummins, Bird, Pattinson, Harris, Johnson, CoulterNile and there's still a lot more.

Many of those are constantly injured or in starc's case injured and massively over rated.

Will he stick to being a veggie even though it will more or less kill his bowling?

It is a personal thing for him but I am sure he must have considered eating meat ever since his decline in pace.

Many of those are constantly injured or in starc's case injured and massively over rated.

Yeah. Behrendorff is a significantly better first class bowler than Starc.

I also rate Hazlewood higher.

True true but Starc has a deadly inswinger
Yeah. Behrendorff is a significantly better first class bowler than Starc.

I also rate Hazlewood higher.

All the more reason why I say Aus have such a rich battery of pacers.

Behrendorff swings it both ways and has far more control than Starc.

Not as fast though but he's got enough pace in him.

Behrendorff's action is a bit poor .. he's very tall and I think will suffer a few injuries the way he's bowling now.

I can't believe people don't rate Starc lol.

Behrendorff's action is a bit poor .. he's very tall and I think will suffer a few injuries the way he's bowling now.

I can't believe people don't rate Starc lol.

Starc hasn't done much at first class level yet. He's got talent but he should not be near test selection at the moment.

I was at the ground when he took a fivefer against South Africa. It wasn't very impressive at all.

Just read on Cricinfo that Siddle has regained pace and strength. Any idea how quick he is now?

Just read on Cricinfo that Siddle has regained pace and strength. Any idea how quick he is now?

My first instinct is that it is a puff piece because injuries gave them no choice but to select him

[MENTION=132373]Convict[/MENTION]
How come you guys do not select Hilfenhaus. A pretty good bowler. I rate him highly.

[MENTION=132373]Convict[/MENTION]
How come you guys do not select Hilfenhaus. A pretty good bowler. I rate him highly.

Fell apart a lot and lost his swing. Sometimes he devolves it round arm trash - see the 2010/11 Ashes.

Somehow made this squad but that's more to do with injuries and I think he's a long, long way back in the queue in reality

My gut feel is that Coulter-Nile and Hazelwood are ahead of him in the selectors opinion

Fell apart a lot and lost his swing. Sometimes he devolves it round arm trash - see the 2010/11 Ashes.

Somehow made this squad but that's more to do with injuries and I think he's a long, long way back in the queue in reality

My gut feel is that Coulter-Nile and Hazelwood are ahead of him in the selectors opinion

This guy could swing it much. He was a good bowler to watch with his out-swingers.

The heading is confusing, at first sight I thought he was dropped against Pakistan for the Test starting tomorrow, but understood lately it couldn't be that.

Warne "i have a new delivery"
McGrath "5-0"
Brett Lee "im bowling faster than ever"

Usual puff piece on Siddle, lets see how he bowls when the Test is on.

He has clearly lost it. This may well be his last appearance for Australia.

Cannot compete with the likes of Harris and a fit Cummins at any level.

He has clearly lost it. This may well be his last appearance for Australia.

Cannot compete with the likes of Harris and a fit Cummins at any level.

Nah. He'll play next test.

From what I heard he wasn't going to play against India anyway.

Hazlewood will get the jig. Maybe even Coulter-Nile

You don't have any other pacer in the squad? Next Test may well be his last then. Looking out of sorts.

Well atm Siddle is barely international class. Starc can make the ball sing at least.

Well atm Siddle is barely international class. Starc can make the ball sing at least.

Yeah Starc would have been much more useful i think. Siddle has always been a 3rd seamer whose job is to bowl tight and keep the runs dowmn. Not a strike bowler.

Siddle is the Junaid of Australia. A great year or so but was never top drawer.

You don't have any other pacer in the squad? Next Test may well be his last then. Looking out of sorts.

Starc and Hilfenhaus are in the squad (and Faulkner)

None fill me with any confidence. Starc might have the ability to get wickets but he's the worse option to partner Johnson.
Though maybe we should play him just to have an all Mitchell pace attack.

Siddle needs to be taken behind the sheds and put down

^ Sorry, but he reminds me of him. Similar bowler. Big heart, a work horse but lacking in skill.

Siddle thrives in SA and Australian type conditions. He has been exposed in the SC.

The pacers have been ok, very economical. It is the spinners who have let Australia down in this test match. Cannot win in the SC without decent spin options.

Siddle was Australia's best bowler till Johnson hit his purple patch but now he looks like distorted or something

Is it just a coincidence that ever since Siddle turned vegan he has lost his pace and zip?

He may deny it all he wants but this is what has happened?

I like Siddle. Gives it all and never shies away from the hard yards

Is it just a coincidence that ever since Siddle turned vegan he has lost his pace and zip?

Nope. I think unlimited overs in test matches. The body eventually gives away.

Starc is a better choice, in the last ODI he was getting reverse swing.

The concern with Starc is that he is too loose, no debate that he has real skill with the ball. But based on this Test it doesn't seem the Pakistan batsmen are going to attack our pacers much.

What is with australian cricketers and injuries? Are they china made or something?

All the young bowlers have come up in a regime which limits how much bowling they can do in a game. And with professional weights programs. My theory is they spend too much time in the gym, which actually makes you immobile and not enough time bowling.

All the young bowlers have come up in a regime which limits how much bowling they can do in a game. And with professional weights programs. My theory is they spend too much time in the gym, which actually makes you immobile and not enough time bowling.

Hmm must be the case. On the other hand some of our players seem like dont even bother going to the gym. Living the YOLO life. :inzi

Next game

1. Warner
2. Rogers
3. Smith
4. Clarke*
5. Marsh
6. Maxwell
7. Haddin+
8. Johnson
9. Starc
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Lyon

As long as he is taking supplements, vegan diet is not the issue

I think o'Keefe might be better value than Marsh with bat and ball in the UAE.

Play Maxwell and drop Marsh, he is one of few Australian batsmen that can play spin really well

Back