[PICTURES] Accusations of 'pitch doctoring' emerge ahead of the 1st Test between India and Australia

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Every time a Test series is held in India, accusations of the hosts preparing a wicket that overwhelmingly suits them are made. With just a day to go before the Border-Gavaskar series between India and Australia begins in Nagpur, a few Aussie 'experts' have accused India of 'doctoring' the pitch to suit their team.

A few pictures of the pitch surfaced on social media on Tuesday, with Steve Smith suggesting that the wicket was 'pretty dry'.

The Australian batter also went into details, suggesting left-arm spinners are likely to extract extensive help. Back in Australia, some of the former cricketers and experts have called for the International Cricket Council's intervention on the matter.

As per a report in Fox Cricket, reporters on the ground claimed that only the center of the Nagpur wicket was watered and rolled, whereas the exact area which will be targeted by left-handers was left dry.

Such a step was reportedly taken at both ends of the wicket, with accusations of there being an attempt to make things difficult for left-handers, like David Warner, Usman Khawaja, and Travis Head.

One of the cricket writers in Australia went on to label India's preparation as 'pitch doctoring'.

"The classic saying about pitches is, 'Oh, it's the same for everyone'," Robert Craddock said on SEN. "When the Gabba pitch had too much grass left on it, people were saying, 'Yes, it was not a great wicket, but it was the same everyone'.

"But you can't say that about this pitch. Australia has six left-handers in their top eight, so if you start multi-preparing parts of the deck that's straight-up pitch doctoring, it's poor.

"Ninety percent of me feels frustrated about it, but the other 10 percent is it's a narrative for the series, it's just building up beautifully, isn't it?

"It's a bit of old-fashioned hijinks. Test cricket needs these plots and the drama side of me enjoys it," he said.

Former Australia all-rounder Simon O'Donnell said that the ICC should step in and look into the matter if they feel something isn't right.

FoaRD1NakAAnUf-

"The ICC should step in and do something about it, if they think it's not right," he said.

"If they think the pitch is not right, there'll be an ICC referee at the game and the ICC will be watching this game. But there's so many when it comes to India, we have all of these discussions, and nothing seems to happen.

"If they really think there's a pitch here that doesn't play to the normal standards of test cricket and the characteristics of this ground, then the ICC need to do something," he added.

With the pitch being a dry, spinners will understandably get plenty of help from the surface. The Indian team, hence is reportedly planning to play three spinners in the playing XI.

NDTV

The Border-Gavaskar Trophy between India and Australia hasn't even begun, and accusations of the Nagpur pitch, where the first Test is to take place, being ‘doctored' have been made. Some Australian journalists and former cricketers feel India are preparing the pitch differently in different segments. When India skipper Rohit Sharma was asked about this in the press conference on Wednesday, he gave the perfect response. Rohit, speaking to journalists in Nagpur on the eve of the first Test, said that the focus needs to be on the match and not the pitch.

“Just focus on cricket and not the pitch. After all the 22 guys out there are all quality players,” Rohit said in response to the question.

Speaking of the pitch, Rohit admitted that the surface is going to offer help to spinners. Hence, he stressed on the importance of rotating strike.

“It is important to have a plan and figure a way. Everyone has a different method. Some like to sweep some reverse some hitting over the bowler. You need to rotate strike and sometimes you need to counterattack.

“The captains would obviously try different things and change fields and bowlers. So you need to plan and play accordingly,” he added.
Speaking of the highly-anticipated series, Rohit admitted that beating Australia in the 4-match Test assignment will be challenging, though India have put in the required work to best prepare themselves for a positive result.

"We have four solid test matches to play in the BGT and we would want to win the series. It is going to be a challenging series and we have to be up for it. Preparation is the key. If you prepare well, you get results," he asserted.

NDTV

India lost Nagpur 2004 and subsequently the series because of a Mir Jafar (Shashank Manohar). He prepared a green pitch to help Aussies.

That Mir Jafar went on to undermine India in ICC.

But we are slowly moving away from crabs in a bucket mentality. This time Aussies will experience the true heat of Vidarbha.

:sa

India Pitch Doctoring; Should ICC intervene?

Australia has 5 left arm batsman in their first 7 to bat, so the curator made a dustbowl only for the left handed batters. Light on the right-hand side, which shows that the pitch has not been watered

This is the pitch where India vs Australia will take place on:

f057809d-7b75-459e-b3bf-4b65c8580054.jpg

This is clear cheating. Now will ICC issue points against the pitch?

Australia has 5 left arm batsman in their first 7 to bat, so the curator made a dustbowl only for the left handed batters. Light on the right-hand side, which shows that the pitch has not been watered

View attachment 118560

Yes it should be banned right away and test match should be awarded to Australia.

Embarrassing stuff and this is clearly cheating IMO. We have a solid test side and don't need these tactics to win a cricket match. We just beat Aust in Aust twice in back to nack tours. What is the need of pitch tampering?

India always used to serve good wickets before where fast bowlers used to get assistance in couple of hours on Day 1 and then it used to be good for batting for remaining 3 days. Last 2 days used to assist spinners.

Not sure why we are serving these spin mamba's recently. That Eng series in 2021 where test matches were getting over in 2 days were shambolic. Channel 4 (terrestrial channel) took the tv right in UK after many years to telecast cricket from that series but after the debacle pitches we served they are maintaining pedestrian distance from this sport.

Pitches are the main reason why I personally don't enjoy test cricket played in India and mostly prefer LOIs. Love test matches in SENA countries only.

It’s a custom made pitch for Ashwin and jadeja as usual. I read that Ashwin doesn’t have a 5fer outside SC and West Indies lol.

Which was the shortest test match of recent times?

Clue : In Australia

View attachment 118560

This is blatant cheating if I ever saw it. Pathetic cowardly doctoring.
Only thing Indians will have in defense is whataboutism. But this is beyond even whataboutery...this is some gully mohala level cheating :yk

Australia clocking up on the excuses already.

This is blatant cheating if I ever saw it. Pathetic cowardly doctoring.
Only thing Indians will have in defense is whataboutism. But this is beyond even whataboutery...this is some gully mohala level cheating :yk

It’s a pitch made for Ashwin to get a 5fer as he can’t get one outside his comfort zone.

Australian journalists and ex-players need to have a bit of shame and stop talking about pitches after losing two home series.

This is literally the definition of cheating. A turning wicket is fine as both teams will be playing on the same wicket but creating a turning wicket with specific patches that will only benefit your bowlers and batsman is taking an unfair advantage.

Australia clocking up on the excuses already.

Selective watering and spot preparing is probably too much. Common why make it harder for left handers than right handers? I mean WTH.

I dont understand why India are so desperate to doctor the pitches? they have a good chance of winning the series anyway. I would understand if someone like Pakistan were doctoring the pitches this style wouldn't still be right.

Its india's home ground. They can prepare wickets to their liking. Nobody should be allowed to criticize india for taking hone advantage. Moreover, both teams will play on same pitch. No need to whine like crazy losers.

Australian journalists and ex-players need to have a bit of shame and stop talking about pitches after losing two home series.

It's not a crime to lose.

Blatant cheating like this needs to be called out.

Since when did Australia become like England. They haven't even played yet. Already whining.

Advanced whining to discredit if India wins. They lost 2 back to back series in Australia. So they are worried about this crazy streak

You have to be blind/stupid/dishonest to see nothing wrong with this kind of doctoring.

Aussies used to be considered real men(tm) of cricket. Reduced to crying even before a ball is bowled.

They won in Pune last time. Why are they watering deserts of Australia with salty tears?

The doctoring is next level too that's why.
Sorry whining is common from England. But Ozzie whining before match is new level. India has probably one of the weakest batting line up against any spin in history. This is like digging their own gra e.

Aussies used to be considered real men(tm) of cricket. Reduced to crying even before a ball is bowled.

They won in Pune last time. Why are they watering deserts of Australia with salty tears?

Advance dilution of possible win. Even as an Indian fan I am not uber confident with a bunch of out of form 30 plus players. No pant No Iyer Two of the best against spin. No bumrah.

Lol india defeated them twice at australian soil. India dont need any doctoring to defeat australia.

Lol india defeated them twice at australian soil. India dont need any doctoring to defeat australia.
This.

Hope the ones who are sooking about Indian pitches will probably learn a thing or two from this. Funniest part is, no Australian fan here has yet sooked about the pitches.

It’s a pitch made for Ashwin to get a 5fer as he can’t get one outside his comfort zone.
He has still done more in Australia than both Ws did in all the tests they played in Australia.

View attachment 118560

Didn't ICC revoke demerit points for Rawalpindi. And you were in agreement with me that only a dangerous pitch should be fined. . This is not a dangerous pitch. What changed now ? :)

Ghar mai ghus ke maara tha, vo bhi 2 baar,.rona to banta hai.

Also this is India B side, if Australia still lose then it will tell us how bad they are in Asian conditions. (Not including Pakistan as anyone can beat pak in pak)

This.

Hope the ones who are sooking about Indian pitches will probably learn a thing or two from this. Funniest part is, no Australian fan here has yet sooked about the pitches.

TBH, its been reported in our national media as well. I think Sports Tak correspondent's were there at the ground yesterday and first broke the news that they have selectively watered the pitch. Aparently they watered and rolled the entire pitch except off stump area for left handed batsman in both end. This is bcoz Aussies have 7 left handed bat and we have 2 left arm seamers who can take advantage of that dry patch. :))

This.

Ah, yes this :yk

Not one Aussie fan among the tonnes we have here has complained :yk

So Aussies aren't complaining, yet you guys are saying Aussies are whining. Make up yer mind.

Ghar mai ghus ke maara tha, vo bhi 2 baar,.rona to banta hai.

Also this is India B side, if Australia still lose then it will tell us how bad they are in Asian conditions. (Not including Pakistan as anyone can beat pak in pak)

Australia are 5 times champions and won every trophy there is to win in Cricket to go with that they are rich country with more olympic gold etc with cricket being 2nd biggest sport in the country.

Compare that to India please dont sound so embarrassing. Country of over 1.5billion with only one sport resorting to pitch doctoring to new levels doesnt sound anything to brag about.

Selective watering of pitches happened in Pakistan under your greatest captain Imran as well. Especially when West Indies toured.

Noice. Let's just make shiz up as we go.

Here we literally have the proof infront of our eyes.

Australia are 5 times champions and won every trophy there is to win in Cricket to go with that they are rich country with more olympic gold etc with cricket being 2nd biggest sport in the country.

Compare that to India please dont sound so embarrassing. Country of over 1.5billion with only one sport resorting to pitch doctoring to new levels doesnt sound anything to brag about.

And their first sport is not played by any other country. 😆

Ah, yes this :yk

Not one Aussie fan among the tonnes we have here has complained :yk

So Aussies aren't complaining, yet you guys are saying Aussies are whining. Make up yer mind.
You've comprehension issues. Read slowly what's mentioned in Australian press about pitches and then who is sooking about the pitches on this thread.

You'll know the difference.

You've comprehension issues. Read slowly what's mentioned in Australian press about pitches and then who is sooking about the pitches on this thread.

You'll know the difference.

Ya so who is sooking? :yk

And their first sport is not played by any other country. ��

And? I think my post stands for itself which in response for brainless bragging. Again why take pitch doctoring to new levels?

I think Australia’s whining and crying about Indian pitches even before the trip started got BCCI’s goat 😂

Imo, i don’t think it’s doctoring because it will impact LHBs of both team equally. Nobody told Australia to pack 7 LHBs in the playing 11.

Who sets the levels? Pakistan?

The levels were set out historically but it seems Indians wants to the levels higher. I see the desperation and embarrassment in your post Pakistan have only just started playing at home again. Why target Pakistan for such new levels of pitch doctoring.

India don't need to resort to this.

However why would you pick so many LHBs anyway, whatever the pitch, knowing Ashwin's record vs LHBs ?

I think Australia’s whining and crying about Indian pitches even before the trip started got BCCI’s goat ��

Imo, i don’t think it’s doctoring because it will impact LHBs of both team equally. Nobody told Australia to pack 7 LHBs in the playing 11.

Its about making it easier for right handers and harder for left handers on purpose to gain some sort of advantage for me that's a red flag of doctoring.

As I said, you have to be either stupid or dishonest to see nothing wrong with this.

I see both kind on this thread.

As I said, you have to be either stupid or dishonest to see nothing wrong with this.

Its red flag doctoring ICC have to take over pitch preparations from here on. India has resorted to this with keeping Australia's form in mind and also needing to win by clear 3 matches.

The levels were set out historically but it seems Indians wants to the levels higher. I see the desperation and embarrassment in your post Pakistan have only just started playing at home again. Why target Pakistan for such new levels of pitch doctoring.

When did Pakistan doctor their pitches anyway? I think fans are confusing Pakistan with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Pakistan are known for dishing out flat tracks to touring teams which actually gives them a chance to win/draw too. :inti

Its red flag doctoring ICC have to take over pitch preparations from here on. India has resorted to this with keeping Australia's form in mind and also needing to win by clear 3 matches.

Did India doctor the pitches when they toured AUS the last 2 times? This AUS team is not the 90s n 2000s one which was packed with legends. So no need to go out of their way to produce desired results.

Is there any law about preparing pitch?
So far what I found is umpires/match referee decides whats playable and what's not. If anyone know what the law says that will be helpful...OR there is no law regarding pitch preparation?

Why do you always come up with silly arguments/defense which has nothing to do with the topic at hand? What has Imran got to do with India vs Australia series? Or are you once again trying to justify it by hiding behind Pakistan? :facepalm :inti

The point is selevtive watering of pitches is not new.

Third one is whining which is appropriate. Given that not a single ball has been bowled yet. Just because Steve Smith gives expert opinio

Third one is whining which is appropriate. Given that not a single ball has been bowled yet. Just because Steve Smith gives expert opinio

You don't need the match to start to call out cheating. What is this logic?

Last edited:
Have A Cracking Series": Irfan Pathan Takes Dig At Australia With Image Of WACA Pitch

Taking to Twitter, Pathan shared a picture of the pitch, with a caption: "Let's Have A Cracking Series".

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Let’s have a cracking series <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BGT2023?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#BGT2023</a> <a href="https://t.co/P18q1mNFPB">pic.twitter.com/P18q1mNFPB</a></p>— Irfan Pathan (@IrfanPathan) <a href="https://twitter.com/IrfanPathan/status/1623280306244702210?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 8, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by a moderator:
Aussies' best batsmen Smith and Labushagne are both righties. So this is absurd whinging

Lol, well said Pathan. Sooks will keep sooking especially when it's convenient for them since India is involved.

Aussies' best batsmen Smith and Labushagne are both righties. So this is absurd whinging
Sooks will still not stop whingeing. And why should Nagpur curator be concerned about how many LH bats Australia is playing?

What is next? Hey rhey are preparing pitches for short guys not tall guys This is special type of whining. Smith and Labu their main players are righties. Travis head struggles against spin even in Australia. Warner is on his last legs. Don't they realize pitch will be completely dry in one session?

This is crazy...
Which home team prepares the pitch to suit the strength of the best bowler of the opposition team ?? who also by far is the best spinner in the series !! The one who has already tormented you many a times before has been armed to the teeth...has been given the red carpet. A mine field on off side against batters who can't play off spin?? ...Can already imagine him licking his lips....

Going to be a carnage...

Going to be beyond madness...

Is this the first time ever in Tests that a home team has prepared a pitch which suits the strength of opposition ??

Too bold a challenge thrown...what an exciting way to start a mouth watering Test series.

Australia to wrap it in three days... :inti

a few articles have come out since yesterday with journos speaking to other indian curators. a couple of curators have said selective watering is not new and they've been doing it since many years. there are a million techniques of selective watering, selective rolling, selective trimming of grass etc they can and they have been making variety of pitches since ages.

Let me spell this out.

Thread is about.... INDIA

Stick to that only.

This is crazy...
Which home team prepares the pitch to suit the strength of the best bowler of the opposition team ?? who also by far is the best spinner in the series !! The one who has already tormented you many a times before has been armed to the teeth...has been given the red carpet. A mine field on off side against batters who can't play off spin?? ...Can already imagine him licking his lips....

Going to be a carnage...

Going to be beyond madness...

Is this the first time ever in Tests that a home team has prepared a pitch which suits the strength of opposition ??

Too bold a challenge thrown...what an exciting way to start a mouth watering Test series.

Australia to wrap it in three days... :inti

India has rarely done well against visiting spinners on a turning wicket. Root picked fiber in the pink ball test. This talk about benefitting right hander is nonsense. On a turning wicket you will struggle against all spinners.. Mehidy hassan performance vs india was an example

Ashwins target area against lefties is off stump. He takes the ball away or brings it in. He just needs ag ball and red soil pitch offering slight variation.

Former Indian cricket team captain Sunil Gavaskar was highly critical of Australia for ‘playing mind games' ahead of the Test series against India starting February 9. The controversy started when Ian Healy commented on the pitches on offer in India and his claim was backed by a number of Australian ex-cricketers. Gavaskar cited the example of the Test match against South Africa that ended in two days at Brisbane and said that the visitors do not have any position to criticise.

"The Aussies have started the mind games by talking about the pitches that were on offer when they toured here last. A country where a Test match finishes in two days has no right to moan about Indian pitches. The Brisbane game against South Africa finished in two days. It's not just the matter of the game finishing in two days, but the kind of pitch that was prepared. With the ball flying all over the place it was dangerous to life and limb. On a turner the only issue is the reputation of batters that is in danger and not their life and limb," Gavaskar wrote in his column for Mid-Day.

In the past few days, the Australian team has more than once predicted a rank turner as the pitch of choice for the hosts. Gavaskar said that the ability to play spin bowling properly is the mark of a good batsman and as a result, a pitch like that will be a challenge for both sides.

"What the two-day finish in Brisbane showed was that even the best batters of both teams had their hearts in their mouths. Of course, some sections of the Oz media made excuses saying since it's a batters game, a pitch like that gives the bowlers some chance. Oh yeah, then why crib when the pitches in the sub-continent turn from Day one. Playing spin is the ultimate challenge for a 'batter as it tests his footwork and the use of the crease to nullify the turn. There are mind games with the bowler too, that's why those who score a century or more in the sub-continent will be recognised as great batters," the former Indian skipper further wrote.

The first Test match between India and Australia will take place in Nagpur.

NDTV

Australia captain Pat Cummins has played down pitch concerns in Nagpur ahead of the series opener against India, but former great Simon O'Donnell has called for the ICC to step in.

The pitch at the Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium finds itself under the spotlight even before the match starts with several Australian media pointing out that groundstaff had left the area outside left-handers' off-stump dry at both ends.

Australia's playing XI, which Cummins would not reveal, could potentially feature five left-handed batsmen in their top seven, but the paceman appeared unperturbed.

"That's part of the challenge of playing away," Cummins, whose team just need to avoid a 4-0 whitewash to make the final of the World Test Championship in June, said.

"Home teams want to win at home. In Australia, we're lucky we've normally got pace and bounce.

"Home match advantage, I don't think it's a terrible thing. It's another challenge and makes touring over here even harder when you know the conditions are custom-made for them."

Rival captain Rohit Sharma shot down suggestions that India had rolled out a 'doctored pitch' for the contest.

"You just need to focus on the cricket that will be played on the next five days, and not worry too much about the pitch," he said.

"All 22 players who will be playing here are quality cricketers...You just got to come out and play good cricket to win the game, as simple as that."

Rohit said batters from both sides would have to think on their feet to counter-spin.

"When the ball spins a lot, your method of scoring runs becomes very important," explained the opener.

"You'll have to rotate strike, and see how can you score runs - sweep, reverse sweep, using your feet.

"That's what we've told the boys - 'find your own ways of scoring runs'. It's going to be challenging.

"Australia have a couple of quality spinners who can trouble us, no doubt about that."

It comes after Aussie great Simon O'Donnell called for the International Cricket Council to intervene in the preparation of the pitch.

"The ICC should step in and do something about it, if they think it's not right," O'Donnell told SEN Breakfast.

"If they think the pitch is not right, there'll be an ICC referee at the game and the ICC will be watching this game.

"But there's so many when it comes to India, we have all of these discussions, and nothing seems to happen.

"If they really think there's a pitch here that doesn't play to the normal standards of Test cricket and the characteristics of this ground, then the ICC need to do something."

SKY

Australian coach to his boys after pitch inspection : ""Sabse pehle to aapne ghabrana nahi hai""

Regarding the pitches - nothing wrong with the home side preparing them to suit themselves.

I mean Australia wouldn't prepare rank turners if India toured there would they.

Can someone explain me how this works? How would this be disadvantageous for LH batsmen?

The surface at the moment based on the above picture looks different outside the off stump of the left-handers.

Back